PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Zaydos
2015-06-05, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure if you considered multiplayer for that card, but with a 3 player game that ability becomes entirely irrelevant, I think it should be 1 counter that is removed during the controler's upkeep

Was meant to say each of your upkeep... :smallredface:

Surely you could make it cost XUR and say "You can't cast Tinker Trick by paying less than 5 mana. When Trick enters the battlefield, put X 1/1..."

Apart from being weird, it's okay. Don't know why I'd use it apart from as a decent mana store (3/2 for 2 isn't bad, plus mana store).

Commander :smallwink:

Xavier Halshar 1WB
Planeswalker - Xavier MR
+1: You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life.
-3: Exile target creature.
-8: You gain 2 life for each permanent you control and each opponent loses 2 life for each permanent that player controls.

The -8 is probably a little too "I win" for a 3 drop planeswalker. Maybe make it non-land permanents only?

Next: Something that puts something into your hand.

Aether Reclamation (U/p)
Instant
Return target permanent you own to your hand.

Challenge: Make something that costs GG.

braveheart
2015-06-05, 04:25 PM
You saw his true purpose, also you forgot a card rarity, but as long as that's not rare it's a good reasonable card

- - - Updated - - -

You saw his true purpose, also you forgot a card rarity, but as long as that's not rare it's a good reasonable card

Rampage GG
Instant - C
Target creature gets +3/+3 and trample until end of turn

A 5 color thing

enderlord99
2015-06-05, 05:40 PM
Seems good.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2v29on5.jpg

Challenge: another over-the-top card.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-05, 08:08 PM
Seems like a fun joke card. It could be played casually via zombification in a deck that also runs Door to Nothingness and stuff.

Crown of the King of Card Games (no mana cost)
(This card - only one exists - bears the drunken signature of Mark Rosewater and is set into a cardboard hat from Burger King.)
Artifact - (A green Fallen Empires expansion symbol)
As long as you own Crown of the King of Card Games, you win all games and are entitled to all tournament prizes. (Even games and tournaments which you do not enter or where this card is not legal to play.)

Challenge! Make a card that you would like to see played against you, even if it screws you over at the time.

Jormengand
2015-06-06, 06:46 AM
Well, I can't really judge it, can I? It's a deliberately bad card that deliberately makes no sense and is deliberately pointless. So grats I guess?

Good challenge, though. So yay.

Accelerando 1G
Sorcery - R
Search your library for 3 land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Each other player searches their library for 2 land cards and puts them onto the battlefield tapped.

Next: A card that lets you cast more spells.

enderlord99
2015-06-06, 07:15 AM
I like it! Fits the theme well, too. That said, the name makes no sense.

City
Basic land - City (BL)

Next challenge: Something that truly fits the Mythic rarity, while still being fairly balanced.

Jormengand
2015-06-06, 09:09 AM
It's a basic city. Yay. I already made that card (otherwise it would be hard to cast most of the spells I've made :smalltongue:) and it's... well, it's a city, isn't it?

As for mythic... how about making a new type of game object?

The Thief of Magic 3UP
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue Wizard MR
Whenever another player casts an instant or sorcery spell, put a sigil in your hand that's a copy of that spell (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack.)
(U/P): Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast sigils.
2/3

If you really don't like that he's purple - if it offends you deeply - pretend he's UR

Next: Something else that uses sigils. If you don't like them, think of a better way of doing what they would do.

braveheart
2015-06-06, 01:14 PM
Interesting, instant and sorcery tokens essentially, I like the idea, that particular example only works when you match your opponent's colors, but it works

Song of Growth in Time GGG
Sorcery - U
Gain an instant Sigil with casting cost of (0) and "add GG to your mana pool" (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack.)
"As we grow trikes wears some away"

Either another Sigil, or a ritual, (card and mana in, mana out)

Jormengand
2015-06-06, 02:14 PM
Re critique: his second ability allows you to spend U and P as though they were any colour when casting sigils.

Anyway, it's a good card. I like it.

Mind Vision P
Sorcery - C
Target opponent reveals a random card from their hand. Put a sigil into your hand that's a copy of that card. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack. Permanent sigils put a token copy on the battlefield when they resolve.)

Next: Use sigils (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack. Permanent sigils put a token copy on the battlefield when they resolve.) or Coloursickness - If you didn't spend (Colour) to cast ~, (Bad stuff happens).

enderlord99
2015-06-06, 03:05 PM
Cool.

Eldritch Echo {0}

Tribal Instant - Eldrazi (uncommon)

If you cast ~ when you could cast a Sorcery, it's treated as a Sorcery in addition to its other types.

Put a Sigil into your hand that's a copy of ~ except that its mana cost increases by 1, it's Arcane in addition to its other types, and all instances in its text of {P} become {U}, {U} become {W}, {W} become {G}, {G} become {R}, {R} become {B}, and {B} become {P}.

Coloursickness ó If you didn't spend {B} to cast ~, ~ deals one damage to you.

Designer's notes: This is designed purely as combo fodder. I'm aware it's basically impossible to not trigger Coloursickness the first time you cast it; that's intentional. The text changing mana symbols does, technically, change itself, but it has no real effect there because each statement is, effectively, moved one position to the left; it's designed to change the colour associated with Coloursickness, which it also does.

Challenge: something weirder than you would find in a normal official set, but not weird enough to belong in an Un-set.

Jormengand
2015-06-06, 03:18 PM
Well... it's odd. And it's probably rare for complexity, even though I would hate to open it as a rare. In fact, it's almost a mythic for complexity alone, and a poor one at that. The ping to face if you didn't cast it with B can't really justify being on the card, and forcing you to play in six colours to use it properly is utterly insane.

Lord of Fire Eternal 3PPRR
Legendary Creature - Human Mage MR
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a red sorcery sigil called Fire Eternal costing 2RR with "Fire Eternal deals 6 damage to target creature or player" into your hand. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack.)
5/7

So tempted to set the flavour text to "A-ha!" but there's not enough room on the card.

Next: Another reference which is only obvious if you already get it.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-06, 03:43 PM
Next: Another reference which is only obvious if you already get it.

Save for Sigils being the latest mechanic you're claiming for Purple, there's no real reason for LoFE not to be mono-red. Just don't forget to specify whether those sigils are Instants or Sorceries. (They're probably sorceries.)

Sigils are alright as far as purple mechanics go, though it makes me wonder what you're putting into your hand to represent it in a physical game. Plus, you can cheat by shuffling it into your library unless it gets revealed somehow, but I had similar problems with the Manifest mechanic and they still did that.

Why you couldn't bring yourself to simply name this guy Archmage Antonidas is beyond me. :smalltongue:

Slime Rainbow G
Creature - Ooze Mutant C
Graft 1
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control with a +1/+1 counter on it, put a +1/+1 counter on Slime Rainbow and it becomes the color of your choice. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
0/0

Challenge! Make another colorful creature (that only uses one or two colors of actual mana).

Jormengand
2015-06-06, 04:22 PM
Save for Sigils being the latest mechanic you're claiming for Purple, there's no real reason for LoFE not to be mono-red. Just don't forget to specify whether those sigils are Instants or Sorceries. (They're probably sorceries.)
a red sorcery sigil called Fire Eternal

Probably.

Sigils are alright as far as purple mechanics go, though it makes me wonder what you're putting into your hand to represent it in a physical game.

Pieces of card or even paper with "The Lady of Pain lives here" written on them.

Anyway, slime. With memory issues. At common. Yeah, don't like it much.

John the Blue 2UU
Legendary creature - Human R
Everything is blue (All permanents, and all cards everywhere, and all spells on the stack).
2/5

Next: An artifact.

ezkajii
2015-06-08, 09:36 AM
Well I can't see it really breaking anything, but at the same kind I can't see it doing much of anything to your opponents, mostly just opening up combo potential in a multicolor blue deck. If anything, against a multicolor deck it'll make their spells easier to cast since everything just costs and produces blue mana. Or am I misinterpreting this?

High-Voltage Switch 4
Artifact R
R, T: High-Voltage Switch deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
XB, T: (Pay for X with only black mana.) Put a creature card from your graveyard with converted mana cost X or less onto the battlefield tapped.
The proper application of power can harm or heal, if you know just what you're doing.

ETA next challenge: A card whose casting cost and activated abilities use exclusively hybrid or twobrid mana.

braveheart
2015-06-08, 01:10 PM
That an interesting choice, going for the Frankenstein reference. It works though, and seems pretty balanced

Life and Death (G/B)(G/B)(G/B)(G/B)(G/B)
Envantment - R
Whenever a creature you control dies you may put target creature in your graveyard with converted mana cost less than the converted mana cost of the creature which died, onto the battlefield under your control.
"Life inevitably ends in death, but death inevitably breathes new life"

Make a red enchantment

Zaydos
2015-06-08, 01:42 PM
Well I can't see it really breaking anything, but at the same kind I can't see it doing much of anything to your opponents, mostly just opening up combo potential in a multicolor blue deck. If anything, against a multicolor deck it'll make their spells easier to cast since everything just costs and produces blue mana. Or am I misinterpreting this?

As written it does nothing to the mana cost, it means Protection from Blue is Protection from EVERYTHING though, counter target blue spell (they exist) is Counterspell for R, and lands can be targeted by things that effect Blue permanents. So it creates a potentially really powerful combo in a Blue-White (Prot from Color is a white thing), Blue-Green (prot Blue is a Green thing, also gets some counter blue effects), or Blue-Red (gets some Blue hate, but I'd prefer Prot Blue) deck.

Life and Death (G/B)(G/B)(G/B)(G/B)(G/B)
Envantment - R
Whenever a creature you control dies you may put target creature in your graveyard with converted mana cost less than the converted mana cost of the creature which died, onto the battlefield under your control.
"Life inevitably ends in death, but death inevitably breathes new life"

Really potentially powerful but it will inevitably run out of things to bring out. I think it would be better designed if the creature entered your hand (cuts back on some shenanigans) and it cost 4. Either way it'd make me want to build a BUG commander deck again (or maybe just BG).

Make a red enchantment

Mana Flux 2R
Enchantment R
Whenever a player casts a spell flip a coin. If it is tails counter that spell unless its controller pays 1. If it is heads put a charge counter on Mana Flux.
Remove 5 Charge Counters from Mana Flux: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery.
Remove 5 Charge Counters from Mana Flux: Mana Flux's controller sacrifices it. Activate this ability only when you could cast a sorcery.

Challenge: Make a bird.

braveheart
2015-06-08, 02:31 PM
Interesting, soft counter on a coin flip, it's generally not that powerful and would likely be a nuicance more than anything else. it works though and can be removed if you need to.

Artillery Roc 2RW
(Image of s large Boulder being grasped by larger tallons)
Creature - Bird - R
Flying
2R: target player gains control of target artifact they don't control and ~ deals damage to hem equal to the converted mana cost of the artifact.
"The roc likes throwing rocks, but it often grabs the wot g rocks"
4/3

Something based on your avatar

Jormengand
2015-06-08, 03:03 PM
Assume that's meant to say "Wrong rocks". Anyway, it's pretty cool. XD

Commander Kayros, Lord of Words 3WU
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible, Flying
If your devotion to White and to Blue is less than 7, Commander Kayros, Lord of Words isn't a creature.
T: Draw a card and put a darkness counter on Kayros. Then if Kayros has at least 5 darkness counters on him, flip him.
4/4

Kayros, The Fallen (UB)
Legendary Creature - Avatar MR
Indestructible, Flying, Deathtouch
Whenever Kayros, The Fallen deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
4/4

Next: Same again.

enderlord99
2015-06-08, 03:29 PM
Seems okay, I guess.

http://i61.tinypic.com/31441o9.jpg
Author's note: It would be a creature, except endermen are masters of dimensional travel, so...
Also, the first ability is basically so it would ignore the legendary-permanent-esque rule for planeswalkers.
You can mentally change the blue mana symbols to purple, if you want.

Another planeswalker.

Ninjaman
2015-06-08, 03:54 PM
The sacrifice doesn't work like you want it to, it should say "The "Planswalker rule" doesn't apply to Some Random Enderlord". It seems like it should just be a creature.

Tibalt, Mindbroken - 2RB
Planeswalker - Tibalt
+2: Draw a card, then exile a card from your hand.
-x: You may cast a card exiled by Tibalt, Mindbroken without paying it's mana cost.
-8: Exile your hand, then draw a card for each card exiled by Tibalt, Mindbroken.

A green instant.

braveheart
2015-06-08, 05:18 PM
That is a much better tibalt, but you failed to specify that X is the converted mana cost of the exiled spell, otherwise good, although the ultimate is lacking in umph

Fungal Resurgence 2G
Instant - C
Regenerate target creature and put a +1/+1 counter on it
"The lifespore protect those who would pass before their time"

Something with more than 2 colors

ezkajii
2015-06-09, 09:00 AM
Ooh, I rather like that. Very green, very instant. Cost's probably good at common; if it were 1G or GG Common I would run that all the time.

Battlemage Commando WBR
Creature - Human Soldier R
WR: ~ gains +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.
BR, T: ~ deals 2 damage to target creature. It can't be regenerated.
XWB: Target opponent reveals the top X cards of their library. You may exile one of the revealed cards; put the rest into their owner's library.
4/4

Next: Something with at least three colored mana symbols of the same color in its mana cost.

braveheart
2015-06-09, 11:09 AM
He might need to be a 4/3 or a 3/4 for his mana cost, but overal he's good

The Great Keeper of The Seas UUUUUUUU
Legendary Creature - Leviathan - MR
Islandwalk
When ~ enters the battlefield gain control of all leviathans, and fish for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield.
All islands produce UU when tapped for mana
9/9

Something with phyrexian mana

enderlord99
2015-06-09, 12:38 PM
O... Kay... It works, I guess. Eight of one colour is... a "little" excessive...

Even the mightiest shall topple {ϕ}{ϕ}{ϕ}{ϕ}{ϕ}

Sorcery MR

Gain control of target creature with power 10 or greater. It gains haste, Annihilator 2, and Infect. When your turn ends, sacrifice it.

(Author's note: Phyrexians + Eldrazi = :smalleek: and that's the whole point)

EDIT: @V: I though colorless Phyrexian mana could only be paid with health. I suppose the mana cost should double, then (ten mana, twenty life or some combination in-between.)

Challenge: Something involving snow mana, and preferably Purple as well.

Jormengand
2015-06-09, 12:45 PM
Is it meant to be colourless phyrexian? Because if so, that's pretty insanely powerful. Paying 5 just to make an opponent sacrifice target creature with power 10 or greater and 2 other permanents would be nasty, especially when you can make it up with health.

Snow-covered City
Basic Land - Snow City L

Otherworld Blizzard SSS
Sorcery - R
Exile target nonsnow permanent.
Coloursickness - if you didn't spend P to cast Otherworld Blizzard, exile each nonsnow land you control.

Holy Blizzard SSS
Sorcery - R
Exile target nonsnow permanent.
Coloursickness - if you didn't spend W to cast Holy Blizzard, exile each nonsnow land you control.

Yes, you can guard against it by having only snow lands. That's deliberate.

Next: A sorcery with no coloured mana symbols on it.

ezkajii
2015-06-09, 01:54 PM
It looks good to me, though I don't know whether it really needs to be rare.

Mechanical Advantage 4
Sorcery - U
Untap all artifacts you control, and tap all artifacts your opponents control.

Challenge: A card based on, or with a reference to, 90s culture in some way.

braveheart
2015-06-09, 06:10 PM
Interesting calmed, not always going to be useful but in an artifact heavy set it could do something nice

The Freshest Prince 2B
Legendary Creature-Human-R (un)
Whenever ~ fights another creature move the game to a new table
"you're moving to your aunty and uncle in bel-air"
3/3

Make a pun or reference

enderlord99
2015-06-09, 07:50 PM
That definitely belongs in an un-set.

EDIT: You already said that. But still, weird.

Yellow Submarine

Artifact Land Creature - Island Leviathan MR

(~ isn't a spell, it's affected by summoning sickness, and it has "Tap: Add {U} to your mana pool.")

When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you pay {5}

~'s power and toughness are each equal to the number of Islands you control plus the number of Leviathans you control.

We all live in one.

X/X

Author's note: Only the name and flavor text are a reference to anything; I hope that's enough.

Challenge: another Land Creature!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-09, 08:26 PM
...and the band begins to play. :smalltongue:

Dang, that thing's pretty big. I wonder if it needs a little reminder text example... I'm assuming that it counts itself twice, so even if you have zero other islands it's still a 2/2. It's effectively a 7/7 for about 6, since it takes up your land drop for a turn as well. Being big is all it has, which is probably fine for a leviathan, but the idea feels like a green way of doing things more than a blue one. Blue does like its island collection, though, so I can certainly live with it.

Gaia, the Primordial Earth
Legendary Land Creature - God (Green) MR
As long as you control fewer than ten lands, Gaia, the Primordial Earth is colorless and isn't a creature.
Trample
Other land creatures you control get +1/+1.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool. (If Gaia is a creature, it can't {T} on the turn it enters the battlefield.)
10/10

Challenge! An aura that enchants lands.

Tom the Mime
2015-06-10, 03:25 AM
Seems good. Nice and creative.

Shared Bounty 1W
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant land you don't control
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, place a harvest country on it then gain life equal to the number of harvest counters on it.

