PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Jurai
2015-10-03, 06:12 PM
Interesting.

False Alarm 1(B/U)
Instant C
You may reveal a creature with the Ape, Monkey, or Squirrel types when you cast this spell.
Target creature gets -0/-1 until end of turn. If you revealed a creature with the Ape, Monkey, or Squirrel types when casting this spell, you may reduce its cost by 1.
"OH, LOOK! A GORILLA OR MONKEY OR SQUIRREL!"

Next challenge: A creature with Devour and 0 Power.

r2d2go
2015-10-03, 07:18 PM
Well :smalltongue: Even if it cantripped, it'd be meh at best. Also, it's not really blue (they mostly do -X/-0), so it could be mono black. Also, silliness aside, the types it mentions are green rather than blue or black. And the wording is weird (the cost reduction should be in the same block as the reveal, and should probably be "costs 1 less").

It's not a bad concept, but I'd probably make it -2/-0, cantrip, costs 1U, different conditions to reduce.

Also, again with the one word critiques >.<

Bioglue 1UG
Creature - Mutant Ooze R
Devour 2
Exile creatures devoured by ~.
~ has all abilities of creatures exiled with it.
0/1

Challenge: Another mutant.

Zaydos
2015-10-03, 07:36 PM
Bioglue 1UG
Creature - Mutant Ooze R
Devour 2
Exile creatures devoured by ~.
~ has all abilities of creatures exiled with it.
0/1

Blue, Green, gets counters, eats Zeganna for power! You know I'm gonna like it. Cost looks good.

Challenge: Another mutant.

Cytoplast Devourer 1GU
Creature - Snake Mutant R
Deathtouch
Remove 2 +1/+1 counter from creatures you control: Draw a card.
1/4

Challenge: Mutant dragon.

braveheart
2015-10-03, 08:23 PM
That's an interesting way to draw a card, he can't do anything on its own though, and that's slightly disappointing

Dragon-Fly 2RB
(Image of a dragon and fly hybrid)
Creature - Dragon, Insect, Mutant - U
Flying
Whenever a creature dies, put a +1/+1 counter on ~
R: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn
3/3

Something with an X

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-03, 10:53 PM
It's not bad! The combination of abilities might justify a rare, since while it won't usually get ultra-huge, it's still a pretty flashy beastie. I can kind of see where the insect part of it comes in - flies do like corpses - but I still feel like it would be more at home as some kind of undead, and it certainly doesn't seem to have much reason to be a mutant.

Volcanic Kobold XR
Creature - Kobold R
Haste
When Volcanic Kobold enters the battlefield, it gets +(X+1)/+0 until end of turn.
0/1

Edit: Better? It's supposed to get one more than X.

Challenge! Make something that destroys a land! :O

Jurai
2015-10-03, 11:08 PM
The wording could be better. Try "When ~ enters the battlefield, it gets +X/+0, where X is the amount paid for X when casting this card."

Nihiloquake 3RRB
Sorcery R
Devoid
Destroy target land, then search your opponent's library and exile up to three other copies of that land.
"I-Impossible! I-I can't remember my home! WHY?" The last words of Balfrath, huntsmaster of Bala Ged.

braveheart
2015-10-03, 11:26 PM
it would be powerful, but the cost is appropriate, also try to remember to give a challenge when you post

Voidgrowth Dragon 2W
Creature - Dragon - R
Flying
When You cast ~, exile target creature.
~ has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in exile
*/*

A removal spell

Zaydos
2015-10-03, 11:51 PM
Voidgrowth Dragon 2W
Creature - Dragon - R
Flying
When You cast ~, exile target creature.
~ has power and toughness equal to the number of cards in exile
*/*

White exile target creature either grants the creature's controller some compensation, costs more mana, or is ended by removing the source. If this was exile target creature for as long as ~ remained on the battlefield it might work, but even then you're getting a (potentially rapidly) growing flyer for 2W when a 2/2 or 1/3 with the same effect normally costs 1WW. It's ETB is worth 4 mana on its own, well thankfully it's when cast so you can't just flicker it, but even so.

A removal spell

Cruel Judgment (B/W)(B/W)
Instant
Exile target creature unless its controller pays life equal to its power.
The weregyld must be paid else hope the gods have mercy upon you.

Challenge: A ghoul.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-04, 01:59 AM
"Exile target creature unless its controller reads the rest of this card." That's common-level removal for you. :smalltongue: Then again, this thing does give me the gut feeling of an underrated format staple. If your opponent plays really good creatures, you can cast this secretly hoping to burn them out. Of course, that sort of strategy is pretty decidedly non-white. A version that requires at least some black mana would probably work a wee bit better.

Life-time Ghoul 1B
Creature - Zombie C
Echo - Sacrifice a creature. (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature entered the battlefield since your last upkeep, sacrifice it unless you pay its echo cost.)
3/3

Challenge! Make a ghost or wraith or other incorporeal thing.

Jurai
2015-10-04, 02:35 AM
I'm no fan of Echo, or anything like it, but it balances the card. I like it, a 3/3 for 2 is uncommon (the overall availability of those numbers, not the card rarity), especially in Black.

Spectral Gambler 1UR
Creature- Spirit Rogue U
Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, name a card. If that card is an opponent's hand, draw a card.
His habit has chained him to his table, ever gambling and to stop unable.
2/2

Challenge: Another gambler, cutthroat, pirate, or roguish sort.

1pwny
2015-10-04, 01:18 PM
The haste might make it too strong for an Uncommon. Maybe.

Street Assassin 2B
Creature - Human Assassin (C)
1B, T: Destroy target tapped creature.
1/1
Far from the best in the field, but he gets the job done.

Challenge: Make another common/uncommon that's a weaker version of a rare.

r2d2go
2015-10-04, 02:01 PM
Cheaper Assassinate on a stick is a lot, even if it's not Royal Assassin. Worse, this is a splashable common, meaning it would absolutely ruin limited. Needs to be at least uncommon, and probably weaker (e.g. BB ability cost).

Erayo's Disciple 1U
Creature - Moonfolk Monk U
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, if it's not the first spell casted by that opponent this turn, you may pay 1U. If you do, counter it unless they pay 3.
1/1

Challenge: Something else small.

Jurai
2015-10-04, 02:31 PM
The haste might make it too strong for an Uncommon. Maybe.

Street Assassin 2B
Creature - Human Assassin (C)
1B, T: Destroy target tapped creature.
1/1
Far from the best in the field, but he gets the job done.

Challenge: Make another common/uncommon that's a weaker version of a rare.

I wanted him to be sort of a gamble, but the game's moved away from Luck to Skill, and therefore removed Coinflips.

Cheaper Assassinate on a stick is a lot, even if it's not Royal Assassin. Worse, this is a splashable common, meaning it would absolutely ruin limited. Needs to be at least uncommon, and probably weaker (e.g. BB ability cost).

Erayo's Disciple 1U
Creature - Moonfolk Monk U
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, if it's not the first spell casted by that opponent this turn, you may pay 1U. If you do, counter it unless they pay 3.
1/1

Challenge: Something else small.

Diminutive Tormentor (G/U)
Creature- Insect Horror R
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature. If you do so, ~ gets a +1/+1 counter.
"Those Simic monsters have unleashed a plague that not even we can control." A particularly itchy Golgari guilld mage.
0/1

Challenge: Something inconceivably small.

Passive Pete
2015-10-04, 02:58 PM
Please please please critique the card posted before you. Please.

Is it supposed to be "tap a creature you control" instead? If not, why would you ever choose to tap your creature over you opponents? And that also means you get a 1/2 and a 1 mana effect for U/G. Definitely not super overpowered, because its a rare and all, but still maybe a little much. Besides that wording, if you can tap your opponents creature, I don't see why it would need to be green at all, because thats generally a blue effect. Also horrors are almost always black. Mutant might be what you're looking for.

Nice flavor text though. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzini, Inconceivable Mastermind 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue MR
Deathtouch
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a creature card with converted mana cost less than the number of lands you control. If you do, put that card onto the battlefield under your control
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means"
2/2

Get it. Inconceivable. And he's not that tall. Ha.

Challenge: A rare creature that costs 3UG

Jurai
2015-10-04, 03:30 PM
Please please please critique the card posted before you. Please.

Is it supposed to be "tap a creature you control" instead? If not, why would you ever choose to tap your creature over you opponents? And that also means you get a 1/2 and a 1 mana effect for U/G. Definitely not super overpowered, because its a rare and all, but still maybe a little much. Besides that wording, if you can tap your opponents creature, I don't see why it would need to be green at all, because thats generally a blue effect. Also horrors are almost always black. Mutant might be what you're looking for.

Nice flavor text though. :smallbiggrin:

Vizzini, Inconceivable Mastermind 3UB
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue MR
Deathtouch
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a creature card with converted mana cost less than the number of lands you control. If you do, put that card onto the battlefield under your control
"You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means"
2/2

Get it. Inconceivable. And he's not that tall. Ha.

Challenge: A rare creature that costs 3UG

I don't usually run UB, but I'd run him if I could. Also, it was supposed to be a swarm of fleas. Fleas are horrible, hence 'Horror'.

Kuv Surari, Studious Library 3UG
Legendary Creature- Elemental Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a creature with a subtype other than Elemental or Wizard. If you do, ~ gets +1/+2 against all creatures that share a type with the revealed creature.
1GG, T: Search your library for a land, and put it on the battlefield untapped. At the beginning of your end step, put it on the bottom of your library.
1UU, T: Counter target spell.
A library smarter than its keepers, stronger than its stones, and all it asks for is a scroll or book of unknown knowledge and a moment of your time.
3/4

Challenge: An Eldrazi themed planeswalker.

1pwny
2015-10-04, 08:28 PM
Kuv Surari, Studious Library 3UG
Legendary Creature- Elemental Wizard R
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a creature with a subtype other than Elemental or Wizard. If you do, ~ gets +1/+2 against all creatures that share a type with the revealed creature.
1GG, T: Search your library for a land, and put it on the battlefield untapped. At the beginning of your end step, put it on the bottom of your library.
1BB, T: Counter target spell.
A library smarter than its keepers, stronger than its stones, and all it asks for is a scroll or book of unknown knowledge and a moment of your time.
3/4
A few comments:
- I think the 1st ability isn't going to be very useful in most situations, unless you and your opponent are using the same kind of deck. Also, specify where you reveal the creature from (hand, deck, sideboard, etc.)
- 2nd ability is kinda weird. I can understand it in terms of landfall and such, but I can't really see much actual use. Do you have to shuffle your deck afterwards?
- Do you mean 1UU for the third ability?

Challenge: An Eldrazi themed planeswalker.

Zegunhak, Emrakul's Explorer 6
Planeswalker - Zegunhak (MR)
+3: Look at the top 4 cards of your library. Reveal up to 1 land among them and put it onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
-3: Draw 1 card. Add 2 to your mana pool.
-14: You gain an emblem with "Whenever you sacrifice a creature token for mana, put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures you control that share a creature type with it."
Zegunhak, Emrakul's Explorer 6
Planeswalker - Zegunhak (MR)
+3: Reveal the top 4 cards of your library. Put a 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn tokens into play with "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool" if a land was revelaed this way, then put the cards onto the bottom of your library in any order.
-3: Draw 1 card. Put 2 0/1 colorless Eldrazi Spawn tokens into play with "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool"
-14: You gain an emblem with "Whenever you sacrifice a creature token for mana, put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures you control that share a creature type with it."

Challenge: Moar ways to get out big things.

r2d2go
2015-10-04, 08:33 PM
The main problem I have with this is a lack of self synergy. The last ability is pretty much useless unless you already have guys to use it with, basically. I would prefer the first ability give you an eldrazi spawn for each land you find, and the second give you two eldrazi spawn instead of 2 mana. It's pretty good for a colorless 6 drop though - the extra durability from inflated loyalty is good and just the first two abilities are very solid.

Nest Feeder 2GG
Creature - Eldrazi Processor U
Devoid (this card has no color.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 Eldrazi Scion creature token onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
Sacrifice an Eldrazi - Add 2 to your mana pool.
2/2

Challenge: Another colorless card.

braveheart
2015-10-05, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure if you intended this, but the scions/spawn are still technically eldrazi so the ability applies as long as he stays out to effectively double the rate of your sac ramp

Blighted Survivor W
(Image of a man who is gray, against a colorful market backdrop where other patrons are watching him)
Creature - Human - C
Devoid
A rare few survive having all magic drained from them, but these survivors are watched carefully and prove to be of little aid to those who take them in.
0/1

Another very weak creature

r2d2go
2015-10-05, 07:32 PM
Well, it's weak alright. In a format where 1/1 for 1 with Devoid plus another ability is on more than one common, this should probably be a 1/1.

Yes, that's intended. I considered making it only Scions, which would probably have been more balanced.

Glade Sleeper 1G
Creature - Rabbit C
Sacrifice ~: Gain 3 life.
When ~ dies, prevent all combat damage this turn.
0/1

Challenge: Something else with higher CMC than combined P/T. Bonus points if it's an eldrazi.

1pwny
2015-10-05, 08:56 PM
Hmmm. I wouldn't put it at common, maybe at uncommon. It's ability is a weak Bladetusk Boar, but it costs 1 less mana, gives you a free Fog, but is weaker.

Not Rare-quality, but a nerf might be in order.

Scum Scion 2BB
Creature - Eldrazi Scion (R)
Devoid (~ is colorless)
Whenever a nontoken permanent (including Scum Scion) is put into a graveyard from play, put a 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion token into play with "Sacrifice this creature: Add 1 to your mana pool."
2/1

Challenge: Something for the new block, but not an Eldrazi.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-06, 12:01 AM
Eldrazi Scions are token-only. You do not want any creature cards with that type.
A 2/1 body is strange at 4 mana. The effect is powerful, but considering it doesn't come with any other scions at the outset, it could perhaps be a little bit bigger. 3/2, maybe? It probably won't make too many scions in the average game, perhaps 2 to 3 at most, but could be abused to make a lot more than that. Make this a Drone rather than a Scion, raise its stats a bit, and it's a great card.

Seek Refuge 1W
Enchantment (U)
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a quest counter on Seek Refuge.
W, Remove a quest counter from Seek Refuge: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to and dealt by target creature this turn.

Next: Something representing artistry.

Gandariel
2015-10-06, 12:13 PM
That's. ... a complicated, swappable, weaker Pacifism.
And I guess it can defend your dudes from lightning bolts.
The extra versatility *may* be worth the W cost each time, and U is a correct rarity, complexity-wise.

Creature - Avatar R
Whenever a creature damaged by ~ this turn dies, ~ gains all of its abilities.
GG, T: ~ fights target creature.
5/5
you can chase perfection, but never reach it. That's why I never stop running

I guess it's kinda artsy ? The research-of-perfection thing.

Next, something very Johnny.

r2d2go
2015-10-06, 01:35 PM
I think it's too strong - Very powerful, repeatable removal, ramping power, decent combo potential and a large, on-curve body makes this frankly terrifying. I'd drop the P/T by 1, bump the cost by 1, something like that.

Mistburn Paragon 2(R/U)(R/U)(R/U)
Creature - Weird U
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, untap ~. It gains +1/+1 until end of turn.
U, T - Draw a card.
R, T - Deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Challenge: Something that could be described as a "swiss army knife".

braveheart
2015-10-06, 02:29 PM
It's a good fun weird, but a CMC of 5 it's overcosted, it either needs more power and toughness or a lower cost

Monochrome 3
Creature - Elemental - R
Colorset (this spell is the colors of mana spent to cast it)
You may only spend mana of 1 color to cast ~
If ~ is White, it has doublestrike
If ~ is Blue, it has flying
If ~ is Black, it has deathtouch and lifelink
If ~ is Red, it has Haste and Menace
If ~ is Green, it has Trample, and when ~ enters the battlefield put a +1/+1 counter on it
2/3

I'm aware of the memory issue, so if you have any suggestions to fix that about the color set ability please share

Something either with Colorset, or a 5 colored spell

Jormengand
2015-10-06, 03:36 PM
You can mark it with counters, even if the ability doesn't technically put the game objects known as Counters on it. Lifelink Deathtouch is easily the most powerful, but even the 3/4 trample for 2G isn't exactly shabby either - I think that WBG is probably the way to go here, meaning that the thing deals minimum 5 damage to face if the blocker isn't indestructible. Effectively, it's just too powerful.

Prismatic Smite 5
Sorcery - R
Colourset (Prismatic smite is each colour of mana spent to cast it)
Coloursickness - For each colour of mana you didn't spend to cast Prismatic Smite, each player sacrifices a creature of that colour.

Next: Another card which could be different colours at different times.

braveheart
2015-10-06, 04:04 PM
You missed the part where monochrome had to be cast with only 1 color of mana

I didn't see how the Colorset part of it adds a thing to the card, but it is a good idea, and very good for multiplayer, 1v1 it might be lackluster though

Prismatic Bannerman 3
Creature - Human - U
Colorset (this spell is the colors of mana spent to cast it)
Other creatures you control that share a color with ~ get +1/+1
2/2

Something that does interesting things with colors

r2d2go
2015-10-07, 02:25 PM
Comparable to Adaptive Automaton, but probably better - easier to use. Should probably be Rare, or weaker (3/3 for 4, or all creatures of that color), maybe both.

Prismatic Spray 3
Sorcery - U
Colorset (This spell is the colors of mana spent to cast it)
Choose a creature.
If ~ is white, it can't attack or block until end of turn.
If ~ is blue, it gets -3/-0 until end of turn.
If ~ is black, it gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
If ~ is red, deal 2 damage to it.
If ~ is green, it must attack or block if able this turn.

Challenge: Something with an interaction between existing mechanics (e.g. First Strike + Deathtouch). Bonus points if it's simple.

braveheart
2015-10-08, 03:00 PM
My only complaint is that if you pay white, green is useless, and if you want the green effect you can't use white mana

Goliath Murderer 3BG
Creature - Beast, Zombie - R
Deathtouch,Trample
"I don't know what it was, but it's out for blood" - survivor
4/4

(1 damage to each blocker and the rest goes through)

Make a black elemental

Jurai
2015-10-08, 03:04 PM
I'd run it, perhaps reduce the cost to 4 CMC.

Umbra Elemental 3B
Creature- Elemental R
Shadow
"Hang on, did that shadow just destroy the lamp?" Ivar Torash, Umbramancer of Innistrad.
3/4

Challenge: Make a creature that removes abilities from other creatures.

Zaydos
2015-10-08, 03:04 PM
Goliath Murderer 3BG
Creature - Beast, Zombie - R
Deathtouch,Trample
"I don't know what it was, but it's out for blood" - survivor
4/4

(1 damage to each blocker and the rest goes through)

It's one of the classics, and my own first thought when I saw the challenge, but sort of boring. It's better than 4/4 Flying by some extent and worse than 4/4 unblockable so might could have made it at Uncommon.

Make a black elemental

Darkness Elemental 3BB
Creature - Elemental C
Shadow
3/6
Never rest easy within the other world for any shadow may be alive.

Challenge: Make a fairy.

