PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun 5e. Question about limits

Suddo
2015-04-18, 07:21 PM
So I am just starting to play Shadowrun 5e and I am having some trouble understanding what some limits are applied to.

For example what does mental limit effect, especially for a decker.

golentan
2015-04-18, 07:54 PM
As I understand, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm learning the system as well, a mental limit would apply to the number of hits you can get on a mental roll, so if your mental limit is 5 (say) and you get 6 hits on a roll not involving persuading someone (social limit) or physical activity (physical limit), and not magical (because magic uses its own limits), it's probably a mental limit situation, and since your mental limit is lower than your number of hits you get 5 hits rather than 6.

Suddo
2015-04-18, 08:12 PM
So I understand how limits work, but where do you find what limit applies to which skills. I don't think it applies to hacking, but then what does it apply to specifically.

golentan
2015-04-18, 08:46 PM
Okay, delving into the matrix rules: If you're hacking with a Cyberdeck, the Cyberdeck's limit (as per the discussion of Equipment Limit on page 47). The cyberdeck's limit is equal to the rating in the appropriate stat (Attack, Sleaze, Data Processing, and Firewall): Living personas have their rules set those equal to other stats, but it seems to work the same way for their matrix actions. Anything that isn't a matrix action using a program or a living persona, that your hacker is doing for himself while submerged, is probably either mental or social, use the appropriate limit. Anything that is a matrix action has the description of what you use for it with the limit in brackets, so Crash Program rolls Cybercombat + Logic using your deck's [Attack] for the limit, and requires 1 Mark on the target, opposed by the target's Intuition + Firewall.

Clearer?