PDA

View Full Version : Skya's Carrion Crown IC

Skya
2015-04-18, 03:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9stg1Lv.jpg?1

Tales are told throughout Golarion of shadowy figures that lurk in dark corners—stories recounted at children’s bedsides feature bestial creatures that come out only when the moon is right, and fireside legends speak of otherworldly beings beyond reckoning, whose very existence is more than the human mind can bear to know. These are the legends that explain where the blood of the family cow went, and why clerics spend so much time ensuring the proper Pharasmin rites are observed at gravesites throughout the Inner Sea. One can write them off as simple, scary stories in Absalom or Westcrown, but in Ustalav, everyone knows the truth of the things that go bump in the night.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/87832/ustalav.jpg

Cursed with a history of tragedy and faded glory, Ustalav clings to its legendary past even as it struggles to forget centuries of horrors. From the fog-shrouded cliffs of Lake Encarthan to the tangled maze of the Shudderwood, the fractious nation bears an infamous reputation as a place of birth and rebirth for tyrants.

The Immortal Principality of Ustalav lies on the northern shore of Lake Encarthan, a grim bastion of civilization amid the barbarian north, where a harsh landscape and a history rich in tragedies inspire a wary population with skepticism, religious devotion, and superstition. A conglomeration of loosely affiliated counties, each run by feuding nobles vying for power and inf luence, Ustalav is a pitiful shell of its former glory, before it was subjugated to centuries of slavery at the hands of the Whispering Tyrant’s undead armies. While the nation’s upper classes struggle to compete with the very nations that abandoned them to fend for themselves after the Whispering Tyrant’s defeat, the average Ustalavic citizen has it much worse. Hundreds of years of subjugation and the residual horrors that plague the countryside have left the people of Ustalav suspicious of magic, religion, foreigners, and their fellow citizens. Beyond their eccentric and insular qualities, Ustalavs often have a dour worldview. They resign themselves to lives of suffering, seeing nothing in their people’s history to suggest there is any hope for a better life. Despite the physical and psychological strains upon its populace, Ustalav nevertheless fosters extremely hardy and tenacious stock: men and women who firmly believe that no matter how bad it gets, history shows it could always be worse.

Although Ustalav has little to offer its rural peasants, inhabitants of its many metropolitan cities fare somewhat better, and the centers of learning and culture they provide draw trade and travelers from throughout the Inner Sea region. The capital, Caliphas, stands on the banks of Lake Encarthan, and its fog-shrouded streets host some of the nation’s most esteemed centers of trade and academia. In the north, the city of Karcau boasts a thriving culture of music, theater, and other fine arts, and its opulent architecture rivals the excess of even the most exotic Taldan palace. Meanwhile, Ustalav’s northwestern counties have broken from aristocratic rule and formed their own local, democratic government without nobles, calling themselves the Palatinates and providing a glimmer of hope for the downtrodden people of provincial Ustalav.

Dear Friend,

I hope this letter finds you well. It is with great regret that I must advise you of the passing of my father, Professor Petros Lorrimor. I have been tasked by Councilman Vashian Hearthmount, the executor of my father’s will, to summon you as you have been named in that document.
This came as a great surprise to me, never having met you, however if my father held you in high esteem enough to be a beneficiary of his estate, then I can only assume you must be of good character. Consequently I hereby extend an invitation to you to stay at my home in Ravengro while you attend the funeral and subsequent reading of the will. It is the least that I can offer in these sad times.
I have made arrangements for the funeral to occur on the 12th day of Rova 4711 and that the reading of my father’s final Will and Testament will occur later that afternoon. I look forward to meeting you and hearing stories of my father’s exploits.
Yours sincerely,

Kendra Lorrimor

After long days of travel, you finaly arrive at the small town of Ravengro.

Numerous small towns dot the fog-shrouded landscape of Ustalav. At first glance, these towns might all seem kindred spirits—cozy collections of quaint buildings surrounded by farmland, their skylines decorated by the steeples of Pharasmin churches or the steep rooflines of colorful taverns. Ravengro is no exeption.

Before you have time to look around for an inn, your heard many people talking about the main event of the day: the burying of Professor Lorrimor. In fact, you learn that it is suppose to start anytime now. So without waiting, you make your way to The Restlands, Ravengro cemetary.

Arriving at the entrance to the Restlands, a handfull of people are gathered near the gate, next to cart on wich is a coffin.

( You can make your entrance. You are assumed to arrive individually, dressed as you traveled and with all your luggage.)

http://i.imgur.com/dqI9kmU.png?1

A. Town Square
B. The Posting Poles
C. The Laughing Demon (tavern)
D. Ravengro Town Hall
E. Temple of Pharasma
F. Ravengro General Store
G. Ravengro Forge
H. Apothecary
I. Ravengro Jail
J. The Silk Purse (bank, moneylender)
K. The Outward Inn
L. The Unfurling Scroll (schoolhouse)
M(1,2,3,4). Council Member’s Home
N. The Lorrimor Place (Kendra's home)
O. Harrowstone Memorial
P. The Restlands
Q. Vauran Grimburrow's House (Head priest of Pharasma)
R. Harrowstone

(If you want a more detail description of any of these place, you have to go there in game.)

Othniel
2015-04-18, 04:20 PM
Herbert Roche shouldered his pack. It had become considerably lighter since the start of his journey many months ago. He’d taken ship from Absalom and landed in Cassomir. From there, he had joined a merchant river boat traveling the Sellen Passage, taking a temporary station as a guard for the merchants. The boat had landed in Bellis where it took on supplies, giving Herbert a chance to stretch his legs. From there, the river boat headed still further north until the Sellen forked, the travelers taking the western branch to Lake Encarthan. The boat landed at Thronestep, and Herbert took one final voyage across the lake to Caliphas. Once there, he received directions to the village of Ravengro and hastened as quickly as he could, time drawing short for the funeral. He arrived seemingly in the nick of time, the funeral about to commence.

As he walked the last steps toward the cemetery, his mind drifted back to the past. He remembered the deaths of his parents and the journey he and his sister had taken to Absalom. Memories surfaced of his meeting with the Professor and the aid Lorrimor had provided Herbert in his quest for vengeance. He now wondered, not for the first time, what he was doing here. Lorrimor had mentioned calling upon Herbert to repay the debt sometime in the future. Herbert wondered silently to himself. Could this be it? Simply attend an old man’s funeral? Or was there something more to be asked of him? Herbert shook off these feelings and joined the group near the coffin, looking on with mixed feelings of curiosity and trepidation.

Diachronos
2015-04-18, 07:18 PM
Tyvorhan pulls her hood down further to keep her face hidden as she walks through the streets of Ravengro. Her luck had held up thus far, as she'd encountered little trouble with the surface-dwellers since leaving her cavernous home near the base of the Kodar Mountains, but she expected that it wouldn't last. Everyone's luck ran out in the end; her former owner's had, and it was the reason she was now free. So far, nobody had questioned the spider-silk cloak she wore, and they didn't look at her almost excessive clothing with much suspicion either, though her amber eyes continued to dart around in search of potential threats.

Her steps slow as she wandered toward the cemetery, her mind focusing on the reason she was here. Professor Lorrimor... The letter informing her of his death affected her very strangely; why had she wept upon reading the words? Death was a normal thing in the Darklands, so why did this one man's passing cause her such grief? Likely because he wasn't just her former employer, he was the man who'd shown her the first kindness she'd ever experienced. Very likely that he was the only person she could truly call a 'friend' as well.

The drow's path finally leads into the Restlands, and she stops a few yards away from the cart bearing the coffin. "Professor Lorrimor's mourners?" She hated how clumsy the words sounded coming out of her mouth; Tyvorhan had been forced to learn Common just to be able to converse with the surface dwellers, and while she could speak well enough to get her points across she found the language awkward and difficult to master.

kornwiser
2015-04-18, 10:13 PM
It had been to Sonja's great surprise when a message magically arrived to her from the priests at the temple, since they had not been in contact with her since she left over a year ago. When she heard its contents, however, she understood why.

'Professor Lorrimor dead.
You are named in will.
Travel to Ravengro, in Ustalav, on Rova 12.
Stay with Kendra Lorrimor.
We all send our condolences.'

She had been staying in a Shoanti village in eastern Varisia for the night, and immediately packed up and followed their directions to Janderhoff, where she purchased a nicer set of clothing and hitched a ride on the fastest transportation to Ustalav she could afford. She had expected the first time she left her native country of Varisia to be an occasion of joy. Instead, she silently watched the scenery grow more gray and dour as they traveled east, serendipitously arriving at Ravengro the morning of the Professor's funeral. Memories of the man who had saved her life so many years ago winded through her head as she walked through the town's streets, painfully aware of how the townspeople stared at her.

She tried to act as 'human' as possible, straightening her posture and shortening her stride, imitating the way she had seen the priests walk through the courtyard. It didn't help the stares. Spotting the gathering of figures forming in the graveyard, she quickened her pace and headed that way.

A chill went through her body as she approached the coffin, thinking of the Professor's body being inside. She gave a few awkward smiles, not really sure what to do besides keep to the back and silently get lost in thought.

Juukyuu
2015-04-19, 01:07 PM
At first, it was weird that the professor had stopped sending letters after maintaining contact for almost a year. They exchanged soo much the night they met each other and so on on various topics that John considered him a good friend. It came as a surprise when John received news of his passing. Not knowing how to feel at first, the mixed feeling of sadness and wonder as he was invited to the reading of his will mostly took him by surprised.

John quickly packed up his gear and traveled north mostly with caravans and travelers from his town of Eranmas in Molthune all the way to Ravengro. He walked with haste, looking at the burial date, John passed the town gate just in time. Asking for the directions to the cemitary, he arrived at the graveyard's gate as the cart was arriving. Taking a sip from his holy flask, John make a quick prayer for the late professor. As he remembered the joy of their first encounter and all the time they both spent writing each other.

Approaching the gate, John took a long look at who was present and tried to find out what were their relation with his late friend. A half-orc and a drow, he sure had contacts on various origins in this xenophobic country. With his mind wandering for some minutes, He tried to locate Lorrimor's daughter so he could give her his sympathies.

Skya
2015-04-19, 02:32 PM
As the four newcomers arrive in succession, the peoples already present look at them out of curiosity. You can see surprise and interrogation in their eyes, seeing a drow and an half-orc, as well as armor humans, but they all keep quiet.

When Tyvorhan ask her question, 2 men simply nod to her.

When John arrive, a woman who was standing next to the cart advance toward the middle of the gathering. Her eyes are red and puffy and she dresses in dark conservative clothes.

