PDA

View Full Version : MtG: YMTC challenge III: Johnny, Timmy or Spike?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

r2d2go
2015-04-19, 05:51 PM
Well, we hit 51 pages, so...

Rather than having a weekly contest with many entries and judging and a winner being declared who makes the next contest, instead everyone is a contestant, a judge, and the creator of the next contest all at once!

Each post should contain a short critique of the card made by the poster before them, a card that meets the challenge posted by the poster before them, and a new challenge for the next poster to take on.

Other contests:
You Make the Card (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452801-MtG-You-Make-the-Card-IV-Threadwalkers)
You Make the Mini-Set! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284678)

There is no time limit on when a challenge can be met, and no restriction on how often you can post other than that you can't fulfill your own challenges. If two people respond to the same challenge, the next poster simply picks which of those to judge and meet the challenge of, though if you're up to it you could also try fulfilling both challenges at the same time, assuming that's possible.

As with the other challenges, cards should be submitted in text format, like so:

Card Name Mana Cost
Type - Subtype Rarity
Card Text
Flavor Text
Power/Toughness

For example:

Giant Spider 3G
Creature - Spider C
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
"It has a quickness about it that seems unnatural for its large size, yet its hunger is about right."
—Endril, Kalonian naturalist
2/4

Who are You and What did You do to Magic?
http://media.wizards.com/legacy/global/images/ps_feature386_1.jpg

We're here to have fun, and having fun includes randomly making new subtypes and/or colours. The reason that this is here is that people keep on asking what they are and how they're supposed to work with them. Idols were designed originally by Fifth Column Games in their game War of Omens, and Purple was due to show up in Planar Chaos but never did. I grabbed both of these into Magic as it currently stands, and some people picked up on them.

This FAQ is to explain what exactly happens when someone's talking about "Purple" or something has the "Idol" subtype without you having a clue what that means.

Idols are probably something that Wizards can do - the idea is similar to Shrines, which happened - but purple is right up there with half-values on the Storm scale, and only half a point down from the eponymous defunct keyword. Challenges which require idols should be fine, but challenges shouldn't require purple, or at least should offer a let-out if you don't like it.

Idols and purple have their own sets and backstory which feature in some of the explanations below.

What's an Idol?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/121/4/2/styx_idol_by_aisu_isme-d63q4oo.jpg
Styx Idol by Aisu Isme

An idol is one of many shrines, icons or holy objects (including weapons and animated constructs) that fell from the Otherworld due to the actions of Speaker Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan. They are all spiritually interlinked, and a prayer to one would call out to all nearby.

Mechanically, an idol has the following characteristics (These are the defining characteristics, these are more mutable):

It is an ARTIFACT with the IDOL subtype.
It is COLOURLESS but uses COLORED mana for its ACTIVATED ABILTITY.
It has "CCT: Energise each idol you control," where C are coloured mana. They may both be the same colours or different colours; they might be purple.
It has "When you energise ~, do something."
It might be a creature, equipment or fortification.

For example:

Idol of Life 1
Artifact - Idol C
WWT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise idol of life, you gain 2 life.

What About purple?

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/016/9/d/purple_by_edux567-d37ddmh.png
Purple by Edux

There was, originally, going to be a set with purple in it, which represented a sort of otherworldly, unnatural force. This never actually ended up happening, but the idea stuck with me. The basic land for purple was either going to be cave or city; I chose city, as it fit with Purple's unnatural, and yet all too close to home, theme.

Purple is the third colour of mana, after blue but before black - the new order is WUPBRG. The basic land for purple is City. Cities are basic lands but city isn't a basic land type; purple is a colour but purple isn't one of The Colours Of Magic. This means the following (Coalition Victory and Transguild Courier are the more interesting ones, the others act the same way they would with white)

All is Dust: Destroys purple permanents.
Alloy Golem: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response and the golem can become purple.
Brave the Elements: When you're asked for a colour, "Purple" is a valid response. "Protection from purple" is a valid ability.
Coalition Victory: Checks to see if you control a plains, an island, a swamp, a mountain, a forest, a white creature, a blue creature, a black creature, a red creature and a green creature. It doesn't care whether or not you have a city or a purple creature. If you have a red and purple creature, Coalition Victory sees a red creature. If you have a swamp city, it registers as a swamp.
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn: Has protection from purple permanents.
Transguild Courier: Isn't purple. It would need to say "All colours, and purple." I know that doesn't sound as though it makes sense, but it does.

What is Purple as a Personality Type?

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/301/1/b/purple_rain_by_joe_maccer-d5j85do.jpg
Purple Rain by Joe Maccer

My colour is purple. I value individuality and thought, I value justice and personal benefit, I value natural and mechanical. I take what I see as the best aspects of the world out of their context, and live it to the full, but also stand by my own way of thinking with utter disregard for the opinions of others. At my best, I am innovative and a maverick. At my worst, I am debased and an outcast. Nominally, my ally colours are blue and black, and my enemy colours are green and, to a lesser extent white and red, but in reality, I could be anyone's ally and my own worst enemy.

I am purple and white. I value personal discipline and excellence. I am a natural-born leader, and work to defeat tyrannical rulers and follow my dreams, helping others whenever I can. At my best, I am charitable and inspiring. At my worst, I am proselytising and over-zealous.

I am purple and blue. I enjoy escaping to my own company and thinking about the things of this world. I am so much better at considering things I can't see than other people that sometimes people ask whether or not I am real. At my best, I am intellectual and honest. At my worst, I am pedantic and unrealistic.

I am purple and black. I am an individualist to the extreme, believing my way of doing things to be objectively correct. I get things done at an alarming rate, ignoring anyone who thinks they know better than me. At my best, I am efficient and self-sufficient. At my worst I am over-proud and egocentric.

I am purple and red. I am loud and boisterous, and prepared to go with any scheme even without support. I am usually maniacal about something, and love being free from what the rest of the world things. At my best I am independent and confident. At my worst I am destructive and hot-headed.

I am purple and green. I can lose myself in the wilds easily, and much prefer the company of the outdoors to the company of humans, though I'm not averse to taking very close friends along with me. At my best I am carefree and impassive, at my worst I am reserved and distant.

What does Purple do Mechanically? What About the Colour Combinations?

Purple does quite a lot of things, actually!

The Cards are Made Up and the Rules Don't Matter

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/082/2/f/keep_calm_and_screw_the_rules_by_slamtackle-d4tnmtu.png
Keep Calm and Screw the Rules by Slamtackle

"This card has flying!" "No it doesn't." "You can't bring cards back from exile!" "Oh yes I can!" "Wait, it's a sorcery and a planeswalker at the same time?" "Well, no, not the same time. It's a flip card." "EXILE TARGET LIBRARY?" "Teehee~"

There are lots of things that don't happen in magic. Things don't move about between permanent and non-permanent. Things don't eat up people's abilities like cotton candy. You don't exile entire libraries. But then, whoever heard of "Protection from everything" or a spell that repeats itself each upkeep but nigh-on bans you from playing the game? Well, Progenitus and Epic would like to say hi. Strange corners of Magic which could be visited but aren't suddenly see the light. Be inspired!

Examples:

Quijuk Acolyte 1WP
Creature - Human wizard R
1WPT, exile Quijuk Acolyte: Revivify target card. (Return a card in exile to your hand)
1/2

Quijuk Tranquil W/P
Creature - Human Monk C
Silenced (Quijuk Tranquil loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced).
People say they have no emotions. All we know is that they're the ones the Quijuk allow to leave, and they're the ones who've never wanted to return.
1/1

Card Wars: The Johnny Strikes Back

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/234/b/2/throw_your_cards_down_by_tempasta-d6j8bso.png
Throw Your Cards Down by Tempasta

"So then I play Crescendo, but because I cast another spell this turn, it does four damage instead of two but because I have a card with Flamestorm 1 that does another 1 damage, and it triggers Perpetual Motion so I draw a card, and then I cast Otherworld Lance, but I have a card with Accelerate so I only pay RP for it, and it does another point of damage, then I draw another card. I use Dust to Dust, draw another card with Perpetual Motion, and that exiles my graveyard, which means I use Otherworld Lance's Otherworlder cost to cast it again from exile, which does an extra point of damage from having Flamestorm, and Perpetual Motion draws another card. Okay, now it's your turn."

No-one does weenie instants or sorceries with much conviction, because they have to cantrip, and most of weenie effectiveness relies on synergy and anthems, which don't work as well with non-permanents. Solution: Have anthems which affect the spells that you cast, and have spells which synergise with other spell casts, in a sort of storm-esque way without bringing back Storm itself.

