PDA

View Full Version : Optimization FF-XII Gilgamesh Build

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-19, 12:04 PM
Hi my group is doing a gestalt campaign starting at 5th level. Our DM told us to go wild and that we are able use all 3.0-3.5 books plus dragon magazine, so I'm trying to build a character base off of Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy 12. what would be the best way to build him. I already have the obah blessed template from dragon #136 for the extra arms. what classes should I take, should I go with a tome of battle class such as the warblade to get maneuvers or should I take fighter with offset level of rogue(fighter feats Variant) so that I can get feats every level, or is there some other class or combination that would work.

Buufreak
2015-04-19, 12:30 PM
Tried this exact thing. Worked out hilariously, even without gestalt. I went with the 6 arm variant, and took straight warblade, with heavy focus on tiger claw to get as much as I could out of turns that I couldn't leap far enough. I also put huge focus on all wbl going to silly as could be weapons, all being cheap knock offs of classic FF swords. Obviously invest in MWF feats, or if you can convince your dm (still haven't seen a citation on this one) that each additional hand adds more strength and power attack to a weapon.

VariSami
2015-04-19, 12:55 PM
Here is for the citation on multiple hands being used on weapons:

Provided that a weapon is designed for more than two hands, each additional hand increases the damage dealth with that weapon. Each hand used beyond the first adds 1/2 the wielder's Strength bonus to the damage. [...]
Any weapon in the Player's Handbook can be lengthened, balanced, and otherwise designed and crafted for creatures with more than two hands. [...]

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-19, 09:27 PM
just found the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat,. I think this would be perfect for enkidu but I was wondering if anyone has tried it and what your opinion on it, is it good, bad, or ok.

Seharvepernfan
2015-04-20, 04:51 PM
Warblade would be best, I think.

Enkidu...I wouldn't say he's just an animal. Ask your DM if you can have wild cohort until level 6, when it transforms into leadership (but just for a cohort), so you can have an awakened celestial magehound (or something crazy) with class levels.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-20, 05:57 PM
My only question is, why not this Gilgamesh instead:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/powerlisting/images/f/f9/Tumblr_mtb4aaB0Yb1rtljjxo10_r1_500.gif/revision/latest?cb=20141127214610
:smallcool:

Rubik
2015-04-20, 06:00 PM
Getting six arms is fairly easy. Your regular (humanoid) arms, of course. Warforged mighty arms for 1,000 gp. Arms of the naga, for 56,000 gp.

After that, I suppose you could either go thri-kreen for four mundane arms, or you could use a shapeshifting effect (such as Polymorph or Metamorphosis) to become a thri-kreen. Gilgamesh does well at jumping, after all, and if you wear a mask, who could know that you just became an insect thingy?

Also, you may be interested in this. (https://www.fimfiction.net/story/182126/the-mighty-warrior-of-epicness) It captures Gilgamesh really well, and the whole story (and so far, its sequel) is awesome. The crossovers range from decent to good, as well.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-20, 07:36 PM
Getting six arms is fairly easy. Your regular (humanoid) arms, of course. Warforged mighty arms for 1,000 gp. Arms of the naga, for 56,000 gp.

After that, I suppose you could either go thri-kreen for four mundane arms, or you could use a shapeshifting effect (such as Polymorph or Metamorphosis) to become a thri-kreen. Gilgamesh does well at jumping, after all, and if you wear a mask, who could know that you just became an insect thingy?

I already have the obah blessed template from dragon #136 which grants me
+4 extra arms
+4 Str +6Dex +4Con +6Cha
Multiweapon fighting feat
with a level adj +3

plus Gilgamesh is not an insect.

danzibr
2015-04-20, 07:40 PM
I totally love your build. I never thought to use Obah-blessed in such a way, and I'm a big Gilgamesh fan.

Think I might make a similar character, but just use all 6 hands on one two-hander. Or maybe change fighting styles.

And by the above quoted rules, should be an extra +1/2*4*Str bonus, right?

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-21, 02:29 PM
Does anyone know of a ability or a feat that would allow a full round attack to count as a standard action.

Rubik
2015-04-21, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know of a ability or a feat that would allow a full round attack to count as a standard action.There's a maneuver in Tome of Battle which does this.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-22, 06:18 PM
whats your opinion on what FF-XII Gilgamesh class level would be. would he be a tome of battle class such as (warblade + ?) with all those maneuvers or would a (fighter + oddlevel feat rogue) gestalt which gets a feat every level be good or is there some other cool gestalt that would fit FF-XII Gilgamesh better.

Rubik
2015-04-22, 06:24 PM
whats your opinion on what FF-XII Gilgamesh class level would be. would he be a tome of battle class such as (warblade + ?) with all those maneuvers or would a (fighter + oddlevel feat rogue) gestalt which gets a feat every level be good or is there some other cool gestalt that would fit FF-XII Gilgamesh better.You shouldn't specify "FF XII Gilgamesh," since every Gilgamesh (except FF XI) is the same one traveling the rifts between time and space and visiting the different FF games.

Hell, Dissidia isn't canon for any of the characters therein, but it's canon for Gilgamesh, since he actually traveled to that place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrT9UnIPZk

And I'd say perhaps a warblade/crusader/master of nine.

Lloyd-Starbuck
2015-04-22, 06:37 PM
You shouldn't specify "FF XII Gilgamesh," since every Gilgamesh (except FF XI) is the same one traveling the rifts between time and space and visiting the different FF games.

Sorry about that, the only final fantasy game I played was Final Fantasy 12 and did not know he was in other FF games

danzibr
2015-04-22, 07:56 PM
You shouldn't specify "FF XII Gilgamesh," since every Gilgamesh (except FF XI) is the same one traveling the rifts between time and space and visiting the different FF games.
It'd be cool to rp as *the* Gilgamesh. New character idea.

Rubik
2015-04-22, 08:02 PM
It'd be cool to rp as *the* Gilgamesh. New character idea.Read that story I linked earlier. It'll give you ideas.

danzibr
2015-04-22, 08:36 PM
Read that story I linked earlier. It'll give you ideas.
Ahh..... I started it. I've seen very little My Little Pony, quit part of the way through the first chapter.

Buufreak
2015-04-23, 12:15 AM
It'd be cool to rp as *the* Gilgamesh. New character idea.

Are we talking Babylonian mythos, or FF series? I did the later, and constantly screamed about hunting for new better weapons, some guy named "Britz" that no one ever knew, and how my warbred direwolf was the best thing since sliced bread. He also had a DM approved "Bag of random holding" that would let me fish out literally anything, as long as it was never useful at all, but funny towards the situation.

Rubik
2015-04-23, 07:07 AM
Are we talking Babylonian mythos, or FF series? I did the later, and constantly screamed about hunting for new better weapons, some guy named "Britz" "Bartz" that no one ever knew, and how my warbred direwolf was the best thing since sliced bread. He also had a DM approved "Bag of random holding" that would let me fish out literally anything, as long as it was never useful at all, but funny towards the situation.Considering that "FF-XII" is in the thread title...

Buufreak
2015-04-23, 09:10 AM
Fair enough, and the typo was intentional. He had a streak of never getting anything right, especially names.