Imagine she is dressed in black.
http://i.imgur.com/QwDi84J.png

" It look like everyone is here. Welcome all, i'm Kendra Lorrimor, daughter of professor Petros Lorrimor. If you are here, that's mean my father holded you in high esteem, and i'll do the same. But for now, let's proceed with the burial. Would any of you do my father the honor to be his pallbearers? "

Juukyuu
2015-04-19, 02:42 PM
Without even taking a second to think about it, John took his backpack, his bow and quivers and even his weapon belt and deposited them by the cart as he presented himself the the late professor's daughter.

''I'm sorry we couldn't meet in different circumstances Kendra. It would be a great honor to serve your father one last time as his pallbearers.''

That being said, he waited for others to join him before taking his place by the coffin.

Diachronos
2015-04-19, 02:55 PM
Tyvorhan tilts herchead slightly at the question that Kendra asks, but rather than answering and revealing her ignorance of human burial customs she simply moves next to John and nods.

Othniel
2015-04-19, 03:12 PM
"I am sorry for your loss, Miss. Lorrimor," Herbert stated. Lowering his voice so that only Kendra and those near her could hear, he continued, "I only knew your father briefly, but he was of great aid to me years ago in a matter most dire." The man steeled himself for his next statement. "Please, if there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to ask." With that, he took his place near the coffin and waited for the procession to commence.

kornwiser
2015-04-19, 11:49 PM
Sonja swiftly followed the others who stepped forward, but a frog caught in her throat as she opened her mouth to speak, a combination of the damp weather and the state of her emotions.

"Yggh-" She cleared her throat. "Your father saved my life many years ago, Ms. Lorrimor. I will honor his memory any way that I can."

Skya
2015-04-20, 05:43 AM
Each time one of you step foward and propose to be a pallbearers, Kendra nod and whisper a "thank you."

When the four pallbearers are ready, Kendra take a huge inspiration.

"Ok let's begin. Follow me with the casket, please."

http://i.imgur.com/zYaKpg0.png?1

Begining at the southwest, you follow Kendra down the entry road, than she turn north on the Dreamwake. The gravel pathway lead to the northest path, the Eversleep, but as you approach the intersection, the way ahead is blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals. As soon as they see you coming, the tallest of the bunch speak up.

“That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!”

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. She cries out.

“What are you talking about? I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He’s waiting for us! The grave’s already been...”

“You don’t get it, woman. We won’t have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now.”

“Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant?”

(Since you are suppose to only have a small time window to decide if you step in or not, i'll let you until tonight around 7 (EST) to continue.)

Othniel
2015-04-20, 11:41 AM
Herbert almost stumbled when he heard the accusation of necromancer thrown at the deceased man. "Necromancer?" he asked in surprise. "I only knew the man briefly, but...he wasn't the type to get mixed up in that. Rather the opposite, I should think."

Diachronos
2015-04-20, 03:27 PM
Tyvorhan narrows her eyes at the gathered protesters, and pulls her hood back for the first time since she'd set out for Ravengro that morning. "We came here to pay respects to a dead acquaintance, not to toy around with judgmental thugs. We'd prefer to just come and go peacefully, but if you insist on blocking our path or getting violent, I have no issue with fighting back."

Not sure if that would be a Diplomacy or an Intimidate, but the check would be the same either way: [roll0]

kornwiser
2015-04-20, 04:53 PM
Necromancy...? Could it be true?

The old professor had indeed taken a great interest in the effects of the wound dealt to her as a child, and also told her of his studies into the nature of the undead. But everything he talked about involved destroying undead, not resurrecting them.

Sonja hesitated, not sure whether she should intervene. Two of the other pallbearers spoke up, and after gawking for a moment at the dark elf, Sonja resolved to stand with them. She did not speak but tried to look imposing as she held the coffin up.

Juukyuu
2015-04-20, 07:01 PM
Still a little bit surprised with such an accusation, it didn't take long before John spoke up after the other pallbearers.

"I'm sorry for your ideas and what you lot wanted to do here but we all came here to pay respect to a dear friend. Also, it is as Kendra already said, the burial has been arranged with the one that manages the place. Now I dont know if you want to go and take your worries to the authorities or not but leave us do what se came here to do."

With a stern gaze, he looked at the one that looked in charge.

Sense motive: [roll0]

Skya
2015-04-20, 07:30 PM
While the gang clearly looked aggresive, seeing the pallbearers defend the dead professor with such vigor make them hesitate. They look at each other while whispering.

After a few seconds, a voice echoes throught the graveyard.

" What's going on here?"

The thugs turn to the east. Following where they are looking, you see an old man on the gravel path, looking at the group with a stern glare. The leader of the thugs look around a bit and let out a sigh.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/39849/Father_Grimburrow.jpg

" "Bah! The nine Hells take you lot! Fine, bury the old geezer here in the Restlands, see if I care!"

The group gather their things and leave, looking back at the pallbearers and Kendra with grudge in their eyes.

Kendra turn back to look at the four strangers. Tears a visible in her eyes.

" Thank you. So much."

Without waiting for any answer, she turn back and walk toward the priest while wiping her tears away.

----

After a few minutes, you finaly arrive at the tomb. Father Grimburrow show you where to put the casket, and two gravediggers start to lower it in a ground.

Then Father Grimburrow begins his speech. "Today, we have gathered here, to commemorate Petros Lorrimor, father to Kendra Lorrimor..."

The sermon lasts all but ten minutes; the air is laden with mourning. He invites Kendra to say a few words. She fights back tears, her voice trembling. "I ... I have no words to say. Father was... he was the best father I could ever ask for. I remember the year I turned ten, when we first moved to Ravengro, that whenever I did something bad, that my father would scare me by saying that he'll call a very angry Half Orc he knew that punished little girls. I remember he brought home a carved moonstone cup from the Feywild Court, or the quartz skull from a earth elemental, or how he'd regale the stories of his adventures against the goblin tribes of Varisia. Oh those stories, how he'd like to tell them. And... and I will miss him so..."

She buries her face in her hands, unable to utter another word. Father Grimburrow gives her gentle comfort. "Does anyone wish to honour Petros Lorrimor?"

Juukyuu
2015-04-20, 10:08 PM
As father Grimborrow finishes his sentence, John takes one step forward and began his small speech.

"I might not have known the professor very well... Meh, he's actually the only person here that I knew in my lifetime. But I clearly remember the night we met at my town's inn. As i was telling an old tell of mine, he came and blew my mind with all his stories and theories. We didn't exchanged as much as I would have wanted that faithful night but I cherish it from the bottom of my heart. He was a good men, a men that I would have liked to pass more time with than just one day."

john took a moment of silence while looking as the coffin. Took a step back and let someone else take his place.

Othniel
2015-04-20, 11:27 PM
Herbert speaks up where John leaves off. "I did not know Professor Lorrimor well. In fact, I only met him twice. Once when someone introduced me to him, and the second time he provided me with information that was of great assistance to me. Without Professor Lorrimor's timely aid, justice would still be denied to two people very close to me." The man falls silent and bows his head, no doubt dwelling upon the memories he just shared.

kornwiser
2015-04-21, 01:21 AM
Sonja waited until the other two finished before hesitantly speaking up.

"Erm...when I was little, the professor saved my life. Everything since then, I owe to him as debt. He tried to make the world a little brighter."

Skya
2015-04-21, 05:25 PM
Two of the villager that are with Kendra since you arrive also decide to speak up, telling stories about how the professor helped them when one of their relative was sick or with strange events that were going on around their home.

After a few minutes, Father Grimburrow say the final words to close the ceremony. Kendra thank him, and begin to thank everyone one by one, and saying them goodbye.

When only the four of you remains, she speak up to all of you.

"Thank you again, each and every one of you. My father would be honored that you all manage to be here today. If you don't mind, i invite you all to come back with me to my father hou.....to my house. We could have a drink, and Councilman Hearthmount will be coming later to read my father's will."

Juukyuu
2015-04-21, 07:45 PM
With a gentle smile, John agrees to Kendra's invitation.

''It will be with great pleasure. Let me grab my gear at the entrance, i'll be right back.''

That being said, John bows to Kendra and leaves to get his equipment back from the entrance.

Diachronos
2015-04-21, 07:50 PM
Tyvorhan nods at Kendra's invitation, though she pulls her hood back up to hide her appearance soon after. "The will... is that a message he left for us in his passing?"

Othniel
2015-04-21, 08:06 PM
Herbert recovered his pack and joined the others around Kendra. "Erastil's antlers, I could use a good drink!" He shook his head in frustration. "Are the townsfolk here always so welcoming, Miss Lorrimor?"

Skya
2015-04-21, 08:17 PM
Kendra answer to Tyvorhan first.

"I'm not sure. One of the stipulation was that the four of you must be present before the will is open."

Then, she answer to Herbert.

" The folks of Ravengro don't really like strangers. I hope they will not cause you trouble while you are here. As for what happen earlier... i don't know what to say. My father was not the most liked man in town, but a necromancer? That's absurd."

kornwiser
2015-04-21, 08:20 PM
Sonja bowed slightly.

"Very well, Miss Lorrimor. I do not know how long I shall stay after the will reading, though. Though you are showing us great hospitality, I do not feel very welcome here."

Skya
2015-04-21, 08:37 PM
" Don't worry about them. They are mostly harmless. Let's go."

Kendra walk with you back to Ravengro, and to her home. The Lorrimor residence is a modest home with crowded bookshelves in every room. As you enter the living room, Kendra serve you a glass of whiskey each.

" I'll go tell Councilman Hearthmount we are ready. Make yourself at home, i won't be long."

Othniel
2015-04-21, 08:56 PM
Herbert gratefully accepts the glass and takes a sip. "Ahh, much better!" As Kendra leaves the room, Herbert wanders around, curiously inspecting the decor and especially the books.

Rolling perception to see what kinds of things the Professor was interested in or had on display: [roll0]

Diachronos
2015-04-21, 08:58 PM
At the manor, Tyvorhan waits back from the others, in the corner closest to the door in case things turn ugly. She declines the drink, unsure of if she should trust anyone just yet.

kornwiser
2015-04-21, 10:04 PM
Sonja sniffed the beverage before taking a cautionary sip. She had only had alcohol once before, in a drink of celebration on the eve of her departure. The whiskey burned her throat the same way the moonwine of Desna had done, but had a harsher, smokier bite. She quite liked it.

She gazed around at the three who accompanied her, trying to get a sense of who they were, and why the professor had specifically chosen the four of them to be named in his will. The dark elf in particular drew her eye, though she tried to avoid staring.

I guess after having a half-orc orphan as a friend, a drow isn't too far off. Still, I've never seen one in person before!

Diachronos
2015-04-21, 10:14 PM
Tyvorhan keeps an eye on the half-orc, her eyes glowing slightly from the darkness under her hood.

kornwiser
2015-04-21, 10:22 PM
Seeing the drow notice her watching, Sonja blushed and looked down. She was being rude. She stood up from the table and walked over, holding out a hand in greeting.

"Well met, though I wish it were under happier circumstances. I am Sonja."

