PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Shapechange at 5th level

Erritu
2015-04-19, 11:11 AM
Again I look for the collective wisdom gathered here to tell me why this doesn't work. (I know it shouldn't but can't find a RAW reason why it doesn't)

Changeling Wizard using Alter Self

*3rd level feat - Assume Supernatural Ability*

At 5th level the wizard uses Alter Self (as a humoniod shapechanger) to change into a Malaugrym (same type/5HD) (Monsters of Faerun pg 64) and assumes its supernatural ability to shapechange as a 20th level caster.

I'm sure you can see where it goes from here. Thoughts?

Flickerdart
2015-04-19, 11:46 AM
I would say that alter self is not similar enough to polymorph to qualify, since all it does is give you the shape of a creature without the ability scores, special attacks, or any other kind of thing involved in its true form. Only fully polymorph-like effects (such as draconic polymorph and polymorph any object) ought to work with Assume Supernatural Ability.

Also, isn't the malaugrim an outsider? You'd need an outsider PC (such as a tiefling wizard) to do this.

WhamBamSam
2015-04-19, 11:48 AM
There are several reasons this doesn't work.

1. The Shapechanger type was a 3.0 thing. The updated Malaugrym (see the PGtF Web Enhancement) is an Outsider (Evil, Extraplanar, Shapechanger). A Neraph, Otherworldly Elf, or the like could Alter Self into one, as Alter Self doesn't care about subtypes.

2. The shapechange ability was updated to be the Change Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape) special ability.

It's still pretty stupidly powerful, especially if you're rocking something like Metamorphic Transfer somehow to really take advantage of the wide array of forms it opens up. This isn't actually the only TO use of Outsider Alter Self either. You can get NI Cha by using Alter Self+Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer to become a Visilight (MMIII) and eating commoners.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-19, 12:03 PM
From the 3.5 Update (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a):

Malaugrym: Outsider (evil, extraplanar, shapechanger); +5/+6; 5
ft./5 ft.; 10/silver; Bluff +10, Diplomacy +14, Disguise +10*, Intimidate
+12, Knowledge (any two) +10, Listen +9, Search +10, Sense
Motive +9, Spot +9; Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Great FortitudeB,
Iron WillB; LA +6. Type changes to Outsider (extraplanar,
shapechanger); attacks change to tentacle +6 melee; add darkvision
60 ft. to special qualities; replace alternate form with change shape
in special qualities (see Monster Manual glossary).

Furthermore, upon using Shapechange it would override your Alter Self: Malaugrym and you would lose that Shapechange ability, thus immediately reverting back to your Alter Self: Malaugrym form but still having spent the action it took to use the shapechange ability.

Erritu
2015-04-19, 02:45 PM
Beautiful. That's what I needed. Kudos to all.