1pwny
2015-10-08, 04:55 PM
Welp, let's compare to other Shadow and unblockable cards...
Infiltrator il-Kor is Blue, cmc 5, 3/1 with Shadow and suspend 2. In reality, being a 3/6 is probs more or less equal to 3/1 with shadow in play, so maybe.
All in all, considering the intimidate and fear things that are online at 5 for Black, I'll say it's fair.

Flicker Thief 1(U/B)
Creature - Faerie Rogue (C)
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player reveals a card at random from his/her hand. If it's not a land, you gain 1 life.
1/1

Challenge: Something that mocks internet/forum culture.

Jurai
2015-10-08, 05:28 PM
Interesting idea. I'd run it.

Assassin of Cognition 4UB
Creature- Ninja M
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may choose another target for a an opponent's spell.
When ~ is sent to the graveyard, target opponent must discard two cards from his hand.
Ninjutsu 3UB (3UB, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
"Guys, there's something here." Last words of Korin Sadasar, Kor Tombguide.
4/4

Challenge: Don't get ninja'd this timeNinjas. Ninjas everywhere.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-08, 08:01 PM
Trying to do too many things with little cohesion. Flash and ninjutsu actively conflict with one another. Flash plus spell redirection is good, but has been done before. And the discard effect has nothing to do with anything else on the card. And activating by being sent to the graveyard from anywhere is too easily abusable.

Shadowspawn 1B
Creature - Naga Ninja (U)
When Shadowspawn deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards a card.
Morph 2B
3/1

Next: Remake a legendary creature from Legends.

braveheart
2015-10-09, 11:14 AM
Nice guy to have some fun with, and if he ever gets through you get a nice bonus, worth it as his casting cost, but maybe it should be a megamorph instead

Banglesh 1G
Legendary Creature - Tiger - R
~ cannot be blocked by more than 1 creature.
Banglesh is one of very few creatures to have tasted a kami and lived.
3/3

A feline of some kind

Jurai
2015-10-09, 02:57 PM
Odd, and in a red deck capable of giving him Menace, he's unblockable.

Grumpy Leopard 2GU
Creature- Cat R
Hexproof, Protection from Creatures.
~ cannot be countered.
"No." The last word of his victims.
3/3

Challenge: An Internet meme.

Jormengand
2015-10-09, 03:11 PM
So, it can't be Damaged/Enchanted/Blocked/Targeted by creatures, and can't be targeted by anything else either? Uncounterability is nearly pointless, too, because almost all counterspells target (off the top of my head, one can be overloaded).

Rare Pepe 2WW
Legendary Creature - Frog R (Un)
Protection from nonrares.
How about those rare pepes eh?
2/4

Next: Something else with an interesting protection.

braveheart
2015-10-09, 04:25 PM
He's balanced, and depending on format he could prove very powerful (especially limited)

Holy Light 1WWW
Enchantment - R
Creatures you control have protection from Demons, Vampires, and Zombies.

Something with a triggered ability

Ninjaman
2015-10-09, 04:44 PM
That is really weak. Elite inquisitor has pretty much those abilites on a relevant body, and didn't see much play because that protection is not as good as it may seem. On an enchantment it is really underwhelming.

Ice Fang Drake - 2U
Creature - Drake - U
Flying
Whenever Ice Fang Drake deals combat damage to an opponent, tap target creature that player controls. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2/1

Another drake.

Tom the Mime
2015-10-09, 07:22 PM
Seems fine. Good synergy between flying and ability activated on combat damage to a player.

Rot Tooth Drake 2B
Creature - Drake U
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, put a -1/-1 on target creature they control.
2/1

Next challenge: continue the cycle

braveheart
2015-10-09, 08:54 PM
Fits the cycle and is balanced for cost

Flame Tooth Drake
Creature - Drake - U
Flying
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, deal 2 damage to target creature that player controls
2/1

White or green for the cycle

Blue Ghost
2015-10-09, 09:42 PM
That's really freaking strong. I'm not sure if the other members of the cycle are balanced either, but I'm pretty sure that this one is way too strong for limited.

Light-Eye Drake 2W
Creature - Drake (U)
Flying
Whenever Light-Eye Drake deals combat damage to a player, untap target creature.
2/1

Next: Finish off the cycle.

Ionbound
2015-10-09, 10:06 PM
Pretty decent, as far as I can see. Untap is always good, though I'm not sure if it's a white mechanic or not. Seems like it's been in Red these days.

Barkscale Drake-2G

Creature - Drake - U

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature that you control.

2/1

Challenge: Make a white/black card that interacts with life-gain or life-drain in some way.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-09, 10:53 PM
It's... well, since it doesn't have flying, it's not incredibly strong - probably a little better than it looks, but beatable even in a best-case scenario. Naturally, not flying also means it doesn't fit in the cycle very well. Letting green in the cycle at all is kind of a tricky prospect, though; I imagine this is as good a way to handle it as any.

Stockpile Infester WB
Creature - Rat U
Lifelink
If you would gain life, you may instead put a 1/1 black Rat creature token onto the battlefield. (This replaces all life gained in that one instance.)
1/2

Challenge! Make a soldier, or something that would fit in Soldier Tribal.

Jurai
2015-10-09, 11:17 PM
Hmm... With all the ways to gain life in Black, that could be scary.

Strict Orders 1WWR
Instant U
All Soldier creatures you control gain one of Vigilance, First Strike, Trample, Haste, or Lifelink.
All Soldier creatures you control must attack this turn if able.
"No retreat, no mercy, no surrender, no defeat." Creed of the Storm Knights of Kavak-marus.

Challenge: A card that interacts with token creatures.

Ninjaman
2015-10-10, 08:23 AM
That is way too expensive for such a specific ability, even if it had given them all of the keywords.

Minwak, Prophet of the Masses - 1GW
Creature - Elf Druid - R
At the beginning of your upkeep put a 1/1 green saproling creature onto the battlefield.
Creature tokens you control get +1/+1
2/2

Compare to creakwood liege

Another untraditional lord.

Jurai
2015-10-10, 10:21 AM
That would be mean in an Elf deck.

Nissa Revane, Matriarch of Perlieu 2GGG
Planeswalker- Nissa M
+3: All Land Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of turn.
0: Search your deck for a land. Put it on the battlefield tapped, and then shuffle your library.
-7: You gain an emblem that says "All Land Creatures you control gain "If this creature would be destroyed, instead tap it. It cannot be untapped next turn."

Challenge: An artifact-focused planeswalker.

braveheart
2015-10-11, 11:24 AM
Building an army of bear tokens sounds fun, cost might be low, but it may still be printable as is

Corpse Trainer 3B
Creature - Human, Wizard - U
Zombie creatures you control have Trample
~'s power and toughness are equal to the number of zombie creatures you control
*/*

Make a card with 2 colors, 1 of which is red

Zaydos
2015-10-11, 01:02 PM
That would be mean in an Elf deck.

Not worth using. Imperious Perfect is probably better (applies to all elves not just tokens, but does need a G plus T to make a token each round) and doesn't require you to use White. It's also elves you end up with untap effects and ways to get mana.

Nissa Revane, Matriarch of Perlieu 2GGG
Planeswalker- Nissa M
+3: All Land Creatures you control gain +1/+1 until end of turn.
0: Search your deck for a land. Put it on the battlefield tapped, and then shuffle your library.
-7: You gain an emblem that says "All Land Creatures you control gain "If this creature would be destroyed, instead tap it. It cannot be untapped next turn."

The +3 is weak but a plus three, still feels dirty to be + so high but probably works especially with a 2GGG cost. The +0 should probably be a -1, however, but again at 5 mana might work, by this point you don't need too many more lands. The -7 is good, but it's one shot and you get there fast and then have... a permanent that say during your turn you either get an extra land which could be good as it's also a creature or +1/+1 to your creatures. Also the emblem should just say they're regenerated and cannot be untapped next turn, anti-regen is no longer really a thing, and it just works easier and the main times this would be an advantage are when it shouldn't be.

Challenge: An artifact-focused planeswalker.

Corpse Trainer 3B
Creature - Human, Wizard - U
Zombie creatures you control have Trample
~'s power and toughness are equal to the number of zombie creatures you control
*/*

That is a major ninja.

So a big/big for 4 which grants your zombies trample. Took me a moment to realize it's not a zombie itself which seriously undercuts its power. If you're going for numbers with zombies you have 2/2s which don't care much for trample, and if you're going for big zombies he's better but... a standard lord (2/2 for 3) that granted +1/+1 and trample would be better and I feel this probably could be 2B but it'd need some testing and might end up as 3B or 1BB or 1UB depending upon block.

Make a card with 2 colors, 1 of which is red

So since there were two challenges...

Dvalk, the Forger 2RW
Planeswalker - Dvalk MR
+1: Target creature gets +2/+2 and vigilance until end of turn, you may attach an equipment you control to that creature.
-2: Put a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token onto the battlefield.
-6: You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep you may search your library or graveyard for an equipment card and put it onto the battlefield attached to a creature you control."

Challenge: Wizards has decided for the next block dwarf will be a tribe spread between Red and White. As their newest hot shot developer with an attitude it is your job to make these dwarves. Give us one.

1pwny
2015-10-11, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure how many RW decks are equipment based, so... hmm.... I might have made him Red/Blue (because blue is more artifacty), but he's not Izzet either. As for his actual shtick, his +1 might be a tad strong. Maybe bring it down to +1/+1?

Dwarven Polymorphist 2RW
Creature - Dwarf Wizard U
1R, T: Target creature becomes a 3/2 Orc and must attack this turn if able, until end of turn.
1/3

Challenge: Dwarfs are anti-orc. Make an anti-orc dwarf for this set.

Ionbound
2015-10-11, 05:07 PM
That is one bad dwarf, if he's making orcs. In general, the actual mechanic is hard to judge, but it's either amazing or terrible. I'm just not sure which.

Dwarven Orc-Hunter-RW

Creature-Dwarf Warrior-U

First Strike

If ~ blocks an orc or becomes blocked by an orc, it gains Deathtouch until the end of the turn.

2/2

Challenge: Create a werewolf, vampire, or zombie planeswalker.

Jurai
2015-10-11, 06:40 PM
Now, see, that's something flavorful and fun to run.

Sorin, Glorious Savior 2BBW
Planeswalker- Sorin M
+2: Target creature gains deathtouch or lifelink until end of turn.
-3: Target opponent sacrifices a creature. If it's an Eldrazi, all creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn.
-6: You gain an emblem that says "Whenever an Eldrazi creature is sent to the graveyard, you gain two life."

Challenge: Give me a break, give me a break, give me a creature with Modular.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-11, 09:56 PM
So, today we're just appointing Sorin as the one true anti-Eldrazi planeswalker? Honestly, the first ability is still the best. It's easy to decipher and feels like a Sorin shtick. The other two are narrow even in the best of circumstances, and they don't feel particularly like anything Sorin would do.

Scrap Golem - 3
Artifact Creature - Golem C
Defender, Modular 3 (This enters the battlefield with 3 +1/+1 counters. When it dies, you may move all +1/+1 counters from it to target artifact creature.)
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, Scrap Golem can attack as though it didn't have defender until end of turn.
0/0

Challenge! Make something that can interact with +1/+1 counters, but doesn't enter the battlefield with any. (It doesn't even have to be a permanent.)

Jurai
2015-10-12, 02:18 AM
Nifty. Sound, seems eminently printable.

Consensus of Chrome 6
Sorcery R
All Artifact Creatures with +1/+1 counters on them gain Exalted until end of turn.
You may move any number of +1/+1 counters on Artifact Creatures to other Artifact Creatures.
Acquiring sentience is easy. Acquiring consensus is not.

Challenge: We dig giant robots, I dig giant robots, you dig giant robots, chicks dig giant robots (NICE!), so I want a giant robot.

braveheart
2015-10-12, 10:00 AM
That's a pretty strong ability of you have a way to get a bit through

Megas XLR 7
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct - R
Trample, deathtouch
When ~ enters the battlefield each player sacrafice a a nonartifact Creature
When ~ dies put a 1/1 Coup human token with "6, T sacrafice Coup: Put ~ onto the battlefield from your graveyard" onto the battlefield
Living here in jersey fighting villains from afar
You Got to find first gear in your giant robot car
YOU DIG GIANT ROBOTS, I DIG GIANT ROBOTS, WE DIG GIANT ROBOTS, CHICKS DIG GIANT ROBOTS, nice.
7/5

Make a 0/0 creature

Gandariel
2015-10-12, 01:34 PM
I feel like there's some reference I'm missing here.

Card looks Ok anyways. The ETB effect is nice in an Artifact deck.

Shan'doro Wielder W
Creature - Human R
Double strike, Lifelink.
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may attach any number of Equipments you control to it.
0/0

No idea if this is way underpowered or overpowered. Looks fun though.

Next, start a cycle of Spirit creatures.

Jurai
2015-10-12, 01:56 PM
Remove Double Strike. There are enough equipment cards that grant it.

Silver Wraith 2W
Artifact Creature- Spirit
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target Artifact your opponent controls. While that artifact is exiled, ~'s Power and Toughness are equal to the converted mana cost of that card.
Sometimes objects come into spirits of their own. Sometimes spirits come into objects of their own.
X/X

Challenge: Continue the cycle. It must have some interaction with artifacts.

braveheart
2015-10-12, 04:06 PM
You forgot to give it a rarity, but I can see that one possibly being uncommon, but it'd probably be rare

Forge Flame Ghyst 1R
Artifact Creature - Spirit - U
Flying
Tap an Articat you control: ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn
0/3

Continue the cycle in U,B, or G

Jurai
2015-10-12, 04:10 PM
What's an Articat?

Tome Haunt 2U
Artifact Creature- Spirit U
Flying, Scry 1
Words have power. Sometimes it's knowledge, other times it's the ability to inflict concussions.
1/3

Challenge: Continue the cycle. Black and Green remain.

braveheart
2015-10-12, 04:47 PM
When furs that scy occur? Is it on etb? Is it on cast, is it on damage to a player, or on attack, each one is differing in strength, I'm guessing you meant on attack which makes it a bit strong

The Echoing Dead 2B
Creature - Spirit - U
When ~ enters the battlefield exile target creature from an opponent's Graveyard, ~'s power and toughness are equal to the power and toughness of the exiled creature.
*/*

A green spirit to finish the cycle

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-13, 12:35 AM
I'd say that this thing is completely bonkers, but it does specify your opponent's graveyard, which actually makes it quite tricky to use. You only reliably have access to a power/toughness combination that you yourself have already been able to deal with, so it's hard to make it over-powered. It works best when you're playing a mill deck against a green ramp deck, and even then the ramp deck should have no trouble keeping up. Still, it's an effect that would probably be more comfortable at rare just because it's so weird.

I'm really not sure what's connecting this cycle together except that it's all spirits. ...actually, weren't they supposed to be artifacts?

Refugee Tanglewisp 1G
Artifact Creature - Spirit C
Reach
1G, Sacrifice Refugee Tanglewisp: Destroy target artifact.
2/1

Challenge: Make something land-related, or a land that's related to something other than lands.

Zaydos
2015-10-13, 01:00 AM
Refugee Tanglewisp 1G
Artifact Creature - Spirit C
Reach
1G, Sacrifice Refugee Tanglewisp: Destroy target artifact.
2/1

I'd say its sac effect should be just G. You can get 2/2 reach or 1/3 reach or 2/1 reach deathtouch ELF for the same mana and 1 mana can get you a 1/1 G,T sac to destroy artifacts already.

Challenge: Make something land-related, or a land that's related to something other than lands.

Totte, the Wayfarer 1G
Legendary Creature - Human Druid R
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control if you control no other lands with the same name you may put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is put on ~ you may search your library for a land with the same name as another land you control and put it onto the battlefield under your control.
1/1

Challenge: A song.

Jurai
2015-10-13, 01:04 AM
Interesting. I could actually see the cycle seeing print.

Library of Souls
Legendary Artifact Land M
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1, T: Put a 0/1 colorless Spirit creature token on the battlefield.
1, Sacrifice a Spirit, T: draw a card, then put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library. ~ does not untap during your next upkeep.
A realm of books unsorted, knowledge uncollected, and the dead forgotten.That's what I get for not checking the time.

Interesting, though with all the ways that Green has to put +1/+1 counters down, I could see that getting hairy pretty quickly.

Angelic Ballad 2RRW
Sorcery R
Choose a creature type. You gain 1 life for every creature of that type you control. If you chose Angels, all Angel creatures you control gain +0/+1 until end of turn.
"Song is a many-faceted gem: a balm for suffering, a focus for joy, a bastion for the defenseless, a sword for the downtrodden." Winged Inspiration, Boros Marshal.

Challenge: A cheery card.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-13, 01:31 AM
The ballad's overall effect is so minor and conditional that it would most likely cost just a single white mana. That combination of abilities isn't the least bit red, either... it feels like you originally had an idea for something attacking-related, but forgot to actually put it on the card.

Playful Brushwagg 1(g/w)
Creature - Brushwagg C
Whenever Playful Brushwagg blocks, is blocked, or becomes the target of a spell or ability, it gets -2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge! Make something useful against an opponent who has several huge attackers coming your way.

braveheart
2015-10-13, 02:19 AM
Fun little guy, printable but I'd never actually use it

Black Flame Wall 2RB
Creature - Wall - R
Defender, First strike, Deathtouch
When ~ deals combat damage, it deals 1 damage to target creature then sacrafice ~
1/3

Make an uncommon

r2d2go
2015-10-13, 01:47 PM
Well, it conditionally kills two things. It's anti-aggro in aggro colors though, I'd like it better as B/W.

Blood Rebirth (R/B)(R/B)(R/B)
Sorcery - U
Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield.
If R was paid for ~, it gains haste until end of turn.
Unless B was paid for ~, sacrifice it at the end of turn.

Challenge: Something else that's all colored mana. Or, something else that's an "improved" version of an existing card. This one's Torrent of Souls (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=368511). Bonus points for both.

braveheart
2015-10-13, 04:10 PM
Interesting, so RRR to get your creature back, or some combination of both colors to unearth it

Proportionate Costs WU(W/U)(W/U)
Enchantment - R
Creatures may not attack you unless their controller pays (X), where (X) is the power of the attacking creature.

Something nice for a control deck

r2d2go
2015-10-13, 05:31 PM
Interesting, so RRR to get your creature back, or some combination of both colors to unearth it

Notice the "unless" on the black condition - if you pay RRR it's unearth, if you pay BBB it's a straight necro, if you pay a combination it's a necro with haste.

Proportionate Costs WU(W/U)(W/U)
Enchantment - R
Creatures may not attack you unless their controller pays (X), where (X) is the power of the attacking creature.

Seems decent. Prevents a single beater from putting you on a short clock, but is much worse at stopping the swarm-y aggro decks than Propaganda. I'd make it (W/U)(W/U)(W/U) and uncommon.

Interpose 2U
Instant - U
Split Second
Choose one:
-Counter target spell unless its owner pays 2.
-Put target attacking creature on top of its owner's library.
-Tap target permanent. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Challenge: Something else with Split Second. Or, another splashable monocolor charm. Bonus points for both.