Examples:
Perpetual Motion 4UP
Enchantment - R
When you cast a spell, draw a card.

Waize Flameholder 2PR
Creature - Human Mage U
Flamestorm 1 (When a source you control would deal non-combat damage, it deals 1 more damage)
3/3

Crescendo 1PR
Sorcery U
Crescendo deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Second Wind - Crescendo deals 4 damage to that creature or player instead if you've cast another spell this turn.

Exile!

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/084/4/8/the_exile_by_lostknightkg-d4tvtal.jpg
The Exile by Lostknightkg

The exile zone is meant to be a kind of super-graveyard for cards that never come back. AWOL highlights what happened to that idea. Now, purple capitalises on the exile zone, chucking entire graveyards in and pulling them back onto the battlefield with reckless abandon.

Examples:

Otherworldly Power 4PP
Sorcery - R
Otherworldly power deals X damage divided as you wish between any number of creatures and players and you gain X life, where X is the number of cards in exile.
They may be in a better place, but they are no worse magi for that.

Void Dance 1P
Sorcery - U
Exile any number of target permanents you own.
What was ours once will be ours forever.

Seek and Destroy P
Sorcery - C
Draw a card.
Search your library for a card and exile it. Then shuffle your library.
To the Otherworld! Go!

Guild Abilities

Purgators P
Mechanics: Judgement (When a creature fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature dies, exile it), Otherworlder {Cost} (If this card is in exile, you may cast it for {Cost})

House Quijuk WP
Mechanics: Silenced (This permanent loses all abilities except silenced, and its equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced), Revivify (Return target card from exile to your hand)

House Kasstar UP
Mechanics: Warpstrike {cost} (When ~ becomes blocked you may pay {cost}. If you do, exile ~ and return it to the battlefield under your control, tapped and attacking.), Shift (Whenever ~ is targeted you may return it to your hand and put another creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

House Zelb PB
Mechanics: Isolation (Spells and abilities which effect "all" or "each" do not effect this card),
Outcast (Permanents with outcast cannot be exiled)

House Waize PR
Mechanics: Flamestorm X (When a spell you control would deal noncombat damage, it deals X more instead), Second Wind - If you've cast another spell this turn, do X.

House Gidai PG
Mechanics: Lock In (Target a card and remember what card it is); Paragon If X has the highest power among creatures you control, [effect].

Clan Trostan WPR
Mechanics: Standalone - If you control no (other) creatures, [effect]; Substitute - If there are no valid targets/you can't/no Xs are Yed in this way, [effect].

Veldan UPB
Mechanics: Conversion {Cost} (Cost, reveal ~ from your hand: Target spell you control becomes a copy of ~. If applicable, X is equal to the CMC of that spell); One Eye Open - When you draw a card, do X.

What's the Story Behind These Anyway?

Until recently, nobody had ever heard of Purple mana. How could a city, a congregation of humans who utterly destroy the land on which they live without reverence or care, be a source of mana? And yet, it was this very same left-fieldness, the selfsame strangeness, that led Trianna, a planeswalker from Veldan, to be able to draw mana from it. She realised that the power of mana on Veldan was being channeled through the creations of the people themselves.

However, Trianna's meddling did not go without consequence. Transplanar Rifts, which allowed anyone or anything to travel through, came between any plane that Trianna had visited and the planes where purple mana was more easily accessible. These rifts appeared first around the places of power, the idols, which were sucked through into the realms she had visited.

And so idols began to appear in Innistrad, Ravinica, Tarkir and Veldan. Preachers stood at the strange structures, praying for a miracle that would deliver them from their enemies. Guilds harnessed the idols' powers to wage war on another front. Clans guarded the idols as though they were sacred. And Trianna put her head in her hands and moaned.

It got worse. The purple guilds wanted their idols back. The Quijuk, responsible for ensuring morals more than law, tried to steal back their idols with minimal loss of life. The quiet and reserved Kasstar, known for their eminent dishonour, took similar tactics, while the psychotic sociopaths of house Zelb killed anyone who got in their way, where as the enraged and flagrant house Waize burned entire buildings to get what they wanted. The Gidai, masters of the hunt, assassinated anyone and everyone to return the idols of the gods. Ravinica was under assault and half of them didn't even know it.

More obvious were the Trostan clan, who ravaged across the wastes of Tarkir defying any and all to oppose them. Purgators, strange mockeries of what it means to be a free being, fought with angel and demon alike across Innistrad. And then, Trianna decided to move in, just to add to the confusion. Nobody was quite sure who was fighting whom, but Trianna was determined to stop them.

Are There Going to be Sets for These?
Yes.

I have no idea what I'm actually calling these, but they get development codenames because they do. Yes, I might actually write them all up because I'm that crazy.

Yellow: In which idols are introduced - artifact themed set. Details the story of the idols appearing; limited purple in the form of mono-purple as Purgators invade Innistrad.
Magenta: In which purple people invade Ravinica. Lots of use of guild abilities.
Cyan: Where Trostan and Veldan lay their scene. Involves three-colour purple, and lots of things cantrip or cause each other to cantrip. (Might keyword cantrip?)

The idea of the set is "Playing Magic in a different way" - Artifact decks and Everything is Cantrips allow you to take a break from creatures and makes card advantage odd, Trostan's change-the-mana-cost abilities radically change the game dynamic, and purple is... well, purple!

Note that you do not have to, and in fact should not, make challenges with Purple. If you do decide to (or challenge with any other non-official mechanic), it is a good idea to make another option. For example, you could say "Make a purple card, or make a card that interacts with exile".

And, to respond to the previous challenge:

Spawn Adds X
Instant- R
Choose a creature.
Place X creature tokens into the field that share it's color and type, with Power and Toughness equal to the chosen creature's Power and toughness minus 1
"Spawn more Adds!"

Challenge; Make a video game themed card

Even if you only have, say, a 2/2 on the board, X colorless for X 1/1s is pretty strong. Anything more than that, and this is probably overpowered. This needs a heavy nerf, but I'm not sure where to put it, since the idea itself is hard to balance. Maybe something with Strive?

Muradin 2WUR
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Warrior R
Vigilance
UR, T, discard a card - Deal 3 damage to target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
WR, T, discard a card - ~ gets +2/+3 and First Strike until end of turn.
WU, T, discard a card - Return target creature to its owner's hand. If it has toughness 2 or less, destroy it instead.
3/4

Challenge: Something else that can spellshape (cost, T, discard a card - effect).

Blue Ghost
2015-04-19, 10:36 PM
Cards that have tons of abilities always make me antsy, but I suppose they're not a deal breaker if they're done well enough, and the abilities fit into a cohesive whole. So let's examine this to see if it works.
Vigilance - Enables you to attack and spellshape in the same round. Okay.
UR - 3 damage should be enough to kill most things, so the second part is usually redundant. I suppose it could work, but I'm not fond of it. This is also two abilities in one, which brings the total number of abilities to five.
RW: An asymmetrical P/T boost that also gives first strike. Why? The goal of first strike is to not get hit, and increasing toughness along with that is redundant.
UW: This is also two abilities in one, which brings the total number of abilities in six. It also plays exactly the same role as the first ability, so is redundant.
I think this card's design fails to justify its glut of abilities, for the reasons stated above.

Information Matrix 3
Artifact (U)
1, T, Discard a card: Draw a card.

Next: A mythic rare with a single ability.

Warmatt
2015-04-19, 10:40 PM
Nice, standard and simple. Me like.

Final Horror 2BRG
Legendary Creature- Horror MR
Devour X, where X is the number of creatures devoured this way (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it for each of those creatures.)
"It just ate everything...."
0/0

Challenge; Another Horror

Ninjaman
2015-04-20, 12:15 AM
That card already exist, albait without black.

Phyrexian Tormenter - 2BB
Creature - Horror - R
Intimidate
Whenever an opponent discards a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Phyrexian Tormenter.
3/2

Something else Phyrexian.

mystic1110
2015-04-20, 10:16 AM
For a build around me card, I feel that you could have made it much more . . . wow worthy? A single +1/+1 counter on a four mana creature with a starting power of 3 that requires at least another card and mana investment doesn't seem that great.

Perfected Spy [B/P][U/P]
Artifact Creature - Rogue C
([B/P] can be paid with either [B] or 2 life. [U/P] can be paid with either [U] or 2 life. )
Whenever Perfected Spy deals combat damage to a player you may look at the top card of that player's library. You may put that card into that player's graveyard.
Phyrexian's infiltrated all the guilds. . . but the Dimir were a favorite.
1/1

Create another Phrexian/Guild card

r2d2go
2015-04-20, 11:30 AM
Well, it's really good when you don't care too much about your life total. Weirdly enough, this could be reasonable in more aggressive decks, since it makes it harder for your opponent to get recovery cards. And you can play it turn 1 with Goblin Guide! Still, low P/T and reasonably low impact ability puts it in the "where would I actually play this?" zone. I like it :smalltongue:

Simic Compleation (U/P)(G/P)
Instant - U
Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, then put a +1/+1 counter on another target creature.

