PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

bekeleven
2016-01-02, 06:40 PM
This is an elegant form of the common mana fixing land. A card like Rupture Spire costs effectively 2 mana (comes in tapped and costs 1 when it does), then it untaps and gives you mana. This one costs 3, but since it comes in untapped and taps for C in the meantime you can choose when to pay it - pretty similar, higher cost but flexible.

http://i.imgur.com/A79xAk1.png
Enchanted Woods
Land
T: Add C to your mana pool.
2, sacrifice another land: Transform enchanted woods and attach it to a creature you control.
-----------
Sword of the King
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature on the battlefield.
Equip 4
I'd probably call the land something less green-evocative if I had more appropriate art, since it doesn't tap for green and all.

Next challenge: Choose an existing planeswalker. Make a new ultimate for that planeswalker, taking the existing card (other abilities, loyalty gain, CMC) as well as the character's in-universe powers into account.

r2d2go
2016-01-02, 08:09 PM
It's pretty good. I'd prefer it come in tapped and tap for white or green (or both), since you're probably mostly using it in those two colors and it is an enchanted forest, but it's probably fine as-is.

This is... a challenging challenge, but it feels kinda lame to only change one line on an existing card. So I'm going to do both just the ultimate, and a full change.

Ral Zarek 2UR
Planeswalker - Ral MR
+1: Tap target permanent, then untap another target permanent.
-2: Ral Zarek deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
-X: Deal X damage to each creature. They gain +X/+0 and haste.

Planeswalker - Ral MR
+2: Put a 2/2 blue and red elemental token onto the battlefield.
-4: For each loyalty counter on Ral, tap target creature. It must attack on its controller's next turn if able.
-X: Deal X damage to each creature. They gain +X/+0 and haste.

Challenge: Change one or more of the following on an existing card: Color(s), CMC, type, and subtype, then change the rest of it to remain mostly the same but continue any existing themes. For example, you could turn Giant Solifuge (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=106576) into G/B, call it Giant Recluse, and give it Deathtouch instead of Haste. You could also take Belltower Sphinx (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236457), turn it into Ringing Endorsement, and make it an enchantment that applies the Sphinx's mill on all your dudes.

Or if that's too complicated, just make something fast :smalltongue:

Ninjaman
2016-01-02, 08:55 PM
I like the design. I agree with you that the challenge was kind of lame. The spoilered's second ability doesn't work.

Gatherer random card gave me
Otherworld Atlas (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=240052)

Magus of the Atlas - 2U
T: Put a charge counter on Magus of the Atlas.
T: Each player draws a card for each charge counter on Magus of the Atlas.
1/3

Another magus

Blue Ghost
2016-01-02, 09:46 PM
Otherworld Atlas is a fine card, and making it into a creature doesn't change all that much. Not my choice of something to make into a magus, but it works.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Magus%20of%20the%20Lotus_zpsgb0xragt.jpg

Next: An archon.

BillyDeeWilliam
2016-01-03, 05:22 AM
Pretty good mana fixing, and a nice way to store mana.

Hoplitarch 3RW
Creature-Archon; R

Flying, double strike.

Tribute 2

When Hoplitarch enters the battlefield, if tribute wasn't paid, put two 1/1 red and white Soldier creature tokens with double strike onto the battlefield. Creatures you control get haste until end of turn.

3/3

Next: something tribal

Tom the Mime
2016-01-03, 08:52 AM
No. Just no. If the tribute is used, it's a 5/5 double strike with flying for 5. If not, its a 3/3 double strike with flying and haste with another 2 weenies with double strike. That's way too much. Compare with Dragon style twins which is a 3/3 double striker for 5 (no flying but it does have prowess). It'd probably be acceptable with first strike rather than double strike though.

Goblin Fire Brigade 1RR
Creature - Goblin U
Whenever a goblin you control deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player
"Well if you wanted me to put out a fire, you should have called it the anti-fire brigade"
2/1

Make a card that transforms between types

r2d2go
2016-01-04, 11:19 AM
Seems okay, like a discount Hellrider... That requires things to hit to work, so I guess not really. Still, it could win games.

Flexible Teacher WUB
Creature - Wizard U
WU, T - Target creature gains your choice of Hexproof, Flying, or Vigilance until end of turn. Put a Student counter on it.
B, Sacrifice three creatures with Student counters - Transform ~.
1/3

Flexible Researcher
Creature - Horror U
Image: A terrible, spindly creature, with dozens of rubbery arms and legs that form a vaguely demonic shape.
Hexproof, Flying, Vigilance, Deathtouch
4/6

Challenge: Another card that is much wordier on one side than another. Or, another Horror.

Passive Pete
2016-01-06, 01:23 AM
Whoof. There's a lot to take in with your card. Certainly a lot to it. But let's see... in total it's WWWUUUBBB, three creatures, and four turns of keeping this guy alive for a 4/6 superdude. And with a WUB cost, this won't always be playable right on turn 3. Sure, the flipside is hella powerful, but it takes a huge hit on your resources for a long time, so I don't know if it would always be worth it. However, an experienced control player might be able to pull it off in the right deck, with counters to protect it and such. It definitely needs the hexproof so you don't spend all that time and energy just for it to be Murder
(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=259677)ed. Like I said, a lot to it.

Crevice Spawner 3BB
Creature - Insect Horror R
Menace
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two 0/2 colorless eggs creature tokens onto the battlefield
Whenever an egg creature you control dies, put a 2/2 black insect horror creature token onto the battlefield
3/3

Challenge: Another card in the "spawner" cycle that uses 0/2 egg creatures. Or, a harpy.

braveheart
2016-01-06, 02:26 AM
I like the idea, and it all seems in line power wise, the delay and slight restriction even make up for yhe extra total power & toughness.

Rampaging Spawner 4RG
Creature - Insect - R
When ~ enters the battlefield put a 0/2 colorless egg creature token onto the battlefield under your control
Whenever an egg creature you control does put a 3/3 trample creature onto the battlefield under your control
4/4

Another Spawner or if you don't like the idea, make something that taps an opponent's something

Fortuna
2016-01-06, 04:30 AM
The thing about this idea that I just cannot get over is that when you have two spawners in play, each egg that dies gives you multiple creatures. That's a massive flavour fail, and just about ruins the concept so far as I'm concerned. Templating troubles aside, this is probably fine - you typoed 'does' for 'dies', and need to specify the type and colours of the spawned creatures.

Creeping Frost 2UU
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may put a frost counter on target creature. Then tap all creatures with a frost counter.

Make something acidic.

Jormengand
2016-01-06, 09:03 AM
Hmm... this is quickly going to end up tapping each creature you don't control, which might be a bit too much, especially every turn. If you combine it with something that really, really prevents people from wanting to attack (something with deathtouch and a darksteel plate or indestructible and a basilisk collar, maybe?) you can run over your opponent and they can't run back over you. It's potentially really powerful.

Acidic Devourer 2GG
Creature - Ooze R
Whenever Acidic Devourer deals lethal damage to a creature, put X +1/+1 counters on Acidic Devourer, where X is that creature's power.
2/2

Next: Something else that triggers off lethal damage being dealt.

braveheart
2016-01-06, 01:38 PM
Interesting thought, but aside from combat tricks it isn't going to get larger very often, in fact the growth is so unlikely that you can bro able drop the mana cost to GG OR 2G

Relisher of Blood 3B
Creature - Imp - R
First strike, Lifelink
Whenever ~ deals leathal damage to a creature untap it and remove it from combat.
4/3

Use lifelink

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 04:09 PM
This... doesn't work. If it's already been dealt lethal damage, it dies as a state based action. Even if it did, you don't remove the damage, so it'd die after untapping and being removed from combat. I think this needs to be "Whenever a creature ~ dealt damage to this turn dies, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.", at which point it's bad.

That said, the idea is intriguing for sure. I'd make it...

Creature - Demon - R
First strike, Trample, Deathtouch, Lifelink
Whenever a creature ~ dealt damage to this turn dies, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
4/3

Anyway. Lifelink!

Auchenai Soulpriest 2WB
Creature - Priest U
Whenever a player would gain life during your turn, they instead lose life.
3/5

Challenge: Another card from another game. Or, another card that's okay even without its abilities.

Fortuna
2016-01-06, 05:26 PM
I rather think, to critique for a moment your critique, that you forgot the effect of first strike. Relisher's ability means it cannot be killed by group-blocking with non-first-strike creatures unless they are all big enough to survive a hit from it, because it kills something on first strike and then removes itself from combat, untapping to be ready for the block.

To move to your card, it seems really rather rubbish. Most lifegain decks gain most of their life from upkeep triggers, so far as I've been able to tell, which means this is basically just a deckbuilding downside with occasional marginal utility and an unimpressive body for a multicoloured thing. Yes, there are occasional ways to let your opponents gain life, but they're seldom big or exciting; I have trouble seeing a use case for this card.

Suggestion 1U
Sorcery - U
Look at the top three cards of target opponent's library. Put one of those cards on top of that library and the rest on the bottom of that library in any order.
Draw a card.

Make a removal spell that doesn't destroy or exile its target.

braveheart
2016-01-06, 05:58 PM
That's a surprisingly powerful effect, and might be worth a little more than 1U, I'd suggest UU for the cost

Black Tentacles UB
Enchantment - Aura - U
Enchant target creature
When ~ enters the battlefield tap enchanted creature
Enchanted creature does not untap
At the beginning of enchanted creature's controler's upkeep they may sacrafice another creature, if they do, untap enchanted creature

Something with 10 or fewer words of rules text

Jormengand
2016-01-06, 06:55 PM
Sacrifice still doesn't have an a in it.

In any case, it's fine - it's pretty much Claustrophobia, -1 CMC, in 2 colours, with a slight drawback.

Eternal Growth 4UG
Sorcery - R
Cascade, Cascade, Cipher, Epic
Populate, Populate, Proliferate, Proliferate
(Exile this card encoded on target creature as it resolves. For the rest of the game you can't cast spells. At the start of your upkeep or when the encoded creature deals combat damage to a player, copy this spell. Exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card whose converted mana cost is less than this spellís converted mana cost. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. Put a token that's a copy of a token you control onto the battlefield, for each object with a counter on you may put another of those counters on it, and then do all of those again.)

Weirdly, that all just about fits on a card. Who knew!

Next: Another technically-french-vanilla card which does lots of stuff.

enderlord99
2016-01-06, 07:32 PM

Well, technically...:smallwink:

Blue Ghost
2016-01-06, 07:42 PM

In any case, it's fine - it's pretty much Claustrophobia, -1 CMC, in 2 colours, with a slight drawback.

Eternal Growth 4UG
Sorcery - R
Cascade, Cascade, Cipher, Epic
Populate, Populate, Proliferate, Proliferate
(Exile this card encoded on target creature as it resolves. For the rest of the game you can't cast spells. At the start of your upkeep or when the encoded creature deals combat damage to a player, copy this spell. Exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card whose converted mana cost is less than this spellís converted mana cost. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. Put a token that's a copy of a token you control onto the battlefield, for each object with a counter on you may put another of those counters on it, and then do all of those again.)

Weirdly, that all just about fits on a card. Who knew!

Next: Another technically-french-vanilla card which does lots of stuff.

Well, it technically works, but holy snap, the complexity level is through the roof. This is a card that's just clever for cleverness's sake, and should never be printed. Also, I think french vanilla can only include evergreen keywords?

Two-Headed Asp 2B
Creature - Snake (U)
Deathtouch, menace
2/1

Next: Something with heroic.

Fortuna
2016-01-06, 08:32 PM
Very nice. Would need playtesting to be sure of the cost and toughness, but the essential idea is very elegant.

Enthralling Harpist 3UU
Creature - Human Rogue R
Heroic - When you cast a spell that targets Enthralling Harpist, tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap as long as you control Enthralling Harpist.
2/3

Make a permanent that can be a combat trick.

r2d2go
2016-01-06, 09:27 PM
I rather think, to critique for a moment your critique, that you forgot the effect of first strike. Relisher's ability means it cannot be killed by group-blocking with non-first-strike creatures unless they are all big enough to survive a hit from it, because it kills something on first strike and then removes itself from combat, untapping to be ready for the block.

Oh, the "it" is rather confusing. I read the card as "whenever ~ deals lethal damage to a creature, untap that creature and remove it from combat", rather than "whenever deals lethal damage to a creature, untap ~ and remove it from combat." Well, assuming that's what's happening, the card needs to be written as the second way, as having ambiguous "it"s is not good.

So no, I did not forget what first strike does.

Enthralling Harpist 3UU
Creature - Human Rogue R
Heroic - When you cast a spell that targets Enthralling Harpist, tap target creature. That creature doesn't untap as long as you control Enthralling Harpist.
2/3

Seems pretty weak. If you're playing a card for 3UU, you're getting into bomb/finisher range. This is basically only good against relatively slow decks with something like 2-4 large creature threats that need to tap - fast decks overrun this, less threats are better taken care of by something like Mind Control, more threats are too many for this, and most decks run removal that can kill a 2/3. Even in Limited, it's hard to get a heroic deck going, so this is usually mediocre.

Awe-Inspiring Wrath 1R
Enchantment - Aura R
Flash
Enchanted creature has First Strike.
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage, each creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Challenge: Another permanent with flash. Or, another card with First Strike that synergizes with Doublestrike.

ben-zayb
2016-01-08, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure if the ability as written works as intended. Nonetheless, it's a good cost-efficient little trick both offensively and defensively, if only IMO a tad off the color pie, belonging more to white.

Nuknuk, Tactical Bomber XRR
Legendary Creature - Goblin Soldier (R)
Flash, Flying
When Nuknuk, Tactical Bomber enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures with converted mana cost X or X+2.

1/1

Make a non-permanent card that has a somewhat permanent effect on tokens or counters, aside from token/counter removal or generation.

braveheart
2016-01-09, 02:05 PM
It's s good card, except that it's not a red effect,red rarely destroys creatures, it deals damage, the effect seems black white to me, but I'm not positive that's the right color either.

Infighting 3U
Sorcery - R
Shuffle all token permanents together then give eavh player control of the same number of random token permanents.(if the totals do not come out even players in turn order starting with you get one extra)

Wording is probably not good on this one.

A token generator that lasts

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-09, 04:44 PM
A blue card that shuts down token strategies by stealing half of your opponent's lineup. A similar effect might even make it in to a multiplayer-focused set for fun, but that doesn't make it a good card to actually play. Imagine just staring at it in your hand for the whole game, hoping in vain that your opponent eventually makes a token that you can mind-control with it. It's even less fun than it sounds.

Hidden Tomb 3
Artifact - R
Hexproof
Hidden Tomb enters the battlefield with one charge counter on it.
3B, T, remove a charge counter from Hidden Tomb: Put a 3/3 skeleton creature token onto the battlefield.
Whenever a skeleton creature you control dies, put charge counter on Hidden Tomb.

Challenge! Make a tapping artifact that doesn't target anything.

Jormengand
2016-01-09, 04:54 PM
I like it! Not certain it really needs Hexproof, though - yes, I know it's hidden, but that doesn't seem to add much to it.

Idol of Servitude 3
Artifact - Idol U
WWT: Energise each idol you control.
Whenever you energise Idol of Servitude, put a 1/1 white human creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Whenever the beacon shines, the call is answered. Whenever a beacon is lit, all shine.

Next: Another Idol or an Ally.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-09, 05:39 PM
The idol mechanic looks really fun, and also quite dangerous developmentally. It has a high chance of being broken, but if it isn't, I would love to play with it. Maybe it would work better if each idol had a lower cost for energizing just itself, plus a higher cost for energizing all idols. That could help balance things without the idols looking useless. Something like this:

Idol of Wickedness 3
Artifact - Idol (R)
2B, T: Energize Idol of Wickedness
7, T: Energize each Idol you control.
Whenever you energize Idol of Wickedness, target player discards a card.

Next: Something with a new tribal mechanic.

ben-zayb
2016-01-09, 08:26 PM
Nice! It looks like a Disrupting Scepter / Scepter of Fugue hybrid with more Idol synergy.

Hellseal Pup B
Creature - Demon Seal Rogue (U)
All creatures able to block Hellseal Pup do so.
When Hellseal Pup dies, Muster 3. (You may put any Demon, Seal, or Rogue card with converted mana cost 3 or less into play, without paying its mana cost.)

1/1

Challenge: Make an anti-aggro enchantment.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-10, 12:52 AM
Any demon/rogue/seal? Well, I don't even own a Master of the Feast, but I'll take a 5/5 flier for one mana and a use of my sacrifice outlet, sure. I imagine your intention was to cast creature cards from your hand, making this a sort of slow Dark Ritual that can only be used for creatures. Dark Ritual is considered too good for a reason, and the seal's other ability already makes your other creatures effectively unblockable for a turn, so I can't really justify having this thing around as-is. Still, with the must-be-blocked bit removed, it might be fun to play alongside something like Demonic Taskmaster (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=271092) in an aggressive aristocrats-y deck.

Cease and Desist 3W
Enchantment - Aura C
Flash, Enchant Creature
When Cease and Desist enters the battlefield, remove enchanted creature from combat.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.

Challenge! Make a creature that encourages you to play enchantments.

Ionbound
2016-01-10, 01:22 PM
Does that wording work? Either way, it seems like a fun enchantment, but at too high a cost to make it relevant. Most Aggro decks want to end the game around turn four, and unless it's an all-in big attack deck, the card just doesn't seem to do much before things are already out of control.

Champion of Nyx-2WB

Enchantment Creature-Human Warrior-R

~ has +1/+1 for each enchantment your control.

As long as you control two or more enchantments, ~ is indestructible

Sacrifice ~: Enchantments you control gain indestructible until the end of the turn.

2/2

Challenge: Create a card with this name: Tamiyo, Moon-Cursed

Fortuna
2016-01-10, 02:21 PM
So the first thing that occurs to me is that, if you have two of them out, you have a pair of 4/4 indestructibles for 4 each that then get bigger as you play more enchantments. If you're able to put out a seal turn two or three (or even one), the first one that comes out is a 4/4 indestructible and the other makes them 5/5 indestructibles...

The upshot is, this shouldn't count itself, for either ability. At that point it would be fine.

Tamiyo, Moon-Cursed 1UR
Planeswalker - Tamiyo MR
+2: Target player may untap a permanent they control. Then tap target permanent that player controls.
-1: Until the beginning of your next turn, creatures attack each turn if able.
-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control attacks, tap target creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step."

Make a card that gives tokens to another player.

ben-zayb
2016-01-10, 07:20 PM
I'm aching to give Tamiyo one more loyalty counter especially considering her second ability. Other than that, these abilities could be delicious additions to Prowess or other tempo decks.