Edit: Or just a monocolor thing, I guess :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-10-15, 11:57 PM
All three are at the current cost for their individual abilities, and only rarity makes you pay for the option, it might be a hair too good, but I'm not sure

Pure Power 1GGG
Instant - U
Target Creature loses all abilities and it's power and toughness become 6/6 until end of turn

Something with devoid

Gandariel
2015-10-16, 04:25 AM
It is... well, weak?
I mean, the occasions where you'd cast it on an enemy are very rare, and otherwise why not just use Giant Growth?

The Silencer 5
Creature - Eldrazi R
T: Put a desolation counter on target land and a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever a land with a desolation counter on it is tapped for mana, it produces (1) instead.
3/5

No idea on power level. Considered "put a counter on UP TO TWO lands", and "for as long as ~ is on the battlefield, ...."

Next, make a black combat trick

Jurai
2015-10-16, 11:37 AM
You missed listing Devoid, though since it's colorless already, it may count anyway.

Midnight Slash 2B
Enchantment-Aura M
Enchant Creature
When enchanted creature attacks, you may sacrifice ~ to grant it Death Touch and First Strike until end of turn.
"Even this target is unworthy of my blade. May I find a better use for it this night."

Challenge: Something mythical.

Ionbound
2015-10-18, 04:20 PM
I feel like one-off of either of those keywords is probably worth one mana, but even they're really strong together, since you can only use it when the creature it's attached to attacks, the card effectively reads 'this creature becomes unblockable this turn'. Which, while a useful effect, it less useful than the intended use of removing a creature. 7/10.

Raziel, Archangel of Mysteries-3UW

Legendary Creature-Angel-MR

Flying

Whenever ~ is turned fact up, you man turn all other face-down creatures you control face up.

Morph-4UUW

Challenge: Create another Archangel

Jurai
2015-10-18, 04:48 PM
That's an interesting card. Does flipping cards up proc Megamorph or abilities that require the Morph effect to occur? It's not an ability I've used before. Also, needs Power and Toughness

Gabriel, the Messenger 4URW
Legendary Creature- Angel
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Instant or Sorcery card. If you do, reveal it, and shuffle your library.
7/8

Challenge: A Legendary Enchantment.

Zaydos
2015-10-18, 05:34 PM
Gabriel, the Messenger 4URW
Legendary Creature- Angel
Flash
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Instant or Sorcery card. If you do, reveal it, and shuffle your library.
7/8

I'd make it 7/7 but add Flying. Also are you supposed to put the revealed card into hand? I imagine you are since if you cast it/put it into play then you don't need to reveal it. Needs a rarity (R), and even then doesn't feel legendary at all. Really I'd make it a W/U 6 drop with less power and toughness, unless I was making it play the card at which point it becomes powerful with really expensive sorcery/instants and might need an anti-res clause.

Challenge: A Legendary Enchantment.

Samhain Night 3BB
Legendary Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature dies put a charge counter on ~.
Black creatures you control gain +X/+X where X is the number of charge counters on ~.

Challenge: Another holiday.

Jurai
2015-10-18, 05:39 PM
Festive.

It's Like Christmas Over Here! 3RG
Legendary Enchantment R
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
Whenever you attach an Equipment to a creature, gain 1 life.

Challenge: Loot.

Jormengand
2015-10-18, 07:05 PM
Draw doubling and minor life gain seems WU, though it could pass for UG. There is no reason for it to be legendary.

Loot the Corpses! 2BR
Sorcery - R
For each creature in target player's graveyard, draw a card. At the end of your turn, discard X cards, where X is the number of cards you drew this way.
You'd be surprised what dead people just leave lying around.

Next: Another multicolour sorcery.

Zaydos
2015-10-18, 07:17 PM
Loot the Corpses! 2BR
Sorcery - R
For each creature in target player's graveyard, draw a card. At the end of your turn, discard X cards, where X is the number of cards you drew this way.
You'd be surprised what dead people just leave lying around.

This reminds me of Grim Flowering (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=262842). However this is any player's graveyard (instead of your own), 2 CMC less, and Rare, but makes you have to discard at end of turn. It has an interesting niche (either heavy looting or to play when top decking and try to unload your hand of a lot of low cost cards in a row or fuel discard effects) and is probably fairly balanced especially since Grim Flowering probably should have been 4G or 3GG.

Next: Another multicolour sorcery.

Condemn the Mighty 4WB
Sorcery - R
Exile all creatures with power greater than target creature's.
And the meek shall inherit the planes.

Challenge: Blue-Green enchantment - aura enchant land.

braveheart
2015-10-18, 08:04 PM
It's a good card with the potential to be a obe sided board wipe in the right situation, because it's exile the cost is good, and overall a strong printable card

Aerie of Growth 1UG
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant target land
Enchanted land has "T: target creature gets +2/+2 and flying until end of turn"

Something with deathtouch

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-18, 09:22 PM
As it is, the effect works nicely, though it really wants to be mono-green. It has nothing to do with birds or flying, so even the name is a bit off. Heck, even if it also granted the target flying, it might be more white than blue. The blue-green enchant land challenge is a tricky one, it seems.

EDIT: Oh hey, either you added the flying part or I missed it the first time. Either way, that makes it better.

Venom Shade 3B
Creature - Shade C
Deathtouch
B: Venom Shade gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Challenge! Make a white spell that's meant to target an opponent's creature.

r2d2go
2015-10-19, 01:13 AM
Seems like the type of common WotC would print to have more bad commons in the set :smalltongue: this could probably be 1BB, or 2B and 0/1. Or, to make it more splash-friendly (and mirror Perilous Shadow better), make it get +2/+2 for 2B, and a 0/3 for 2B. Lots of ways to take it. Yours is simple, though, so it's got that going for it.

I'm going to assume straight-up negative effects aren't the challenge's intention (or if they are, I'll challenge myself :smalltongue:)

Nobility 1W
Enchantment - U
Enchanted creature gets -2/+2.
U, Discard a card - counter target activated ability. If it was enchanted creature's ability, draw a card.
A place of power, at a price.

Challenge: Another monocolor card with an activated ability of a different color.

Ninjaman
2015-10-19, 06:31 AM
It's.. different. I feel like it should probably just say that enchanted creature can't activate it's abilities.

Kird Marauder - 1R
Creature - Ape - C
G: Kird Marauder gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Activate this ability only once each turn.
1/2

Another ape

braveheart
2015-10-19, 01:08 PM
It's a very nice common, and I'd defiantly grab it in a draft

Seer of Evils 2UB
(Image of the see no evil monkey)
Creature - Monkey, God - MR
Indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep you may either pay 1 life to draw a card or scry 3
Whenever another player scrys they lose 2 life
2/5

One of the other two monkey gods

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-19, 03:29 PM
Where's the devotion trigger? Or is this monkey god just indestructible all day, in which case, jeez. It draws cards forever and is tricky to deal with; it's not even an enchantment, so the extra exile effects don't even work. Needless to say, it's quite the limited bomb, and even a super-competitive constructed format might like to draw cards and block with that level of reliability. The 'pay 1, draw 1' effect is also pretty solidly mono-black; you don't really need the blue mana in there as it stands, but a minor tweak or two could make it fit into the blue cycle slot pretty easily; the flavor is still fun, and the card-punishment shtick can work for it. Step 1 for me would still be to rip off the god subtype and indestructible tag, though.

Speaker of Evil 3BB
Creature - Demon Ape R
Whenever you draw a card, you may discard a card.
Whenever you discard a card, each opponent loses 3 life.
5/4

Challenge! An ape... that interacts with either the library or the graveyard.

r2d2go
2015-10-19, 04:50 PM
Seems... kind of meh, as far as 5 drops go. The body's nice, the effect means you can turn dead draws into lightning bolts to the face, but unless you're playing a 5 drop in aggro black, I can't see this being very strong. Maybe "Whenever you draw a card, you may have each player discard a card". More black (less like looting), more powerful. Even if it was at the cost of losing P/T, I'd like that better. Still, it's a cool idea!

Archivist of Evil 3BB
Creature - Demon Ape R
B, Discard a card - Exile target card in a graveyard.
X - You may cast a card with CMC X exiled with ~ without paying its mana cost.
It's no god you need to worry about hearing such things, child. It's the demons who will remember.
4/4

Challenge: Something else that exiles.

Zaydos
2015-10-19, 05:14 PM
Archivist of Evil 3BB
Creature - Demon Ape R
B, Discard a card - Exile target card in a graveyard.
X - You may cast a card with CMC X exiled with ~ without paying its mana cost.
It's no god you need to worry about hearing such things, child. It's the demons who will remember.
4/4

Eternal Witness (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=51628) is a very strong rare. This is significantly better and would never see a go in modern.

Challenge: Something else that exiles.

Abyssal Detrivore 2U
Creature - Fish
Ingest (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player exiles the top card of his or her library.)
Opponents must pay 2 extra mana to cast spells with the same name as a face-up exiled card.
1/3

Challenge: More fun things with exiled cards other than bringing them back.

braveheart
2015-10-19, 05:22 PM
So now I'm just picturing a set where black is just evil apes doing rituals to harm their foes but who to fight them, I guess catfolk or loxodons (need to check spelling on elephant people), your card is really powerful in the right situation, but the costs on its abilities are enough to keep it on check, and at 5 mana I think you certainly get what you paid for.

_________________ninja

Interesting, and without testing, it's very difficult to judge in power, it's probably more effective in constructed but that's still difficult to judge

Void Borrower 6
Creature - Nephilum - R
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile any creatures you control
~ has the abilities of all face up exiled creatures.
5/5

Make a green spell

Jormengand
2015-10-19, 06:00 PM
That should either say "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of target creatures you control" or "When ~ enters the battlefield, for each creature you control, you may exile that creature." In any case, it's probably way overpowered. Given that a colourless-based deck could self-mill, drop their graveyard into exile, and then put this down in a sort of "Oh, by the way, I'm basically Emrakul only better because I have (insert neat list of other stuff's abilities)" kind of way.

Monolithic Growth 7GGGGG
Sorcery - R
Target creature gets +20/+20 and trample until end of turn.
Size doesn't mean everything, but it means quite a lot.

Next: Another 12-drop or higher.

Ninjaman
2015-10-20, 02:14 AM
Sick overkill in infect. Difficult to judge and I don't see why you would ever use it, but it's fun design.

Mazvafrail, the Eternal Shadow - 8BBBB
Legendary Creature - Demon - M
Mazvafrail, the Eternal Shadow attacks, destroy all creatures you don't control, then return them to the battlefield under your control.
If Mazvafrail would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal
Mazvafrail and shuffle it into its owner's library instead.

Another rediculously huge card.

Jormengand
2015-10-20, 10:46 AM
It's missing the word "When" and P/T. But in any case, it's a 12-drop with nothing protecting it, so if you can't sneak charge onto it, it's not actually as good as it looks as though it should be.

Ysador Quijuk 4WWPP
Legendary Creature - Human Dreamer MR
Ysador Quijuk canít be countered.
When Ysador enters the battlefield, Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand.).
Creatures you donít control have Silenced (Cards with silenced, and anything attached to them, lose all abilities except having or granting silenced.).
Do not speak for him. If he does not speak for himself, he is a failure.
6/6

Death Giant 2B
Creature - Giant R
When Death Giant dies, you lose 10 life.
8/8

Next: Someone with a hammer.

braveheart
2015-10-20, 04:50 PM
The can't be countered effect feels a little tacked on, but overall it's a strong card, it could probably go for 6 or 7 instead but it's not bad

Sundering Dwarf 2R
Image of a dwarf smashing through a magical shield to strike an enemy
Creature - Dwarf - U
Fist strike
Damage dealt by ~ cannot be prevented in any way
When Orthran learned that his hammer could smash magical shields as well as wooden ones he made sure to teach his clan how.
3/2

Something that prevents damage

Jurai
2015-10-20, 05:16 PM
The can't be countered effect feels a little tacked on, but overall it's a strong card, it could probably go for 6 or 7 instead but it's not bad

Sundering Dwarf 2R
Image of a dwarf smashing through a magical shield to strike an enemy
Creature - Dwarf - U
Fist strike
Damage dealt by ~ cannot be prevented in any way
When Orthran learned that his hammer could smash magical shields as well as wooden ones he made sure to teach his clan how.
3/2

Something that prevents damage

A VERY Dwarven card, laddie!

Shield of Clan Ironhold 6
Legendary Artifact- Equipment
Blazing (This spell is Red.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Dwarf creature card in your hand. If you do so, you may attach it to a Dwarf on the battlefield.
Equipped creature has +2/+4, Vigilance, and First Strike. If equipped creature is a Dwarf, it also gains Hexproof.
Equip 4
"This was me grandfather's grandfather's grandfather's..." The beginning of the Ironhold Clan Rite of Inheritance. It continues like this for several hours.

Challenge: A Dwarf in a color other than Red.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-20, 09:46 PM
You have a keyword just to make cards red? Why? Why does it matter that the card is red? You're using up a line of text, and a whole keyword from the set, for something that has no mechanical impact. They made devoid a keyword only because they literally tried everything else and failed. You do not make meaningless keywords like that.
Requiring a dwarf in your hand and on the battlefield is weird. I suppose it works, but not my preferred execution. I would perhaps make it cost 0 to equip to a dwarf.
Bonuses it gives are all right. It's weird that a shield grants first strike. It already has a bonus for dwarves, so I think that hexproof just for dwarves is unnecessary complexity.
Overall, not too bad a card. Could be cleaned up a bit, and Blazing is an abomination that should not exist, but besides that, it's decent.

Derro Slavetrader 3B
Creature - Dwarf Rogue (R)
When Derro Slavetrader enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls. That creature's owner draws cards equal to its converted mana cost.
2/4

Next: Something else subterranean.

Jurai
2015-10-20, 10:13 PM
That's awful funny, coming from somebody Blue... <.< >.> But your card is flavorful and impressive, and there are several 0 drops in Red that have a line of text saying this card is Red.

Psionic Horror 2BBU
Creature- Squid Horror M
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. That opponent must reveal their hand, and you may play a Sorcery or Instant by paying its converted mana cost.
"Such delicious thoughts... I hope you are just as appetizing as your friend."
2/3

Challenge: Monstrous and Devour.

Zaydos
2015-10-20, 10:26 PM
Psionic Horror 2BBU
Creature- Squid Horror M
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent. That opponent must reveal their hand, and you may play a Sorcery or Instant by paying its converted mana cost.
"Such delicious thoughts... I hope you are just as appetizing as your friend."
2/3

Not sure how this is subterranean, being apparently a Cthulhu referencing deep sea squid more than anything else. Overall it reminds me of Wrexial, and I'd suggest making it 2UUB, and making you cast it for free, though maybe making it merely cast a copy for free. Also it should be target opponent must... not Choose an opponent.

Challenge: Monstrous and Devour.

As a note these two keywords should never appear on the same creature for so many reasons but...

Consumer of Fates 2BR
Creature - Elemental R
Devour 2 (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
2BR: Monstrosity 2. (If this creature isn't monstrous, put two +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters already on it, and it becomes monstrous.)
When ~ becomes monstrous each opponent must sacrifice X creatures, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Consumer of Fates.
1/1

Challenge: A creature from the benighted depths of the abyssal trenches (i.e. deep deep sea critter)

Ninjaman
2015-10-21, 03:14 AM
I seems like it could get really mean, but it's harc enough to get going that it might be okay. Seems like an awesome commander card.

Black Fangtooth - UB
Creature - Fish - U
Black Fangtooth can't be blocked
When Black Fangtooth deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card unless he or she pays 2.
1/1

Another card that specters (causes discard when it hits.)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-22, 12:50 AM
Quite playable, I think! Combining unblockable with that ability seems like it could get obnoxious; in limited, half the time it'll have roughly the same effect as destroying two lands, even with the opponent's choice mixed in. It's not hard to remove, though, so I doubt it's overpowered; it would just make a format really gross to play in if you had to fight too many. As such... just make it rare, I guess? More importantly, the generic-sounding name seems kind of off considering the unique ability. We need something evocative of swimming through the shadows and dragging your opponent into its depths. Or something.:smalltongue:

Shipwreck Specter 1BB
Creature - Specter Pirate R
Flying
Whenever Shipwreck Spectre deals combat damage to a creature, that creature's controller discards a card at random.
2/2

Challenge! Make something that puts a card on the bottom of its owner's library.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-22, 01:25 AM
I feel like the design would be better without flying. The second ability already functions as a form of pseudo-evasion; putting real evasion on it defeats the purpose and makes the second ability less likely to be relevant. I quite like that ability. Maybe 2/2 is too small for it to be really interesting though. a 2/2 isn't likely to get into fights and survive, so it's going to be largely equivalent to Black Cat's death ability. Maybe it would work better on a 3/3?

Sunken Horror 4UU
Creature - Kraken (M)
Whenever Sunken Horror becomes tapped, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Whenever Sunken Horror becomes untapped, put target creature on the bottom of its owner's library.
5/6

Next: A white dragon.

Ninjaman
2015-10-22, 01:49 AM
I like the design, but I think you could get away with making it a rare. I know I would hate opening it as my mythic.

Solar Dragon - 5WW
Creature - Dragon - Rare
Flying, vigilance
When Solar Dragon attacks, tap all creatures defending player controls.
5/5

Another non-red dragon.

Jurai
2015-10-22, 09:12 AM
Verdure Dragon 5GG
Creature- Dragon R
Flying, Trample
When ~ attacks, you may pay 2G. If you do, search your library for a land, reveal it to your opponent, and put it in your hand.
5/5

Challenge: Continue the cycle: A series of dragons with CMC 7, two colored Mana symbols in the cost, has flying and another ability, and has something to do when it attacks.

r2d2go
2015-10-22, 10:16 AM
Verdure Dragon 5GG
Creature- Dragon R
Flying, Trample
When ~ attacks, you may pay 2G. If you do, search your library for a land, reveal it to your opponent, and put it in your hand.
5/5

Challenge: Continue the cycle: A series of dragons with CMC 7, two colored Mana symbols in the cost, has flying and another ability, and has something to do when it attacks.

Missing a critique.

It's alright, as far as dragons go. I mean, compared to, say, Rith, the Awakener, it's not so good (less P/T, higher cost, worse ability for the same price on a similar trigger), but Rith is pretty good. Still, I think this could be a strong uncommon, since by the time you have 7 mana, more lands is unlikely to be a big concern.

Aquan Dragon 5UU
Creature - Dragon R
Flying, Hexproof
When ~ attacks, you may pay 2U. If you do, Scry 2, then draw a card.
5/5

Challenge: Either continue the cycle, or make a different card with at least 3 of the same number on the card.

Jurai
2015-10-22, 10:36 AM
Whoops. Neato, I'd run it.

Blight-reaver Dragon 5BB
Creature- Dragon R
Flying, Deathtouch.
When ~ attacks, you may sacrifice a creature you control. If you do, target opponent loses life equals to the sacrificed creature's Power and you gain life equal to its toughness.
5/5

Challenge: Finish the cycle. We just need Red.

Gandariel
2015-10-22, 02:09 PM
Ok, someone has gotta be an *******, might as well be me!

Nice card, r2d2go !

If it weren't for the Hexproof, I'd say it's just weak. Seven drop, in blue, should do a bit more than giving you a card, even with the Scrying.
The hexproof gives it something unique, but still I think it's too weak. It is still miles above the Green dragon and miles below the White dragon from earlier, so... yay?

