PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What are some ways to maximize the use of a very high strength score?

DurionArcanis
2015-04-17, 10:45 AM
For a game I'm playing I'm going to have a really massive strength score (and good scores in everything but Con, because undead) so I was wondering how I could really use this massive strength score. I'm looking at quite possibly starting the game with a 29 strength at level 5 (gestalt).

Race wise I'm a Vampire Shalarin, which means scores of +10 str, +8 dex, +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha. Classes I'm taking thus far are
Track A: Paladin of Tyrannny 5 (with Underdark Knight ACF)
Track B: Moonwarded Ranger2/Swordsage2

I have one class level left to spend, and feat wise I'm looking at taking Serenity so far as a definite. I've considered filling that last level with Fighter so I can get a bonus combat feat, or a psionic class to gain Speed of Thought when I have a spare feat. Other ideas for what to actually advance into past level 5 would be helpful as well.

Primary focus right now is maximizing what I can get from Strength though, all other information provided for context or in case someone has an idea that synergizes well with said info. I have not assigned my point buy for stats yet either, but I have 34pt point buy allotment. Left this open for now for flexibility, once I am decided on the last class level and where my feats will be going I'm going to be assigning those.

I guess Paladin of Tyranny is probably the important piece here, that was the predominant suggestion and the route I decided to go with on this. The Ranger/Swordsage stuff are in there for Wis to AC stuff. The idea I guess right now is an unarmored/lightly armored beast of a dark Knight/Paladin type of character.

Also, the DM houseruled that the Shalarin gets a 20ft base land speed, so increasing that would be handy (hence the Underdark Knight ACF). Reasoning is that Shalarin doesn't have a land speed due to being aquatic, but it has feet. After being turned it can walk on land (doesn't need to breathe underwater anymore), it's just not used to it.

Karl Aegis
2015-04-17, 11:20 AM
As it stands, you only use strength for melee attacks. You don't need to jump, climb or swim, and you can just gaseous form under doors. You need ways to add strength to more things. Maximizing one thing that is only useful for one thing isn't very smart.

DurionArcanis
2015-04-17, 11:48 AM
As it stands, you only use strength for melee attacks. You don't need to jump, climb or swim, and you can just gaseous form under doors. You need ways to add strength to more things. Maximizing one thing that is only useful for one thing isn't very smart.

Umm, that's what I asked for. It's already high, how can I use it though? Hell, it's starting as 18 if I don't put any points into it, and I intend to put points into it.

Zaq
2015-04-17, 11:53 AM
According to the always-awesome X Stat to Y Bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus&highlight=stat+to+bonus) thread, there isn't a whole lot you can apply Strength to that it isn't applied to already. WotC consistently acted as though they thought that Strength was the "best" or "most powerful" stat (Exhibit A: half-orcs), so they were pretty skittish about letting you apply it to anything other than melee attacks and a couple skills.

ShurikVch
2015-04-17, 12:18 PM
High Str may be good for Intimidation:
1) Intimidation through Strength variant rule from Masters of The Wild
2) Fearsome Gaze ACF (Barbarian 7, Dr#349)
3) Dread Tyranny feat (RoD)

Alternately, build an Exemplar, and diplomancy everybody around via your awesome Climbing/Jumping/Swimming

Finally, try to get Large+ size somehow, and make a Hulking Hurler

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-17, 01:08 PM
Grappling
Tripping
Bull Rushing
Disarming

Flickerdart
2015-04-17, 01:21 PM
Might Makes Right gets you more followers from Leadership, and a vampire can often use more lackeys.

Carrying capacity is a frequently forgotten gem - a lot of things like extraordinary flying only work while you're not carrying a medium or heavy load, and if you ever want to give a friend and his equipment a lift, you're going to be weighted down a lot. Things like dimension slide also let you take a medium load with you, and for you that's a lot.

DurionArcanis
2015-04-17, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll keep them in mind for the future at least... Something came up and I had to drop from the game sadly...