PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Multi class Shenanigans?

Pyon
2015-04-18, 08:38 AM
So I was looking at the Sorcerer and fell in love with the wild magic mechanics. They sound so silly, so random, so.... Me. So my next character shall be a Sorcerer. Are there any fun multiclass options? Or should I just focus on 110% randomness Sorcerer?

Chronos
2015-04-18, 08:44 AM
If you multiclass with any other caster class, you can use your metamagic on all of your spells. Warlock 2 is a popular choice, for Eldritch Blast and the invocations that go with it.

Madfellow
2015-04-18, 08:55 AM
Any Charisma-based spellcaster can do well with a sorcerer. Bard, paladin, and warlock are all good options. Single-class sorcerer works fine as well.

Giant2005
2015-04-18, 09:01 AM
Only Sorcerer spells trigger Wild Surges, so if they bring you joy, don't dilute that joy by mixing in crap that isn't going to trigger them.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-18, 06:39 PM
There's some powerful SorcLock builds out there, search for them.

However, there's much to be said for Sorcerer 20, or at least Sorcerer 17. To be specific, Wish.

Paeleus
2015-04-18, 10:47 PM
You can always gish it up and go fighter/sorcerer. Take fighter to lvl 11 to get that tasty 2 extra attacks, take great weapon fighting, pick up battle master, and get the great weapon master feat at some point. As you're getting your sorceror to level 9, you'll have access to shield pretty early, 2nd level slots (including hold person, which is handy), super flexible sorcerer points and eventually a 5th level spell slot. War caster is something you want to consider picking up. Depending on how you play her, you'll be useful in and out of combat.

She's a bit mad, but with a tad bit of min/maxing and role playing, anything is possible.

TheOOB
2015-04-18, 10:56 PM
Sorcerer doesn't always play the best with other classes, especially spellcasters. Losing access to your higher level spells, sorcerery points,and increased metamagic usually isn't worth whatever low level abilities another class has. The Warlock popular multiclass is virtually never worth it. Yes a warlock 2 EB is better than most sorcerer cantrips, but sorc cantrips still work fine and sorcerers do tons of damage as is. Putting off your best damage spells so you have a moderately better auto attack when your out of spells(which you'll have less of) isn't a great choice for most characters.

Dralnu
2015-04-18, 11:07 PM
Playing a sorcerer from 2 to currently 7. If I was still wild magic I'd probably consider Warlock 2, because by taking Agonizing Blast you've got solid at-will damage and that definitely helps especially at lower levels. But it's also hard to beat straight sorcerer. Sorcery points and best spell progression is amazing.

EDIT:

Yes a warlock 2 EB is better than most sorcerer cantrips, but sorc cantrips still work fine and sorcerers do tons of damage as is.

It's a pretty significant boost vs. a wild magic sorcerer I'd say. Assuming a +4 CHA bonus, at level 5 you're doing an average of 19 damage agonizing eldritch blast vs. 11 firebolt. So it's definitely a trade off, sweet at-will damage vs. more sorcery points, more spells, and better spells. A dragon (fire) sorcerer should definitely stick with straight sorcerer though.

oxybe
2015-04-18, 11:21 PM
Can't you trade those Warlock spell slots for sorcery points though? a Sorc 17/War 3 has access to a pool of 4 sorcery points by dumping his 2 level 2 Warlock slots every short rest and can still cast his high level sorceror spells.

coredump
2015-04-19, 12:16 AM
Playing a sorcerer from 2 to currently 7. If I was still wild magic I'd probably consider Warlock 2, because by taking Agonizing Blast you've got solid at-will damage and that definitely helps especially at lower levels. But it's also hard to beat straight sorcerer. Sorcery points and best spell progression is amazing.

EDIT:

It's a pretty significant boost vs. a wild magic sorcerer I'd say. Assuming a +4 CHA bonus, at level 5 you're doing an average of 19 damage agonizing eldritch blast vs. 11 firebolt. So it's definitely a trade off, sweet at-will damage vs. more sorcery points, more spells, and better spells. A dragon (fire) sorcerer should definitely stick with straight sorcerer though.

You could also pick up Hex and be doing 26 damage.

Rhaegar14
2015-04-19, 01:58 AM
I love how people on the forums always tout Hex as though it's so central to the Warlock at all levels that it isn't so much a spell as an assumed-always-active class feature, as though a dedicated spellcaster never has anything better to do with their Concentration (or their bonus action) than +1d6 damage on their attacks. To be sure, any Warlock investing heavily in Eldritch Blast should have it, but it's silly to assume that it's always up.

Giant2005
2015-04-19, 02:34 AM
I love how people on the forums always tout Hex as though it's so central to the Warlock at all levels that it isn't so much a spell as an assumed-always-active class feature, as though a dedicated spellcaster never has anything better to do with their Concentration (or their bonus action) than +1d6 damage on their attacks. To be sure, any Warlock investing heavily in Eldritch Blast should have it, but it's silly to assume that it's always up.

