PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft RPG?

BOC2
2007-04-15, 05:54 PM
I was just wondering how many people here play World of Warcraft RPG... Where I live, D&D 3.5 is all that is played, and it's played by a very scarce few people. So who has this system, so I know for future reference?

EvilElitest
2007-04-15, 05:56 PM
I have two books, what do other people think about the game?
personally, i really quite like the fluff
from,
EE

the_tick_rules
2007-04-15, 06:35 PM
i don't, one of the few.

Zephyros
2007-04-15, 07:54 PM
I have all the old books.. When it was named Warcraft RPG d20 from sword and sorcery.. It was pretty damn good and I have run a couple of freakin gritty -made of pure gold and win - nasty campaigns.. To my dissapointment though they proceeded to republish things as WoW d20 which is so lame. SOOOOO LAME :smallfurious: (I hate them) now its more of an MMO copy paste thing wargame.. If u can find the pdfs of the old bookds like the PHB supplement, Alliance and Horde, Magic and Mayhem, Lands of Conflict etc etc. USE it.. I highly recommend not to buy the new ones.. (wtf there s not even a single spell without dice rolling for dmg in the new magic and mayhem bleh)

If u like the pc games.. (not WoW, the strategy ones) I like to pose as an infidel some times and compare it to Ravenloft.. The world is just amazing..

"My son what are you doing?"
"I am succeeding you father.."

SPLORTCH

That's exactly what happened with the republishment...

Starsinger
2007-04-15, 08:02 PM
I like the new WoW RPG better than the old one. It's still d20, it is just more like world of warcraft than "let's take warcraft races, and make prestige classes out of the units, while using D&D base classes".

It's sorta like the upgrade from 3.0 to 3.5, infact, sword and sorcerery's website has a file on converting things from the older books to being compliant with the newer books.

BOC2
2007-04-15, 08:10 PM
I've never even been able to find a copy of the original stuff, but the way you described it tells me something... *laugh* That's Arthas for ya. Ah, well. I was only wondering weather it would be worth making a campaign off of it... But guaging the responses so far, I doubt it would work. What do you guys think?

Zephyros
2007-04-15, 08:12 PM
You mean u like more the new Handbook.. Which has adopted more than half the book of Arcana Unearthed. period. After that comes a swarm of totally boring stuff (with not at all fluff)

Zephyros
2007-04-15, 08:17 PM
to boc2:

The fact is that the world has enough fluff and novels and stuff - hell u can even use WoW to enrich your campaign world- but it s just not widespread as FR or DL etc.

And u can play in a lot of eras of Azeroth, not just the first 2 big wars or the scourging.

Zephyros

Indon
2007-04-15, 11:22 PM
I've played a bit of the old as well as the new version of the game, and I feel the newer edition is better, though both are good.

The thing I like most about the system is the back of the (new) WoW RPG book details systems for how to stat out cities in terms of trade, military power, etc, so it provides a significant option to introduce a real RTS, help-build-a-settlement feel to it.

Marius
2007-04-16, 07:48 AM
I've played a bit of the old as well as the new version of the game, and I feel the newer edition is better, though both are good.

The thing I like most about the system is the back of the (new) WoW RPG book details systems for how to stat out cities in terms of trade, military power, etc, so it provides a significant option to introduce a real RTS, help-build-a-settlement feel to it.

I agree with Indon, the new book is better. But if you think that magic is broken in d&d it's even worse in WoW. They didn't want to completely change the vancian magic system but they wanted to make it more like a mana system so now all caster classes can memorize X number of spells for the day and then cast them however they want. So if your Druid has 4 first level slots and he memorizes Cure Light Wounds, Longstrider, Entangle and Magic Fang he can cast them like he was a sorcerer, so if he needs 2 CLW and 2 Magic fangs he can cast them. At high levels you can memorize 13 spells per level so casters can always have the right spell at the right time. That problem is easily fixed but you have to fix it if you don't want casters outshining everyone.

Indon
2007-04-16, 08:37 AM
I agree with Indon, the new book is better. But if you think that magic is broken in d&d it's even worse in WoW. They didn't want to completely change the vancian magic system but they wanted to make it more like a mana system so now all caster classes can memorize X number of spells for the day and then cast them however they want. So if your Druid has 4 first level slots and he memorizes Cure Light Wounds, Longstrider, Entangle and Magic Fang he can cast them like he was a sorcerer, so if he needs 2 CLW and 2 Magic fangs he can cast them. At high levels you can memorize 13 spells per level so casters can always have the right spell at the right time. That problem is easily fixed but you have to fix it if you don't want casters outshining everyone.

Huh? *packs out book* Arcanists prepare their spells just like Wizards in D&D, and Healers just like Clerics. Are you talking about like, rune-mages or something, or confusing the two versions? Not to mention, Arcanist spells are not only slightly blastier (i.e. lacking in some utility spells found in standard D&D but with more directly offensive or defensive spells) but the spell lists are divided by path: You need to be a Mage to get Time Stop, for instance, but only a Warlock can learn Gate (And you need to be a Druid or Animal domain cleric to get Shapechange).

Marius
2007-04-16, 09:17 AM
Huh? *packs out book* Arcanists prepare their spells just like Wizards in D&D, and Healers just like Clerics. Are you talking about like, rune-mages or something, or confusing the two versions? Not to mention, Arcanist spells are not only slightly blastier (i.e. lacking in some utility spells found in standard D&D but with more directly offensive or defensive spells) but the spell lists are divided by path: You need to be a Mage to get Time Stop, for instance, but only a Warlock can learn Gate (And you need to be a Druid or Animal domain cleric to get Shapechange).

No they don't. They prepare X number of spells like wizards or clerics in d&d but they can use them like they were spells known as a sorcerer.
Check this topic in the official forum.
http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=55978

They do have more specific spell lists but if you add more books it's almost the same.

Oh and they have a d6 hit dice.

Indon
2007-04-16, 10:12 AM
Ah, I did have a misconception there. That makes sense, though, considering that rune-users prepare spells in a similar fashion.

But again, the spell list is much less Batmannable than the D&D spell list is, even with additional books. Which WoW D20 sourcebook has Grease? How about Forcecage, or the Prismatic spells? I didn't notice Polymorph either, at least on the arcanist lists.

Not to say Arcanists don't get rockin' spells. Death and Decay, Starfall, all kinds of big, heavy damage dealing magic, alongside some solid utility spells. But magic in Warcraft is about blowing things up and the spell lists reflect that.

Few people think blowing-things-up magic is overpowered, and in light of this, even a hit die escalation is appropriate. Especially compared to the kinds of things other classes can do (Tinkers, for example), or the more powerful base races (Trolls, for instance, can get Fast Healing, and their racial levels count for Divine spellcasting progression, or Forsaken, which are, well, intelligent undead with no level adjustment and D12 HD racial levels), or the more potent feats (Shouts come to mind).

WoW D20 is a higher power level than standard D&D, in general; and yet, at the same time, spellcasters have more attack and defense capability and less utility.