PDA

View Full Version : Tales out of Arthenhal

Stormlance
2015-04-18, 01:00 PM
Arrival in Arthenhal

The journey has been a long one, but one relatively devoid of troubles. Besides some foul weather, muddy roads, and the occasional encounter with surly merchants heading the opposite direction, the journey has not presented the small group of adventurers with many difficulties. They have been able to find a small town or isolated farm to stay at most nights, and on nights they could not, camping off the road has proven pleasant enough. However, the journey has come to an end, and the trials of a troubled kingdom now lay ahead.

As the group crests a gently sloping hill, the road now dry and dusty at their feet, they get their first look at the valley kingdom of Arthenhal stretching out below them. The brown ribbon of the road winds its way through rolling lands that perhaps were once green and fertile. Now only brown grass and weed choked fields remain. Crows circle overhead, landing to peck at the dry fields in search of food, their loud caws echoing in the still air. Here and there the remains of abandoned farmhouses dot the landscape ahead, left to rot as the farmers and their families have been forced to move to the cities in search of food and work. It is a bleak and hopeless view.

A few miles down the road rise the low stone walls of a city that has clearly seen better day. The walls show different colors of stone where repairs have been made, and large sections of the battlements have been replaced by wooden stockades where the workers could not get enough stone to complete the work. From behind the walls a single great tower stands tall, overlooking the surrounding land. Where once it was likely a grand sight and a strong pillar of authority, it now seems a drab and sad reminder of better times. Disrepair can clearly be seen even at a distance, and the banners that once proudly hung from the windows are now weather worn and tattered. This is Tower Watch, the gateway to Arthenhal.

As the group draws closer to the gates of the city, they find a small crowd of people awaiting entrance. Dirty peasants stand in lines as guards in studded leather and holding halberds stop each one to ask questions before waving them through. Even from outside the group can see the city beyond appears crowded and filthy, and there is a noticeable stench of unwashed bodies and refuse.

The group is now free to choose their own direction. Besides the rumors listed in the character hooks, the group knows little of the state of the kingdom or the troubles that plague it.

Junk Masterson
2015-04-18, 05:07 PM
John Trimmack

John wrinkles his nose at the smell of body odor and sweat. He may not smell any better, but he would like to think he does. Looking to his allies he smiles, "Perhaps we should ask around, and see if there is anything around here that could use our particular skill set."

JDL
2015-04-18, 11:02 PM
Smith nods quietly, his entire focus devoted to appearing as nondescript and unremarkable as possible under the examination of the guards. When his turn comes to be questioned, he gives his name as "Jones, traveller, seeking food and board," and enters the city.

"Agreed sir, let's set our meeting point there and reconvene after we've gathered as much information as possible regarding the local situation," he says, pointing to a large tree that looks like it was set on fire sometime in the recent past. "I'll see what the good folk have to say about the recent events and let you know what I find out soon."

Skills used:

Disguise: Take 10 with +5 bonus for minor details only for a total of 19 vs. Spot (usually taking 10) to pass the guards without them identifying him.
Gather Information: Take 10 for a total of 10 vs. DC 10 to get a general idea of a city’s major news items. Time taken: [roll0] hours.

SchwhatNow
2015-04-19, 05:31 AM
Caelindir

Before the group even makes it to the line Caelindir says almost arrogantly "And so we walk into the plague ridden city in hopes of finding information." He shakes his head, not expecting a response he moves through the line and eventually into the city beyond.

He notes the burned tree to be their meeting point and decides to walk the streets and get a better idea of the layout. All while keeping his ears open for any interesting news.

Going to roll a few checks just in case multiple opportunities arise, if not then just take the first one as my check.

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

Stormlance
2015-04-19, 08:05 AM
Gonna back things up a bit. It's not so simple getting into the city as you have assumed

It takes several minutes for the crowd of people to move along enough for the group to reach the gate. When they do they come face to face with a tired looking middle aged man who leans heavily on his halberd. He stands a little straighter when he notices the heavily armed group of strangers, and a few of the other guards move a bit closer, eyeing the group, "Whats your business in Tower Watch?" he asks, obviously the same thing he asks everyone who passes the gate.

