PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Arcane Spells on a Divine Caster in 3.5?

aleucard
2015-04-18, 08:05 PM
To explain my personal situation, I'm making a character that's basically a Sunbro (Praise the sun! \[+]/ ) in a campaign where the Material Plane's in a forced Ice Age and the party is going to be tasked with either ending it or preserving it depending on which side we pick (and have our opponents tailored accordingly). I am playing a Spontaneous Cleric that (due to being allowed to waive certain RP restrictions) is going to take some mixture of Ordained Champion (locked in), Stormlord (because the Sunbro's primary method of smiting the target is to shove lightning in the target's face), Master of Radiance (because of obvious reasons, though this might be cut due to not actually offering all that much in comparison), Radiant Servant (because of obvious reasons, and this lets me do Medic things in a pinch without actually devoting Spells Known to it for the most part), and Prestige Paladin (because of obvious reasons, though this might not be allowed due to cheese). Due to the severe lack of offensive lightning spells on the Cleric list, I'm looking for some way to be able to cast certain Arcane spells as Divine (and no, UMD don't count). My DM's allowing me to talk with a mutual buddy who's also playing about designing a domain, but I'd like to see if some other more official options are available first. After all, nothing's preventing me from doing both if there's multiple spells of one level that I like. Any suggestions for the character itself would be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for answers to the title question. The more official the answer is the better, but he's willing to accept homebrew if it's REALLY good and not cheesy.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: For clarification, my decision to play a Spontaneous Divine Caster of some sort as my base class (in order of preference, Spont Cleric, Mystic, and Favored Soul) is locked in. Also, thus far, my level plan looks like (assuming we get that far) Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 3-5 (depending on how much use the stuff at 4 and 5 end up being)/Stormlord 9 (the capstone is meh and we're working with fractional BAB/Saves)/Radiant Servant 10 (probably not getting all 10 levels, that's Epic, but yeah). Any tweaks you could suggest would be welcome, though again my focus on this topic is for ways to be able to cast Arcane spells that isn't just UMD'ing a wand.

EDIT 2: Also, the campaign this character's going to be for isn't starting for several months. I don't think I need to respec QUITE yet. Oh, yeah, and we're working with 40 Point Buy and rolling for HP (with all results below half+1 defaulting to that), just in case it's relevant.

With a box
2015-04-18, 08:15 PM
To explain my personal situation, I'm making a character that's basically a Sunbro (Praise the sun! \[+]/ ) in a campaign where the Material Plane's in a forced Ice Age and the party is going to be tasked with either ending it or preserving it depending on which side we pick (and have our opponents tailored accordingly). I am playing a Spontaneous Cleric that (due to being allowed to waive certain RP restrictions) is going to take some mixture of Ordained Champion (locked in), Stormlord (because the Sunbro's primary method of smiting the target is to shove lightning in the target's face), Master of Radiance (because of obvious reasons, though this might be cut due to not actually offering all that much in comparison), Radiant Servant (because of obvious reasons, and this lets me do Medic things in a pinch without actually devoting Spells Known to it for the most part), and Prestige Paladin (because of obvious reasons, though this might not be allowed due to cheese). Due to the severe lack of offensive lightning spells on the Cleric list, I'm looking for some way to be able to cast certain Arcane spells as Divine (and no, UMD don't count). My DM's allowing me to talk with a mutual buddy who's also playing about designing a domain, but I'd like to see if some other more official options are available first. After all, nothing's preventing me from doing both if there's multiple spells of one level that I like. Any suggestions for the character itself would be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for answers to the title question. The more official the answer is the better, but he's willing to accept homebrew if it's REALLY good and not cheesy.

Thanks for your help!

Alternative Source Spell (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Alternative_Source_Spell)?
from Dragon #325

Mystral
2015-04-18, 08:21 PM
Spell research is always an option.

Troacctid
2015-04-18, 08:26 PM
Greater anyspell from the Spell domain (Spell Compendium) lets you prepare and cast an arcane spell of 5th level or lower. Probably doesn't work on the spontaneous version of the Cleric, though, since it goes in your domain slot, which you don't have.

