PDA

View Full Version : Deathless Summoner 3.5

cavalieredraghi
2015-04-18, 10:20 PM
The Deathless Summoner, is a being who works for the good of all the positive energy planes. Though due to their summoning of beings similar to the undead, they are often viewed as no less then a Necromancer. Despite being viewed this way, Deathless Summoners work in secret to allow heroes to continue their quests. They themselves often are heroes who have their own goals and quests as well, that they will continue to full fill even in Deathless life. Deathless Summoners mirror a Dread Necromancer in nearly every way, though they channel positive Energy rather then negative.
Abilities:
Charisma determines how powerful a spell a Deathless Summoner can cast, how many spells she can cast per day, and how hard those spells are to resist. Like a sorcerer or wizard, a Deathless Summoner benefits from high Dexterity and Constitution scores.
Race:
Same as Cleric

Alignment:
A Deathless Summoner must be of a Good or Neutral Alignment. if they willing switch to Evil they lose all their abilities, though they canuse their levels to be used as equivalent levels if they were to become Dread Necromancers. IF they unwillingly become evil, they can attempt to gain their abilities back with an Atonement spell. Same can be said for a Dread Necromancer, Their levels can be used to equal a Deathless Summoner, however when they take a level of Deathless summoner they lose their link to the Negative Energy like a Deathless Summoner would lose their link to Positive Energy.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:

A Deathless Summoner is proficient in all simple weapons and 1 martial of their choosing. This must be done at level 1 and can not be changed. A Deathless Summoner is also able to wear light armors but no shields. the Deathless's spells come from a divine source and thus do not incur normal spell failure while wearing proficient armor.

Spellcasting:
A Deathless Summoner, castes from a Divine source, even if they do not worship a god, they are aligned to positive Energy itself. Like a Sorcerer they can caste any spell they know without having to prepare ahead of time. When a Deathless Summoner gains access to a new level of spells they automatically know all the spells of that list. Due to having a small list to choose from they can expand as they level with Advanced learning. To cast a spell, a Deathless summoner must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell’s level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a dread necromancer’s spell is 10 + the spell’s level + her Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, a Deathless Summoner can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is givenBelow. In addition, she receives bonus spells for a high Charisma score (see Table 1–1 on page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).

Hit Dice D6
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disguise, Hide, Diplomancy, Knowledge
(arcana), Knowledge (religion), Profession, and Spellcraft.

class level
BAB
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
+0
+0
+2
Reviving touch, turn Undead
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
+1
+0
+0
+3
Deathless body DR 2
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
+1
+1
+1
+3
Positive Energy Burst (1/day)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Advanced Learning, Mental Bastion +2
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
+2
+1
+1
+4
Holy Aura
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Remove Disease (1/day)
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
+3
+2
+2
+5
Deathless Body DR 4,Summon Familiar
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
+4
+2
+2
+6
Advanced Learning, Positive Energy Burst (2/day) Deathless Soveriegn
-
-
-
-
-

9th
+4
+3
+3
+6
Negative Energy resistance
-
-
-
-
-

10th
+5
+3
+3
+7
Light Fortification 25%
-
-
-
-

11th
+5
+3
+3
+7
Deathless Body DR 8, Remove disease (2/day)
-
-
-
-

12th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Advanced Learning,Restoring touch
-
-
-

13th
+6/+1
+4
+4
+8
Positive Energy Burst 3(day)
-
-
-

14th
+7/+2
+4
+4
+9
Mental Bastion +4
-
-

15th
+7/+2
+5
+5
+9
Lich Body DR 8
-
-

16th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
Advanced Learning Remove disease (3/day)
-

17th
+8/+3
+5
+5
+10
Restoring Touch, Light Fortification 50%
-

18th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
Negative Energy Burst 4/day

19th
+9/+4
+6
+6
+11
Craft Wonderous Item

20th
+10/+5
+6
+6
+12
Advanced Learning Deathless Lich Transformation

Reviving Touch
Positive energy flows through a Deathless Summoner's body. at will but no more then once per round, as a standard action you can touch an ally and heal them 1+1 per four class level, if you do this towards an Undead, you can make a melee touch attack dealing 1d8 +1 per 4 class levels damage.

Turn undead
See Cleric in PHB

Deathless Body
Starting at 2nd level you start to become a Deathless Lich, and thus gain DR 2/ Slashing and Magic. This increases at 7th 11th and 15th.

