PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Mephits

Bad Wolf
2015-04-18, 02:43 PM
Mirror Mephits have access to Simulacrum, one of the most powerful spells, as a 1/day SLA. How would you Nerf this if someone had a Mirror Mephit as a familiar?

atemu1234
2015-04-18, 02:44 PM
Mirror Mephits have access to Simulacrum, one of the most powerful spells, as a 1/day SLA. How would you Nerf this if someone had a Mirror Mephit as a familiar?

Take the SLA and burn it in a fire?

daremetoidareyo
2015-04-18, 03:28 PM
Just nerf the terms of the simulacrum SLA for mirror mephits, it's not like the spell like abilities are supposed to be carbon copies of the spells that they are based on anyway, we all know that's not how magic works ;):

Here is the text that you change:
Simulacrum creates an illusory duplicate of any creature. The duplicate creature is partially real and formed from ice or snow. It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature's levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD). You can't create a simulacrum of a creature whose Hit Dice or levels exceed twice your caster level.

I would change it to say:
It appears to be the same as the original, but it has levels or hit dice equal to half of the caster's level (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD). You can't create a simulacrum of a creature whose Hit Dice or levels exceed twice your caster level.

And then I would add a duration on the simulacrum (probably flat rate of 24 hours/ or 1 day +1 day per 4 caster levels)

This way the simulacrum's power is pinned to the familiars power. He can make anything he wants (up to 40hd paragon) but it's hd and abilities are limited to be at mephit level, and he won't just make an army dire pazuzus. On reflection (badump ting), you could probably set it as 3/4 of the casters level and it won't be too broken with the flat rate 24 hour duration.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-04-18, 03:33 PM
Switch it for one of the other mephits or another familiar?
If you're not comfortable with Simulacrum as a SLA don't allow your players to get a Mirror Mephit as a familiar.

Or just tell the player that he doesn't get the Simulacrum SLA. It's not like Mirror Mephits aren't pretty good without it.

Demidos
2015-04-18, 03:33 PM
Give them some random other spell (invisibility (anti mirror, basically), reflective glamer, mirror image, etc etc etc). Make them able to reach into themselves into a different dimension to store things (a la nerra/bag of holding).

ETc etc

Or just look at Nerra for inspiration

Eldan
2015-04-18, 04:48 PM
I'd say let them create illusions of whatever creatures they encounter. Not real duplicates.

Bad Wolf
2015-04-19, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So here's two House rules I was thinking of using.

1: Mephit needs the material component.

and/or 2: Mephot can only make copies of itself and its owner.

Opinions?