Now, continue the cycle... Red and black are missing... I'll do Black!

Darkscale Dragon 5BB
Creature-dragon R
Flying, Fear.
Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay 2B. If you do destroy target non black creature.
5/5

Next, continue this cycle with the Red variant!
Or, make a cantrip

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-22, 07:26 PM
That is one old-school dragon. Fear and other color-restricted abilities are gradually being phased out these days, but this fits in so well with those old ways of doing things that it still works as a shtick. At 7 mana, the only real question is whether it's fun, and it seems like it is. I like how between flying, fear, and the capacity to kill any thopter blockers, it seems like the only way to stop teh dagron is with another dagron.

Ragewyrm 5RR
Creature - Dragon MR
Flying
Whenever Ragewyrm attacks, you may discard your hand. If you do, tap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. It is attacking the same player or planeswalker as Ragewyrm.
5/5

Challenge! Make something to help deal with all these big flying creatures.

Jurai
2015-10-22, 07:32 PM
Netcaster Arachnid 3GG
Creature- Spider U
Reach, Deathtouch
When ~ deals combat damage to a creature with flying, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Sometimes, the mightiest of predators is taken down by the simplest of tools.
4/7

Challenge: Don't get mad, get even.

Gandariel
2015-10-23, 04:55 AM
You insist in not commenting cards, going to ignore your post. Sorry.

So, DrGunsfohands!

Sweet card! If your opponent does have an opposing flier, you just have him side with you. Using the ability just to clear a chump blocker feels like a waste, but it can come in handy.
Also, the"discard your hand " is really well thought, since it's exactly the cost you're OK with paying with a high cost Red finisher.

Something to deal with fliers....

Netslinger 2W
Creature - Human U
1W: target creature loses flying until the end of turn. If it had flying, ~ deals 1 damage to it.
1/3
i got him!

Next up, make an engine (in whatever meaning of the term)

Ninjaman
2015-10-23, 05:59 AM
It looks silly at first but at second look it is really clever. For an uncommon I would make him a bit better though, either 2/3, 1/4 or cheaper.

Chaos Engine - 2
Artifact - U
T: Add one mana of a random color to your mana pool.

Another mana rock.

Jurai
2015-10-23, 09:37 AM
Do forgive my decision to not be petty, Gandariel. Ahem. Randomness does not balance. At all. Ramp it up to Rare (or, even better, Mythic Rare).

Zodiac Monolith 4
Artifact- Mythic Rare
Tap target Black creature you control: Add U or R to your mana pool. If you pay 1, you may add G or W to your mana pool instead.
Tap target Blue creature you control: Add W or B to your mana pool. If you pay 1, you may add R or G to your mana pool instead.
Tap target Green creature you control: Add R or W to your mana pool. If you pay 1, you may add U or B to your mana pool instead.
Tap target Red creature you control: Add B or G to your mana pool. If you pay 1, you may add U or W to your mana pool instead.
Tap target White creature you control: Add U or G to your mana pool. If you pay 1, you may add B or R to your mana pool instead.

Challenge: Another card that interacts with tapping creatures.

r2d2go
2015-10-23, 11:45 AM
It's... Really over complicated. Instead of 10 lines, make it two and say "Tap a creature you control: Add 1 mana of a color not in that creature's mana cost". In any case, it's probably more of a rare than MR. Cool idea though.

On a different note, you have to say "untapped creature" or you can tap tapped creatures.

It's kinda part of the thread to give critique. Some might view nonexistent, overly simple and/or non-mechanic critique as a sort of shirking of duties.

Volley-Leader 1GG
Creature - Elf R
Tap an untapped elf you control: You may deal 1 damage to target creature with flying. ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Another lord-like creature without actually giving a buff to all creatures of a type.

Blue Ghost
2015-10-23, 09:48 PM
The two abilities feel really dissonant. You need to have a flying target for this to get the +1/+1, which sometimes would mean providing your own flying creatures. And the two effects have totally different focuses, which feels really weird flavorfully and aesthetically.

Consul's Scoutmaster 2U
Creature - Human Advisor (U)
Whenever a Thopter enters the battlefield under your control, you may draw a card, then discard a card.
2/3

Next: A blue or red monocolored demon.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-23, 11:25 PM
This feels so much like an Air Piracy card that I automatically want to make the theme deck it goes in. :smalltongue: It's peculiar for not bringing any of its own Thopters to the party, but since it's clearly intended for the same set that all of the thopter-generators in Origins came from, there should be more than enough hints that they're a thing even within the same pack. The devs might end up downgrading it to a 2/2, since it still gets good value in the right deck and blue isn't known for efficient creatures, but that depends on the overall creature quality of the set and stuff.

Anyway. Something for the silly Sol'Kanar commander deck, eh?

Laplace's Demon 5UU
Creature - Demon MR
Flying
Your opponents play with their hands revealed.
1: Reveal the top 10 cards of target player's library. If that player would shuffle his or her library this turn, he or she instead reveals the top 10 cards of that library, shuffles the rest, and puts those cards back on top of it in order.
6/8

Challenge! Make a pump spell with an unusual side-effect.

Haruki-kun
2015-10-24, 09:35 AM
The Winged Mod: Guys, please remember to follow the rules of the thread, and not turn it into a back and forth conversation.

Jormengand
2015-10-24, 09:52 AM
{Scrubbed}
Anyway, it's a big expensive demon that doesn't really achieve a great deal apart from being an on-curve flyer. Which is actually its main selling point, here.

Mage Power 2(B/G)
Enchantment - R
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each mana in your mana pool.
Whenever you cast a spell, put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
The magic empowers, the flux destroys.

Next: A card which uses the idea of true names.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-25, 02:49 AM
It's weird, but of course you knew that. The first ability seems needlessly confusing... mana drains at end of combat, so you can't spend it after using the benefit barring extreme shenanigans. It'll probably result in a lot of really annoying judge calls compared to the near-identical, "1: Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn." I'd have to recommend changing it to the more typical version of the ability. Beyond that, this card is basically a more interesting Unstable Mutation, and would probably get away with being a mono-black common or uncommon since the drawback doesn't feel green and the benefit doesn't feel blue. Then you could change the name to Shadeform or something cool like that. Still, I do like how it is just as good as a removal spell, yet neither mode really feels like you're doing it wrong.

Terrestrial Truenamer 1GG
Creature - Human Druid R
At the beginning of your upkeep, name a land card, then reveal the top card of target player's library. If it's the named card, put it onto the battlefield under your control.
2/3

Challenge! Make another look-at-top-of-library creature. It can be a member of this weird Truenamer cycle if you feel like it, but it doesn't have to be.

braveheart
2015-10-25, 11:33 AM
I don't like the truenamer abilitie, because even in constructed, (where you'd have the best chance of getting what you want, you only have about a 1 in 12 chance of getting something out each turn, and that is too inconsistent, and if you were to mane say emurkul and you flip it, you can get them as early as turn 4, and if you are using top deck manipulation that could seriously boost the chances and make the card broken. It's just too swingy in power

Izzet Spelltester 2UR
Creature-Human, Wizard-U
At the beginning of your upkeep you may look at the top card of your library, if it is an instant or sorcery you may cast it without paying it's mana cost.
2/3

An instant or sorcery

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-25, 03:32 PM
if you were to mane say emurkul and you flip it, you can get them as early as turn 4... It's just too swingy in power

I think you misread a word in the truenamer's text. More to the point: Emrakul isn't a land. :smalltongue:

The spelltester seems pretty fun. With the right sorceries, you can combo out with it almost as well as with the Emrakul business, but it requires some setup and gives your opponent a turn to stop you. I almost wanted to tell you to make it mono-red, but blue has a decent number of bouncing and freezing spells that you could take advantage of this way. I'm pretty sure that a card with this ability already exists somewhere, but if you did beat wizards to it, good work. :smalltongue:

Induce Vertigo (w/u)
Intant - C
Exile target creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped.

Challenge! Make something with a great enters-the-battlefield effect, but that might not be worth it to keep around after that.

r2d2go
2015-10-25, 07:04 PM
Not half bad. It's simple enough to be a common, but strong enough to get played (after all, half the time flickers will be targeted at things like Mulldrifter or Thragtusk at the end of your opponent's turn). The extra utility is solid, and the dual-color is nice, especially considering most decks running flicker are multicolored. All in all great :smallbiggrin:

Bladebearer Demon 1BB
Creature - Demon U
Image: A large, armored demon, lumbering onto the battlefield with a Doom Blade (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=370609) on its back.
Intimidate
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you control another Demon, destroy target nonblack creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 2 life.
2/2

Challenge: Another card with a tribal trigger.

Edit: Or another thing that's basically a bad existing card, but made better. This one's pretty much Krenko's Enforcer (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383294) plus a Doomblade.

braveheart
2015-10-28, 02:31 PM
It's just a doom lads bear, it works and is right being uncommon

Beastbreeder 3GG
Creature - Elf - R
Whenever a non token Beast creature enters the battlefield under your control, if you control another creature with the same name you may put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control
3/3

Something monocolor, who's color identity is 2 or more colors

1pwny
2015-10-28, 10:09 PM
It's just a doom lads bear, it works and is right being uncommon

Beastbreeder 3GG
Creature - Elf - R
Whenever a non token Beast creature enters the battlefield under your control, if you control another creature with the same name you may put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control
3/3

Something monocolor, who's color identity is 2 or more colors

I see where you were going, but a few things to note:
- Pretty weak in drafts.
- It's a 3/3 elf, which is exceedingly rare. Maybe a 2/3 or 1/3
- Fairly weak for a 5-drop rare. It copies non-copies you already have a copy of.

(from mobile, so formatting is meh)
Vis Mastery - BB
Sorcery - (U)
Choose one:
- Deal 2 damage to target player
- Destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature
- You gain 3 life

Challenge: Something un-

Blue Ghost
2015-10-28, 10:57 PM
Gaining 3 life or dealing 2 damage to a player are nowhere near worth a card. The middle mode outstrips the other two so far that it's hardly a choice. Yes, there are some decks where it won't have any targets, but getting 3 life or 2 damage to the dome is hardly a backup option. With modal cards, every mode needs to be playable in some situations; this fails that.

Soul Nommer 3BB
Creature - Demon (R) (Un)
Flying
Whenever Soul Nommer or another creature dies, remove it from its owner's deck. (It cannot be used again for the remainder of the match.)
4/4

Next: A non-white, non-black Angel.

Jurai
2015-10-28, 11:07 PM
That, Blue Ghost, is REMARKABLY meta, and also poses a rules question, namely, what happens if a player is reduced to less than 60 cards in his deck? Rules state that a deck MUST have a minimum of 60 cards.

Solar Knight 3RR
An angel, wings spread wide and unleashing crimson flames over a battlefield.
Creature- Angel Knight R
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap a creature you contol. If you do, ~ deals three damage to all creatures your opponent controls.
Sometimes, those who follow the light are its champions. Other times, the light champions its followers.
6/6

Challenge: A creature that defies orders.

Ninjaman
2015-10-29, 03:14 AM
First of there are few angels in the game that has another creature types, and those are spirit and allies, knight simply doesn't fit angels in Magic. As for playing, the body is too large, it can tap itself which I don't think was supposed, I don't see the flavor, and it is probably too strong.

Un-sets have no problems with decks becomming smaller than 60 cards.

Treason - 1B
Sorcery - U
Target player sacrifices a creature with the greatest converted mana cost among creatures he or she controls.
Goblins make great lackeys, until they get bored.

Another removal spell.

braveheart
2015-10-29, 04:19 PM
Good way to usually kill of their biggest threat, it's a nice card, and I'm not sure if it's low costed or not, but it should at least have double black

Executioners Lotery 2BB
Sorcery - R
Each opponent chooses a cheaters they control, then flips a coin, if they win, they sacrafice the chosen creature, if they lose, they sacrafice each creature they control except the chosen creature
once a year a random man is given a choice. To kill himself, or everyone he holds dear.

Whatever you want, but the flavor text needs to have more words than the rest of the card

1pwny
2015-10-29, 07:49 PM
Good way to usually kill of their biggest threat, it's a nice card, and I'm not sure if it's low costed or not, but it should at least have double black

Executioner's Lotery 2BB
Sorcery - R
Each opponent chooses a creature they control, then flips a coin, if they win, they sacrifice the chosen creature, if they lose, they sacrifice each creature they control except the chosen creature.
Once a year a random man is given a choice. To kill himself, or everyone he holds dear.

Whatever you want, but the flavor text needs to have more words than the rest of the card

Oof. I like the idea, but the spelling.... ouch. Again, the idea is surprisingly deep. Do you choose your weakest so you are less effected by its death, or do you choose your strongest so that, assuming you lose, you still have your big thing? Very nice. Because of how nice it is I might bump it up to 3BB or 1BBB, or possibly make all players do it.

Trampolodon 4GG
Creature - Beast (C)
Trample
6/4
"The funny thing is that despite how commonplace they are, we still haven't designed a decent countermeasure against them." - Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Challenge: An idea you've had for a while but haven't gotten a chance to put out yet.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-10-29, 10:34 PM
I kind of figured that that challenge would get a reasonable green or white creature. :smalltongue: As such, I'll judge it entirely by its flavor text! It's kind of metagamey, which is fine for this audience, but not very evocative of what the creature is or the world it's in, which is usually the point of flavor text. I guess it tells you that Elspeth is somehow in a position of having to deal with it, but that doesn't lower it down much.

Insidious Vestige 1BB
Creature - Spirit R
Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature Insidious Vestige haunts dies, return Insidious Vestige to the battlefield under your control.
2/2

Challenge! Another spooky spirit. 'Tis the season, after all!

Ionbound
2015-10-30, 03:03 PM
Hmm. I think that it might be a bit too powerful, but at the same time, there's a decent amount of counterplay to it. I'm not sure. It's definitely an interesting card, and a good use of the haunt mechanic.

Myriad Souls-3WW

Enchantment-R

At the beginning of your upkeep, place a 1/1 white spirit token with flying on the battlefield under your control.

Fateful Hour-If you have five or less life, place a 1/1 white spirit token with flying on the battlefield at the beginning of each upkeep instead.

I call upon thee, martyrs! Those who died in the defense of mankind! Lend us your strength in this fateful hour! ~Thalia, Knight-Cathar

Challenge: Create a Cathar from Innistrad.

Jormengand
2015-10-31, 04:43 PM
I'm not actually sure you can use an "Instead" like that, because it would still only check at the start of your upkeep, but even if it doesn't I get what you mean. I'm just not sure how good it is: Endless Ranks of the Dead produces many 2/2 tokens, and costs 1 less, for example. Spirit is also a harder tribe to work with than zombie.

Cathar Shieldbearer 1W
Creature - Human Soldier U
Guardian for Humans (When a human you control would be the target of a spell or ability, you may have Cathar Shieldbearer become the target instead)
1/2

Next: Another creature that protects another creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-11-01, 01:13 AM
It could probably get away with being a 2/2; the ability usually amounts to, 'sacrifice this: regenerate target Human.' I'm really not sure if that ability should really be a keyword? The card itself does its job pretty well - a human who jumps on grenades to save other humans - but it would get really weird if you had it as a set's theme. You'd quickly end up asking what exactly you're supposed to be protecting. Let's see, what else... I find the interaction between this and the Theros Heroic abilities amusing. You want to buff your cathar, so you target your heroic thing for the trigger and redirect it. Though, if we value our sanity, we obviously don't want Guardian and Heroic anywhere near the same creature.

Avowed Starpriest WW
Creature - Human Cleric U
Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When Avowed Starpriest dies, choose a color. The creature Avowed Starpriest haunts has protection from the chosen color.
1/3

Challenge! Make a common creature in the one-drop slot that you would actually consider interesting.

somethingrandom
2015-11-01, 03:55 AM
It seams well costed and is a card I would not be supper excited or disapponted to get as an uncommon so good job
Spellshield Guardian U
Creature - Human Soldier C
Sacrifice ~: Target creature gains hexproof untill end of turn
1/1

Choose a Challange that was not reponsed to due to ninjaing and reponsed to that.

@V: You are right i forgot to critique the previous card. I have added that
You are wrong however when you say
You should critique the above card.

Your card isn't amazing because by the time you have a chance to activate the ability, the spell you want to get rid of has already chosen its targets!
as if in response to an spell being cast or a ability being activied that targets a creature, that creature is given hexproof at instant speed then the spell fizzles with no effect.

Jormengand
2015-11-01, 07:55 AM
You should critique the above card.

Your card isn't amazing because by the time you have a chance to activate the ability, the spell you want to get rid of has already chosen its targets!

Also, neat challenge, but I have to go all the way back a few pages to find...

Challenge: Make a creature that removes abilities from other creatures.

Shadow of the Light 2WP
Creature - Spirit U
Creatures fighting, blocking, or blocked by Shadow of the Light have Silenced (They lose all abilities except Silenced and their equipment and auras lose all abilities except granting Silenced)
2/4

You can pretend it costs 1WWW if you feel like it.

Next: A card with two types not normally seen together.

braveheart
2015-11-04, 01:26 PM
I think I'd rather see it as creatures damaged by ~ have silence until end of turn, because It brings up sone rule obscurities, such as when something is no Linder being blocked in the event of on death effects

Unkie, the Nobel Goblin 1W
Legendary Creature - Goblin, Knight - R
Level up WR. Haste 2/2
1-3 First strike 3/3
4. Other creatures you control get +2/+2. 5/5

Another level up creature

Jormengand
2015-11-04, 03:54 PM
Goblin and Knight are subtypes, not types. Anyway, a 2/2 haste for 1W is already all kinds of wrong, but then paying WR to give it +1/+1 and first strike and another WWWRRR to give it a universal anthem seems really, really really over the top.

Veldan Researcher 1U
Creature - Human Wizard R
One Eye Open - Whenever you draw a card, put a level counter on Veldan Researcher.
Level 1-6: Flying 2/2
Level 7+: Whenever you would draw any number of cards, draw twice as many instead. 3/3
1/1

Next: A card with two types not commonly seen together (Human, Jace and Legendary are not types).

Jurai
2015-11-04, 04:08 PM
I'd append a once per turn limit, since it's quite easy to draw seven plus cards in a turn.

Mechanized Forest
Legendary Artifact Land- Forest
T: Add G to your mana pool.
T, remove a Motion counter: Add 2 to your mana pool. This mana may only be spent to cast Artifact spells.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from an Artifact Creature you control: Put a Motion counter on ~. If ~ has a motion counter, it's an X/X artifact creature with Power and Toughness equal to the number of Motion counters on it. It is still a land.

Challenge: Make a cycle for this land.

braveheart
2015-11-04, 04:56 PM
I like it overall, it's got plenty of potential in the right place

Skyland
Legendary Artifact Land - Island -R
~ enters the battlefield tapped
T, remove a charge counter from ~: add (2) to your mana pool, this mana can only be spent to cast artifact spells
Remove a charge counter from ~: target creature gets flying until end of turn
Whenever you draw a card other than during your draw step put a charge counter on ~.

