PDA

View Full Version : Avariel elves as playable race

Spacehamster
2015-04-17, 09:44 AM
So if you take the birdmen as base to make the flying elf race what would you guys and gals change? 2 DEX seems right but maybe +1 CHA instead of WIS? And same drawback of impossible to fly with heavier then light armor.

Madfellow
2015-04-17, 11:11 AM
I'd say make it a subrace. Keep the wisdom bonus, same as wood elf. Maybe limit flight to once per short rest or something like that (general consensus is at will flight is OP at low levels).

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-04-17, 11:14 AM
They would defiantly be an elf subrace. Traditionally, they favor divine classes, and in older editions they had a Wisdom bonus.

Winged Elf (Avariel)
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom increases by 1.
Elf Weapon Training. As per High Elf and Wood Elf.
Flight. You have a flying speed of 50 feet. To use this speed, you can't be wearing medium or heavy armor.
Language. You can speak, read, and write Auran.

This would be an Uncommon race that you would have to ask your DM about before building a character. Personally, I would love to play one, but as a DM I would ask them to choose a standard race unless I had planned for flying races when I was building the campaign.

Spacehamster
2015-04-17, 11:46 AM
I'd say make it a subrace. Keep the wisdom bonus, same as wood elf. Maybe limit flight to once per short rest or something like that (general consensus is at will flight is OP at low levels).

Thought having int or cha would be better since wis is a stronger stat and as you said flight is quite powerful in this edition. :) altho at lvl 1 I would say it's more dangerous then op since you have so few hp and if you get shot down to 0 hp while in the air the fall might very well kill you. :)

dukeofwolfsgate
2015-04-17, 11:48 AM
altho at lvl 1 I would say it's more dangerous then op since you have so few hp and if you get shot down to 0 hp while in the air the fall might very well kill you. :)

Dangerously true.:smallbiggrin:

Dontdestroyme
2015-04-17, 12:03 PM
I would make it an elf sub race that gets nothing extra but a fly speed. That's already more powerful than aaracokra I think with the normal elven facials.

SharkForce
2015-04-17, 03:26 PM

i wouldn't say the general consensus is that at-will flight is OP at low levels. annoying at all levels, certainly. you have to keep it in mind, because it will change things. but it isn't game-breaking or anything. certainly, level 1 PCs have to deal with their enemies having it all the time, and it doesn't break the game for them.

personally, i'd shave off some speed. a big part of the problem is not just that it is flight, it's that it is 50 foot flight. that is almost as good as a rogue's cunning action to dash (equally good if the rogue is a halfling) minus the need to spend a bonus action, and cunning action is widely considered to be one of the most valued abilities in the game... admittedly, it wouldn't let you disengage or hide (each of which are also excellent), but then, not needing to use the bonus action is a big benefit as well.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-17, 03:55 PM
Personally, as wood elf, replacing hiding in woods and 5ft more speed with "You gain a flight speed of 40 for an hour a day whilst wearing armour no heavier than light."

And then add a racial feat for:
- No time limit.
- +5 foot speed both on foot and land
- Ability to use medium armour whilst flying.