Going for a white sort of psychic venom.

Make something that can enchant a planeswalker (it can also enchant other things too but it needs to be something that affects planeswalkers somehow).

ezkajii
2015-06-10, 09:12 AM
I like that - it's a monster in early game, definitely avoidable but a pain nonetheless. Other than that, quick typo "harvest country". It could maybe be green either instead or partially, as well.

Stagnation 1UB
Enchantment - Aura - R
Enchant planeswalker
Whenever enchanted planeswalker's loyalty would increase, reduce the amount it increases by 1.

Challenge: Combine fuse and flashback in some way. (Inspired by fuseback (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recursive-neural))

mystic1110
2015-06-10, 12:18 PM
That is an awesome thread!! Seriously!

Critique on your card is that it seems super narrow for a rare - like The Chain Veil, cards that exclusively work on Plansewalkers should by mythic.

Flatter W
Instant U
Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn and its controller gains 2 life.
//
Gossip U
Instant U
Target creature gets -2/-0 and you may look at its owners hand.
//
Fuseback 1UW (You may cast both halves of this card from your graveyard. Then exile it.)

Create another card with fuseback

Tom the Mime
2015-06-10, 09:41 PM
Just read through the link to fuseback and it seems pretty interesting. I don't know how it'd be shown on a card but I could totally see it being used as a mechanic. As for the card, it's got a lot going on. Everything seems okay for half a mana each (reveal hand coupled with a discard has been seen at 1) and it's not effective enough that being able to do it again when they could see a combat trick coming would be an issue.

Fizzle 1U
Instant U
Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 2
//
Soar U
Instant U
Target creature gains flying until end of turn
//
Fuseback 2UU

Couldn't think of a good name but the idea was to have it less versatile cast from the graveyard - the flight can only be used in response to a spell when cast with fuseback so it's harder to use offensively. It'd probably just be used more as a counter though.

Challenge: A flashback card with an off color flashback cost and coloursickness

@ V: Flashback is only for instants and sorceries

ezkajii
2015-06-11, 08:16 AM
It's fine, I think; I'm having trouble coming up with a situation in which you'd play it for its fuseback cost - the two effects seem like they'd want to be played at different times during the turn. I'm sure there's an application for it, though - I'm just not thinking of it. That said, it's not overpowered or overcosted, so it works all around.

Living Compost 3B
Creature - Zombie Golem - U
Coloursickness - If G was not used to pay for Living Compost, it enters the battlefield tapped.
Flashback 5G
5/4

Challenge: A mill card somehow tied to red.

braveheart
2015-06-11, 11:05 AM
Flashback doesn't work on creatures, however you could easily give it an ability that lets you put it into the battlefield for the same cost, as a whole it is a balanced card if that issue were fixed

Burn the Books 2R
Sorcery - R
Each player discards their hand and puts the top X cards of their library into their graveyard where X is the total number of cards discarded then each player draws 3 cards

Let's see an angel, demon or dragon

ezkajii
2015-06-11, 11:54 AM
Re: Critique - oh, whoops. I was thinking of "You may cast ~ from your graveyard for COST."

Re: Burn the Books - should say "discarded in this way." Otherwise, seems very printable. Super dangerous in a 4-player match though.

Otherworld Ambassador 2WPP
Creature - Angel - MR
Warpstrike
Whenever you would sacrifice a creature, exile it instead. You may use the activated abilities of any creature exiled in this way by paying its activation cost plus PP.
3/3

Challenge: A demon/angel flip or transform card.

braveheart
2015-06-11, 12:36 PM
It's good, but warpstrike had a cost associated to it, also because that ability was made by this forum you should always try to include the reminder text, if you can't remember it exactly paraphrasing it usually helps
(When this creature becomes blocked you may pay [cost] if you do exile ~ then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking)

Ayanna Nerrine Ascended 3WW
Creature - Angel - R
Flying, Lifelink
When ~ would die you may pay 2BB and transform ~ instead
4/4

//

Ayanna Nerrine Fallen
Creature - Demon - R
Flying, trample, Deathtouch, Protection from white
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent you may pay 2 life if you do draw 1 card
6/6

Make a noncreature permanent

Jormengand
2015-06-11, 12:52 PM
Also, warpstrike is blue-purple not white-purple. :p

Anyway, it's fine. I guess. Bit over-complicated, but not going to do anything too awful.

Unstable Runes 3
Artifact - U
Unstable Runes enters the battlefield with three rune counters on it.
R, remove a rune counter from Unstable Runes: Unstable Runes deals 2 damage to target creature or player. Then if there are no rune counters on Unstable Runes, sacrifice it.

Next: Another artifact.

ezkajii
2015-06-11, 01:11 PM
My mistake, I thought warpstrike was like first strike, it just always activates. In that case I guess it should have cost 0 or P.

Unstable runes - Seems pretty decent, one card and a total of 3RRR to essentially cast shock three times over three turns. Build that in with a proliferate deck and you're in business.

Portal to the Plane of Guardians 3
Artifact - Uncommon
Indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control no other creatures, put a 1/1 Myr Soldier token onto the battlefield.

Challenge: A legendary artifact that isn't a creature.

Jormengand
2015-06-11, 01:20 PM
Reasonable. You could have given it Standalone, but that wouldn't have changed the effect.

Resurgent Vault 2
Legendary Artifact - MR
Protection from you
Resurgent vault enters the battlefield tapped and doesn't untap during your untap step. Abilities that say "Untap" don't untap it.
Q: Skip your next turn.
T: Take another turn after this one.

Oh hey there Time Vault, I've been missing you.

Next: Another fixed version of an old card.

enderlord99
2015-06-11, 02:08 PM
That works, I suppose.

Neutered Howler {2}{G}{G}
Creature ó Wolf C
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to three cards named ~, reveal them, and put them into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

2/2

Something that uses both definitions of "counter."

@v All I changed was the name; I deliberately misinterpreted the challenge because it was funny.

Zaydos
2015-06-11, 02:21 PM
I like it, kind of, feels a bit expensive for what it does, and almost wish it was something like 1G when you cast ~ you may pay 3 if you do search your library for... so the first one is a 5 drop that gets you 3 grizzlies in your hand or you can just use them as bears. But that might be too good for a common. I can see maybe using it in a pauper deck or if I got a set in sealed (maybe a 2HG tournament).

Edit: Wait isn't that just a functional reprint of a card that came out back when creatures were, as a rule, bad?

Edit 2: Yeah, the power creep kills it now though :smallfrown:

Hungry Plax GUU
Instant U
Counter target spell which targets a creature you control and put X +1/+1 counters on that creature where X is the converted mana cost of the countered spell.
(Simic Watermark)
"Life is never fixed no matter how it is made. Look to the plax created by our predecessors, and look how it has changed and evolved." -Prime Speaker Zeganna

Challenge: Something Time Spiral-y.

ezkajii
2015-06-11, 02:39 PM
Ooh, I really like that. I would never not play that. The only criticism I can think of is that it might deserve one more cost, but even then probably not. But an instant that turns harm into help is right up my alley.

Accumulating Acceleration
Enchantment - R
Accumulating Acceleration is blue.
Suspend X - XUU
Sorceries you cast have flash, and instants you cast have split-second.
Accumulating Acceleration enters the battlefield with X time counters on it. At the beginning of your end step, remove a time counter from it. When it has no time counters on it, sacrifice it.

Challenge: A vampire in a color other than black or red.

braveheart
2015-06-11, 06:27 PM
Interesting, it's seems very strong, but by the time you get the mana to cast it for any duration, the game will be mostly over.

Simic Vampire 3UG
Creature - Vampire Mutant - R
Evolve
Whenever a creature damaged by ~ this turn dies put a +1/+1 counter on target creature
"What is it"
"Well it drinks blood so I guess we'll call it a vampire"

Another creature outside of its usual colors for its creature type

r2d2go
2015-06-12, 04:25 AM
There's a difference between something off color and just straight putting things in the wrong place. This is the latter - There's no good reason it should be (and no, "it drinks blood, hey let's call it a vampire" is not a good reason). It's not even a matter of the card itself - the two abilities have similarities, and could be interesting with each other. It's the fact that you literally just took a vanilla vampire, slapped a Simic keyword on it, and called it Simic Vampire.

Not to mention lack of P/T.

It could be alright though, with a little more shaping and perhaps a 3/3 body.

Eludecia, Succubus Paladin 2WW
Creature - Demon Warrior R
W - ~ gets +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn. Activate this ability only if ~ is blocking or blocked by a black creature.
W - Target creature must block ~ this turn if able.
4/4

Challenge - Another 4/4 for 4.

enderlord99
2015-06-12, 05:21 AM
I guess that works. Yeah... yeah, that works.

Foreman {4}
Creature - Human Citizen MR (un)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, slap that player in the forehead with mild-to-moderate force.
{4},{T}, yell the word "fortify" at the top of your lungs: Target wall gets +4/+4 until end of turn.
"What was that thing you yell in golf?..."
4/4

An 8/8 ate {8} (interpret that request however you wish.)

ezkajii
2015-06-12, 07:51 AM
A mostly reasonable un-card. I'd prefer it gave the walls +0/+4. Also I think this probably doesn't need to be mythic, just regular rare should work.

Warmaw of Ulamog 8
Creature - Eldrazi - R
{1}, Sacrifice a creature: put a +1/+1 counters on Warmaw of Ulamog.
Whenever Warmaw of Ulamog has 8 or more +1/+1 counters on it, it gains Trample and Annihilator 8.
8/8

Challenge: A 2/2 for 2 in 2 colors with 2 keywords and/or activated abilities

Ninjaman
2015-06-12, 10:50 AM
It is way too clunky. You have to sac eight creatures to make is usable, that's really bad.

Wojek Cleric - WR
Creature - Goblin Cleric - R
W, T: Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
R, T: The next time a source would deal damage to target creature or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that creature or player instead.
2/2

A non-blue counterspell (yes they exist, and no this challenge is no excuse for awful colorbleed)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-12, 12:54 PM
It is way too clunky. You have to sac eight creatures to make is usable, that's really bad.

Wojek Cleric - WR
Creature - Goblin Cleric - R
W, T: Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.
R, T: The next time a source would deal damage to target creature or player this turn, it deals that much damage plus 2 to that creature or player instead.
2/2

A non-blue counterspell (yes they exist, and no this challenge is no excuse for awful colorbleed)

A pretty straightforward guildmage-type card. I'd probably recommend you adjust the second ability a bit so it can be an uncommon. Even a switch to giving +0/+3 and +3/+0 wouldn't be that functionally different, and would even leave room for flavor text.

Maintain Order W
Instant - U
Cast Maintain Order only during your turn.
Counter target spell.

(Alternates:
Disallow W
Instant - C
Counter target artifact or enchantment spell.

Hymn of Disruption BB
Instant - R
Counter target spell unless its controller discards two cards at random.)

Challenge! Make a non-flying bird.

braveheart
2015-06-12, 02:31 PM
All of those counters are too cheap mana wise, at least with wizards current policy on counters, they should each cost at least 2 mana

Ostrich Rider 2R
(picture of a goblin holding a spear and trying to look intimidating, while it's foot is in an ostriches beak)
Creature - Goblin, Bird - U
Haste
'Nip-'nip revolutionized war for his tribe when an ostrich attacked him
3/2

(Response to critique:
Yes it was supposed to cost 2R and I have now fixed it)

Something flavorful

Jormengand
2015-06-12, 02:50 PM
Is it supposed to cost 2R? Seems a bit odd that it should be colourless and so cheap. But then, should probably be C rather than U if costing 2R.

Desert Spices 6
Artifact - R
Sacrifice a random creature you control, T: Put a 5/5 colourless wurm creature token onto the battlefield under your control.

Next: Something else that's a reference to something.

ezkajii
2015-06-12, 04:12 PM
As far as I can tell, it looks good. Desert Spices in a wide token deck is glorious. It's a good thing you made it a tap ability too.
In unrelated news, does anyone know why WotC spells it "wurm" instead of "worm"?

Suction Cannon 1
Artifact - Equipment
Sacrifice a creature with toughness 1: Put a charge counter on Suction Cannon.
Remove a charge counter from Suction Cannon: equipped creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
Equip 1

(Ratchet & Clank weapon)

Next challenge: Something that creates or otherwise interacts with Eldrazi Spawn tokens.

braveheart
2015-06-12, 04:14 PM
I have an issue with anything that effect a random permanent, of any kind, because it is difficult to determine a method of randomization, and cumbersome to do. Also if the card just had you sac a creature you chose it would be too strong, so fur balance the random works.

Summon Bigger Fish 3U
Sorcery - R
Put a token copy of the creature with the highest combined power and toughness on the battlefield, onto the battlefield under your control. Put a +1/+1 counter on it

Make a clone with a twist

mystic1110
2015-06-12, 04:25 PM
Seeing that's its essentially clone with the same mana cost the question is whether the choice of creature is worth an extra +1/+1 - i think its fine since the occasionally you would want to clone a lower P/T creature for whatever reason - but this is close to strictly better IMO.

Meddling Pretender 4UW
Creature - Shapeshifter R
When you cast ~ you may choose target creature. Meddling Pretender enters the battlefield as a copy of that creature, and return that creature to its owner's hand.
The chosen creature can't be cast.
0/0

Create a Red Green Blue card that is not Temur

braveheart
2015-06-12, 05:13 PM
Interesting, not only do you take it off the battlefield but you keep other copies from being played, the cost is right for that, and I like it overall

Riku's Mirror U(R/G)
Artifact - R
T:UR, or UG

(Probably only worth a card slot in a Riku EDH deck)

Something black or white

Jormengand
2015-06-12, 05:28 PM
If you meant "T: Add UR or UG to your mana pool"... that's pretty strong. Like, pretty good mana accel.

Live W//Let Die B
Sorcery - U
You gain 3 life//Each player sacrifices a creature
Fuse

Next: A planeswalker based on Shring the Artist (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural).

ezkajii
2015-06-12, 07:45 PM
I don't have much to say, it's a nice, simple card that seems to be costed appropriately.

Shring, Death Artist 3BB
Planeswalker - Shring - MR
+2 - Play a creature card from your graveyard, paying its normal mana cost.
-5 - Put all exiled creature cards you own into your graveyard.
-14 - Put all creatures from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. They have haste until end of turn.

Next: Another card based on something from this thread (http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural)!

enderlord99
2015-06-12, 08:06 PM
EDIT: I was ninja'd, but it still fits, so...

I spent so long making the upcoming card that I forgot what the previous one was; I therefore can't critique it. Sorry!

Shring, Worldsculpter {B}{B}{B}{B}{U}{W}{G}{R}
Planeswalker - Shring - MR
{+1}Target creature gains or loses Flying until end of turn.
{0}Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
{-X}Sacrifice X untapped lands you control. ~ deals X damage to each creature you don't control, each opponent, and each planeswalker (This includes itself). Damage dealt this way cannot be prevented or redirected. Permanents dealt damaged this way cannot be regenerated this turn. Players dealt damage in this way cannot gain life this turn.
[1]

Designer's notes: Hopefully I didn't overdo the balancing factors...

Challenge: Something else that costs four mana of one standard colour and one of each other standard colour OR something that costs {P}{P}{P}{P}{P} plus one mana of each standard colour. (Hopefully that wasn't too specific.)

r2d2go
2015-06-12, 08:20 PM
Costs way too much/way too weirdly. It's a very hard to cast eight mana for something that could honestly be 3 mana in one color. The more minor problem is that it's not very black - only the second ability is black, the third is a little black but heavily white, the first is blue.

Diversity WUBRRRRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Incarnation MR
As long as a creature you control has Flying, other creatures you control have flying. The same is true for first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, lifelink, protection, reach, trample, hexproof, and vigilance.
When ~ is in a graveyard, each other creature you control gets +1/+0 for each creature subtype among creatures you control.
6/6

Challenge - Something mono colored. Bonus points if it has no text that isn't an existing keyword or ability word, yet creates an interesting interaction (e.g. Provoke and Bushido).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-12, 08:40 PM
So, you play this in your changeling (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[changeling]) deck and swing with the world's best Overrun variant. :smalltongue: Pretty cute, and the gimmick is tempting enough that someone would probably try to reanimate it for a turn-2 kill somehow.

Okay, easy mode:

Gazing Marauder 4GG
Creature - Gorgon U
Deathtouch, Trample
4/4

Challenge! Make something with a triggered ability and an indirect way to trigger itself.

Ninjaman
2015-06-13, 08:32 AM
Seems about right. Deathtouch and trample is quite powerful on the same card, but at a below curve creature at uncommon it seems fair enough.

I feel like the challenge needs some examples but i'll give it a shot.

Lifeblossom Oak - 2GG
Creature - Treefolk - R
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, gain 2 life.
2/5

Make a card advantage engine that doesn't put cards in your hand.

Jormengand
2015-06-13, 09:15 AM
Seems to be a fairly direct way of triggering itself, but there we go. :smalltongue: It's fine.

Gem of Spell-eating 8
Artifact - R
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, that opponent discards a card.
The gem crushes the hopes and dreams of those who simply glance upon it.

Next: Another artifact with CMC>7

Ninjaman
2015-06-13, 10:13 AM
That's a quite powerful effect, but 8 mana is too much, i would probably say 6.

Infinity Pendulum - 8
Artifact - M
T: Draw a card.
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, untap Infinity Pendulum.