Mindleech Stream
Land - (R)
T: Add (U) to your mana pool
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay (U) or exile the top card of your library.
Whenever an opponent attacks you, put a 0/1 blue Leech creature token with "At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library" into the battlefield under his or her control.

Challenge: Make a card that makes your opponent draw a card, but without either making you draw a card, or making the opponent discard/exile a card.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-10, 08:19 PM
I think this is too close to strictly better than an Island, at least in some decks. I don't like lands that have such a major effect on games just by being played.

Forced Transaction 2UU
Sorcery (R)
Target opponent draws three cards, then reveals his or her hand. You may cast a card from that player's hand without paying its mana cost.

Next: Another political card.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-10, 08:51 PM
You know what? I can only imagine this being considered a bad rare, but at least it's a fun bad rare. Nobody really wants to see that kind of effect played super-competitively, and the price is probably about right for the intended multiplayer environment. The name sounds a bit sketchy, but I'm not sure which direction I'd go with it either, flavor-wise. That part might be easier if you specified that it had to be a creature card or something.

Phyrexian Pamphlet 3
Artifact - R
1B, T, exile Phyrexian Pamphlet: Target opponent chooses a card in your graveyard. If it's a permanent card, you may put it onto the battlefield. If it's an instant or sorcery card, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.
Who writes this garbage?

Challenge! Make another book, library, or other sampling of reading material.

r2d2go
2016-01-10, 11:05 PM
Considering that you can get a similar effect for much less (without letting your opponent choose, without spending 5 mana, and without telegraphing the play), I'm not too worried. It is a nice idea though :smalltongue: Maybe other cards in a cycle of Pamphlets could have stronger effects.

Vedalken Pamphlet 3
Artifact - R
T, 1U, Exile ~: Target opponent may Fateseal 2. Then, draw 4 cards.

Challenge: Either another card from the cycle, or another card that lets you play cards with an average synergy lower than those in your deck (e.g. cast from opponent's hand, fateseal, exile opponent's cards then cast from exile, Jorm's [?] sigils, etc)

Atomburster
2016-01-11, 04:42 AM
Considering that you can get a similar effect for much less (without letting your opponent choose, without spending 5 mana, and without telegraphing the play), I'm not too worried. It is a nice idea though :smalltongue: Maybe other cards in a cycle of Pamphlets could have stronger effects.

Vedalken Pamphlet 3
Artifact - R
T, 1U, Exile ~: Target opponent may Fateseal 2. Then, draw 4 cards.

Challenge: Either another card from the cycle, or another card that lets you play cards with an average synergy lower than those in your deck (e.g. cast from opponent's hand, fateseal, exile opponent's cards then cast from exile, Jorm's [?] sigils, etc)

This reads like a better Divination to me. Other than that.. it seems fine, but maybe the cost should be UU instead of 1U?

Unseen Mirage U
Sorcery (Instant) - Rare

Play Unseen Mirage only as a sorcery your opponent played enters the graveyard. Exile that card.

Until the end of your next turn, you may play it as an instant, substituting U mana for any colored mana cost. (Ex: RWWG can be paid for with UUUU)

Challenge: Create a prismatic artifact.

Fortuna
2016-01-11, 05:39 AM
This is pretty badly templated, but in fairness it's a pretty difficult template. I think the best you can do is something like...

Unseen Mirage
Instant R
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
If a sorcery card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from the stack, you may pay U and exile Unseen Mirage. If you do, exile that card. You may cast Unseen Mirage from exile as a copy of that sorcery as though it had flash this turn, and may spend blue mana as though it was mana of any colour to do so.

This is messy templating for a card that ranges from worthless to okay to, in some rare circumstances, pretty good. The big problem is that it relies heavily on what your opponent does and so in some entire matchups will be hugely underwhelming - many decks simply don't have good (or any!) sorceries in them. It's not worth the templating complexity, I fear.

Void Prism 2
Artifact C
WUBRG, T: Add CCCCCC to your mana pool.
What the Eldrazi do not destroy, they warp.

Make a card from a future (not present!) return-to-a-plane set which could not have been printed in previous visits to that plane, for whatever reason.

ben-zayb
2016-01-11, 06:08 AM
It is only helpful in 5-colored Eldrazi decks' uniqueness of having C costs, but even then, it requires much resource investment to pay the cost. It's an original and somewhat cool idea, but an impractical one.

Scribe of New Legends 3WUU
Creature - Fox Monk (R)
Hexproof
Whenever a permanent deals damage or targets a planeswalker or legendary permanent you control, that permanent becomes legendary.
1/4

Make another card that supports planeswalkers or legendaries

Ninjaman
2016-01-11, 07:04 AM
This is really underwhelming. It is expensive and doesn't really do anything. Also permanents don't target, their abilities do.

Aspiring Hero - 1W
Creature - Human Warrior - U
First strike
Whenever Aspiring Hero deals combat damage to an opponent you may exile it. If you do put a legendary Human creature from your hand onto the battlefield.
2/1

Make another 2/1 CMC 2 creature.

braveheart
2016-01-11, 01:06 PM
Can we add the phrase or the command zone to make it an EDH card? Oh well, if you have the right deck he is a great card, but it'd take some work to make it worthwhile, at which point it could potentially be really broken (see EDH comment)

Swordsman apprentice 1R
Creature - Human - U
First strike
1R: ~ gains double strike until end of turn
2/1

A red or green combat trick

Jormengand
2016-01-11, 02:59 PM
Well, it has asynergistic abilities, but they mesh together in a way that makes thematic sense, so it's probably okay.

Mirror Army 4RR
Instant - R
For each blocked creature you control, remove that creature from combat, untap it, and put a token that's a copy of it onto the battlefield blocked by the same creatures. Sacrifice each of those tokens at end of turn.

Next: Something else that creates copies of something.

braveheart
2016-01-11, 04:30 PM
That's really strong, and seems appropriate to cost, overal good card

Reflection of Fate (3)
Artifact
Whenever a nontoken legendary creature you control dies, you may pay (2), if you do, put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield under your control.

Another artifact

ben-zayb
2016-01-11, 07:42 PM
It's a quicker rewarding and better costing Remembrance, but with tighter restrictions. It's a niche card, like my previous entry, and would likely see most play on a Kamigawa-Return set.

Champion's Crown 1
Artifact - Equipment (U)
All creatures able to block equipped creature do so.
Whenever a creature an opponent controls enters the battlefield, it fights equipped creature.
Equip (2)

Make a non-permanent card that does something with Fight.

r2d2go
2016-01-11, 11:44 PM
Definitely too much effect for too little cost - It has the same problems as a card a few posts ago, where it functionally makes your creatures unblockable, but is even worse in that you can attach it to a deathtoucher, and indestructible dude, or someone who's just plain big. This effect is worth a lot more than 2 or 3 mana, though I admit I can't pinpoint the cost myself (perhaps 3 and 4?)

Grand Challenge 2WWRR
Sorcery - R
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. You may cast this again for no cost if you target the same creature you control.

Wording might be off. It should make your "champion" fight everyone until it dies, at which the spell fizzles (unless you choose to let him stop).

Challenge: Another card that recasts itself (flashback, storm, or other new mechanics are all valid).

Fortuna
2016-01-12, 12:11 AM
Very tricky to word. My biggest concern is that this amounts to a one-sided board wipe if you control an indestructible creature with at least one power. Probably wouldn't be printed precisely because the wording is so tricky.

New Horizons 1G
Sorcery - U
New Horizons costs 1 more to cast for each land card in your graveyard.
Reveal cards from the top of your library until two land cards are revealed. Put all land cards revealed this way into your hand, and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)

Make a card that likes it when your hand is full of lands. Having retrace doesn't count, but a spell that depends on how many lands are in your hand could.

ben-zayb
2016-01-12, 02:56 AM
Cheaper than other 2-land ramps in the 3-4 CMC range, but that's probably because both lands stay in hand. The sustainability is balanced by the increased cost (sans the first Retrace instance). I'd love to have this on my fatties, but I feel the decrease in precision and mana accel isn't worth the initial decreased mana cost.

Scattering Rifts 2UUU
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may reveal any amount of land cards in your hand. For each land card revealed, tap target permanent you don't control. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Make a non-blue, non-red card based on time/plane shift.

Ninjaman
2016-01-12, 12:19 PM
I like the design, though I would definitely make it less color intensive. It could probably be pushed down to 4 mana, but at uncommon I think 5 is safer for limited.

Thalia, Lost Hero - 1B
Legendary Creature - Zombie Soldier - R
Deathtouch
Whenever a player casts a creature spell, that player loses 1 life.
Thalia denied to help the necromancer and Innistrad was forever doomed.
2/1

In case you couldn't tell this is from an alternate timeline where Thalia never opens the Helvault.

Another color version of an existing legendary.

Ionbound
2016-01-12, 09:18 PM
Seems like. The only grip I have is that she might feel a little better if you swapped her P and T, though it's an amazing card and one I'd love to see the art for, if nothing else. 10/10.

Avacyn, Angel of Betrayal-5BBB

Legendary Creature-Angel-MR

When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy all humans.

All vampires, werewolves, and zombies you control have +2/+2 and Indestructible.

As the humans took the upper hand in Innistrad, the true nature of their protector was revealed.

8/8

Challenge! Create a version of one of the Gatewatch that reflects them after some terrible fate befalls them on Innistrad.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-13, 01:14 AM
The sort of deck this is intended for is clear, if kind of hard to imagine building. The difference in effectiveness based on which deck your opponent is playing is much higher than normal. If the format is meant to have a Humans deck, that player just concedes to this thing. Then again, if Humans is meant as an aggressive strategy and they let you live long enough to cast this, they probably deserve it. It certainly won't matter for competitive play; it's probably not meant as anything but a Commander for a casually-assembled pile of vampires. All in all, not super effective, but the flavor gives it enough reason to exist that it gets drawn back to probably-printable.

The Last Human 0
Legendary Creature - Human MR
When The Last Human dies, who cares.
If you just opened this in your pack, now you know why we killed the rest of them.
0/1

Look at Me, I'm RD33! 4BB
Sorcery - MR
Ban all Human creature cards. (Remove all Human creature cards from the battlefield, from all graveyards, and from exile. Each player searches his or her hand and library for all of their Human creature cards, removes them, and shuffles his or her library. Cards removed this way do not exist in the game. Human creature cards can't be introduced to the game for the rest of the match.)

Reckoning of Innistrad 4BB
Sorcery - MR
Exile all Human creatures. Each player searches his or her hand and library for any number of Human creature cards, exiles them, and shuffles his or her library.
For the rest of the game, Human creature spells can't be cast.

...But Nobody Came. 1W
Enchantment - MR
You can't cast creature spells.
Enchantment spells you cast cost 1W less to cast.

Challenge! Make a blue card that you want to play on turn 2.

r2d2go
2016-01-13, 03:17 AM
Seems... potentially very strong. I feel like it'd be better if it had a built-in sacrifice mechanic and/or cantripping, but was less powerful (perhaps costing more). At the moment it feels like it could be insane in certain decks, maybe too insane, but otherwise feels like a very disappointing pull.

Nice use of the reference, though :P

Reader of Stories 1U
Creature - Human Wizard U
During your upkeep, target opponent Fateseals 1, then you Scry 1.
None shall disturb his readings. None desire to.
0/4

Challenge: Another card that's better, but not outright more powerful, in multiplayer. Or, another card with a drawback.

Ninjaman
2016-01-13, 09:00 AM
I really like that you made the body large enough that I could see a control deck playing it in standard as it does keep aggro at bay. I guess in single player it makes you draw better cards on average, but reduces your chance of drawing specific cards. The ability is really cool in multiplayer, though the body is less relevant. All around a well designed card.

Scroll Merchant - 1U
Creature - Human Wizard - U
1U: Target opponent draws a card. Draw a card.
0/1

Another card that lets your opponent draw cards.

braveheart
2016-01-13, 12:17 PM
It's a little weak, you could certainly buff up the body a bit without changing anything else, say make it s 1/2 or 0/3.

Ancient library (3)
Artifact - R
(3): You and another target player may draw a card. Any player may activate this ability, but players other than ~'s controller must target ~'s controller

GIANT ROBOTS!

Ninjaman
2016-01-13, 02:14 PM
The wording is awkward, but I couldn't think of anything better. That said I like the card, seems like a fun commander card.

Pristine Mecha - 3W
Artifact creature - Mecha - U
Champion a Human (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another Human you control. When this leaves the battlefield, that card returns to the battlefield.)
First strike
1W: Pristine Mecha gains flying until end of turn.
4/4

Another Mecha (Using the champion mechanic) or a card that synergizes with them.

ben-zayb
2016-01-13, 06:08 PM
I like it! A vanilla 4/4 for 4 is a good baseline, although I don't mind removing (W) in the CMC since there's still a cost (champion) for first strike, especially since the Flying activation already requires W anyway.

Gatewatch Colossus 5WUBRG
Artifact Creature - Mecha (MR)
Champion 5 Allies (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another five Allies you control. When this leaves the battlefield, those cards return to the battlefield.)
Vigilance, Protection from Colorless
Gatewatch Colossus may block any number of creatures.
10/10

Make another card that are thematically against the Eldrazi.

r2d2go
2016-01-13, 08:23 PM
The wording is awkward, but I couldn't think of anything better. That said I like the card, seems like a fun commander card.

Maybe "~'s controller and another target player each draw a card. Any player may activate this ability."

Gatewatch Colossus 5WUBRG
Artifact Creature - Mecha (MR)
Champion 5 Allies (When this enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you exile another five Allies you control. When this leaves the battlefield, those cards return to the battlefield.)
Vigilance, Protection from Colorless
Gatewatch Colossus may block any number of creatures.
10/10

Make another card that are thematically against the Eldrazi.

Neat! Unfortunately, it seems horrifically weak. 10 mana in 5 colors, the loss of 5 allies, and a body that's only good against all-colorless (and even then, people may just fly over its head). Perhaps if it were 5/5 for WUBRG and had a few more keywords (flying, haste, lifelink and hexproof come to mind).

Otherworldly Artist 1W
Creature - Human U
T - Target permanent becomes the color of your choice until end of turn. Any mana it produces is also of that color.
2/2

Challenge: Another card who's effect is sometimes a buff, and sometimes a debuff.

1pwny
2016-01-13, 10:19 PM
Neat! Unfortunately, it seems horrifically weak. 10 mana in 5 colors, the loss of 5 allies, and a body that's only good against all-colorless (and even then, people may just fly over its head). Perhaps if it were 5/5 for WUBRG and had a few more keywords (flying, haste, lifelink and hexproof come to mind).

Personally, I envisioned a power ranger megazord fighting the eldrazi, which was kinda awesome. That being said, Haste, Trample, and possibly a bigger body (12/12) would do your colossus some justice, ben-zayb.

Otherworldly Artist 1W
Creature - Human U
T - Target permanent becomes the color of your choice until end of turn. Any mana it produces is also of that color.
2/2

I feel... like this is too strong. 1W for a 2/2 with a potentially amazing ability is amazing. Imagine putting this in some kind of elf deck, and then tapping your Elvish Archdruid into Phage or something equally ridiculous. Maybe as a rare, maybe., but I would feel more comfortable with a nerfed P/T and maybe even an increased CMC. Idk if all that's really necessary, but I feel like you gotta do something.

Challenge: Another card who's effect is sometimes a buff, and sometimes a debuff.
Now, how trolly should I get?

Ah, here we go!

Random Mathematical Calculations 3
Instant {R} (Un)
Activate up to 4 of the following effects, but only once each:
- Choose a creature. It gets +1/+1 until end of turn if the turn number is prime. Then, it gets -2/-2 until e.o.t if the turn number is part of the Fibonacci sequence. Then it gets +3/+3 until e.o.t if the turn number is a square number.
- If you cast this spell on your turn, flip 4 coins. The selected creature gets +X/-Y where X is the number of heads and Y is the number of tails. If you didn't, the creature gets -M/+K where M is your age mod 4 and K is your opponent's age mod 3.
- If (5.4 x your life total) is less than (5.1 x your opponent's life total), roll a die. Then square the result and add 2. If the resulting number is greater than your life total, the chosen creature gains Indestructable and Trample until end of turn. If (5.1 x your life total) is greater than (5.4 x your opponent's life total), the chosen creature gains Poisonous 2 until end of turn.

This card can probably get pretty unbalanced should everything occur exactly right, but at the same time I doubt it would in any real game.

Challenge: Something else stupid.

r2d2go
2016-01-14, 02:02 AM
...right, I'm just going to put it under the "ridiculous un-card" section, and call it alright :smalltongue: As you say, it has the potential to be insane but in reality is just silly.

Ogre Brute 2R
Creature - Ogre U
Whenever ~ blocks, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, ~ blocks a creature of that opponent's choice instead.
Me smash you! Wait, who?
4/4

Challenge: Another card with some kind of randomness that affects it - could be coin flips, random choice, effect based on card drawn/discarded, etc. Or, another card that's limited but not constructed playable.

Atomburster
2016-01-14, 03:02 AM
...right, I'm just going to put it under the "ridiculous un-card" section, and call it alright :smalltongue: As you say, it has the potential to be insane but in reality is just silly.

Ogre Brute 2R
Creature - Ogre U
Whenever ~ blocks, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, ~ blocks a creature of that opponent's choice instead.
Me smash you! Wait, who?
4/4

Challenge: Another card with some kind of randomness that affects it - could be coin flips, random choice, effect based on card drawn/discarded, etc. Or, another card that's limited but not constructed playable.
Seems reasonable and fairly good value. Easily understood..Reminds me of the Hearthstone version.

Serendipity's Queen - 2RR
Legendary Creature - Faerie Queen - Rare
Shroud

When ~ enters play, shuffle your deck, then exile the top card of your library. Then, ~ gains a +1/+1 counter per converted mana cost of exiled card.

1/3

EDIT:
Challenge - A Red-Blue card.

Ninjaman
2016-01-14, 03:30 AM
The wording is off, it should be "put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is the exiled cards converted mana cost." Shroud isn't used anymore. The card is too random to be useful I think, 35+% of the time you just exile a land and have paid 4 mana for a really crappy creature. Sometimes you exile a 5+cmc card and get an insane threat the opponent can't deal with. It's possibly fair, just unfun to play with and against, and not wacky enough to make the randomness okay.

Counterflame - UR
Instant - U
Counter target spell unless it's controller pays 2. Counterflame deals 2 damage to that creature's controller.

Compare to countersquall.

Make another counterspell.

Gandariel
2016-01-14, 03:45 AM
Solid and not really overpowered, since the damage always goes to face.

Another Counterspell (U color indicator)
Instant - R (Un)
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid)
If a spell has been countered this turn you can play ~ for 0.
Counter target spell.

