PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help me fine tune my Monk

KingSmitty
2015-04-17, 09:33 AM
Enter Bandar Mallovay, the Fist of Stonepot.

I need your help with this build, Im allowed this one retrain and I'm done meddling around with my past levels.

Azurin Human (+2 wis) level 5 (Monk4,Swordsage1)
Abilities: 10/15/14/13/18/12

I'm using the fractional variant for BAB and saves

I am allowed as many flaws & traits as I want :)

Traits: Quick (+10ft speed -1hp/lvl), Aggressive (+2 initative -1AC)
Flaws: Inattentive (-4 Listen/Spot), Shaky (-2 to ranged attacks), Vulnerable (-1 AC), Pathetic (-2 to one score:CHA)

So far for feats I've chosen:

Human: Jotunbrud
Flaws: Dodge, Mobility Combat Expertise, Intuitive Attack, Improved Initiative
level 1: Quick Draw Two Weapon Fighting or Imp Trip
level 3: Superior Unarmed Strike
Monk Bonus Feats: Improved Grapple & Combat Reflexes

Dark Moon Disciple lvl3 monk ACF for darkvision

Maneuvers are still being worked on, I'm focusing mostly on movement & grapple/trip related ones. With Jotunbrud and the improved versions, Grapples are at a +11 before maneuver granted bonuses, not too bad with no strength score, +12 at level 6.

At level 6 comes the decisions. Im looking to get into Shadow Sun Ninja for obvious reasons.

The feat for level 6 is my problem. Should I take imp natural attack for more damage, or Stonewalker Fist for +4 vs metal armored foes?

More damage seems like it is a good choice over the bonus to attack that looks very appealing when we go against armored foes, but I am unsure.

Going forward I don't know where to go. This build isn't entirely optimal I know, but we aren't a heavily optimized group (actually FAR from it) so its okay.

Things I'm looking at:
Shintao Monk 1 for +4 to an ability score & progressing unarmed damage
Shiba Protector 1 for wis to attack again (need some feats I don't have just yet)
Shou Disciple for an extra attack and unarmed damage progression
Crusader for healing shenanigans
Swordsage 2 for wis to AC again, but I'll have to wait till my IL is high enough probably at level 7 (DM letting it stack with monk AC bonus and letting it work unarmored too)
Elusive Target to divert one enemy's attack to another enemy
TWF for flurry and spear usage
Snap Kick for extra attack, though it looks like flurry is better than a full attack currently

Im really mostly interested in progressing unarmed damage and flurry, but I'll take progressions for AC and movement speed if i can.

Magic items are not what I'm looking for. Our campaigns run horribly below WBL and after I get some permanencied spells on me I plan on taking Sacred Vow at level 9 and Vow of Poverty at 12 for superhuman bonuses so the only thing Ill be allowed are spells cast on me permanently before I take my vow :smalltongue:

any insight is greatly appreciated.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-17, 09:56 AM
What was this character concept supposed to be?

KingSmitty
2015-04-17, 10:43 AM
My concept is basically a martial arts master, who's been thrown into a situation in which he's responsible for the safety of a town.

Basically I want to use my maneuvers and combat abilities to be a pain in the ass for the enemy, if they start charging at me use my Counter Charge maneuver, and utilize mobility to get the heck out of dodge. I am using a long spear, so I can get some reach and protection against charging foes. Once I get improved Nat Atk I know ill have a lot more power, currently with maneuvers I'm out damaging our only other melee user, a Cleric of Heironeus.

Basically I want to be a martial arts expert that nobody can compete with.

Flickerdart
2015-04-17, 10:44 AM
Mobility? Quick Draw? -2 HP/level on an already fragile character? What are you trying to do?

KingSmitty
2015-04-17, 10:50 AM
Mobility? Quick Draw? -2 HP/level on an already fragile character? What are you trying to do?

hehe, I said we're not an optimized Group. The -2hp negates my constitution bonus sure, but I've been owning everything so far, and that was with 2 levels of Warlock with abilities I didn't use at all. So now the rewrite, with a bit more oomph and perhaps a bit less health. But I'm okay with that.

I suppose I could drop the one flaw and quick draw to make it just mobility and -1hp/lvl...the quick trait is staying unfortunately. I like to run away quickly...maybe ill take travel devotion or something haha.

the problem is Mobility is a prereq for some abilities I'd like to nab at later levels, but again I am unsure.

EDIT: fixed that one flaw to one with a better penalty, changed some feats around..