PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Variant, is this fair?

Necromas
2007-04-15, 02:34 PM
Do you think it'd be fair to remove arcane channeling, spell power, and maybe quick cast from the Dusblade's class abilities and instead give him access to the wiz/sorc spell list and a few more spells known? (as a result you also lose the spells duskblades get at lower levels than other casters like disintegrate and polar ray).

Disadvantages: No arcane channeling coolness, no disintegrate and polar ray, maybe no quick cast.

Advantages: Access to a plethora of buffs and utility spells far surpassing the normal duskblade spell list.

Also, I was thinking of making a divine version of the duskblade with access to the paladin spell list (of course I'd have to add 5th level spells to it) and I was wondering if I should give it something different than a divine version of arcane channeling, any ideas?

Jalil
2007-04-15, 02:36 PM
Um, no.

Then you'd get full BAB, full Spells, and a good hit die. Why would anyone play wizards?

Matthew
2007-04-15, 02:44 PM
Indeed. Just change the Spell List or Spell Slot progression if you don't like it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-15, 02:51 PM
Um. I think changing the spell list is what he meant.

Matthew
2007-04-15, 02:55 PM
Sure, but expanding the number of Spells known is where the problem lies with this idea.

Necromas
2007-04-15, 03:20 PM
I guess if I kept quick cast I'd not expand the spells known, even though 1 per level still seems pretty low. But if you remove quick cast I think it would justify giving them at least as many spells known as a battle sorcerer would have.

In comparison a battle sorcerer gets up to 9th level spells and more spells known but only has medium bab and light armor casting.

Or just compare it to gish builds with 16+ BAB and 9th level arcane spells.

Hell, it still won't hold a candle a decently built cleric.

Just think of it as a fighter/mage gish you can play from level 1 that doesn't get out of hand at higher levels since you are limited to 5th level spells.

Lapak
2007-04-16, 03:08 PM
You could do this, but you'd be taking away the very things that I think make the Duskblade both interesting and balanced.

So I wouldn't recommend it.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 03:14 PM
on another board someone changed the spell list to elemental schools, cant seem to find it now but it was a pretty good idea.