Something red

r2d2go
2015-11-05, 01:49 PM
Seems alright in terms of balance, though perhaps a tad too strong. More noticeably, the abilities don't seem to mesh other than "here are things blue does". I'd make it tap to give all artifact creatures flying until end of turn, and have the charge trigger be "at the end of your turn, if an artifact entered the battlefield..." to make it more cohesive.

Bleakstone Warrens
Legendary Land - Mountain R
T, remove a charge counter from ~ - Goblins you control gain haste until end of turn.
At the end of each turn, if a goblin entered the battlefield, put a charge counter on ~.

(It isn't game defined as red, but it's English language red.)

Challenge: Either another legendary land in the cycle, or another goblin card.

braveheart
2015-11-06, 12:58 PM
it essentially reads as T: goblins you control get haste, because you're never going to use the charge counters except when you have a goblin enter the battlefield. It should have another way to spend the charge counters

Rolling Hills
Legendary Land - Plains - R
~ enters the battlefield tapped
Remove a charge counter from ~: target creature gains First Strike until end of turn.
T, remove a charge counter from ~: creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn
During each end step, if you gained life during the turn put a charge counter on ~

Either a black legendary land to round us out, or something that has been sitting in the back of your mind and just hasn't fit any challenges yet

Jurai
2015-11-06, 01:26 PM
That's interesting. Mechanically and flavorfully sound, I'd perhaps make it +0/+1 or something like that since White tends to favor defense, as compared to say, Green or Red.

Seeping Tar Pit
Legendary Land- Swamp R
Remove a charge counter, sacrifice a creature: target creature your opponent controls gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
T, Remove a charge counter: Target creature gains Deathtouch.
Morbid- put a charge counter on ~. (If a creature died this turn, you may put a charge counter on ~.)

Challenge: Something you've had in mind that has yet to fit a challenge.

braveheart
2015-11-06, 01:45 PM
it works, but if you're sacraficing a creature, I'd prefer it to be at least a -1/-1 counter, also your morbid trigger doesn't say when it goes off, most morbid abilities are on instants, sorcerers, or are ETB effects but your seems to be static, I think you meant for it to be whenever a creature dies, or check during the end step, and each has a different power level, either works given the card, but you need to include a trigger

Chronoengine Golem 7
Artifact Creature - Construct - R
Spilt Second
When ~ enters the battlefield, end the turn
Sacrafice ~: End the Turn, activate this ability only durring an extra turn
If~ dies durring an extra turn, return ~ to your hand
4/5

Something to do with turns

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-11-06, 08:39 PM
I'm feeling whimsical, so let this be both my entry and my review:

Time-warp Golem 7
Artifact Creature - Golem R
Spilt Second (Once you cast this spell, players may take no more actions this turn.)
Sacrafice this creature: End the turn. Use this ability only during your turn. (To sacrafice a creature, put it on top of its owner's library.)
5/6

Challenge! Make an instant, sorcery or enchantment to represent a great feast!

braveheart
2015-11-09, 02:07 PM
Why is putting it on top of the library sacraficing it, putting in parentheses makes it reminder text, but that would be an ability.

Unending Celebration 2WG
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of each player's turn that player gains 3 life
Just because we are enemies doesn't mean we cannot enjoy a meal together

Something that uses life gain but doesn't cause it

Jormengand
2015-11-09, 03:13 PM
He's inventing a new ability word, sacrafice, not to be confused with sacrifice. It's a joke about your spelling mistake.

There's a card that costs WG and gives you 7 life, and I just think this is generally worse. I mean, it could stand not to give your opponent anything and I still don't know who'd run it.

Firelight Shaman 1WWRR
Creature - Human Shaman R
When you gain life, Firelight Shaman deals that much damage to target creature or player.
We see by the light, and yet it burns us all.
2/3

Next: Another combo card!

Jurai
2015-11-09, 06:17 PM
That's frighteningly impressive. Pair that with Gisela, and suddenly, you're dealing 2 points of damage per one point of life gained. Combine that with how easy it is to gain 10+ life in a single turn, I'd put a mana cost on that ability, say, 1WR or make it a 'When this spell is cast' trigger.

Hallucinatory Madness 3BU
Enchantment M
Whenever an opponent puts a creature token onto the battlefield, you may put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of that token.
Sacrifice a creature token: your opponent must sacrifice a non-token creature.

Challenge: Something relating to +1/+1 counters.

braveheart
2015-11-09, 06:48 PM
Ow, ow, ow says my riku EDH deck, but that's just my gut reaction, in truth it's usually going to be pretty weak, but definitely fun in EDH and maybe limited sideboard if there is a token theme to a faction for the set

Phyrexian Powermarket 2
Artifact - U
{1/p}: move a +1/+1 counter from target creature you control to another target creature you control

Something with phyrexian mana

r2d2go
2015-11-13, 01:30 AM
The power level is a bit wonky. It costs almost nothing, and if you already have a bunch of guys with tokens out, you can shift them around to have mostly unparalleled combat-trickiness. And, in certain sets, it'll have insane combo potential. In any set where it's actually reasonably balanced, it'll mostly sit there doing nothing, I think.

Phyrexian Shadow (B/P)(B/P)
Creature - Avatar R
~ gets -X/-X, where X is your life total.
13/13

Challenge: Another card that changes a total of up to 5 numbers/words/symbols from an existing card. This one's Death's Shadow (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198372). Other things that would work would be Serra Angel (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?printed=true&multiverseid=270376) vs Serra Sphinx (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=125873) or Vampiric Tutor (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383145) vs Grim Tutor (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201409).

Alternatively, a card that fixes an existing card, whether from this thread or not. Bonus points for both.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-11-13, 02:22 AM
I think the Phyrexian Shadow technically gets to be an artifact creature, too, so that's neat. Like the original, it's pretty entertaining, if difficult to use. The ability to pay life as you cast it is a nice buff.

Friendless Wurm (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=8820) 3GG
Creature - Wurm MR
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Friendless Wurm unless you control no other creatures.
9/9

Challenge! Make something that encourages someone to play more creatures (even in a situation where it would normally be overextending)

Jormengand
2015-11-13, 11:23 AM
Well, it's pretty decent, although I wonder if it's a bit too big if you can just throw more things on it rather than play more.

Evade 1B
Instant - R
Creatures you control have Isolation until end of turn (Abilities and spells affecting "All", "Each" or "Every" don't affect them)
Draw a card.
"The world ended, and I dodged it."
- Tasia Zelb

Next: Kill spell.

braveheart
2015-11-13, 12:45 PM
Tricksy fun cantrip, although 2 mana to give that to all your creatures and cantrip might be on the strong side, perhaps it should at least be double colored mana, if not 3

Death Dealing B
Instant - U
As an additional cost to cast ~, Each player reveals a card from their hand
The player who reveals the spell with the highest converted mana cost may destroy target creature, if multiple cards have the highest Converted mana cost, this spell's controller destroys target creature.
Draw a Card

(I'm not sure if that wording works as intended, the one with the highest CMC should get to choose who they kill, if it doesn't work that way if appreciate seeing how to word it so it does)

Something that your opponents can return to your hand

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-11-13, 09:34 PM
You do spell out the effect well enough for a human to understand, though a computer probably wouldn't. You technically have to say, 'card,' instead of, 'spell,' to talk about anything in a player's hand, and the word, 'target,' can't work since targets are technically chosen before the spell can ask who gets to make the choice. Perhaps most importantly, it's really weird to make other players help you pay a, "cost," like that; we could easily just work the hand-revealing into the spell text. Here's my best attempt:

Durth Durling B
Instant - U
Starting with you, each player may reveal a card from his or her hand. If one player's revealed card has the highest converted mana cost among cards revealed this way, that player chooses a creature; if no one reveals a card or if two or more cards are tied for highest, you choose a creature.

Destroy the chosen creature.

As for the idea itself, it's a cute, clearly multiplayer-focused gimmick that I can definitely appreciate. The cantrip part at the end needs to go, though. I'm guessing that you added it because you wanted it to be a one-for-one, "on average," but the card would already be quite powerful in the right deck.

Anyway, bouncy-semi-drawback-thing:

Endearing Beast (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4242)1G
Creature - Beast U
When this creature dies, target opponent may return this creature card to its owner's hand. If that player does, he or she draws a card.
3/2

Challenge! Make a card that an opponent will want to bounce.

r2d2go
2015-11-13, 11:01 PM
I think 3/2 for 2 would be fine without a drawback, so maybe 3/3? Still, it's a rather minor drawback, so it's probably fine.

Earth Wallower (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=96835) 3GG
Creature - Behemoth R
Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of all lands you control.
8/8

Challenge: Another creature with evasion, of some sort. Bonus points if it doesn't directly prevent blocking.

Jormengand
2015-11-14, 05:15 AM
Much Brooding Saurian. Wow.

At the same time, though, it's not good for the same kinds of tricks as the original (Bronze Bombshell, anyone?) and is therefore probably all right, since the worst you can do with it is probably getting your lands back!

Forceful Commander 4WR
Creature - Human Soldier R
Provoke, Protection from blocking creatures.
Whenever Forceful Commander is blocked, it deals combat damage to the defending player instead of the blocking creature.
5/2

I don't know why, when you asked me to make a creature with evasion, I thought "Ah! Provoke'll do it!".

Next: Another creature with a mechanic you haven't seen in a while.

Fortuna
2015-11-14, 08:11 AM
It seems like you could achieve most of the same effect infinitely more simply with "~ can't be blocked. Whenever ~ attacks, target creature can't block this turn." There are play differences, but I don't think they're big enough to really justify the weirdness here.

Mechanic I haven't seen in a while... how about...

Well of Whispers 1BB
Enchantment (R)
Cumulative upkeep: Pay one life.
At the beginning of your draw step, draw a card.

Challenge is to make an equipment that represents a shield.

Blue Ghost
2015-11-14, 03:28 PM
This is Phyrexian Arena, but worse. I suppose a lower-power Phyrexian Arena might have a chance of being printed in a modern set, but cumulative upkeep sure doesn't.

Silver-Inlaid Shield 2
Artifact - Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has +0/+2 and vigilance.
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to equipped creature by Vampires and Werewolves.
Equip 1

Next: Another Innistrad card.

r2d2go
2015-11-19, 02:52 AM
It seems like the kind of thing that's either lackluster, or just kinda wins you the game. Could probably have a weaker conditional effect (something triggered on-block would be especially fitting).

Rotfang Conspirator 2BR
Creature - Vampire Zombie U
Persist
First Strike
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player or human, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/3

If the combination of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters is not worth it in your opinion, replace Persist with "Remove a +1/+1 counter from ~: Regenerate ~."

Challenge: Another dual-subtype creature. Or, another reference to a novel.

braveheart
2015-11-19, 10:14 AM
It's just a little to tough to get rid of for my taste, it can't be killed in combat or from fighting. Although it starts small enough that it should be manageable.

The Ring of Darkness 3
Legendary Artifact - Equipment - R
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, put a quest counter on ~.
If there are 5 or more quest counters on ~ at the beginning of the attack step, equipped creature gains T: flip a coin, if you win, you win the game.

Another Tolkien reference, or a non basic land

Zaydos
2015-11-19, 12:59 PM
Interesting, probably hard enough to pull off not to be worth using (most alt wins actually need to be), but still a fun casual card that appeals to the Johnny in me.

Mordor
Legendary Land - R
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 1/1 black Orc token onto the battlefield.
T: Add B to your mana pool. You may pay 2 life, if you do put a 1/1 black Orc token onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Fiery bird.

r2d2go
2015-11-19, 01:14 PM
Edit: Ninja'd, but it was taken in stride :smalltongue:

I assume you meant to put an equip cost. It's slightly more balanced if doesn't have one, but the problem is it's ridiculously binary if that's the case (and still very much so even with, say, Equip 7). I'd probably bump the number of counters (7, maybe) and make it guaranteed to win. Though, even that would be likely too strong in multiplayer (whispersilk cloak and co make this quite scary).

Aspidochelone
Land - Island Forest R
2UG - ~ becomes a 3/8 turtle with Islandwalk until end of turn.

Challenge: Another very physically large creature with low power.

Jormengand
2015-11-19, 01:43 PM
2 life for a 1/1 orc is probably too much. Also, even the ETB basically gives you a free memnite, which usually costs a card (I mean, it's an orc and not an artifact or... yeah, you get the idea). This could very quickly drown the enemy in small creatures, which is not usually black's domain.

High toughness and evasion? I mean, low power and evasion is also pretty weird. But I mean, it's fine.

Defender Phoenix 3WR
Creature - Phoenix R
Flying, Guardian for White and for Red (Whenever a White or Red permanent you control would be the target of a spell or ability, you may have Defender Phoenix become the target instead if it's a valid target.)
At the start of your upkeep, if Defender Phoenix is in your graveyard, you may return it to your hand.
2/4

Next: Another creature with one colour that it represents and one that it doesn't (Such as a WG angel).

braveheart
2015-11-19, 02:43 PM
Usually a Phoenix card requires some condition or cost to come back, but maybe the casting cost is enough for it on this one.

Exploding Ooze 3RG
Creature - Ooze - U
Whenever ~ takes damage you may sacrafice ~ and deal damage equal to it's power to target creature or player, as well as to all creatures blocking, or blocked by ~.
When ~ is destroyed, deal damage equal to ~'s power to target creature or player.
3/4

Something else that goes boom, (or boo if you'd prefer) [bonus points for both]

Jormengand
2015-11-21, 08:05 AM
So, it's slightly under-curve, and can repeatedly double-lightning-bolt if you can Tim it repeatedly. It's probably too good, especially since it's powerful even if you don't bother activating it.

Goblin Spectator 2RR
Creature - Goblin U
At the end of each player's turn, Goblin Spectator deals 1 damage to that player for each untapped land that player controls.
Either you give them action, or they give you bombs.
2/3

Next: A creature which is way above curve.

Ninjaman
2015-11-21, 03:52 PM
Worded a bit wrong, but it is a bit more expensive Citadel of Pain on a body, it could possibly be a bit stronger but probably fine.

Oakbreak Traitor - 1G
Creature - Treefolk - U
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a forest or sacrifice Oakbreak Traitor.
5/5

Another card that sacs lands.

braveheart
2015-11-23, 01:43 AM
That card is either completely broken or unplayable and I honestly can't decide which, it's probably both which I guess is what you were going for.

Mountain Hurler 3RR
Creature - Giant - R
Trample
R, Sacrafice a Mountain: ~ gets +4/+2 until end of turn.
2/5

Mono white, with an activated ability in at least one other color

Jormengand
2015-11-23, 11:53 AM
That's still not how you spell sacrifice. Anyway, it's a decent finisher, I suppose? Honestly a little scary, but if it dies without destroying the enemy, then you're stuffed.

Ikarii, White Lightning Champion 2WW
Legendary Creature - Human Spellshaper R
Lifelink
RT, Discard a card: Ikarii, White Lightning Champion deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
2/4

Next: A red planeswalker.

Blue Ghost
2015-11-23, 01:48 PM
Turning any card into a Lightning Helix is quite powerful and exciting. This will be quite an impressive and fun legendary, if perhaps developmentally dangerous.

Antoine, Forlorn Seeker 2RR
Planeswalker - Antoine
0: Name a nonland card, then exile the top card of your library. You may cast the exiled card this turn. If the named card is cast this way, put five loyalty counters on Antoine.
-2: Exile a creature card from your graveyard. Put a token copy of that card onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.
-8: You get an emblem with "Whenever a nontoken creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a token copy of it onto the battlefield. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step."
{3}

Next: An uncommon build-around.

Jormengand
2015-11-23, 02:40 PM
There's nothing wrong with the planeswalker, though the 0 feels more blue than red. However, there's no such thing as a "Token copy"; you need to say "Token that's a copy of that card"/"Token that's a copy of it".

Combined Insight U
Sorcery - U
Draw a card for each creature you control with the same name as target creature you control.
Talk amongst yourself for a moment.

Next: Another 1-drop which could have a major effect.

braveheart
2015-11-23, 02:58 PM
Even if I don't go to the fringe breakage if tokens (let's say elves or scions) the chance of getting 2 of a low cost creature are high enough that you'd be able to hold off on casting this until it's a draw 2 at which point it is broken, in constructed play.

Death's Journey B
Instant - U
SacrIfice target creature you control, at the beginning of your end step return it to the battlefield under your control.

A permanent that would primarily be played for it's ETB

r2d2go
2015-11-23, 05:13 PM
So, black flicker, plus death effects. It's alright? I think it'd be fine, and more interesting, if it destroyed target creature, then returned it to the owner's control. But as is, it's still decent enough.

Jeskai Flickerfist WUR
Creature - Human U
Flash
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield, prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player. If damage is prevented this way, deal that much damage to target creature or player.
(W/R)U - Return ~ to your hand.
2/2

Challenge: A tricolor card that can be played for 2 mana. Or, something else that bounces.

braveheart
2015-11-25, 03:58 PM
Simple enough, the full cycle is appropriately costed, and a flash bear should cost 3

Grave Gopher 1B
Creature - Zombie - U
When ~ is destroyed return ~ to your hand.
No matter how many times you put it back in the ground, it keeps digging it's way back
1/1

(Not technically bouncy, but kind of)

Something green visually, but not costing green mana

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-11-28, 12:52 AM
You were asking earlier about whether your grammar is right, so I hope you don't mind me telling you that, "when this creature is destroyed," isn't the standard way of saying it. "Dies," works, though; it's short for, "put into a graveyard from the battlefield." In any case, the ability you're going for has already been done by these roaches (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376320). On the plus side, it means that Wizards thinks that your idea was good enough to print. :smalltongue: The main difference is that the cheaper version you made provides a great deal more fuel for sacrifice combos, so while it looks pretty innocent on its own you're still kind of playing with fire here.

Jade Golem 3
Artifact Creature - Golem U
1: The next time a source would deal damage to Jade Golem this turn, that source deals that damage to you instead.
Just be careful lest your prized guardians become a source of even greater suffering. (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202564)
3/1

Challenge! Make another damage-redirection card.

Fortuna
2015-11-28, 01:40 AM
Very pretty. Seems well-balanced, unlikely to cause much of a stir but fun to play with and evoking interesting decisions. I like how it doesn't meaningfully block when you use the ability - it can kill things, but not reduce the damage they'd deal to you unless it's taking the damage itself.

Charnel Fiend 3BR
Creature - Demon R
First Strike
0: The next time Charnel Fiend would deal damage to an opponent this turn, it deals that damage to target creature instead.
4/3

Challenge: Make a card with a keyword not usually found in its colours, but that has a good reason for it being there.

r2d2go
2015-12-01, 02:18 AM
One of the big downsides of first strike is that if it's not in creature combat, it doesn't do anything. This takes that disadvantage and turns it into a quite terrifying advantage, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable seeing that effect at that cost. It's not quite T - Flame Javelin, but it's pretty close. Fortunately, it's in colors that don't really do control (Grixis control is a thing but they can do better), so it's probably fine.

