PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Transmutation & immunity

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-19, 12:25 PM
Transmutation is a school focused around changing the way things are. Nearly every bonus that a spell from this school grants is given due to a change in the body, type, or other effect. Some spells have a subschool when the subs where added in, but for the most part, most spells I think it would be safe to say would be a mild shape change/polymorph effect, depending on the spell itself.

Immunity to polymorphing as an immunity goes, simply lays out a flat, no friend or foe immunity to it.

My searching has lead me in circles seeing if you can, or can not use your own spells (or supernatural ability's) that cause changes in your own body.

Anyone have some insight on this issue for me?

Metahuman1
2015-04-19, 01:41 PM
I think you can voluntarily lower immunity's, similar to how you can opt to fail a save if you so wish or how you can lower spell resistance for friendly effects you want to get through.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-19, 04:32 PM
"Polymorph" is a specific family of spells that comprise a subset of transmutation spells. Immunity to the former does not mean immunity to the latter.

Necroticplague
2015-04-19, 06:48 PM
1.Polymorphing is to transmutation what phantasms are to illusion. It's one part of it, but being immune to the former doesn't have anything to do with immunity to the former.

2. You can willingly drop your own immunity, allowing whatever friends or your own effects to effect you. If a MoMF wants to be effected by a polymorph, it can drop its immunity to let it be changed.

Crake
2015-04-19, 07:49 PM
There is clearly a limit to what immunities you can drop, for example undead being immune to mind affecting, they can't drop that to be affected by moral bonuses, same with plants, especially since you need a bard feat for each of them to use your music on them. As such, I've always run it as type based immunities cannot be droped, but racial and class based immunities can be (since an elf can drop their immunity to magical sleep for example), so for example demons can drop their immunity to poison to take drugs, but an undead can't drop his immunity to mind affecting to gain the benefit of a psychic reformation, at least until he ceases to be undead, so a polymorph spell would do the trick there.

Urpriest
2015-04-19, 07:53 PM
There is clearly a limit to what immunities you can drop, for example undead being immune to mind affecting, they can't drop that to be affected by moral bonuses, same with plants, especially since you need a bard feat for each of them to use your music on them. As such, I've always run it as type based immunities cannot be droped, but racial and class based immunities can be (since an elf can drop their immunity to magical sleep for example), so for example demons can drop their immunity to poison to take drugs, but an undead can't drop his immunity to mind affecting to gain the benefit of a psychic reformation, at least until he ceases to be undead, so a polymorph spell would do the trick there.

Is this just personal opinion, or do you have a reason to divide things in this way?

Chronos
2015-04-19, 08:26 PM
Where are you getting the immunity from? Most sources of immunity to polymorph and/or transmutations explicitly say that the creature can still use its own polymorph magic on itself.

Werephilosopher
2015-04-19, 09:11 PM
Technically, you can suppress any immunity you have, but only when you would be affected by a spell with a saving throw.

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Crake
2015-04-19, 09:16 PM
Is this just personal opinion, or do you have a reason to divide things in this way?

personal opinion, sorry if I came across as calling it fact

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-20, 03:57 PM
Where are you getting the immunity from? Most sources of immunity to polymorph and/or transmutations explicitly say that the creature can still use its own polymorph magic on itself.

From a plant subtype. It is awoken as per the spell

Urpriest
2015-04-20, 08:35 PM
From a plant subtype. It is awoken as per the spell

No such thing as a plant subtype.