Next, make another card with no mana cost. Or a dragonfly

Fortuna
2016-01-14, 03:56 AM
Interesting, and quite strong in the right situation. Potentially standard-playable, depending on the environment.

Spellwarp {U/B}{U/B}
Instant - U
Counter target spell unless its controller distributes X -1/-1 counters among creatures they control, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

Make a card that still does something even if countered, without being outright immune to being countered.

Ninjaman
2016-01-14, 06:24 AM
I think you both replied to me, so I'll respond to you both.

@Gandariel
This could possibly be printed outside of an unset, though it seems a lot safer to just print in an unset to prevent it from impacting legacy too hard. I would probably have made it 0 cost and then put the restriction on casting though.

@Random_person
Generally giving an opponent a choice is bad. A thing I think you have missed is that I could just distribute all the counters onto my weakest creature, making the spell far less usable. Also I am not comfortable with this being playable in mono black.

Spellbound Dragonfly
Creature - Insect - U
Ensoul 1U (Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell you may cast this card for it's ensoul cost, ensouled on that card. The ensouled card is moved to the top of the stack. The The spells are separate spells and resolve separately.)
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a spell while Spellbound Dragonfly is on the stack, draw a card.
2/1

Yes the ensouled card resolves before the ensouling card (which would be referred to by CARDNAME on the card itself and Spell ensouled on a spell by other cards). The card being ensouled is relevant for effects referring to it.

Make another card with ensoul (Bonus points if you rename and/or reword it into something better)

Blue Ghost
2016-01-14, 01:58 PM
Ensoul as it is is too complicated and confusing. Trying to do too many things at once, including stack manipulation, which is a no-no. Let's break it down and see what it does. An ensoul card...
1) Can't be cast unless you cast an instant or sorcery at the same time. This is bad. A whole class of cards that's completely dead unless you combine them with other cards is bad for the game, especially in limited. If the ensoul cost were a discount rather than a necessity, that should be fine.
2) Can be cast at instant speed. I guess this can work, though I don't think tacking flash onto everything is ideal.
3) Improves the spell that it's cast with. This is the part that has the most potential, I think.

So, here's my attempt at reworking this...

Maestro of the Refrain 1R
Creature - Human Bard (R)
When Maestro of the Refrain enters the battlefield, harmonize. (The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn is harmonized.)
Whenever you cast a harmonized spell, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
2/1

Next: Another card with harmonize, or a further iteration of it.

1pwny
2016-01-14, 10:02 PM
It seems too strong and too stackable. Put out two of them, and suddenly you might pull out a Lave Axe for 15 in the right deck (a harmonize deck).

But regardless, a cool mechanic.

Juke Box 4
Artifact - {U}
When you cast ~, if it was harmonized, put a Music counter on it.
1, T: Harmonize (The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn is harmonized.) Activate this ability only if ~ has a Music counter on it.

Challenge: Make a cycle, or make a WUBRG addition to an already-extant cycle.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-15, 12:16 AM
I like how between the two of you I still don't know what the Harmonize deck is actually supposed to look like. The maestro was a rare demonstrating the top end of the mechanic's power, and this one literally doesn't do anything because your reminder text doesn't say anything about harmonizing artifacts. Assuming that you intended for artifact spells to be harmonizable, this thing figuratively doesn't do anything, since you're spending a turn and a card to save a harmonize charge that you could probably have just spent right away with that 4 mana you had floating around. I think the juke box might serve better as an expensive but repeatable harmonizer - just spend more mana on the activated ability instead of using the charge counter. Still parasitic, but more interesting in this hypothetical format.

I had a concept for a bicycle, but the mechanic gradually mutated into this and I had to refluff it:

Workout Bracers 1
Artifact - R
Equip 2
Whenever you target a creature with Workout Bracers' equip ability, if that creature doesn't have a +1/+1 counter on it, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Equipped creature gets -1/-1.

Street Thopter 3
Artifact Creature - Thopter C
Haste
3: Street Thopter becomes a noncreature equipment artifact until end of turn. Equip it to target creature.
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and has haste.
2/1

Challenge! Make another thopter or equipment card.

r2d2go
2016-01-15, 12:47 AM
Interesting, it's like bestow: equipment edition. Seems fine - certainly not powerful but it's a perfectly okay common to showcase an ability.

I think it needs to be a keyword though - Otherwise, that would be too complex for common.

Sky Thopter 3
Artifact Creature - Thopter C
Flying
Latch 3 (3 - ~ becomes a noncreature equipment until end of turn. Attach it to target creature.)
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and Flying.
2/1

It might be better if Latch X meant (X - ~ becomes a noncreature equipment until it isn't attached to a creature. Attach ~ to target creature). Seems like there's more potential there.

Also, Thopter I believe refers to specifically small flying machines (coming from ornithopter), so I'm going to pretend there's a set of colored Myrs in a return to Mirrodin type set!

Cleaver Myr 2RR
Artifact Creature - Myr U
Doublestrike
Latch 5
Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and doublestrike.
2/2

Symbiotic Myr 3G
Artifact Creature - Myr
T - Put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and equipped creature.
Latch 3
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
1/1

Challenge: Either another card with a new mechanic from this thread (several have showed up very recently!) or another colorless card. Bonus points for both.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-15, 02:01 AM
With the end of turn restriction, the gameplay's roughly the same as tapping it to grant the bonus to a creature. I think that would be a simpler implementation. I'd make the ability permanent, and sorcery speed. Mm... equipment creatures... I think there's real potential there.

Harmonic Resonator 3
Artifact (U)
T: Harmonize. (The next instant or sorcery spell you cast this turn is harmonized.)
Harmonized spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.

Next: Make a Ravnica card with a non-Ravnica mechanic.

Fortuna
2016-01-15, 02:22 AM
Interesting. On its own it's a sort of limited mana rock... but with more harmonize stuff it can be really cool really fast. I do wonder if it might not be a common, but it depends on the overall power level of harmonize cards in the set.

Revelrous Revenant 1RB
Creature - Zombie U
Unleash
Unearth 1RB
4/2

Make a card that manipulates time in some way other than skipping or granting extra turns.

ben-zayb
2016-01-15, 03:11 AM
CMC3 4/2 with drawback seems like a good baseline (even for uncommons), but this one seems to have no disadvantage and two good abilities. I would've made the Unearth more expensive by at least (1), so it doesn't flirt too close to the next rarity level.

Deja Vu Zeitgeist 2WU
Creature - Illusion Spirit (U)
Flash, First Strike
U: Return ~ to its owner's hand.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage, target player puts a permanent he or she controls on top of its owner's library.
2/1

Make a new version of a legendary that you thought was previously done "wrong".

r2d2go
2016-01-17, 04:08 AM
CMC3 4/2 with drawback seems like a good baseline (even for uncommons), but this one seems to have no disadvantage and two good abilities. I would've made the Unearth more expensive by at least (1), so it doesn't flirt too close to the next rarity level.

Deja Vu Zeitgeist 2WU
Creature - Illusion Spirit (U)
Flash, First Strike
U: Return ~ to its owner's hand.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage, target player puts a permanent he or she controls on top of its owner's library.
2/1

Make a new version of a legendary that you thought was previously done "wrong".

It seems... weirdly good? Surprise first striker is always nice, the flying doubly so, and it does get a lot of card advantage over time - basically, for five mana you get one few-strings attached card advantage. If your opponent doesn't have a way to deal with it, even worse. I would make the return to hand cost more, maybe add a discard to the cost.

Descendant of Bosh 4
Artifact Creature - Myr R
Latch 3R
Trample
Equipped creature gets +2/+3 and Trample.
Sacrifice ~: If ~ was attached to a creature, it deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
2/3

Latch 3R is (3R - ~ becomes a noncreature equipment until it isn't attached to a creature. Attach ~ to target creature.)

Challenge: Another card that has at least two separate, but reasonably good functions. Bonus points if it's a creature.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-18, 11:44 PM
Not too bad. The body is underwhelming, as is the latch effect; I would recommend lowering the cost or upping the power. Also, it's not likely to stay latched very long, as you're most likely going to latch it just to throw it at something; that works against its flavor resonance. Maybe this could be solved with a mana cost in addition to the sacrificing?

Disciple of Kozilek 1B
Creature - Human Wizard (U)
C, Sacrifice Disciple of Kozilek: Search your library for an Eldrazi card with converted mana cost 7 or higher, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
2/2

Next: A mana-producing artifact.

braveheart
2016-01-19, 02:05 AM
So a bear with a sac to draw your probable win con, it works, but it's biggest goal is the tutor effect.

Terrain Mirror 2
Artifact - U
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield it becomes a copy of target land.
walking upon it you'd never know it wasn't real

A noncreature spell

r2d2go
2016-01-19, 02:29 AM
It's not too insane, but it does have quite a bit of potential, copying Karoo lands or lands with powerful effects. I would definitely make it cost more though - As-is, it's got artifact synergy on a colorless Wild Growth.

Magnetic Mauler 3
Artifact - Equipment R
T, X - Attach target equipment with equip cost X to equipped creature.
Equipped creature gets +2/+2
Equip 3

Challenge: Another artifact, or another card that allows normally sorcery-speed actions occur at instant speed.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-19, 03:02 AM
Tapping equipment is weird, and adds unnecessary tracking complexity. I would phrase it "You may activate equip abilities of other equipments targeting equipped creature any time you could cast an instant." The gameplay is slightly different, but negligibly so, and I think that's a great improvement in elegance. That is a pretty interesting ability.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Red/Lightning%20Weaver_zpsujzwoozm.jpg

Next: A land.

Ninjaman
2016-01-19, 06:42 AM
First off it shouldn't be a mana symbol in the effect. Second it is too strong, it is a non cantripping quicken that also work for artifacts and enchantments, on a relevant body, at no additional cost if you cast a three mana spell. If it said CMC 2 it would be pushed but maybe printable, but as it is there are just too many things you can do with it.

Tomb of the Restless
Land - M
Tomb of the Restless enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
3BB, Sacrifice Tomb of the Restless: return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Another reanimation card.

ben-zayb
2016-01-19, 10:13 AM
It's basically instant-speed reanimation tacked on a land, which makes it already better than most MR lands. Even at sorcery speed, I'd put this at MR.

Brainchum Necromancer 1BB
Creature - Wizard (R)
2BB, T, Discard a card:
Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield tapped. It becomes a Zombie in addition to its other creature type and gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card or sacrifice this creature."
1/3

Make a card that seems to give your opponent a card advantage, but not really.

Jormengand
2016-01-19, 11:31 AM
It's fine, there are cards that do the same sort of thing better but aren't repeatable.

Dominate Monster 1UB
Sorcery - R
As an additional cost to cast Dominate Monster, discard a card.
Gain control of target creature. (This effect lasts indefinitely)

Next: Another card which requires discarding.

1pwny
2016-01-19, 09:28 PM
Mmm, I'm a little wary of it. I mean, its a dual-colored rare, but its still a permanent mind control. Most mind control effects have definite caps, too - like pop this enchantment, or, kill this creature to stop it. But this one is just a "Bam, your thing is mine now." You do lose card advantage from the discard, but it still seems too strong for me. I would have to see it in play to really tell, though.

Yarechah - 4WWR
Legendary Creature - Angel {MR}
Flying, First Strike
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Discard 7 cards: You gain 7 life and may deal 7 damage to target creature or player.
7/7

Challenge: Make a one-mana-cost cycle.

Jurai
2016-01-19, 10:43 PM
Yarechah - 4WWR
Legendary Creature - Angel {MR}
Flying, First Strike
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.
Discard 7 cards: You gain 7 life and may deal 7 damage to target creature or player.
7/7

Challenge: Make a one-mana-cost cycle.

A reverse Griselbrand... That could be an infinite combo right there, using Jund and Abundant Growth (Avacyn Restored) to drop Yarechah and Grizzy, since costed abilities that don't require tapping can be used ASAP.

Flash W
Instant- C
Tap target non-Human creature.

Surf U
Instant- M
Target creature gets Islandwalk until end of turn.

Cut B
Instant C
Target Plant creature gets -0/-1 until end of turn.

Rock Smash R
Instant- U
You may sacrifice a Mountain you control. If you do, you may deal one damage to each creature your opponent controls.

Strength G
Instant- C
Target creature you control gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

Challenge: Final Fantasy characters.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-19, 11:13 PM
They are all common. They are all unplayable. They will all get printed anyway and clog up your limited pool. Perfectly on-flavor with the source material. :smalltongue:

Lightning, Swordsman WW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier R
Lightning (This card is all colors.)
First Strike
2: Search your library for a creature card with Lightning, exile it, then shuffle your library. Lightning, Swordsman becomes a copy of that creature. If Lightning, Swordsman is your commander, you may set the exiled card as your commander; if you do, put it in your command zone.
3/3

(Trying to mimic the FF job-changing mechanics in a fun way. Only certain legendary creature cards with Lightning in their name are ever printed with Lightning, in case it wasn't clear.)

Challenge! Cat! Go!

r2d2go
2016-01-20, 12:52 AM
This is super weird, but the real problem is that it's a 3/3 first strike for 2. That's probably not a good thing. Combined with the fact that I believe it resets increasing commander cost, this is a dangerous thing. Should probably be 3/1 or 3/2, and I hope the other Lightning creatures are 2 drops of each color and nothing bigger...

At the same time, it seems really cool, and while it might not be printable, something like it would make Commander a lot more interesting :smalltongue:

Clawsy 1WW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Cat R
Latch 4WW
First strike
You choose how Clawsy or creatures equipped by Clawsy are blocked by your opponents.
Equipped creature gets +2/+1 and First Strike.
2/1

Challenge: Another creature that is functionally unblockable.

ben-zayb
2016-01-20, 01:49 AM
I'm not sure exactly how to price a mini Master Warcraft effect. A 2/1 First Strike with that could already use 1-2 more mana to cast, even at rare. The latch costs looks fine. On the other hand, it feels like some combination of Unblockable, and "T: deal damage equal to its power, distributed among any number of creatures", each of which is cheap on its own.

Viashino Opportunist R
Creature - Lizard Rebel U
Haste
~ can't attack opponents who control at least one creature.
Whenever a spell is cast or a non-creature permanent becomes a creature, return ~ to its owner's hand.
3/1

Make a permanent that feels like a non-permanent.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-20, 01:53 AM
Sorry, forgot to review your card.
This is 3 damage to the face on turn 1, and possibly more later. I quite like the idea, but it might be too powerful in the aggro deck. Also, the "noncreature becoming a creature" clause is extremely narrow, and the card would be better off without it.

Dragonfire Adept 2R
Creature - Human Shaman (C)
When Dragonfire Adept enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to target creature you control and 3 damage to target creature you don't control.
3/2

Next: Make something based on the last movie you've seen.

r2d2go
2016-01-20, 02:50 AM
It seems fine, but quite powerful and counter-intuitive for a common. Much of the time you can use this to blast a big ally for 3 (though that might be hard in mono-red, it's not a heavy color weight), and it's suddenly a mini Flametongue Kavu, which is really strong. I'd probably make it uncommon.

I think this episode was long enough to be a movie...

White Christmas, Black Mirror 1WB
Legendary Enchantment - R
W, Discard a card - Detain target creature. Put a 0/1 colorless Simulacrum token onto the battlefield. It has the same name as detained creature.
B, Sacrifice a Simulacrum - Draw a card.

Challenge: Another legendary permanent. Bonus points if it's not a creature.

ben-zayb
2016-01-20, 05:31 AM
It's a cool concept, but it's too powerful in practice: It's a no-limits off-color multipurpose (chump generation, plus whose same-naming can be exploited, and then you even get Detain) looting that even breaks the color pie. I'd definitely add a T on one of the activated abilities to limit the looting, at least. Also, wouldn't an artifact be a better fit for this cookie tech?

One World Order 3WWWUUU
Legendary Enchantment - M
Creatures enter the battlefield under your control.
Sacrifice X creatures: Gain control of target spell with converted mana cost X or less.

Make a G or R card for a control deck. Bonus points if its both, and bonus points if it's a creature.

Ninjaman
2016-01-20, 07:05 AM
It's powerful, but probably not much more than omniscience, so it's fine. The second ability feels tacked on though, and even if it should be on I think it should have a you choose new targets clause.

Mugbaltak - 4GR
Legendary Creature - Giant - M
Trample
Sacrifice a land: Mugbaltak gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Sacrifice a land: Return Mugbaltak to your hand.
5/5

Another finisher.

braveheart
2016-01-20, 11:06 AM
I don't see how he fulfills the challenge, but aside from that he's a powerful finisher, that's about it, the second ability is mostly useless, except to keep him away from you graveyard

Lea, Angel of Death 4 WB
Legendary Creature - Angel - R
Double Strike, Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature
[I]"She is the harvester of the mighty, and unjust"[I]
3/4

Make me a cake

Jormengand
2016-01-20, 12:09 PM
Vindicate on a nice body... I might make it cost one more, but it's just about okay.

The Cake of Temptation 7
Legendary Artifact - R
Creatures you don't control attack you each turn if able.
7: Target player gains control of The Cake of Temptation.
Cake or death?

Next: Another legendary artifact.

r2d2go
2016-01-20, 12:19 PM
I don't see how he fulfills the challenge, but aside from that he's a powerful finisher, that's about it, the second ability is mostly useless, except to keep him away from you graveyard

If you've got plenty of mana, the second ability lets him dodge removal, so so you're getting a 6 drop for a land. That's why he's a control card - he's the RG equivalent of Pearl Lake Ancient. Kinda.

Lea, Angel of Death 4 WB
Legendary Creature - Angel - R
Double Strike, Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy target creature
[I]"She is the harvester of the mighty, and unjust"[I]
3/4

Make me a cake

Seems really strong. It's better than a 6/4 ETB Doomblade, anyway. I'd like it better at 4/4 first strike, since that seems more... Angelic?

Vindicate on a nice body... I might make it cost one more, but it's just about okay.

The Cake of Temptation 7
Legendary Artifact - R
Creatures you don't control attack you each turn if able.
7: Target player gains control of The Cake of Temptation.
Cake or death?

Next: Another legendary artifact.

Seems pretty hilarious in Commander. I'm a bit worried about its power level, but I suppose unless you're really ramping it's not going to kill anyone... Pretty ok.

The Baker 5
Legendary Creature - Myr R
Latch 7
Double Strike
R - ~ or equipped creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. If a creature damaged by ~ or equipped creature dies this turn, add R to your mana pool.
Equipped creature gets -1/+3 and Double Strike.
Cake not meant for human consumption.
-1/3

Challenge: Another professional, or another card that burns leftover mana.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-20, 11:22 PM
That's a lot of text. Is all of it necessary? I think the disparate elements can be trimmed down to the strongest element of the card. I'm not really sure what the strongest element would be though. Latch double strike?