Juukyuu
2015-04-22, 08:02 AM
Following Kendra to the late professor's house, John accepted the glass she offered him but didn't drank from it yet. As Herbert, John took the liberty to look around and try to grasp what the professor was like.

Perception: [roll0]
Knowledge Dungeneering: [roll1]
Knowledge Local: [roll2]
Knowledge Religion: [roll3]

Othniel
2015-04-22, 12:01 PM
Herbert glances over at the other man, like him inspecting the room. Realizing the four of them were still unfamiliar with each other, he clears his throat and nods to the others. "I'm Herbert Roche. As I said back there at the cemetery, I did not know Professor Lorrimor well, but he did me a great service years ago. I am puzzled as to my presence here. What about the rest of you?"

Diachronos
2015-04-22, 12:54 PM
She eyes Sonja's hand, though she doesn't reach out to grasp it. "Tyvorhan."

kornwiser
2015-04-22, 04:18 PM
Sonja awkwardly retracted her hand, a bit unnerved at Tyvorhan's hostility.

Well, I had heard the drow aren't the friendliest people. I won't hold it against her.

She turned to face Herbert.

"When I was small, the professor saved my life, and I traveled with him for several months afterwards. He was the closest to a father I've known in my life, but I did not think he felt the same way."

She gazed out the window in the direction of the Restlands. "Perhaps I was wrong."

Skya
2015-04-22, 05:55 PM
There is just too much around for you to stop at one things. At least a hundred books of all sizes of shapes. A whole cabinet of rocks of different origins, another with all sort of exotic-looking preserved insects. Painting depicting scenery from all over the world. And much, much more.

Juukyuu
2015-04-22, 09:02 PM
Taking a quick glance at one of the many book covers in the library, John turns back to face the group.

"The name's John, also like you heard at the cimetary, I've only spoke with the professor face to face for one night. We did exchange some letters about theories and research for a while but thats it. I've never considered myself being enough of a friend for being part of a will..."

That being said, John finally takes a sip of the whiskey. It was rather effective at rafreshing the heavy atmosphere thatwas filling the room.

Skya
2015-04-22, 10:02 PM
A few moments later, Kendra returns with Councilman Hearthmount. He nod at each of you, but say nothing more while he sit down, holding a scroll tube. It's easy to see that he doesn’t completely approve of strangers being involved in local matters. Kendra invite you all to sit down at the table.

He put his glasses and clear is throat before starting.

" Here we have the last will of Professor Petros Lorrimor. As you can see, the seal is still unbroken."

He take a few second to show you the scroll tube so you can all see the intact seal. When every one as look at it, he break the wax and open it. As he does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table. Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read.

I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year 4710.

Once the will is read, Councilman Vashian looks to Kendra, who thanks him and dismisses him. Once he is gone, Kendra look at all of you.

"Thank you again for being here. I know these two favors must sound weird...but knowing my father, he probably have a good reason for all this. You can remain here for now, there is plenty of room available. Free of charge, of course. I'll let you discuss about that while i go fetch the chest containing the books the will mentioned."

She stand up and walk away. You can hear her walking up the stair to the second floor.

Othniel
2015-04-22, 11:02 PM
Herbert stares after Kendra as she leaves the room. "Four hundred platinum to deliver a trunk of books?" He shakes his head and whistles softly. "Must be some mighty dangerous books to warrant that kind of money." He walks back over to the bookcase and absently scans over a few titles. "And a month of helping out Miss Lorrimor here? That doesn't sound so bad. She seems agreeable company, particularly compared to some of the locals outside. I used to help my father around the farm back home when I was a young man; should be able to fix this place up a bit, if that's what it needs."

Juukyuu
2015-04-23, 08:41 AM
Taking everything in, after one minute or two, John speaks up him mind.

''Well, This wasn't what I was prepared to hear. I wasn't even prepared to be in him will at the first place anyway. If it came to the ears of low life like the one we saw at the graveyard that the professor had such powerful tomes concerning evil, no wonder he would be called a necromancer or something like it. Kendra seems like a good girl but i'm rather certain that other villagers would share the same ideas and might want to let their actions speak what they think... Also, for such a sum, I would gladly stay and help for more than one month. Its just housekeeping and a delivery anyway.''

That being said, John gets up and approach a window to look outside. He has a bad feeling for Kendra, seeing how the professor reputation wasn't the best around.

Diachronos
2015-04-23, 12:30 PM
Tyvorhan reaches under her hood and pulls out what appears to be a bright red spider-shaped hairclip. "One last job, it seems. Though I can't help wondering if there's more to his requests than the will suggested."

kornwiser
2015-04-23, 01:27 PM
Sonja looks over at Tyvorhan. "Perhaps. It is strange that he'd call us here from the four corners of the globe just to act as couriers, even if these books are as dangerous as he says."

She frowns. "Were it any other circumstances, I would not stay another day in this dreary place. But Miss Kendra does seem quite distraught, and rather unpopular to boot. I don't mind staying to help her adjust."

Skya
2015-04-23, 07:01 PM
After a few minutes Kendra come back from the second floor with a big chest.

The chest itself is a relatively small object of oak and iron. Kendra, nervous about the contents, shake while taking the key on the table. It take her a few try, but she finaly open it.

Within are several old tomes and one relatively new one. The newest tome sits on the top and bears the phrase “Read me now!” scratched into the leather cover. Kendra gasp seeing it.

" I...I...This is my father journal! I...I think i'll let you four look what this is all about. I had a long day. I'll go prepare your rooms upstairs and then go to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

Kendra stand up and quickly leave the room, fighting back her tears. This was obviously a lot to handle for her, so soon after her father's death.

The Professor’s Journal.

Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye.

On Verified Madness.

Serving Your Hunger.

The Umbral Leaves.

Juukyuu
2015-04-23, 10:47 PM
John makes a tender smile to Kendra as she leaves the room. Looking inside the chest, he quickly grabs the late professor's journal. Making sure that Kendra was far enough from the group, John looks for the most rescent inscription and reads it out loud.

Othniel
2015-04-24, 12:41 AM
Herbert eyes the other book titles as they are laid out upon the table but does not touch them. He figured it was better to let the other man handle them. I'm not superstitious, but...better safe than sorry.

Skya
2015-04-24, 12:12 PM
The majority of the entries are relatively bland, accounting for day-to-day activities in a small town. The professor has circled several entries in the book with red ink, though. The final entry, dated 17 days ago, was written on the same day the Professor’s body was found.

http://i.imgur.com/hwfD7Qm.png?1

Othniel
2015-04-24, 03:13 PM
As John finishes reading the journal aloud, Herbert curses, and then mostly to himself, "Oh, Lorrimor...what did you get mixed up in?" He looks at the others, waiting for realization to dawn. "You must realize this probably means the Professor did not simply die of old age."

Diachronos
2015-04-24, 03:20 PM
"Die of old age? That can actually happen?"

kornwiser
2015-04-24, 03:33 PM
"Come to think of it, I never asked what Professor died of. I suppose I just assumed."

She looks up at the other three, her sadness beginning to turn to anger as the realization comes to her. She's nearly yelling by the time she's finished speaking.

"He knew, didn't he? 'Should the worst come to pass?' He knew he might be killed. That's why he left this journal here, right? So that the people he trusted the most would find it and finish what he started. So that we would come here and avenge his death!"

Diachronos
2015-04-24, 04:01 PM
Tyvorhan looks at the other books in the chest. "Well, if these are related to what he was researching, he is tampering with rather dangerous powers. And it seems he planned for us to finish what he started in the event that he perished."

kornwiser
2015-04-25, 08:26 PM
"And I plan on doing just that. What about the rest of you?"

She looks at the other three, her resolve set in stone. Forgive me, my Lady Desna. I feel I'll be forsaking the open road for some time.

Juukyuu
2015-04-25, 10:02 PM
Closing the journal, John takes a moment to understand everything that he just read.

''So, if I understand this right, we are currently facing a cult of necromancers called the whispering way that are trying to do some kind of experiment to become immortal by bringing evil that could come to harm an entire town... What did Lorrimor set his foor into in the last ten years!'' Still looking at the closed journal, John takes a short pause. Looking back up at the rest of the group are starting to endevor to avenge the professor. ''Well, if we are brave enought to face a cult of evil like this, we should get ready for anything.''

Opening the journal once again, he looks at some extra details.

''First, we need to know what or where is this Harrowstone, what stories and rumor is floating about it. Looking at the inscription 18 days ago, it looks like a prison, probably abandoned. We also need someone to get the list the professor was talking about at the church of Pharasma. Finally, we might have to go and desecrate a crypt, false crypt. It look like its our best way to get equipment for fighting against what looked like ghosts. Anyone would also take a quick look in the other four books, that might lead us to anything useful. Quick glance only, we don't have two weeks to spare if we have to move as fast as the doctor was saying. We are, 17 days late after all. What does everyone think about all this?''

John finally takes a break to take his breath back.

Othniel
2015-04-25, 10:55 PM
"Necromancers. Erastil blast it all, I had hoped I was done with undead!" Herbert throws back the last of his drink and sets the glass down upon the table none too gently. "I hate undead," he states emphatically, staring at John. "You might as well know now, I suppose," he adds, his tone softening. "Not that it's anything to be ashamed of, mind you. Just disquiets people sometimes. My parents were undead hunters before I was born. Killed a few vampires, and that sort of thing." Herbert looks over at the other two in the room, continuing, "That's why I'm here, I suppose. To pay my debt to the Professor. Years ago, my parents were killed by a vampire. Revenge for killing his kind, I suppose. I found Professor Lorrimor in Absalom, and he gave me some information that helped me track down and kill the vampire...with help, of course. Told me he'd collect on the favor one day. I suppose this is it." As Herbert speaks, he picks up the copy of Serving Your Hunger and pages through it. "I know Necril, if that may be of use to us. Dad taught me that, though Mom was against it." Finally, the man pats one of his pockets gently. "Got some...tools...that might be helpful popping open that crypt as well. Come in handy chasing down criminals, you know," he adds with a grin.

kornwiser
2015-04-26, 08:59 PM
Sonja gives a fierce grin, reflexively tensing her knuckles. Her fierce whirlwind of emotions was beginning to settle into a firm determination. "Glad we all seem to be on board. 'Sides from being green, I'm not much of a people person, so I don't think I'll be too popular around here. But I can tell you that I'm pretty good at killing things, and Herbert, I share your feelings on the undead. I'll do whatever it takes to avenge the Professor's death."

Juukyuu
2015-04-27, 06:53 PM
Taking a minute or two while his new companions speak their minds, John takes a leading tone.

