PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Monastic Tradition: Way of Veiled Senses

fattybear
2015-04-17, 06:28 PM
Looking for feedback on the new monastic tradition. Thanks!

Way of Veiled Senses

Description
Monks of the Way of Veiled Senses follow a tradition that sharpens the senses while dulling others. Disciples train to fight using all their senses, allowing them to adapt to the ever changing conditions of battle. Monks who follow this path also train how to block the senses of their opponents and take advantage of their damaged condition.

Sensory Arts
Starting at 3rd level, you have learned to use your ki to block others' senses and also enhance your own. As an action, you can spend 2 ki to cast darkness, blindness/deafness, or silence. You can spend 1 ki to cast detect magic. All spells can be cast without their material components.

Blind Fighting
Beginning at 6th level, you have trained to fight without sight and have honed all your senses beyond those of most normal humanoids. You now have blindsight up to 15 feet. At level 17, this increases to 30 feet. You also gain proficiency in the perception skill if you do not have proficiency yet.

Disabling Strike
At 11th level, when you successfully hit a target with flurry of blows, you can attempt to blind or deafen (your choice) one target during your turn. If the creature fails a Constitution saving throw against your ki save DC, the creature is blinded or deafened until the end of their next turn.

Sensory Exploit
At 17th level, you have gained mastery over using your enemy's damaged senses and mobility to your advantage during combat. On your turn, you may spend 2 ki to focus on your enemy's weakness. You may add your wisdom modifier to your attack and damage rolls until the end of your turn. This may only be used against enemies affected by a condition (blind, deaf, stunned, prone, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, frightened, charmed, poisoned).

Wartex1
2015-04-17, 06:46 PM
Looks nice, but since Flurry of Blows can be used on two separate creatures, maybe you should limit Disabling Strike to 1 creature per round.

fattybear
2015-04-17, 06:59 PM
Not a bad idea, I didn't think about that. Thanks.

eleazzaar
2015-04-17, 07:39 PM
You can cast darkness, blindness/deafness, and silence for 2 ki.
This sounds like you can cast all of them at once for 2 ki. Is that what you mean?

fattybear
2015-04-17, 07:49 PM
This sounds like you can cast all of them at once for 2 ki. Is that what you mean?

Sorry, that is just sloppy language. It is meant to be similar to the shadow arts feature, so 2 ki to cast one of those spells.

Samhaim
2015-04-18, 02:38 AM
Very nice! I like both the idea and the style. The only thing I would change is the order of the abilities. I would put first disabling strike, then sensory arts, then blind fighting.