PDA

View Full Version : LA, ECL, and level requirements

Yogibear41
2015-04-17, 04:08 PM
If a certain feat says it requires a character level of X. Does that mean actual level or the characters ECL? For example if a feat requires character level 3rd, and I have a single class level with a level adjustment of +2, I am considered an ECL 3 character, could I take that feat as one of my level 1 feats?

Jeraa
2015-04-17, 04:21 PM
To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.

Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.

It doesn't say to use ECL for things like feats. You only use your actual character level (class levels + racial hit dice).

Feat Acquisition and Ability Score Increases
A monster’s total Hit Dice, not its ECL, govern its acquisition of feats and ability score increases.

Douglas
2015-04-17, 04:25 PM
Character level does not include level adjustment. You would need 2 more actual levels before you could take the feat.

ECL is used for the following things:
a) XP required to level up
b) XP gained from encounters
c) expected amount of equipment
d) what level party you are expected to be in

Anything and everything else ignores it unless explicitly specified otherwise.

Necroticplague
2015-04-17, 04:25 PM
If a certain feat says it requires a character level of X. Does that mean actual level or the characters ECL? For example if a feat requires character level 3rd, and I have a single class level with a level adjustment of +2, I am considered an ECL 3 character, could I take that feat as one of my level 1 feats?

Nope. Your ECL is purely for determining how much XP you get from things. You're still a level 1 character, you're just considered to be level 3 for purposes of how much XP you get after an encounter.

In summary: if it says level, it means level, not effective level.