Cellarkeeper 1G
Creature - Hedgehog (C)
W: You gain 1 life.
"Nothin' to warm the bones like a draught of good October Ale."

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Green/Cellarkeeper_zpstq1mvyte.png

Next: A counterspell.

Fortuna
2016-01-21, 12:16 AM
That's a pretty nice mana sink once you're topdecking. I'd want to see it playtested, although to be fair it's unlikely to see play outside Limited and not very useful in multiples.

Crystallize Spell 1U
Instant - U
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered in this way, its controller puts an X/X blue Illusion creature into play, where X is that spell's converted mana cost. That creature has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

Another card with the Illusion ability text on it. Bonus points for a non-creature that doesn't make a token.

r2d2go
2016-01-21, 01:00 AM
That's a pretty nice mana sink once you're topdecking. I'd want to see it playtested, although to be fair it's unlikely to see play outside Limited and not very useful in multiples.

Crystallize Spell 1U
Instant - U
Counter target noncreature spell. If that spell is countered in this way, its controller puts an X/X blue Illusion creature into play, where X is that spell's converted mana cost. That creature has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

Another card with the Illusion ability text on it. Bonus points for a non-creature that doesn't make a token.

It's very interesting, but it seems really bad. In fact, at first, I thought you got the illusion, but it's "its controller", so I guess not. I would make it cost U, since I think the X/X guy is not significantly worse (if not better in many circumstances) than Swan Song's 2/2 bird, and at 1U it's a lot worse than Negate.

Shadow Conjuration XUB
Instant - U
Search your deck for a creature with converted mana cost X, put it onto the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on it, then shuffle your deck. It has "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."

Technically not a creature spell, or a token :smalltongue:

Minor Image 1U
Instant - U
Creatures your opponent controls with power 2 or less become can't attack until end of turn.
If any creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability, counter this spell.
Draw a card.

Seems inelegant, so I don't like it as much.

Challenge: Another card that searches your deck.

ben-zayb
2016-01-21, 06:18 PM
Flavorwise, players unfamiliar with D&D might not see the connection between shadow magic and illusions. Mechanically, it's fairly balanced by making them much weaker save for a few exceptions like creatures with Hexproof or Shroud (not that uncommon in blue) or creatures whose ETB/Dies abilities are just as, if not more, important than the chassis.

Mindbreak Mantra (U/B)(U/B)
Enchantment - (R)
Increase your maximum hand size by the number of cards in your graveyard.
(U/B), Discard a card: Search your library for a card with the same name as the discarded card, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library afterwards.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...

Make a card that has to do with cards/permanents of same name.

Fortuna
2016-01-21, 10:25 PM
The first ability usually amounts to "You have no maximum hand size" - which is good, because "You have no maximum hand size" isn't even worth a generic mana. The second ability... well, it really depends on what this is in Standard with. It's probably too slow to be played in Legacy, never mind Vintage, the synergies aren't really strong enough to make it worthwhile in Modern that I'm aware, and a combo card that relies on having multiple copies of whatever it's comboing with is not going to go great with Limited, unless there's some sort of fill-your-graveyard-with-lands deck. In Standard, meanwhile, it looks really swingy - if you have anything good to combo it with it gets multiple copies into the graveyard easily and sticks around to combo with other things. Some kind of Unearth deck, maybe? Extremely hard to evaluate in isolation at any rate.

Endless Reinforcements 2WW
Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may search your library for a card with the same name as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Make a card that represents something with text - a book, a scroll, or anything with writing on it.

Jurai
2016-01-21, 10:41 PM
Endless Reinforcements 2WW
Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may search your library for a card with the same name as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library.

Make a card that represents something with text - a book, a scroll, or anything with writing on it.

That would be interesting. I'd probably make it an Aura, and have it look for a copy of enchanted creature, though that may interact with the Blue Angel from Avacyn Restored.

Scroll of Ages 7
Legendary Artifact- M
All creatures you control with History counters gain Indestructible and Hexproof.
T: Target creature gains a History counter.
3, T: Draw a number of cards equal to one-half the number of History counters on all creatures you control.
4, T, Sacrifice ~: All creatures you control with History counters gain First Strike.
The past is carved in stone, but time destroys all stone.

Challenge: A card representing a piece of art or an artist (No Un-cards allowed).

Ninjaman
2016-01-22, 12:52 AM
Permanents don't gain counters, you put counters on them. The second ability is worded wrong, it should be hal rounded up or down. The last ability does absolutely nothing since all the creatures already have indestructible, and even if they didn't it is just so much weaker than the two other modes I just don't see the point of it.

Animated Canvas - 1
Artifact - U
Whenever you cast a colored spell, Animated canvas becomes all colors that spell is in addition to its other colors until end of turn.
As long as Animated Canvas is one or more colors it is a creature with power and toughness equal to the number of colors it has.

It would exist in a shards/wedge set

Another card that cares about colors.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-22, 01:21 AM
Well, I like the idea. It's easy enough to remember whether you've cast a spell of a given color on a given turn. Still, the mechanism is complicated and difficult enough that it might need to be rare, at which point the payoff might not be worth bothering. To make things easier, maybe your auto-canvas could stay animated the whole time and just pump itself? Perhaps a 1/1 with, "This creature gets +1/+1 for each color among spells you've cast this turn." Then it might even get away with being common, even if you put back the original's first ability for some reason.

Goozle B
Instant - C
Devoid (This card has no color.)
Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn for each of its colors.
Buyback CC (If you pay this card's Buyback cost as you cast it, return it to your hand as it resolves instead of putting it into your graveyard. C can only be paid with colorless mana.)
I'd have named this something like Essence Drain, but there are already so many cards with names like that that it's actually kind of difficult to come up with a novel variation. Feel free to come up with your own name for it.

Challenge! Horse! Go!

braveheart
2016-01-22, 01:46 AM
Lazy naming/flavor text aside its not a bad card, and could certainly be printed, but never used outside limited, then again that is the fate of most commons

Gift Horse 1W
Creature - Horse - C
When ~ enters the battlefield gain 2 life
Don't look him in the mouth
2/2

Something with only generic mana in it's costs (casting, and abilities)

Ninjaman
2016-01-22, 04:57 AM
It's a common that's playable I guess. It's strictly better than that origins common that does the same thing but for each card with that name you control. I would have preferred if it gave 3 or 4 life, since it could then see some sideboard play against mono red in standard.

Armor of the Fallen - 3
Artifact - Equipment - U
Whenever a creature you control dies, put a charge counter on Armor of the Fallen.
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each charge counter on Armor of the Fallen.
Equip 3

Another card that likes when your creatures die.

ben-zayb
2016-01-22, 09:14 AM
The ability feels too static that it won't normally change a lot if it is worded "Equipped creature gets +X/+X, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard". That said, it's more flexible and usable than either Wreath of Geists or Strength from the Fallen, so I suppose that justifies the CMC and equip cost. Charge counters are also more flexible, so that situationally adds a minor bump in power.

Oil Spill (R/P)
Enchantment - R
((R/P) can be paid with either R or 2 life.)
Infect
Whenever a creature you control dies, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Make a Curse that could be beneficial if targeted to you.

braveheart
2016-01-22, 01:29 PM
I would change it to creatures only, because poison counters can get a bit rediculous, however changing the infect to whither would also be good

Curse of the Magi 2BW
Enchantment - Aura, Curse - R
Enchant target player
Whenever enchanted player loses life, you gain half that much life rounded up

Another curse

Jormengand
2016-01-22, 01:59 PM
This becomes broken with pay life effects. Oh look, I'll just Dystopia. Fire Convenant. Greed. Griselbrand. Hatred. Infernal Darkness. Inner Sanctum. Killing Wave. Kuro, Pitlord. Minion of the Wastes. Necrologia. Necropotence. Phyrexian Processor. Plague of Vermin goes infinite because you heal during its resolution. Souldrinker. Treasonous Ogre. All of these become ridiculously powerful with this effect, which also makes you nigh-immortal.

Curse of prevention 4UUU
Enchantment - Aura Curse R
Enchant player.
Whenever enchanted player casts a spell, counter it unless that player pays its mana cost (Again)

Next: Another 8-drop or bigger enchantment.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-22, 03:09 PM
Well, it's appropriately costed. It's flashy, and it can be a fun killer, but by the time you cast it, the blue control deck is probably the only one that's not in topdeck mode yet. It's an effective speed bump against decks that usually redraw their hands or play win conditions at that point.

Me, Ignoring Non-Enchantments 6WW
Enchantment - R
When MINE enters the battlefield, gain control of all enchantments. You may move each aura enchantment enchanting a permanent to another permanent it could enchant.
You may spend mana on activated abilities of enchantments as though it were mana of any color.
Exile MINE: exile all other enchantments.

Challenge! Make a red and/or green creature with an enters-the-battlefield effect.

ben-zayb
2016-01-22, 08:44 PM
The first and third abilities look too situational yet overpriced. The second ability is ultimately what I think players would be after, although I find it off-color and assume that it is the reason why it's a bit costly than the 1st/3rd ability deserves.

Warbound Alpha XRRGG
Creature - Beast Warrior (R)
Haste, Tribute X
When ~ enters the battlefield, untap all creatures with power less than X and gain control of them until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn. If tribute wasn't paid, creatures you control gain +X/+X and trample until end of turn.

4/4

Make a card with at least one terrible pun. (Of course, the effect should make sense for both contexts.)

Atomburster
2016-01-23, 01:30 AM
The first and third abilities look too situational yet overpriced. The second ability is ultimately what I think players would be after, although I find it off-color and assume that it is the reason why it's a bit costly than the 1st/3rd ability deserves.

Warbound Alpha XRRGG
Creature - Beast Warrior (R)
Haste, Tribute X
When ~ enters the battlefield, untap all creatures with power less than X and gain control of them until end of turn. They gain haste until end of turn. If tribute wasn't paid, creatures you control gain +X/+X and trample until end of turn.

4/4

Make a card with at least one terrible pun. (Of course, the effect should make sense for both contexts.)

I kinda think this ought to cost maybe (1) more, though otherwise it seems a pretty good card. Certainly a game-ending one, for sure.

DETERMINATION RRRRRR{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}{W/B}
Legendary Enchantment (R)
You can't lose the game, and your opponents can't win.

At the start of each turn, you may select a card from either the exile zone or graveyard and shuffle it into your deck.

If ~ would leave the field for any reason, you may instead sacrifice a permanent.

But it refused.

Challenge: A prismatic planeswalker.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-23, 04:08 AM
Instead of giving a detailed critique, let me just ask one question. Do you think this card would be fun to play with or against?

Vail, the Wanderer WUBRG
Planeswalker - Vail (M)
+3: Search your library for a card and put into your hand. Shuffle your library.
-3: Exile two target permanents.
-12: For each color, put a permanent card of that color from outside the game onto the battlefield.
(5)

Next: A counterspell.

Fortuna
2016-01-23, 05:30 AM
WUBRG for a tutor every turn seems reasonable; the -3 is powerful, and having that hit every other turn is going to be obnoxious. I might make the +3 a +2 instead (and adjust the ult cost accordingly), just to trim that down a bit. The ultimate should probably specify "under your control" for readability if nothing else. The ultimate also sits in an odd place where it synergizes with the second ability but not the first, so that you either need to be doing something else to exile permanents or be getting further away from ult to set it up. The two minuses also feel a bit reminiscent of Karn, which is odd when comparing a generic walker to a prismatic one.

I'm sure I made a counterspell at your behest quite recently. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Mirrortrap 4UU
Legendary Enchantment - M
Flash
When Mirrortrap enters the battlefield, exile target creature spell.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you don't control a creature with the same name as a card exiled with Mirrortrap, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of a creature card exiled with Mirrortrap except that it's a Reflection in addition to its other types.
The Swordsman could only watch in horror as his reflection butchered his allies time and time again.

Make another card with flash.

ben-zayb
2016-01-23, 06:19 AM
It's a pretty clever way of countering, and it will be pretty annoying to get rid off. The proper phrasing seems to be "in addition to its other creature types".

Flashbomb Shinobi 3U
Creature - Ninja (U)
Flash, Ninjitsu 1U
When ~ enters or leaves the battlefield, remove any number of target creatures from combat. (Removed blocking creatures no longer do so.)
1/2

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-23, 12:50 PM
Oddly enough, I think the biggest problem with this card is the fact that it has Ninjutsu. It's acting at cross-purposes with the more interesting ability and forcing you to artificially inflate its normal casting cost. I wouldn't mind the Ninja tribe moving into this flash/ETB territory.

Incidentally, when you remove a blocking creature from combat, whatever it blocked is still considered blocked. The only real difference is that the removed creature is exempt from dealing or receiving combat damage. To do what you wanted to do, you have to specify it in non-reminder text. Take this example:

Whenever this creature becomes blocked, choose target creature blocking it. Remove that creature from combat. If that creature was the only creature blocking this creature, this creature is considered unblocked. (It deals its combat damage to defending player or planeswalker.)

Obviously, that way of doing things is pretty drawn out, so they usually shorten it to a similar effect that happens before blockers are declared.

Anyway, this:

Windway Intimidator 1RR
Creature - Human Pirate U
Shenever Windway Intimidator attacks, target creature you control gains Menace until end of turn. (It can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
A big stick and a healthy roar clears a path better than any cannon.
3/2

Challenge! Rat! Go!

Ninjaman
2016-01-23, 07:52 PM
That's actually a really neat design, but I think you could have pushed it a bit more. It's better than boggart brute, but not enough for harder mana cost and higher rarity. Pyreheart wolf also makes it seem a bit weak. A 2/1 for 2 would have been really cool. Otherwise just always giving it menace and then the ability to give another as well would make it feel more like an uncommon.

Vermin Raider - 1B
Creature - Rat Pirate - C
When Vermin Raider dies, target opponent must discard a card or lose 2 life.
2/1

Another pirate.

ben-zayb
2016-01-23, 08:46 PM
Simple and effective. It's around the same level as Black Cat, but packs more punch in exchange for giving enemies more agency when it dies.

Cutthroat Navigator 1G
Creature - Human Pirate (U)
Vigilance
Whenever an opponent plays a land, you may pay G and tap ~. If you do, search you library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, and then shuffle your library.
2/2

Make another pirate, or ninja, or zombie, or construct. More bonus points with more of those incorporated, as long as it's not obviously hodgepodged just because.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-24, 03:27 AM
Did you hear we liked ramp, so you put ramp on our ramp so we could ramp while we ramp? A card that gives lands so repeatedly and efficiently is pretty bonkers. ...of course, this forced me to go look up Llanowar Mentor, which is a little cheaper, but its ability also cost you cards, but it was also more reliable since it didn't rely on an opponent's decisions and creatures were all way less powerful back then and eurgheurhgh. Fine. I still don't see how it's a pirate, or why it needs vigilance. You can drop it and drop the tap effect, since the tapping is an extremely negligible drawback anyway. Honestly, this would have much made more sense as a pirate if it just searched for a land when it actually hit a player... I somehow get the feeling that that was what you started with, but you didn't go with that version for some reason.

Drowned Raiders 3U
Creature - Zombie Pirate U
Whenever Drowned Raiders deals combat damage to a creature, you may return that creature to its owner's hand.
1B: Regenerate Drowned Raiders
"We're takin' ye down with us! Again!"
3/3

Challenge! Ninja or Construct!

r2d2go
2016-01-24, 04:15 AM
Drowned Raiders 3U
Creature - Zombie Pirate U
Whenever Drowned Raiders deals combat damage to a creature, you may return that creature to its owner's hand.
1B: Regenerate Drowned Raiders
"We're takin' ye down with us! Again!"
3/3

Challenge! Ninja or Construct!

It seems very strong - Two good abilities on a blue Hill Giant. I'd say it makes sense if it wasn't optional to bounce, but as-is it's very strong, probably irritatingly so in limited. I might make this rare, and perhaps as a result push the power a bit more by making it B: Regenerate. Still, it's a good card, in design and in power :smallbiggrin:

War-Clone 2
Artifact Creature - Construct C
Latch 1
Equipped creature gets +1/+1.
While the false-myrs were uninspiring alone, an endless wall of unblinking eyes often ended battles before they started.
1/1

Challenge: Another small dude.

Ninjaman
2016-01-24, 03:05 PM
You should probably still write reminder text to latch since it isn't an official keyword. It reminds me of flayer husk, with cost and equip switch. It's probably a finely balanced common.

Stout Guard - 1W
Creature - Dwarf Warrior - C
Stout (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2

Another dwarf, or another creature with stout.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-24, 04:35 PM
It's a nice card, and while it won't often get to use its ability on its own, I'm all for a theme that encourages you to use combat tricks. This kind of reminds me of Heroic, actually. Stout is kind of a weird name for the keyword, though. A 2/4 creature is, "stout." An ability like this feels more like...

Bearscar Courser 2G
Creature - Centaur Warrior U
When Bearscar Courser enters the battlefield, you may have it fight target creature.
Survivor 1 (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put one +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/3

Challenge! An instant or sorcery that can target a creature and a non-creature permanent.

Jormengand
2016-01-24, 04:52 PM
I'm worried about the kind of power level you can achieve with this mechanic. I mean, compare this:

Bearscar Courser 2G
Creature - Centaur Warrior U
When Bearscar Courser enters the battlefield, you may destroy target creature with power and toughness 2 or less.
Survivor 1
3/4

And then realise that your version is actually pretty much better than that.

Souls to the Soil 4PG
Sorcery - R
Any number of target creatures you control become copies of target land.
When each hunt is over, the Gidai return to the earth to plan the next.

Next: Another card that changes something to a different type.

Ionbound
2016-01-24, 05:05 PM
...Huh. You know, that seems obscenely broken with a few lands that I can think of. In any event, it'd probably be too slow for play in any eternal format, so it'd really depend on what the lands look like in the standard it's in. All in all 7/10, which is pretty decent.

Tamiyo's Curse-1RG

Legendary Enchantment-R

All creatures you control gain +2/+2 and are werewolves in addition to their other types.

If two or more spells were cast last turn, sacrifice ~.

If no spells were cast last turn, return ~ from the graveyard to your hand.

As the curse changed Tamiyo, so to did the Soratami change the curse, making far more virulent than it ever was before.

Challenge: Create another card based on the theme of a werewolf-ified Tamiyo without making a Planeswalker card.

Jormengand
2016-01-24, 05:43 PM
Werewolf is a subtype.

Anyway, so it's a buff that can be got rid of by casting 2 or more spells, which isn't necessarily hard, and then it only returns to your hand if you sit around doing nothing. However, it does still give everyone +2/+2 for a turn, so I guess it works.

Curse of the Curseless 2GG
Enchantment - Aura MR
Enchant Planeswalker
Enchanted planeswalker is an X/X green werewolf creature in addition to its other types during your turn. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to enchanted planeswalker during your turn.
Everyone succumbs eventually. The full moon comes in, and then you are left wondering what you have done when it leaves.