Yeah, it's both counters, which is frowned upon, but I like it :smalltongue: If you don't like it, I guess it could be temporary +2 and -2... eh, that might be too strong. +3 and -3 at 1 more cost?

Challenge: Another multicolored instant.

Warmatt
2015-04-20, 11:37 AM
Eh, a decent enough buff and debuff.

Essence Theft (U/B)(U/B)(U/B)
Instant R
Counter target spell and chose one; Target creature gains two +1/+1 counters, or gain 2 life.
Entwine BU

Challenge; Create another Multicolored card

Jormengand
2015-04-20, 12:03 PM
Pretty powerful. Counterspells for UU don't exist any more, and off-colour cards should probably cost more (so you should have to pony up, say, 3BB to counter a spell in black if you should even be able to do it at all). I don't see how gain 2 life (W) or put two +1/+1 counters on target creature (W/G) comes into it.

Holy Immolator 2WR
Creature - Human Cleric U
Instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
2/4

Unnatural Immolator 2PR
Creature - Human Witch U
Instant and sorcery spells you control have arc-judgement (Whenever a creature that took damage from them this turn dies, exile it. Arc-keywords work for noncombat damage.)
3/3

Unholy Immolator 2BR
Creature - Human Cultist U
Instant and sorcery spells you control have infect.
4/2

Natural Immolator 2RG
Creature - Human Druid U
Instant and sorcery spells you control have arc-trample (Arc-keywords work for noncombat damage.)
3/3

Next: Something else that would fit in a cycle.

Warmatt
2015-04-20, 12:17 PM
While black normally goes for "Deal X damage and Gain X life" or "Give X -1/-1 counters and Gain X +1/+1 counters" thought why not add it on a dimir sort of counter card?

As for the Holy Immolator? Damn, that thing would be awesome in a direct damage deck :smallbiggrin:

Primal Horror 4GR
Creature- Beast MR
6GR; Monstrosity 5 (If this creature isn't monstrous, place 5 +1/+1 counters on it and it becomes monstrous)
Tribute 5 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place five +1/+1 counters on it.)
As long as ~ is Monstrous, ~ has Trample and First Strike
If Tribute was not paid, ~ has Hexproof and Indestructible
5/5

Challenge; Something with Monstrosity or Tribute

braveheart
2015-04-20, 02:26 PM
For 6 mana a 5/5 indistructable hexproof or a 10/10 is too strong, the monstrosity ability seems fine though

Undersea Sage King 4UU
Creature - Wizard Merfolk - R
Islandwalk
Tribute 4 (As this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place four +1/+1 counters on it.)
If tribute was not paid draw 3 cards
1/2

Something that gets you card advantage

Warmatt
2015-04-20, 02:34 PM
A decent enough card, either a 5/6 or a mans to draw three cards, pretty nice in a blue deck.

Deepheart Seer 3RU
Creature- Dwarf Wizard R
When you draw a card, you may reveal it. If you do, Scry X, where X is the revealed cards converted mana cost.
When you cast an instant or sorcery, you may pay UURR. If you do so, Fateseal 4
UURR- Target Player draws or Discards a card.
1/4

Challenge; Another Wizard

Jormengand
2015-04-20, 02:40 PM
Repeatable Fateseal 4 and One Eye Open scry for the card's CMC basically mean that you control both players' decks for the entirety of the rest of the game. And that's terrible.

Fatal Seer U(P/B)
Creature - Human Wizard C
One Eye Open - When you draw a card, each opponent exiles the top card of their library.
1/2

Spellsmasher URG
Creature - Human Wizard C
When you counter a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Spellsmasher.
3/3

Next: Another three-colour common.

r2d2go
2015-04-20, 05:43 PM
Well, it's alright. Without a set of exile interactions to work with, that's the most I can say, though I suppose in a sort of mill deck it could get its value's worth.

Kol's Diplomat 1(R/G)U
Creature - Human C
Whenever you flip a coin, target creature's power becomes 4 until end of turn.
Kol saw no reason why both him and the Temur could not benefit from his power.
2/2

Or if that's too complicated,

Temur Trapper 1(U/R)G
Creature - Human Warrior C
Morph 1G
4/1

Challenge: Something with wings that can't fly, or something without wings that can. Bonus points for both, somehow :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-04-20, 06:28 PM
It's an interesting idea, but coin flip mechanics are not very common, so it would have little effect

Crippled Cannon Fairy RU
Creature - Fairy - U
RU:~ gains +2/-1 and flying until end of turn, sacrifice ~ at the end of turn
2/2

Make something black, with a CMC greater than 4

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-20, 07:04 PM
The idea of a fairy who turns to cannons as a solution to his broken wings is somewhere between funny and actually kind of horrifying. Though it's about right in terms of expense, I feel like this should be mono-red; it doesn't need blue to have flying, and the sacrifice effect is a very red plan.

Monumental Undertaking 4BB
Enchantment - MR
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have 60 or more cards in your graveyard, you win the game.

Challenge! A robot bunny. Make it happen.

r2d2go
2015-04-20, 08:03 PM
Well, it could work :smalltongue: I have a golgari self-mill deck that actually gets close to that point fairly frequently, and since it runs four Commune with Gods, it's actually not all that bad... hm. Could be reasonable, but I doubt it'd be overpowered. Very Johnny :smalltongue:

Laser Lagomorph 5
Artifact Creature - Robot Rabbit U
(2/R)(2/U), T, Discard a card: ~ deals 4 damage to target creature or player.
"Trespasser detected. Termination commencing."
3/3

Challenge: Something else that uses (2/_) (e.g. Reaper King (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=159408)).

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-20, 08:56 PM
Pretty good, but I think it should be a spellshaper. And for a flame javelin, the price is a little low, but it's attached to a pricey body, so it's probably not that serious.

Flank Attack {2/R}{2/W}{2/W}
Instant; R

Kicker {2/R}
Cast Flank Attack only at the beginning of your declare attackers step.
Put a Soldier, Knight or Warrior creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
If the kicker cost was paid, creatures you control get +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.

Next: A hydra or a huge elemental.

r2d2go
2015-04-20, 09:53 PM
With that and Preeminent Captain, it seems fairly easy to make a R/W soldier-cheating-in deck, with big stuff like Captain of the Watch (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191070) or Agrus Kos (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=191070). It'd be very good with just the base WWR cost, and the kicker and flexibility is very significant, so this might be somewhat too strong. Then again, the antisynergy with First Strike and playing before blockers is also pretty notable, so... Eh, it's pretty close. Regardless, pretty cool :smallbiggrin:

Lord of the Maelstrom 6URG
Creature - Elemental MR
Whenever ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead shuffle it into your library.
At the end of your turn, if you didn't Cascade that turn, put three -1/-1 counters on ~.
Spells you cast from your hand have Cascade.
13/13

Challenge: Something else with the number 13, or something else with Cascade on it somewhere.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-21, 12:43 AM
I'd be more keen to make his ability only work on instants and sorceries, though I guess there are a ton of creatures with Cascade anyway. I'm glad that you put on the anti-zombification thing, but the fact remains that this guy's sheer size makes its otherwise interesting ability... well, less interesting. What do you even need other spells for at that point? Are you just digging to cascade into something that gives him trample? The -1/-1 counters seem like they're trying to offset this, but they barely matter if he cascade-triggers off of permanents and spells alike, and even if you have nothing, he'll still either end the game in a couple turns or get removed anyway.

Scrape Something Together 13U
Sorcery - R
Delve (Each card you exile from your graveyard while casting this spell pays for 1.)
Cascade (When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom in a random order.)
Draw a card.

Challenge! A 1-drop. (That is to say, a card that costs 1 mana to cast, and which would often be reasonable to actually play on turn 1.)

r2d2go
2015-04-21, 01:31 AM
Huh. Pretty cool! :smalltongue: With a bit of Scry this could be quite powerful, and it's a very crafty way of fulfilling the challenge. I like it, even if it probably doesn't hit quite the right power level, and honestly I get the feeling this would cost something more reasonable if I didn't make 13 the challenge.

And yeah, I only made my guy so big because of the challenge: If it weren't for that, he'd probably be... 5/8 without drawback, maybe? If only to beat Maelstrom Wanderer :smallbiggrin:

Sprout Growth G
Instant - U
Choose one:
-Put a 1/1 Saproling onto the battlefield.
-Target creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
-Search your library for a forest and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Challenge: Another cheap modal card - bonus points for CMC 1, or heck, even CMC 0.