Crashing Drake 1GG
Creature - Drake U
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, it gains +2/+2 and loses flying.
"That's not really flying..." - Last words of Brak Turil, Kalonian Tourist
2/2

Challenge: Another card that pounces on things.

braveheart
2015-12-01, 12:12 PM
As written it can still block flying creatures, because it doesn't lose flying until it has blocked the creature already, at which point the loss of flying has no effect, and it still gets the +2/+2, otgerwise it's an interesting thought, but it acts like a 4/4 when attacking, and a 4/4 pseudoreach for 3 mana is too good for an uncommon, it might work as a rare, and would definitely work for 1 more mana.

Goblin Launcher 2R
(Picture of a goblin being launched by a trebuchet)
Creature - Construct - U
Defender
R,T: put a 1/1 Goblin with haste and "when this creature enters the battlefield it gets flying until end of turn" onto the battlefield under your control
0/3

(Include tokens of goblins that are falling on their heads)

Something that makes some form of token

r2d2go
2015-12-02, 02:45 AM
As written it can still block flying creatures, because it doesn't lose flying until it has blocked the creature already, at which point the loss of flying has no effect, and it still gets the +2/+2, otgerwise it's an interesting thought, but it acts like a 4/4 when attacking, and a 4/4 pseudoreach for 3 mana is too good for an uncommon, it might work as a rare, and would definitely work for 1 more mana.

Yes, I realized that. However, it dies to shock, as well as effects that target only fliers or only nonfliers. I hardly think it's stronger than Leatherback Baloth.

Goblin Launcher 2R
(Picture of a goblin being launched by a trebuchet)
Creature - Construct - U
Defender
R,T: put a 1/1 Goblin with haste and "when this creature enters the battlefield it gets flying until end of turn" onto the battlefield under your control
0/3

(Include tokens of goblins that are falling on their heads)

Something that makes some form of token

Making 1/1 guys for R, T is already pretty good. If this were in, say, white humans, I'd probably say it's too strong. As-is, it's probably okay, mostly because it takes way too long to do anything in your typical aggressive red or goblin deck.

Wildfrost Weird 2UR
Creature - Weird R
Flash, Defender, First Strike
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
When ~ would deal damage to a creature, you may have it deal damage to each creature in combat instead.
1/2

Challenge: Another card with three keywords or more.

braveheart
2015-12-04, 02:31 PM
1. That doesn't even approach the challenge
2. It isn't fun gameplay to tap all of the attacking and blocking creatures for 2 turns.
Aside from those though it is mechanically sound and about right for cost.

X-3 (X)(3)
Creature Arifact - Construct - R
Modular 0, Sunburst, Trample
(This creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each color of mana spent to cast it, when it dies you May put it's +1/+1 counters on another artifact creature)
X-3 enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters
0/0

Use +1/+1 counters

Jormengand
2015-12-04, 03:42 PM
Mm, nice idea to use modular and sunburst, although also having the X-cost... let's see, it's a 7/7 for WUBRG that dumps all of its P/T on something else when it dies. I think that's probably a bit much.

Volatile Supplication 3RG
Sorcery - R
Shuffle your library, then reveal cards from your library until you reveal a nonland card. Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the revealed card's converted mana cost. Then put the revealed card into your hand.

Next: Something that allows a player to act directly rather than through spells and minions (If you can't think of anything better than allowing you to deal damage personally, then fine). Be creative!

r2d2go
2015-12-06, 04:58 PM
Mm, nice idea to use modular and sunburst, although also having the X-cost... let's see, it's a 7/7 for WUBRG that dumps all of its P/T on something else when it dies. I think that's probably a bit much.

Sorcery - R
Shuffle your library, then reveal cards from your library until you reveal a nonland card. Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is the revealed card's converted mana cost. Then put the revealed card into your hand.

Next: Something that allows a player to act directly rather than through spells and minions (If you can't think of anything better than allowing you to deal damage personally, then fine). Be creative!

Form of the Wurm 4GGG
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have target creature deal damage equal to its power to you.
At the end of each turn, your life total becomes 8.
Whenever a creature damages you, deal 8 damage to it.

Form of the Nightmare 4BBB
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ destroys target creature.
At the end of each turn, your life total becomes 7.
Creatures without flying can't attack you.

Form of the Djinn 4UUU
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may draw three cards. If you do, at the end of your turn, discard three cards.
At the end of each turn, your life total becomes 6.

Form of the Angel 4WWW
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put three Healing enchantment tokens onto the battlefield, with "sacrifice ~ - prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player."
At the end of each turn, your life total becomes 4.

Even though the passive effect on Wurm is very strong, I feel that since you die with 8 points of damage anyway, it's a lot less powerful than it would be in a vacuum.

Challenge: Another way of changing your life total.

Jormengand
2015-12-06, 06:54 PM
Critique?

Anyway, Form of the Wurm seems... pretty neat, actually. I like the fight mechanic on it, very muchly.

Immortality Sphere 3WW
Instant - R
Change each player's life total to 20. Until end of turn, prevent all damage.
Blades spun through the air, arrows flew, warriors tired, and yet no blood was spilt that day.

Next: Another rare instant.

Cloud Rat
2015-12-06, 10:57 PM
Scholar's Burst

3UU Instant

Scry 7, then draw two cards.

Next: A three-colored creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-07, 01:29 AM
Immortality Sphere seems... okay. It's a bit weird, and they might want to make this reset cost more just to keep it out of the hands of dedicated fun-ruiners.

Scholar's burst does its job. It could get away with costing 6 mana or so and still be really good; Scrying 7 is close to tutoring territory.

Giblet WBG
Legendary Creature - Zombie Bird MR
Whenever Giblet attacks, it gains Flying until end of turn.
When Giblet dies, gain an emblem with, "Whenever a creature named Giblet enters the battlefield under your control, put 2 +1/+1 counters on that creature."
3/3

Challenge: I briefly noticed Stinkweed's signature as I went to edit this, and now I want to see a card named Pig Destroyer. Make it happen.

r2d2go
2015-12-08, 12:00 AM
Critique?

Hm, I think I failed to copy it over when I copy-pasted a lot of the post. Sorry about that :smallfrown:

Sorcery - R

It seems to be appropriately costed, and fitting the colors. I'm a little wary of cards that are sometimes amazing (especially in ramp colors, in this case), and other times very meh, but this is probably fine.

Giblet WBG
Legendary Creature - Zombie Bird MR
Whenever Giblet attacks, it gains Flying until end of turn.
When Giblet dies, gain an emblem with, "Whenever a creature named Giblet enters the battlefield under your control, put 2 +1/+1 counters on that creature."
3/3

It's a little weak for an MR, seeing as it totals to be a reasonably priced evasive beater, who sometimes gets big. I'd like it better if it, say, let you choose between a few powers each time it died (like Deathtouch, Regeneration, and/or Lifelink).

Challenge: I briefly noticed Stinkweed's signature as I went to edit this, and now I want to see a card named Pig Destroyer. Make it happen.

Pig Destroyer 1WB
Creature - Knight R (Un?)
Lifelink, Deathtouch
When ~ would deal combat damage, you may search an opponent's deck for a Destroyer Pig, put it onto the battlefield under their control, then shuffle their deck. If you do, ~ deals damage to Destroyer Pig instead.
3/3

Destroyer Pig 1RG
Creature - Pig R (Un?)
First Strike, Trample
When ~ attacks, you may search an opponent's deck for a Pig Destroyer and put it onto the battlefield under your opponent's control. If you do, it must block Destroyer Pig this turn if able.
3/3

Challenge: Something else silly.

braveheart
2015-12-08, 02:58 AM
Interesting, but destroyer pig wins usually in that scenario, because of it's first strike, but you did make it plenty silly

Tribble 2U
Creature - Tribble - R
Put a token copy of ~ onto the battlefield under target opponent's control: regenerate ~
2U: put a token copy of ~ onto the battlefield under your control
1/2

Another blatant reference or a blue spell

Jormengand
2015-12-13, 01:32 PM
I see any game with these in devolving into one or more players repeatedly spamming tribbles forever. Alternatively, you can regenerate it to give your opponent a tribble, mindslaver your opponent, and then repeatedly regenerate the enemy tribble to give yourself infinite tribbles. Which is probably a bit overpowered.

Refer to Blatancy {U/R}P
Sorcery R
Target opponent chooses a card from their hand and reveals it. Steal that card. (Exile it and get a Sigil that's a copy of that card only you can spend mana of any colour for its casting cost. Sigils can be cast as spells and become tokens when they enter the battlefield.)

Next: Another card which is fully colour weighted and gas CMC>1.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-13, 08:41 PM
You know, it's funny - Wizards actually went ahead and implemented, 'colorless,' as a color recently, and it pretty much has the same flavor and color identity as purple. I can mentally replace the P with a gray diamond symbol and it works out about the same. Jorm... were you secretly working for Hasbro this whole time??? :smalltongue:

Anyway, this card works fine, but there is already a way of phrasing the exact thing that it does. You just exile the card and say that you can play it as long as it's exiled this way. The quasi-discard effect seems like it might be more black, but exiling is very, 'purple,' and casting spells from exile is usually red/blue, so it's not too outrageous.

Not much of a restriction... let's see...

Nonsense Guildmage ♦G
Creature - Eldrazi Druid U
1G: Target creature gains trample until end of turn.
3♦: Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge! Another ridiculous eldrazi-color guildmage-thing. Maybe even make a better version of the green one, I am the first to admit that mine suuucks.

EDIT: Jurai forgot to include a challenge, so if the next person sees this, make a gleaming mirror-like thing.

Jurai
2015-12-13, 09:12 PM
Impressive. I'd probably make it ♦GG or ♦♦G instead, since Guildmages tend to be three drops.

Armory of Madness 3♦♦
Artifact- Eldrazi
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose up to two of the following effects:

Put 2 +1/+1 counters on target Eldrazi creature you control.
Put 2 -1/-1 counters on target non-Eldrazi creature you control.
Give target Eldrazi creature you control Vigilance, First Strike, or Double Strike
Target Eldrazi creature you control fights any other creature.

"It corrupted the Hedron Armory." Last words of Taylios, Kor Warmaster.

r2d2go
2015-12-14, 12:40 AM
...why, WotC :smalleek: there's actually no difference between ♦ and a new color, since either way you can pay actual colorless mana, as well as ♦ with ♦, and nothing else. I'll also note that the official symbol has become "C".

Anyway. There's little reason for this to be an artifact instead of a sorcery, unless you meant for the 3rd ability to be permanent, in which case, either you want to mention that it's "while ~ is on the battlefield", or there's memory problems. Should probably be a sorcery.

I'm not sure when you ever want the second option, either, especially since all three beneficial effects are eldrazi-only, so it's not a drawback that will ever come up. Should probably axe that, or make it target enemies as well.

So, it's alright, but it's got problems.

Secret Challenge (W/U)
Enchantment - R
Forecast - (W/U): Scry 2, then put a Challenge counter on ~. Reveal the top card of your deck. If its mana cost is equal to the number of Challenge counters on ~, draw a card.
Does the knowledge weaken the challenge, or just make you more frustrated when you lose?

Challenge: Something else that makes it easy to play on-curve.

braveheart
2015-12-14, 02:30 PM
It would be nice if it allowed for the number of charge counters or less, so that it eventually becomes consistently useful, but for that to be valid it would need to cost more, as is its balanced to strong because of the scry 2

Knowledge Acumulation Engine 1
Artifact - R
~ enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep put a charge counter on ~.
T, remove X charge counters from ~: search your library for a spell with converted mana cost X or less, reveal it and put it into your hand, then sacrafice ~.

Search your library for something

Jormengand
2015-12-15, 02:41 PM
Essentially allowing you to search for a permanent on the same turn that you were going to play it anyway seems a little too good, honestly.

Spark of the Five WUBRG
Sorcery - MR
Choose one:
- Search your library for a Gideon, a Jace, a Liliana, a Chandra and a Nissa, reveal them and put them into your hand.
- Search your library for cards named "Kytheon, Hero of Akroas", "Jace, Vryn's Prodigy", "Liliana, Heretical Healer", "Chandra, Flame of Kaladesh" and "Nissa, Vastwood Seer", reveal them and put them into your hand.

Next: Another spell costing WUBRG.

braveheart
2015-12-16, 05:59 PM
Conceptually it's a great card until you notice that you met 4 cards at 5 mana. Even with 5 colors putting 5 cards in your hand is too much

Phyrexian Chroma (p/W)(p/U)(p/B)(p/R)(p/G)
Creature - Elemental
Sunburst, Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield deal X damage to target creature, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast ~
1/1

Something colorless bonus points if you use the <> mana symbol

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-17, 12:37 AM
Phyrexian Chroma (p/W)(p/U)(p/B)(p/R)(p/G)
Creature - Elemental
Sunburst, Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield deal X damage to target creature, where X is the number of colors of mana spent to cast ~
1/1

The number and complexity of the mana symbols made me want to claw something, but as I examine this thing I'm actually kind of intrigued. Its effectiveness scales up over the course of a game as you gradually build up your color selection, which is a great idea and feels like a decent use of the phyrexian mana mechanic. Its flexibility means that the effect can still veer out of place, though. Here's one nightmare scenario:
P-Cro WU
Creature - Elemental (Presumably MR)
When you cast P-Cro, you lose 6 life. P-ro deals 2 damage to target creature.
Trample
3/3
You are letting people play that card. Should people be able to play that card? I don't even know anymore!

Broken Powerstone 1
Artifact - U
Broken Powerstone enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add ♦ to your mana pool. Broken Powerstone doesn't untap during your next untap step.

Challenge! Make a creature with CMC 3 or 4 and just a single colored mana symbol in its cost.

r2d2go
2015-12-17, 01:41 AM
You are letting people play that card. Should people be able to play that card? I don't even know anymore!

My vote is no :smalltongue:

Broken Powerstone 1
Artifact - U
Broken Powerstone enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add ♦ to your mana pool. Broken Powerstone doesn't untap during your next untap step.

Challenge! Make a creature with CMC 3 or 4 and just a single colored mana symbol in its cost.

That's a lot worse than Sol Ring, though that's a good thing. Kinda weak - it'd be fine at just ETB tapped and add ♦, I think.

Tessellated Terror 3U
Creature - Eldrazi Processor U
Flying
♦, put a card an opponent owns from exile into their graveyard - Return ~ to your hand. You may search your library for a Tessellated Terror and put it onto the battlefield.
2/2

Tessellated Terror 2UU
Creature - Eldrazi Processor R
Flying
~ gets +1/+0 for each other Tessellated Terror on the battlefield.
♦, put a card an opponent owns from exile into their graveyard - Return ~ to your hand. Put a token copy of ~ onto the battlefield.
1/1

Challenge: Something else that copies.

braveheart
2015-12-17, 03:37 AM
I like the second one better, because in the 3rd cycle it's hitting harder, and isn't limited by the 4 cards rule if you've got a consistent ingest

Teleported Malfunction 3UR
Sorcery - R
Cast this spell only durring your precombat main phase
Tap target untapped creature you control, then put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield it must attack this turn and has haste and unblockable until end of turn.
"We were able to get him there, but he never left" - Izzet Researcher

Aomething with a mad science vibe to it

Eldan
2015-12-18, 10:37 AM
Probably a game winner if done right. Unblockable is good. And just flat out doubling creatures is very good too. Might need to be more expensive, or have something like "sacrifice the copy at the end of turn".

Overcharge UR

Sorcery

Put two charge counters on target artefact you control. At the end of your turn, sacrifice that artefact and it deals damage to you equal to its converted mana cost.

More power! More!
-Izzet Researcher

After several dangerous cards, make a card that represents some kind of safety feature. Something that makes a dangerous situation safer.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-18, 05:50 PM
Overcharge is fun. :smalltongue: The effect is specific enough that its power depends mostly on the set it's in. I don't think the Izzet Charge Counters theme we're imagining will make trading a card for two counters an amazing deal, but thematically I can't see dropping the sacrifice effect. It probably just doesn't need to deal damage to you.

Ward Off W
Instant - C
Tap up to two target creatures and remove them from combat.

Challenge! Another combat trick.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-19, 03:06 AM
I'm not totally positive it works. Don't attacking creatures tap as soon as they're declared? I'm fairly sure I've seen a card that untaps attacking creatures and removes them from combat. But I'm pretty rusty, so I may well be totally wrong.

Doran's Roots WBG
Instant-U

Up to three target attacking or blocking creatures assign combat damage according to their toughness rather than their power until end of turn. Blocking creatures targeted by this spell get +0/+3 until end of turn.

"Everything in nature is mutable. Especially power."
-Doran, the High Sage

Next: An offensive treefolk! Higher power than toughness.

Jurai
2015-12-19, 03:22 AM
I'm not totally positive it works. Don't attacking creatures tap as soon as they're declared? I'm fairly sure I've seen a card that untaps attacking creatures and removes them from combat. But I'm pretty rusty, so I may well be totally wrong.

Doran's Roots WBG
Instant-U

Up to three target attacking or blocking creatures assign combat damage according to their toughness rather than their power until end of turn. Blocking creatures targeted by this spell get +0/+3 until end of turn.

"Everything in nature is mutable. Especially power."
-Doran, the High Sage

Next: An offensive treefolk! Higher power than toughness.

That's very Bant. I'd run it, though I'd probably remove the Blue.

Coppice Commando 2RRG
Creature- Treefolk Warrior R
Reach
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap an untapped land you control. If you do, put a 3/3 Red and Green Treefolk Warrior creature token on the battlefield.
6/3

Challenge: Creatures in different colors than usual (i.e. Blue/Red Angel, Green/White Vampire, etc.)

Eldan
2015-12-19, 05:24 AM
Hm.. Five for a 6/3 with reach is pretty good. I suppose fine in multicolour. The almost-kicker effect is very nice, though. I'd love to see the art for this. (I'm imagining a treefolk with a red bandana hiding in the canopy of another tree, about to drop down on some goblins)

Well, technically, it's a colour now:

Clockwork Vampire 4C

Artefact Creature - Vampire

Lifelink

Clockwork Vampire comes into play with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever Clockwork Vampire attacks or blocks, remove a +1/+1 counter from it at the end of combat.

Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn is put into a graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.

0/0

Challenge: a multicoloured card featuring black and one other colour. Sorry, I have no good ideas today.

Ninjaman
2015-12-19, 10:38 AM
It seems way too expensive with the restrictive mana cost. Also aside from being blocked by multiple creatures it can at best break even when attacking. Also it's lacking rarity.

Returned Drowner - UB
Creature - Merfolk Zombie - U
Lifelink
Returned drowner can't be blocked by creatures with flying.
2/2

Another agressive multicolor card.

braveheart
2015-12-20, 02:06 AM
Lifelink seems out of place on a zombie, but mechanically it is a sound card

Noble Ranger 1WG
Creature - Human - C
T: deal 2 damage to target creature with flying
3/2

Another common

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-20, 03:45 AM
It's pretty clearly supposed to be an archer, but otherwise isn't bad. Since it's white, I'd suggest restricting it to an attacking or blocking creature with flying, but it doesn't make all that much difference. I would be kind of annoyed by this thing as a common - it wouldn't take long to get the feeling that no flier is safe from these guys. Uncommon would probably be better.

Fungal Fluid 1G
Instant - C
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn. Put a 1/1 green saproling creature token onto the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.

Challenge! Something snowy!