Next: Something which changes things to another type (Not subtype)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-24, 09:00 PM
You've been hanging around with Roborosewater too long. WHAT IS X???

Settling Urge 1(w/g)(w/g)
Enchantment - Aura C
Enchant Permanent
Enchanted permanent is a tribal land. (It retains its creature subtypes, if any.)
Enchanted permanent loses all abilities and has, "T: add W or G to your mana pool."

Challenge! An blue instant with a converted mana cost of 4! (It can also be multicolored if you want)

ben-zayb
2016-01-24, 09:49 PM
For what it does, it looks at least a mana cheaper for a common, although the logic seems to be it becomes a W/G ramper. I'd probably make it 2(w/g)(w/g) just to be on the safe side for a common, or just make it uncommon.

Dimension Twister 2UU
Instant R
Counter target non-instant, non-sorcery spell. Return each permanent with the same type as that spell into its owner's hand.

Make another card that affects two or more cards of the same type.

r2d2go
2016-01-25, 01:50 AM
For what it does, it looks at least a mana cheaper for a common, although the logic seems to be it becomes a W/G ramper. I'd probably make it 2(w/g)(w/g) just to be on the safe side for a common, or just make it uncommon.

Dimension Twister 2UU
Instant R
Counter target non-instant, non-sorcery spell. Return each permanent with the same type as that spell into its owner's hand.

Make another card that affects two or more cards of the same type.

Seems completely insane. Hard counter is already something like 1UU, but this utterly wrecks a great number of boards for only 1 more. This seems like it should cost more like 7 - Cyclonic Rift costs that much, at the disadvantage of not countering a spell but the advantage of not needing a spell to be countered, and bouncing all types of nonland permanents, and having a cheaper option. Yeah, probably 4UU.

Blood Bond 1WB
Enchantment - R
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature subtype.
Creatures of that subtype get +1/+0. Other creatures get -1/-0.

(the "same type" is creature)

Challenge: Another asymmetrical buff (not +x/+x)

bekeleven
2016-01-25, 03:47 AM
Seems decent. Generally debuffing power is blue, but it appears in white as well. Could probably be dropped to uncommon and used to support some WB tribal draft archetype.

I'm going to cheat:

Climate Control UR
Enchantment - R
If you've spent blue mana to cast a spell this turn, creatures your opponents control get -1/-0.
If you've spent red mana to cast a spell this turn, creatures you control get +1/+0.

Hope you don't mind.

Next challenge: There's a card called Wanderlust (http://magiccards.info/al/en/135.html). Frankly, I don't like it flavorfully or mechanically. Build a top-down card called Wanderlust.

Eldan
2016-01-25, 10:33 AM
Looks solid. I mean, not even that strong, really. Not sure it needs to be rare, either.

Wanderlust 1GG

Enchantment - R

Exile a creature you control: Search your library for a basic land, reveal it, then put it into play tapped. Return all creatures exiled with Wanderlust to the battlefield tapped and under their owners control at the end of turn. Activate this ability as a sorcery. Any player may activate this ability.

Challenge: make a dual-colour enchantment, where one colour is red.

Jormengand
2016-01-25, 11:42 AM
You've been hanging around with Roborosewater too long. WHAT IS X???

Ah, bluh, loyalty! X is your loyalty! I forgot! Sorry!

Wanderlust 1GG

Enchantment - R

Exile a creature you control: Search your library for a basic land, reveal it, then put it into play tapped. Return all creatures exiled with Wanderlust to the battlefield tapped and under their owners control at the end of turn. Activate this ability as a sorcery. Any player may activate this ability.

This basically seems to be "At the end of each player's second main phase, that player taps any number of nontoken permanents that player controls. For each creature untapped in this way, that player may search their library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped". Which is a bit ridiculous and feels very mythic.

Challenge: make a dual-colour enchantment, where one colour is red.

Flamestorm PR
Enchantment C
Flamestorm 1 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 1 more damage instead)
The greatest fires were once just sparks, the greatest creations just sparks in their makers' eyes.

Next: Another common enchantment.

braveheart
2016-01-25, 02:28 PM
It's simple enough, and not bad on strength, but it's purple

Blessing of Stone W
Enchabtment - Aura - C
Enchanted Creature gets +0/+3

Maybe a Roc

Blue Ghost
2016-01-25, 04:32 PM
It's very weak, and probably unplayable in any format. Not to say it's unprintable, as sets need weak cards, but you could probably afford to make it a little stronger so it won't be quite as dead.

Carrier Roc 4W
Creature - Bird (U)
Flying
T: Up to three target attacking creatures each get +1/+1 and gain flying until end of turn.
3/3

Next: A monogreen mythic rare enchantment.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-25, 05:22 PM
Jormengand: Ohhh, okay. :smallbiggrin: The planeswolfer card is still pretty underwhelming since it's nearly impossible to use, but it does what it needs to do for the story and sometimes that's all you need. You could still probably cut the cost in half, though.

Anyway, I'm into the big bird. I wonder if you're giving the tap ability too little credit, since three is about the maximum number of other creatures you are likely to have on the board in limited, but the idea of distributing its services throughout your ranks keeps it all together. Fun, useful, good work.

Primal Nurturing 1GG
Enchantment - MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

Challenge! Two-color 2-drop! Go!

r2d2go
2016-01-25, 06:46 PM
Seems very strong but not mythic. Compare to Miyael's Aria (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=180620) I guess. Less conditional, less colors, not an alternate wincon, no lifegain. I'd say this is stronger - maybe make it GGG or only affect green creatures (stops G/W token insanity at least). It's probably ok though.

Vine Crawler UG
Creature - Plant Beetle C
3UG - ~ gets +2/+2 and Forestwalk until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Another card mostly for limited.

braveheart
2016-01-26, 02:19 AM
Only problem is that words has dropped land walk abilities, otherwise it's a nice card for limited,

Bog Runner RB
Creature - Troll - U
Haste
Whenever lethal damage is dealt to ~, regenerate it, and it does not untap durring your next untap step.
2/1

Something else that is durable

ben-zayb
2016-01-26, 08:47 AM
This is much better than Rakdos Shred-Freak, Viashino Sandscout, and even Strangleroot Geist. Auto-regenerate from lethal damage is a very powerful ability, even on a 2/1. With that combination of CMC, P/T, and abilities, I'd make it rare.

Planar Core
Land - (MR)
T: Tap or untap target land.
Lands can no longer be sacrificed, exiled, destroyed, or returned to their owners' hand.

Make a non-creature legendary.

Atomburster
2016-01-26, 10:32 AM
Planar Core
Land - (MR)
T: Tap or untap target land.
Lands can no longer be sacrificed, exiled, destroyed, or returned to their owners' hand.

Make a non-creature legendary.

Thats... pretty good. Like, really good. Especially with bouncelands. Especially with Bouncelands. Maybe you should have it enter the battlefield tapped, or something? Pay life to play it?

The Echoing Island
Legendary Land - R
When ~ enters the field, sacrifice target island you control. Otherwise, sacrifice ~.

Resolve the effects of all sorceries twice.

~ is also an island for effects which refer to 'island'.

Challenge: A 'quirky' card.

r2d2go
2016-01-26, 12:11 PM
Thats... pretty good. Like, really good. Especially with bouncelands. Especially with Bouncelands. Maybe you should have it enter the battlefield tapped, or something? Pay life to play it?

The Echoing Island
Legendary Land - R
When ~ enters the field, sacrifice target island you control. Otherwise, sacrifice ~.

Resolve the effects of all sorceries twice.

~ is also an island for effects which refer to 'island'.

Challenge: A 'quirky' card.

If you wanted to make this two land disadvantage, you could have just made this "Legendary Land - Island" and made the ETB "sacrifice two islands". That would cut two lines of text. Also, "resolve x twice" has not been done before - copying things has been generally done by copying the spell on the stack. Lastly, it's just way too strong to be printed nowadays - I just built a Riku EDH deck, and I can just imagine turn 4, tap an island or two, play this, tap a forest and this, Skyshroud Claim (or any of the other ramp spells in that deck). Instantly recoup your losses while permanently doubling your sorceries. It's just too much hard to remove power for too little cost.

Stone-Morph Weird 1UR
Creature - Weird U
U, sacrifice ~: Target creature becomes a 0/1 creature and loses all abilities until end of turn.
R, sacrifice ~: Destroy target land.
3/2

Challenge: Another card that's rocky.

Passive Pete
2016-01-26, 05:51 PM
It seems a little awkward, since the second ability is much stronger than the first, and land destruction is kind of ~weird~ to see on a weird, but the card still has that "weird" feel. It doesn't look overpowered or underpowered, so I think I like it overall. First ability could still probably stand to be stronger.

Rocky Balboa, the Italian Stallion 3WR
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior MR
Double strike
At the end of each combat phase, if ~ attacked or blocked this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
When ~ dies, you may move any number of +1/+1 counters from it to any number of creatures you control
3/3

:smallwink:

Rocky Balboa, the Italian Stallion 2WR
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior R
Whenever combat damage is dealt to ~, it deals that much damage to target creature or player
W/R W/R: ~ gains your choice of menace, double strike, or lifelink until end of turn
3/3

Challenge: Make a Khans of Tarkir style "ascendancy" enchantment for an Alara shard (Grixis, Naya, Bant, Esper, or Jund).

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-26, 06:48 PM
Crikey, Rocky's pretty strong... or a pretty nice limited card to open, anyway. Those colors are about as appropriate as we're going to get thanks to double-strike, though a mono-white version would also probably work for the way it might sacrifice itself to give your other creatures counters. I've never seen the movies, so if he dies near the end but somehow makes his friends stronger in the process, A+ I guess.

Jund Ascendancy BRG
Enchantment - J
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to an opponent, Jund Ascendency deals 1 damage to that opponent.
Whenever another noncreature source you control deals damage to an opponent, put a 1/1 red goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
The J is for JUND 'EM!

Challenge! A Bant or Esper enchantment - an aura this time. (It doesn't necessarily have to be in all of a shard's colors, as long as it feels right.)

r2d2go
2016-01-27, 12:57 AM
Seems alright, but I feel like the second ability isn't very Jund, which to me is more about bashing face and eating dudes than dealing noncreature damage (which is associated with magicky-hand-wavy nonsense :smalltongue:). I'd make the second trigger off nontoken creature death - it doesn't seem any stronger than Field of Souls.

Esper Reconstruction WUB
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchanted creature becomes an artifact. (It's still a creature.)
U(W/B): Choose one:

Put a +1/+1 counter on enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets flying until end of turn.
Enchanted creature gets lifelink until end of turn.
Regenerate enchanted creature.

Etherium improves.

Challenge: Another modular card, or another card that can permanently improve something. Bonus points for both.

ben-zayb
2016-01-27, 01:48 AM
So do they lose other types aside from creature? Enchantment creatures become artifact creatures? If so, wouldn't it be better to just say "Enchanted creature becomes an artifact creature." Otherwise, "Enchanted creatures becomes an artifact in addition to its other types" would follow earlier templating. The abilities are fine, and the quantity of options justifies the rarity. I think modal on activated abilities just looks plain wonky, and should be better templated as Morphling was.

And surely, you must mean "modal", right? :smalltongue: I love the extra challenge, though.

Arcbound Transformer XC
Artifact Creature (R)
Modular X, Sunburst
Whenever ~ attacks, you may remove a +1/+1 counter from it and choose one-
Target creature gains Lifelink
Target creature gains Flying
Target creature gains Menace
Target creature gains First Strike
Target creature gains Trample

0/0

Make a card where colors matter, either rewarding or punishing, for least or most colors.

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 09:43 AM
I'm wary of anything that just hands out flying - indefinite flying - to whatever the hell you like. Also, remembering that your creature was given flying by something which is no longer on the battlefield might be annoying to some players...

Chromabolt 1R
Sorcery - R
Chromabolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
If you spent W to cast chromabolt it has lifelink. If you spent U to cast chromabolt, scry 2. If you spent B to cast chromabolt it has infect. If you spent G to cast chromabolt, put a 1/1 green saproling creature token onto the battlefield under your control.

Next: A spell with "You", "Win", "The" and "Game" on it, but without "You win the game" on it.

braveheart
2016-01-27, 01:40 PM
Not bad, although the scry snd infect are both notably stronger than other options.

House of Games (3)
Artifact - U
Pay 1 life, T: flip 2 coins, if you win both, draw a card and gain 3 life, if you lose both lose 1 life.
Here the bets are made with blood and secrets

(Games instead of Game, but I think that's forgivable)

Another artifact

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 02:07 PM
You could have made it a Game House. :smalltongue:

Anyway, so this is how it works out:
25%: Lose 2 life.
50%: Lose 1 life.
25%: Gain 2 life (Nice ninja-edit). Draw a card.

This means that it's going to take most of the game for this to actually produce tangible card advantage. Even Krark's Thumb only makes the chance of getting a card 56%. Two of them with a mirror gallery makes it actually likely that you'll start making cards, which is just as well given you've dropped 12 mana and 4 cards doing this. Basically, this is insultingly bad.

Blade of the Immortal 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment R
Equip 2
Whenever equipped creature deals lethal damage to a creature with Indestructible, exile that creature.
Damage dealt by equipped creature can't be prevented.

Next: Another equipment, fortification or aura.

Eldan
2016-01-27, 03:01 PM
That feels suuuuper situational. There's, what, maybe one or two indestructible things per set?

Lightning Chariot 4

Artefact - Equipment (R)

Equip - 3

Equipped creature has flying, first strike and haste and can not block.

Make a siege-engine.

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 04:10 PM
Magic uses "Can't", not cannot or can not. Anyway, it seems... fine, apart from that. Not convinced that it needs to be rare.

Battering Ram 3
Artifact - Equipment C
Equip 2
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has trample and can't be blocked by walls.
Sometimes, ramming six feet of steel into a gate is the best way through it.

Next: Another common artifact.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-27, 04:44 PM
Battering Ram is already the name of a card, which I only know because I have one and it's awful. Yours is better.

Emerald Spider 3
Artifact Creature - Spider C
Reach
1GG: Emerald Spider gains deathtouch until end of turn.
1/3

Challenge! Something that gives a creature reach! Go!

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 05:21 PM
Well I mean it's fine. Nice if you're playing UG so you can leave UGG open and throw an instant at something if your deathtouch discourages the enemy from attacking.

Defence Devotion 3WW
Enchantment - Aura R
Enchant creature.
Enchanted creature has Reach, Indestructible, Protection from Instant and Sorcery Spells, and Lifelink.
Nothing shall pass this gate. This I promise.

Next: Another card that grants Indestructible

braveheart
2016-01-27, 05:35 PM
Very nice in limited, it might need to be uncommon, to balance that environment, but it would take play testing to do that

Winged Imp 2B
Creature - Imp - U
Flying
Descrated: if the battlefield has a greater devotion to black than white, ~ gains first strike
Sanctified: if the battlefield's devotion to white is greater than it's devotion to black, ~ loses flying and gains reach
2/2

_________darn ninjas____________
It's a powerful aura, but the cost seems to be worth it, it might still be a little short, but not by much

Guardian Angel 3WW
Creature - Angel - R
Flash, Flying
Sanctified: if the battlefield's devotion to white is greater than it's devotion to black, When ~ enters the battlefield, target creature gains indestructible until end of turn
Desecrated: if the battlefield's devotion to black is greater than it's devotion to White, when ~ enters the battlefield sacrafice it, unless it is one of your main phases
4/4

So my thought is a set where there are 3 main conflicts, Frozen (blue) vs. Aflame (red), Sanctified (White) vs. Desecrated (black), and manufactured (colorless) vs. wild (Green). The main mechanic of the set will be cards benefiting from the field being of their alignment, but if you can think of a better way to define that, feel free to share and use it for my challenge so with that explained,

Make a card using one of these conflicts, or if you don't like that make a card that is unblickable (preferably NOT both)

Jurai
2016-01-27, 06:05 PM
Guardian Angel 3WW
Creature - Angel - R
Flash, Flying
Sanctified: if the battlefield's devotion to white is greater than it's devotion to black, When ~ enters the battlefield, target creature gains indestructible until end of turn
Desecrated: if the battlefield's devotion to black is greater than it's devotion to White, when ~ enters the battlefield sacrafice it, unless it is one of your main phases
4/4

So my thought is a set where there are 3 main conflicts, Frozen (blue) vs. Aflame (red), Sanctified (White) vs. Desecrated (black), and manufactured (colorless) vs. wild (Green). The main mechanic of the set will be cards benefiting from the field being of their alignment, but if you can think of a better way to define that, feel free to share and use it for my challenge so with that explained,

Make a card using one of these conflicts, or if you don't like that make a card that is unblickable (preferably NOT both)

Hmm, nice and swingy.

Avalanche Lancer 1RR
Creature- Human Knight R
Frozen: if the battlefield's devotion to Blue is greater than its devotion to Red, tap two creatures your opponent controls. They don't untap during the next untap step.
Aflame: if the battlefield's devotion to Red is greater than its devotion to Blue, ~ gains Haste and First Strike.
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may tap an additional Mountain. If you do, put one +1/+1 counter on ~.
"Strike when they least expect it, and you will succeed gloriously."

Challenge: Something with some kind of evasion.

Jormengand
2016-01-27, 06:56 PM
Critique - When you play this text, remind target player how to format ability words. Also, there's no reason they couldn't be one: Frozen and Aflame - If each player's combined devotion to Blue is greater than their devotion to Red, tap two creatures your opponent controls. They don't untap during the next untap step.
If each player's combined devotion to Red is greater than their devotion to Blue, ~ gains Haste and First Strike.

Voidblade 3UP
Creature - Human Warrior U
Warpstrike (When this is blocked, you may pay U/P to exile it and return it tapped and attacking.)
When Voidblade enters the battlefield, untap it.
3/5

Next: A card with "Destroy" "Target" and "Creature" on it, but without "Destroy target" or "Target creature" and it doesn't destroy any creatures. This one will require a little thought.

Dispulsion Charm 2UU
Choose one:
- Counter target spell.
- Return two target creatures to their owners' hands.
- Destroy target red enchantment.

braveheart
2016-01-27, 07:51 PM
Strong and balanced, I don't know about the pseudovigilance, but that can only occur when he gets blocked so there is a work around to help. Overal good
Also your example didn't fit your criteria

The Power of Flame 2R
Sorcery - R
Choose 1
- destroy all artifacts
- each creature you control gets +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn
- deal 4 damage to target player

Make a creature with flying

1pwny
2016-01-27, 07:58 PM
Voidblade 3UP
Creature - Human Warrior U
Warpstrike (When this is blocked, you may pay U/P to exile it and return it tapped and attacking.)
When Voidblade enters the battlefield, untap it.
3/5

Almost always better than Silkenfist Order (as an example card to compare to), but with the extra mana cost for Warpstrike and the 2-colorness of it, I think that it's pretty fair. Maybe.