''I think that it would be wise to gather as much information as possible before doing anything rash. Sonja, I don't want to be rude but as you pointed out, for now it might be wise to stay here. You could ask Kendra about the rumors and the prison Harrowstone. Anyone could take this appointment but we need someone to go to the church of Pharasma for the list the professor was talking about. Herbert, you should get your tools ready and maybe do some scoutine for the crypt. Anyway, for now I think it should be better to get a good night of sleep, i'll take a book and read it for anything that might come in handy in understanding what is going on. If anyone wants to do the same, feel free to do so.''

That being said, John puts the journal back in the chest and takes the Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye. He wait patiently for anyone to speak their minds and then leaves for the night, reading the manual before going to sleep.

Skya
2015-04-27, 07:43 PM
( If you have anything to say before going to bed you can)

As you open the books, you notice that in all of them there is a small piece of paper with the handwritting of the Professor: "Deliver to Montagnie Crowl, professor of antiquities at Lepidstadt University."

*Naturaly, reading books this big take more than a few hous, but i'll post a small description of them as you can quickly skim through them to know what they are about.*

The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft. The key is nowhere to be found.

You can't open it, but you notice a small piece of paper coming out of it. Pulling it softly it came out. The note, in the same handwritting as the other, is a diffetent message: Deliver to Embreth Daramid, judge at the Lepidstadt Courthouse. Please be discreet. (Also, there is indication on how to get to the judge house.)

This jet-black book is a treatise on aberrations and other entities found on Golarion that possess remote ties to the Dark Tapestry, the name given to the dark places between the stars in the night sky.

This text is a copy of one of several unholy books sacred to the goddess Urgathoa (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Urgathoa). Lorrimor’s notations liberally sprinkle the margins.

This lexicon is a translation into Common of the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Zon-Kuthon).

After talking for a while about all they learned during and discussing what to do next, Herbert, John, Sonja and Tyvorhan went to bed one by one. Upstairs, they found four rooms with light candles and beds ready for them.

With the night to think about all this new information, some of you remember certain event or link some pieces of information that made you realise different things.

Sorry, nothing for you :smallfrown:

Harrowstone:
Harrowstone is a ruined prison— partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

Harrowstone:
Harrowstone is a ruined prison— partially destroyed by a fire in 4661, the building has stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro was founded at the same time as a place where guards and their families could live and that would produce food and other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but left most of the stone structure above relatively intact. The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on the riverbank just outside of town.

Most of the hardened criminals sent to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was, in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately prior to the conflagration. It was only through the selfsacrifice of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

The Whispering Way:
The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.

Harrowstone:

The Whispering Way:
The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

After a good night of rest, the group wake up in the Lorrimor mansion. When you get to the main floor, you can hear noise coming from the kitchen, where you see Kendra busy preparing breakfast. She seem in a better state than she was the day before.

Diachronos
2015-04-27, 07:53 PM
Tyvorhan keeps her hood pulled up as she walks through the halls, and she makes a point of avoiding walking near the windows whenever possible. Despite the time she'd spent on the surface, her eyes had never adjusted to sunlight, and it still blinded her much more often than she cared for. She peeks briefly into the kitchen, but heads off to the study rather than sticking around.

Othniel
2015-04-28, 01:25 AM
Herbert wakes refreshed, but troubled. He'd spent the last hour or so before bed going over what he remembered about Harrowstone and The Whispering Way. The latter in particular had given him a nightmare involving necromancers operating out of the basement of the prison, creeping out at night to dig up graves in the cemetery. He shakes these thoughts away as he dresses and as he comes down the stairs, spots Kendra in the kitchen. Popping his head in, he wishes her a good morning, and makes his way toward the study the group had occupied the day before. Noticing Tyvorhan, he nods to her and takes a seat, waiting for the others to make their appearance.

Skya
2015-04-29, 06:35 AM
Kendra walk into the study with a plate of bread, a bowl of grape-jam and some knifes on a tray. She put it in the middle of the table and sti down.

" I hope you two slept well. Have you decided if the four of you will stay? I don't want to force you to do anything, but i certainly wouldnt mind the compagny. Knowing there is peoples i can trust in the house is calming, and i finaly manage to have a real night of rest."

Othniel
2015-04-29, 08:42 AM
"I will stay, Kendra," Herbert confirms. "For both of your father's requests." He pauses for a moment before continuing, his expression quite serious, "We should wait until the others are awake, but there are a few things you should probably know."

Juukyuu
2015-04-29, 08:50 AM
As Kendra finishes her sentence, John, a book under the arm, enters the room.

''I'm happy to hear that you could finally rest Kendra. We have to thank you for offering such hospitality.'' Noding to his two new companions in the room, John takes the Manual of the Order of the Palatine Eye he had with him and show hey the lock. ''Any idea where your father could have kept the key to this book? And as Herbert just told you, there is things we should talk about when Sonja wakes up.''

That being said, John waits Kendra's answers before heading to the plate for a piece of the bread.

Diachronos
2015-04-29, 11:39 AM
Tyvorhan looks at the lock on the book that John was carrying. "If I had the right tools, we wouldn't even need the key."

Skya
2015-04-29, 11:43 AM
Kendra answer simply yo John's question.

" No, sorry. My father didnt share much of his research with me."

Othniel
2015-04-29, 10:17 PM
Herbert nods. "The right tools, yes. I...ah...do have some tools for picking locks, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to dive into a lock on such a book. It may be warded - granted, that it something a detect magic spell would probably decipher - but on top of that, I don't want to break the lock. I can give it a try if you wish though."

kornwiser
2015-04-30, 02:44 AM
Sonja walks downstairs after hearing the chatter of voices, a bit embarrassed to be the last one awake.

"Good morning, all. Apologies for sleeping in."

She spies the plate of bread and jam, and helps herself to a piece, sitting down at the table. "So what's our first move?"

Skya
2015-04-30, 06:10 AM
Kendra smile kindly to Sonja.

" Don't worry dear, we havent been awake for long. Herbert, you said you were waiting for the four of you to be there to tell me about something..."

Kendra look at all her guest, curious about what they learned last night.

Othniel
2015-04-30, 09:32 PM
"Kendra, we took a look at the books and your father's journal last night." Herbert hesitates. "You, ah, may want to sit down." The man waits for Kendra to do as she pleases before continuing. "It looks like your father was concerned about the Whispering Way, a group of necromancers seemingly searching for a way to gain eternal life. Your father believed the Whispering Way was interested in old Harrowstone Prison, which I could tell you all a bit more about if you wish, and decided to investigate the prison himself. He seems to have run into ghosts...or something...there that he was unprepared for. He came back again after searching out a false crypt in the Restlands where the Temple of Pharasma kept some tools and other things for combating ghosts and...other unsavory entities." Herbert pauses again for breath, and to let the information sink in. "The last entry in his journal was seventeen - no, eighteen now - days ago. Just prior to his death, it seems."

Herbert looks around at the others. "I believe your father was murdered by the Whispering Way, but that is speculation at this point. Last night we discussed things, and I think all of us have agreed that we wish to get to the bottom of your father's death. More than that, I would see what the Whispering Way is interested in, and perhaps attempt to foil their plans, if possible." Falling silent, he waits for any of the others or Kendra to speak up.

Diachronos
2015-04-30, 10:12 PM
Tyvorhan looks at the locked tome again, then at Herbert. "You said that you had tools for picking locks, right? Can I borrow them for a bit?"

Othniel
2015-04-30, 10:22 PM
"Certainly," Herbert responds. He withdraws his tools from his pocket and hands the folded leather over to Tyvorhan.

Diachronos
2015-04-30, 10:28 PM
Tyvorhan sets to opening the lock on the book.

Taking 20 if possible.
If not, Disable Device: [roll0]

Skya
2015-05-01, 05:34 AM
Even with all her effort, the drow is not able to open the lock.

Kendra stare at the table for a good moment.

"...i don't know why, but that doesnt surprise me....at all. My father....he always knack for getting into trouble. And his death... crushed by a statue falling from the roof. He was more carefull that that."

Juukyuu
2015-05-01, 09:11 AM
Surprised with Kendra's mention of the professor's death, John couldn't help but wonder. Looking at Tyvorhan working on the lock, he spoke his mind.

''I don't want to sound like the supersticious one but I can't see a statue falling from a roof randomly after your late father was rushing to find answers about a necromancer cult plausible. If I were to bet my gold on this, I would say that someone or something is behind this. Anyway, we should finish out breakfeast and I would go out to the graveyard for some scouting.''

John Bites once again in his jammed bread.

kornwiser
2015-05-01, 04:49 PM
Sonja absentmindedly chows down on another piece of toast, finishing it in two big bites that scatter some crumbs on the table.

"Maybe some of us should check out the prison to see if we can find any clues. A lot probably has washed away in the 17 days since his murder, but there might still be something."

Diachronos
2015-05-01, 05:58 PM
Tyvorhan lets out a small sigh before putting the tools away. The lock had bested her, it seemed. "I don't think heading for the prison is the best idea right now. Professor Lorrimor evidently wasn't prepared enough for what he encountered there, and if we're going to discern what really happened to him we'd be better off going in knowing what we're getting ourselves into."

Othniel
2015-05-01, 06:07 PM
"Not directly for the prison, no," Herbert adds. "But eventually. For now, we should investigate in town for leads on the professor's death, and perhaps see about getting into that crypt."

kornwiser
2015-05-01, 08:04 PM
Sonja can't help letting a small hint of disappointment show in her voice. "Hmm, alright then. I'm less experienced in this kind of thing than you three, it seems."

She grabs a napkin, realizing the mess she's made, and starts wiping up the crumbs around her as she continues to speak.

"But if we are gonna be going around town searching for info, Ty and I should each pair up with one of you two, or we should all stick together. I don't think that the townsfolk here'd be too partial to giving up info to non-humans out on their own."

Skya
2015-05-02, 09:24 AM
Kendra was staring at the table since Herbert told her about her father possible murder. She talked without rising her eyes.

" Don't worry too much about the townfolks. They don't like stranger, but they won't hurt you."

Kendra take a small pause, then finaly raisd her head slowly to look at Sonja and Tyvorhan.

"But you are right, you probably should stay all together. Just to be safe."

She rub her eyes and stand up.

"I'll let you do your investigation. If you need anything thing, please ask me. I'll probably be here all day."

Othniel
2015-05-04, 01:36 AM
"Thank you, Kendra," Herbert replies. "I know this is hard on you, and we will do our best to make your safety a priority." He turns to the others and continues, "Now then, perhaps we should investigate the scene of the crime?" Herbert tries hard to keep the excitement out of his voice. This was what he lived for: Investigating crimes, running down leads, and chasing his quarry. Human enemies he could deal with, and would do so with relish. Undead were another thing entirely, notwithstanding his family history. He suspected the necromantic group straddled a line between the two.

Juukyuu
2015-05-04, 09:18 PM
Finishing his piece of bread with one big gulp, John wanted to start things moving.

