PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven games [D&D - all]

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-17, 12:52 PM
Absolutely no idea if this is the right place to be posting this, but here goes - Of all the books for all the editions of D&D, has anyone ever come across a Dwarven game? Like, I don't know, Giant Chess or something? I mean, there's been mention of Dragonchess, Three Dragon Ante, etc, but has anyone seen any WOTC examples of Dwarven games?

Maglubiyet
2015-04-17, 12:59 PM
They seem more prone to drinking games than intellectual pastimes. Races of Stone might be a place to look, but I can't think of anything like in there off the top of my head.

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-17, 01:01 PM
They seem more prone to drinking games than intellectual pastimes. Races of Stone might be a place to look, but I can't think of anything like in there off the top of my head.

RoS was my first port of call, but I couldn't find anything close to it in there, unfortunately. I agree on the drinking games, though - Gods bless the Arms and Equipment guide for rules on getting drunk, there's usually a minimum of one drinking contest per campaign with my players. Usually confined to the game. Not always.

Cicciograna
2015-04-17, 01:17 PM
Absolutely no idea if this is the right place to be posting this, but here goes - Of all the books for all the editions of D&D, has anyone ever come across a Dwarven game? Like, I don't know, Giant Chess or something? I mean, there's been mention of Dragonchess, Three Dragon Ante, etc, but has anyone seen any WOTC examples of Dwarven games?

Why, of course, there's good ol' Smite Tha Tree (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0962.html)!

And you're lucky: one kind forumer already wrote da rulez (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18125908&postcount=310)!

VoxRationis
2015-04-17, 01:35 PM
I wrote some rules for a dwarven chess-like game once. It was intentionally slower-paced than chess, with large sections of the board occupied by stone which had to be tunneled through, and only a single choke point between the two sides at the beginning.

Actually, for that same setting, I reasoned that dwarves, rather than fighting with axe and pick, should really be into the whole phalanx thing. In a tunnel, there's no way to flank a phalanx (its biggest disadvantage being its vulnerable flanks), ranged weapons fire is limited, and one's ability to deploy troops in anything but column formation is going to be highly restricted—but the shoving-match fights of phalanx warfare allow even those well in the rear of a column to contribute! The dwarves would probably pick shorter spears than say, the Macedonians, because of cramped quarters, but otherwise the phalanx is perfect for them. But that's a bit of a tangent

The Evil DM
2015-04-17, 01:40 PM
In my campaign trolls are mindless masses of ravenous flesh that can regenerate indefinitely, but if you keep a body part in vinegar the effect is reduced and a troll part can be effectively preserved. They have no individual mind and I have modeled them like a demonic starfish - with limbs and claws such that if any part is removed it will grow a whole new troll. They are very fiendish, violent and dangerous.

Dwarves - and a few other races for that matter - play a game which is much like free form soccer with a live troll head that they store in vinegar between games.

Eventually while kicking the troll around it regenerates a body and is very very angry. The goal is to score points at the opposing teams goal with extra points awarded for being the team that gets the head back into the jar.

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-17, 01:56 PM
I wrote some rules for a dwarven chess-like game once. It was intentionally slower-paced than chess, with large sections of the board occupied by stone which had to be tunneled through, and only a single choke point between the two sides at the beginning.

Actually, for that same setting, I reasoned that dwarves, rather than fighting with axe and pick, should really be into the whole phalanx thing. In a tunnel, there's no way to flank a phalanx (its biggest disadvantage being its vulnerable flanks), ranged weapons fire is limited, and one's ability to deploy troops in anything but column formation is going to be highly restricted—but the shoving-match fights of phalanx warfare allow even those well in the rear of a column to contribute! The dwarves would probably pick shorter spears than say, the Macedonians, because of cramped quarters, but otherwise the phalanx is perfect for them. But that's a bit of a tangent

To briefly continue your tangent, I've always loved the Dwarven Defender setup - Sure, the PrC sucks, but phalanxes of Dwarves in full plate with tower shields and Dwarven Urgroshes just warms my heart. If you have those rules floating around somewhere, I'd love to give them a read.

In my campaign trolls are mindless masses of ravenous flesh that can regenerate indefinitely, but if you keep a body part in vinegar the effect is reduced and a troll part can be effectively preserved. They have no individual mind and I have modeled them like a demonic starfish - with limbs and claws such that if any part is removed it will grow a whole new troll. They are very fiendish, violent and dangerous.