A cmc 0 artifact.

ezkajii
2015-06-13, 03:23 PM
Oh jeez, that's nice. I feel like it should probably be Legendary though, so you're not farming 4+ cards every turn.
Ok, here goes (maybe I'll get lucky and get feedback on this one):

Transmuter Mox 0
Artifact - U
X, T: Add X mana to your mana pool, divided in any way among the different mana colors. Transmuter Mox deals damage to you for every 2 mana spent to activate this ability.

Next Challenge: Something that's very, very [color].

Zaydos
2015-06-13, 04:00 PM
Transmuter Mox 0
Artifact - U
X, T: Add X mana to your mana pool, divided in any way among the different mana colors. Transmuter Mox deals damage to you for every 2 mana spent to activate this ability.

So a 0 cost artifact that fixes all your mana, but damages you if you fix more than 2 a turn. It should definitely be Rare, and should probably be a 1 drop as well. At which point it's an interesting alternative to Chromatic Lantern, slightly more limited and no additional mana, but something you can get out a lot sooner. If you want to keep the Moxen reference in the mana cost, make it "1, T: Add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool" re-usable mana fixer not great but usable.

Next Challenge: Something that's very, very [color].

Emerald Wurm GGGG
Creature - Wurm R
Hexproof, Trample
5/5

Challenge: Make something that's very White.

r2d2go
2015-06-13, 04:04 PM
It's certainly very green, and would probably see play somewhere (compare to Phyrexian Obliterator, I suppose, even though the Obliterator is still miles ahead). Not much else to say, but it's a good card :smalltongue:

Opal Archangel WWWW
Creature - Angel R
Flying
At the beginning of each upkeep, gain life equal to the number of humans you control.
5/5

Challenge: Continue the cycle, or make a big artifact creature.

Jormengand
2015-06-13, 04:11 PM
Heh, it works, I suppose.

You know what you've done. Now I have to do both.

Diamond Golem 4
Artifact Creature - Construct R
Metalcraft - Diamond Golem gets Annihilator 1 as long as you control three or more artifacts.
5/5

Next: Continue the cycle, I guess.

Ninjaman
2015-06-13, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure why it has annihilator, it seems out of place. Generally it seems difficult to make something very colorless.

Ruby Giant - RRRR
Creature - Giant - R
Haste, Menace (This creature canít be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
5/5

A leviathan

r2d2go
2015-06-13, 04:57 PM
That might be a tad too strong. It might get played at straight haste, even. Maybe add in "whenever ~ takes damage, sacrifice it", or something like that?

Sapphire Leviathan UUUU
Creature - Leviathan R
Islandwalk
Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay UU. If you do, choose one:
Target land becomes an island until end of turn.
Tap target permanent. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.5/5

You cannot escape! :smallbiggrin:

Challenge: Either finish off the cycle (black), or make something that has a drawback that can somehow be a benefit. Bonus points for both.

enderlord99
2015-06-13, 05:31 PM
That works! Very leviathan-y!

Onyx Demon {B}{B}{B}{B}
Creature - Demon - R
~'s power and toughness are each equal to the total number of counters of all types on it (before being altered in accordance with those counters.)
~ enters the battlefield with one -1/-1 counter and one charge counter on it.
{B}{B}{B}{B}{B}, {T}: Proliferate.
{B}{B}, {Q}: Move any number of counters of a single type from ~ to other permanents, distributed however you like. Activate this ability only during your turn, and only once per turn.
X/X

Designer's notes: Yes it's potent; OTOH, it effectively only starts with one toughness. Also, I know it isn't always 5/5; I don't care!

Something that costs either {S}{S}{S}{S} (snow mana) or {P}{P}{P}{P} (purple); ideally, it should be named "Quartz _____" in the former case or "Amethyst _____" in the latter case. Preferably a creature, too.

Jormengand
2015-06-13, 05:48 PM
That's really complicated and seems more green than black, which is odd given the point of this cycle.

Amethyst Purgator PPPP
Creature - Purgator R
Whenever a creature dies, exile it.
Otherworlder PPPP (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for PPPP)
5/5

Next: Snow quartz creature for this cycle.

r2d2go
2015-06-13, 06:22 PM
Sure, why not - it's probably not OP, though it is very hard to kill.

I will note that I think any challenge with purple should also have a reasonable non-purple option. Nothing against purple specifically - this applies to anything nonexistent in MtG. For example, it wouldn't be fair to require someone to use a mechanic that you made up, either.

On a related note, I don't think asking for something that costs SSSS is particularly good, but it's not completely unreasonable. So...

Quartz Yeti SSSS
Snow Creature - Yeti R
Whenever ~ attacks, put a snow counter on target land. It gains the Snow supertype. Quartz Yeti then gets +1/+1 for each snow land the defending player controls.
5/5

Challenge: Something that breathes fire.

Zaydos
2015-06-13, 06:32 PM
Quartz Yeti SSSS
Snow Creature - Yeti R
Whenever ~ attacks, put a snow counter on target land. It gains the Snow supertype. Quartz Yeti then gets +1/+1 for each snow land the defending player controls.
5/5

In a deck with snow lands it's a 5/5 for 4 which gets bigger. Reasonable for a rare which locks you out of/makes it harder to use good dual lands.

Challenge: Something that breathes fire.

Viashino Dragonblood R
Creature - Viashino Warrior R
R: ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn. Then if ~'s power is 5 or greater it gains flying until end of turn.
0/1

Challenge: Make a senator.

ezkajii
2015-06-13, 07:32 PM
I think it'd be fine at uncommon; I can't see it getting played much at rare. Also, and this may be a matter of personal preference, I would do "Whenever ~'s power is 5 or greater, ~ has flying." Not a huge difference though, and a nice simple red overall.

Senate Leader Divan 2WU
Planeswalker - Divan - MR
+1 - Choose one:
* Put two 1/1 white Soldier tokens onto the battlefield
* Put two 1/1 blue Wizard tokens onto the battlefield
-4 - Take control of target enchantment
-9 - You gain an emblem with "As long as you control at least one white or blue creature, you can't lose the game."

Next Challenge: Depletion lands - bringin 'em back!

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-14, 12:24 AM
I think the biggest potential problem here is that Divan can make a lot of tokens for a 4-mana thing. In constructed, that's fine; it's his only relevant ability, since an opponent can reasonably sandbag a board-clear spell until they're ready to kill you. In limited, though, the tokens can do a better job of defending him, and his last ability becomes really backbreaking. Maybe he just needs some playtesting, but I suspect he should cost a bit more for what he does.

EDIT: Then again, his last ability does take a good long while to go off even in the best of circumstances, so it might be fine anyway.

Lava Mine
Land - ???
Lava Mine enters the battlefield tapped with a depletion counter on it.
T: add {1} to your mana pool.
T, remove a depletion counter from Lava Mine: Add {R}{R} to your mana pool.

Challenge! Make another non-artifact, non-green means of mana acceleration.

braveheart
2015-06-14, 11:54 AM
It works, but I don't know why you made it's rarity ??? Otherwise it's a reasonable card that should probably be rare

Paladin of the New Harvest 3 WW
Creature - Human, Knight - R
Vigilance
When ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, untapped each permanent you control
3/5

Make a common

Jormengand
2015-06-14, 01:32 PM
Pretty mean, but probably not too powerful. Decent.

Urban Hunter 2G
Creature - Human Archer C
Citywalk
3/2

Next: Something else that would hose purple (though you might end up hosing another colour at the same time).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-14, 07:33 PM
I guess all I can really say here is that Wizards doesn't really like landwalk anymore. I guess the difference in a landwalk card's quality between matchups is too high? In any case, it's still potentially a good idea in the right context. ...I still think that you need a land type other than City, though.

I have a couple options, so see if you can pick a favorite:

Celestial Closer 2WW
Creature - Angel R
Flying
When Celestial Closer enters the battlefield, move any number of target cards in exile to the absolutely-removed-from-the-freaking-game-forever zone.
4/4

Orbital Defense Thopter 3
Artifact Creature - Thopter
Flying. Orbital Defense Thopter can block only creatures with flying.
Whenever a card would leave exile, instead put that card on the bottom of its owner's library.
1/3

Challenge! Make a card with Tromple. (Whenever this creature assigns enough damage to destroy all creatures blocking it, it deals its remaining damage to you.)

r2d2go
2015-06-15, 02:54 AM
Well, they're both pretty vanilla in most games. Neither is overpowered or particularly weak, so ok, I guess?

Backlash Krow R
Creature - Dragon U
Tromple
When ~ deals damage, sacrifice it.
Goblin children make a game out of pushing pebbles in its way. The resulting fireworks usually take someone's eye out, but it's all in good fun.
4/2

Challenge: Something else with something that could be described as "backlash".

Ninjaman
2015-06-15, 03:02 AM
I saw it before you had written the sac clause, and thought it was really insane, with it it's fine. It's possible you might even be able to get away with giving it haste (though it would definately be a good card then).

Tendrils of Darkness - 1B
Instant - R
Destroy target creature, you lose 3 life.

Make another removal spell.

mystic1110
2015-06-15, 10:18 AM
I personally think that is balanced. . . but wow is that strong.

Dirge for Wings W
Instant - U
Deal X damage to target creature, where X is the total amount of creatures with flying in each players graveyard.

Another card with X in the rules text, but not in the mana cost.

ezkajii
2015-06-15, 10:23 AM
Not necessarily super strong on its own/right away, but I worry that it has the potential to get extremely powerful later on. Then again, there are already plenty of cards scaled off graveyard counts in print that tend to get super powerful, so you're probably fine.

Chaos Inferno 3RRR
Sorcery - R
For each creature your opponent controls, flip a coin. Each time you flip a heads, deal X damage to that creature, where X is your devotion to red.
The most powerful flames are the most difficult to tame.

Next challenge: Another expensive instant/sorcery (CMC 6 or more please)

Jormengand
2015-06-15, 10:42 AM
Hmm... it's gonna be half a one-sided wrath, though I would point out that slamming it and Chance Encounter down would wreck most token decks hard.

Forgotten Power 5PPPP
Sorcery - MR
For each card in exile, you may put a sigil into your hand that's a copy of that card. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They leave the game when they're not in your hand or on the stack. Permanent sigils put a token copy on the battlefield when they resolve.)

Power of the Dead 5BBBB
Sorcery - MR
For each card in your graveyard, you may put that card into your hand.
I am not a creature of death, but it serves me well.

Next: Something that's 3 colours.

braveheart
2015-06-15, 12:38 PM
Both of those are really really strong, but at 9 mana, you am deserve that kind of power

Compsognathus 2WRG
Creature - Beast - R
First Strike
When this nontoken creature enters the battlefield, create 5 token copies of it
Whenever a ~ becomes blocked for each other untapped ~ you may tap them and deal 1 damage to the blocking creature.
If ~ is not blocked you may tap any untapped ~ to give the unblocked ~ +1/+0 until end of turn
"he's so cute" common last words in the hunting grounds of the Compsognathus
1/1

I watched Jurassic world yesterday and was disappointed by the lack of these guys so here you go

Make another dinosaur

Zaydos
2015-06-15, 01:00 PM
Compsognathus 2WRG
Creature - Beast - R
First Strike
Whenever a ~ becomes blocked for each other untapped ~ you may tap them and deal 1 damage to the blocking creature.
If ~ is not blocked you may tap any untapped ~ to give the unblocked ~ +1/+0 until end of turn
1/1

I watched Jurassic world yesterday and was disappointed by the lack of these guys so here you go

Interesting. I'd make it just:

Compsognathus 2WRG
Creature - Beast - R
First Strike
T: Target attacking ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn.
1/1

Doesn't give it firster strike (as the ping damage currently does), removes the question of what happens if it's multi-blocked, and just ends up somewhat cleaner. Also probably should only create 4 copies (5 power + 5 toughness with first strike being pretty standard for 5 mana with its versatility making up the rest), and leaves it a great combo with Intangible Virtue (http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardsearch.php?singlesearch=Intangible+Virtue).

Make another dinosaur

Runescale Raptor 2RG
Creature - Lizard Beast U
First Strike, Hexproof
4/2

Challenge: A prehistoric treefolk.

ezkajii
2015-06-15, 01:11 PM
The wording is extremely complicated right now. I would change it to "When Compsognathus enters the battlefield, if it is not a token, put 5 tokens onto the battlefield which are copies of Compsognathus.
T: Give a creature named Compsognathus +1/+0 until end of turn.
T: Deal 1 damage to target creature which is blocking a creature named Compsognathus.

Otherwise, I think it's good. You've got the token creation under green, ally effects under white, ping for red, rare for complexity and 1/1 seems on point too.

Dread Tyrannosaur 4GG
Creature - Lizard U
Infect, trample
3/3

Runescale Raptor seems nice and straightforward. I'd love to see flavor text for it, but obviously that doesn't affect the card's design at all.

Fernkin Ravager 6G
Creature - Elder Treefolk Lord
Reach, trample
Plant and treefolk creatures you control have +1/+1 and trample.
In the deepest, darkest heart of the jungle, an ancient protector lies still-undefeated. And for good reason.
3/5

Next: A card which is strongly one color, but would make a good addition to another-colored deck.

r2d2go
2015-06-15, 05:43 PM
With your current wording, you don't need to put Trample on it, since it affects itself. Not overwhelming in raw power, but it's a lord with Hexproof, so it's not bad.

Shadowblast XXB
Sorcery - U
You may sacrifice any number of creatures as an additional cost to cast ~. Each creature you sacrifice pays for 2 mana.
Target player loses X life.

Works for any swarm aggro deck, really. I wonder if the first line could be a keyword...

Challenge: Something else that causes sacrifices.

braveheart
2015-06-15, 07:21 PM
A nice kill shot, and it's well coated considering the sac bonus

Vital strike 1B
Instant - R
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrifice a creature
Target opponent sacrifices the creature they control with the highest power among creatures they control.

Make something blue and green

r2d2go
2015-06-15, 08:34 PM
Compare to Bone Splinters (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=239983), which has probably about the same effect power for B at common, and is considered not great. This could probably cost B and let you target a creature to be sacrificed, or have one of those and be uncommon.

Spineback Krasis UG
Creature - Krasis U
Evolve
R, T, Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player.
0/2

Challenge: Something else with two colors, and an ability in a third color.

ezkajii
2015-06-16, 09:37 AM
Overall, it doesn't seem especially blue, but it's really interesting and flavorful card, I like it!

Ancient Arcanovore 4BB
Creature - Elder Dragon - R
Ancient Arcanovore's power is equal to the amount of red mana used to cast it. If it was put onto the battlefield without paying its mana cost, its controller may choose to spend up to 4 red mana when it enters the battlefield; if mana is spent in this way, that total determines its power.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Ancient Arcanovore this turn dies, you may pay U. If you do, draw a card.
*/6

Next Challenge: Something WUBRG

braveheart
2015-06-16, 10:39 AM
Hmm, it could probably use a slight buff, maybe give it fire breathing as well, because as it stands it is fairly weak for its mana cost.

Skri-Strave Sparked Sliver WUBRG
Plainswalker - Skri-Strave MR
+1: put a colorless 1/1 sliver creature token onto the battlefield under your control
-2: search your library for a sliver, reveal it and place it in your hand
-4: Search your library for a sliver, reveal it and put it onto the battlefield under your control
-7: gain an emblem with "slivers you control have Annihilator 1"

Make a plainswalker

Ninjaman
2015-06-16, 04:19 PM
I don't think you need both tutor abilities. I think for those color restristrictions you could get away with his plus being +2 and then ultimating at -10. I really like the ultimate though.

Yrland Shadowwalker - 2UB
Planeswalker - Yrland - M
+1: Target creature gains shadow until the beginning of your next upkeep.
-2: Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
-6: You get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card and target opponent loses 2 life."

Make a non-human non-white knight.

r2d2go
2015-06-16, 06:04 PM
Seems a little weak. +1 is good but not insane (especially in a set with Shadow), -2 is alright, but with only one or two uses isn't worth 4 mana and the delay, and the -6 is only worth a bit more than the 4 mana entry fee. I'd put this at 1UB.

Black zombie knight would be too easy, so... :smalltongue:

Whelpguard Lancer RRG
Creature - Dragon Knight R
Image: A barbarian with a bone lance rides a small, grounded dragon, circling a nest of even smaller dragon hatchlings.
First Strike, Trample
Whenever ~ attacks, if you control another dragon, you may have target creature block ~ this turn if able.
3/2

Challenge: Another card that combines two subtypes.

ezkajii
2015-06-17, 09:14 AM
Pretty solid all around, I think you could probably get away with it at uncommon; as is it's a mediocre rare. The only real critique though that I would have is that I'm not sure I understand the flavor connection with the second-line ability there.

Egudiral, Eternal 11
Creature - Eldrazi Dragon - R
Flying, protection from instants and sorceries
Whenever Egudiral, Eternal has power greater than its base power, it gains Annihilator X, where X is one-half the increase to its power.
9/9

Next: Something with "Activate this ability only if..."

Ninjaman
2015-06-17, 11:14 AM
It lacks legendary supertype. Also that wording is both wrong and unnecessarily complicated.

Goblin Bauble - 2
Artifact - C
T: Scry 1
T, Sacrifice Goblin Bauble: Goblin Bauble deals 3 damage to target creature or player, ativate this ability only if you control a goblin.