Ninjaman
2015-04-21, 01:44 AM
The powerlevel seems right, though I'm not sure if this fulfills the one drop challange, since you rarely want to just slam a 1/1 into play, though I guess you could find a forest.

Magma Charm - 0
Instant - U
Cast Magma Charm only if you control a mountain.
Choose one:
* Deal 1 damage to target creature.
* Destroy target artifact with a converted manacost 2 or less.
* Draw a card, then discard a card.

Continue the Cycle.

braveheart
2015-04-21, 02:25 AM
Because it requires a mountain, it should be red and you should probably discard before you draw, otherwise it seems appropriate

Aqua Carm 0
Instant-U
~ is blue
Cast ~ only if you control an island
Choose 1
-target creature with power 2 or less gains flying until end of turn
-tap target creature with toughness 2 or less
-draw a card then discard a card

I like this cycles idea so keep it going in B, W, or G

Ninjaman
2015-04-21, 04:04 AM
You are right about the spell being colored, though color indicators are used now a days. With the red having looting the blue should perhaps have scry 2 or something instead. I think flying is fine without the power restriction and tap is fine without the toughness restriction. Also it has two abilities that makes your creatures more evasive, it should probably only have one.

Light Charm - 0
(White) Instant - U
Cast Light Charm only if you control a Plains
Choose one:
*Target creature gains lifelink until end of turn.
*Exile target enchantment with converted mana cost 2 or less .
*Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn.

The black or green charm

Jormengand
2015-04-21, 06:19 AM
Hmm. Not sure I like being able to nope a shock when you're tapped out. Exiling little enchantments isn't going to come up too often, and lifelink might be useful later in the game, so those are fine.

Dark Charm 0
Instant U (B)
Cast Dark Charm only if you control a swamp.
Choose one:
- Target creature gets -2/-0 until end of turn.
- Scry 1, draw a card and you lose 3 life.
- Target creature has intimidate until end of turn.

Sylvan Charm 0
Instant U (G)
Cast Sylvan Charm only if you control a forest.
Choose one:
- Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
- Put a 1/1 green squirrel creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
- Target creature gets trample until end of turn.

Urban Charm 0
Instant U (P)
Cast Urban Charm only if you control a city.
Choose one:
- Target creature gets judgement until end of turn.
- Exile the top card of target library.
- Return target card from exile to its owner's graveyard.

Next: Removal on a permanent.

Ninjaman
2015-04-21, 07:40 AM
-2/-0 is a blue ability, not black. The draw would be cleaner, and still good enough compared to street wraith and gitaxian probe, without the scry. I think an instant speed non artifact memnite might have been okay if that was the only thing the card did, as is it should probably be a 0/1 plant.

Sigil of Arrest - 2UW
Enchantment - M
Sigil of Arrest enters the battlefield tapped.
1UW,T: Exile target nonland permanent. Return Sigil of Arrest to it’s owners hand.

Another enchantment that taps itself.

Jormengand
2015-04-21, 10:08 AM
I thought non-creature non-artifact enchantments just didn't tap? The only two that do were both printed in Future Sight, which speaks a lot about the chance of it happening now. Seems a bit of an odd card and challenge for you specifically to make.

Anyway, repeatable exile that doesn't cost cards, but does cost 3WWUU? Well, you probably don't have 3WWUU lying about on your average day, so there's that. Honestly, I'd be disappointed to open this as a mythic.

Scarab of Khalesh 3BBB
Artifact Enchantment - R
Creatures you control have intimidate.
XXBB, T: Creatures you don't control get -X/-X until end of turn.

Next: A god from an Egyptian-themed pantheon. Could be this guy.

Warmatt
2015-04-21, 10:17 AM
A very decent scarab, that could have been seen in some occult circles.

Hat'esh 4GW
Legendary Enchantment Creature- God MR
Indestructible, Protection from Red
As long as your Devotion to Green and White is less then 7, ~ is not a creature.
Landfall- Populate
XGW, T- Place X 1/1 Green Plant Spirit tokens with "Sacrifice, T- Gain 1 life, or target creature has Absorb 1 until the end of the turn" into play.
"He who causes the river to rise, and the fields to brig forth an abundance of bounty, he who protects against the red sands. Glory be to his name."
3/6

Also, while a Green/White might be odd for an Egyptian themed deity, he is a fertility based one based around a river. Still, while he could be blue, I see him more in the fact that he brings new life, then a strictly water based deity.

Challenge; Another god

Jormengand
2015-04-21, 11:27 AM
Absorb isn't used much any more, and the formatting is a bit off, but it seems fine otherwise. You could have it just prevent the next 1 point of damage that would be dealt to that creature this turn instead, which will usually be the same thing.

Khalesh, The Flame that Burns Worlds 3BBRR
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to black and to red is less than 9, Khalesh isn't a creature.
Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
7/4

Next: Another member of this pantheon.

Warmatt
2015-04-21, 11:39 AM
Pretty good for a damage deck, and can see him pulling out a lot of use.

Hurem, Eye of Magic 4UW
Legendary Enchantment Creature- God MR
Indestructible, Protection from Black
As long as your devotion to Blue and Whit is less then 7, ~ is not a creature
Whenever a nontoken creature enters play, Scry 2
X, T- Choose a color. X creatures or players gain protection against the chosen color until the end of the turn.
"Mistress of magic, she who divines the future and wards against the magic of our enemies. Praise her."
4/4

Challenge; Lets go with another member of the pantheon.

r2d2go
2015-04-21, 06:50 PM
The first ability is totally fine, but the second ability is surprisingly strong. Remember that protection gives evasion, avoids removal, cancels effects (e.g. using that against Electrolyze not only protects but also cancels the draw and any damage to other targets), and allows safe blocks. That ability should probably cost more, maybe XW or XWU.

Hapi-Ankh, Who Holds Gods 3RG
Enchantment Creature - God MR
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to red and to green is less than 7, ~ isn't a creature.
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, choose one:
-Target creature gets +3/+3, Trample and becomes an enchantment creature until end of turn.
-Creatures you control get +1/+0 and Haste until end of turn.
6/3

Challenge: Something small. Or, something green.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-23, 12:52 AM
Might be a little too good. The ETB effect is a powerful quasi-charm that could easily win you the game pretty early, especially with green mana ramp and tokens. Not really getting the flavor, either. When I first read the name, I immediately thought white-black. Still, would be fun to play with.

Jason, Spear of Akros 1WWW
Legendary Creature-Human Soldier; R

First strike
When Jason enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens with first strike onto the battlefield.

1/1

Next: A wizard.

r2d2go
2015-04-23, 01:17 AM
Huh. Not great, but not bad, since three 1/1 guys for 4 isn't bad on its own. They make good blockers, and with anthem buffs, it's possibly very strong, so pretty appropriate. The legendary creature part isn't too relevant, but it does add some level of flavor, which is cool :smalltongue:

Hapi-Ankh (also known as Apis) is an egyptian bull-god of strength that often symbolized or was said to cause ascension to godhood, so I made one option something like a gift of strength and psuedo-godhood, while the other was just thrown in to fit the colors.

Weirdspark Wizard 2UR
Creature - Wizard R
(U/R)(U/R), T, discard a card - Put a 1/4 Weird creature token onto the battlefield.
(U/R)(U/R), T - Target creature becomes a Weird until end of turn.
(U/R) - Target Weird gets +1/-1 or -1/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Something else that creates an existing card, or simulates it. This makes Frostburn Weird (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=289230). Another example would be Goldmeadow Lookout (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Goldmeadow%20Lookout) and Goldmeadow Harrier (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Discussion.aspx?multiverseid=222708).

Blue Ghost
2015-04-23, 04:27 PM
Another thing with too many abilities. This one is thematic enough, so it's excusable. Just one of the abilities would make a fair card. I'd at least drop the second ability; with that, it's trying to do too much.

Goblin Phalanx Leader 3RR
Creature - Goblin Warrior (R)
When Goblin Phalanx Leader enters the battlefield, put two 2/1 red Goblin Warrior tokens named Goblin Piker onto the battlefield.
Creatures you control named Goblin Piker have first strike.
"Strike again, men! Pointy end in this time!"
3/2

Next: Make a Plant Turtle.