Dwarves - and a few other races for that matter - play a game which is much like free form soccer with a live troll head that they store in vinegar between games.

Eventually while kicking the troll around it regenerates a body and is very very angry. The goal is to score points at the opposing teams goal with extra points awarded for being the team that gets the head back into the jar.

Not exactly the kind of game I had in mind, but I love the imagery - my players just slew a troll (one of them needing to be Raised in the process), and I'm sure they'd be infuriated seeing people kick around the head of a creature that killed (sort of) one of their friends.

VoxRationis
2015-04-17, 01:58 PM
Why again is Dwarven Defender considered to suck? Because of the lack of mobility? Gee, I wonder what kind of terrain that favors?

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-17, 02:00 PM
Why again is Dwarven Defender considered to suck? Because of the lack of mobility? Gee, I wonder what kind of terrain that favors?

Precisely - it only sucks because it's niche. In the classic dungeon set up with narrow corridors, it's actually really good - I'd love to play a Dwarven Defender in a party with a friend playing a similarly kitted character, holding off enemies in 10ft corridors. However, if I'm taking levels in a class, I want it to be applicable all the time.

The Evil DM
2015-04-17, 02:02 PM
Not exactly the kind of game I had in mind, but I love the imagery - my players just slew a troll (one of them needing to be Raised in the process), and I'm sure they'd be infuriated seeing people kick around the head of a creature that killed (sort of) one of their friends.

But if you think about dwarves in particular, do you envision an intellectual sitting around playing chess or a hard drinking football fan waiting to get rowdy at a game of GW Bloodbowl.

I think the latter myself.

blacklight101
2015-04-17, 02:55 PM
Can't forget the near culturally universal tests of skill with weapons. Axe and hammer throwing among others. Playing 'handles' can be some good times, just a pain to replace that many handles by the end of the day.

VoxRationis
2015-04-17, 03:11 PM
Depends on your dwarves. Your nigh-parodical Warhammer dwarves or your utterly-parodical Discworld dwarves? Probably the hooliganish sport. But your kingly, dignified masters of crafts-type dwarves? I could see them playing chess.

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-17, 03:24 PM
Depends on your dwarves. Your nigh-parodical Warhammer dwarves or your utterly-parodical Discworld dwarves? Probably the hooliganish sport. But your kingly, dignified masters of crafts-type dwarves? I could see them playing chess.

I'm very much going for Tolkien/Paolini (particularly Paolini) Dwarves, so the latter in your case is definitely my vision for them.

Maglubiyet
2015-04-17, 03:45 PM
I'm very much going for Tolkien/Paolini (particularly Paolini) Dwarves, so the latter in your case is definitely my vision for them.

"Dour", "sullen", and "industrious" don't seem to describe a people prone to playing many idle games, particularly when there are weapons and jewelry to craft. That metal isn't going to smelt itself!

Arbane
2015-04-17, 05:49 PM
There's always Terry Pratchett's (RIP) dwarf/troll game, Thud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Games_of_the_Discworld#Thud).

Or its real-world inspiration, Hnefatafl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games). If the vikings can enjoy a nice boardgame between raids, I think dwarfs can, too.

goto124
2015-04-18, 09:31 AM
I'm sure they'd be infuriated seeing people kick around the head of a creature that killed (sort of) one of their friends.

Why? Wouldn't they be pleased?

'Hey guys, its that monster that killed me! Now it's my turn to kick its head about!'

Beleriphon
2015-04-18, 02:31 PM
I'm personally throwing down for some varient of table games like backgammon. Why? Because you can gamble on the outcome, that's why. Besides, wouldn't a backgammon board look awfully nice all done up with runes and instead of points there's symbols of Moradin or some such. Call it Moradin's Hammer and you're golden.

Milodiah
2015-04-18, 04:36 PM
Go for full Discworld!

B'tduz - A game in which two dwarfs stand a few feet apart and throw rocks at each other's heads.

You can also always use Thud, so long as you refer to it by its proper name, Hnaflbaflwhiflsnifltafl.

Jay R
2015-04-19, 10:43 AM
Elf-tossing and human-tipping, anyone?

Scarey Nerd
2015-04-21, 08:29 AM
I'm personally throwing down for some varient of table games like backgammon. Why? Because you can gamble on the outcome, that's why. Besides, wouldn't a backgammon board look awfully nice all done up with runes and instead of points there's symbols of Moradin or some such. Call it Moradin's Hammer and you're golden.