Next: A card with "Destroy" "Target" and "Creature" on it, but without "Destroy target" or "Target creature" and it doesn't destroy any creatures. This one will require a little thought.

Challenge accepted.

Survivalist's Counterspell - 1U
Instant - {U}
Counter target instant or sorcery spell that would destroy a creature you control.

The Power of Flame 2R
Sorcery - R
Choose 1
- destroy all artifacts
- each creature you control gets +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn
- deal 4 damage to target player

Ehh.... I'm not so sure. I think all those effects pretty much cost 3, so individually it should be fine. The problem with this is that I can't really see any Red deck that wouldn't play it. It's first ability is probably too stronk, I could see it as 1RR though. It's second ability is like overloaded Weapon Surge, so that's fine. But number 3 is better (in just about every way) than Flame Javelin. That's not really OK, especially when you put every single one of those effects onto one card.

Quadrocopter 1
Artifact Creature - Thopter {C}
Flying
It costs 1 less to attach an equipment to ~. {derp}how do I phrase this?{/derp}
0/1

Challenge: Meh. Idk man. Choose an ability (trample or whatever) that you think could be used in a new, interesting way, and use it in that new, interesting way.

ben-zayb
2016-01-27, 10:14 PM
Maybe follow Auriok Steelshaper with "Equip costs you pay to attach to ~ costs 1 less."? The card looks fine for a common thopter.

Daggerclaw Alpha 3WR
Creature - Fox Ninja R
Ninjutsu 1WR
Ninjas you control have Double Strike during your turn.
3/2

Another new usage or twist for an evergreen ability, or a new ability that can be easily made evergreen.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-28, 01:01 AM
Ninjas are blue and black. While I could theoretically see a red or white ninja, I don't think ninjas belong in those colors. Making a ninja lord in red/white implies that those are common colors for ninjas, which feels wrong. 3/2 double strike is very powerful, and being able to get it out on turn 3 is worrying.

Akkadian Blockade UB
Creature - Wall (U)
Defender, deathtouch, prowess
Despite the corpses piled beneath the wall, many try to scale it, gambling with their lives for a chance at freedom.
0/4

Next: A build-around card for limited.

Ninjaman
2016-01-28, 04:58 AM
My biggest fear is if someone puts a +1/+1 counter on it, but as long as the set uses -1/-1 counters instead I think we're safe. It's a very cool design.

Gate to the Underworld - 2BB
Enchantment - U
At the beginning of your upkeep you may return target zombie card from your graveyard to your hand.

Another black enchantment.

Jormengand
2016-01-28, 11:51 AM
I mean sure, it's probably fair. It has room for flavour text, too. But, wait, what plane is this from? Underworld makes me think Theros, given that all the cards referring to a nondream, noncriminal underworld are from Theros (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[underworld]), but there are only 14 different zombies in Theros, (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=|[%22Born%20of%20the%20Gods%22]|[%22Journey%20into%20Nyx%22]|[%22Theros%22]&subtype=+[%22Zombie%22]) only one of which actually has interactions with Zombie Tribal. Also, the greek underworld makes me think spirits more than zombies, which would probably have better interactions (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=|[%22Born%20of%20the%20Gods%22]|[%22Journey%20into%20Nyx%22]|[%22Theros%22]&subtype=+[%22Spirit%22]) given the set contains lots of Constellation.

You'll notice that this oddly specific critique is because there's nothing actually wrong with your card. :smalltongue:

Sabrine, Fallen Touch 2BB
Enchantment Planeswalker - Sabrine MR
0: You may have Sabrine become an aura and attach her to target creature until that creature leaves the battlefield.
+1: Put a -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.
-6: Put a -1/-1 counter on each creature you don't control for each -1/-1 counter on enchanted creature.

Next: Another card with two types (not subtypes) that haven't been on the same card yet (You can have a transform card to do this if you like).

braveheart
2016-01-28, 12:24 PM
Ok, a naturalize able plainswalker, who's only purpose is to put -1/-1 counters on the creature it's attached to, so when attached to a creature can this plainswalker be damage by attacking it? This is a very weird mechanic and I feel like there is a reason why it hasn't been done before.

The Great Bank (4)
Artifact World - R
At the beginning of each player's upkeep they gain a Gold Artifact token with "sacrifice gold to add C to your mama pool"

Something that has only generic and colorless mana costs on it

Jormengand
2016-01-28, 01:01 PM
So there's a problem: World isn't a type, it's a supertype (They used to be "Enchant world" cards, meaning they were effectively auras that enchanted the entire world. Which I guess is cool). First, that means it's a World Artifact, second it means that it doesn't fit the challenge. Third, World is so old a mechanic that it's not even listed on the Storm Scale - it was last seen almost 20 years ago. I mean, fourth, it's not even a good card to play, but that's not even the point any more.

Shadow of Glory 5CC
Sorcery - R
Put X glory counters on yourself, where X is half the number of creatures on the battlefield.
Remove a glory counter from yourself and exile a creature of your choice (This doesn't target the creature) with the lowest power of all creatures on the battlefield. Repeat this process until you have no glory counters.

Next: Another card that takes effect more than once.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-28, 04:52 PM
Shadow of Glory 5CC
Sorcery - R
Put X glory counters on yourself, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield.
Remove a glory counter from yourself and exile a creature of your choice (This doesn't target the creature) with the lowest power of all creatures on the battlefield. Repeat this process until you have no glory counters.

So... it... exiles all creatures. I see no other way of interpreting it. Is this supposed to be from a set where cycling through glory counters is a big deal on its own, or are you trying to obfuscate the effect for some reason, or did you actually mean for it to do something different and it just came out wrong? Granted, exiling all creatures is a very, 'colorless,' effect that would fit well in Oath of the Gatewatch, assuming it wasn't printed already under a different name. I just can't wrap my head around what you're trying to do by durdling around with counters in the process.

Vocal Objector 1W
Creature - Human Cleric R
When Vocal Objector enters the battlefield, target opponent gains control of it.
Defender
Other creatures you control can't attack unless you pay (2) for each attacking creature.
0/4

Latent Disloyalty 3RR
Enchantment - MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste until end of turn.

Challenge! A lawyer???

Blue Ghost
2016-01-28, 06:40 PM
Very powerful and splashy effect, and is the kind of thing that a red commander deck needs. Maybe it would be better as a creature so it's easier to deal with, but it's a very neat idea. I like it.

Intrepid Barrister WU
Creature - Human Advisor (R)
T, Discard a card: Counter target spell unless its controller reveals a card from his or her hand with the same converted mana cost as the discarded card.
"OBJECTION!"
1/3

Next: Something that cares about basic lands.

Jormengand
2016-01-28, 06:49 PM
So last time I missed out the value of X, this time I missed the word "Half". Duh.

Latent Disloyalty is an Act of Treason each turn for only 1R more. Compare, uh, Enduring Ideal and Lost Auramancers. Yeah. Uhm, so the point is that Enduring Ideal costs a load more for the privilege of acting every turn, and that has a pretty big drawback! Latent Disloyalty is just plain crazy.

The Arbiter 7UUU
Legendary Creature - Incarnation R
Indestructible
Counter each spell you don't control unless its controller pays 1.
5/5

Intrepid Barrister... mana advantage if you can counter the spell, card disadvantage if you can't. I don't see it as worth it, really.

Glory to the Gateless 2R
Sorcery - U
Destroy target nonbasic land. If that land was a gate, Glory to the Gateless deals 3 damage to its controller.
Death to the Deathless!

Next: Another gate-based card.

ben-zayb
2016-01-28, 07:39 PM
It's by-the-book land destruction template with a bonus rider. Probably closest to Molten Rain, but not quite.

Border Sentry 3
Enchantment (R)
Border Sentry's mana cost can only be paid with colored mana.
Landfall-Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, the next spell you cast this turn costs one less mana to pay of a color that land could produce. If that land is a gate, it applies to all spells you cast this turn instead.

Make an equipment for control

Ninjaman
2016-01-29, 03:21 PM
The only paid with colored mana part seems too irrelevant to waste space on. I think a cleaner and more functioning design (Your card doesn't for instance let an island make a spell that cost 1R cost R) would just be "Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, add one mana to your mana pool of any color that land could produce. If that land is a gate, add one mana of each color that land could produce instead."

Blade of Forgotten Legions - 6
Artifact - Equipment - R
Equipped creature gets +4/+4
At the beginning of your end step, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield.
Equip - 3
When one dies another will rise to take up the sword to slay all living.

Another expensive equipment

Jormengand
2016-01-29, 03:55 PM
Hmm. I think the fact that the equipment-ness of it feels kinda secondary is odd, but I don't really know if it's necessarily a bad thing.

Golemsong Unbound 6
Planeswalker Artifact - Golemsong Equipment MR
Indestructible, Protection from Creatures, Equip 0
+2: Put a +1/+1 counter on equipped creature.
-3: Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and your choice of Deathtouch, Haste, First Strike, Flying, Lifelink or Vigilance until end of turn.
-10: You get an emblem with "Creatures equipped with Golemsong Unbound get +10/+10 and have Trample and Indestructible."

Having a living sword is hard enough, having a planeswalker for a sword harder still. :smallbiggrin:

Next: Another planeswalker.

ben-zayb
2016-01-29, 08:16 PM
Indestructible and Protection from Creatures (which feels tacked on) pretty much stop the majority of ways to deal with Planeswalkers, leaving mono-greens with practically zero answer against it. The abilities are great together, but nothing truly synergistic and illustrative of the card's concept/theme aside from "makes your creature better". The concept of a legendary sword with an awakened spark is interesting, at the least because it will be the first of its kind. (AFAIK spark is only a latent thing in creatures, though, and it requires the creature to have some emo-heavy or eureka moment of sorts to trigger.)

Elesh, Grand Matriarch WWW(W/P)(W/P)(W/P)
Planeswalker - Elesh (MR)
((W/P) can be paid with W or 2 life.)
+1: Creatures with Infect have First Strike until end of turn.
-2: For each poison counter each opponent has, he or she sacrifices a permanent or loses 2 life.
-7: You get an emblem with "Whenever a player loses life, you may distribute half that much -1/-1 counters among any number of target creatures."

Make another card related to Phyrexia.

Blue Ghost
2016-01-29, 11:42 PM
A planeswalker that costs 3 white mana and 8 life. All right. Phyrexian mana is tricky to work with, but let's see how you did. The second and third abilities don't feel white at all. Phyrexian cards do tend to bend the color pie a bit, but this is just completely off from white's ability suite. It feels Phyrexian, but it doesn't really feel like Elesh Norn, if you know what I mean. Feels more like a generic black Phyrexian planeswalker.

Roxith, Thane of Rot 3BBB
Legendary Creature - Horror (M)
Whenever Roxith, Thane of Rot or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, distribute two -1/-1 counters among creatures on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there are twenty or more -1/-1 counters on the battlefield, you win the game.
6/6

Next: An angel.

ben-zayb
2016-01-30, 03:01 PM
Unlike most Johnny-type win cards, this is too unreliable. Unless you are intentionally shafting your own creature the win condition relies too much on your opponent keeping his creatures alive instead of chump blocking with them before they supposedly die. It also needs a minimum combined toughness of 21. Also, distributing -1/-1 counters isn't optional, so it does really look like you are supposed to shaft yourself at some point.

Warbound Heretic 4WR
Creature - Angel Rogue (MR)
Flying, Protection from colorless
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may pay its mana cost. If you do, ~ fights it.
6/6

Make a dual-type that isn't artifact creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-30, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering whether you really wanted this to be an ally or something, since it's clearly meant as an eldrazi-seeking missile... or maybe a token-seeking missile? I guess that's the most efficient use of the ability because of the weird way you're paying for it. I'd probably have just gone with 1R. Let's see, what else... Angel is a much a class as it is a race, and fighting is more of a warrior thing than a rogue thing. Rogues are more about sneaking through for face damage. Heretics and assassins are almost always black, but this feels more like a red/green card than anything. Maybe you can make it a goblin angel like Paloki (https://twitter.com/RoboRosewater/status/662361540226588672). :smalltongue:

Sunlit Shrine
Enchantment Land - Shrine C
(Sunlit Shrine isn't a spell. It's still a white enchantment.)
Sunlit Shrine is white.
T: Add W to your mana pool.

Challenge! A common that is best when played in multiples.

ben-zayb
2016-01-30, 10:46 PM
The second sentence of reminder text looks redundant, if we take Dryad Arbor as precedent. It's neat, but I don't really feel why this is or needs to be an enchantment.

Regna Legionnaire 1W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
~ gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control named ~.
1/1

Make some music, or zombies. Bonus for both, but only if it's not a Thriller cliche.

Ionbound
2016-01-30, 11:41 PM
Huh. Timberpack Wolf (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=249694), but in White? If you had posted this before Origins, I'd have been all about it, but right now it feels too much like a copy pasta of an existing card. Still decent design, though. 5/10

Ghoulsinger's Dirge-2BB

Instant-R

Sacrifice X creatures: Return up to X creatures from any graveyard to the battlefield under your control.

The sounds that call the dead can only be made by the dying.

Challenge: Create a corrupted angel.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-31, 03:39 AM
Wow, I haven't seen an instant that uses that kind of templating in... has it already been fifteen years now? Man, I feel old. These days, the act of sacrificing X creatures is usually written as either an additional cost to cast the spell or worked into the spell text as regular prose. In any case, I see no reason for it to not be a sorcery. It's a big enough effect to execute a combo in the deck that wants it, so opponents should at least have the benefit of at least waiting until your main phase before it goes off. Reanimation is a powerful effect in the first place, so I imagine it's also just plain under-costed out of the box... but, since it requires more than the usual amount of setup to work right, it might not have to cost too too much. It's a pretty nice plan overall. ...it still doesn't tell me much about what the heck a ghoulsinger is, though.

Forsaken Angel 4B
Creature - Angel C
Forsaken Angel has flying as long as you control another Angel creature.
Not even angels should put their faith to the test - when they do, it always falls short.
4/4

Challenge! Blue flyer! Uncommon! Go!

Atomburster
2016-01-31, 03:59 AM
Conditional flying seems a tad odd, for me, especially on a Black card. It also feels weak, especially as compared to Angel of Flight Alabaster, which has unconditional flying & an additional effect on top of that, for a similar cost (4W)

Time Wyvern 2UUU
Creature - Drake
Flying
UU: Exile ~ until the start of your next upkeep.
3/3

EDIT: Challenge - Blue, multicolored.

Fortuna
2016-01-31, 04:32 AM
I think this would be better at 3UU - there's no good reason for the triple colour weight. It's also, honestly, not that good. If it flickered until end of turn at least it would have a kind of pseudo-vigilance.

Temporal Sanctum 3WUU
Sorcery - MR
Take an extra turn after this one. Your opponents can't cast spells or activate abilities during that turn.
The Intercalarium was the ultimate fortress - a single day in every year where no hostile force could intrude.

Challenge: Make a card with the word 'infinite' or 'infinity' in its name.

ben-zayb
2016-01-31, 05:14 AM
The second ability is too powerful to only cost a W bump in cost: Grand Abolisher costs WW as a rare, and this is basically a turn's worth of Split Second, so I'd cost it as 2WWUU at least. If it's just a Silence effect, 3WUU would be more convincing although still arguably undercosted. More recent extra turn cards exile themselves too, to prevent abuse, and this very powerful card could use that additional limit.

Infinity Ward WWW
Enchantment R
Abilities can't be triggered or activated more than once per turn.
"No more endless wishes, Janni!" -Vizier Abhira

Make a card with an abstract-concept elemental. Or a card with a palindrome name. Bonus for both!

Atomburster
2016-01-31, 08:15 AM
The second ability is too powerful to only cost a W bump in cost: Grand Abolisher costs WW as a rare, and this is basically a turn's worth of Split Second, so I'd cost it as 2WWUU at least. If it's just a Silence effect, 3WUU would be more convincing although still arguably undercosted. More recent extra turn cards exile themselves too, to prevent abuse, and this very powerful card could use that additional limit.

Infinity Ward WWW
Enchantment R
Abilities can't be triggered or activated more than once per turn.
"No more endless wishes, Janni!" -Vizier Abhira

Make a card with an abstract-concept elemental. Or a card with a palindrome name. Bonus for both!
It's a specialized niche card with it's use, I imagine. Not much else I can say about that..

Belief Elemental GGRRWWUU
Creature - Elemental (Rare)
Flash, Uncounterable, Hexproof, Protection from Black
When ~ enters the battle field, shuffle your library. Then, discard any number of cards from your hand. For each card discarded in this manner, reveal a card from the top of your library and play it (at 0 mana cost).
7/7
"I believe."

Challenge: Another 4-coloured card.

Jormengand
2016-01-31, 10:32 AM
That's templated wrong.

Flash, Hexproof, Protection from Black
Belief elemental can't be countered.
When ~ enters the battlefield, shuffle your library. Then, discard any number of cards from your hand. For each card discarded in this way, reveal a card from the top of your library. For each card revealed in this way, you may play that card without paying its mana cost. Then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

The ability can't force you to play multiple lands, so it needs to be optional and do something with the rest of the cards.

Convergence WURG
Enchantment - R
Sacrifice a blue creature, a red creature and a green creature: Search your library for a white creature and put it onto the battlefield.

Next: Another enchantment in 3 or more colours.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-01-31, 04:14 PM
Is that... is that an optical physics pun? That's hilarious. It's probably not the most printable card in the world - no amount of refluffing can save the premise of mushing a saproling, a goblin, and a fish together and somehow getting a huge angel every time - but I'll still give it a thumbs-up on sheer fun value.

Progenitus' Mom 5
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (MR)
(Color Indicator: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green. Note that this permanent doesn't actually add to your devotion to any color, since its mana cost is still generic.)
Indestructible, Protection from everything
For each color, as long as your devotion to that color is less than one, this permanent isn't a creature.
T: Add two mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool.
10/10

Challenge! Hydra! Go!

Jormengand
2016-01-31, 04:52 PM
(Yes, yes it is.)

You had me at indestructible, Prot Everything mana rock for two of any colour. Being a 10/10 for 5 if you have all five colours out is just gravy by this point.

Multiplying Hydra XGGG
Creature - Hydra R
Multiplying Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever a +1/+1 counter is removed from Multiplying Hydra, put 2 +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

Next: Another creature from a myth or legend.

ben-zayb
2016-01-31, 07:38 PM
A 3X X/X with a gimmick that works for probably less than 5 cards (off-hand I can think of 1. Ghave, 2. that new simic guildmage, and 3. that one golgari that gives a -1/-1 counter)? It's definitely crazy powerful when used with those cards, but it's still so much of a niche.

