PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dual wielding, but not really

Airon
2015-04-18, 06:45 AM
Hello all.

So let's say you have a PC named Jack with the Extra Attack class feature.
Jack holds in one hand a longsword and in the other one a warhammer. He does NOT have the Dual Wielder feat.

He uses his Action to attack twice: one with the longsword, one with the warhammer. He makes no additional attack with his bonus action, since he can't dual wield non-light weapons.
Is this allowed?

What if Jack did it with two light weapons (say a club and a dagger)? Just his two attacks from his action, no bonus action attack (maybe he has other stuff to do with that, such as Cunning Action).

If this is allowed, does he still need the two weapon fighting style to add his Str modifier to one of the two rolls?

Even if it is not strictly allowed RAW, do you think it would be ok to allow such a thing?
The biggest advantage is that you can switch damage types easily (from bludgeoning to slashing, etc...), but you also miss out, since you are using a 1-handed weapon with each attack while foregoing the defense provided by a shield, and possible fighting styles perks.

Additional question: let's say Jack also has Tavern Brawler feat. He attacks once with his one-handed longsword, then once with his unarmed attack, then uses his bonus action to grapple his opponent. Allowed?

thank you for your attention

Kryx
2015-04-18, 06:54 AM
You can make each attack with a separate hand, yes. There is no penalty unless you use the twf rules (bonus action).

coredump
2015-04-18, 10:11 AM
There is no rule expliciity requiring you to use the same weapon for each attack
There is no rule explicitly permitting you to use a different weapon for each attack.

Rule from that as you will.....

Inevitability
2015-04-19, 04:10 AM
I'd say you can do it. Almost all characters would lose more than they gained, anyway.

Slipperychicken
2015-04-20, 11:24 AM
I'd let jack get his stats to damage for each of those as long as he's not trying to get a bonus attack or other twf benefits out of it.

Also, remember that jack can make unarmed attacks even with both hands occupied (I don't know, stomp the target's shins or something), although he can't grapple like that. He could also use an improvised weapon to attack, then drop it for the grapple attempt.