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-20, 03:23 PM
I recall saproling decks being pretty awesome, though their metagame preeminence is long past. Still, this could be a worthy addition. And considering how much mana green has, I'd almost say it's strictly better than Giant Growth. Still fine as a common though.

Elspeth, the Heart of Ice 3WU
Planeswalker-Elspeth; MR

+1: Tap up to two target permanents. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
-3: Destroy target tapped permanent.
-9: You get an emblem with "Opponents can't cast spells."

Loyalty: 4

Next: Something fiery.

Jurai
2015-12-20, 03:45 PM
Elspeth, the Heart of Ice 3WU
Planeswalker-Elspeth; MR

+1: Tap up to two target permanents. They don't untap during their controller's next untap step.
-3: Destroy target tapped permanent.
-9: You get an emblem with "Opponents can't cast spells."

Loyalty: 4

Next: Something fiery.

Neato, though destroy tapped permanent doesn't sound very Blue or White.

Pyroclastic Annihilator 3BBR
Creature- Avatar MR
Haste, Persist
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a Mountain or Swamp. If you do so, sacrifice a non-basic land you control that doesn't produce Red or Black mana.
8/8

Challenge: Something woodsy.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-20, 05:19 PM
At the very least, the drawback is meaningless and needs to go. This thing's presence on the battlefield would usually indicate that you have all of the red and black mana you need. In a deck that doesn't need other colors, this is just green-style ramping on top of an 8/8 haste that lives twice for only 6 mana. I wouldn't put it past Wizards to print something like this as a red/black constructed powerhouse, but I would certainly be upset about it. It's just too good for the price.

Underbrush Managirl G
Creature - Dryad C
This creature can't be blocked by creatures with power greater than 2.
Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, add G to your mana pool at the beginning of your next main phase.
1/1

EDIT: Challenge challenge almost forgot! Make something that is effective if you play it as early as possible, but is next to useless later on - perhaps even more so than a chump-blocking 2/1 for 1.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-21, 03:01 AM
Interesting way to get a little mana accel, though I doubt it'd be useful outside limited.

Dense Powder U
Instant-C

Creatures with haste lose haste until end of turn.

"Interrupt morning coffee, will you? Then try running through snow thicker than you are tall, jerks."
-Merlin

Because screw Blazing Shoal.

Next: Something else with flavor text.

Ninjaman
2015-12-21, 05:34 PM
This really needs to cantrip, even then it's not very impressive.

Myldion Guard - 2W
Creature - Spirit Soldier - C
Flying, vigilance
The great prison contains evil in it's purest, most untamed form. Fortunately the guards are equally restless.
2/2

Another Myldion card.

r2d2go
2015-12-21, 08:37 PM
If you take a look at other 2/2 flying vigilance creatures, they're all somehow harder to play than this (1WW, 3W, 1UW). This should probably be weaker, somehow, if only to keep with the precedent - it's not going to break anything, but it would probably give the limited metagame a bit of a shaking.

I have no idea what a Myldion is, and google isn't helping, so...

Myldion Captain 2WW
Creature - Spirit Soldier U
Flying, Vigilance
Tap target untapped Spirit you control: Another target Spirit gets first strike until end of turn.
3/3

I'm pretty sure the "Another" makes it so you can't have a spirit buff itself (preventing this from being a lot like a better 3/3 flying first strike), but if that's not the case, that's the intent, reword as needed.

Challenge: Another lord-like creature without giving any P/T buffs.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-12-21, 09:20 PM
Myldion Captain 2WW
Creature - Spirit Soldier U
Flying, Vigilance
Tap an untapped Spirit you control: Another target Spirit gets first strike until end of turn.
3/3

Challenge: Another lord-like creature without giving any P/T buffs.

The ability itself doesn't do much besides demonstrate Myldion tactics, but that's a plus for an uncommon. 3/3 fliers for 4 already make me nervous, so I'd say it's quite playable. I approve.

Scourge of the Underbrush 1WG
Creature - Dryad Rebel R
Creatures you control with power 2 or less can't be blocked by creatures with power 3 or greater.
2/3

Challenge! A rare creature with CMC 3 or less.

Jormengand
2015-12-21, 09:44 PM
Ugh, reminds me of the annoying Level Limit/Gravity Bind cards from YGO. It's fine, I guess, but it could easily be made annoying by token spam decks.

Enaki, the Mindblade 1UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard R
Whenever a player would lose life, that player places that many cards from the top of their library into their graveyard instead.
1/3

If you really want to run around with a 300-card deck and go searching about for an Enaki (This probably involves some kind of Shadowborn Apostle-Runescarred Demon-Enaki into Shadowborn Apostle-Runescarred Demon-Immortal Servitude-Champion of the Parish/Shadowborn Apostle combo) be my guest, but I don't think that'll actually get you as far as you think.

Next: Another card that makes you do something that you normally don't want to do, but it's useful (in this case, it's milling yourself).

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-21, 11:58 PM
I like the flavor, a lot. Although I think it might be cool for him/her (I think Enaki is a female name, but I don't know) to a rogue too. The actual card does present an interesting counterpoint to the hyper-efficient decks I always hate having to build (if I want to have 61 cards, I will, dammit, because I'm a Vorthos and a neeeeerd. Screw you, Spike). Also, self-mill has a ton potential decks. I'd enjoy trying find ways to use it.

Koth, Planeshaper RRG
Planeswalker-Koth; MR

+1: Sacrifice a land. Put two lands from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.
0: Sacrifice a land. Koth deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
-2: Sacrifice a land. Destroy two target lands.
-6: Destroy all lands. Each player searches his or her library for up to three basic land cards and puts those onto the battlefield tapped.

Loyalty: 2

I don't know if this really matches the challenge, but I thought it was fun.

Next: A control finisher.

Blue Ghost
2015-12-22, 12:07 AM
This does make sacrificing lands useful, but it does not make it fun. Depriving yourself of resources leads to unfun gameplay.

@Jormengand: Self-milling is actually positive-to-neutral in the vast majority of cases, only hurting you when the opponent has a dedicated mill deck that seriously threatens to deck you. Your card does not require a 300-card deck to be very good. Not that it's broken; it is a pretty good design, but might not work the way you think.

Abyssal Deepdweller 4UU
Creature - Leviathan (M)
Abyssal Deepdweller can't be blocked.
Whenever Abyssal Deepdweller attacks, it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Whenever Abyssal Deepdweller becomes untapped, return target permanent to its owner's hand.
6/6

Next: A non-black demon.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-22, 12:26 AM
I like the potential for abuse re: untapping. Otherwise a fairly standard finisher. Good.

Ob Nixilis, Reborn 3GG
Legendary Creature-Treefolk Demon; R

Trample, Defender
Landfall-When a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may put three 0/3 green Treefolk creature tokens with defender onto the battlefield. If you do, put three +1/+1 counters on Ob Nixilis, Reborn.
If Ob Nixilis, Reborn has six or more +1/+1 counters on it, creatures you control lose defender.

"The world awakes, and I with it."

3/6

I know Nixilis already has four damned cards, but this (mostly) came to me before I realized that. I've been out for a while. This card also might have way too much going on and/or not make any sense.

Next: Revisit some other over-hyped card or character.

r2d2go
2015-12-22, 02:06 AM
Yeah, it's got way too much going on. Not to mention it's quite the frightening beater. This will commonly get out turn 4 or 3, then start beating face for 9+ trample the next turn, given how much land ramp exists. I'd prefer the counters be cut out, and the last line replaced with "If there are at least three treefolk on the battlefield, ~ loses defender and gains vigilance".

Jace, Ordinary Citizen of Ravnica U
Legendary Creature - Human C (Un)
No, really.
1/1

Or if that's not your thing... :smalltongue:

Jace, Will Incarnate 3UU
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard MR
T, 3UU: Counter target spell. If it targets Jace, untap up to five islands.
T, exile two blue cards from your hand: Counter target spell. If it targets Jace, draw two cards.
No.
2/2

(I guess he got tired of planeswalking)

Challenge: Something else entirely ordinary. Or, something very stubborn. Bonus points for both.

braveheart
2015-12-22, 03:25 AM
I don't think that the first one deserves to be judged and the second one seems almost appropriate, although I think that the second ability should still have some mana asociated to its cost.

Regrowth Nettle 2GG
Creature - Plant - R
Undying
T: move a +1/+1 counter from ~ to another creature you control
3/4

Something dead

Eldan
2015-12-22, 05:07 AM
Is it me, or is that reaaaaallly good? I think that neds to cost more. Or how about giving it defender, that could fit the flavour.

Bloated Corpses RB

Instant- U

As an additional cost to casting Bloated Corpses, remove any number of creature cards in your graveyard from the game.

Bloated Corpses deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of creatures removed this way.

Challenge:
Something fast.

Ninjaman
2015-12-22, 09:09 AM
This is a worse harvest pyre.

Goblin Wolfrider - 1R
Creature - Goblin - U
Haste, menace
Goblin Wolfrider attacks each turn if able.
2/1

r2d2go
2015-12-22, 10:34 PM
This is a worse harvest pyre.

Goblin Wolfrider - 1R
Creature - Goblin - U
Haste, menace
Goblin Wolfrider attacks each turn if able.
2/1

It's very strong for a 1R uncommon. Usually, this hits face for 2, and keeps hitting face for 2, every turn. Compared to other CMC 2 hasty, aggro dudes, not much can compete with that - Nether Traitor, maybe, or Strangleroot Geist, but the former deals half the damage and the latter does nothing against one big blocker. I'd make this RR, at the very least.

Since there's no challenge, rather than trying to come up with another "challenge" pun, I'm just going to do the last ninja'd challenge that wasn't responded to. Let's see...

(15 minutes of searching later)

(M)ake a mono black draw spell

Closest I could find!

Chthonic Tutor 1BB
Sorcery - R
Search your library for six cards. Shuffle your deck, then insert them into any position in the deck. Your opponent then cuts the deck at a position of their choice.
Scry 4, then draw a card.
Even demons have a hard time controlling devils.

(If it makes you like it better, make it an un-card, change "Chthonic" for "Overworked", and imagine the card art is a demon with six devils causing havoc in schoolclothes :smalltongue:)

Challenge: Another card that uses a mechanic not seen before, or another card with more colored mana than colorless in the mana cost. Bonus points for both.

Atomburster
2015-12-22, 10:54 PM
Challenge: Another card that uses a mechanic not seen before, or another card with more colored mana than colorless in the mana cost. Bonus points for both.

Ripple UUU
Sorcery - Uncommon
Target player selects two cards in his hand and shuffles them into his library.
Kicker UU - Then, that player selects a permanent he controls and shuffles it into his library.

Challenge: Make a WUBRG card.

braveheart
2015-12-23, 02:03 AM
R2: since you didn't get a critique I'll provide one, I like the idea behind your card, but my only issue is that it requires your opponent to try to expertly cut your deck, and leads to unfun play while resolving, mechanically though it is sound, and again I like where it is coming from

Atom: aside from neglecting to post a review, I'm not familiar with any cards giving blue access to discard effects, the kicker is perfectly reasonable, but hand destruction is almost exclusively black.

Ogan, Dragon Origen WUBRG
(A rainbow colored dragon accompanied by a young (alive) Ugin)
Legendary, Creature - Dragon - MR
Flying, Haste, Lifelink, Trample
(O): ~ gains +1/+0 until end of turn
When ~ enters the battlefield, gain control of up to one dragon each opponent controls as long as you control ~.
long ago even the great spirit dragon had a father
5/5

(O) is a new mana symbol to mirror the <> symbol in that it needs to be paid with a colored mana rather than allowing colorless

Something fragile

Ionbound
2015-12-23, 12:26 PM
C is the official mana symbol for colorless, first and foremost. In general, I think this card suffers mostly from Keyword Overdose, but otherwise seems generally okay. Definitely a good mythic as far as mythics go, but as for playability it would depend on the set. I can see it being a thing, though.

Memory Phial-1

Artifact-R

You have no hand size limit.

At the beginning of each draw step, draw six cards.

Whenever you take combat damage, sacrifice ~

Whenever ~ leaves the battlefield, discard your hand.

Challenge: Create a color-shifted version of an existed Legendary or Planeswalker.

Jormengand
2015-12-23, 02:07 PM
The first line should read "You have no maximum hand size". In any case, I see it being used as a riskless way to draw 6 when you have no cards in hand, and especially being horribly combo-y with certain effects (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[%22whenever%20you%20draw%20a%20card%22]) - especially with Sphinx's Tutelage, you're knocking at least 14 (remember you still draw normally) cards out of the enemy's deck each turn - too much for a colourless 1-drop and blue 3-drop combo.

Day of the Dead 2B
Legendary Enchantment R
Legendary creatures get -2/-2

Next: Another legendary noncreature.

r2d2go
2015-12-23, 02:22 PM
This seems entirely insane. I mean, it's fragile, yeah, but there's many decks that can say "nope" to combat damage. Imagine this in a fog deck, or one running four Force of Will - or both :smalleek:

Basically, even though it probably ends up losing you games more than winning them, it's way too crazy in the ones that win to be fun for anyone.

Melek, Azorius' Redeemed 2WWUU
Creature - Human Wizard R
Lifelink, Vigilance
XWW, T - Detain up to X target permanents with CMC X.
XUU, T - Exile target instant or sorcery, and put X time counters on it. It gains Suspend.
"It's been a long time since I've been in control."
2/4

Challenge: Another card that is in control.

Seems fine, if weak. I mean, how often are you up against more than a couple legendary creatures?

The Grand Tournament 1WU
Whenever a player casts a spell, each player reveals the top card of their deck. The players who's cards have the highest converted mana cost put that card into their hand. The rest shuffle their decks.
"Welcome to the Grand Tournament, champion."

Challenge: Another Azorius card. Or, another card that manipulates decks.

bekeleven
2015-12-23, 10:32 PM
The Grand Tournament 1WU
Whenever a player casts a spell, each player reveals the top card of their deck. The players who's cards have the highest converted mana cost put that card into their hand. The rest shuffle their decks.
"Welcome to the Grand Tournament, champion."

Challenge: Another Azorius card. Or, another card that manipulates decks.I'm currently attempting to brew a lockdown control legacy deck with mana severance and possibly endless horizons. Honestly, you could take a fish shell and throw mana severance in to mana screw anything that didn't already play an aether vial.

It's just not a hard lock. Even if you're running a brainstorm package they could still shuffle land to land. Maybe the card advantage would work better in another deck... mana denial martyr? I'm just spitballing, I don't really play legacy. (this card seems to johnny for standard, but there are viable standard combos every once in a while I guess.)

I'll end with the obvious reference to psychic battle.

http://i.imgur.com/wpb9g7u.png
Ziva, Intentionally Forgotten 1WU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer S (call it rare in a standard set)
2, T: Return target equipment card from your graveyard to your hand.
Sacrifice an artifact: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
"Metal, magic, or politics. If you spend time on more than one, you're bad at them all."
3/2

Next challenge: A farmer.
(Edit: not diligent farmhand)

r2d2go
2015-12-25, 02:10 PM
Seems pretty good. It's a lot of continuous advantage, but it's expensive and slow enough on an otherwise fragile body that I don't think it'd break anything. Compare to... Glissa the Traitor, I guess.

Dryad Caretaker GG
Creature - Dryad U
T - Return target forest to your hand. You may play an additional land this turn.
"How are you, old friend? I must ask for your help, again..."
2/2

Musclebound Farmer 1GG
Creature - Druid U
1G, Sacrifice ~ - Search your library for up to one land, plus one land for each card called Muscle Burst in your graveyard. Put them onto the battlefield.
Musclebound Farmer's name is treated as Muscle Burst.
3/3

(hopefully that means Diligent Farmhand treats him as a Muscle Burst and thus boosts him.)

Challenge: Another card that ramps in another indirect way. Or, another card that references an existing card. Bonus points for both.

1pwny
2015-12-28, 04:28 PM
Dryad Caretaker GG
Creature - Dryad U
T - Return target forest to your hand. You may play an additional land this turn.
"How are you, old friend? I must ask for your help, again..."
2/2

Doesn't really do it for me. Here's why -
1: He's a mana generator, but he's also a 2/2 for 2. Regardless of color costs, that's weird.

2: He's not that good at generating mana. If you can get GG, Arbor Elf will generally be as good anyways. Plus, he can't really untap enchanted lands, unlike Arbor Elf.

3: You can't use him during your opponent's turn. That means no surprise fog.

Challenge: Another card that ramps in another indirect way. Or, another card that references an existing card. Bonus points for both.

Specialized Growth - 1G
Enchantment - Aura [R]
Enchant Land
Whenever you tap an enchanted land for mana, add 1 to your mana pool.

Challenge: Make a card based around coming back (from the dead or otherwise) because, you know, I'M BAAAAAAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!

Blue Ghost
2015-12-28, 09:48 PM
This kind of effect is more suited for common than for rare. There have been similar designs in the past: Verdant Haven, Wild Growth, Trace of Abundance. This particular design hasn't been done before, and I think it's a good power level. It's strictly weaker than Wild Growth, but Wild Growth is probably stronger than we want ramp to be anyway. I think the design is good, and at common, has a good chance of being printed.

Boneguard Reaver 2BR
Creature - Skeleton Warrior (R)
You may cast Boneguard Reaver from your graveyard.
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Boneguard Reaver.
4/3

Next: Something political.

1pwny
2015-12-28, 10:33 PM
You misunderstand my card! Mwahahahaha! I was being very specific when I said "an enchanted land". So if you have this card attached to some random forest, and a Wild Growth attached to another, the other forest would produce 1GG when tapped instead of GG. Feel free to revise your opinion :smalltongue:.

Boneguard Reaver 2BR
Creature - Skeleton Warrior (R)
You may cast Boneguard Reaver from your graveyard.
Haste
At the beginning of your end step, sacrifice Boneguard Reaver.
4/3

Sooo... it basically has infinite Unearths? Cool. I would worry about leaving at a 4/3, maybe tone it down to a 4/2. Compare to Fire-Field Ogre. But it's also a rare, so it's probably fine.

Next: Something political.

You asked for it. :smalltongue:
...Please don't kill me.

Donald Trump, Business Owner 4
Legendary Creature - Human Businessman [R] (Un)
2: ~ gains Protection from Politicians until end of turn.
T: Flip ~.
0/2
----------------
Donald Trump, Presidential Candidate
Legendary Creature - Human Politician [R] (Un)
4: Make all Americas you control great again.
7: Exile all Mexicans you control. You gain an emblem with "Mexicans cannot enter the battlefield under your control."
0/2

Note: This is not political commentary, and this post is not in support of any of Donald Trump's ideas. Should this post be offensive to you, feel free to message me and I will scrub it.

Challenge: Make something... WUBRGy.

r2d2go
2015-12-28, 11:53 PM
I actually can't judge this well because most of it references things that don't exist. So basically, I'm judging how you're doing it, and it's questionable - you have a colorless nonartifact creature, it taps to transform and has no transform back, it has abilities that seem to only hurt you, etc. It's not entirely humorless, but it would have been funnier with tie-ins to magic, because there's no reason for this to be a magic card.

You misunderstand my card! Mwahahahaha! I was being very specific when I said "an enchanted land". So if you have this card attached to some random forest, and a Wild Growth attached to another, the other forest would produce 1GG when tapped instead of GG. Feel free to revise your opinion :smalltongue:.

