PDA

View Full Version : Warlock + Quicken SLA

WeaselGuy
2015-04-18, 06:36 AM
So, maybe I'm missing something here, but correct me if I'm wrong. Many of the Warlock Guides that I've looked over have mentioned that Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) is an amazing feat to take, because it allows you to basically fire off 2 Invocations in one round (notably, Eldritch Blast). Seems amazing, sure, but this is where it seems to fall apart for me.

Quicken SLA's caster level requirement scales with the level of the SLA that you want to quicken. So, a 0th level SLA requires CL 8. 1st level SLA requires CL 10, 2nd level SLA requires CL 12, and et cetera, et cetera.

So, lets say you're Warlock is level 12. He can use Quicken SLA 3 times per day to throw out a 6d6 Eldritch Blast as a Free action, right? But what about that line in the Complete Arcane that says something to the effect of "the spell level of your Eldritch Blast is equal to" some formula that I actually can't remember, because I'm at work and AFB. I know, shoddy planning on my behalf, but I wanna say it's like half your actual CL, so a level 12 Warlock is technically chucking out a 6th level SLA, thus requiring, as per the Quicken Spell-Like Ability chart, a CL of 20.

Is this right? Or am I completely overthinking it?

chaos_redefined
2015-04-18, 06:40 AM
Looking at it, it says that it is a first level spell. So, as of level 10, you can quicken it.

Marlowe
2015-04-18, 06:45 AM
The business about EB having a spell level that scales with your level in some bizarre and pointless way later got errated out, presumably because otherwise the Quicken/Maximise/Empower SLA feats would never actually work. Now Eldritch Blast is always considered a 1st level SLA unless you deliberately increase its level using essences.

nedz
2015-04-18, 06:46 AM
You need to read the Errata since that changed the spell level of your blasts to be that quoted in the Essence or Shape used - or 1 by default.

You are right about the level limit though - and this does limit QSLAs use.

The cheesy way to use this is to apply this to EB and then use Eld Glaive for another full round of attacks.

Ed: partial swordsage

WeaselGuy
2015-04-18, 06:49 AM
Well hot damn. Also, and I acknowledge that this is rather lazy of me, but where can I find aforementioned errata?

Also, thank you guys so much for the quick response, this helps me out a lot.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-18, 06:55 AM
You can find the 3.5/3e Official D&D Errata page here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20060531a).

StreamOfTheSky
2015-04-18, 10:13 AM
It's a double-edged sword, the errata. It means w/o sufficiently high spell level essences (I think blast shapes also modify the spell level?), warlock can be pitifully shut down by things like globe of invulnerability. Aside from being shut down from Friendly Fire (which everyone should ban) and Ray Deflection (which might be ok if nerfed out of auto-negation) spells, too. But yeah, it does mean you can Quicken it later on.