PDA

View Full Version : New to 5th Magic Item help

Pandyman
2015-04-18, 11:31 AM
I'm new to 5th edition and I'm making an eladrin arcane trickster rogue. This will be my first official 5th edition game. My DM is allowing us to have one minor magic item and I was wondering if there are any in the current books that some of you might know about that would be a cool item for a Rogue.

Wartex1
2015-04-18, 11:32 AM
Here's a list of all magic items by rarity. The DMG has the statistics.

http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/

Giant2005
2015-04-18, 11:34 AM
A Cloak of Elvenkind would pretty much guarantee success at every stealth check you make.

Pandyman
2015-04-18, 11:43 AM
A Cloak of Elvenkind would pretty much guarantee success at every stealth check you make.

That might be what i go with. It makes sense thematically and it's optimal.

Santra
2015-04-18, 02:39 PM
Be warned that some DM's take offense at how powerful the CoE is.

Gnomes2169
2015-04-18, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure that the Cloak of Elvenkind is actually a "minor" magic item. Isn't it rated as rare? When I think "minor," I typically think of an uncommon or purely utility item like a +1 weapon, goggles of identification and a bag of holding/ bag of beans (... okay, maybe that last one isn't so minor, but it is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:)

Wartex1
2015-04-18, 02:55 PM
It's better than the Boots of Elvenkind and its only disadvantage is requiring attunement. However, it seriously should be at least Very Rare.

SharkForce
2015-04-18, 03:08 PM
*shrug* sometimes there is little reason for magic items to be in certain rareness categories. the poster child for this is, of course, the sovereign glue, but it's hardly the only one.

i'd talk to your DM to make sure that "minor" means "uncommon" before making any selection. the cloak of elvenkind is actually a very powerful item in terms of what it does.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-18, 05:44 PM
Ask and make certain your DM does not mean "trinket" here. It's a 5e thing, and they are amusing but functionally useless.

If, in fact, he does mean something from the magic item tables, ask him which DMG tables you are allowed to chose from. Because I'm guessing the Clock of Elvenkind isn't going to be viewed as "minor".

Pandyman
2015-04-18, 08:59 PM
I asked to make sure what he meant by minor and he said he meant an uncommon magic item. He said cloak of Elvenkind will be fine since we're running a high magic campaign. A lot of the cloaks look cool i really like the Cloak of the Mantaray even though swim speed will be pretty pointless in a campaign that doesn't take place in the high sea. lol

Gritmonger
2015-04-18, 10:02 PM
Ask and make certain your DM does not mean "trinket" here. It's a 5e thing, and they are amusing but functionally useless.

If, in fact, he does mean something from the magic item tables, ask him which DMG tables you are allowed to chose from. Because I'm guessing the Clock of Elvenkind isn't going to be viewed as "minor".

Yeah - a Clock of Elvenkind is totally OP - precision stopwatch, luminescent dial, multiple time zones (Feywild and Astral) plus automatic trance tracking and hey-I-know-you-don't-really-sleep-but-it's-time-to-get-up-alarm.

Giant2005
2015-04-18, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure that the Cloak of Elvenkind is actually a "minor" magic item. Isn't it rated as rare? When I think "minor," I typically think of an uncommon or purely utility item like a +1 weapon, goggles of identification and a bag of holding/ bag of beans (... okay, maybe that last one isn't so minor, but it is hilarious. :smallbiggrin:)

The Cloak of Elvenkind is Uncommon. Although I agree that it should probably be Rare... or maybe even higher.

TheOOB
2015-04-18, 11:00 PM
The whole rarity thing in the DMG is garbage. Item rarity seems to have little correlation to how much said item impacts the game. A broom of flying which completely eliminates the challange from 95% of environmental based encounters in uncommon, and should have a market value of less than a suit of plate mail?

Shining Wrath
2015-04-20, 04:16 PM
Yeah - a Clock of Elvenkind is totally OP - precision stopwatch, luminescent dial, multiple time zones (Feywild and Astral) plus automatic trance tracking and hey-I-know-you-don't-really-sleep-but-it's-time-to-get-up-alarm.

It's the one-per-day cantrip that really adds to the price

ruy343
2015-04-20, 06:08 PM
Frankly, I would recommend slippers of spider climbing, which isn't new to the edition, certainly, but it makes an arcane trickster all the more funny.