Positive Energy Burst:
at 3rd level, you can emit, a burst of positive energy, 5ft around you once per day as a standard action. you heal living creatures, and harm undead. the burst heals/damages 1d4 per class level.
a successful will save (Dc10+1/2 CL + Cha) reduced to have. Increase the number of times per at 8th 13th 18th.

Advanced Learning:
at 4th level a Deathless can add other spells to their list, by representing study and past adventure. The spell can be a cleric or Wizard spell of the Necromancy or Conjuration school, but can not be having the Evil trait. It can not be of a level higher then the highest level spell the Deathless already knows. add another spell at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level.

Mental Bastion:
Starting at 4th level, the Deathless Summoner, gains a +2 bonus to saving throws against sleep stunning, paralysis, posion, and Disease. at 14 level +4

Holy Aura:
Beginning at 5th level, the Deathless radiates a 5ft radius holy aura as a free action, that causes all evil aligned or undead creatures in its radius to make a Will Save ( DC 10 + 1/2 CL + Cha) or become shaken. this does by pass an undead's immunity to mind affects. A creature who saves cannot be affected by the aura again for 24 hours.

Remove Disease:
Starting at 6th level a Deathless Summoner can remove 1 disease or Poison from an ally, they touch once per day as a standard action. this increases at
11th and 16th.

Summon Familiar:
The Deathless Summoner at 7th level can obtain an familiar, it is noticably more powerful then a normal Wizard or Sorcerer's but is noticeably good. The Player must choose either a Latern Archon, or Coure Eldrin, or musteval Guardinal.

Deathless Sovereign:
All Deathless servants you create by 8th level, or higher gain +4 enchancement bonus to STR and DEX and 2 additional Hit Die.
In addition when you use Animate Deathless spell, to create Deathless, you can control 4+cha bonus HD per level, (rather then 4 HD per level normally)

Negative Energy Resistance:
At 9th level, a Deathless Summoner gains +4 for saving throws against negative energy effects, such as energy drain, some ability drain, and inflict spells.

Light Fortification:
Starting at 10th level, a Deathless is gains resistance to critical hits of 25% at 17th 50% like Light Fortification armor.

Restoring Touch:

At 12th A Deathless summoner, can restore from negative levels with their touch. Each day they can restore a total number of levels equal to half their CL. This is a swift Action, and at 17th the number of levels that can be restored is not halfed anymore. Doing so is a Standard action.

Craft Wondrous Item:
At 19th level the Deathless gains craft wonderous Item as a bonus feat. This is for them to prepare for their final step in becoming a Deathless Lich.

Deathless Lich Transformation.
When a Deathless Summoner becomes 20th level they transform into a Holy Deathless Lich whose Phylactery is linked to their quest, they will continue to live till they complete the quest given to their Phylactery. They gain the traits of Deathless. The Deathless can even be non-humaniod and still gain this.

1st:
Bless, Detect magic, Detect undead, Hide from undead, Heal light wounds, summon Deathless I*, Undetectable Alignment, Sanctuary.
2nd:
remove Blindness/Deafness, command undead, Gentle Repose, Heal moderate Wounds, spectral hand, Summon Deathless II* Invisibility
3rd:
Daylight, speak with Dead, Halt Undead, Remove Curse, Heal serious wounds, Summon Deathless III* Fly
4th:
Animate Deathless*, Dispel magic, heal Critical wounds, Summon Deathless IV*, Restoration, Death ward, Greater invisibility
5th:
Greater Dispel magic, mass cure light wounds, Undeath to Death, Summon Deathless V*, Atonement,lesser planar binding. Raise Dead,
6th
Create Deathless, Geas/Quest, Heal, Mass heal moderate Wounds, Planar binding.
7th:
Mass heal serious wounds, Control Undead, Holy Word, Greater restoration, regeneration, greater Heal* Resurrection
8th:
Create Greater Deathless, mass heal critical wounds,
9th
Mass Heal* wave of Deathless* True Resurrection

* below, these are good versions of the Dread Necro Spells.

Greater Heal:
As Heal, expect heals 1d12 points per caster level up to 20d12.
Mass heal: targets all creatures expect the caster in area
range 20ft
as greater Heal only above.

Wave of Deathless:
as Plague of Undead only Deathless are created not Undead.
Summon Deathless:
Like Summon Undead, but with the Deathless trait over undead.

Animate Deathless:
Like Animate Undead, only the creature needs an intelligence of at least 6 from before death.