''All right, Tyvorhan, You look good with those tools, you should go with Herbert look around in the graveyard for that hidden crypt and anything that could stop us from going in. Sonja, You are with me. We will ask around for anything relating the fire of the prison and the prison itself. We should get back here before sundown for supper and exchange any informations we can gather. Kendra, You are free to join us if you find the place too lonely, we don't mind at all.''

That being said, John gets back up and awaits his companion's reactions.

kornwiser
2015-05-04, 09:29 PM
Sonja looks up at Kendra as she goes. "Thank you for your hospitality. If there's anything we can do for you, just ask."

She then turns to John as he lays out the plan, draining a cup of water as everyone finishes up their breakfast.

"Sounds good to me. I'll leave my axe here, I doubt I'll need it and it will only freak the villagers out. But I've got my starknife just in case a dangerous situation emerges."

Othniel
2015-05-04, 09:44 PM
Herbert nods in agreement with John. "Very well, but before Tyvhoran and I head to the graveyard, we should purchase some flowers. Not only can we place them at the Professor's grave, it will also give us a reason to be in the cemetery in case someone wonders what we are doing loitering around the crypts." The man pauses to take a rather large bite from his neglected breakfast. "Do we know the exact location of the false crypt, or some way to identify it?"

kornwiser
2015-05-04, 10:22 PM
"I think there was a line in the Professor's journal about that. Something about a Black Road and a Sleeping Path?"

Diachronos
2015-05-05, 04:06 AM
Tyvorhan nods at the idea of checking into the false crypt. "Do you think that we should check with the temple of Pharasma before heading there? From Lorrimor's journal, it sounds as if they may be aware of its location, and they might even be willing to grant us permission to enter."

Juukyuu
2015-05-05, 09:57 AM
John grabs the late professor's journal and, turning the pages to the right dates, answer Herbert.

''In the restlands, at the intersection of the eversleep and the black path. I also agree for the flowers, its a good way to roam freely without acting suspicous. I also agree with Tyvorhan, but like the professor writes, he's not even certain that the current clergy knows about the crypt. You can ask around but we have to be fairly certain that they won't just ask us where it is and prohibit us to look inside when we tell them.''

Skya
2015-05-05, 04:47 PM
Kendra smile kindly to John.

" Thank you, but i didnt got the investigator spark my father had. You seem like a capable crew, so you should be alright without me."

Othniel
2015-05-05, 05:14 PM
"John makes a good point," Herbert adds. "I don't think we should talk to the temple of Pharasma. "They may attempt to dissuade us, by force if they deem it necessary."

kornwiser
2015-05-05, 05:32 PM
Something comes to Sonja's mind suddenly, and she scrambles up from the table with a start.

"Oh, Kendra! Before you go, I should ask: Where, or who, would be the most reliable source for us to find out more about this prison?"

Skya
2015-05-06, 06:21 AM
Kendra think for a moment before answering to Sonja.

" There is a few place you could look at. The town hall have records of what happen in Ravengo through the years, so that could help. The temple of Pharasma has extensive notes on the town’s history too. And there is The Unfurling Scroll, a schoolhouse run by Alendru Ghoroven, that could be usefull. There is always here too, my father had a great collection of book, as you can see. But i don't think i have seen something on Harrowstone in here."

Diachronos
2015-05-06, 10:38 AM
"Fair enough." She rolls up the tools and lays her hand on the bundle. "Should we go there during the day, or at night?"

Othniel
2015-05-06, 05:50 PM
"My gut tells me at night. We should visit the cemetery today and lay flowers at the professor's grave. That will give us an excuse to be in the cemetery, and we can spend the time searching out the location of the crypt. Then we can return tonight and attempt to get in. And perhaps all four of us should go then, in case we run into anything in the cemetery at night? Pays to be cautious, you know." Herbert gestures to the rolled up tools. "You'd better hang onto my tools for a while, Tyvorhan." He looks at her and grins. "Besides, you seem to be comfortable with them."

kornwiser
2015-05-06, 08:30 PM
Sonja bows slightly to Kendra, thinking about the options she had presented.

"Thank you, my lady."

I've no desire to sift through dusty old scrolls looking for scraps of information, but a schoolhouse...

Memories of the kindly priests who had raised and educated her come to mind. She turns back to the group.

"John, how do you feel about speaking to the schoolmaster? He must know much of the town's history."

Diachronos
2015-05-06, 11:02 PM
The drow nods and stows the tools in her bag. "I'd much rather search at night anyway. Fewer people to worry about, plus... well..." She nods toward the patch of sunlight on the floor.

Juukyuu
2015-05-07, 08:05 PM
John bowed to Kendra and turned back to face his companion.

''I think that you could stop by the church and ask about Harrowstone and maybe point about the rumors of the graveyard hidden cache just to see if they hint about knowing anything. After that go ahead and scout the graveyard with the flowers but we will go all four tonight. Me and Sonja are going to the town hall and after that, the schoolmaster. We get back here when finished or before nightfall to share anything we get. Any objections?''

Hoping that his plan was good enought, he finished his glass and got ready to leave.

Skya
2015-05-08, 11:36 AM
The group head out in Ravengro. Before you head out, Kendra give you basic information of what is where in the town.

http://i.imgur.com/dqI9kmU.png?1

A. Town Square
B. The Posting Poles
C. The Laughing Demon (tavern)
D. Ravengro Town Hall
E. Temple of Pharasma
F. Ravengro General Store
G. Ravengro Forge
H. Apothecary
I. Ravengro Jail
J. The Silk Purse (bank, moneylender)
K. The Outward Inn
L. The Unfurling Scroll (schoolhouse)
M(1,2,3,4). Council Member’s Home
N. The Lorrimor Place (Kendra's home)
O. Harrowstone Memorial
P. The Restlands
Q. Vauran Grimburrow's House (Head priest of Pharasma)
R. Harrowstone

(If you want a more detail description of any of these place, you have to go there in game.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sonja and John

With Kendra's indication, it was easy to found the town hall.

In classic small-town style, the people of Ravengro use this all-purpose facility for virtually everything, including council meetings, wedding receptions, and, when it rains, even the annual cook-off.

As you open the door, a small bell ring. A few seconds later, a woman come out of a door on your left side. She stand there, looking at your for a second, than close the door.

"Can i help you?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Herbert and Tyv

The duo have no problem finding back their way to the Restland. It was not difficult to gather some flower on the way.

Behind the Funebrial is a large stretch of moorland reserved for interring Ravengro’s dead. Thanks to the Pharasmin church’s influence in town, Ravengro’s graveyard is large and well
tended.

(You are at the southwest entrance.)http://i.imgur.com/zYaKpg0.png?1

Looking around, you can see a small sign indicating "Ancestor's Walk"

Othniel
2015-05-09, 07:42 PM
Herbert

"The intersection of Eversleep and Black Path, John said." Offering his arm to the woman, and holding the flowers in his free hand, Herbert indicates the path. "Just a couple of mourners here to lay flowers at their friend's grave. Shall we?"

Diachronos
2015-05-10, 08:44 AM
Tyvorhan raises an eyebrow at Herbert when he offers her his arm. Despite her words, there's no malice in her voice when she speaks up. "Have I done something to make you think I need help walking?" Shaking her head, she starts toward Lorrimor's grave.

kornwiser
2015-05-10, 01:59 PM
Sonja steps forward. If she grinned too widely, her tusks would give off the effect of an angry grimace, so she gives a more restrained smile.

How do I approach this? Do I act confident? Do I lie or tell the truth? Better keep it simple, I don't want to explain too much.

"Greetings. We are interested in the history of this town and were wondering if we could take a look at your Records Hall."

Phew. I think I handled that well.

Not sure if I need a diplomacy roll here, but just in case: [roll0]

Othniel
2015-05-10, 03:07 PM
Herbert attempts to hide the grin spreading across his face. "Of course not, my lady. I was simply thinking we should look the part," he calls after her, good-naturedly.

Skya
2015-05-10, 07:26 PM
Sonja and John

The woman take a moment to inspect the two visitors before answering Sonja's question.

" You need the permission of the town council to get acces to the town archive. They should start arriving soon, but i would get my hopes high. They usualy don't give acces to strangers."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Herbert and Tyv

You start walking in the cemetary. Taking the path leading north, the same you took when carrying the Professor's coffin. You notice the path is called " The Dreamwake". Arriving at the next intersection, you turn right on " The Eversleep". Knowing you are on the right path, you follow it. You soon pass in front of the Professor's grave.

(I make a stop here, in case you want to do something when at the Professor's grave.)

http://i.imgur.com/UJ3xSLT.png?1

Juukyuu
2015-05-11, 10:06 AM
John, Taking a moment to examinate the women in front of him, replied.

''I know that we are stranger to everyone here but we are inquiring instead of the late professor Lorrimor's daughter. Knowing that she is sadden with the burrial of her father yesturday, we came in her stead following the late man's last will. If we can, we would like her to rest instead of worrying about those details.''

John hoped that his explanation of the situation was enough to get the grace of the town hall personnel.

Diachronos
2015-05-11, 12:30 PM
Tyvorhan takes a quick look around the intersection as they pass through, keeping an eye out for a sign of the false crypt.

[roll0]

Othniel
2015-05-11, 01:12 PM
Herbert

The man pauses in front of the Professor's newly-sealed grave to lay down the flowers they'd picked up earlier. "So long, Lorrimor," he whispers, "You did right by me; now I-we will do right by you and Kendra." Standing, he walks quickly to catch up with Tyvorhan, looking around as she does for signs of their target.

Perception: 1d20+5

Argh, stupid typo. Again:

Perception: 1d20+5

Skya
2015-05-11, 04:56 PM
Sonja and Herbert

The woman raise an eyebrow.

" Ok..... You still need the authorisation of the council, thought. Bring the will so they can see what the professor ask you to search, and maybe they will allow you to search the archives."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Herbert and Tyv

As you look around, you see a few other people: a gardener, another couple, and a person alone.

You continue your way until you come across a sign saying " The Black Path", indicating another path leading south.

Right in front of the Black Path is a large crypt. The crypt itself is a freestanding granite mausoleum, the roof of which is decorated with a pair of leering gargoyle statues. A single stone door with a rustylooking lock sits in the mausoleum’s south facade.

kornwiser
2015-05-12, 12:53 PM
Sonja grabs John's arm and pulls him over to the side.

"What should we do? Somehow I doubt this town's leadership will allow us to look through their records for the purposes of 'investigating a mysterious cult of necromancers.'"

Othniel
2015-05-12, 11:28 PM
"Well, I think we found it," the man says to Tyvorhan. "Look may or may not be pickable, and if not...well, there's always brute force as a last resort. Would be a shame to make noise and draw attention though."

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 12:40 AM
Tyvorhan looks uneasily over at the others in the graveyard before turning back to Herbert. "Since we're here, should we try getting inside now? Or should we wait until nightfall?"