At Smith's Response the guard shakes his head, "Best seek it elsewhere. No one is allowed inside the walls without legitimate business. We have to watch for plague victims and bandits. Its our job to keep out the vagrants and quarantine the sick to Old Temple Row. Unless you're a merchant, you have business with the trade guilds or the Shepherds you'll have to move along" the guard motions back the way the group came.

JDL
2015-04-19, 08:22 AM
"Then we keep walking I suppose, and wait to see what the road provides us," says Smith, turning to walk around the city walls and continue the way the group were travelling. "If the city gates are closed to outsiders I have no interest in forcing my way inside," he says to his companions as they circumnavigate the city. "We'd only draw attention to ourselves and that will lead to unpleasant outcomes. Let's keep going and see whether the next town is the same. Between us I'm certain we'll be able to handle any trouble on the road."

Smith will travel at half speed for the rest of the day, taking 10 on his Survival check to get along in the wilderness to provide food for himself.

SchwhatNow
2015-04-19, 08:52 AM
Caelindir

"If the city is closed to us, we find the path that is open. Best we move on then." Caelindir states calmly.

Caelindir will also be moving at half-speed but I will roll it on the chance that I can find additional supplies for the party.
(10 is a success. Every 2 points above 10 means an additional person is fed)

[roll0]

Seharvepernfan
2015-04-19, 09:11 AM
Aerowyn Foxfire

Aerowyn has never seen a city, and has rarely seen humans. Despite having read and heard much about them, the sight of a poorly-run city is still something of a shock to him. He simply can't hide his disgust and pity, but he can keep quiet about it, as usual. The guard...is not the most pleasant person, but Aerowyn still has a few questions for him, "Where is this Old Temple Row? And who are the Shepards?" He holds a copper coin in one first, and will hand it to the guard if the man develops an attitude toward the questions.

edit: Actually, would those be knowledge checks?

Jastu
2015-04-20, 09:18 AM
Endritin

"Good sir, I understand that you have to weed out the bad and the ill, but it seems that information we require comes from within, or maybe from you. I speak only for one of the others, but I have heard rumors of the goblins that have been plaguing this area and as their kind has committed countless acts against my people, I came to help rid these lands of these vermin. If you have any details of where they may be camped, or can point me to someone who can I would greatly appreciate it."

Depending on the guards response to his polite inquiry, Endritin will either follow the others or try to get them to come with him should he gain entry.

Try to be polite(Diplomacy):[roll0]

Junk Masterson
2015-04-20, 01:36 PM
John Trimmack

John nods to the watchman. "I understand that you are just doing what you feel is best for the town, and I commend you for that. I can promise you that we are not sick and are not carrying the plague. We are certainly not bandits. But neither are we merchants. We do however have a variety of skills that may let us help you and city." John smiles to the guard.

"Before we move on, is there anything that we can do to assist you and the town?"

John speaks confidently and as forthcoming as he can. He forgo's any honeyed words, knowing that watchmen and guards hate that crap. He is simply straight forwrad.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Stormlance
2015-04-22, 05:08 AM
The guard regards Aerowyn for a moment before responding, "Old Temple Row is a street on the north end of the city, the Shepherds use it to quarantine the sick while they try and find a cure. The Shepherds are the royal medicinal guild, they possess the support of the crown and are charged with aiding the victims of the plague," the guard explains as if to a child, obviously this information must be well known to the locals.

At the mention of goblins the guard turns his attention to Endritin, "You believe that tripe? Nothing but baseless rumors started by the farmers to make the Watch look foolish. Discredit the defenders of the realm and make the king look bad. They're malcontents looking to stir up trouble. There haven't been any goblins in these parts in over five years," the guard sighs and takes a moment to study the group, "But...if you really want to waste your time, I heard there's someone on Watcher's Hill spreading tales of goblins," the guard points into the city, "It's on the east side, can't miss it. Don't cause any trouble, and if you plan to stay the night make sure you get a room somewhere. Anyone found sleeping in the street will spend the night in the tower cells," he waves the group through and turns his attention back to the line of peasants.