Warmatt
2015-04-23, 07:55 PM
A decent goblin leader :smallwink:

Yom, the Green 3GG
Legendary Creature- Plant Turtle R
Vigilance, Reach
~ may block X creatures, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on ~
Landfall- ~ gains a +1/+1 counter, and regenerate ~
"Slow and sure, he has the power of the ages in his shell."
4/4

Challenge; Create a card that breaks color use.

r2d2go
2015-04-23, 08:14 PM
Well, it's strong. 4/4 Reach Vigilance for 5 is a decent base, and the Landfall ability, especially in green where Landfall can get triggered two, even three times a turn, makes it even stronger. Luckily, he's slow enough that it's not really ideal against aggro as a defense, so it's probably okay.

Tasp 3
Artifact - R
XXB, T, discard a card - Target player draws a card. If they are not targeted by this ability again before your next upkeep, they discard X cards. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
"You will soon become dependent upon the tasp; if you kill me, you will still be ignobly bound by the tasp itself." - Ringworld

Looting is red, while draw is blue, so I figured it works for the challenge. Also, there are some memory problems, but slowtrips are similarly problematic, so I figured that's okay. Lastly, the 1v1 power level is not particularly high, never better than "2 - target player discards a card", but it's meant to be more of a multiplayer negotiation tool than much else.

Challenge: Another artifact.

Jormengand
2015-04-24, 10:08 AM
So, it's basically "XXBT, Discard a card: Target player draws a card and discards X cards". Well, okay I guess? I don't know why they would be targeted again by that ability before your next upkeep.

Galaramash, the Vanishing Lily (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18694051&postcount=379) 12
Legendary Artifact MR
Shift (Whenever Galamarash becomes targeted, you may return it to your hand and put a creature with the same or lower converted mana cost onto the battlefield which then becomes the target instead. That card cannot Shift this turn.)

Next: Make a large artifact. If you know what abilities would go on them, you could make one of the three other legendary flowers, but you don't have to.

Warmatt
2015-04-24, 10:21 AM
So, it's a artifact that can cost you 12, but allows you to place a 12 or less into play of targeted? Overall, pretty good.

Idol of the Chained God 8
Legendary Enchantment Artifact- MR
Creatures you control have Haste, Battlecry, Doublestrike, Bloodthirst 3, Trample, and Populate.
"Worshiping in blood and violence, they feed the chained god, and glory in his savage name."

And it's a darker version of Ankoma's Memorial.

Challenge; A Legendary Enchantment

braveheart
2015-04-24, 11:03 AM
It seems pretty good, although populate requires some activation cost/trigger, or you could just take it off and it would still be good, although with the double strike it might be a little short, but I can't say for sure

Lightning Storm Generator 3R
Legendary Enchantment Artifact - R
RT:deal 3 damage to target creature or player

Something that doesn't draw you any cards but dies generate significant card advantage

Warmatt
2015-04-24, 11:09 AM
So, an artifact that costs 4, and have to tap to do 3 damage? Eh, decent enough.

Fartide Seer 4UU
Enchantment Creature- Spirit Wizard R
Flying
2U, T- Scry 3
3U, T- Fateseal 3
"It gazes into the tides of fate, and sees much that is far off."
1/3

Challenge; Something with Devour or Tribute

braveheart
2015-04-24, 11:42 AM
That accurately fulfills the challenge, and would actually be pretty strong in EDH but probably wouldn't see play anywhere else

Krogath the Unmaker 2RBG
Legendary Creature - Dragon - MR
Flying, Trample,
Devour 2 (as this creature enters the battlefield, you may sacrafice any number of creatures, this creature comes into play with twice that many +1/+1 counters on them)
Tribute X (as this creature enters the battlefield, an opponent of your choice may place X +1/+1 counters on it)
X is equal to the number of creatures sacraficed to pay for devour
If tribute is not paid, return all creatures that entered your graveyard this turn to your hand
2/2

Something simple

Jormengand
2015-04-24, 11:49 AM
Hmm... thing is, with the tribute paid, he's still just a big beatstick with wings. Not amazingly scary, given it's just double-devour on a terrible chassis.

Trostan Knight WPR
Creature - Human Knight C
Standalone - If you control no other creatures, Trostan Knight gets +2/+2 and can block any number of creatures.
2/2

Psybolt 2U
Instant - R
Psybolt deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
The trouble with not being a jack of all trades, mused Jace, was that it was always so much harder to do someone else's trade.

Next: Another common with a new ability or an ability from this thread.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-24, 05:23 PM
I question if standalone is worth an ability word. It might be an interesting draft archetype, but you'd need a lot of support for it to get it to work, and even then, I don't know if you want more than a few cards in the set with it. Also, why is this three-color? This can be done quite well in mono-white. Nothing purple or red about it.

Haunted Creeper 1G
Creature - Spider
Spawn 2 (When this creature dies, put two 1/1 black Darkling creature tokens onto the battlefield.)
1/2

Next: A build-around uncommon.

BillyDeeWilliam
2015-04-24, 09:43 PM
Ok, clearly excellent sac fodder for black. Maybe too good in that regard. It's also a really excellent chump blocker. That said, it is in an enemy color. Flavorful, though.

Inescapable Reality WUU
Instant; U

Until end of turn, all spells can be countered. (If a spell's oracle text says it can't be countered, it can be)
Counter target spell.

Not sure if this is what you meant, or even if this doesn't belong in rare, but I felt like a hate bear with this ability would have been too trite.

Next: Another card that makes noninteractive things interactive.

Tom the Mime
2015-04-24, 11:57 PM
It's not really a build around uncommon - I can't see anyone building around it when at best it would a sideboard card in case of a devastating spell in a circulating deck that can't be countered. If there's nothing that can't be countered normally, it's just a very colour demanding more expensive counterspell. Also, how many times would you counter 2 things per turn for the ability to kick in for something other than itself?

Orb of Vulnerability 4
Artifact - R
All permanents lose indestructible and protection from X and can't regenerate.

Interdimensional defences 4W
Enchantment - R
Creatures with shadow, fear, unblockable, intimidate, flying and/or protection from X can be blocked as if they did not have those abilities.
There is no direction from which you can attack that we cannot defend

Make an equipment with flavour

r2d2go
2015-04-25, 12:44 AM
Well, it does what it's supposed to? 4 mana is a bit steep when you could probably just run exile or board wipes. Throwing in Hexproof and Shroud might be a good idea.

Thorngage's Doomblades 5
Legendary Artifact - Equipment MR
Image: A pair of pitch black blades resting on an altar of platinum, one wreathed in fire, one in frost. What appears to be a god lays fallen before them as if in sacrifice.
Equipped creature gets +2/+0, Doublestrike, and "Whenever equipped creature deals damage, tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its owner's next untap step."
T - Target God loses Indestructible and must block equipped creature if able until end of turn. Sacrifice ~ at the end of turn.
Fire, ice, and souls.
Equip 3

They were greater-artifact +2 Keen Greater Wounding Flaming/Icy Burst Kukri capable of god slaying and similarly epic accomplishments in a campaign I ran to 23rd level :smalltongue:

Challenge: Something else with an image description. Or, something else that forces blocks.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-25, 01:31 AM
I ran it through MSE. Each ability taken separately at full font size takes up five lines. When you have a card this wordy, you really have to ask if there is a way you can trim it down while keeping its essence. The second ability might be flavorful, but it's highly unlikely to ever come up. Very seldom is a five-line trinket text ability worth it. The first ability is very powerful, and might be oppressive. It makes the equipped creature very difficult to kill, and it will lock down two creatures every turn, or one plus killing a chump blocker. That sounds really difficult to deal with.

Wyrmslayer 3
A serrated blade in the hands of a battle-scarred warrior. A drake is flying toward the warrior, who faces it defiantly. Several other drakes lie slain at his feet.
Artifact - Equipment (U)
When Wyrmslayer enters the battlefield, you may equip it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature has reach.
Creatures with flying must block equipped creature if able.
Equip {G}

Next: Another equipment in this cycle.

r2d2go
2015-04-25, 09:58 AM
Well, as with many cards, it does what it's supposed to. I can't see it being run in anything, though.

I probably should have just made Doomblades tap and remove indestructible, but tap-and-don't-untap felt more flavorful (since it's generally associated with freezing) and I wanted to make it really godslaying. And, since flavor was the challenge, I went with it.

Shadow Slayer 3
Artifact - Equipment
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may equip it to target creature you control.
Equipped creature can block and be blocked by creatures with Shadow.
Creatures with Shadow must block equipped creature if able.
Equip W

Challenge: Something that burns.

Jormengand
2015-04-25, 10:37 AM
Well, it's one of very few things you could have done with that challenge, but I'm not convinced it's a great cycle.