Make another tribal artifact.

@V It's really awkward, and the easy answer is that i would have done it completely differently, but if I had to it would be something like "Egudiral, Eternal has annihilator X, where X is half it's power minus nine, rounded down. (Or up)"

ezkajii
2015-06-17, 11:43 AM
Re: critique - how would you do the wording differently?

Re: Goblin Bauble - interesting. Sort of a general-purpose magical trinket, I like the flavor on that. I think it's right on-cost too.

Heaven's Gate 3W
Artifact - U
Sacrifice a Human: Put a white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield. Its power and toughness are equal to the base power and toughness of the sacrificed Human.

Or did you mean specifically with the Tribal Supertype?

Next: Another artifact with color association of some kind.

Heaven's Gate 4
Artifact - U
W, T: Target Human creature loses all subtypes and abilities and gains the Angel subtype and flying.

r2d2go
2015-06-17, 03:31 PM
So, give all your vanilla humans flying, as well as triggering all sorts of etb/death synergy? Sure, why not.

[email protected]^: Nah, that's just unplayable. Your original was fine.

Temur Claw 2
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and Trample.
(R/U)G - Equip ~ to target creature with power 4 or more.
Equip 4

Challenge: Something else that equips at instant speed. Or, something else that grants Trample.

braveheart
2015-06-17, 03:54 PM
Fits the flavor of temure, but it should probably only be 3 to equip normally

Hidden Weapons 2U
Instant - U
You may equip each equipment you control to any creature you control
The most dangerous weapon is the one already inside you

A sorcery that does something to/with enchantments

Ninjaman
2015-06-17, 03:57 PM
Look at cranial plating, it's called attach. Other than that it's good. It's balanced and interesting and with the correct rarity. Might be able to get away with equip only costing 3 though.

Assassin's Stilleto - 2
Artifact - Equipment - R
Flash
When Assassin's Stilleto enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target assassin or rogue creature you control.
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has deathtouch.
Equip - 2

^@
It should be white, other than that it's great.

Juindin's Memory - 1W
Sorcery - U
Search your library for an enchantment card, reveal it, and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library
Relics, palaces, even kingdoms crumble to dust, but a pure vision can never be completely destroyed.

Make an aura that doesn't give card disadvantage.

r2d2go
2015-06-17, 04:29 PM
@Stilleto - I'd be wary of this at just 2 colorless mana for +2/+0 Deathtouch until EoT on an instant. The fact that this attaches without an extra cost, then continues generating death, makes me think it's a little too strong. I'd peg it at 3 mana, at least.

@Tutor - Seeing as it's Idyllic Tutor for 1 less at a lower rarity, I think this might be under costed. Depends on the set, I suppose.

Solemnity 2WW
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, Lifelink and Vigilance.
When enchanted creature dies, attach Solemnity to target creature you control.

Challenge: Something else that triggers when something specific dies.

Ninjaman
2015-06-18, 12:29 AM
The wording is wrong, you need to return Solemnity to the battlefield attached to a creature. Other than that it's fine.

Eyeless Ghoul - 1B
Creature - Zombie - C
Eyeless ghoul can't block.
When Eyeless Ghoul dies, each player discards a card.
2/2

Make another zombie.

ezkajii
2015-06-18, 08:59 AM
Nice and simple, and versatile with respect to deckbuilding. I like it.

Risen Martyr 3B
Creature - Zombie - U
When Risen Martyr enters the battlefield, if another creature you controlled died this turn, Risen Martyr copies all abilities of that creature. It gains all the creature types of the copied creature.
2/1

Next: A card representing a group of creatures.

Jormengand
2015-06-18, 02:08 PM
That's weird, because unless you give it flash or your opponent kills your stuff with instants, it basically has to copy something you deliberately got killed.

Bandit Gang 3R
Sorcery - U
Put 4 1/1 red human creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield under your control.
Now, heroes, you stand no chance against me, for I am actually four blokes!

Next: Something else which makes tokens (or sigils, if you're feeling adventurous and can remember what they do).

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 02:13 PM
Bandit Gang 3R
Sorcery - U
Put 4 1/1 red human creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield under your control.
Now, heroes, you stand no chance against me, for I am actually four blokes!

Definitely (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270788) undercosted (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249689).

Next: Something else which makes tokens (or sigils, if you're feeling adventurous and can remember what they do).

Sigils have too many memory issues.

Herbert West, Re-animator B
Legendary Creature - Human Scientist R
Morbid - 1B, T: Put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only if a creature died this turn.
1/1

Challenge: Something Blue.

mystic1110
2015-06-18, 02:28 PM
That's an excellent card!

Delver of Mysteries UU
Creature - Human Rogue R
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the top card of your library. If an instant or sorcery card is revealed this way, transform ~
There are some books you aren't meant to open.
5/3
//
Brain Dead Researcher
Creature - Human Rogue R
Your maximum hand size is Zero.
She knew too much
0/1

(The idea is that it is a great pure aggro card, but requires a heavy blue commitment - but blue would hate to sacrifice its spells)

Create another card with transform

r2d2go
2015-06-18, 03:14 PM
Here's the problem, though... it's a 5/3 for 2. A massive drawback in deck building doesn't change that. The existence of this card would push mono-blue aggro into existence and mess up the color pie. It's just... Not something that should exist in blue.

Not that mono blue Transform can't exist...

Frantic Researcher 1UU
Creature - Wizard R
At the end of each turn, if you've drawn five or more cards that turn, transform ~.
1/3

Archmagus of Mist
Creature - Elemental Wizard R
Flying, Hexproof, Prowess
Your noncreature spells cost U less.
2/4

Challenge: Something else monocolored.

Ninjaman
2015-06-18, 03:48 PM
It seems like it just tries too hard. Much of the time it is far too weak, and if you manage to trigger it it is far too strong. Even then the flipped side is very unelegant. Also the discount ability is worded wrong.

That's an incredibly wide challenge but alright.

Tibalt's Cackler - 2R
Creature - Devil - C
When Tibalt's Cackler enters the battlefield, draw a card, then discard a card at random.
3/2

Make another common.

mystic1110
2015-06-18, 04:26 PM
Good Common is Good. Not much else to say about it:

Plowshare G
Creature - Human Soldier Druid C
When Plowshare enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.
Swords for Plowshares is a fair trade
0/1

Create a non-red card that has a non-red color word in its rules text

r2d2go
2015-06-18, 05:09 PM
Compare to a straight land - you pay G more for a 0/1 and a choice of basic lands. Seems strong when compared to Evolving Wilds, but probably fine since it forces green.

...isn't being weak, then strong, exactly what transform is for? :smallconfused: there are way swingier transforms out there.

Stand United W
Instant - U
Prevent the next X damage to target creature, where X is the number of white creatures you control.

Challenge: Another 1 mana instant. Bonus points if it's a counterspell.

Ninjaman
2015-06-18, 06:19 PM
It could count non-white creatures as well, and be a common. It's a much worse stave off the vast majority of the time.

Most swingy transforms are better controlled, less risk of doing nothing, less chance of being insane.

Counterspell it is.

Meeksqual - U
Instant - U
Counter target creature spell with converted mana cost 2 or less.
The week do not even deserve to be born.
-Nicol Bolas

Another counterspell.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-18, 07:02 PM
Spell Snare is already really good, though... and if that quote is to be believed, how does Bolas manage his calendar? :smalltongue:

Hymn of Disruption UB
Instant - R
Counter target spell unless its controller discards two cards at random.

Challenge! Make a common creature with a tap ability that sacrifices a noncreature permanent.

Tom the Mime
2015-06-18, 07:11 PM
Seems okay. Very powerful for messing up someone's early game but made up for by relative lack of use later.

Spell siphon 2UU
Instant - R
Counter target spell. You may cast a spell from your hand with a converted mana cost less than our equal to the countered spell without paying it's mana cost and as though it had flash.

Don't think i phrased it right but it should get the idea across.

Make something that requires your opponent to be in a good position to be at it's most useful.

r2d2go
2015-06-18, 07:51 PM
Spell Snare is already really good, though... and if that quote is to be believed, how does Bolas manage his calendar? :smalltongue:

Hymn of Disruption UB
Instant - R
Counter target spell unless its controller discards two cards at random.

Challenge! Make a common creature with a tap ability that sacrifices a noncreature permanent.

Pretty good. I think it's been done before, but that's okay, I suppose.

Hulking Hurler 2R
Creature - Giant C
T, sacrifice a mountain: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Seems okay. Very powerful for messing up someone's early game but made up for by relative lack of use later.

Spell siphon 2UU
Instant - R
Counter target spell. You may cast a spell from your hand with a converted mana cost less than our equal to the countered spell without paying it's mana cost and as though it had flash.

Don't think i phrased it right but it should get the idea across.

Make something that requires your opponent to be in a good position to be at it's most useful.

"You may cast a spell from your hand with CMC less than or equal to the CMC of the countered spell without paying its mana cost and as if it had flash." Would be simpler and more balanced IMO if it just let you cast an instant.

Relentless Corruption 4BB
Sorcery - R
~ cannot be countered.
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is 1 plus the number of times ~ has been cast this turn.
Creaturestorm (When you cast this spell, cast a copy of it for each creature on the battlefield. Each copy must target a different creature.)

Note that this hits your own creatures as well, but you can make it hit them first (or sac them since you're playing black, or both).

Challenge: Another type of "storm" - Storm itself, Gravestorm, or something else (like the above).

Zaydos
2015-06-18, 08:00 PM
Hulking Hurler 3R
Creature - Giant R
T, sacrifice a mountain: Deal 4 damage to target creature or player.
4/1

Other than that the challenge said Common it's fine.

Rising Sickness 2BB
Sorcery - R
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is 1 plus the number of times ~ has been cast this turn.
Creaturestorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each creature on the battlefield. Each copy must target a different creature.)

Is it supposed to specify you cast those copies? If it is, it's too cheap, too likely to end up as a one sided field wipe, or at least wipe only part of your field and all of theirs. As it is, the copies aren't cast so it is "All creatures without hexproof/shroud/prot black get -1/-1 until end of turn" or for 2 cards and 8 mana -3/-3.

Ninja edit is better, but really shouldn't have the can't be countered clause because it's still a relatively cheap 1 sided field wipe,

Challenge: Another type of "storm" - Storm itself, Gravestorm, or something else (like the above).

Future's Found and Lost UU
Sorcery - R
Target player looks at the top 3 cards of their library and puts 2 into their graveyard and 1 back on top of their library.
Thought Storm (When you cast this spell copy it for each card any player has drawn this turn.)

Challenge: Make a card which uses Scry.

ezkajii
2015-06-19, 12:47 AM
Potential memory issues, and it might fit better at UB or {U/B}{U/B} than UU, but overall it's a neat design.

Memory Transplant XUB
Sorcery - R
Discard X cards, then scry X+1. Then, draw X+2 cards and exile one of them.

Next Challenge: Something 4-color.

r2d2go
2015-06-19, 01:32 AM
Potential memory issues, and it might fit better at UB or {U/B}{U/B} than UU, but overall it's a neat design.

Memory Transplant XUB
Sorcery - R
Discard X cards, then scry X+1. Then, draw X+2 cards and exile one of them.

Next Challenge: Something 4-color.

It's certainly interesting. Very good if you have less than X cards in your hand. I think this could just be "Discard X cards, scry X+1, then draw X+1 cards." without changing much, though.

Voracious Nephilim UBRG
Creature - Nephilim R
Discard a card, pay 5 life, sacrifice a land, or sacrifice a creature - Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: ~ gains Hexproof, Deathtouch, First Strike or +2/+2 until end of turn.
Flesh, souls, knowledge or even the land itself - It consumes all.
2/2

Challenge: Another card that both gains and loses something.

Ninjaman
2015-06-19, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty sure this kills too easily. You play it, and is hard to kill thanks to hexproof, your opponent needs a blocker, if he doesn't, or he has and you remove it, you can easily sac and discard everything to give it +18/+18. Without the pump it would be fine (could even have bigger body then).

Idol of the Masses - 1GG
Creature - Avatar - R
Idol of the Masses enters the battlefield with three +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Idol of the Masses
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, remove a +1/+1 counter from Idol of the Masses
0/0

Another avatar.

mystic1110
2015-06-19, 10:53 AM
I feel that is too strong - especially when you consider that Spell Snare is already super strong. I know yours is creature only, but you also can't play around it by having creatures with a CMC of 1 . . . but maybe I am being a scaredy cat

Mathematical Refutation U
Instant C
Counter target spell with converted mana cost 2 or less unless it's controller pays 2.

My take on a balanced Spellsnare - mixing it with Mana Leak?

Another Counter Spell

ezkajii
2015-06-19, 11:21 AM
Really interesting concept. On its own it seems perfectly well-balanced; I'm trying to run through various other ability interactions and such but all in all I think it's good.

Epitome of Hyperbole (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1284973/) 7GW
Legendary Enchantment Creature - Avatar - MR
Whenever you would put a counter on a permanent you control, proliferate.
Graft 5
0/0

Mystic: It's fine, maybe a little weak. Not very useful beyond the first few turns, unfortunately. Maybe make it XU, counter spell with CMC X or less unless controller pays 2?

Absorb Arcana 3WU
Instant - U
Counter target spell. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.

Next Challenge: One of those skywalkers (flyer that can only block other flyers).

Edit: Mystic, you are correct! In the interest of avoiding a NI loop, it should read "Whenever you would put one counter on a permanent you control, put two counters of that type on it instead."

mystic1110
2015-06-19, 11:54 AM
Doesn't that cause it to go infinite as soon as you cast any creature? Proliferate triggers it and you keep proliferating away. . . . (proliferate is may so its not a tie game loop)

Cloud Dragon 3UR
Creature - Dragon R
Flying
Cloud Dragon can block only creatures with flying.
R: Cloud Dragon gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
U: Cloud Dragon gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn.
5/5

Create a gorgon

Ninjaman
2015-06-19, 02:17 PM
It seems silly that the blue activation is better than the red. Either make it U/R or make the U limited to -1/+1. Or just make colorless.

@ezkajii
I don't think that fixes the problem. Also the wording is wrong, it needs to be: "Whenever you would put a counter on a permanent you control, istead put a counter on that permanent, then proliferate."

Stonegaze Gorgon - 2BG
Creature - Gorgon - U
Deathtouch
Stonegaze gorgon must be blocked if able.
3/4

Another creature with deathtouch.

r2d2go
2015-06-19, 07:22 PM
Seems alright. 3/4 Deathtouch is pretty decent for the cost, upside makes it better, but it still isn't guaranteed value since it doesn't actually let you choose what it kills. Not super interesting, but not bad.

Remember, you can always just say "In response to adding a counter, I'll shock it." If your opponent has no bounce, burn, removal, or blockers, well... A lot of things will kill them, more easily and less risky than four colors and 9 sacrifices.

Blackfire Weird 2UBR
Creature - Weird R
Deathtouch
T, Exile an instant or sorcery you control: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Challenge: Something else weird.

Ninjaman
2015-06-19, 08:33 PM
I thougt that was really useless until I saw the deathtouch. I guess it turns all your spell into removal spells. Seems balanced enough.

In response to any of those except blockers you can just give it hexproof.

Enlightened Wierd - 3UR
Creature - Wierd - M
Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Mindbound Wierd.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may remove X +1/+1 counters from Enlightened Wierd where X is that card's converted mana cost, if you do, copy that spell, you may choose new targets for the copy.
3/4

Another Izzet card.

r2d2go
2015-06-19, 08:45 PM
Well, it's alright, but probably not mythic-strong. The counters make it reasonably big, and it's really good with cheap cantrips (e.g. Preordain), but other than that it probably won't do a whole lot. I'd like it better at one or two less and one or two less P/T.

Also, less important, but you need to change one of the two names you used.

Except you can't, which is why I noted it. If you cast removal in response to the sacrifice, the Nephilim doesn't have counters to use until after the sacrifice resolves, at which point it's dead or bounced. Unless you're building a UBRG graft deck, I guess.

Izzet Shockblocker 1UR
Creature - Weird Wizard R
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, choose one:
-Counter target spell with CMC 1.
-~ gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1

Challenge: Something else with multiple meanings. Or, another modal card.

Ninjaman
2015-06-19, 09:25 PM
The counter ability seems silly and pointless, I can't see why it's needed (aside from the pun).

And then you can sac/pay/discard in response to removal and remove the counter for hexproof.

Flaring Blade - R
Instant - C
Choose one -
Target creature gets +3/+0 until end of turn.
Destroy target equipment.

Another modal card.

r2d2go
2015-06-20, 06:58 AM
Well, it takes away the downside of most artifact removal (does nothing a lot of the time) at the cost of being equipment only. I can see this being turned down from print in a lot of sets, since not every set even has good equipment, but it's not bad.

If it didn't have it, it'd be pretty much straight red. As-is, it's a pretty a good anti-aggro blocker, and can protect itself against shocks, stop buffs (e.g. titans strength), shut down a lot of aggro's options (both regular one-drops and things like Goblin Bushwhack). That, rather than being a card that's basically strictly worse than a 2/1 first strike, which is worth maybe two mana. At that point I'd be stuck either buffing it to where it's got the power to be a finisher (the opposite of the intent, which is early anti-aggro), or making it cost (U/R) which would clearly be undercosted.