Junk Masterson
2015-04-22, 11:31 AM
John Trimmack

John smiles to the guard, and thanks him for the info before they move along. "It seems Watcher's Hill is a place we need to look into a bit more. What say we try to gather a bit more information before heading up that way?"

SchwhatNow
2015-04-24, 07:28 PM
Caelindir

"I agree. Let us see what information of the goblins there is to be had and be on our way. This city is oppressive to me and I would like to leave it as quickly as possible."
Caelindir visibly shifts as he speaks, subtly displaying his discomfort.

Stormlance
2015-04-25, 03:00 PM
Inside the city gates, a wide avenue brings the group into a market square of cobbled stone. The square is surrounded by shops and ale houses, each proclaiming its goods or services with simple painted signboards hung outside the doors. It smells rather unpleasantly of refuse, and a few stray dogs nose about in the gutters in search of scraps. there are surprisingly few stalls or carts set up, and those the group does see are not well stocked and selling only a small variety of local foods and shabby pelts or simple home crafted goods.

As the group idles in the marketsquare they see a small group of people in black robes pass through wearing black masks that cover their faces entierly. Black glass lenses allow them to see out, and the face of the masks are extended away from their faces in a roughly bird-like fashion. People move quickly from their path as they walk past, and soon they have crossed the square and disappeared down a wide causeway heading north, furthur into the city.

Exactly what information are you trying to gather? Who do you speak to? What questions do you ask? you can use your previous rolls, but I want at least a little roleplay to back up those rolls.

JDL
2015-04-25, 08:06 PM
Smith hands his weapons to John Trimmack for safekeeping, assuming it will be easier to gather information from the locals when he's not heavily armed. For the next four hours he wanders the market and other public locations, speaking with the merchants about their wares, asking them of what troubles they've had in obtaining goods, discussing the weather, plague, and other items of interest and trying to strike up conversations with anyone willing to speak with him. He looks for any written noticeboards or town criers describing the local news as well.

Jastu
2015-04-25, 08:20 PM
Endritin

After thanking the guard for his time, and allowing them into the city proper, he will head with the rest of the group towards the area of Watcher's Hill indicated by the guard, keeping an eye out for would be ruffians.

Spot:[roll0]

Seharvepernfan
2015-04-25, 08:58 PM
Aerowyn stays with the rest of the group as they walk to Watcher's Hill. "Let's see what this 'someone' has to say first." He leaves it at that, content to pay attention to the city around him as they go. So much stone and harvested wood, so many people crowded together on top of each other. Horrifying, yet fascinating...

Let's go to Watcher's Hill, and ask a bar/innkeeper about the person spreading info about the goblins, then try to find that person. If we need more info after that, we can search for it then.

Junk Masterson
2015-04-26, 05:27 PM
John nods, and takes Smith's weapons. He will find a small tavern and grab a table and wait on his friends to rejoin him. He will purchase a simple meal with water to drink.

SchwhatNow
2015-04-28, 09:01 PM
Caelindir

Noting the tavern that John decides to enter, Caelindir continues on with the group towards Watcher's Hill. His eyes scrutinizing every passing person and his ears listening for any information that happens pass by.

Taking a 10 for listen just in case for a total of 17.

Junk Masterson
2015-04-28, 09:47 PM
John Trimmack

While at the table, John will attempt to stir up some conversation with the locals. "Anything interesting going on in these parts?"

Junk Masterson
2015-05-09, 09:32 PM
John twiddles his thumbs out of boredom while waiting on someone to return... Anyone.

JDL
2015-05-09, 10:25 PM
Smith returns after an eventful few hours, nodding at the group as he enters and taking a seat. He thanks John as he collects his gear and begins relating the information he's gathered from the locals.

"...so in summary, things are bad," he says, finishing and taking a long pull from his flagon. "I'd think we're best off staying low to the ground and avoiding too much notice. The king's men aren't actively searching for us, but that could change if we stir up too much trouble." Smith keeps his head down and his voice low, wary of nearby patrons listening in or trying to read his lips. "Did you find out anything more about the goblins?"

Junk Masterson
2015-05-10, 05:44 AM
John Trimmack

John smiles to Smith as he returns his items. "I learned that this bunch here is not very talkative. Regarding goblins, I learned nothing. How do you suggest we proceed from here?"