Shielded flame PR
Instant - MR
Prevent the next 3 points of damage that would be dealt to each opponent and each creature an opponent controls. Then, shielded flame deals 1 damage to each opponent and each creature an opponent controls 3 times.
Strengthen the fire or weaken the shield, the choice is yours.

Yes, the point is to stack with Waize's flamestorm keyword, though there are other things that do the same thing. Yes, shields are white, but I feel that doing things such as giving enemies life, shielding enemies, regenerating things that aren't yours, and dealing damage to you would be as good a set of things as any for purple.

The Flame that Burns Worlds 8RRRRR
Sorcery - MR
The Flame that Burns Worlds can't be countered and the damage it deals can't be prevented.
The Flame that Burns Worlds deals 20 damage to target creature or player.

Next: Something wacky.

Warmatt
2015-04-25, 09:01 PM
I have no idea what that does for the most part. Still, your cards are generally good.

Death Cycle 5BB(G/W)(G/W)
Instant R
Rebound, Gravestorm
Death Cycle Deals X damage, where X is the number of creatures in all graveyards, to all creatures
Choose one;
Place X 1/1 black/green Plant Zombie token with "When this token would be destroyed by Death Cycle, populate instead" for each creature destroyed this way
Gain 2 life for each creature destroyed this way
Entwine GGWW

Challenge; Create a Titan

Blue Ghost
2015-04-26, 01:09 AM
Waaay too much going on there.
First effect is worth a full card by itself. It's a board wipe, and a pretty good one. Only thing is, black does not do damage unless it's drain. That would have to be a red/black effect.
Anything beyond that is extraneous, detracts from the design, and is just plain broken. Remove all that, keep just the first effect, and you have a workable card.

Slaughter Titan 4BR
Creature - Giant (M)
Haste
When Slaughter Titan enters the battlefield or attacks, distribute 2 -1/-1 counters among creatures your opponents control.
6/6.

Next: Another multicolored Titan.

Warmatt
2015-04-26, 01:31 AM
A good titian, decent brute with potent effect.

Harvest Titan 4GGWW
Creature- Giant MR
Convoke
Whenever ~ enters the battlefield or attacks, gain 2 life and populate
5/5

Challenge; Something based on the seasons.

Jormengand
2015-04-26, 11:10 AM
I have no idea what that does for the most part. Still, your cards are generally good.

It prevents the next three damage that would be dealt to all your enemies, and then does 1 damage to them three times. So if you have something with "Damage dealt by instant and sorcery spells you control can't be prevented" or "Flamestorm 1 (Whenever an instant or sorcery spell you control would deal damage, it deals 1 more damage)" you'd deal 3 damage to each of them.

Harvest titan seems... fine, I guess? Honestly, the convoke is just a little scary but probably okay.

Cycle of Seasons 2WBRG
Sorcery - R
Put a 4/4 white elemental creature token called Summer's Guardian, a 4/4 black elemental creature token called Winter's Guardian, a 4/4 red elemental creature token called Autumn's Guardian and a 4/4 green creature token called Spring's Guardian onto the battlefield under your control.
If this spell would put a token onto the battlefield with the same name as another creature you control, it doesn't. Instead, put 4 +1/+1 counters on that other creature (If there's more than one, you choose).

Next: A nonblue sorcery costing at least 10.

r2d2go
2015-04-26, 03:41 PM
I'm a bit wary of 16 P/T for 6, even if vanilla, split up and in four colors of mana, and the second ability makes it a bit stronger, IMO. Also, according to Blue Ghost, that would take up even more than my card, which was 10 lines of text already, so... Maybe cut off the second ability? And perhaps make them 3/3s? Not sure. Edit: Actually, differing stats based on what season they are might be cool (like 2/5, 3/4, 4/3, 5/2)

Ride the Beasts 8WWGG
Sorcery - R
Convoke
Put three 3/3 Beast creature tokens with Trample and Mount 1WG onto the battlefield. (T, 1WG - Target creature gets +3/+3 and Trample as long as this creature remains tapped. You may choose not to untap this creature during your untap step.)

Challenge: Something that exiles for a purpose.

braveheart
2015-04-27, 03:23 PM
I remember that we worked on mount before, and it seemed extremely clunky before, I think this version is a much better way of handling the mechanic

Start Anew 7GGW
Sorcery - MR
exile up to 1 creature, 1 land, 1 artifact, 1 enchantment, and 1 plainswalker.
Put all permanents on the battlefield on the bottom of their owners library's, put each player's graveyard, and hand on the top of their library, shuffle each player's library. Set each player's life to its starting total. Then put the exiled permanents onto the battlefield under their owner's control.
End the turn

Something that disrupts your opponent

Jormengand
2015-04-27, 04:06 PM
So... you basically win the game really easily? Even dropping a Chandra on someone will basically be enough to kill them before they can deal with them. Even for 10, you shouldn't near-enough win the game right off the bat.

Null Zone 1WWPP
Enchantment - MR
Other permanents have Silenced (They lose all abilities except Silenced and their equipment and auras have no effect except granting Silenced.)
And this is the greatest weapon of the Quijuk. When your army is meaningless and your weapons of war inoperable, all that is left is magical skill, and that is where the Quijuk will never lose.

Next: Another enchantment that's not anything else.

Blue Ghost
2015-04-27, 05:14 PM
I don't think I've yet critiqued any Silenced cards. Silenced is an interesting idea, though I'm not sure if it really merits a keyword instead of the simpler "lose all abilities." Null Zone strikes me as more white than blue; lockdown enchantments are a white thing. I'm not a fan of things that nullify everything; they tend not to be very fun. But perhaps having one of these wouldn't be too bad for the game, and could open some deckbuilding options. I'd be very cautious with it.

Toll of War 2B
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a creature dies, its controller discards a card.

Next: Remake an existing Magic card.

Jormengand
2015-04-27, 05:27 PM
I... just realised that Silenced is actually a WP ability, not a UP ability. Oops. *Edits*.

Toll of War seems like a nasty deck to play in BR creatureless.

Repercussion 2RR
Enchantment - R
Whenever a creature is dealt noncombat damage, Repercussion deals that much damage to that creature's controller.
Not all Keld's warriors are found on the battlefield.

Next: Another red enchantment.

Warmatt
2015-04-27, 05:42 PM
Nice, a good little burn enchantment. A real killer for damage wipes though.

Fury of the Horde 4RR
Enchantment R
Creatures you Control have Doubestrike and Battlecry
Red Creatures you control can only be exiled or destroyed as a result of combat damage.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage, place a +1/+1 counter on it.
"Can you not see their fury taken physical shape? We are doomed here, and none can stand against the Greenskin tide."

Challenge; Something Orky.

r2d2go
2015-04-27, 06:54 PM
Well, that's a lot of buffs. Dropping this with any significant board presence basically means you win. I'm not sure I like that for 6, even in red where 6 drops are unlikely to be played.

Ork Rage 1RR
Sorcery - U
Target creature gets "R - this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn", Doublestrike, and Trample until end of turn. Deal 5 damage to it at the end of turn.

If figure it's overall worse than things like Assault Strobe or Temur Battle Rage, but you get the flexibility of burning enemies and pumping mana.

Challenge: Something else that kills your own creatures.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-28, 02:06 AM
This might actually work! ...come to think of it, you don't even need the firebreathing ability; it's already quite scary as long as you have the right kind of Reddish creature out (or, say, Glass Golem). It can backfire unless it kills your opponent immediately, so it's functionally rather like a very conditional Lava Axe. Might cause some people to tear their hair out if it does end games too early, but since the effectiveness of doubling power depends on what kinds of creatures are available to you, it probably balances out based on the format. My primary complaint is still that orcs don't breathe fire. :smalltongue:

Feign Death 1B
Instant - U
Destroy target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, if that creature card is in a graveyard, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.

Challenge! Make something based on the idea of someone barking orders at their troops.

onasuma
2015-04-28, 07:30 AM
So, its a black sudo-flicker? Yeah, its pretty cool. Very versatile card, lets you swing in for a win or trigger your own stuff's ETB or deathrattle. Good costing as well. Id run a copy in most EDH decks.

Pending Mutiny 2R
Enchantment - R
R: Creatures you control gain +1/+0 until end of turn and put a "mutiny" counter on ~. Then Roll a dice. If the result is equal to, or less than the number of mutiny counters on ~ each creature you control deals damage to you, equal to its power.
You can only bark so long, before you get bit.

Next: A non-red goblin.

Jormengand
2015-04-28, 10:44 AM
Would be a decent rare even without the drawback, honestly.

Careless Healer 2WW
Creature - Goblin Priest R
T: Careless Healer deals 1 damage to target creature or player, then prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to that creature, or that player gains 3 life.
"Oopsie!"
- Jinjuku, goblin priest.