A_S
2015-04-18, 08:28 PM
It doesn't really sound like you care about getting spells that specifically count as arcane; you just want to be able to chuck some lightning around, right?

If that's the case, you can look into getting your hands on the Air domain (Chain Lightning; Storm of Vengeance) and/or the Storm domain (Call Lightning). Those can either be starting domains, or you can pick them up with something like Contemplative. If you're worried about the 1/day restriction on domain spells, you can use the spontaneous domain casting ACF from PHB2 to get more access to them.

You can also get something like Energy Substitution and maybe Born of Three Thunders, and just use charged-up lightning versions of spells that normally have a different energy descriptor (you can work with your DM to come up with appropriately badass versions of what it means to cast a lightning version of Flame Strike or whatever).

Ellowryn
2015-04-18, 08:38 PM
Well, best i can tell is to get a bunch of domains. The Air, Storm, and Weather domain's have some lightning spells on them, and im sure there are others but i can't any right now.

Aaaand ninja'd.... :smallannoyed:

nedz
2015-04-18, 09:13 PM
It sounds like you are looking for something like the Customize Domain feat (DR325 p61)

This would allow you to change the spells in one of your domains for others which are appropriate.

Another approach would be to play a fixed list Arcane caster and then bolt on some Cleric domains via Arcane Disciple. Warmage would seem to fit quite well, you would just need to ignore the spells from the other elements.

Or you could always adapt the Shugenga, which has four elemental types, for lightning — but that might be more home-brew than you are looking for.

Rubik
2015-04-18, 09:40 PM
Have you considered taking archivist instead of cleric?

DMVerdandi
2015-04-19, 02:58 AM
You could use the rules for spell research, and add arcane spells onto your cleric's list, OR, use the rebuild option from the PHB 2. I would say rebuilding is the far more intensive and slow method, so I would avoid it.

Instead, like some of the others have said, get one of the better domains for lightning spells (wind,storm).
If you do rebuild, Archivist is an awesome class, and pick up the lost tradition feat and switch all of the casting attributes to intelligence.

nedz
2015-04-19, 03:12 AM
There's a pretty good list of domains here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html), just in case you haven't seen this.

aleucard
2015-04-19, 03:56 PM
With a Box, that might work in Gestalt, but not here. Sorry.

Forrestfire, unless if that lets me use Knowstones or something, I don't see where that lets me actually learn Arcane spells.

Mystral, yeah maybe, but that's a bit cheap for an option. Something a little more directly "Yes, this works" would be nice.

Rubik, I picked Spontaneous specifically so I have to deal with as small a spells-known list as possible. I don't want to be flooded with spells and have to pick and choose which one would fit best. The fact that I don't have to do business with a spellbook is also a plus. I CAN do it, mind, it's just that that don't seem very Sunbro-ish to me.

Thanks for your help! Some of these look pretty interesting, too, albeit in some cases for a different character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-19, 09:17 PM
Take the feat Magical Training in PGtF, which gives you a few 0-level arcane spell slots and a spellbook into which you've scribed several 0-level spells. According to the Rules Compendium, you may learn additional spells and copy them into your spellbook exactly the same way a Wizard does. Spells you learn in such a way are considered to be spells your character knows. Take the feat Versatile Spellcaster in RotD and you can spend two spontaneous spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher, so you can spend those spontaneous cleric slots to cast wizard spells from your spellbook, but they would be as though cast by a Cleric (divine spells, Cleric caster level, Wis-based DC, etc.).

Alternatively you could replace Cleric with Archivist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) and you can learn nearly any spell in the game (community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1023251). You would need to dip Sacred Exorcist to get Turn Undead, though.

aleucard
2015-04-22, 09:44 PM
Alright, time for a new question on this topic (since the previous one isn't getting any replies anymore, though I'm still interested if there's something that has yet to be mentioned). What spells that aren't already on the Cleric list would you recommend for a domain of lightning-element focus? Thus far, the only two big names I am aware of are Lightning Leap and Dalamar's Lightning Lance. Source would be appreciated.