Catoblepas BG
Creature - Beast U
Deathtouch, Menace, Rampage 1
1/2

EDIT: Make something royal or noble.

r2d2go
2016-02-01, 12:46 AM
A 3X X/X with a gimmick that works for probably less than 5 cards (off-hand I can think of 1. Ghave, 2. that new simic guildmage, and 3. that one golgari that gives a -1/-1 counter)? It's definitely crazy powerful when used with those cards, but it's still so much of a niche.

Catoblepas BG
Creature - Beast U
Deathtouch, Menace, Rampage 1
1/2

EDIT: Make something royal or noble.

Seems pretty strong. It's painful enough to block that it's almost unblockable, and also an annoying token-eater and trade-upper on the defense. I feel like it's in a weird place at 1/2 - Either 1/1 or 1/3 for 1BG seems better to me. I definitely like it, though, and the flavor is good.

Royal Jelly 1G
Creature - Slime U
Deathtouch
T, Sacrifice ~: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Something here will end up delicious and nutritious.
1/1

Challenge: Something else squishy, or something else that sacrifices. Bonus points for both.

ben-zayb
2016-02-01, 05:44 AM
It's cool. The abilities are asynergistic (kill or pump, but not both), but that seems to be the intent.

Goblin Loosecannon 1R
Creature - Goblin (C)
Whenever ~ blocks or becomes blocked, you may sacrifice it. If you do, it deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.
1/1

Make another Goblin, something that cares about enchantments, or both.

bekeleven
2016-02-04, 12:08 AM
Reminds me of existing goblin cards, sort of a cross between Goblin Swine-Rider (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3688) and War-Torch (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=87971) or Ib (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=393968). Compared to those it feels almost too controllable, but power level is fine.

Goblin Antiquer RR
Creature - Goblin R
When ~ attacks, you may discard up to two cards.
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, draw cards equal to the number of cards you discarded this turn.
"Give me one day. And six vats of glue."
2/2

Next: Something like Claustrophobia (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=398607), Frozen Solid (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=43500), Containment Membrane (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=407562), etc. but with an interesting twist.

r2d2go
2016-02-04, 02:25 AM
Pretty sweet. Seems like a weird thing to build around, but could be neat in a Madness deck. Hopefully not in a set with Madness or the like for that reason - it's not a crazy thing in Modern, but in standard with much combo it could be insane.

Goblin Dogpile (U/R)
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature would untap, unless its controller pays 1 and puts a 1/1 goblin onto the battlefield under your control, it doesn't.

Challenge: Another card that's conditional "removal". The harder it is to make it work, the better, as long as it makes sense as a card.

Atomburster
2016-02-04, 03:50 AM
Pretty sweet. Seems like a weird thing to build around, but could be neat in a Madness deck. Hopefully not in a set with Madness or the like for that reason - it's not a crazy thing in Modern, but in standard with much combo it could be insane.

Goblin Dogpile (U/R)
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Whenever enchanted creature would untap, unless its controller pays 1 and puts a 1/1 goblin onto the battlefield under your control, it doesn't.

Challenge: Another card that's conditional "removal". The harder it is to make it work, the better, as long as it makes sense as a card.

That's.. almost like a better version of dehydration. I honestly think it should cost at least (1) more, given it's effects. 1 mana for either permanent tapping of a creature or 1 mana and a 1/1 goblin is too good.

Aura Twist 1(U/R)
Instant (Uncommon)
Target creature takes 1 point of damage for each attached Aura.
Draw a card.

Challenge: A card costing 1 mana or less.

Ninjaman
2016-02-04, 04:23 AM
This will probably never be worth it, especially since a lot of auras boost toughness by more than one. At least it cantrips I guess.

Traitorous Strike - B
Instant - C
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn if it's controller controls another creature.

Another black instant.

braveheart
2016-02-04, 05:01 AM
It's simple and does its job, it's printable and their's not my much else to say

Vampiric Snack 2B
Imstant - U
As an additional cost to cast ~ sacrafice a creature.
Taeget creature you control gets +2/+1 and gains lifelink until end of turn.
Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
those who are eaten by the undead, often join their ranks

Something that mitigates it's own drawback

ben-zayb
2016-02-04, 08:17 AM
It is basically two good effects (creature buff and card recovery), but because of those, the story/flavor doesn't seem well represented by the card IMO. I'd probably make it cost 2 black mana at least.

Nova Solar 2WR
Creature - Angel (R)
Vanishing 3
Flying, Haste
~ gets -2/-2 for each time counter on it.
9/9

Make something with snow, white, seven, or dwarf in it. Bonus points for cleverly incorporating more than one of those.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-04, 09:06 AM
Sometimes, a 9/9 flying haste is a 9/9 flying haste; the angel is just too huge for how early she pops out. Vanishing is a weird mechanic here. It looks like your design goal was to make her win the game on her own by the time she leaves, which sets off an alarm already. In pretty much any Boros deck, though, the second you play this lady, you are already declaring that your opponent will die by the end of that turn unless they're holding some trick up their sleeve. Turn 4 is usually a bit early for that. Boros already has a fine lightning elemental named Spark Trooper that demonstrates how one might do the red nova creature without making the game feel too much like Rocket Tag.

Frostbeard Platoon 6W
Snow Creature - Dwarf C
Vigilance
7/7

Challenge! ...aladdin? Something in the flavor of a petty thief or something else Aladdin-related.

Atomburster
2016-02-04, 10:27 AM
That's.. elegantly costed. Couldn't find much of a flaw in the design.

(Though, I believe the Aladdin is represented with Fortune's Thief and Ali...)

Thief of Lamps 1R
Creature - Human Rogue (C)
1UU - Take control of target noncreature artifact.
1/1

Challenge: Blue-Red. Go!

ben-zayb
2016-02-04, 11:28 AM
It's too powerful without any limiting factor aside from mana. Putting an additional card disadvantage cost, such as discard/exile/sacrifice could work, but simply adding a tapping mechanics or one-at-a-time limit would work if it is temporary control like those with End of Turn or "As long as X" conditions. As is, this feels like a rare at least.

@Dr.Gunsforhands: I think you misread the card by a lot. (Barring Johnny tricks, it can't even attack as a 9/9)

Mind Schism 2UR
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player untaps this creature and gains control of it until end of turn."

Make anything with beauty, or beast... Or both, as long as it isn't something similar to Shrek.

r2d2go
2016-02-04, 11:57 AM
It's too powerful without any limiting factor aside from mana. Putting an additional card disadvantage cost, such as discard/exile/sacrifice could work, but simply adding a tapping mechanics or one-at-a-time limit would work if it is temporary control like those with End of Turn or "As long as X" conditions. As is, this feels like a rare at least.

@Dr.Gunsforhands: I think you misread the card by a lot. (Barring Johnny tricks, it can't even attack as a 9/9)

Mind Schism 2UR
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player untaps this creature and gains control of it until end of turn."

Make anything with beauty, or beast... Or both, as long as it isn't something similar to Shrek.

@[email protected]: He probably forgot that you remove, not add counters for Vanishing. To be fair, there's multiple similar/related mechanics and there was no reminder text.

As for the card, it's pretty bad, but awesome in multiplayer (edh maybe?). I'd much rather just mind control in 1v1, but it's interesting. Maybe use (U/R)?

Carver Girl 2R
Creature - Human Werewolf U
At the beginning of each upkeep, discard a card. If your hand is empty and no spell was cast last turn, transform ~. Otherwise, draw a card.
Artist by day...
1/1

Girl Carver
Creature - Werewolf U
First Strike, Menace
At the beginning of each turn, if two or more spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
Artist by night.
5/2

While the second form is strong, the idea is it's hard to dump your hand early so it shouldn't hit for awhile. Until then it's just a looter.

Challenge: More flipping.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-05, 01:39 AM
Re: the angel: Whoops, yeah... for some reason I remembered it counting up instead of counting down. So, it's actually supposed to be a 3/3, then a 5/5, then a 7/7, meaning it will still kill your opponent in three turns, it just needs a little help to finish the job. :smalltongue: It is a lot less egregious this way, but I'd probably have recommended setting its base stats as 3/3 and using +1/+1 counters to represent powering up.

Carver Girl is a bit tiny, though buzzing through your deck like that could be worth it if you can take advantage somehow. A 5/2 first strike menace is a nice payoff for the hellbent deck, too. I just can't help but think that if we weren't married to the 0 spell/2 spell werewolf triggers, you could have come up with a more elegant version of this. Also, I can't really see how it's connected to wood sculpture or anything, but you probably had something in mind.

The Handle 2
Artifact - C
R, Sacrifice The Handle: Target creature gets +3/+0 and gains Flying and Haste until end of turn.

Hill Bears 1G
Creature - Bear C
Megamorph G (You may cast this face-down as a 2/2 creature for 3. You can turn it face-up at any time for its Megamorph cost, at which point you put a +1/+1 counter on it.)
2/2

Lucille Flamewarden GG
Legendary Creature - Elf Shaman (commander promo thing)
Elves you control have, "T: add R to your mana pool."
When this creature enters the battlefield, if R was spent to cast it, transform it.
1/2
//
Firestorm Lucy
Legendary Creature - Elemental Elf Shaman
(This creature is red and green)
Haste
Whenever this creature attacks, add RR to your mana pool for each time you've cast your commander from the command zone this game. Until end of turn, this mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as steps and phases end.
4/4

She's roughly based on my D&D character, so I could probably write a big flavor article if the Vorthoses in the market really need it. I considered including forests as well as elves for the first ability, but went with this version to make the Elf-ball commander theme more obvious.

Alternate last ability: "add RR to your mana pool for each Elf you control." I'm still on the fence about referencing commander mechanics directly, even though the front side practically mandates them.

Challenge! Another commandery creature with a monocolor casting cost and an off-color ability.

Ionbound
2016-02-05, 07:48 PM
Eliza, Markov Scion-2BB

Legendary Creature-Vampire Noble-MR

Flying

Other Vampire creatures you control gain +1/+1 and have flying.

1(B/R)(B/W): Target creature becomes a vampire in addition to it's other types. You gain control of it for as long as you control ~.

Challenge: Create another card for Vampire Tribal (Either EDH or Contstructed)

Jormengand
2016-02-07, 07:05 AM
Lucille: Probably a bit too much. With Lys Alana Huntmaster and other ways of shoving a bunch of elves about, you can quickly start throwing eldrazi around, which as an added bonus is really out of flavour for elves.

Eliza: P/T? I mean, assuming it's not too massive, it's probably fine.

Vampiric Feast 3BBB
Enchantment R
T: Target player loses 1 life for each vampire you control and you gain that much life.
They are always hungry, but don't mistake that for a weakness.

Next: A colourless enchantment that doesn't cheat by having devoid.

ben-zayb
2016-02-07, 11:08 AM
So a non-attacking, repeatable Malakir Bloodwitch effect? Yeah, sure, this could probably work on midrange vamp decks, but I would've preferred a but less CMC and a bit more activation cost.

Negative Space XXX
Enchantment (R)
Only colorless mana can be spent to cast ~.
Spells cost X additional colorless mana to cast.

Make a non-green ramp, a green or red control, or both (ie. red ramp/control)

braveheart
2016-02-07, 12:49 PM
Good thought, but there are a few issues with the execution, first, it should have "put X charge counters on ~" to deal with the memory issues, and it also should probably only effect colored spell's, since this is clearly intended for a colorless deck

Triumphant Discoverer 2W
If target player has more lands than you, reveal cards off the top of your deck until you reveal a land card, put it into play tapped and put the rest of the revealed cards on the bottom of your library in any order.
2/2

Make an insect or arachnid

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-07, 03:10 PM
The effect is probably fine. It only really puts you ahead of the curve if you're willing to cast it before playing your land for the turn, and I seem to recall white having similar pseudo-ramp effects before. I'm assuming that it's an Enters-The-Battlefield effect on a common or uncommon human scout, all of which you seem to have forgotten to include in the card design itself.

Really Ugly Bug (r/b)
Creature - Insect C
Menace
1/1

Challenge! An aura with an activated ability that costs the same as its casting cost.

ben-zayb
2016-02-07, 06:27 PM
That's flavorful and elegant! It does a good job of being an annoying pest to block.

Pact of Unrest 3UBB
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature card in a graveyard
You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step.
3UBB,T: Target creature becomes a copy of enchanted creature card for as long as ~ remains tapped.

Make a snake. Snake without boobs, preferably.

braveheart
2016-02-07, 07:02 PM
Enchantments should not have tap effects. Other than that's I like having an aura that enchants something in the graveyard.

Snake of Masculinity 1G
(A nomal snake flexing a 6 pack abs and massive pectoral)
1G{untap}: ~ gains +2/+2 until end of turn
2/2

An instant with CMC 2, or something that causes multiple permanents to exchange controler

r2d2go
2016-02-07, 11:49 PM
Enchantments should not have tap effects. Other than that's I like having an aura that enchants something in the graveyard.

Snake of Masculinity 1G
(A nomal snake flexing a 6 pack abs and massive pectoral)
1G{untap}: ~ gains +2/+2 until end of turn
2/2

An instant with CMC 2, or something that causes multiple permanents to exchange controler

Seems pretty good, though you're missing a line. I assume it's a "Creature - Snake U", in which case it's probably appropriately costed, though perhaps GG would be better (it's pretty sick in limited, and that would slow it down a bit).

Home Exchange 1R
Instant - U
Exchange control of target land you control and target land you don't control.
Draw a card.

(I debated putting "That land's controller may choose to end this effect at the end of turn", but the templating is weird. In the end I decided I'm okay with messing with karoo/enchanted lands over manlands/lands that sac.)

Challenge: Another card that is unlikely to do much to commons, but can be very strong against non-commons. Alternatively, another card that does something until end of turn. Many bonus points for both if it doesn't mention rarity :smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2016-02-08, 12:44 AM
Well, that's more or less Political Trickery (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3352), except it's , cheaper, not rare, instant-speed, and off-color (red mostly controls creatures, and only temporarily). I'd probably turn it blue to fit the non-loot draw, or nix the draw and keep it red.

Up the Ante BB
Instant - U
As an additional cost to cast ~, pay X life.
Until end of turn, whenever an ability from a non-land source you don't control activates or triggers, its source's controller sacrifices a permanent or loses X life.

Make a non-blue, non-black curse.

r2d2go
2016-02-08, 02:05 AM
Seems very interesting, and it's pretty sick against a lot of things. I play a blood artist deck sometimes, and I can just imagine playing Killing Wave for hypothetical lethal and then just slumping when this kills me instead as I run out of permanents to sac. The wording is a bit awkward, and it's pretty extreme sideboard, but it's a darn good shot at both challenges, so nice job :smalltongue:

@critique. Dang, good point. I probably could have found Political Trickery with a little more search-fu - I'd edit my card to temporary and make it U/R with that knowledge, probably.

Conformity 1W
Enchantment - Aura Curse U
Enchant Player
Will of the Council - Whenever enchanted player casts a spell, starting with you, each player votes for Obedience or Resistance. If Obedience gets more votes, that player gains 4 life. Otherwise, exile that spell and Conformity.

Challenge: Another card that's made for multiplayer. Or, a nonland card that doesn't need the stack to be useful.

Edit: ...or, a white card?

ben-zayb
2016-02-12, 09:23 AM
I dunno if I got the function right. It's pretty unreliable, unless you are in a winning team in commander. In FFAs, you are pretty much giving everyone 4 life everytime enchanted player casts something that is not threatening enough for all. The templatimg is also a bit off, such as Aura Curse (aura enchant permanents only, other than that one future sight card, and is a different subtype from curse, which enchants players)

Kozilek's Revelation CCCCCCC
Enchantment (R)
Each player's maximum hand size is equal to his or her devotion to colorless.
The name filled her mind, filled her emptiness, had finally made her complete.

(Not sure if I got the wording right. Did devotion get an update with the addition of C?)
Make a multicolored version of a legendary or a walker that is yet to have a multicolor version.

Ionbound
2016-02-12, 01:02 PM
I almost want to say that it's fairly priced for an enchantment that is practically guaranteed to increase your hand size and decrease your opponent's, but at the same time...It's a lot, except for maybe a mono-colorless deck, doubly so since we don't really have colorless duals. Still very interesting, just...A bit out there.

Tamiyo, Markov's Scion-2UB

Planeswalker-Tamiyo-MR

+1: Tap target creature. It becomes a vampire in addition to it's other types.
-2: Draw a card unless each opponent sacrifices a creature.
-8: You gain an emblem that says, "Whenever you draw a card, each opponent loses one life and you gain one life" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card."

Challenge! Create a Planeswalker version of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270445).

r2d2go
2016-02-13, 12:49 AM
I almost want to say that it's fairly priced for an enchantment that is practically guaranteed to increase your hand size and decrease your opponent's, but at the same time...It's a lot, except for maybe a mono-colorless deck, doubly so since we don't really have colorless duals. Still very interesting, just...A bit out there.

Tamiyo, Markov's Scion-2UB

Planeswalker-Tamiyo-MR

+1: Tap target creature. It becomes a vampire in addition to it's other types.
-2: Draw a card unless each opponent sacrifices a creature.
-8: You gain an emblem that says, "Whenever you draw a card, each opponent loses one life and you gain one life" and "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card."

Challenge! Create a Planeswalker version of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=270445).

Seems reasonable, though the vampire part doesn't do much. It'd be more interesting if the ultimate ability interacted with vampires (e.g. "For each vampire on the battlefield, target opponent loses one life and discards a card, and you gain one life and draw a card", though that might be too powerful). The only other complaint I have is it might be a little confusing how the 2nd ability works in multiplayer - it'd be interesting as "for each opponent, unless they sacrifice a creature, draw a card", but again, maybe too powerful. Otherwise, solid color/themeshift.

Thalia, Lightbrand of Innistrad 2WW
Legendary Creature - Planeswalker MR
+1 - Humans you control gain Vigilance until end of turn.
+0 - Target creature gets +X/+X and First Strike until end of turn, where X is the number of loyalty counters on ~. Whenever that creature would take damage this turn, instead remove that many loyalty counters from ~.
-8 - You get an emblem that says "At the beginning of each upkeep, humans you control get your choice of +8/+8, double strike, flying or lifelink until end of turn."

Challenge: Another card that hurts itself. Or, another modal card that offers a generally weak, but situationally necessary effect.