Unbound Invocation RUG
Instant - U
Choose one:
-Target creature gets +4/+2 until end of turn.
-Target creature gains flying, hexproof and trample until end of turn.
-Target creature gets +X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
Entwine 3 (You may choose to use all modes of this spell instead of just one. If you do, you pay an additional 3.)

Challenge: Something else which interacts with itself. Bonus points if you don't use entwine, or use it with 3+ options.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-21, 01:20 AM
This is kind of a weird one. Each one of the abilities is probably fine for the cost, as is the Entwine package, which will usually go all in on one creature as a finisher for some extra damage. Part of me wants to just focus on the middle ability and not worry about making it modal, but you have to work with the challenge, aye? :smalltongue:

Recycled Researcher 2B
Creature - Zombie Wizard C
If another card named Recycled Researcher is in your graveyard, Recycled Researcher costs 2 less to cast.
Cards you cast that share a name with a card in your graveyard cost 2 less to cast.
2/2

Challenge! A White wizard.

ezkajii
2015-06-22, 10:28 AM
As a non-legendary I'm worried that with a few tutor options you can easily have CMC4 or even up to CMC8 getting cast for free, which is a pretty huge advantage. I would make him legendary or make it a 1 mana reduction. I'm not the best at judging rarity stuff but I feel like this should be higher than common.

Elder Channeler 3W
Creature - Human Wizard - R
Whenever Elder Channeler enters the battlefield or attacks, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.
2/2

Next: Supertypes everywhere! A legendary enchantment artifact creature.

Jormengand
2015-06-22, 10:46 AM
It should probably be U not R - it's not exactly complicated. Or that good.

The Omnissiah 12
Legendary Enchantment Artifact Creature - God
Affinity for artifacts
If the total Converted Mana Cost of artifacts you control is less than 24, The Omnissiah isn't a creature.
Artifacts you control are indestructible.
Other noncreature artifacts you control are artifact creatures with power and toughness equal to their converted mana cost.
6/6

Next: Another god.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-22, 07:59 PM
Well, that's a lot of text, but it makes a reasonable amount of sense, especially for this particular challenge. It's funny how the very last thing it animates is itself. It's expensive, but doable for affinity-commander fun. Just remember that it breaks all of your Mox Shinies.

Phyrexis, Being of Corruption 3(phy/b)(phy/b)
Legendary Artifact Creature - God MR
As long as there are fewer than five poison and/or -1/-1 counters on creatures and/or players, this isn't a creature.
Indestructible, Infect
Other permanents you control have Infect.
2(phy/b), T: Phyrexis deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
4/5

(It's specifically the Black version of Phyrexian mana, as Phyrexian creatures were originally all Black anyway.)

Gaia, the Primordial Earth
Legendary Land Creature - God - (Green) MR
Indestructible
Gaia, the Primordial Earth enters the battlefield tapped.
As long as you control fewer than ten lands, Gaia is colorless and isn't a creature.
Other land creatures you control get +1/+1.
T: add {1} to your mana pool.
9/9

Challenge! Make a big white creature that's not a humanoid or a spirit. (It can be multicolored.)

r2d2go
2015-06-23, 06:19 AM
That is... quite horrifying. Fortunately, it's a bit redundant - you want to play it in a deck with a lot of infect, but then it doesn't have an anthem buff. Still, the fact that you can play it in a deck with no infect other than infect-givers, throw it out turn 3, and probably swing for lethal the next turn, is a bit scary. Shouldn't be too insane, though, as by the time you make it a creature, you've probably already fought hard and won.

As for Gaia... Seems like it'd take a very specific deck to get full value out of. Still, a 9/9 for 0 is pretty strong, so it's alright even with just straight land ramp.

I'm not going to use Angel either, since that'd be too easy :smalltongue:

Norn's Lawkeeper 3(ϕ/W)
Artifact Creature - Golem R
Defender, First Strike, Infect
~ can block any number of creatures.
2/3

Challenge: Another card that can block more than one creature at once. Bonus points if it's not just "~ can block X creatures".

ezkajii
2015-06-23, 08:48 AM
I don't know that it really qualifies as a "big" creature, but otherwise it seems fine.

Charnel Barrier 2BB
Creature - Zombie Wall - U
Defender
Whenever a creature dies, put a reach counter on Charnel Barrier. Charnel Barrier can block one additional creature for each reach counter on it.
0/6

Next: Something either snow-themed or using snow mana (or both!)

r2d2go
2015-06-23, 06:28 PM
Nice! It's quite usable, though at only 0/6 it might only need to cost 3. Or, maybe make it like a 2/6? Regardless, pretty cool.

And shoot, you're right. Originally it was a 4/6 and costed a lot more, but then I realized it wasn't doing what it was supposed to.

Savage Blizzard XSG
Instant - R
Deal X damage to each nonsnow creature and each player.
Creatures can't attack until end of turn.

Challenge: Another card that appends another type of mana to an existing card to add another effect.

Jormengand
2015-06-24, 09:04 AM
Being an instant - and therefore able to be used after your stuff has attacked - makes this a powerful off-colour one-sided wrath effect. Which I don't think you want.

Soulthief WB
Creature - Human Cleric C
T: You gain 1 life and target opponent loses 1 life.
1/1

Next: Another multicoloured common.

ezkajii
2015-06-24, 10:55 AM
I like it! Nice and straightforward, and just good enough that I'd play it.

Subdermal Pyrolysist BR
Creature - Human Wizard - C
Intimidate
R, T: Subdermal Pyrolysist deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Some fear the reaper. Others fear he who makes death slow and painful.
1/1

Hopefully that's not too much complexity for a common. Next challenge: Something in opposing colors.

TiaC
2015-06-24, 02:10 PM
I like the flavor, but the card doesn't really come together into a whole. It seems like the intimidate was just tacked on.

Lab Animal GU2
Creature - Mutant Beast -U
Whenever Lab Animal is the target of a spell or ability, the controller of that effect may copy it and choose a different target for the copy.
4/3

Make a card with a big and symmetrical effect.

Jormengand
2015-06-24, 04:02 PM
It's conventional to write mana costs in X1WUPBRGS order (variable, number, white, blue, purple, black, red, green, snow). So the mana cost would be 2UG. The actual card? It's weird, and it can probably be abused horribly (card deals AMOUNT OF damage divided as you wish between any number of target creatures or players: you would always target it even if you didn't want to assign damage to it).

One Chance 3UU
Enchantment - MR
Whenever a player casts a spell, if it wasn't the first spell that player cast this turn, counter it. (They can cast one spell for each player's turn)

Next: Another Mythic Rare with only one ability. The shorter and more punchy, the better.

ezkajii
2015-06-24, 04:22 PM
The only critique I can think of would just be that the name doesn't evoke the feeling of the card for me personally. The structure of the card itself is good.

Desperate Gambit 5BBB
Sorcery - MR
Each player's life total becomes 1.

Next Challenge: A colorless instant or sorcery.

r2d2go
2015-06-24, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure any effect like that can be balanced, if only because you play that with any sort of direct damage (or something that taps for damage, or Extort, or an unblockable attacker, or any number of things), and it becomes "win the game". It's not quite win for 8, but it's closer than most 8 drops should be. I'm unsure of how to alleviate that, though - maybe reduce to 5 or 3 for a smaller cost, since that way you don't die to pings?

...Uh, what? It only prevents attacking, so if you attack, your opponent can block just fine. It's also only slightly more of a wrath than Hurricane or Earthquake. I'm... actually somewhat unsure if you were critiquing my card or someone else's, but your card and the previous cards don't fit, so I assume you misread?

Ghostwave 4
Instant - U
Tap up to two target creatures.
Draw a card.

Challenge: Something else that taps things. Bonus points if it's not an instant or sorcery.

Zaydos
2015-06-24, 05:32 PM
Ghostwave 4
Instant - U
Tap up to two target creatures.
Draw a card.

Functional, no real reason for it to be colorless. I guess it works on eldrazi but *shrugs*

Challenge: Something else that taps things. Bonus points if it's not an instant or sorcery.

Terrible Webs 2GGG
Tribal Enchantment - Spider R
When ~ enters the battlefield put a web counter on each non-Spider creature and tap them.
Creatures with web counters on them do not untap during their controller's untap step and gain "3: Remove a web counter from this creature."
Whenever a Spider enters the battlefield you may put a web counter on target creature and tap it.

Challenge: Make a baloth.

ezkajii
2015-06-25, 09:01 AM
Wow, what a pain that would be to deal with! It looks like an interesting little interaction where, the web counters stay if the enchantment is destroyed, but they don't do anything. Also the web counter ability that triggers off a Spider entring the battlefield, are you allowed to tap and web-counter a Spider creature? That one doesn't specify. Really interesting effect, flavorful even though tap-don't-untap is usually blue, isn't it? I like it all the same.

Worldmauler Baloth 6GGG
Creature - Baloth - MR
Trample, annihilator 1
When Worldmauler Baloth enters the battlefield, choose one: Destroy target land; or search your deck for up to two land cards, and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Shuffle your library.
10/10

Next challenge: A dragon with at least one other (non-class) creature type. Zombie/skeleton is easy mode here, folks.

braveheart
2015-06-25, 11:07 AM
That's a hard one to judge for balance, but at the mana cost, almost anything can work, mechanically I like it as a massive win guy

Fluffscale the Cute 1R
(Picture of a sheep with a dragon's head hopping along and shooting tiny flames from its mouth)
Creature - Dragon, Sheep - R (un)
When ~ enters the battlefield, all players must say "awe" or "its so cute" or they lose the game for being heartless
R: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn
IT'S JUST DO ADORABLE
2/2

Another unglued card

Jormengand
2015-06-25, 11:34 AM
So... it's a slightly silly sheep with the half-dragon template? Sure?

Commoner G
Creature - Human Commoner C (Un)
Protection from noncommon creatures.
1/1

Next: Another 1-drop.

ezkajii
2015-06-25, 12:04 PM
It's good, but it should probably be white. Basic human with protection, after all.

Uncut Mox 0
Artifact - C
Kicker 1
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Unless Uncut Mox was kicked, it doesn't untap during your untap step.
1: Untap Uncut Mox.

Next: Something that plays off tapping/untapping in some way, other than using it as a requirement to activate something.

mystic1110
2015-06-25, 02:25 PM
Lotus petal is considered too good. This is better.

Traffic Control 3U
Sorcery U
If a permanent an opponent controls untapped this turn, this costs 3 less to cast.
Draw 3 cards.

Create card that has "lose the game" in its rules text

Zaydos
2015-06-25, 03:13 PM
Lotus petal is considered too good. This is better.

Uncut Mox is actually arguably better than the Moxen. And is a flat better version of Chromatic Lantern (a 3 drop rare).

Traffic Control 3U
Sorcery U
If a permanent an opponent controls untapped this turn, this costs 3 less to cast.
Draw 3 cards.

This should probably be 2UU and UU if they untapped this turn. 3U at Sorcery would be the normal price, with the optional way to bring it down increasing it in some way (not worth +1 CMC I'd say, so I'd suggest converting 1 to U), and even in the situation of your opponent having untapped something this turn it shouldn't actually be comparable to one of the Power Nine.

Create card that has "lose the game" in its rules text

Gaea's Behemoth 2GG
Creature - Beast MR
Trample, Indestructible
Gaea's Behemoth cannot be countered.
At the beginning of your upkeep sacrifice 2 lands, if you cannot you lose the game.
7/7

Challenge: Make an artifact mana source.

braveheart
2015-06-25, 05:20 PM
It's good, but not completely broken, I'm not positive that the drawback is sufficient though,

Arteficer's Trinket (1)
Artifact - U
T: add (1) to your mama pool
Sacrifice ~: add (3) to your mans pool, use this mans only to cast artifact spells, activate this ability only if you control 4 or more other permanents.

Something else that interacts with the total number of permanents you control

Jormengand
2015-06-25, 05:45 PM
Magic text tends to use Can't, not Cannot. Anyway, that's a pretty hefty penalty for having that out early. I'd be really, really, really disappointed to open that as a mythic. I'd be disappointed to open it as a common. I don't think it's really viable. Even forcing you to pay 2 or lose the game would make it annoying to run (albeit, yes, also annoying to play against).

If you don't control at least 4 other permanents, something, somewhere, went terribly wrong.

Union Fire 3RR
Sorcery - R
Union Fire deals 1 damage to target creature or player for each permanent you control.
United, we don't stand. We burn.

Next: Another burn spell.

r2d2go
2015-06-25, 06:53 PM
Seeing as it easily does 8-10 damage with a goblin swarm + lands, it might need to cost 1 more. Still, comparable to Burn at Stake, though you can swing with your guys before/after using this.

Dragonfire 2R
Sorcery - U
Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
If you control a dragon, you may divide the damage among one or two additional target creatures and/or players.
Ferocious - Deal 5 damage instead.

Edited to not ignore Hexproof :smalltongue:

Challenge: Another card with two or more conditions to improve it.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-25, 07:54 PM
As it's worded right now, it technically gets around Hexproof and is pretty clearly bonkers if you have a dragon out. Even if you don't have one, you still run it in limited. Numbers are a fickle, tweakable thing, though; the idea itself would fit well into Drags o' Tark if Ferocious weren't discontinued.

Zordan Enchantress 1WW
Creature - Human Wizard U
Creatures you control that are equipped get +1/+1.
Creatures you control that are enchanted get +1/+1.
2/3

Challenge! Make an equipment card that can only equip certain kinds of creatures. (O-Naginata (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74146) is an example.)

ezkajii
2015-06-26, 09:22 AM
I think that's good. Even without the buffs you're getting a 2/3 for 3 which is decent, but it's got good synergy in the right deck. That said I don't know if it's so strongly white as to deserve 1WW vs. 2W.

Scintillating Ribbons 3
Artifact - Equipment - U
Scintillating Ribbons can be attached only to a creature with flying.
Equipped creature must be blocked if able.
Equip 3

Challenge: Something based on heavy metal (of any kind)

r2d2go
2015-06-26, 09:43 PM
It's a neat effect, but it's definitely overcosted. Consider Grappling Hook, for 1 more + 1 more equip, grants Doublestrike and let's you choose what blocks you. Unless you wanted this to be a Prized Unicorn (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=prized+unicorn) type effect, in which case it needs a bit of a wording tweak and is still probably only worth 2 equip 2.

Baloth Sledge 3
Artifact - Equipment U
Equipped creature gets +4/+5 and Trample.
It's named both for its weight and it's victim of choice.
Equip 6

Challenge: Another big equip.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-26, 11:52 PM
I'd probably just make it either +4/+4 or +5/+5, but it does what it needs to do and costs enough not to break the game completely wide open. It's hard to rate in limited, but I'd still first-pick it since it gives a fast deck an instant late game.

Stalwart Golem-Armor 3
Artifact - Equipment R
Equipped creature gets +4/+4 and has defender.
Equip 3
0: Attach Stalwart Golem-Armor to target creature you control with defender.

Challenge! Make a creature with defender!

Jormengand
2015-06-27, 11:43 AM
Given that for 3+3, giving +4/+4 would be fairly reasonable, and so would giving Defender, you shouldn't really have to have a big drawback on buffing one of your creatures or nerfing one of your opponent's.

Immortal Defender W
Creature - Human Soldier R
Defender, Indestructible.
You will never pass this place.
0/1

Next: Another creature with indestructible.

braveheart
2015-06-28, 04:11 PM
Good defender, but maybe he should cost 1 more, although at rare it might be ok

Infection Elemental 2BG
Legendary Creature - Elemental - MR
Creatures are viruses in addition to their other types.
Creatures have, indestructible, power and toughness equal to the number of creatures you control, and "if any virus takes lethal damage, sacrifice all viruses"
0/0

A creature with 0/0 for it's power and toughness

Jormengand
2015-06-28, 04:26 PM
Well, the effect tells you to sacrifice viruses that you may not control or own, and I don't see why it gives them indestructible and then makes you sacrifice them if they would be destroyed anyway. Also, it's either pointless or really dangerous; I don't see why you would use it.

Zero Warrior BP
Creature - Human Knight R
Deathtouch, First Strike, Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile that creature)
Alone we are nothing, but with help, we can be the most powerful creatures of all.
0/0

Union Sentinel W
Creature - Human Knight U
Union Sentinel enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each other human you control.
0/0

Next: Something else that only works with other cards, not on its own.

braveheart
2015-06-28, 04:56 PM
Unless you have a way to make zero warrior enter with +1/+1 counters or have a lord in play he is just going to die on impact,
The human one is good though

Response to critique: the effect makes them immune to destroy effects, but burn and combat damage turn into board wipes

Portal cloak P
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant target creature
Enchanted creature gains warpstrike (1) (if this creature becomes blocked you may pay (1), if you do exile enchanted creature then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking)

Something old

r2d2go
2015-06-28, 10:13 PM
It's very weak - Arguably weaker than flying (no blocking bonus, costs mana to be unblockable, mostly), and there's a few 1 mana flying enchantments that have strong additional effects (Shroud on a Threshold, bounce), and many 2 mana flying enchantments with bigger bonuses (+1/+2, Vigilance First Strike). Probably could cantrip and still be fine.

