PDA

View Full Version : Help with an unusual build

Illiterate Scribe
2007-04-15, 10:39 AM
Righty, we're playing in Planescape / Faerun, and I've decided to play something unusual. I mentioned it before, in the discussion of how to give an intelligence '-' creature an intelligence (no longer needed due to Rich's excellent intelligent ooze template) but now I've got to make the build.

Living Spell: Planar Bubble (Concordant Plane of the Outlands).

That's right, I'm saddled with a PC who is completely immune to magic, magic items, and even SDAs, but, in turn, can't use any itself. This was due to some unfortunate egging on by fellow players.

Problem is, I can't think what to make it. I will be taking Vow of Poverty (which was ruled to give Ex not Su bonuses at last errata), but beyond that I'm somewhat stumped. I was thinking of either tanking, and going for a warblade, or being a skill-based character, going off into exemplar. We're starting at ECL 14, and most obscure rules will be fine, so long as they aren't on the WotC Theoretical Optimisation board! One thing I was definitely thinking of taking was the SS flying creature template - it will be essential.

Thoughts?

Kyace
2007-04-15, 01:50 PM
Fighter that also uses Grapple while wizard casts Wall of Fire/Prismatic Wall/Cloudkill?

ZekeArgo
2007-04-15, 01:58 PM
Righty, we're playing in Planescape / Faerun, and I've decided to play something unusual. I mentioned it before, in the discussion of how to give an intelligence '-' creature an intelligence (no longer needed due to Rich's excellent intelligent ooze template) but now I've got to make the build.

Living Spell: Planar Bubble (Concordant Plane of the Outlands).

That's right, I'm saddled with a PC who is completely immune to magic, magic items, and even SDAs, but, in turn, can't use any itself. This was due to some unfortunate egging on by fellow players.

Problem is, I can't think what to make it. I will be taking Vow of Poverty (which was ruled to give Ex not Su bonuses at last errata), but beyond that I'm somewhat stumped. I was thinking of either tanking, and going for a warblade, or being a skill-based character, going off into exemplar. We're starting at ECL 14, and most obscure rules will be fine, so long as they aren't on the WotC Theoretical Optimisation board! One thing I was definitely thinking of taking was the SS flying creature template - it will be essential.

Thoughts?

If your already giving up magic items and whatnot why not take the Forsaker PrC from Masters of the Wild? 3.0 yes, but seems to be right up your alley

monotone
2007-04-15, 01:58 PM
If it is a planescape game and you are immune to magic, how do you plan on using portals?

Kel_Arath
2007-04-15, 03:18 PM
a monk... a vow of poverty monk
mmmm.....

ZekeArgo
2007-04-15, 03:46 PM
a monk... a vow of poverty monk
mmmm.....

If by "mmmm" you mean "ewww" then sure. Nevermind that he's already given up magic items and whatnot, now your going to give him crappy BaB and non-synergistic abilities?

Kel_Arath
2007-04-15, 04:20 PM
If by "mmmm" you mean "ewww" then sure. Nevermind that he's already given up magic items and whatnot, now your going to give him crappy BaB and non-synergistic abilities?
how is AC through the roof and his punches being better bad?

ZekeArgo
2007-04-15, 04:23 PM
how is AC through the roof and his punches being better bad?

Um, through the roof? He'll get at most +8 or +10 or so, and yeah halfway decent attacks, but unfortunatly the two "main" bonuses of being a monk, being flurry of blows and high movement speed, are mutually exclusive abilities since you need a full-round action to flurry!

Better to go with something involving barbarian, or even rogue even

Edit: Upon thought, a rogue ooze would definatly be interesting. A lot of sneaking, infiltration, and assassination possibilities with having such a morphic form.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-04-16, 07:21 AM
If it is a planescape game and you are immune to magic, how do you plan on using portals?

The wizard archivist crafts alchemical bombs to break through planes physically.

I considered Forsaker, but most of its abilities rely on a constant stream of magic items to eat. Also non-magic monk = lose, because of all the Su abilities.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 07:28 AM
Babarbian (ooze angry at world! ooze SPLASH!) oe rogue. Rogue certainly being the more interesting.