I agree with this.
I have played two different Warlocks in two different games, both of which had Hex and expected to make prolific use of it. However neither Warlock ever actually used the spell.
It basically came down to the fact that weak monsters were too weak to justify wasting a spell slot on and strong monsters were strong enough that I wanted to use my concentration on a more powerful spell than Hex. Hex might thrive in some kind of middle ground between the two but in my experience, the middle ground doesn't exist.

Rhaegar14
2015-04-19, 02:57 AM
It basically came down to the fact that weak monsters were too weak to justify wasting a spell slot on...

While I appreciate the support, in this specific case I think it's important to remember that, as long as you continue to concentrate on it, you can throw the Hex effect on to a new target as a bonus action at any point after the last target dies. This even includes after you've started a new encounter, so long as you're still concentrating and its duration hasn't expired. It's meant as a low-impact, long-term buff.

Giant2005
2015-04-19, 03:03 AM
While I appreciate the support, in this specific case I think it's important to remember that, as long as you continue to concentrate on it, you can throw the Hex effect on to a new target as a bonus action at any point after the last target dies. This even includes after you've started a new encounter, so long as you're still concentrating and its duration hasn't expired. It's meant as a low-impact, long-term buff.

Sure... But when do you cast it? You enter combat with a bunch of mooks and you quite rightfully decide that they aren't worth blowing resources on so you just EB them to death. The same applies to every combat until you decide that it is a challenge worth blowing resources on and then you cast a spell that has a lot more impact than Hex.

Sure I guess you could consider yourself just one spell slot down permanently and Hex the first mook you see and keep it active on every mook until you find something worthy of a bigger spell but that is not only pointless but wasteful. I'd much rather save that spell slot for something more threatening or some form of out of combat utility than blow it on something that is going to be dead rather easily whether I use it on them or not.

Chronos
2015-04-19, 07:35 AM
If your goal is to do at-will damage, then you drop it on the first enemy you encounter and keep it up for all of them. It really is the best option available for that. If your goal is something other than damage, then you probably don't even learn the spell at all. But then, if your goal is something other than damage, you're likely to do it better by taking another casting class instead of warlock to begin with.

coredump
2015-04-19, 07:37 AM

While that may be true.... no one in this thread made any such comment......

But yeah, Hex is a *really* good spell for a warlock.... its a really good spell for almost anyone. Its also why Hunter's Mark is so popular.

coredump
2015-04-19, 07:40 AM
If your goal is to do at-will damage, then you drop it on the first enemy you encounter and keep it up for all of them. It really is the best option available for that. If your goal is something other than damage, then you probably don't even learn the spell at all. But then, if your goal is something other than damage, you're likely to do it better by taking another casting class instead of warlock to begin with.

Its the same decision making process as casting any spell. If only a couple of mooks.... probably not. But since it lasts for an hour, you don't have to be too careful about it.
Heck, by 5th level, it is giving you and additional 2D6 damage each round, and lasts for *8 hours*. Why wouldn't you cast it in the morning?

Madfellow
2015-04-19, 07:45 AM
You can always gish it up and go fighter/sorcerer. Take fighter to lvl 11 to get that tasty 2 extra attacks, take great weapon fighting, pick up battle master, and get the great weapon master feat at some point. As you're getting your sorceror to level 9, you'll have access to shield pretty early, 2nd level slots (including hold person, which is handy), super flexible sorcerer points and eventually a 5th level spell slot. War caster is something you want to consider picking up. Depending on how you play her, you'll be useful in and out of combat.

She's a bit mad, but with a tad bit of min/maxing and role playing, anything is possible.

I'm thinking maybe paladin would be better in this case, since you can burn sorcerer spell slots for Divine Smite. Although the draconic bloodline would probably be better for a gish anyway (better AC and more hit points).

Pyon
2015-04-20, 08:32 AM
I'm thinking maybe paladin would be better in this case, since you can burn sorcerer spell slots for Divine Smite. Although the draconic bloodline would probably be better for a gish anyway (better AC and more hit points).

Yeah, the only reason I like Sorcerers in the first place is because of Wild Magic. Randomness plus being able to fluff it with relations to Fey just makes it for me. Over all Paladin might be cool I guess... I need to look more into Smite.

Paeleus
2015-04-20, 11:44 AM

I do like a paladin/sorc, but I still prefer a fighter/sorc. An extra attack, an action surge, manuevers, and more ability score improvements/feats is what fighter will give you. Though the paladin (vengeance is best) will have more spells sooner and be able to deal good damage over a longer period, I don't see it being quite as flexible as a fighter/sorc or as powerful on the top end of the build.

Kerleth
2015-04-20, 11:57 AM
I'm partial to Bard(college of valor)/Sorcerer myself. Using quicken spell to effectively twin vicious mockery OR vicious mockery and then charge up and stab them in the face is a nice trick. So is being able to cast something like a fireball and then follow it up with two attacks. But that is really more of a Bard gish build than a sorcerer build. If you're going for a straight blaster, I would actually consider going wizard(evoker) 2/3. It opens up some spell options for those situations when you don't want to blast, and shape spell is very nice for any dedicated blaster. I've seen lots of times where players have to ready actions, change tactics, cast less optimal spells, whereas the evoker can let the tank charge right in and throw a fireball on top of him.