PDA

View Full Version : What to do next with my Paladin? (He is awesome so far!)

Seth1221
2015-04-19, 07:14 AM
Hello Playgrounders!

First I'd like to brag a little - I am really enjoying my 7th level Paladin of Vengance. Yesterday I managed to deal a nice 131 dmg in one turn! It was a blast - or rather divine smite! :smalltongue:

Anyway - I am thinking about what to do next with my paladin. Here he is:

Samuel Paladin of Vengance
str 18
dex 10
con 14
int 8
wis 12
cha 14

Great weapon master feat with a great weapon fighting style

At 8th level I am definitely going for +2 in charisma but what next? What to do at level 12th? Another +2 to CHA? Or maybe take the resilent CON feat? But then my con score will be odd :smallfrown:.

I am also thinking about taking two levels in figther for the action surge. When would be the best time to multiclass?

All your ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated! :)

coredump
2015-04-19, 07:20 AM
While Action Surge is nice.... I just can't find a point where its better than 2 more levels of Paladin, and delaying every future Paladin level for 2 levels. I keep thinking of MCing my Paly, but it just never seems worth it.

Also.... spill on the Smite damage, sounds awesome.

I always have trouble with a starting Nova because too much is fighting for my bonus actions, smite spells, Vow of Enmity, Hunter's mark.... even misty step.

Giant2005
2015-04-19, 07:46 AM
I'd stick with Paladin until 11 at the very least (For Improved Divine Smite). At level 12 I'd pickup Polearm Master - that bonus action is incredibly powerful on a Paladin with his Smiting capabilities.
After 12 there isn't a lot of reason to stick with Paladin - you already have their best spells and there aren't really any more class abilities worth picking up so multiclassing is probably the superior option. I'm just not sure Fighter is the way to do it. With Fighter you would pick up an extra ASI/Feat which your build desperately needs but with Sorcerer you would pick up a bunch more spell slots for smiting and some high level ones to really show off your potential via Elemental Weapon. With Sorcerer you would be able to cast a max strength Elemental Weapon (Two of them if you feel like Twinning for a buddy) at level 19 or a medium strength one at level 15.
I think Sorc is the better option purely for the sake of Elemental Weapon which is the single most DPR-increasing spell in the game.

RulesJD
2015-04-19, 10:17 AM
Mechanically the best option is 2-3 levels of Warlock. Short rest rechargeable smites + healing through cure wounds, automatically get the best ranged damage cantrip (with Hunters Mark), invocation for Darkness + Devil's Sight advantage/disadvantage combo, self-heal capability with Fiendish Vigor, get to use Bless/GWM combo in almost every fight, get access to best diversity of the best cantrips (Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion, Guidance, Sacred Flame, Thorn Whip (for closer melee), Create Bonfire (to grapple and burn while hitting), Vicious Mockery/Frost Bite (disadvantage)). 5 levels of Warlock nets you Fireball + short rest rechargeable 4d8 Smites + another invocation which should be Tome one to get access to Find Familiar and all the rituals for incredible diversity.