PDA

View Full Version : Dervish Help, Again

Takamari
2007-04-15, 07:01 PM
Ok guys, I need some help on this build. I have read several threads and also the Dervish handbook. I wanted to go a different route, so please examine this build.

Human Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 2/Dervish 4

Str: 16
Dex: 18 (20 +2 Gloves)
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 14
Cha: 12

My DM gives us an "epic" stat array, but then again, in his games, we need it. lol

H. Dodge
1. Mobility
3. Combat Expertise
F1. Weapon Focus: Scimitar
F2. Two Weapon Fighting
6. Deadly Defense (complete scoundrel)
9. Acrobatic Strike or ITWF or Improved Critical

2x +2 Scimitars

If I do the math right, my attacks come out to:

Normal: +17/+12 for 1d6+8
-2 for Combat Expertise: +15/+10 for 2d6+8

TWF with -2 Combat Expertise: +13/+8/+13 for 2x2d6+8, 1x2d6+6
Add my Dervish Dance and it looks like this:

+15/+10/+15 for 2x2d6+10 and 2d6+8

*Critical on 15-20

Normal AC: 23 (Mithral Shirt +2(+6), +5 Dex, +1 Ring of Protection, +1 Dervish)

I was considering adding a Monks belt at higher levels for a +3 bonus, but I'm iffy on that one.

Please check me and critique this build.

Talya
2007-04-15, 07:07 PM
do i have that calculated right at a 46 point buy? (I figured your dex started at 16 and you raised it with your two bonus points as you levelled.

Takamari
2007-04-15, 07:20 PM
No point buy. We are given 18 16 15 14 13 12 as our starting stats. We are the heroes, the best of the best. Most of the baddies are mooks, but the BBEGs are built like we are. My DM is a big homebrew kind of guy. He gives eschew materials, spell thematices and an instant metamagic feat to sorcerers because according to him, they suck. et cetera

Talya
2007-04-15, 07:26 PM
No point buy. We are given 18 16 15 14 13 12 as our starting stats. We are the heroes, the best of the best. Most of the baddies are mooks, but the BBEGs are built like we are. My DM is a big homebrew kind of guy. He gives eschew materials, spell thematices and an instant metamagic feat to sorcerers because according to him, they suck. et cetera

i was going to suggest he talk my DM into giving my sorceror similar, before I realized my DM gives sorcerors an extra spell per spell level (Which must come out of the campaign setting source material...fortunately FR has a lot of source material)...and the extra spells are probably more useful than the feats.

Takamari
2007-04-15, 07:31 PM
In any case, I've not gotten many responses, what does everyone think?

Annarrkkii
2007-04-15, 08:40 PM
Improved Critical. At 10th level, pick up a level of Warblade, and take the Blood in the Water stance (Tiger Claw 1), Wolf Fang Strike (Tiger Claw Strike 1), Stone Bones (Stone Dragon Strike 1), and Bonecrusher (Stone Dragon Strike 3)

Or, if you are not going down the oh-so-lovely Tome of Battle path, then instead go ahead and take Improved Two Weapon Fighting, as you'll be full attacking more often.

Matthew
2007-04-16, 06:18 PM
Okay, so looking at this:

Your Character has a Base Attack Bonus of: +9 / +4.

He enjoys a +5 Attack Bonus from Dexterity, due to Weapon Finesse and the Dervish's Class Feature that allows him to treat Scimitars as Light Weapons and Weapon Focus (Scimitar) brings this up another point, which results in Attack Bonus: +15 / +10. Add in the Scimitars +2 and you get +17 / +12, so your Attack Bonus calaculations look good.

My question, though, is why is your Damage Bonus coming out as 2D6+8 and 2D6+6, shouldn't that be 1D6+8 and 1D6+6 or am I missing something about the Scimitars? perhaps it's a Dervish Prestige Class feature, I'm not perfectly clear on how that progresses.

Armour Class looks okay. I guess you are going to have to decide whether you want to improve the amount of Damage your Character can dish out or his Armour Class.

In short, the build looks okay melee wise, but it's nothing special as far as Level Nine Characters go. There's not much that can be improved via one Feat. I guess, if I were going for flavour, I would take Improved Two Weapon Fighting over Improved Critical.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-16, 06:59 PM
i personally love adding improved buckler defense for TWFers.