Next: Something amusing but not un.

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 10:53 AM
A decent white goblin, with typical goblin magic healing :smallamused:

Nyzoroth 2UU
Legendary Creature- Dragon Wizard R
Flying, Affinity for Artifacts
Metalcraft- As long as you have three or more artifacts, ~ has Hexproof and "Artifacts cost 2 less to play"
UU, T- Search your library for an artifact, and place it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
~ is controlled by the player with the most artifacts
"Oh, shiny! Me want the shiny!" -Nyzoroth, Wyrmling Dragon
2/2

Challenge; An amusing dragon or drake.

braveheart
2015-04-28, 01:32 PM
Interesting, and potentially good, although I'd be very wary of a repeatable tutor that puts the card in your hand, it should probably go on top of your deck

Dying Dragon 3B
Creature-Dragon-R
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep put a -1/-1 counter on ~
When ~ dies you may X -1/-1 counters on ~ to another target creature, where X is the number of -1/-1 counters on ~.
6/5

Something else that decays over time

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 01:44 PM
Eh, a decent enough debuffer that has a modified modular. Nice.

Entropy Engine 4(B/P)(R/P)
Artifact Creature- Elemental Golem R
Haste
Cumulative Upkeep; ~ gains a -1/-1 (At the beginning of your upkeep, ~ gains an age counter. Place a -1/-1 counter on ~ for each age counter. If you do not pay the cumulative upkeep, sacrifice ~)
~ gains +3/+0 for each -1/-1 counter on it
1/8

Challenge; Another Artifact creature

braveheart
2015-04-28, 03:07 PM
Is that purple or phyrexian? Otherwise it seems like and interesting balance to work with.

Venting Golem 4
Artifact Creature-Golem-R
Wear & Tear (whenever this creature deals combat damage, put a -1/-1 counter on it)
3:repair (temove all -1/-1 counters from ~)
When you repair ~ gain 1 mana per -1/-1 counter removed in any combination of colors
5/7

Make a non creature spell

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 03:54 PM
Phyrexian, I don't do purple cards. That said, that's a somewhat unbalanced card there. Sure, you take a hit after dealing damage, but, spending 3 mana to get all of it back, and getting some back while removing the penalty? Yeah, no so good.

Heart of The Old Gods 10
Legendary Enchantment Artifact- MR
Indestructible, Hexproof
Whenever a creature is sacrificed or destroyed, target creature gains a -1/-1 counter
2; Place a 2/2 Whisper of the Gods spirit creature token with "Sacrifice ~- Target creature fights another target creature" in play.
T- As an additional cost, sacrifice any number of Whisper of the Gods spirit creature token's. Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost X, where X is the number of Whisper of the Gods spirit creature token's sacrificed.

Challenge; Something Grimdark

Blue Ghost
2015-04-28, 04:55 PM
I'm noticing a persistent issue with your designs. You have good ideas in there, but they don't get a chance to shine through because you always try to do too much with your cards. Simplify, simplify. If you have multiple good ideas, don't stuff them all on the same card. They'll just pull focus from each other until you don't notice any of them and the card's an unreadable mess. Separate them, and let the player put them together in a deck if they want. Simple, elegant designs are the best.

Despair BB
Enchantment (R)
If your opponent has 10 or less life, creatures he or she controls gets -1/-1.

Next: A control-oriented monored card.

braveheart
2015-04-28, 05:01 PM
Useful, but also not, it would be great in securing a victory in limited, but other formats tend to not leave players at <10 life for more than a turn

Wild Flames 3RR
Enchantment-R
Whenever a creature you don't control enters the battlefield, ~ deals 3 damage to it.

ake a mono black draw spell

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 05:01 PM
A very decent burn enchant, good for clearing out your oppositions cheaper creatures.

Darkwing Soulgazer 3BB
Creature- Dragon Wizard R
Flying, Protection from Spirits
Trove 1, X, T- Scry X. (To Trove, tap X number of artifacts you control)
Trove 3, Sacrifice a creature- Draw X cards, where X was equal to the sacrificed creatures toughness.
"With his trove of bloody gold, he sees the future, and rumbles."
3/3

Challenge; Something with Trove, or an artifact

Wingbinder Magus 3UU
Flying, Protection from Flying
Trove 2, T- Tap target creature with flying. It does not untap during it's controls next untap step. (To Trove, tap X number of artifacts you control)
Trove 5, UU- Tap all creatures you do not control with flying. They do not untap on their controllers next untap step.
"A potent wizard, he binds the wings of his foes, allowing his kin to soar unhindered."
3/3

Challenge; Something with Trove, or an artifact.

Jormengand
2015-04-28, 05:06 PM
Hrrm. Annoys fateful hour decks, useless against burn or extort decks. Very odd, but fair enough I guess.

Burning Barrier 1RR
Enchantment U
When a creature attacks, that creature takes 1 damage for each attacking creature.
"The best defence is a good offence, and the best offence is fire."
- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Again, too complicated. You are never going to manage to Trove 5, and you will be sad if you are not playing artifacts against flying.

Armour Indomitable 1
Artifact - Idol Equipment R
WWT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise Armour Indomitable, put a charge counter on it and you may equip it to target creature.
Equipped creature gets +0/+X, where X is the number of charge counters on Armour Indomitable.

Next: A card which requires cards of a colour it isn't, and doesn't mention, to work to its full extent (For example a white card that gave your instants and sorceries lifelink).

r2d2go
2015-04-28, 05:34 PM
Well, it's 1 mana, and an idol, and does something. That alone makes it pretty good in an idol-set. I think instant-speed toughness gain (often a lot) might be too good though. Unfortunately, it'd be a lot worse at 2... Maybe a flat +0/+2 or +3? Hm.

Massive Force G
Sorcery - U
Until end of turn, if a spell you control would deal lethal damage to a creature or player, you may have it deal the rest of the damage plus one to another target creature or player.

Yes, Jorm, it's a lot like Arc-Trample :smalltongue:

Weirdchain RUG
Sorcery - R
As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a weird.
Deal X damage to target creature or player, where X is the sacrificed weird's power. If this would deal lethal damage to a creature or player, deal the rest of the damage plus 2 to another target creature or player.

Challenge: Another 1 mana card that does nothing on its own.

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 05:38 PM
Overall, somewhat strange, but could happen in a red green deck.

The Shiny 1
Artifact
~ counts as two artifacts for the purpose of Trove.
"It was shiny, and therefore valuable. Dragon hatchlings knew this well."

Challenge; A monster that uses Trove

braveheart
2015-04-28, 06:47 PM
Honestly, I can't say anything about that artifact until more trove effects are established, but it seems fine and fit the challenge

Hordemaster 2RR
Creature-Soldier-R
Trove 2:(to trove you may tap X artifacts you control, it doesn't u tap during your untapped step) ~ gains a +1/+1 counter
If ~' power is greater than 5 ~ has vigilance
3/3

Something that explodes

r2d2go
2015-04-28, 07:50 PM
Well, vigilance is about as far from red as you can get. Otherwise, it's alright. Might make more sense at 1 less and red-white.

Wave-Blast Grenade
Artifact - U
Suspend 3 - 2
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay U. If you do, tap up to 3 target permanents. They don't untap during their controller's next turn. You may also pay R. If you do, deal 2 damage to up to 3 target creatures or players.

Challenge: Another artifact with colored costs.

Warmatt
2015-04-28, 09:27 PM
Looks good overall.

That said, going to be taking Trove and Hoard Cards, and here's a Hoard artifact.

Healers Trinket (W)(W)
Artifact U
Hoard (At the beginning of your upkeep, place a Hoard Counter on ~. When this card is tapped for Trove, remove all Hoard counters after resolving the effect)
When you tap ~ for Trove, you gain X life, where X is the number of Hoard counters on ~
"It gathers healing magic, until a mage draws on the trove."

Challenge; A card that gets better over time... bonus points for Hoard.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-28, 11:33 PM
There's no reason to make Hoard so parasitic. I know it's kind of a temporary lark for you guys, but Trove is a very limited mechanic in the first place. You could just have it work more like this:

Kindleglutton 1R
A goblin sits at a short table loaded with flaky, dried somethings that might barely qualify as food if you squint. In his hand is a large glass bottle of a chunky, steaming red substance, the likes of which is also dripping from his manic grin.
Creature - Goblin Shaman C
Hoard (At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Hoard counter on this permanent.)
1R, remove all Hoard counters from Kindleglutton: Kindleglutton gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of Hoard counters removed this way.
It tastes even better coming back up.
1/2

Challenge! A penguin!

r2d2go
2015-04-28, 11:56 PM
I like it :smalltongue: It's good with burst-damage decks, the type that attempts to swing for the one-hit-kill with Assault Strobe/Tainted Strike and such, though perhaps not overly powerful since it comes with no built-in evasion and only exceeds what you can normally get for 2 after 2-3 turns. Still, a good common.