If you don't mind, I'll comment: It's extraordinarily powerful, and confusing. Basically, not something you want a new or even just casual-ish player to pull, because it's confusing, and not something you want your pro Johnny or Spike to be using, because it's an insane amount of mana for 2 (and pretty good even without synergy). Especially now that generating colorless has uses that generating green does not.

Challenge: Make something... WUBRGy.

Rainbow Servant 2W
Creature - Wizard Cleric R
Level Up (2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G) - 2/4
Level 1-2 - Flying, Protection from Black and from Red - 3/5
Level 3+ - Flying, Lifelink, Vigilance, Protection from all colors - 4/6

(based on the Rainbow Servant PrC from D&D)

Challenge: Another creature with level up. Or, another creature with two subtypes. Bonus points for unusual subtype combinations, or both challenges.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-29, 02:14 AM
Not bad, but the execution seems a little off. White makes some sense as the color of the card (white light being composed of all colors), but seems to me that colorless might actually be better. The level up seems clunky, but not too expense. Might have been cool to try a different level up for each color of mana or something like that.

Skylane Hijacker UR
Creature-Vedalken Pirate; R

Level up-UR; 2/1
Level 2-4: Flying; Whenever Skylane Hijacker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random from his or her hand; 3/2
Level 5+: Flying, Hexproof; Whenever Skylane Hijacker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards two cards at random from his or her hand and you draw two cards; 5/5

Next: Another pirate.

Blue Ghost
2015-12-29, 02:20 AM

Oh, I see. In that case, I concur with r2d2go. It's too confusing and too apt to cause misunderstandings for too little gameplay benefit. When someone misunderstands your card upon first reading, that's generally a sign that something went wrong with your card.

@Rainbow Servant: That's a really high level up cost. I suppose the final stage might be worth it, but that's still at least 15 mana, probably more, invested. And the level up being all five colors, while the second stage only having protection from two colors, feels kinda unbalanced. Sorry, doesn't do it for me.

Ambitious Occultist 1B
Creature - Human Cleric (U)
Level up - Sacrifice a creature
Level 1-3 - Lifelink - 2/3
Level 4+ - Flying, lifelink - 4/5
1/2

Next: A rare with six words or less of rules text.

braveheart
2015-12-29, 03:21 AM
Interesting thought, and it gives you something useful to do without creatures when they're about to die.

Power of the Gods WWWWWW
Enchantment - MR
Creatures you control are indestructible
We shall not perish this day

Another enchantment, this time make it black

Fortuna
2015-12-29, 07:19 AM
Not bad, but the execution seems a little off. White makes some sense as the color of the card (white light being composed of all colors), but seems to me that colorless might actually be better. The level up seems clunky, but not too expense. Might have been cool to try a different level up for each color of mana or something like that.

Skylane Hijacker UR
Creature-Vedalken Pirate; R

Level up-UR; 2/1
Level 2-4: Flying; Whenever Skylane Hijacker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random from his or her hand; 3/2
Level 5+: Flying, Hexproof; Whenever Skylane Hijacker deals combat damage to a player, that player discards two cards at random from his or her hand and you draw two cards; 5/5

Next: Another pirate.

Discard is generally black, not blue or red - spectres, in particular, are flying black creatures that make people discard on a hit. So colour-pie-wise this is a problem. It's also honestly not that good; UR for a vanilla 2/1 is pretty pitiful, and you need to invest another four mana into it to get something only marginally better than Hypnotic Spectre (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=190566), which swings on the same turn and only eats up mana on turn three - and is single-coloured. You have to have invested an incredible ten mana overall to get to the final level, which is admittedly very strong - but even if you make all your on-colour untapped land drops, you're not getting level 5 before turn 5, and those colour requirements are a bastard and you can't have left up mana for protection or developed a backup plan. It's just not very good, honestly.

Interesting thought, and it gives you something useful to do without creatures when they're about to die.

Power of the Gods WWWWWW
Enchantment - MR
Creatures you control are indestructible
We shall not perish this day

Another enchantment, this time make it black

I think you went overboard on the colour weight; compare Avacyn (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=401632), which costs two more mana but has three less colour weight, makes noncreature permanents indestructible too, and is herself an 8/8 vigilance flier. I could see this at maybe 3WWW.

Halfworld Pirate 2BB
Enchantment Creature - Zombie Pirate R
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies, its controller may pay one life. If they don't, put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
3/4
Even on the five rivers about the Underworld, there is commerce of a sort. And where there is commerce, there is piracy.

Next: A cantrip (a card that draws a card to replace itself).

braveheart
2015-12-29, 03:45 PM
An interesting thought, and quite well executed, it makes opponents choose their fate

Burning Insight 1RR
Instant - R
Deal 5 damage to target creature or player
Deal 3 damage to target creature you control.
Draw a card

Something reckless

Passive Pete
2015-12-29, 04:49 PM
Very interesting. Compare to Collateral Damage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=391811), maybe? Anyway, first, I would say drop the cantrip. To balance it more, I would say change "deal 3 damage to target creature you control" to simply "sacrifice a creature" because the vast majority of the time, you're gonna sac a 1/1 token (or something else similar and equally small), which is pretty much the same as dealing 3 damage to it. And once you do get something with toughness greater than 3 out, this becomes 5 damage for 3 mana almost all the time. I hope that all made sense.

Redhorn Headhunter 1BR
Creature - Minotaur Warrior U
BR: Frenzy 1 (BR: If ~ is not frenzied, it gets +1/+1 and becomes frenzied until end of turn. Sacrifice it at end of turn. Frenzy only as a sorcery)
As long as ~ is frenzied, it has first strike and deathtouch.
3/3

Challenge! Make something else with Frenzy. That is:

[Cost]: Frenzy X ([Cost]: If ~ is not frenzied, it gets +X/+X and becomes frenzied until end of turn. Sacrifice it at end of turn. Frenzy only as a sorcery)

Jormengand
2015-12-29, 05:06 PM
Hm. The Frenzy could just as well be Frenzy 0 for all that its power or toughness will come up on a first-striking deathtouch dies-at-EoT creature, but it works I guess.

Redclaw Bloodthirster 2BB
Creature - Bear Warrior R
1R: Frenzy 3 (If this isn't frenzied, you can pay 1R to make it frenzied. It gets +3/+3 and "Sacrifice this creature at the end of your turn" while frenzied).
Whenever a creature dies, Redclaw Bloodthirster stops being frenzied.
2/4

Next: Another creature with an ability it can activate or suppress.

braveheart
2015-12-29, 05:21 PM
To both of you, Frenzy was already a mechanic in magic, it gives attacking creatures +X/+0 until end of turn if they are not blocked, that aside the blood frenzy bear is a cool idea

Dropgate 2W
(Image of a flying wall of steel)
Creature -Wall - U
Indestructible, Defender
U,T: ~ loses Defender and Indestructible and gains flying until end of turn.
W (untap): ~ gains +1/+0
0/5

Let's see some green

Blue Ghost
2015-12-29, 05:39 PM
This card is bizarre. Why is it a tap cost? It can't attack or block if it's tapped. You can uncap it with its other ability, for a single +1/+0 bonus, but then to boost it again you need to tap it and untap it... And granting +1/+0 is not in white's color pie. This would be so much more elegant without the tapping and untapping, but even then I don't think it would be very good.

Worldwake XGGG
Sorcery (M)
Put four +1/+1 counters on each of X target lands you control. Those lands become 0/0 Elemental creatures with haste. (They're still lands.)

Next: Squirrels.

Ninjaman
2015-12-29, 07:51 PM
Seems like a lot of power. Cmc 5 for 8 power, cmc 6 for 12 power, since you don't need to use the haste. If you do however you get cmc 7 for 8 power haste and cmc 9 for 12 power haste. I think it might actually often be best to not use the haste.

Rush of Squirrels - 2G
Sorcery - U
Put a 1/1 green squirrel creature token onto the battlefield for each forest you control.

Another token generation spell.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-12-29, 08:43 PM
I like the ramp, and it might give someone in limited the incentive to build a green deck that ramps mana by getting out extra lands. Not too special, though.

Kjeldoran Ambush 2W
Instant; U

Kicker: SS

Put a 2/2 white Knight creature token with first strike onto the battlefield. If the kicker cost was paid, put an additional 2/2 white Knight creature token with first strike onto the battlefield.

"Ice is our strength."
-Knight-Captain Rahms

Challenge: something else with snow mana.

r2d2go
2015-12-30, 03:49 AM
Seems good, maybe too good - 2/2 flash first strike for 2W is probably too much, and extra flexibility makes it even better. At the very least, it should be rare.

Blizzardburst Weird 3UR
Creature - Weird R
U, T - Put a frost counter on target land. It becomes a Snow land and doesn't untap during its owner's next untap step.
R, T - Put a fire counter on target land. At the beginning of their upkeep, its controller must sacrifice it or deal 1 damage to all creatures.
S - Untap ~.
3/3

I'm hoping the first ability isn't too broken in that you'd need twice someone's mana to lock them down, and that the second ability isn't too broken in that most decks that care about the 1 damage don't care about the land by turn 5 (aggro and token generation mostly). Maybe I should add discard a card the costs?

Challenge: Something else that taps and untaps. Or, something else that generates something it uses. Bonus points for both.

1pwny
2015-12-30, 05:11 PM
Blizzardburst Weird 3UR
Creature - Weird R
U, T - Put a frost counter on target land. It becomes a Snow land and doesn't untap during its owner's next untap step.
R, T - Put a fire counter on target land. At the beginning of their upkeep, its controller must sacrifice it or deal 1 damage to all creatures.
S - Untap ~.
3/3

Yeah, I would mostly worry about the first one. As for the second, at first I thought "Holy crap make them sac lands for 1 mana?????? Too OP bro!" Then I read your comment and went "True, true." On another note, do frost and fire counters actually do anything? If I put multiple fire counters on a land, what happens? That kind of thing. I dunno, maybe it would see some use in a set.

Challenge: Something else that taps and untaps. Or, something else that generates something it uses. Bonus points for both.

Potent Potioneer 3B
Creature - Human Witch [U]
BB, T: Put a potions counter on ~.
Remove a potions counter from ~: Untap target creature, then that creature gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
1/3

I was going to put more abilities on this thing, but I decided it was too much for an uncommon. Maybe we could make a set... actually, that's a good idea!

Challenge: Make another potion-maker.

r2d2go
2015-12-31, 03:27 PM
Seems horrifically weak. I mean, check out Seeker of the Skybreak (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=13046), Niblis of the Breath (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=226724), Vigean Graftmage (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397829), etc. I don't think the utility of being able to store potion counters and/or kill/pump things makes it worth all the extra mana. More abilities would actually make this worthwhile if they were simple enough (any of the other -ling abilities...)

Heartstring Potioneer 3W
Creature - Human Witch U
WW, T - Put a Potion counter on ~.
Remove a Potion counter from ~: Target creature gains your choice of first strike, +1/-1, or -1/+1 until end of turn. Untap it.
1/3

Torchlight Potioneer 3R
Creature - Human Witch U
RR, T - Put a Potion counter on ~.
Remove a Potion counter from ~: Target creature gains your choice of provoke, +1/-1, or -1/+1 until end of turn. Untap it.
1/3

Morphologic Potioneer 3U
Creature - Human Witch U
UU, T - Put a Potion counter on ~.
Remove a Potion counter from ~: Target creature gains your choice of flying, +1/-1, or -1/+1 until end of turn. Untap it.
1/3

Thornwood Potioneer 3G
Creature - Human Witch U
GG, T - Put a Potion counter on ~.
Remove a Potion counter from ~: Target creature gains your choice of trample, +1/-1, or -1/+1 until end of turn. Untap it.
1/3

Challenge: A -ling. Generally has evasion and protection as one-color cost abilities, and +1/-1 and -1/+1 as one colorless abilities. Alternatively, another card that uses counters.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-01, 12:00 AM
The potion mechanic seems awfully complicated, and while I see where you're trying to go with the flavor, I don't think it's that good a fit. I'm sure there's something simpler you can do.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Black/Darkling_zpsvxrudw50.jpg

Next: Something that uses -1/-1 counters.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-01, 01:20 PM
I actually like its mechanical resemblance to the old-school Darkling Stalker (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=4647), even though the types are completely different. From a game design standpoint, yours is obviously much more playable and incredibly difficult to get rid of, to the point where it will probably see constructed play. You're usually not going to bother with the -1/+1 as long as the recursion option is available, though.

Plague Tyrant 3BB
Creature - Zombie Shaman R
When this creature enters the battlefield, put two -1/-1 counters on each other creature.
2/2

Plague Tyrant 4BB
Creature - Zombie Shaman R
When this creature enters the battlefield, put a -1/-1 counter on each other creature.
Whenever another creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, return it to the battlefield under your control.
3/3

Challenge! Make an equipment card that also has some reference to a noncreature permanent type.

braveheart
2016-01-01, 08:13 PM
The first version is pretty strong, but the second one is pretty rediculous, that said while balanced I doubt either would see much play outside limited formats

Aura Mantle (2)
Artifact - Equipment - R
Auras can be attached to ~ as though it were a creature
All enchantments attached to ~ effect equipped creature as though they were attached to it.
Equip (2)

An Aura

Fortuna
2016-01-01, 08:30 PM
Fascinating. I think your wording's a bit off, but it's tricky to word so I don't blame you. I think the big problem is that you need to have an aura and two creatures for this to matter at all, and sink in six mana on top of the costs of those to get any benefit. It's not all at once, but it's still a hefty cost. I'd drop the cost to 1 and make it cantrip.

Flaming Blood 1RR
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature
Whenever another creature deals damage to enchanted creature, enchanted creature deals that much damage to that creature.

Make a thief.

Ionbound
2016-01-02, 09:14 AM
Seems pretty cool, though I doubt it would see much play, just because Red isn't really interested in that kind of mechanic, most of the time. However, it is a very Red mechanic in and of itself, and I think that the design space could stand to be expanded on. Very nice card.

Thief of Time-4UU

Creature-Vedalken Rogue-MR

Shroud

Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, they skip their next turn

He takes seconds, moments, and years, until nothing is left.

1/1

Challenge: Manashift one of the Origins five to at least one of their enemy colors. For example, a Green or White Liliana, or a Red and Green Jace

Atomburster
2016-01-02, 11:26 AM
That seems to be the type of card where you might as well write in 'When X deals combat damage, that player loses the game.' In most cases, if they skip their turn, they can't untap defending creatures or lands, so you can attack again with no reprisal, and again and again until their life is depleted.

Jace, Telepath 2RG
Planeswalker - Telepath
Rare
+2 - Each player draws a card, then discards a card.
-1 - Sacrifice a creature you control, then draw cards equal to it's converted mana cost.
-10 - For any number of target players - Those players discard a card for each permanent they control, taking 2 points of damage for each excess card. (I.E, discard 7 cards while having 5 cards - discard hand, then take 4 damage.)

Challenge: Make a 4-colour card OR a land.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-02, 12:37 PM
Red/Green isn't exactly a telepathic color, though Jace, Empath would have been reasonable here. The +2 is semi-red... red usually likes to discard first, but green doesn't care, so whatever. The -1 is pretty green from things like Greater Good, but it also draws a lot of cards, which can be dangerous in the wrong hands. The discarding last ability is very solidly black, though. It feels like, perhaps, a Jace who got super drunk and partied hard with Rakdos one night... or just Liliana, since she likes making people discard before murdering them. Empath Jace may have been better off getting a bonus from his own creatures.

Glowing Garden
Land - U
Glowing Garden enters the battlefield tapped.
T: add G to your mana pool.
WUBR: Glowing Garden becomes a 3/3 white, blue, black and red Nephilim creature with flying and menace. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn. It's still a land.)

Challenge! Makes planeswalker that cares about lands.

BillyDeeWilliam
2016-01-02, 02:26 PM
That...seems really cool, but I kinda have no idea what to make of it. Certainly, a manland with menace is strong, but the colors to make it a creature seems a little prohibitive. Nevertheless, I like it.

Nissa, Celestial Architect 1GWU
Planeswalker-Nissa; MR

+2: You get an emblem with: "Creatures you control that are lands get +1/+1."
-1: Put a nonbasic land from your hand onto the battlefield untapped.
-3: Draw a card for each nonbasic land you control.
-8: You get an emblem with: "Nonbasic lands you control are 2/2 white and blue Elemental creatures with flying and vigilance. They're still lands."

Loyalty: 3

I don't really know what to make of this either, but I thought of this as being kind of a city-mouse Ravnica Nissa.

Next: Something straightforwardly powerful.

Jormengand
2016-01-02, 02:48 PM
Mana costs are traditionally written in X1WUPBRGS order, so 1WUG in this case.

The -3 is too good. Even if you just dump her on the board and use her -3 like she's a sorcery, that's pretty powerful. The possibility that you might manage it twice or more scares me. Repeatable emblems to buff all your manlands is also pretty terrifying. If you just spam the +2 and -8, she's too good. If you just spam the -3 and counter-adding effects, she's too good. If you do anything else, why are you doing anything else?

Mass Betrayal 6RRRR
Sorcery R
Take control of each creature.
Me and YOUR army.

Next: Another rare or mythic with 6 or fewer words in its effect text.

1pwny
2016-01-02, 03:56 PM
Was that supposed to be until end of turn, or no? Either way, it's basically Tibalt.

Consign to Nothingness WWUUBBRRGGSS
Sorcery - [MR]
Target player loses the game.

Challenge- another card very much based off another popular card.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-02, 04:51 PM
Snow mana? Why? Snow is not a color of mana, why would you need it here?
Also, the thing with Door to Nothingness is that since it comes into play tapped, the opponent would have at least a turn to get rid of it, and usually more. Even if they fail to do so, they could still be satisfied with the game knowing that they tried. And in multiplayer games, having a Door out could lead to politics with the others trying to influence who you take out with it. Your card has none of that. It just comes out and ends the game out of nowhere, with no chance for interaction. I know I would be totally miserable if my opponent just dropped that on me with no warning, and I wouldn't feel very happy playing with it either.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/White/Apotheosis_zps21a20235.jpg

Next: Make a Sphinx.

Sgt. Cookie
2016-01-02, 05:26 PM
Riddle of Mana 3UU
Creature - Sphinx

Flying

When Riddle of Mana comes into play, secretly select Two Colours. Riddle of Mana has protection from every non-chosen colour. Colourless is treated as a colour for this card's effect.

2/2

Note: Riddle of Mana is illegal in any format that limits your Mana choices, such as Commander.

Next: Make a transforming land card.

Jormengand
2016-01-02, 05:49 PM
You should leave a critique of the above card, your card doesn't work, and if it did it would read "Flying, Protection from Everything" in upwards of 80% of cases. Why it's blue I have no idea given that the effect is white.

Apotheosis is probably too powerful, compare Sigil of the Empty Throne (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=405377) and then remember you're probably casting more white spells than enchantments.

Fallow Field
Land R
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
3: Transform Fallow Field

Field of Paradise
Land R
T: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.

Next: Something that transforms into a permanent of another type and neither of them is creature.