Juukyuu
2015-05-13, 08:53 PM
Nodding his head at the women, John simply follows after her.

''I understand miss, the last will of the professor was for us to hear but isn't ours. I will see what I can do and will plead our case to the council if necessary.'' Turning back to Sonja and taking some steps back after excusing himself to the receptionist... ''I think that I just busted our chance here but as you say, I don't think that they are willing to help anyway.'' As he finishes his sentence, John heads back to the women. ''When will the council be able to hear us? How much time do we have to put together our case?''

John hoped that the answer wasn't too complicated so he could get out of here and head to the schoolmaster...

Othniel
2015-05-13, 08:58 PM
"I think we should probably wait until nightfall and come back with the others." Herbert scratches his beard thoughtfully before continuing. "Two strangers loitering around a grave that isn't their friend's looks mighty suspicious, I should think. If we come back at night, hopefully the cemetery will be deserted. The townsfolk 'round here seem a bit on the superstitious side, so they probably don't visit after sundown, particularly with the Professor at rest here. Remember how they accused him of being a necromancer? I'll bet they keep away.

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 09:11 PM
"Good point. Besides, I'd like to be able to work without the damned sun in my eyes..."

Skya
2015-05-13, 09:19 PM
Sonja and John

As the woman is about to answer, the door behind you open violently. A villager run in and stop, out of breath.

"There is....something happened....the....Harrowstone Memorial....desecrated...."

The man fall to his knees, trying to catch his breath.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hebert and Tyv

(Are you going somewhere else?)

Othniel
2015-05-13, 09:24 PM
Herbert nods as Tyvorhan speaks. "I'm sorry; I didn't realize you were light-sensetive. When we do come back, you'll probably see better than the rest of us combined." He smiles apologetically at the woman. "C'mon; let's go find John and Sonja."

I figured we'd head to where we last knew the others were going and see if we can catch up to them.

Diachronos
2015-05-13, 09:30 PM
Agreed, we'd likely head back to the others.

Tyvorhan pulls her hood down. "You aren't very familiar with my kind, then. A few of us have eyes that are more adjusted to the sun than to darkness, but I'm not among them." She reaches into her hood and pulls out her hairclip, which seems to jump to life in her hand.

kornwiser
2015-05-13, 10:06 PM
Sonja swirls around, her hand instinctively going to the starknife on her belt. She takes a moment to process the man's words.

Harrowstone Memorial...that's the name of the prison. Desecrated...Does this have something to do with the Professor?

Her eyes flit back and forth between the man and John, looking to him for a cue on how to proceed.

Juukyuu
2015-05-14, 01:42 PM
John quickly approach the tired man and offer him his waterskin. Showing compassion right now could help them leaving a better impression with the townfolk. Also, having someone on their side, even slightly, wouldn't hurt at the moment. Giving a few moments to the man, john calmly ask him.

''What do you mean by desecrated exactly...''

He quickly glance at the women at the front desk for any signs of reaction.

Skya
2015-05-14, 04:34 PM
John and Sonja

The man drink a bit, than explain.

" Blood. Someone put blood on it, a symbole or something. I don't know."

The woman didnt say anything, but seem shocked by the situation.

----------------------------

Herbert and Tyv

You leave the Restlands, walking toward town.

(It will take you a few moments, wait for my call. You can continu to talk while walking.)

kornwiser
2015-05-14, 04:53 PM
Symbols in blood? Come to think of it, the professor mentioned something about symbols in his journal. This must be connected somehow.

She kneels down next to John to speak to the man, forgetting her social restraint for a moment and clapping a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, sir. We're friends of the late Professor Lorrimor, and we'll get to the bottom of this. How do we get to the memorial from here?"

Othniel
2015-05-14, 05:46 PM
As they walk, Herbert turns to Tyvorhan, but keeps his voice down so as not to be heard by others. "I wonder if John and Sonja are having any luck."

Diachronos
2015-05-14, 06:13 PM
"Doubtful, if the group from last night is an indication of this town's normal attitude..."

Skya
2015-05-15, 11:42 AM
Sonja and John

Surprisingly, it's not the man who answer, it's the woman who have been silence since the man barged in.

" Follow the road to you left when you exit. After the bridge, take the road to your right. Once you get to the river, do not cross it. Follow the bank to your left. I'll warn the council member when they get here."

--------------------------------------------------------

Herbert and Tyv

( For simplicity sake, you can meet Sonja and John as soon as they exit the Town Hall)

Juukyuu
2015-05-15, 12:24 PM
John gives the man some extra time before taking his mostly empty waterskin back. He then turns to the receptionist and tells her as he stands up...

''We will go right away, thank you for the indications. You can tell the council that they will meet us there or on the road back here. Sonja, lets get the others and head there as fast as we can.''

John gets up and passes the door. Getting face to face with Herbert and Tyv, he quickly tells them what happened and gets ready to follow the indications that the women gave them.

Othniel
2015-05-15, 12:39 PM
"Just as well," Herbert replies, keeping his voice down. "We'll have to head back where Tyvorhan and I were after dark."

Diachronos
2015-05-15, 01:06 PM
Tyvorhan tilts her head at the revelation of the monument's desecration. "Sounds like it may be a ritual of sorts, or possibly a warning. At least, that's what it usually was when something like this happened in the Darklands."

Skya
2015-05-15, 03:10 PM
Reunite once again, the group head to the Harrowstone Memorial.

Ravengro’s most distinctive landmark is a 25-foot-tall, moss-covered stone statue that overlooks the river. The statue depicts a proud, muscular human man dressed in leathers and wielding a truncheon. A total of 25 names are chiseled into the statue’s stone base.

The man featured here was the Warden at the time the prison burned down. The names carved in the memorial are the name of all the guards who lost their life in the fire, staying there to the end to prevent the prisoniers to escape.

On the statue's base, a big " V " is inscribed in blood. There is some blood around the memorial, as well as on the statue itself, like if someone was throwing blood at it.

2 villagers are there as well. Their eyes are fixed on the shocking scene.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:39 AM
Tyvorhan approaches the monument, though she doesn't get more than 15 feet away from it. Seeing the blood spattered on the ground, she looks around to see if there's a trail leading toward whoever had done this.

Perception check for any sign of where the guy went or came from: [roll0]
Survival if applicable: [roll1]

Skya
2015-05-17, 10:47 AM
You spot some blood drops going toward a nearby bush. Following it, you found in the bush 3 really large rats that were obviously cut open to gather most of their blood. You don't find any traces of where they came from.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 11:08 AM
Tyvorhan picks up one of the rats and turns back to the others. "I think I found out where the blood came from. There's no sign of who did it or where they went, though."

Gathering up the two remaining rats, she brings them over to the group. "Any ideas on how to track down the one who did this? Or if there were any witnesses?"

Othniel
2015-05-17, 12:53 PM
"Yes, hold a moment. Nobody else go toward the monument, or you'll spoil any tracks." Herbert moves swiftly forward, first to the statue, and next to where Tyvorhan found the rats to look for signs of a path leading away.

Take 10 to find and follow tracks if I can. (1 rank + 3 for class skill + 1 for ability mod + 1/2 level (min 1) = 16
If I can't take 10: [roll0]

Skya
2015-05-17, 01:01 PM
You manage to find the footprints of the one you suspect to be the culprid. His tracks are coming from the east, near where Tyv found the rats, and walk around the monument. You follow them leaving the place, following the river bank to the north, but you can't follow them really far, as they join other footprints and dissapear in the frequently used road.

Othniel
2015-05-17, 01:06 PM
Herbert returns to the group looking somewhat frustrated. "The tracks disappear when they hit the road. I'm afraid whoever did this won't be found that way." Standing in front of the statue, he notices the "V" written in blood. "Anyone have an idea what that could mean?"

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 01:20 PM
"A calling sign, I assume. Whoever did this wants the action to be known."

Juukyuu
2015-05-17, 02:02 PM
As Herbert and Tyv look around for any tracks, John search his memory for anything that the sign could represent. When everyone regroup, John calmly ask in a low voice so he wouldn't get heard by the other villagers and ask...

''Anyone saw this sign in one of the books we got from the professor yesturday? I know that we didn't get a lot of reading done but we never know.''

That being said, John looks once againfor anything else they would have missed.

Know Dungeoneering: [roll0]
Know Local: [roll1]
Know Religion: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]

kornwiser
2015-05-17, 02:10 PM
"Well, this statue is of the old prison warden from fifty years ago. I read that yesterday. Apparently the prison burned down then, and a bunch of the guards gave up their lives to make sure none of the prisoners escaped. No idea what the 'V' could mean though."

As she speaks, Sonja also searches the statue from top to bottom to see if there are any clues they missed.

[roll0]

Skya
2015-05-17, 10:29 PM
You remember nothing specific about a " V "

You find nothing new.

Diachronos
2015-05-17, 10:31 PM
Tyvorhan looks over at one of the locals gathered around. "When was this discovered?"

Skya
2015-05-17, 10:35 PM
It take a few second for the man to realise the drow was talking to him.

"euhm...pretty much now. Henry went running to the town hall to tell the Council and the sherrif. You arrived a few minutes after."

Juukyuu
2015-05-17, 10:52 PM
John followed Tyv and talked to the man.

''We came rushing from the town hall after Henry shared what happened. Do you have any idea what could this mean. Any one of you two have seen such a symbol before?.''

John hoped that there might be a link between this and some ancient perturbations in the village, maybe with the necromancer's cult rising.

Skya
2015-05-19, 11:44 AM
(sorry, was sure i had answered that!)

" No, i don't know."

The other villager seem as lost.

" No. Well, that's look like the letter " V "."

kornwiser
2015-05-19, 02:51 PM
Sonja looks up and down the road both ways.

"Hey, Herbert, you said the footprints disappeared at the road, right? Then it's almost certain the culprit headed back into town last night. What if the...n-"

She catches the word necromancers in her throat, remembering the two townsfolk standing there.

"...people...we are looking for are in town?"

Juukyuu
2015-05-19, 07:07 PM
Rubbing his chin, John answers Sonja's silent question while whispering.

''It could be, we should keep an eye out for any symbols resembling that V. In any cases, I don't think that we can get much more if this right now. We either wait for the sherrif or representatives of the townhall or we can see our last contact for today.''

Othniel
2015-05-20, 12:22 AM
Herbert

"Just thinking of appearances, it might do well to talk to the authorities, or at least not be seen leaving just before they get here." He pauses and scratches his beard absentmindedly. "It wouldn't do to cast unwarranted suspicion upon ourselves by acting thus."

Diachronos
2015-05-20, 12:27 AM
"Somehow I get the feeling at least a few of the locals will pin the blame on myself or Sonja regardless." She returns her familiar to its place within her hood, where it settles back into its place as her makeshift hairclip.