Redbark Elder 3GG
Creature - Treefolk R
Reach, Protection from Red
When ~ enters the battlefield, set your life to half its starting total.
3/6

Challenge: Another tree.

ezkajii
2015-06-29, 08:38 AM
Re: Portal cloak - I disagree, I think it's plenty powerful. Pay 1 mana for an unblockable creature and re-trigger any ETB as well as any leaves the battlefield effects. That is assuming that there is a provision that the portal cloak is exiled and returned with it. If the portal cloak disappears because its target left the battlefield that's not especially useful.

Re: Redbark Elder - This one's kind of complicated to try to evaluate. 3/6 for 5 is not great, reach helps a little but protection from red is pretty good. The life total adjustment - I don't know, it seems kinda weird to me. Basically you're only gonna want to play Redbark Elder if you're falling behind in late game, but if you're actually doing well it's really only going to be a hindrance. Maybe replace the protection from red with lifelink, make it 3WG? Would need a new name though.

Hungry Sapling 3G
Creature - Treefolk - R
When Hungry Sapling enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of Plant, Treefolk, or Saproling creatures. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Hungry Sapling for each creature sacrificed in this way.
Sacrifice a Plant, Treefolk, or Saproling: Put a +1/+1 counter on Hungry Sapling.
It leeches every last nutrient out of the soil, starving out all competition. Then it devours their rotting flesh as well. Soon, it is the only thing left standing in an otherwise desolate waste.
1/1

Next challenge: Something with Devour proper.

Jormengand
2015-06-29, 12:32 PM
The main problem with Portal Cloak is that it instagibs itself the moment the creature warpstrikes.

Hungry Sapling barely needs the first ability as you can do the second ability on top of any burns that would try to kill it anyway. It's not actually amazingly useful.

Worldmaw the Devourer 5BBRR
Legendary creature - Dragon MR
Flying, Devour 8
"I shall taste everything this world has to offer, and everything it has for the taking."
-Worldmaw
0/0

Next: Another 0/0 legendary.

braveheart
2015-06-29, 01:37 PM
Even at that mana cost devour 8 is too strong, maybe at devour 6 this one would be balanced

Ancient Armorforger (4)
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct - R
~enters the battlefield with a Guardian Armor equipment token attached to it with "equipped creature gets +2/+4, and equip (2)"
(4): put a token copy of target equipment onto the battlefield under your control, and equiped to target creature.
0/0

An equipment

Jormengand
2015-06-29, 04:02 PM
Your wording is a little wrong. You need it to say "When ~ enters the battlefield, put a Guardian Armor equipment token with "equipped creature gets +2/+4" and "equip (2)" on to the battlefield attached to it.
(4): Put a token that's a copy of target equipment onto the battlefield under your control and attached to target creature." Anyway, it's a cool idea. I like it.

Golemsong 4
Planeswalker Artifact - Golemsong Equipment MR
Equip 0
+2: Put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature.
-4: Choose Deathtouch, Haste, First Strike, Flying, Lifelink or Vigilance. Equipped creature has the chosen keyword and +3/+3 until end of turn.
-10: You get an emblem with "Golemsong is indestructible. Creatures equipped with Golemsong get +10/+10 and have trample and indestructible."

No idea whether Golemsong actually works the way he's meant to or not. Oh well.

Next: Another planeswalker with another type. I made a planeswalker who was a land before, so it can't be that hard. :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-06-29, 05:38 PM
Response to critique: if he gets the token artifact as an ETB he dies before it can be put on him, hence that bit of odd wording

The only issue I see is that indestructible doesn't actually do anything for a plainswalker, they sacrifice themselves when they run out of loyalty counters, otherwise it seems functional

Auramian, Awakend ∆ther 2UU
Enchantment Plainswalker - Auramian, Aura - MR
Enchant target creature
+1: enchanted creature gains Hexproof and Flying until the beginning of your next first main phase.
-3: put a token copy of enchanted creature onto the battlefield
-6: draw X cards, where X is the power of enchanted creature

Something new

Jormengand
2015-06-29, 06:02 PM
The only issue I see is that indestructible doesn't actually do anything for a plainswalker,

Angel of Despair. Argentum Armour. Beast Within. Bramblecrush. Capricious Efreet. Crosis' Charm (because he's an artifact). And so forth. Anything that destroys permanents without specifying which type, or artifacts, or planeswalkers (Dreadbore; Garruk, Apex Predator; Hero's Downfall) can kill him until it can't.

Auramian, Awakend ∆ther 2UU
Enchantment Plainswalker - Auramian, Aura - MR
Enchant target creature
+1: enchanted creature gains Hexproof and Flying until the beginning of your next first main phase.
-3: put a token copy of enchanted creature onto the battlefield
-6: draw X cards, where X is the power of enchanted creature

The -6 is actually really powerful, basically meaning that you can have a flying hexproof creature for two turns before drawing far more cards than you should be able to for 4. Also, you put a token that's a copy of something onto the battlefield.

Something new

What's that meant to mean?

Oh well:

Novitiate W
Creature - Human Cleric C
Neophyte 1 (When this enters the battlefield, if you don't own any other copies of it on the battlefield, graveyard or in exile, put 1 +1/+1 counter on it.
1/1

Next: Something else with Neophyte or something with Coloursickness or something with, oh, let's say annihilator for lulz.

r2d2go
2015-06-29, 06:16 PM
It's meant as a sideboard against RDW.

Well, it's pretty darn good if you get a 2/2 for 1 - which in most games, you will. I don't see how you could make it weaker and still playable, but maybe make it uncommon? Probably okay though.

Diversity 1WUBRG
Legendary Creature - Elemental Incarnation MR
You may pay 6 and put a +1/+1 counter on a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature instead of paying ~'s mana cost.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, it gains Neophyte 2.
6/6

Challenge: Another Incarnation.

Ninjaman
2015-06-29, 07:07 PM
I want to make a commander deck with it with a lot of creatures that care about tokens.

Might - 2GGGG
Creature - Incarnation - M
Might cost G less for each creature you control with power 6 or less.
Creatures you control have trample.
6/6

Another big guy that can become cheaper.

r2d2go
2015-06-30, 06:19 AM
I'd like it better if it were 4GG or 3GGG and cost 1 less per guy, since otherwise you could play this in white weenie as a 6/6 trample for 2. Still, it's neat - a bit like Avatar of Might, but encourages you to have more guys instead of your enemy.

Shy Baloth 5G
Creature - Baloth R
Trample
~ costs 1 less and has -1/-1 for each creature on the battlefield.
6/6

Intended for a set with Devour.

Challenge: Another card that has a single condition that acts as both a drawback and benefit. Alternatively, another card that has power and toughness equal to its CMC. Bonus points for both.

mystic1110
2015-06-30, 12:08 PM
It's a little overcosted?

6 mana for a 5/5 trample: Bad
5 mana for a 4/4 trample: Bad
4 mana for a 3/3 trample: Worse
3 mana for a 2/2 trample: horrible
2 mana for a 1/1 trample: :smallfurious:
1 mana for a 0/0 trample: This is the BEST CARD EVER!

Yes I know it grows bigger when other things die. . . but never big enough to justify it.

Wayfire Setter R
Creature - Goblin Shaman U
When ~ enters the battlefield each player draws three cards, then discards three cards at random.
Stop consulting the freakin flames already!
1/1

Another Goblin

r2d2go
2015-06-30, 06:56 PM
A 4/4 for 1 isn't good enough? :smalltongue: (Yes, that won't always happen, but if the best result was 6/6 it'd be a little too crazy).

Anyway... It doesn't do much other than making things a whole lot more random - that's not necessarily a bad thing, but at uncommon it could be too much at 1 mana. I'd like it better if it discarded, then drew, thus making it a draw if you've got 2 or less cards in hand - then it'd have a function beyond making things random, which isn't super necessary.

Goblin Flameslicer RR
Creature - Goblin U
When ~ is blocked by a creature, it deals damage equal to its power to that creature and assigns no combat damage this turn.
2/1

Challenge: Another card with "super first strike" - dealing damage when blocked (or blocking).

Jormengand
2015-07-01, 07:37 AM
It's... okay, I guess? Probably not going to be any better than first strike, though.

Supersonic Snail 3RRR
Creature - Snail R (Un)
Flash, Super haste, Super first strike (This creature can be cast any time you could cast an instant, can attack the turn before you play it, and assigns combat damage before creatures without super first strike even if they have first strike)
5/2

Next: Something else really fast.

mystic1110
2015-07-01, 09:24 AM
"can attack the turn before you play it" doesn't make any sense without the rest of the explanation provided by . . Rocket-Powered Turbo Slug - and it kinda makes flash pointless. Additionally Super First Strike can probably just be, "this creature has first strike and all creatures blocking this creature lose first strike." Either way, it's weird :smalltongue:

Inferno Incantation 2R
Sorcery U
Quicken Spell (You may cast this spell as though it had flash and without paying its mana cost. If you do at the beginning of your next upkeep, pay this spell's mana cost plus {1}. If you don't, you lose the game.)
Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.

Something else with Quicken Spell or another mechanic based off metamagic feats

Jormengand
2015-07-01, 09:35 AM
Well, both methods of using it are, uh, bad, so...

Also, as written, you personally deal 3 damage. I don't know whether or not that matters, but ehh.

Persist Spell 3
Sorcery - MR
The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn gains Epic.

You could probably have fun with Epic lightning bolts on turn 4, but I don't think that would actually be that effective.

Next: Something else that references Epic.

braveheart
2015-07-01, 11:31 AM
That may be broken, but it really depends on the spell you use, the most broken thing I can think of is to get an unblock able guy, then epic extra turn spells, but that would be a lot of mana, I feel like at 3 mana this could break the game

The Epic of the Four Palms 3WR
Enchantment - Aura - R
Enchant target creature
Enchanted creature has doublestrike
If enchanted creature becomes blocked, it deals damage equal to it's power to the blocking creature.
After combat damage is dealt, enchanted creature may deal damage equal to it's power to any target it dealt damage to during the combat phase.

sonethong that copies or steals something already on the board

mystic1110
2015-07-01, 11:42 AM
Persist Spell 3
Sorcery - MR
The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn gains Epic.

I would love to use this on a Small Pox, and then run a whole bunch of cards like bloodghast or Ichorid :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2015-07-01, 12:58 PM
@Mystic: Well, yeah, okay. :smalltongue:

So equipped creature has quadruplestrike? Okay, fine, sure, that's probably actually not particularly broken. I mean, it would be horrid if combined with trample, but for the cost it's probably okay.

Mirrormind P
Sorcery - C
Get a sigil that's a copy of target nonland permanent. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They can exist in your hand or on the stack. When a sigil enters the battlefield it becomes a token. You "Get" a sigil by putting it in your hand.)

Yeah, spam decks will love this. Oh well?

Next: Something else that creates sigils or tokens.

3WhiteFox3
2015-07-02, 02:49 AM
@Mystic: Well, yeah, okay. :smalltongue:

So equipped creature has quadruplestrike? Okay, fine, sure, that's probably actually not particularly broken. I mean, it would be horrid if combined with trample, but for the cost it's probably okay.

Mirrormind P
Sorcery - C
Get a sigil that's a copy of target nonland permanent. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They can exist in your hand or on the stack. When a sigil enters the battlefield it becomes a token. You "Get" a sigil by putting it in your hand.)

Yeah, spam decks will love this. Oh well?

Next: Something else that creates sigils or tokens.

This seems like it's too strong. Imagine having four more copies of any permanent in your deck (including that bomb Mythic Rare), having backups of your legendary cards, or stealing your opponents cards (if you can cast them or they are tokens) and it can do all these at any given time. The amount of sheer versatility is way to much for a common that costs so little to cast.

Tamagath, Writer of Failed Heroes 3UPB
Legendary Creature - R
When ~ enters the battlefield, you get one 1/1 Failed Hero creature sigil that costs P. (Sigils have mana costs and can be cast as spells. They can exist in your hand or on the stack. When a sigil enters the battlefield it becomes a token. You "Get" a sigil by putting it in your hand.)
Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)
"I call upon the failed heroes of the stories that no one will tell, that is their penance."
6/4

Challenge: Create a build-around-me enchantment.

Jormengand
2015-07-02, 11:09 AM
Huh... are you meant to Shift into the 1/1 so that it soaks up the kill spell that was going to hit Tamagath? Why is he Veldan when his abilities are Kasstar and monopurple?

Eternal Memories 2UU
Enchantment MR
Whenever you would discard a card, don't.
"I know only that I know everything."
- Jace Beleren

Next: Another simple rare or mythic.

mystic1110
2015-07-02, 12:08 PM
Interesting effect. . . but what does it do. . . does it make infinite tokens with zombie infestation or make Psychatog infinitely powerful?

Karmsu, The Green Thumb GGG
Legendary Creature - Elf Druid M
When Karmsu enters the battlefield or dies, you may search your library for up to two basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
2/2

Create a card with Renowned

Jormengand
2015-07-02, 12:45 PM
Uhm, I don't think so. For a start, free spells are blue, and more to the point even draw 2 on a 2/2 for 3, let alone the two extra land drops, let still alone entering untapped, is a huge nono. You're basically paying GG for the bear and G for the draw 2 play 2. That's a slightly colour-locked bear and a HUGELY POWERFUL ABILITY for G.

EDIT: Jeez, I didn't even notice the "Or dies." That's ridiculously powerful.

Charge Leader 2WR
Creature - Human Soldier U
Renown 2 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, if this creature is not renowned, put 2 +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes renowned.)
If Charge Leader is renowned, other creatures you control have haste.
3/2

Next: Something with a new keyword.

braveheart
2015-07-02, 03:47 PM
He's fair enough, but he might do well with haste for himself

Untouchable Combatant 2WW
Creature-Human, Warrior-R
Invulnerable (permanents with invulnerable do not take any form of damage)
"He's not quite invincible, but we can't seem to touch him with anything"
3/2

It's not quite indestructible but it's pretty close

Something with an old evergreen keyword, that isn't used anymore

Tom the Mime
2015-07-02, 07:08 PM
Doesn't seem different enough to be a new keyword, especially as it's basically indestructible unless you're paying against black.

Also, on Karmsu, it doesn't specify forests making it even more broken. I could imagine turn 1 elves to a turn 2 karmsu and fetching whatever lands you need for altars reap or altar of bone or something like that. Then turn 2 you have 6 lands out (2 still untapped ) and an elf and 3 cards still in your hand, possibly more depending on the card with a sac cost you chose.

Undying ember R
Deal 1 damage to target creature or player
Buyback 2

Much worse than shock in normal mode and only worth buyback if you have lots of mana to burn or as a deterrent in the same way as prodigal sorcerer.

Make a legendary wall

Zaydos
2015-07-02, 07:49 PM
Undying ember R
Deal 1 damage to target creature or player
Buyback 2

Much worse than shock in normal mode and only worth buyback if you have lots of mana to burn or as a deterrent in the same way as prodigal sorcerer.

So a better reprint of Searing Touch (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397530). It's a rare, and Searing Touch sucks, but... ultimately it's a really disappointing rare and probably would work better as an uncommon with a buyback of 1R.

Make a legendary wall

Wall of Troy WWW
Legendary Creature - Wall R
Protection from Non-Legendary.
0/6

Challenge: An eagle.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-03, 01:35 AM
Wall of Troy is neat! The ability doesn't seem like it has to be legendary, but it's not a bad idea. As a 0/6, though, the ability doesn't make much difference; it rarely dies in combat, and it's often not really worth killing. I should also note that the ability sort of gives it super-shroud right now; protection from nonlegendary creatures feels more intuitive to me.

Luxflight Eagle 3W
Creature - Bird C
Flying
Whenever an enchantment you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may sacrifice Luxflight Eagle. If you do, return that enchantment card to the battlefield.
2/2

Challenge! Make something that either 1. can't be blocked by creatures with flying or 2. can't be blocked except by creatures with flying.

3WhiteFox3
2015-07-03, 02:04 AM
Pretty good, especially with all of the enchantment love that Origins seems to be giving out... However, it's a bit expensive for something that doesn't even give you card advantage when you reclaim the enchantment card.

Wombatfolk Digger 1WW
Creature - Wombat U
Tunneling (creatures with tunneling cannot be blocked by walls or creatures with flying)
"Never underestimate the value of a well placed tunnel."
3/3

Challenge: Something with Mana Ramping

Gandariel
2015-07-03, 02:27 AM
Simple and effective. I kind of felt this was more red than white, but eh.

Greenlight Channeler 1GG
Creature - Elf R
Green Spells you cast have Convoke
2/3

With the effect applying only to Green spells it shouldn't be too breakable, right?

Next, make a creature with 0 attack (which is not a Wall)

Zaydos
2015-07-03, 01:28 PM
Greenlight Channeler 1GG
Creature - Elf R
Green Spells you cast have Convoke
2/3

With the effect applying only to Green spells it shouldn't be too breakable, right?

Monogreen is thing. Especially for elves. Though in that case Elven Archdruid is better. Still a strong card, especially since Green spells include multicolor Green spells. That said the kind of deck that wants this also wants Elvish Mystics, Llanis, etc. So while I'd love to get it, I doubt it'd be a format breaker.