[/SPOILER]

This is my first attempt at Homebrew, and my try to create a positive Energy Dread Necromancer. SO Input and advice for changes would be appreciated thanks.

Rater202
2015-04-18, 10:44 PM
Not seeing to many problems.

Might want to reword a few things, but otherwise looks good.

Emperor Ing
2015-04-19, 12:02 AM
I noticed Mental Bastion at 4th level doesn't specify what your bonus is.

Holy Aura would work better if it specified that the Shaken effect bypassed Undead immunity to mind-affecting to avoid rule ambiguity.

Remove Disease ...eeeh, kinda situational. Useful to have but probably not worth a class ability. Adding the spell to the spell-list would work.

Craft Wondrous Item I feel like this could be earlier in the class. At 19th level, a Craft bonus feat is kind of a waste.

It might help to specify that casting is Charisma-based in the entry under Spellcasting.

Also, I feel the spell list is...rather lacking, limited almost entirely to three things: Wrecking Undead, Creating Deathless, or Healing. Adding some additional spells can add flavor and give the DS some more options other than just being a Cleric replacement...with a narrower spell-list. The only real advantage I see this having over a Cleric with a Deathless domain is spontaneous casting. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Spontaneous Casters, but even then i'd rather just play a Favored Soul with a Deathless domain. How about some bluffs, or creative uses for positive energy? Temporary Hit Points are useful at low levels, as would some battlefield control spells. Don't be afraid to add some spells to that list from the Sorcerer/Wizard list or something.

Overall good first attempt, but too narrow and niche'y.

Rater202
2015-04-19, 08:21 AM
Well, it is sort of an Anti-Dread Necromancer, Ing.

Which got craft Wondrous Item at 19 and had a spell list that consisted almost entirely of creating undead, controlling undead, summoning undead, and using negative energy to scare hurt/debuff the living.

Humble Master
2015-04-19, 08:33 AM
Firstly, I like the concept of a class that creates Undead-esque creatures that aren't evil. Great fluff from the start with them being misunderstood and mistaken for Necromancer. On to the class features.

Spellcasting The spell list is pretty narrow, like really narrow. Even advanced learning is only the Necromancy school. Makes sense I guess, though you could probably get away with a few more Cleric buff/protection spells.
Reviving Touch It's slow, but at 10 HP a minute at will it's still viable to fully heal the entire party after each combat. I'm not sure if this is intended. Also, you don't specify an action for this ability though with the once per round clause I assume you mean it's a free action.
Deathless Body DR is kind of meh on a class that shouldn't really be in combat.
Positive Energy Burst Firstly, you don't specify an action though I will assume it's a standard action. Doesn't seem horrendously good or bad as you basically need to use it when your party is all around you for it to be worth it.
Mental Bastion Save bonuses. Decent I suppose.
Holy Aura You need to specify when the Undead make the save. Is it every round or when they first enter?
Remove Disease Niche as always for this kind of thing unless the DM loves infecting your party with magical death-AIDS. Also, I noticed the Deathless Summoner's spell list doesn't include the Remove Disease spell which is good I suppose as that would invalidate this class feature.
Summon Familiar Don't have the stats for a Coure Eldrin, or Musteval Guardinal but a Lantern Archon is a pretty nice familiar.
Deathless Sovereign Neat boosts, though I'm sure there is some way to abuse the hit dice you gain.
Negative Energy Resistance Flavorful boost. Decent bonus.
Light Fortification Wait, if Deathless are like Undead aren't they immune to crits in the first place? I might be wrong because I don't have the rules for Deathless.
Craft Wondrous Item Sort of late for a bonus feat and rather dissonant with the class's overall feel. They Deathless Summoner needs to make their Phylactery, but why not make that just part of the Deathless Lich class feature? On the other hand, I do like the fact that is a class feature which represents progress towards the ultimate goal of the class.
Restoring Touch This is actually a really awesome class feature, just as long as there are negative levels to remove. Also, I notice here you did specify an action.
Deathless Lich Heck yah! Nothing says capstone like "Become immortal". I don't know the Deathless Lich template so I can't comment on it's power, but the class feature is flavorful as heck with the Phylactery keeping the Deathless Summoner alive for one important quest.

Overall, I love the fluff of this class. It's a cool concept and the capstone is a story in of itself. However, the class is pretty niche and focuses almost entirely on whooping the bony behinds of Undead or healing. If that's what you're going for it's fine, but this class would be fairly weak to play in a campaign without plenty of undead.