"While I agree that this blood mark on the monument may be linked to the group Professor Lorrimor was investigating, I doubt it would do much good to dwell on it with how little we have to go on from the scene. Maybe we should spend the day looking into the events at Harrowstone."

Skya
2015-05-20, 06:27 PM
While you are talking, a man and a woman arrive at the scene, running.

" What happened?"

The 2 villagers already on place walk hastely to him.

" Sherrif Caeller! We found the scene like that a few minutes ago..."

They proceed to explain what they found, and what you did since you arrive here.

A short moment after the sherrif arrived, two other men arrive. They stand near the sherrif but say nothing. You recognize one of them, as he was the one who read the will of the professor the night before.

Juukyuu
2015-05-21, 01:39 PM
Taking the lead, John signaled his companion to stay put while he went to talk to the sheriff. Introducing himself to the men, He lifted his hand in good gesture.

''Hello Sherrif Caeller, My name is John McAdams and these people behind me are my companion of fortune. We came for the late professor's burrial yesturday and, with a series of unforseen actions, heard what hapenned here at the town hall. As your townsfolk just told you, we had our two trackers look around for anything suspicious. For now, all we found were the corpse of the animal whose blood was used to desecrate the monument. We suspect some footprints from who we think is the culprid that came from the east and went on north along the riverbank all the way to more used roads so we can't follow them more than that. Herbert here can show you the footprints I am talking about. If we can be of any assistance in this manner, please, let us know. Also, as you might already know, we aren't from here so any information you might have concerning this event might help us with helping you.

John hoped that he made a good wnough impression with the sherrif and that the man that read the will could coroborate their goodwill.

Diplomacy roll if needed for friendly attitude [roll0]

Othniel
2015-05-21, 11:03 PM
Herbert

The Slayer stands nearby, letting John do the talking. Using niceties as a means for getting his way wasn't really his strong point anyway. He was more accustomed to the criminal element, and being nice usually got you dead. At John's mention of his name, he smiles slightly and inclines his head to the sheriff.

Skya
2015-05-22, 12:22 AM
The sherrif listen to John without saying a word. When John stop talking, he stay silent for a few more seconds, then he simply say:

" ...Ok."

He walk past the group and start walking around the scene, looking at everything.

The man you recognize from the night before approach you.

" I think the sherrif and his deputy can handle it from here. Thank you for the information you found. If we need anything else, we will send someone get you."

You sense by his tone and attitude that he his not hostile, he just want to keep this in the hands of the authorities.

Juukyuu
2015-05-22, 07:51 PM
John wave the sheriff and thank the man from the will.

''If you need anything, don't hesitate to contact us.''

He makes a sign to the rest of the group and as they walk away from the people, John makes sure he wont be heard before saying the rest of his thoughts.

''I'm still going to the schoolmaster, with this symbol, we will have more than one question to ask. Sonja are you still with me? Herbert and Tyv, if you are done, we can meet back at the Lorrimor's house.''

kornwiser
2015-05-22, 08:07 PM
"Aye, John, I'll follow you to the schoolhouse. Perhaps we can get a little more light shed on our situation."

She sighs and relaxes her shoulders a little. "At the very least, it doesn't seem like the townsfolk are jumping down our necks to accuse us of anything, I was a bit worried about that. Perhaps if we show them we're trying to help, they'll eventually be willing to return the favor."

Diachronos
2015-05-22, 08:19 PM
Tyvorhan nods at the plan. "The professor's might have some information on what's happening in Ravengro and Harrowstone that we overlooked last night."

Othniel
2015-05-22, 08:42 PM
Herbert

"Yes, we're done for now," Herbert replies in a low voice once the group is out of earshot from anyone else. "But we'll need to head back to the cemetery at night to open the crypt. Too busy during the day."

Diachronos
2015-05-22, 08:52 PM
The drow nods. "Do you think we should ask around town for information before heading back? There might be something that could help us learn about the professor's research that we'll have an easier time learning from the locals."

Juukyuu
2015-05-24, 02:48 PM
Listening to his colleagues, John gives his opinion to Tyv.

''I think that Kendra might be as knowledgable as any townsfolk on this subject and she's more inclined to answer us. Both of you can head back to the house, i'll stop with Sonja to the schoolhouse and head back after.''

That being said, John waits for his companions answers and, if everyone agrees, heads for the schoolhouse.

Skya
2015-05-24, 09:43 PM
The group walk back through the towncenter and head north to the schoolhouse.

You arrive in front of the medium-sized building. Through the glass, you can see a old man standing up in front of a small group of children, talking. You can't hear what he's saying.

Diachronos
2015-05-26, 01:43 PM
Tyvorhan glances in the window before turning to the others. "Should we wait until he's finished, or go in now?"

Juukyuu
2015-05-26, 08:36 PM
Looking inside, John knew that they wouldn't be welcomed if they just decided to barge in. Turning back to Tyv, he replies.

''I don't think that would be appreciated but i'll just enter and lean somewhere so our presence is known. He should be able to greet us when he choose so.''

That being said, John looks inside once again for somewhere where the old man could see him but that John wouldn't disrupt the class.

Othniel
2015-05-27, 12:47 AM
Herbert

"Best just one of us goes in," The Slayer mentions to the others. "Wouldn't want to alarm the fellow." With that, Herbert leans against the wall of the building and eyes his surroundings passively.

kornwiser
2015-05-27, 10:44 AM
Seeing the professor teaching brings back warm memories of Sonja's childhood, though back then the teachers were many, and the students only numbered one. She can't help but smile. This was the first pleasant thought she'd had since receiving news of the Professor's death.

"Wait, John. I'll go in. Here, take my coat, I'm going to slip in and sit in the back so none of the children notice me."

She slips off her heavy armored coat and hands it to Herbert. It brushes against the starknife hanging on her belt, and she hesitates for a moment.

"Take that, as well. Wouldn't want to alarm the children."

She hands off the starknife, feeling a bit naked without it.

Forgive me, my lady Desna, but I must go without your protection for a moment.

She quietly opens the door and slips inside to sit in the very back, motioning to the schoolmaster to continue speaking if he notices her.

[roll0]

Skya
2015-05-27, 03:21 PM
As you enter the room, the professor stop for a few second, then resume slowly, still looking at you.

One of the kid turn his head toward you. He don't say anything, but his sight stay fixed on you, eyes wide open.

kornwiser
2015-05-27, 03:40 PM
Sonja gives the child a gentle smile, then taps her ear twice before pointing to the teacher, as if to say "Keep listening, class isn't over," before fixing her own attention on the teacher's words. She sits in the same fashion the children are, as if to imply she is just another student.

Nevertheless, she can't help but feel nervous that the child might panic. She tries to get a sense of whether he's frightened of her, or simply curious.

[roll0]

Skya
2015-05-27, 04:11 PM
The kid look both frightened and curious.

After a few seconds, the kid turn back his eyes toward the teacher.

Sonja listen to the class about the mathematics for maybe ten minutes before the teacher send the kids play outside. The old man walk up to Sonja.

"So, you are one of the newcomers in town? I bet you are all the kids will be talking about for the rest of the week. You are probably the first half-orc they see. There is weirder things out there, but it's still an uncommon sight in Ravengo. So, how i can an old man help you?"

kornwiser
2015-05-27, 04:30 PM
Sonja gives him a slight bow of respect, her nervousness dispelled a bit by the old man's kindness.

"My greetings, sir, and my compliments on your lesson. I hope the children weren't too unnerved by my presence. I hadn't realized you had heard of us, though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that we are the talk of the town.

My companions and I are friends of the late Professor Lorrimor, and are looking into some events that have transpired here on his behalf. We were hoping that, as schoolmaster, you might be knowledgeable on certain aspects of this town's history.

My three fellows are waiting outside, perhaps they can help me explain more, if it would be alright with you?"

She hopes her manner doesn't seem too stiff and unnatural.

Skya
2015-05-27, 04:55 PM
" oh well, i have a few minutes while the kids play behind the school, so i'm willing to hear what you and your group have to say."

The old man follow Sonja outside and smile yo the group.

" Greetings."

His eyes stop on Tyv and his smile disapear. This last for a few seconds but looking at the rest of the group he try to chase away the akwardness of this stare.

"How can i help you?"

Juukyuu
2015-05-27, 09:36 PM
John, next to the door, saw the awkwardness when the men saw the dark elf. Trying to get his attention elsewhere, he waves at Tyv to stay where she is as he places himself on the other side of the men. He hoped that, being focused on a human and without Tyv in his vision, he would calm himself. With a big smile, John took his most friendly attitude and voice.

''I couldn't help but hear as you were talking to Sonja here. Like she said, with a group like ours, we probably are the talk of the entire town. But lets talk more serious business. We heard about some stories around here and, being a men of adventures myself, wanted to dig into it. Do you know anything special about the tragic incident at harrowstone or anything regarding the statue in honor of the fallen guards. Any weird facts that most commoners don't know or anyone's honor that would have been tarnished by some other's heroic deeds?''

John didn't want to tell most of what they knew but he hoped that he opened enough roads for an answer. The old men probably didn't know about the blood incident yet and John hoped that he would come up with something.

Skya
2015-05-28, 07:58 AM
" Oh, the dreaded Harrowstone. It was a prison for dangerous criminal. One night about 50 years ago, some prisonners manage to escape and start a riot in the prison, free the other prisonner and trying to overpower the guards to get out. The guard and the warden stood valiantly to prevent their escape. To this day, it isnt know what exactly started the fire, but the guards sacrified themself and died in the fire to keep the criminal from escaping. 23 guards, plus the warden and his wife, died that night. The Harrowstone Memorial was build to honor their sacrifice. I don't know what else i can tell you. The villagers think the ruins of the prison are haunted. It may be true, i never went there myself."

Juukyuu
2015-05-29, 01:37 PM
Scratching his chin, John speaks his thoughts...

''Interesting...This is a bit more that what we have gathered yet.''

Bending down, John looks for some soil. Finding some, he tries his best to draw with his finger the statue and the ''V'' shaped blood that was on it.''

''Does this symbol remind you of anything else?''

Diachronos
2015-05-29, 01:44 PM
"The criminals inside must have been a truly vile crowd if the prison guards were willing to sacrifice themselves to prevent any escapes. Is there anything you could tell us about the prison inmates, or where we might be able to research them?"

Othniel
2015-05-29, 05:45 PM
Herbert

"Known plenty of vile criminals in my time," puts in Herbert. "But never any bad enough to do that to myself to prevent their escape."

Skya
2015-05-29, 06:38 PM
" For a long time, Harrowstone as been one of the prison where dangerous criminal across all Ustalav were send. The worst criminal of the country were kept there, that can probably explain the sacrifice. Maybe there was something else, but that's all i know. I no knowledge on specific prisonners, but maybe the town records contains their name.

As for the symbole...it look like a simple " V ". Are you sure it's a symbole? Maybe the person was trying to write something. Where did you see it?"