Next, make a creature with 0 attack (which is not a Wall)

Reflective Decoy 2UU
Creature - Shapeshift R
Whenever Reflective Decoy is blocked by or blocks a creature Reflective Decoy deals damage to that creature equal to its power.
Whenever Reflective Decoy attacks and is not blocked Reflective Decoy deals damage to the defending player equal to the higher power among unblocked creatures.
0/4

Challenge: A squirrel with power of 4 or higher.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-03, 06:12 PM
I can't help but suspect that the ability will be valued primarily as Firster Strike, which can't be its intended purpose; just changing the shapeshifter's power to match the creature it's fighting might suit it better. With the second ability, I do kind of see what it's going for as a decoy; it helps the damage from your bigger creature get through indirectly, which is actually quite nice. I just think that that point might be better served with regular evasion than with stop-hitting-yourself antics.

Golden-Nut Harvest 3GG
Sorcery - R
Until end of turn, creature tokens you control enter the battlefield with three additional +1/+1 counters on them.
Put a 1/1 green Squirrel creature token onto the battlefield.

Edit: It was really hard to decide whether this should be an instant or sorcery... it's probably bad to let someone combo out right before untapping and swinging in, I suppose, so Sorcery is probably the safer bet.

Challenge! Make a token generator!

3WhiteFox3
2015-07-04, 02:28 PM
I want to like this card a lot, but it really relies on it's synergy to do anything. In a dedicated token deck, this is a fantastic finisher (I can only imagine playing this with something like scatter the seeds or dragon fodder but even that requires two cards and 7 mana at best). It seems like a card that some (but not all) token decks want but no one else is going to care about at all. Basically, it feels a bit too 'win more' for my tastes, still if you've got the ramping and ways to trigger it cheaply, I could see it being a great addition to token decks.

Saproling Infection 2BG
Instant - U
Deal target creature 2 damage, if a creature is destroyed this way, put two 1/1 saproling creatures onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Create a card that can be cast facedown (morph, manifest, etc...)

r2d2go
2015-07-04, 05:39 PM
Neat! I'd make it -2/-2 until EoT, to be more black, and it might deserve a bonus point or two somewhere (-1 cost, +1 damage or saprolings), but it's cool.

Master of Lies UG
Creature - Cat Demon R
Morph (U/G)
At the end of each turn, exile ~ and up to two creatures you control, then manifest each of them with a +1/+1 counter.
Creatures with +1/+1 counters cost (U/G) to morph.
0/5

Challenge: Another Rakshasa, or another creature that works with counters. Bonus points for both.

Jormengand
2015-07-04, 05:56 PM
I would point out that Saproling Infestation doesn't work because damage doesn't destroy. Also, it should say that it deals the damage to target creature or at the very least tell you to deal that damage to the creature, rather than saying to deal the creature that damage.

The rakshasa is trying to do too many things so that it can double-up on the challenge, which actually doesn't result in a very good card.

Rakshasa Spellscatterer 2UG
Creature - Cat Demon U
Whenever a spell is countered, put a +1/+1 counter on Rakshasa Spellscatterer.
"I love the sound spells make when you smash them to bits."
2/2

Next: Something using +1/+1 counters, but not a creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-05, 12:58 AM
That is actually really entertaining! I like the idea and I really like the flavor. I feel look like it could get away with being a mono-blue 3/3, but it kind of depends on how good you want the counterspell deck to be at the moment. It does raise a confusing rules question, though: if a spell winds up with no legal targets and fizzles, the rules technically say that the spell is, "countered," but I have no idea whether such fizzling would trigger the Rakshasa. Since the kitties are also associated with Black, it seems pretty logical to get a bonus from sacrificing in response to removal, but still...

Anyway, this:

Augment Strength G
Instant - C
Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. If that creature has a +1/+1 counter on it, instead put two additional +1/+1 counters on it.
Those most receptive to the Green moon's power will always carry it with them, even beyond the reach of its rays.

Challenge! Make an airship!

Jormengand
2015-07-05, 09:21 AM
I can't help but feel that that could be really powerful, but it's probably just about okay. Maybe too much for a common?

The Mechane 8
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct R
Flying.
At the beggining of your upkeep, you may put a legendary 4/2 human bard creature token with first strike called Julio Scoundrel onto the battlefield under your control.
7/7

Next: Something else that makes tokens, but this time not creature tokens.

Gandariel
2015-07-05, 01:47 PM
Uh, other than the cute reference i think the card is just... kinda weak.

Phyrexian Bank 4
Artifact - R
Sacrifice a token named Gold: At the beginning of your next upkeep, put two colorless artifact tokens named Gold onto the battlefield. They have "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Shouldn't really strong or abusable.

next, make a card which you can cast both for offense and for defense

Jormengand
2015-07-05, 03:15 PM
Really? Being nearly on-curve for colourless, flying, and dropping a 4/2 first striker whenever you don't have one seemed to be fairly decent. Plus, you can just keep saccing Julio if you have something that benefits from that. :smalltongue:

Anyway, the bank worries me because it looks like the type of card that would be bad unless you built basically the whole deck around it, but amazing if you did. Doubling your Gold tokens every turn scares me quite a lot.

Inner Fire W
Enchantment R
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature's power is equal to its toughness.

Another one I thought of:

Acidic Vial B
Instant R
Target creature gets -2/-0 and Deathtouch until end of turn.
It would be a deadly poison if there were any blade strong enough to deliver it.

Next: Another 1-drop rare or mythic.

Zaydos
2015-07-05, 04:29 PM
Inner Fire W
Enchantment R
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature's power is equal to its toughness.

Potentially quite good, and interesting, but too niche to be a rare; should be an uncommon at best.

Acidic Vial B
Instant R
Target creature gets -2/-0 and Deathtouch until end of turn.
It would be a deadly poison if there were any blade strong enough to deliver it.

This is neat in that it does two things. These two things however are anti-synergistic and it does both worse than 1 drop commons if it didn't do the other thing. It could pass for a common, though the strategy required might make it a weak uncommon. Again not really a rare.

Evolving Sprite (G/U)
Creature - Fairy Mutant R
Evolve
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is placed on ~ choose one: it gains +2/+2 until end of turn, it gains flying until end of turn, it gains hexproof until end of turn, regenerate ~.
Remove two +1/+1 counters from ~: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
[no room for flavor text]

Challenge: Pre-Tolkien fantasy.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-05, 07:20 PM
[no room for flavor text]

No room for power and toughness either, apparently. :smalltongue: Even as a 0/1, though, this thing usually swings in as a 3/4 on turn 2 thanks to the growth ability, and only gets bigger on subsequent attacks. That might be okay on, say, a mono-green legendary or something, but it's maddening to give it to blue fairies. Most of the other abilities depend heavily on being able to give it counters repeatedly or as an instant, which could be interesting on its own but seems unnecessary on this particular card. The last ability is also interesting in that it's more to keep her evolving than to benefit the other creature, but the rest of the abilities are so overwhelming that it's hard to even remember one more option.

Long story short, she could stand to make some cuts.

Chartreuse Brick Road 2
Artifact - MR
3, t, Sacrifice Chartreuse Brick Road: Search your library for a nonbasic land card put it onto the battlefield. If it enters the battlefield tapped, untap it. Then shuffle your library.
We're off to see the wizard / the wonderful wizard of Urza. / He is a wiz, a whiz of a wiz, / if ever a wiz there were-za.

Challenge! Something dream-themed, or even specifically related to Alice in Wonderland.

braveheart
2015-07-05, 08:09 PM
Interesting, I guess for 5 mana (even delayed) grabbing a non basic untapped is valid.

Size Altering Snacks 2
Artifact - U
~ enters the battlefield with 2 charge counters on it
T remove a charge counter: target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn
T remove a charge counter: target creature's power and toughness become 1/1 until end of turn
When ~ has no more charge counters sacrifice it
"Eat me"
"Drink me"

Something that effects a creature's power but not toughness

ezkajii
2015-07-06, 08:23 AM
Flavor-wise, I get why you have it like it is, but for playability I'd love to see a third option, maybe something like 1T: Put a charge counter on ~. Just so you can potentially get some more utility out of it.

Heart of the Warrior 1R
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature is dealt damage in combat, it gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is equal to the damage dealt to it this way.

Challenge: Toughness matters.

mystic1110
2015-07-06, 09:13 AM
How does that work? It won't get the bonus until after damage is dealt, so the bonus no longer matters, as the creature already dealt the damage. . .

Maybe "whenever ~ is blocked or blocks a single creature, ~ gets +x/+0 where X is that creatures power."

Four Forged Golem 4
Artifact Creature - Golem C
~ has +2/+0 for each other creature with a toughness of 4 or greater
0/4

Create another golem

ezkajii
2015-07-06, 11:40 AM
Re: critique - yeah, that would be the right way to do that. Note to self: Don't 'brew within an hour of waking up.

Four Forged Golem seems mechanically fine, but I wonder about the flavor. Not that it couldn't be done but as it stands it seems very meta, so to speak.

Ruinfeeder Golem 8
Artifact Creature - Golem - R
T, Sacrifice a land: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
6, T: Destroy target land. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
4/4

Challenge: A planeswalker of three or more colors.

r2d2go
2015-07-06, 03:29 PM
Re: critique - yeah, that would be the right way to do that. Note to self: Don't 'brew within an hour of waking up.

Four Forged Golem seems mechanically fine, but I wonder about the flavor. Not that it couldn't be done but as it stands it seems very meta, so to speak.

Ruinfeeder Golem 8
Artifact Creature - Golem - R
T, Sacrifice a land: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
6, T: Destroy target land. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
4/4

Challenge: A planeswalker of three or more colors.

Pretty neat, and not particularly overpowered (very, very slow but potentially powerful is probably fine). Obviously, the first ability isn't what makes this strong, but I think it'd do better without the tap on that ability, since otherwise it's pretty useless. Decent overall.

Malar the Thousand Eyed 2WUB
Planeswalker - Malar MR
+2 - Look at the top three cards of your library. You may pay 3 life and put one into your hand, or gain 3 life. Then you may shuffle your library.
-3 - Look at target opponent's hand. Select three cards from it - your opponent selects one to be exiled and another to discard.
-8 - Target opponent shuffles three cards from their hand into their library, then fateseal 1000.

Challenge: Something else with a hilariously large number (for another example: Hundred-Handed One (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=373708)).

Lea Plath
2015-07-06, 04:01 PM
That first - is nuts. Like, really nuts. You consistently mind rot people in a way you can influence. The + is a powerful top effect which can gain life or draw cards. The ult is just...well very powerful and a pain to do.

Anyway. My turn.

The 10000 Challenges of the Blademaster 2GW
Instant - U
Target creature you control gets +X/+X until end of turn where X is their bushido. That creature fights target creature an opponent controls.

A true bladermaster is tempered by each challenge they face

For the next person, make an artifacts with the numbers 4, 6 and 8 on it.

Jormengand
2015-07-06, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure you can say "Their bushido." I think you have to say something unwieldy like "If target creature has bushido X, that creature gets +X/+X" but I'm not even sure that works. Even then, it's not exactly an amazingly good card.

Statue of War 6
Artifact Creature - Golem MR
Creatures can't block.
8/4

Next: Another MR with fewer than 6 words of abilities.

mystic1110
2015-07-06, 06:05 PM
I like it! It makes everything unblockable which is . . . powerful to say the least. And it's appropriately mythic in my opinion. Well done.

Hunger 5BB
Creature - Incarnation MR
Whenever Hunger attacks, eat a card (exile any card on the battlefield, a player's graveyard, hand, stack, or on the top of any players library. If you exile a card this way, gain life equal to its converted mana cost.)

5/5

Yeah i cheated - but reminder text isn't technically rules text :smalltongue:

Create another incarnation

braveheart
2015-07-06, 06:41 PM
An intersting ability, and it seems to be fairly balanced

Beast 3G
Enchantment - Incarnation - MR
Beast may attack and block as though it were a 3/3 creature, if ~ takes 3 or more damage sacrifice it

(Yes it's a creature without the creature super type)

Something blue

Jormengand
2015-07-06, 07:45 PM
As written it is sacrificed if it takes 3 or more damage total, ever. It's easier to make it a creature say that it isn't counted as a creature than not make it one and say it's counted as one.

Close Counter 3
Instant R (U colour indicator)
Counter target spell.
Coloursickness - if you didn't spend U to cast Close Counter, put that card in its owner's hand rather than in its owner's graveyard.

I realise that it's a strictly better cancel, but there's already at least 2 of those and they're only uncommons.

Next: Make a card which draws more than 3 cards.

Zaydos
2015-07-06, 07:55 PM
Close Counter 3
Instant R (U colour indicator)
Counter target spell.
Coloursickness - if you didn't spend U to cast Close Counter, put that card in its owner's hand rather than in its owner's graveyard.

Hard counters typically cost UU minimum. This isn't just a strictly better Cancel this is better than Mana Leak and arguably better than Counterspell. If it was 2U with the return to hand unless you paid at least 2 blue it would be feasible, but at 3 colorless bouncing a spell from the stack is too strong, as is a hard counter for 2U.

Next: Make a card which draws more than 3 cards.

Gate of Dreams 2BB
Sorcery - R
Any opponent may sacrifice 5 permanents. If no opponent does so draw 4 cards.
The silver key will open the gate and in alien nightmares devastation will appear.

Challenge: Something blue.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-06, 08:55 PM
The flavor's pretty cool, but I strongly expect that the GoD will usually win you the game with sheer volume of card draw. This card's main enemy would presumably be a aggro deck that can sacrifice all of their lands and still kill you on their next turn, but by that point you've already let them get away with quite a lot. The only other instance where I can conceive of the sacrifice option being relevant and interesting would be something like commander, where everyone has had a long time to build up a pile of permanents or tokens they don't really need, but nobody wants to put themselves at a disadvantage just to screw you over.

Squall Afŗn, Vedŗl Trader 2UU
It's a morbidly obese blue man in a fancy hat. 'Nuff said.
Legendary creature - Vedalken Rogue MR
UU, T: Choose two target permanents you control, then choose target permanent you don't control that shares a type with each of them. Exchange control of those permanents.
How much was your patron offering? Ooh hoo, exquisite! I'll double it!
2/5

Challenge! Make something bright yellow!

r2d2go
2015-07-06, 10:07 PM
I like it! Only thing is, I'm not sure when it would be used - Blue isn't exactly the type to get swarms of little guys or anything else. I'd like it better if it had a different penalty that's not permanents, in a resource Blue tends to have lots of.

Solmark 1WW
Enchantment - U
Image: A bright yellow sun symbol glows on a cowering man's arm, emanating a shimmering ward.
You may cast ~ before you declare blockers as if it had flash. If you do, enchanted creature can block any number of creatures this turn.
Prevent the first X damage to enchanted creature each turn, where X is your devotion to white. For each point of damage prevented, you gain 1 life.

Challenge: Another card that can be cast as if it had flash. Bonus points if it doesn't actually have flash.

Ninjaman
2015-07-07, 05:18 AM
There is almost no reason for this to not just have flash. That said I like it.

Stoneshaper - 1W
Creature - Human Cleric - R
Flash
When Stoneshaper enters the battlefield, target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
2/2

Another cleric.

Lea Plath
2015-07-07, 06:58 AM
I would like something like you pay an extra 2 to cast it as if it had flash but seems fine power level wise. Good blocker etc.

Assassin of the Cloth - 2WB
Creature - Cleric Assassin R
A man wearing a long flowing white and gold robe, preaching from an altar to Avacyn. Rather badly hidden up his sleeves are various weapons.
WW: Tap target creature.
BB, tap: Destroy target tapped creature.
3/3
Bow your head in prayer and he shall remove it for you.

A tribal enchantment for a profession subtype such as warrior, assassin etc

ezkajii
2015-07-07, 09:54 AM
Let's see, 3/3 for four with two colors is decent given the abilities he's got. I think I like the tap at 1W instead of WW but that breaks the symmetry with BB destroy, which I think makes sense. I really like the "art" too. :smallsmile:

Recruiter's Charisma 2W
Tribal Enchantment - Soldier - U
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield. If you took damage last turn, put two of these tokens onto the battlefield instead.

Challenge: Something with Exploit.

mystic1110
2015-07-07, 10:21 AM
Even without the extra token generation - it should be a rare - compare to every other token generator that doesn't have a condition. As a rare - it's very good, but I really like it

Crooked Gravedgger 2BB
Creature - Human Cleric U
Exploit (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a creature.)
When Crooked Gravedigger exploits a creature search search your library for up to two creature cards and put them into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
Bodies are bodies, dead or alive, I bury them
2/2

Create an Lizard Cleric

r2d2go
2015-07-07, 12:48 PM
Seems... really weak, honestly. The ability, while useful in niche situations and certain decks, can be found for B on Entomb and with three cards for 2B on Buried Alive, which is a lot better than losing a creature and getting a vanilla 2/2 in its place for 2BB. This could probably cost BB or 1B and be fine. The idea itself is alright, though - nothing particularly crazy about it.

As for the challenge, lizards tend to be animals, and thus ineligible for a class subtype (there's only one rather old lizard with a class, Rampart Crawler (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=19586)). Because I feel it's more in the spirit of the challenge to make something that makes sense and is rather close, I'm going to make a Viashino cleric.