That's definitely the sort of thing I'm going for. And now I want to refit a backgammon board like that for personal use.

Cikomyr
2015-04-29, 06:53 AM
Another kind of Dwarves you could try to look at and find an interesting cultural trait is the Dragon Age dwarves.

Hell. I could see THEM creating Chess in that universe...

Funnily enough, i am wondering if Chinese Checkers would be a good fit for the Dwarves. A game about a cluttered board, where you have to carefully plan your positions?

GungHo
2015-04-29, 09:02 AM
Kobold Tossing

goto124
2015-04-29, 10:08 AM
Kobold Kender Tossing

blacklight101
2015-04-29, 10:17 AM
Kobold Kender Tossing

For some reason, this made me think of some redneck dwarves doing something along the lines of "kender giggin'"

The only use for kender as far as im concerned. That or firewood.

Kami2awa
2015-04-29, 10:47 AM
The Vikings were really, really into board games, such as the various Tafl games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

I like that it's been speculated that tafl used dice in the game mechanics, as this would make it probably the first ever tabletop wargame. They also played chess, and you can't tell me these don't look like something made in Erebor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_chessmen

The "rooks" in that chess set are carved to look like berserkers. Very dwarven.

Come to that, wouldn't dwarven games have very complex rules, incredibly finely crafted and detailed pieces, and be very warlike? Do dwarves play Warhammer? :D Even the name is pretty dwarvish.

I can't see the dwarves using "chess clocks" to limit the time spent per move. Dwarven gamemasters (hah) might spend days considering a move. Perhaps that's part of the game - having the patience and stamina to wait out your opponent.

Then, of course, there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Drinker-Shot-Chess-Set/dp/B009QW9UL8

If you can't outthink your opponent, you can at least outdrink him. Or maybe this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

BayardSPSR
2015-05-04, 06:28 AM
"Dour", "sullen", and "industrious" don't seem to describe a people prone to playing many idle games, particularly when there are weapons and jewelry to craft. That metal isn't going to smelt itself!

... Actually, I think that's it: any game that requires different pieces - the more the better, to better show off the skill of the craftsdwarf and the wealth of the owner with more-intricate pieces of more-valuable materials. Actually playing the game/s might even be secondary to the prestige of owning a well-made set. There might even be an emphasis on collection.

Now what kind of game does that sound like...?

EDIT: And somehow the only post I didn't see was Kami2awa's, which has the same conclusion in more detail. :smallsigh:

Kalmageddon
2015-05-04, 08:55 AM
... Actually, I think that's it: any game that requires different pieces - the more the better, to better show off the skill of the craftsdwarf and the wealth of the owner with more-intricate pieces of more-valuable materials. Actually playing the game/s might even be secondary to the prestige of owning a well-made set. There might even be an emphasis on collection.

Now what kind of game does that sound like...?

EDIT: And somehow the only post I didn't see was Kami2awa's, which has the same conclusion in more detail. :smallsigh:

...Dwarves are into CCG? :smallconfused:

BayardSPSR
2015-05-04, 01:15 PM
...Dwarves are into CCG? :smallconfused:

If the cards weren't made of paper? Sure. I was alluding to miniature wargaming in particular, though, which has a particularly heavy "look at how pretty everything I have is":gameplay ratio (as games go).

Spore
2015-05-04, 01:52 PM
If the cards weren't made of paper? Sure. I was alluding to miniature wargaming in particular, though, which has a particularly heavy "look at how pretty everything I have is":gameplay ratio (as games go).

So standard cards are made from thin iron plates while "foil" cards are made from mithril?

BayardSPSR
2015-05-04, 02:25 PM
So standard cards are made from thin iron plates while "foil" cards are made from mithril?

That seems appropriate. How would they do the whole "packaged randomly, hope you get lucky" thing? Especially since any sufficiently talented smith could forge cards to order.

Spore
2015-05-04, 02:59 PM
That seems appropriate. How would they do the whole "packaged randomly, hope you get lucky" thing? Especially since any sufficiently talented smith could forge cards to order.

I don't think Dwarven society would love a random approach such as booster packs. I think they'd have licensed "cardsmiths" who are bound to a price catalogue.

BayardSPSR
2015-05-04, 03:15 PM
bound to a price catalogue.

Which is entirely consistent with the [D&D - all] approach to communism set prices for items...