Ninjaman
2016-02-13, 03:57 AM
This seems incredibly weak, you could have made it cost 3 and I would still still think it was weak. The +1 is a small effect in addition to being extremely niche, even giving all creatures vigilance it would be completely fair. The second sentence of the 0 seems a bit weird, I can see it being relevant when multi blocking, but the ability would still not by very impressive without it (look at Elspeth, Knight Errant) and it feels too much like you wanted to try something rather than something that does something for the card. The Ulti is really weird too, and the choice of keywords seem silly compared to +8/+8, I would much rather it just gave +2/+2 and all the keywords as a better Elspeth, Sun's Champion emblem that only works on humans.
Also I don't like the human tribal she is doing, it seems forced and compared to the Elspeths she would be fine without that restriction.

Ember Mage - 2R
Creature - Human Wizard - U
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, Ember Mage deals 1 damage to each creature.
1/2

Another uncommon wizard

1pwny
2016-02-13, 08:55 PM
Hm. It's not much besides a goblin killer, because by nature of its toughness it only can stand two of its own blasts. I probably wouldn't draft it, or use it in most cases. Then again, that was basically the entire challenge, so good job on that. :smalltongue:

Ordinary Wizard 3
Creature - Human Wizard {U}
W, T: Target creature gains Vigilance until end of turn.
U, T: Scry 1.
B, T: Target creature gets -0/-2 until end of turn.
R, T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
G, T: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Make another card that goes in a bunch of decks.

Atomburster
2016-02-13, 10:01 PM
An interesting card.. But you forgot to include it's attack and toughness, noting that it's a creature. :smalltongue:

Ancient Forge 5
Artifact (U)
T - Place a +1/+1 counter on an artifact creature.
2(R/G), T - Destroy target artifact.
1U, T - Draw a card, then discard a card.
1BW, T - Place 3 1/1 Automaton Artifact Creature tokens onto the field.

Challenge: Multicolor, Noncreature. Go!

ben-zayb
2016-02-13, 11:34 PM
The abilities are all over the place, which fulfills the challenge, and they aren't that bad. Would've been awesome if they had more synergy with each other, or at least the 1st ability having some synergy to each of the color-costing ability. I'm not really getting a central theme or flavor from the card (unless it's about artifacts, and the 3rd ability doesn't work), though, and the templating could use some work.

Slash and Burn RG
Enchantment (U)
(R/G)(R/G)(R/G), Sacrifice a land: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Make a card that grants opponents mana acceleration.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-14, 03:06 AM
I'm not sure I understand this card. Mechanically, it's simple enough, but how is it supposed to benefit the person who plays it? I suppose it's primarily intended as a sort of open-ended combo piece, to be used with Landfall abilities, land-recursion effects, and graveyard-size-matters interactions throughout whichever set it's in. Other than that, people don't usually run cards just to thin their deck; you would rather draw a card that does something than draw a card that just slightly increases your chances of later drawing something that does something. I guess that you could theoretically use this to fix mana as well, but if that's the goal, it would probably be happier in mono-green.

Brain Birthing 1BB
Sorcery - R
Devoid
Target player discards 3 cards and puts 3 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens with, "sacrifice this creature: add C to your mana pool," onto the battlefield.

Challenge! Here's a throwback: make a creature that uses spore counters and saprolings.

r2d2go
2016-02-14, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure I understand this card. Mechanically, it's simple enough, but how is it supposed to benefit the person who plays it? I suppose it's primarily intended as a sort of open-ended combo piece, to be used with Landfall abilities, land-recursion effects, and graveyard-size-matters interactions throughout whichever set it's in. Other than that, people don't usually run cards just to thin their deck; you would rather draw a card that does something than draw a card that just slightly increases your chances of later drawing something that does something. I guess that you could theoretically use this to fix mana as well, but if that's the goal, it would probably be happier in mono-green.

Brain Birthing 1BB
Sorcery - R
Devoid
Target player discards 3 cards and puts 3 1/1 colorless Eldrazi Scion creature tokens with, "sacrifice this creature: add C to your mana pool," onto the battlefield.

Challenge! Here's a throwback: make a creature that uses spore counters and saprolings.

I like it a lot, though it feels a little weak. Maybe make it related to the discarded cards (e.g. "for each nonland card discarded, they put a 1/1...") - that would increase the power while making the victim feel like they have more power over the results.

Endless Sprouting 9GGG
Enchantment - MR
Convoke
Each nonland permanent you control has "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on this permanent".
Remove 3 spore counters from among permanents you control: Put a 1/1 green saproling token onto the battlefield under your control.

Edit: I felt the need to mention that this lets you immediately "cash in" all your tokens at instant speed, so it doesn't do nothing at first.

Challenge: Another card that has a 9, somewhere on the card, or another card that feeds itself.

ben-zayb
2016-02-14, 09:15 PM
It's very powerful, especially considering saprolings aren't lands unless you have that "Forests are saprolings and vice-versa" card. If that is the intent, then it really is Mythic. Massive cost is well justified so convoke makes me a little worried.

Void Digester 9CC
Creature - Eldrazi (R)
Ingest
Creatures you control have trample and get +2/+2 for each card in exile.
9/9

Make a card that has randomness yet is reliably useful.

braveheart
2016-02-14, 09:55 PM
At 11 mana you should be winning with it, and that one does such, pretty effectively

Copying Mold UUG
Creature - Fungus - R
Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature spell, ~ enters the battlefield as a copy of that creature, except it is a fungus in addition to its other types, then put the revealed cards on the bottom of your library in any order.
0/0

Create another clone creature

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-15, 12:07 AM
The templating doesn't work and needs to be phrased as a replacement effect of some sort for the ability to go off at the right time... or, maybe, you could have the creature-search trigger upon casting the thing. Either way, for the sake of my sanity, I'd probably exile the revealed creature card, just to have a visible copy to reference the mold's new abilities. As for power, this thing's pretty obviously a combo piece, better in the constructed deck that wants it than it could realistically be in limited. Since you can make a control deck that just runs this, a big win condition, and non-creature spells, it's a potentially format-defining effect and can easily stand to cost more. Interestingly, you can also copy Phage with this and not die, so that's entertaining.

Fiery Id 1R
Sorcery - C
Choose target creature an opponent controls. Put a token on the battlefield that's a copy of that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Challenge! Bird! Go!

r2d2go
2016-02-15, 01:19 AM
The templating doesn't work and needs to be phrased as a replacement effect of some sort for the ability to go off at the right time... or, maybe, you could have the creature-search trigger upon casting the thing. Either way, for the sake of my sanity, I'd probably exile the revealed creature card, just to have a visible copy to reference the mold's new abilities. As for power, this thing's pretty obviously a combo piece, better in the constructed deck that wants it than it could realistically be in limited. Since you can make a control deck that just runs this, a big win condition, and non-creature spells, it's a potentially format-defining effect and can easily stand to cost more. Interestingly, you can also copy Phage with this and not die, so that's entertaining.

Fiery Id 1R
Sorcery - C
Choose target creature an opponent controls. Put a token on the battlefield that's a copy of that creature. It gains haste until end of turn. Exile it at the beginning of the next end step.

Challenge! Bird! Go!

Compare to Twinflame (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=380523) - it's got less flexibility, but much less rarity. I'd put this at uncommon, but it'd be perfect there.

Steelwing 4(W/P)
Artifact Creature - Bird R
First Strike, Flying
Whenever ~ would deal damage, you may pay W. If you do, it may divide that damage among any number of target creatures or players.
Once noble watchers on Acheron, war machines after Compleation.
3/3

Challenge: Another creature based on another game.

Ninjaman
2016-02-15, 07:03 AM
It is worded wrong, I think it would be something like "Deal that much damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures or players.". On another note, I think this goes infinite with furnace of rath effects, since you can use it's ability on it's ability.

Ludo Piece - 3
Artifact Creature - Construct - U
When Ludo Piece dies, return it to your hand.
2/2

Another something from some type of board game.

V (You're right about infinite, but it could still do 8 times damage for WWW )

Jormengand
2016-02-15, 07:43 AM
Hmm... it's almost a deathtrip on a 2/2 for 3, which is a bit strong, but then it can only draw itself, rather than anything else, so it's probably okay.

(Also, the above ability wouldn't go infinite unless you can pull infinite W out of your hat.)

Overwatch Attack 2R
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature or planeswalker deals damage to enchanted creature, enchanted creature deals damage equal to its power to that permanent. Whenever a noncreature nonplaneswalker source deals damage to enchanted creature, enchanted creature deals damage equal to its power to that source's controller.

Next: Another type of counterattack.

Atomburster
2016-02-15, 07:51 AM
It is worded wrong, I think it would be something like "Deal that much damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures or players.". On another note, I think this goes infinite with furnace of rath effects, since you can use it's ability on it's ability.

Ludo Piece - 3
When Ludo Piece dies, return it to your hand.
2/2

Another something from some type of board game.

So it has a sort of pseudo-regeneration? Seems reasonable.

Settler - 2
Creature - Human - U
1, T - Search your library for a basic land and put it onto the the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle ~ into your library.
0/1

Catan is full of wonders, just waiting for someone to claim it's riches.

Wizard OR a card with 3+ colors.

ben-zayb
2016-02-15, 08:52 AM
It's pretty undercosted for what it does. It's even a way better double strike vs creatures. It could use some templating fix, like adding the proper subtype and Enchant creature keyword.

Alert the Armory XXW
Instant (R)
For each creature attacking you, search your library for an equipment card with converted mana cost X or less, and put it onto the battlefield attached to a creature you control. Then shuffle your library.

Make a military themed card, or something with beasts. Bonus points for both.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2016-02-15, 09:32 AM
That card is super-weird, to the point where I'm not sure how to evaluate it. Really, getting the most powerful equipment out of this is expensive even if you get 4 copies, plus it's complicated, difficult to set up, and probably not worth it against opponents who only attack with one creature at a time. There are circumstances where this would be great fun, though. I can see it as a nice casual or commander card, and for my purposes that's the best kind of card to be.

Sentry Boar 1WR
Creature - Beast C
Haste, Vigilance
Trained both as an alarm and as a first-responder.
3/2

Alternate flavor text: "SQUEEE! SQUEEE! SQUEEE!"

Challenge! Something... squeaky.

Ninjaman
2016-02-15, 10:37 AM
It definitely shouldn't be a common :smalleek:. That said I like it, and it could be a very cool uncommon.

Boarback Knight - GR
Creature - Goblin Knight - C
Haste
2/2

Make another hasty common.

braveheart
2016-02-15, 10:45 AM
Simple and neat, not much review to be had on that one, it's right on par power wise, though a little strong at common, it'd be weak as an uncommon

Flame Thrower 3R
Creature- Human Wizard - C
Haste
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a 2/1 elemental creature with haste onto the battlefield
3/2

Another creature that comes with a budy (token)

Atomburster
2016-02-15, 11:11 AM
That's really mana-efficient, getting 5/3 worth of stats with haste for 4 mana (When considering it isn't a green card..). Compare to Crypt Ripper, for example.

Druid of the Wings 3UG
Creature - Human Druid (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, put 3 1/1 blue Bird creature tokens with flying into play.
1/3

Challenge: Wizard OR multicard with 3+ colors.

ben-zayb
2016-02-15, 07:19 PM
Three 1/1 flyers and another 1/3 for 3UG is really good, and it reminds me of Spectral Possession. I can see this being printed as a rare, but uncommon looks fine too.

Temporal Rewinder 2WUB
Creature - Vedalken Wizard (R)
(W/U)(U/B)[W/B),T: Exile target nonland permanent. Its controller draws an amount of cards equal to its converted mana cost, and then discards an equal amount of cards.
2/4

Make either a weenie, a mutant, a ninja, or a turtle.

1pwny
2016-02-15, 09:14 PM
Seems strong. It works as mill and removal, and pretty strong ones at that. Considering the fact that it lets you exile Emrakul, Ulamog and such in return for massive mill on your opponent, it seems a little to stronk. Even for a tri-colored rare.

Deadpool - 3BRR
Deadpool is flipping off whoever looks at him while sniffing a smoking gun.
Legendary Creature - Human Ninja Cancer {Ultra Mythic Rare}
That's right. I'm an Ultra Mythic rare. Also, once you play me, you're not getting rid of me. Trust me, they've tried everything. I've even broken out of alternate dimensions, so exile's a no-go. And I'll fight my way out of your deck or hand if you try to send me back.
By the way, I can see you thinking about countering me. Not gonna happen. Too bad, so sad. You might as well put on your brown pants.
4/1

Challenge: Another Marvel reference.

Blue Ghost
2016-02-15, 11:10 PM
I'm guessing this is supposed to be a novelty card, since there's no way this can be played, even in silver-bordered land. So conventional criticism doesn't apply. Wouldn't work anyway, since Deadpool is immune to critique.

I'll repost my current commander, although I've already submitted him.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Ultron_zpsixpeaevu.jpg

Or if you want something new:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a560/BlueGhostITP/Colorless/Vibranium%20Shield_zpsjv8hlhbc.png

Next: Something evil.

ben-zayb
2016-02-16, 08:59 PM
It's a step above Darksteel Plate, and I'm not sure if minimal nudge in the equip cost is enough to counterbalance adding Vigilance and the flexibility of adding Indestructible (granted it's until end of turn, but still).

Meatshield Knight BB
Creature - Human Knight (U)
B: If damage would be dealt to ~ this turn, that damage is dealt to you or target creature you control instead.
Ladies first.
2/2

Make another knight, or some sort of clown. Maybe both?

r2d2go
2016-02-16, 09:42 PM
Edit: Ninja'd, one sec

It seems pretty good - interesting to build around, but unlikely to be too insane. I might make it a little stronger and rare, since it's bound to cause confusion in limited, but it's probably fine.

Noble Jester WW
Creature - Human R
T - Untap target creature in combat, or tap target creature out of combat.
At the end of each turn, if you control 3 more untapped creatures than any opponent, transform ~.
1/1

Unlikely Knight
Creature - Human Knight R
Vigilance, First Strike
Whenever ~ deals damage to a creature, tap it and remove it from combat.
At the end of each turn, if you control 3 more untapped creatures than any opponent, transform ~.
2/2

Challenge: Another transform card.

1pwny
2016-02-17, 05:23 PM
So, does Unlikely Knight tap itself, or the other creatures? Besides that, an interesting card. I would probably prefer another white rare (e.g. Grand Abolisher) in a draft, but I can see it being used in white control.

Nondescript Car 4
Artifact - Equipment {R}
Equipped Creature gets +2/+2 and gains Trample.
1 - Unequip ~, then transform it.
Equip 2

--------

Transformer
Artifact Creature - Robot {R}
Trample
1 - Transform ~. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
4/4

Eh? Eh?

Challenge: Make another transformer.

ben-zayb
2016-02-17, 06:28 PM
I like it. It's strong and simple enough for what it does, and you're really milking that 4 CMC for what it's worth. I know we did the "mecha" subtype before, so it'd probably better to stick to either that or the standard "construct" subtype.

Leyline Transformer 5
Artifact (R)
Sunburst
1, remove a charge counter on ~: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
2: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Make a card related to the five-man band (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand), or a card that has something to do with the five colors of mana (like Sunburst).

r2d2go
2016-02-18, 12:24 AM
Seems pretty bad. I mean, by the time you can use this, you're getting at most two colors of fixing (if you had 2 colors, you only get 2, if you have 3, there's only 2 left). This seems more like a 3 mana card to me.

Plane-Pact Band 5
Artifact - R
Sunburst
~ enters the battlefield tapped and untaps during each player's untap step.
T, Remove a charge counter from ~: Exile target creature. Any player may activate this ability.
If there are no charge counters left on ~, and a creature of each color has been exiled by ~, each player who owns a creature exiled with ~ wins the game.

That seems really complicated. I'll try to make something less complicated.

Nova Colossus 10
Artifact Creature - Construct U
Sunburst
When ~ enters the battlefield, for each color of mana spent on it, you may search your library for an aura of that color with CMC less than 3 and attach it to ~. Then, shuffle your library.
0/0

I'm not very good at this >.<

Challenge: Something not complicated. Or, something you find interesting. Bonus points for both :smallbiggrin:

braveheart
2016-02-18, 01:34 AM
The way magic defines "win the game" mechanically actually causes each other player to lose the game, so, with the first model the card loses everyone the game, unless only one player has any creatures in exile, (which is very unlikely to happen given how priority works) also I'd make that a mythic

The second one is interesting, and potentially terrifying in the right situation, but unless you built your deck to accomodate that creature it won't be anywhere near worth it.

Mimic 3
(2): Mimic is no longer a creature until end of turn.
These devious creatures disguise themselves as all manner of household objects when it suits their needs
3/3

Make something that has a color identity with 4 colors

Also I believe it's about time to make a new thread

Atomburster
2016-02-18, 07:00 AM
Green normally has all the mana-efficient creatures. Centuar Courser, for example is a straight 3/3 for 3 mana. This.. is a 3 mana artifact creature with a special ability. I'm thinking you might want to up the cost on it, or reduce it's stats.

Possibility Elemental UURRBBGG
Creature - Elemental (R)
Shroud, Trample, Haste, First strike, Intimidate
Possibility Elemental can't be countered.
If ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, reveal ~ and shuffle it into your deck instead.
When ~ enters the battlefield, your opponent separates the cards his hand into two separate piles (face up). Choose one pile. You may play those cards without paying their mana cards. Put the remainder of the cards in your opponent's hand.
7/7

All that could be.

Challenge: Blue-Green Planeswalker OR Colourless noncreature with CMC 7+.

braveheart
2016-02-18, 03:35 PM
Hey look, another massive wincon, shroud is an outdated mechanic and had been fully replaced with Hexproof, but otherwise it works, the intimidate on it is nearly useless, only working against mono white creatures. The card is unclear about where the selected stack from your opponents hand goes, it should probably be exile though.

Massive Sliver (7)
Creature - Sliver - U
The greatest of their ranks are often larger and smarter than the rest, this one is not smarter
6/6

Make something with 2 activated abilities, bonus points if they interact with each other

Also it's about time for a new thread

1pwny
2016-02-18, 11:02 PM
Let's be honest. It's pretty crappy. But hey, Slivers need some balancing, so why not?

Volatile Explosiomancer 3R
Creature - Human Wizard {U}
R, T: Deal 1 damage to each player.
R, Ut: Deal 1 damage to each creature. (Ut stands for Untap)
0/3

Challenge: Something that represents newness... change... a chance for renewal... like a new thread, but in a card, because we've gotten to 50 pages so yeah.

Ninjaman
2016-02-19, 02:36 AM
It's cool design, Q is the untap symbol though. At uncommon you could definitely make it 2R, possible 1R, but RR shouldn't be dangerous.

New Thread - 2WUB
Sorcery - R
Search your library for a card with "thread" in it's name and exile it. Until end of turn you may cast it without paying it's mana cost. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?478976-MtG-YMTC-challenge-IV-Don-t-make-functional-reprints&p=20441955#post20441955)