Bloodseer Shieldscale 1WR
Creature - Viashino Cleric R
X, T - Put a Viashino with CMC X from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste. At the end of turn, or when it would die, return it to your hand.
2/2

Challenge: Another card with X in an activation cost.

braveheart
2015-07-07, 11:20 PM
Nothing wrong with it, but it's fairly weak for 2 reasons, 1 you're still paying full mana for the card, which isn't terrible, but I would leave the cost at X and leave out the tap cost, the second issue is that Viashino are few and far between, i just don't think this card would see play, unless it was in a Viashino heavy set

All-tar 4
Artifact - R
XWUBRG, T: target opponent sacrafices X permanents, and loses X life, you gain X life and draw x cards, sacrafice ~

Make something with all 5 traditional colors

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-09, 02:37 AM
I have to say the idea isn't bad. The sacrifice effect should definitely be part of the cost for the ability, but beyond that, it's fair. The ability is pretty powerful, but between the 4-drop and the WUBRG, it's expensive enough that you deserve to draw as many cards as you want by the time you get it up and running. Still, it could use a better flavor justification for whatever it's doing.

Wuxing Crucible 4
Artifact - R
T: Add {1} to your mana pool.
1: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Each element begets another, until the matter of all existence is proven to be one and the same.

Challenge! Make a creature that has two of one color in its mana cost, but two of a different color in one of its ability costs. If you need inspiration, let's say... blue and white.

Ninjaman
2015-07-09, 04:16 AM
Seems pretty balanced when compared to cromatic lantern. Definately a comander staple.

Isperia's Finest - WW
Creature - Human Wizard - U
Whenever Isperia's Finest attacks, tap target creature.
UU: Target creature doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.
2/2

Make another card that costs CC (CMC 2, both colored.)

ezkajii
2015-07-09, 10:19 AM
It's fine, I might make it a 1/1 and give it vigilance just to make it feel a little more white. I mean there's precedence for attacking causing a defender's creature to tap under white but it just doesn't feel strongly enough white to be WW, I guess.

Vortex Wraith BB
Creature - Wraith - U
When ~ enters or leaves the battlefield, choose one: target opponent discards a card, and you lose 2 life; or target opponent loses 2 life, and you discard a card.
1/1

Next Challenge: An expensive, symmetrical enchantment.

mystic1110
2015-07-09, 01:33 PM
It's a fine uncommon - I think it could be pushed to a 2/1 but it's fine otherwise.

Bliss 4GGGG
Enchantment M
Each player may cast nonland cards from their hand without paying their mana costs. Whenever a player casts a spell each of that player's opponents gain life equal to twice the amount of that spells converted mana cost.

Create a legendary creature with a converted mana cost of WUR

Jormengand
2015-07-09, 01:54 PM
Yeah, so you then play UG and proceed to go infinite, preferably finding some way to get rid of your own Bliss once you don't need it. I don't like the idea of that being possible.

You can't have a CMC of WUR, I assume you mean a normal MC of WUR.

The Oracle of Flame WUR
Legendary Creature - Human Priest R
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
T: The Oracle of Fire deals 1 damage to target player for each nonland card in their hand.
"And what do you see in the flames?"
"I see fire, of course."
2/3

Next: Another card with only one of each mana symbol it uses and no colourless mana, but this time a planeswalker.

Ninjaman
2015-07-09, 04:33 PM
I find it difficult to judge, but it doesn't appear broken or unplayable, and it hasavery unique and exciting ability, so all around a cool card.

Morem, Fist of the Ancestors - WBG
Planeswalker - Morem - M
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
0: Until end of turn, Morem, Fist of the Ancestors becomes a 4/4 Elephant Soldier creature with indestructible thatís still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
-5: Exile up to two target permanents.

Another Elephant.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-10, 02:02 AM
Gideon!! Did someone polymorph you into an elephant? And then cover you with black and green paint for some reason? Don't get me wrong, you're still an efficient badass, but man, you should probably look into that.

Maelephant 4(w/b)(w/b)
Creature - Elephant Horror C
Vigilance, Trample
Usually pressed into the service of demons and angels, even free Maelephants are driven by the constant urge to viciously protect something.
3/6

Challenge! Make an instant or sorcery that makes cat tokens.

Gandariel
2015-07-10, 04:03 AM
I don't really know how would you viciously protect something, but the card is a fine common.

Feline misdirection U
Instant U
Buyback 2W
Cast ~ during your declare attackers step.
put a 0/1 Cat Illusion creature with Haste and Provoke into play.
Exile it at the end of your turn.

..does it work?

Next, make a card named "Maelstrom burst"

Ninjaman
2015-07-10, 05:09 AM
It's cool, but there is no reason for this to not just be a sorcery. Also the colors are probably off, it should brobably be either red or green.

Maelstrom Burst - WUBRG
Sorcery - M
Cascade
Return Maelstrom Burst to your hand.

Another card with cascade.

Gandariel
2015-07-10, 05:14 AM
Re critique:

Well, combat tricks are often white and illusions are blue.
Provoke is off colour (although it is sometimes white), but you can kinda see a cat illusion'provoke, so it doesn't really feel wrong to me.

ezkajii
2015-07-10, 09:24 AM
Re: Maelstrom Burst - It seems fine to me. Pay WUBRG instead of whatever other combination to make 5, and skip right to the next 5-cost? I think it could be R instead of M, but it's probably fine as is too.

Renegade Energy Bloom 0
Sorcery - MR
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile all cards in your hand and skip your next draw step.
Cards you play this turn have cascade.
Cascade

(Is it redundant to state it that way? Basically this lets you play all 0-costs in your deck at once.)

Next Challenge: A gold cantrip.

Jormengand
2015-07-10, 09:55 AM
Hmm... it just worries me that you could have something on the battlefield that can be sacced to draw more cards to cascade with. And that would be nasty. Not to mention that playing all the 0-costs in your deck could possibly win everything.

Voice Of the Five WUBRG
Sorcery - R
You gain 5 life, draw a card, destroy targe nonartifact creature, Voice of the Five deals 2 damage to target creature or player, and put a 2/2 green wolf creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
The five sing to me and I respond in kind.

Next: Another sorcery.

Zaydos
2015-07-10, 01:20 PM
Voice Of the Five WUBRG
Sorcery - R
You gain 5 life, draw a card, destroy targe nonartifact creature, Voice of the Five deals 2 damage to target creature or player, and put a 2/2 green wolf creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
The five sing to me and I respond in kind.

Effects taken individually: 1W, 2, 1B, R, 1G. It's actually probably about right cost for doing all five at once, but just seems all over the place and like it doesn't really contribute to any given strategy.

Next: Another sorcery.

Growth of Wisdom 2GU
Sorcery - R
Search your library for a land and a sorcery. Reveal them and put them into your hand.

Challenge: Hybrid Red/Green.

r2d2go
2015-07-10, 03:22 PM
Hm, I'm not sure that's really worth it over Divination and the like - It costs G more, and essentially gains precision in exchange (since you usually will draw a land and a nonland anyway). I'd make it cost less, instant, or put the land in tapped.

Skullcleaver Bloodscale 2(R/G)(R/G)(R/G)
Creature - Viashino R
Doublestrike, Trample
Whenever a creature ~ has dealt damage to dies, ~ may deal damage equal to its power to a creature blocking it.
3/3

Challenge: Another Viashino

mystic1110
2015-07-10, 05:02 PM
Ouch that is brutal . . . I think it's an acceptable rare, but its essentially a 5 mana 6/6 unblockable - not rally , but sort of lol

Marrowmist Trainee R
Creature - Viashino Assassin C
BG: ~ gains doublestrike and deathtouch until end of turn.
1/1

Create a card with an activated ability with 2 or more color requirments and that does not share any color with the card itself

Jormengand
2015-07-10, 05:07 PM
Doublestrike and deathtouch seems odd on a common, given that you would need a specific set of circumstances (blocked by multiple creatures) for the difference with first strike to come up.

Prism of Convergence 2
Artifact - R
URG, sacrifice a blue creature, a green creature and a red creature: Search your hand, library or graveyard for a white creature and put it onto the battlefield under your control.

Next: Something which makes some kind of game object that isn't a token or an emblem. Feel free to make a new one.

r2d2go
2015-07-11, 03:00 PM
It's a little weird, but certainly potent. Earliest use is probably turn 4, and that's a stretch, though, and there's better cheating out there, so should be fine.

As for the challenge - The implication seems to be you're not counting straight permanents, abilities on the stack, cards, etc but only things that are created. I'm going to ignore that thought and go at face value, because I'm not generating a new type of substitute game object, nor forcing myself to use Sigils.

Blackscale Crusher 1RBG
Creature - Viashino U
Devour 2, Trample
Whenever a creature blocking ~ dies, put two +1/+1 counters on ~.
2/2

Challenge: Another guy that gets big.

Jormengand
2015-07-11, 03:10 PM
I was counting, say, copies. A copy is a game object which is created when you put it on the stack, right?

Anyhow...

Worldsoul Acolyte G
Creature - Elf Druid R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Worldsoul Acolyte.
1/1

The going rate for lands is probably about the same as for humans, right? I mean, I'm going to say the fact that everyone plays lands is probably balanced out by the fact that some people play Gather the Townsfolk.

Zaydos
2015-07-11, 03:22 PM
Worldsoul Acolyte G
Creature - Elf Druid R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Worldsoul Acolyte.
1/1

The going rate for lands is probably about the same as for humans, right? I mean, I'm going to say the fact that everyone plays lands is probably balanced out by the fact that some people play Gather the Townsfolk.

So a decent to good 2 drop rare (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380244) for 1 mana and with one of the best tribals in the game? While human v land might balance, Elf tribal is a thing that would make this crazier.

Cat of Ulthar W
Creature - Cat R
Whenever a creature deals damage to ~ destroy target creature that shares a controller with that creature.
1/1

Can't decide Black or White...

Challenge: More cats.

braveheart
2015-07-11, 04:06 PM
It should probably have a downside and be exile if it is white, if you had gone black, there would need to be some restriction on the kill, but the idea is good

True Seeing Catfolk 2WW
Creature-Cat-R
~ has protection from sigils, tokens, and illusions
"He sees what is false and ignores it"
3/3

Something with protection

Jormengand
2015-07-11, 04:23 PM
You don't need to say it has it, you can just give it it. Anyway, it seems fine.

Rebel Warrior 1R
Creature - U
Protection from you.
2/2

So feel free to nuke the board. :smallbiggrin:

Next: Something else with an ability which has an unusual target (exile target library, protection from squirrels, whatever)

Zaydos
2015-07-11, 04:31 PM
Rebel Warrior 1R
Creature - U
Protection from you.
2/2

So feel free to nuke the board. :smallbiggrin:

Seeing as how Protection from you does nothing to protect it from field wipes since they don't target, and those that deal damage (Blasphemous Act (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=389443)) deal damage themselves it's a bear with a downside for 1R... so about par for the course for a Red common. Mostly this means you can't enchant it or play combat tricks on it.

Next: Something else with an ability which has an unusual target (exile target library, protection from squirrels, whatever)

Target library would be target player's library with how M:tG works. Since it's an example though...

Thieving Cat UB
Creature - Cat U
When ~ deals combat damage to a player exile the top card of target player's library face down.
Sacrifice ~: Counter target spell with a mana cost that's the same as a card exiled by ~.
2/2

Challenge: I said more cats.

Passive Pete
2015-07-11, 04:31 PM
Hello, folks. First time in this thread. :smallsmile:

I see how one could get an advantage out of being able to nuke the board and keep that guy alive, but I also think not being able to buff it with spells is a big enough drawback to also earn it haste or first strike. I hope that makes sense.

Chosen One 1W
Creature - Human Warrior R
First strike, protection from CMC 4 or greater
2/1

2 mana, 2 color, 2/2 with a small, conditional ability... checks out in my book.

Risen Pridemate WB
Creature - Cat Zombie R
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
2/2

Challenge: Make an Esper-colored instant or sorcery.

r2d2go
2015-07-11, 05:38 PM
Your own critique works almost word for word here :smalltongue: however it's a little less strong, so I'd recommend buffing it slightly - a good way that comes to mind is making this Constellation, thus triggering on itself and other enchantments.

Sharuum's Command 2WUB
Instant - R
Choose Two:
Target player loses life equal to the number of artifacts you control. You gain that much life.
Counter target spell and gain life equal to its converted mana cost.
Draw a card. You may pay 3 life - if you do, draw another.
Search your library or graveyard for an artifact. Put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Challenge: Another modal card. Or a cat. Bonus points for both?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-07-11, 10:40 PM
Nearest I can tell, Sharuum is basically telling me to counter target spell and draw two cards, which is already a great bargain. That the right deck can also tutor up its win condition or even just kill an opponent directly is all gravy. It's really well thought-out and thematic, so good work! (Though given that its pal Cryptic Command (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397793) is considered a little overpowered, this thing probably would be, too.)

Meow 1W
Instant - C
Choose one:
- Tap up to two target creatures
- Put a 2/2 white Cat creature token onto the battlefield
"Hey! Did you hear that?"

Challenge! Rats this time.

Blue Ghost
2015-07-11, 11:16 PM
That's a really weird card. Two modes that have nothing to do with each other, and are only tangentially connected flavorwise, don't make for a pleasing aesthetic.

Filthy Infestation 3B
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put X 1/1 black Rat creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is 10 minus that player's life total.

Next: A legendary snake.

Zaydos
2015-07-11, 11:22 PM
That's a really weird card. Two modes that have nothing to do with each other, and are only tangentially connected flavorwise, don't make for a pleasing aesthetic.

Filthy Infestation 3B
Enchantment (R)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, put X 1/1 black Rat creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is 10 minus that player's life total.

Are the rats under your control or that of whichever player's turn it is?

Next: A legendary snake.

Sathri, Lord of the Swamp 2GGBB
A great serpent coiled around a spire, human worshipers supplicating themselves below it
Legendary Creature - Snake Avatar MR
~'s power is the difference between your current life and your starting life, ~'s toughness is 1 plus the difference between your current life and your starting life.
Deathtouch
Pay 3 life: Target creature you control gains Deathtouch until end of turn.
Pay 3 life: Regenerate ~.
*/*+1

Challenge: Something that lets you gain life.

Bobb
2015-07-12, 02:24 AM
If I'm reading it correctly, this works both for lifegain decks and when you're on the ropes. Very cool! I personally would not have given it the +1 toughness, but really nice.

Rewards of Penance: BW

Enchantment U

Whenever a player would discard a card you may gain 3 life instead.

Challenge: Make a green creature with power equal to casting cost +2

Jormengand
2015-07-12, 06:03 AM
That's a pretty powerful card - I made a card for 2UU which was "Whenever you would discard a card, you don't." Having a rider that you gain 3 life instead would just make that really, really powerful, and letting you get 3 life instead of your opponent discarding cards is just one more ability that might, sometimes, be worth.

Charging Wolves (R/G)
Creature - Wolf U
"Offence is the best defence and angry, possibly rabid wolves are the best offence."
3/1

Next: Let's have another 1-drop.

Passive Pete
2015-07-12, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't say it's blatantly overpowered, but it does seem to, in my opinion, topple over all the 2/1s for 1 mana, especially when this one can be cast with red OR green. Definitely needs some tiny drawback, maybe "when charging wolves is dealt damage, you take that much damage?" or I dunno.

Unstable Transmuter U
Sacrifice ~: Target creature gains power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn
1/1

Wording is probably off, but what the heck...

Challenge: Make a three-color enchantment.

Zaydos
2015-07-12, 10:35 AM
Unstable Transmuter U
Sacrifice ~: Target creature gains power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn
1/1

Wording is probably off, but what the heck...

Should be "Until end of turn target creature's base power and toughness become 1/1." And as that's the majority of a 2 mana effect (Turn to Frog (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383419)) this should probably be 2 mana probably as a 1/2.

Challenge: Make a three-color enchantment.

Temur Evolution Chamber GRU
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a creature with power 4 or greater enters the battlefield under your control you may put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
When only the strongest survive, the survivors grow stronger.

Challenge: Make an antivirus.

braveheart
2015-07-12, 11:43 AM
Mechanically sound, and appropriately costed, only complaint is favor, Temur doesn't really concern themselves with evolution, otherwise it is an excellent card

Cure Desease w
Sorcery - R
Remove all poison from players and -1/-1 counters from permanents
Destroy all germs and viruses

Something that has first strike

Bobb
2015-07-12, 12:19 PM
Does what it says it does. :) I've never been a fan of poison. There are soo many cards predicated on 20 to kill that poison breaks over it's knee.

Obsidian Knight: BB
Creature: Human Knight R
No one else understood the threat humanity faced. Only he could save his kind

First Strike

Protection from Black

2/2

Challenge, make a mono-colored creature card that features a facet of said color that is often forgotten. (Obviously hugely subjective)

Ninjaman
2015-07-12, 01:06 PM
It's fair for obvious reasons, but why is the flavor text above the textbox?

Razorfang Lupus - 2GG
Creature - Wolf - U
Haste, vigilance
3/3

(Green is second to vigilance after white, and third to haste after red and black.)

Another card with a keyword that isn't primarely used for it, though still within the colorpie. (I gave two examples, other would include: flying in black or red, flash in red, white or black, the khans mechanics would also work since they have a main color.)

Blue Ghost
2015-07-12, 02:03 PM
I guess it's technically within the color pie, but having two tertiary keywords on a monocolored card still feels wrong. I wouldn't expect this to see print unless there's a very specific developmental purpose it's fulfilling.

Shadow Assailant 3B
Creature - Spirit Assassin (U)
Flash
When Shadow Assailant enters the battlefield, destroy target tapped creature.
2/2

Next: A combat trick.