Diachronos
2015-05-30, 04:22 PM
Tyv glances over to John. "I was thinking that myself, it's too simple to be a symbol all on its own. More likely it's meant to be part of something bigger." She turns back to the instructor. "It was found written in rat blood on the Harrowstone monument this morning. The sheriff is looking into it now, but I don't know how much he's going to find considering the trail ends just as it starts heading into the town proper."

Juukyuu
2015-05-30, 11:12 PM
John can't help but sigh. It was a long shot but he hoped for something, anything. Following after Tyv, he adds.

Like she said, it was found out not long ago and the culprid is still on the run. I hoped that this kind of symbol, placement or method, was already used by a group of individuals in the past and I hoped to trigger a memory before telling you where we got the information from. I guess this is pretty much the end of the lead we had. If my companions don't have any more questions, I hope that we can gain access to the town records and invistigate further.''

That being said, he suspends his sentence so that anyone could jump in to conclude.

Othniel
2015-05-30, 11:57 PM
Herbert

"Well, if I can't track the culprit, no way some sheriff from some backwater town is going to be able to," Herbert thinks to himself. "Probably the best course of action for now," he says, agreeing with John. "Unless you want to set a watch on the statue in case they come back. Low chance of that, I suspect."

Skya
2015-05-31, 05:45 PM
" On the Memorial you say? There must be a connection... But i don't see anything. Sorry. If you need to do research, i have a library in the school. There is a couple of book that mention Harrowstone if i recall correctly. I could let you use it, at a daily fee."

Juukyuu
2015-06-02, 07:46 AM
Taking a moment to process everything that hapenned in the last hour, John thanked the man before leaving, asking some extra question while gathering his stuff.

''Thank you for your time good sir. How much of a fee are we talking about? And how much books to study?''

John will wait for the mans conclusion before heading back to the Lorrimor's mansion.

Skya
2015-06-02, 08:35 AM
" 10 gold per day. And i have plenty of books, don't worry. I manage to get quite a collection back in my youth."

Othniel
2015-06-03, 03:03 AM
Herbert

"Well, if you need some money, I still have five gold pieces to my name," Herbert states. "As for me...I think I'll head back to the Mansion and see how Kendra is holding up. Oh, and I'll take a look through the library there. Maybe see what I can learn about this Whispering Way." He turns and starts for the exit before pausing to add one last pointed statement, "I'll see you folks tonight."

Party split!
If we need Herbert's 5g for the use of the library, he leaves it with John Tyvorhan. Misread and thought John was staying.

Juukyuu
2015-06-03, 08:47 PM
The moment the schoolmaster askthem for 10 golds, John turns back to the group.

''Well, the day is half done and we are mostly poor after our travels. Could we compromise at 10 gold for the usage of the library until midnight tomorrow. We will gather almost all of our money for the access. We still need to eat you know.''

John grabs his measly 3 golds and hands them to Tyv.

''Since we got here only yesturday, we will use this night to rest as much as we can for tomorrow study.''

Diplomacy if needed: [roll0]

Skya
2015-06-04, 12:25 PM
"Midnight? My shop don't stay open this late. And it's still far from noon, so don't try to scammed an old man. 10 gold for the day."

I assume you started your adventuring day around 8 am. And if you look at what you have done since the start of the day, it should be maybe a bit past 9 am, 10 am top.

kornwiser
2015-06-04, 12:43 PM
Sonja fishes her only two gold pieces out of her pouch and adds them to the pile. There's the last of the gold the temple gave me. Not that I need much to survive.

"That should make ten. Will we be able to ask you any questions about readings we come across?"

Diachronos
2015-06-04, 01:18 PM
Tyvorhan shakes her head and fishes out 10 gold coins. "I've got it covered."

Skya
2015-06-05, 06:15 PM
Sonja and Tyv

"I would prefer if you do not disturb me during the class, but i will be able to help you during break and after class."

He invite Sonja and Tyv to follow him, and lead them into the library, across the classroom.

"I'll come check on you from time to time. Please, do not come into the classroom whil the students are there. I would not want you to...disturb them."

You clearly sence some awkwardness in the last sentence.

--------------------------------------------------

John and Herbert

You walk back to Kendra's house. As you approach the house, you see her outside talking a woman.

Othniel
2015-06-06, 12:16 AM
Herbert

Herbert waves to Kendra and approaches the two women slowly. "Wonder if it's another one of the "friendly" townsfolk," he says to John in a sarcastic tone.

Skya
2015-06-07, 09:27 AM
John and Herbert

Kendra smile back to Herbert. As you arrive near the two woman, she speak to you.

" Herbert, John, let me introduce you to Councilwoman Mirta Straelock."

The woman smile and welcome you.

" Welcome to Ravengro. I understand that you did not receive a polatie welcome until now. I hope you will forgive the townfolks. With everything that happened around here, they grew cautious of outsiders."

------------------------

Sonja and Tyv

Researching will take you [roll0] hours

Juukyuu
2015-06-07, 11:18 AM
As Tyv grabbed her ten gold, John took back his measly three gold and, while putting them back into his pouch, thanked his companion for her initiative. John bowed to the schoolmaster before leaving Tyv and Sonja behind, going back to the mansion. Smiling at Herbert comment, John still hoped that it wasn't someone that was making threats to Kendra. Knowing that the women was part of the town council members calmed him.

''Greetings miss Straelock, it was indeed somewhat of a rough arrival but we are starting to understand what is hapenning around here to understand such extreme cautiousness. If you made all your way here, I ought to ask you if you are aware of what happened to Harrowstone memorial this morning.''

Skya
2015-06-07, 12:46 PM
" Yes, i'm aware of this situation. It is in fact the reason i'm here. Professor Lorimor was an expert on arcana and occult phenomena, so i was wondering if Kendra would know something, as she had study the magic arts too."

"Sadly, as i was saying when you arrive, i havent heard of anything of the sort."

Mirta seem disapointed. Then turn her attention to John and Herbert.

"Thank you Kendra. Now, what are you two up to? And where are your two friends?"

kornwiser
2015-06-07, 01:35 PM
"Thanks for covering the cost, Tyv, I appreciate it. I hope the way that the teacher was looking at you didn't bother you too much."

She scans the shelves for a book with Harrowstone in the title, grabs one, and plops down at a table, opening to a random page near the beginning. She tries to focus on the words on the page, but studying was never her forte and she quickly gets distracted.

"By the way, is Tyv okay, or would you prefer Tyvorhan?"

Not sure what type of Knowledge check this would be (probably either Local or History), but Sonja's only got a bonus to Nature so it's irrelevant. The +2 is for the Harrowstone bonus.

[roll0]

Diachronos
2015-06-07, 06:12 PM
"I'm used to it." She grabs a couple of books and sets her familiar down on the table. "I'm fine with either, really. You, Kendra and the others are probably the only people who've learned my name since Professor Lorrimor."

Check's the same for Local and History, so I'll just roll once.
[roll0]

Othniel
2015-06-08, 12:27 AM
Herbert

"Tyvorhan and Sonja are working on some research at the moment," Herbert explains. "John and I were hoping to avail ourselves of the Professor's library to do some research of our own."

"Thought we'd check on Miss Lorrimor to see how she is holding up as well," he adds.

Skya
2015-06-08, 05:08 PM
Kendra smile and answer.

" I'm ok, thank you. You can go inside and start your research, i'll come inside in a few minutes."

The two woman wait to see if John or Herbert have something to say before continuing their conversation.

( Just gonna wait for Herbert to be sure he have nothing else special to do before skipping ahead with the research)

Othniel
2015-06-08, 11:04 PM
Herbert

"Please let us know if you need anything, Kendra." Taking his leave of the women, Herbert glances at John and heads inside to get to work.

kornwiser
2015-06-09, 02:25 AM
"I see."

Tyvorhan's comment gives Sonja pause. She eyes Tyv's scarlet hairclip for a moment before speaking.

"It must be hard for you, being up here. You know, my mother, she was driven out of her village for not killing me when I was born. I know what it's like to be treated like a monster. But I was lucky to meet the Professor, and other kind people in my life. There are good people in this world, though they can be hard to find."

She turns back to her book, a bit embarrassed at her own sudden openness.

Skya
2015-06-09, 09:03 AM
Research time: 4 hours (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19363459&postcount=181)
Sonja Knowledge History: 18 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19364270&postcount=184)
Sonja Knowledge Local: [roll0]

Tyv Knowledge History: 8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19365402&postcount=185)
Tyv Knowledge Local: [roll1]

Research time: [roll2] hours

Herbert Knowledge Arcana: [roll3]
Herbert Knowledge Religion: [roll4]

John Knowledge Arcana: [roll5]
John Knowledge Religion: [roll6]

Harrowstone was built in 4594. Ravengro was founded at the same time as a place where guards and their families could live and that would produce food and other supplies used by the prison. The fire that killed all of the prisoners and most of the guards destroyed a large portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but left most of the stone structure above relatively intact. The prison’s warden perished in the fire, along with his wife, although no one knows why she was in the prison when the fire occurred. A statue commemorating the warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on the riverbank just outside of town.

Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.

The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers— the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.

Skya
2015-06-11, 06:36 PM
After hours of reading, aided by Kendra or by Alendru, both group research's come to an end.

(bumb)

Diachronos
2015-06-11, 06:40 PM
Tyvorhan closes her book with mild annoyance. "Well, that didn't get us any closer than we were at the start. Although... do you suppose the vandalism on the statue is connected to the people who died in the fire at Harrowstone?"

kornwiser
2015-06-12, 01:07 AM
"It's certainly possible. It can't be a coincidence that this is happening so soon after the Whispering Way was snooping around, either. If the prison is actually haunted, it'd make sense for them to be interested in it, right? Somehow, the fire, the Whispering Way, and the vandalism all have to be connected, and Professor was trying to get to the bottom of it, when they..."

She lets her thoughts settle for a moment before shaking off the chill in her spine.

"We should report back to Herbert and John and talk about our next course of action. I wonder if Kendra's cooked lunch..."

Othniel
2015-06-12, 01:19 AM
Herbert

As Herbert reads, he jots down notes for later reference. As he comes across the references to the Whispering Way, he asks Kendra about them, and in particular about their sign, wondering if she'd seen it anywhere in town or nearby.

Skya
2015-06-12, 06:12 AM
No, Kendra never saw this symbol before.

Diachronos
2015-06-16, 11:02 AM
"Here's hoping the others found something a bit more useful than what we turned up." Her familiar climbs back up her arm and resettles into its usual place as she pulls up her hood.

Othniel
2015-06-20, 11:05 PM
Herbert

As Herbert, John, and Kendra wait for the others to return, Herbert attempts to engage Kendra. "Kendra, I do hope you don't mind my asking, but do you have any plans yet as to what you will do once we have set out to deliver these books? Do you intend to remain here on your own?"