PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gestalt Ultimate Magus Gish

2015-04-17, 07:01 PM
Hello all! I'm putting together a build plan for a high-powered gestalt 3.P game that's expected to go epic. I have basically dedicated one side completely to advancing magic, and the other side to picking up combat abilities and feats; the character's focus is on gishing via hurled harrow cards, ala Gambit.

Race: Human

Side A
Level
Side B
Level

PF Paladin (Paladin of Freedom/Spell-less Paladin/Chosen One)
Magus (Card Caster/Kensai)

PF Ranger (Spell-less Ranger/3.5 Urban Ranger)

PF Ranger (Spell-less Ranger/3.5 Urban Ranger)

PF Fighter (Lore Warden)

Master Thrower
Sorcerer (Wildblooded: Sage)

PF Fighter (Lore Warden)
Ultimate Magus

PF Fighter (Lore Warden)
Ultimate Magus

PF Fighter (Lore Warden)
Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

3.5 Swashbuckler
Ultimate Magus

3.5 Swashbuckler
Ultimate Magus

3.5 Swashbuckler
Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Student of War
Fatespinner

Student of War
Fatespinner

Master Thrower
Fatespinner

Master Thrower
Fatespinner

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Ultimate Magus

Master Thrower
Harrower

Master Thrower
Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Harrower

Exalted Arcanist

Student of War
Exalted Arcanist

Student of War
Exalted Arcanist

Student of War
Exalted Arcanist

Student of War
Exalted Arcanist

Anyway, due to some houserules, those martial classes are providing lots of bonus feats, and I'm getting 46 feats to assign throughout my career (with about a quarter of them in the first five levels due to flaws, front-loaded classes, and race). Since I can pick feat from 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder (with homebrew and Dragon Mag stuff available if the DM approves), I was a bit unsure of what all to get. Any suggestions beyond what I'm already looking at would be very helpful. Thanks!

Deadly Aim
Rapid Shot
3.5 Far Shot
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Improved Precise Shot
Quick Draw
Deadly Dealer
Weapon Focus
Knowledge Devotion
Improved Critical
Intensified Spell
Battledance (need DM's permission)
Craft Wondrous Item

Can't remember the feat's name, but there's a feat in the back of some 3.5 book that lets you attempt to use Diplomacy to convince an enemy to stop being violent and to have us settle our differences with a card game. I NEED THIS FEAT...if only I could remember the name...

So yeah...I need more feats. More metamagic would be good, better card-throwing would be nice, some fate manipulation type stuff would be fantastic. Any suggestions, everyone?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-17, 07:26 PM
"A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class." Your Student of War//Fatespinner and Master Thrower//Fatespinner levels make this an invalid build according to the rules, unless your group has a house rule in place.

The character would be significantly improved by including Bloodstorm Blade IMO. Furthermore, I don't see Persistent Spell or ways to add it to your spells without the level increase, other than via Ultimate Magus and its terrible spell level limit.

2015-04-17, 07:53 PM
"A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class." Your Student of War//Fatespinner and Master Thrower//Fatespinner levels make this an invalid build according to the rules, unless your group has a house rule in place.

The character would be significantly improved by including Bloodstorm Blade IMO. Furthermore, I don't see Persistent Spell or ways to add it to your spells without the level increase, other than via Ultimate Magus and its terrible spell level limit.

Double prestige is allowed, except if one is a dual-progression class. I'm not gonna waste 7 class levels on Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade levels when a Blinkback Belt accomplishes everything I want Bloodstorm Blade for. I'm in a party of four other casters who use the same character creation rules as me, including a dual-cursed oracle; I'm gonna be capable of buffing myself, but I shouldn't need to bust out tons of Persistent Spells every day.

Chronos
2015-04-18, 08:41 AM
OK, then you've still got the problem that you've got a double-progression PrC in there.

Nessa Ellenesse
2015-04-18, 09:10 AM
As a DM I would dissallow any prestige class in a gestalt campaign especally classes like Ultimate Magus and Mystic Thurge

2015-04-18, 10:04 AM
Dual-progression is allowed, but I can't have another PrC on the other side at the same time, otherwise Master Thrower and Student of War would've been completed much earlier. The level build is completely legal by the rules the DM has set down for their game. Does anyone have advice along the lines of the question I was actually asking?

Chronos
2015-04-18, 10:22 AM
That depends. Are there any other relevant houserules we should know about? Until you tell us what those houserules are, all we can assume is the standard rules, and under those rules, the answer was "nothing can help because that character is illegal".

2015-04-18, 02:25 PM
I asked for feat suggestions, because that's what i need. Do you have any feat suggestions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-18, 02:39 PM
Dual-progression is allowed, but I can't have another PrC on the other side at the same time, otherwise Master Thrower and Student of War would've been completed much earlier. The level build is completely legal by the rules the DM has set down for their game. Does anyone have advice along the lines of the question I was actually asking?

I don't see any Abjurant Champion, do you not plan on using Greater Luminous Armor + Shield to buff your AC? A level of Paragnostic Apostle for Mind Over Matter would also be superb for this. Just get a Rod of Bodily Restoration in MIC to fix the Str damage that occurs when that ends. This has the added benefit of fixing your caster levels to equal your BAB (which would be your character level with Persistent Divine Power) in the epic levels, and you can apply the UM arcane spell power bonus after Abjurant Champion's effect.

If you plan to use ability score buffs, such as Bite of the Werecreature or whatever PF has to offer, consider Spell Focus: Transmutation (prerequisite) and Ability Enhancer from Dragon Compendium. That makes it so any transmutation you cast that enhances an ability score has its bonus increased by two points.

You have Sorcerer in there, so of course I'll recommend the Ancestral Relic Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4) trick. Make it an Elvencraft Composite Longbow in Races of the Wild, so it counts as both a quarterstaff and a longbow. Put three wand chambers from Dungeonscape in it, and use wands like Wings of Cover and Nerveskitter, since the Rules Compendium clarified that wands take the same action to activate as the spell's casting time. You can put charges of spells on the staff portion in addition to making it a runestaff, in which case Eilservs School from Drow of the Underdark could be a superb choice. If you want shenanigans, apply Unguent of Timelessness to it before it becomes magical, it will never wear off and spells you cast on it (or hire NPC spellcasters to cast on it) will last 365 times longer.