Permafrost Penguin 1(S)U
Creature - Penguin U
Snow-Covered Landwalk
Whenever ~ attacks, put a Permafrost counter on target land. It becomes Snow as a supertype.
1/3

Challenge: Something else that enables itself.

Jormengand
2015-04-29, 10:54 AM
Iiit's a penguin! And it's a penguin that's unblockable, because it snows a land before the DB step. So it's a 1/3 unblockable for 1SU which also allows you to snow more of your own lands? Sure, I guess.

The Book of True Names 7
Legendary Artifact - Idol MR
UUT: Energise each idol you control.
When you energise The Book of True Names, draw a card.
"What would you do with the power to control gods? I know that I would keep that power. Store it. Accumulate it. And then I would take my rightful place among the divine."
- Commander Kayros, the Lord of Words

Yes, I do think it's worth 7 for that much draw, especially if you're likely to cheat the cost down.

Next: Make something that would cheat the cost down. :smalltongue:

r2d2go
2015-04-29, 12:02 PM
Remember when you made the same idol at (I believe) 4, and it was uncommon? :smalltongue: Anyway, this is more reasonable, but it could probably cost 6 or 5 and not be insane. Or, draw 2.

Chaos Idol 3
Artifact - Idol U
T, UR - Energise each idol you control.
Whenever ~ becomes energised, put it back into your hand, then put a random idol in your hand onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Something else with "random" in the text.

Warmatt
2015-04-29, 12:08 PM
Pretty good return and random, cheap too.

Blazing Heart Bauble (R)(R)
Artifact UR
Hoard (At the beginning of your upkeep, place a Hoard Counter on ~. When this card is tapped for Trove, remove all Hoard counters after resolving the effect)
When you tap ~ for Trove, deal X damage to random creature you opponent controls, where X was the number of Hoard counters on ~.
"It stores power, power that con only be erratically directed, but to explosive results."

Hoard is meant to trigger on Trove, and reflects why Dragons hoard treasure, it builds power over time, that they can then leech out of it to power magic. Of course, after using the power, they have to wait for it to grow again.

And, as apparently Purple Mana is seen as P, R is my way of phyrexian R or 2 Life.

Challenge; A Dragon with Trove, or an Artifact with Hoard.

Jormengand
2015-04-29, 12:17 PM
So for (R/Φ)(R/Φ), you have a way of repeatedly clearing small minions so long as you get something with trove, and of course it allows you to pay the trove cost? Hmm. It's a slightly weird storing Tim on an artifact that costs 4 life, so I guess?

Idolator Dragon 4RR
Creature - Dragon R
Flying
Trove 2: Energise target idol.
Trove 5: Energise each idol you control. (To trove X, tap X untapped artifacts you control.)
Far too many religious symbols have been stolen by dragons to build their hoards, but never like this.

Next: Planeswalker with another type.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-04-29, 10:02 PM
Okay, how about this: we go off and make another thread, where we design an entire new set - nay, perhaps an entire block - from the ground up. Setting, story, mechanics, the works - and enough commons, uncommons and rares to fill the format. Then, maybe, I'll have some remote idea what the heck this dragon is trying to do here. From what I can tell, it really just looks like an unnecessary middleman for your cards' existing activated abilities.

Bob, Warp Gate Engineer 2(u/w)
Planeswalker - Bob MR
+1: Put a 1/1 blue and white Vedalken Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
+0: Bob, Warp Gate Engineer becomes an Vedalken Tribal Enchantment with, "Vedalken creatures you control have vigilance, and you may cast Vedalken creature spells as though they had flash." It's still a planeswalker.

Challenge! Make an aura, or something that interacts with auras.

r2d2go
2015-04-29, 11:49 PM
I feel like it should have an ult :smalltongue: I mean, Tibalt has one! It's alright though.

Aura Hatchling 1RWG
Creature - Dragon U
Flying, Trample
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each aura you control.
2/3

Challenge: Something else uncommon. Bonus points for tricolor.

braveheart
2015-04-30, 10:39 AM
Interesting thought, with 1 aura out he's worth it, and as you add on more it could become very impressive, it would be fun to build a deck around it

Thrasher Bull 3R
Creature - Beast - U
Haste
4/3

Make something blue and Green

Warmatt
2015-04-30, 10:47 AM
Eh, a decent enough beast with haste, but nothing too impressive.

Wildheart Venomseer 4UG
Flying
Trove 1- Place a 1/1 Green Snake Enchantment Creature token into play. (To trove, tap X artifacts you control)
Trove 3, T- Tap any number of enchantments you control, then Scy or Fateseal X, where X is the number of Enchantments tapped.
"With a brood of otherworldly serpents, she divines the patterns of past, present and future."
3/3

Challenge; Something Red and Green... bonus points if it's based on the Red Green show:smallwink:

Jormengand
2015-04-30, 12:13 PM
Okay, how about this: we go off and make another thread, where we design an entire new set - nay, perhaps an entire block - from the ground up. Setting, story, mechanics, the works - and enough commons, uncommons and rares to fill the format.

Ask and ye shall receive. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412627-MTG-Let-s-make-a-block!&p=19187688#post19187688)

Wildheart Venomseer is... odd. Enchantments don't usually tap (there are about 2 noncreature enchantments that do), so you don't need to tap them to do anything else, meaning that if you have 3 artifacts and many enchantments, you basically control everyone's draws forever. The setup to do that, plus being a 3/3 dual colour for 6, means that's probably okay, though.

Explosive Growth 4RG
Sorcery - U
Destroy target artifact and deal X damage to its controller, where X is its converted mana cost.

Next: Make something where CMC matters.

braveheart
2015-04-30, 06:34 PM
It seems a bit over costed, actually a lot overcosted, I actually where'd a very similar card except cheaper, rare, and allowing the choice of target creature or player, I do like the idea, but it's just way too much mana

Summon the Many or Mighty 5GGGG
Sorcery - R
search your deck for a creature spell, reveal it, then if that creatures combined mana cost is 5 or less search for up to 1 more copy of that spell, reveal it, if the spell's combined mana cost is 4 or less search for up to one more copy of it, reveal it, if the spell's converted mana cost is 3 or less search for up to one more copy of it, reveal it
Put all spell's revealed this way onto the battlefield

I'm not sure if there is a better way to phrase that, and if there is I'd be happy to see it

Make something that uses +1/+1 counters

r2d2go
2015-04-30, 07:50 PM
Yeah, there's a better way. "Put 5-X token copies of that creature onto the battlefield, where X is that creature's CMC." Negative numbers are treated as 0 in general. In any case, that's kind of really silly. I'm not sure it's worth anything, but I guess it works?

Wing-Splice Steed 1G
Creature - Horse Bat U
Mutate 2, 2UGG
Mount 1G (T, 1G - Target creature gets +2/+2 and if ~ is mutated, that creature gains Flying, until ~ untaps. You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step.)
If ~ is Mutated, it has Flying.
2/2

Mutate X, (cost) - You may cast ~ for its Mutate cost. If you do, it enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters and is Mutated.

Challenge: Something else with a mechanic made up somewhere in a YMTC thread, or a totally new one. Bonus points for multiple. Or something big, I guess.

Blue Ghost
2015-05-02, 10:16 PM
I don't believe Wizards makes cards with multiple nonevergreen keyword mechanics, as they eat up a lot of brainspace. Mutate and mount are both pretty decent mechanics, but I don't see any compelling reason to mix them.

Grado Recruit W
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Promote (At the end of each combat phase, if this creature attacked or blocked, put a +1/+1 counter on it. Then if it has three or more +1/+1 counters on it, transform it.)
1/1
////
Duessel's Lieutenant
(W) Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
3/3

Next: Ramp.

braveheart
2015-05-03, 02:04 PM
Promote is an interesting mechanic, it could get pretty big, and that might necessitate that the card cost 1W rather than W especially as a common

Rookie Scout 2G
Creature-Human-U
Promote(at the end of combat, if this creature attacked or blocked during combat, put a +1/+1 counter on it, when this creature has 3 or more +1/+1 counters transform it)
1/5
//
Superior Scout
Creature-Human
Remove 3 +1/+1 counters, transform ~: search your library for a land, put it into play tapped
4/4

Something with protection

r2d2go
2015-05-03, 04:41 PM
Huh. I think this is a bit too strong, just by virtue of stats - You play it turn 2 or 3, and it's already a good blocker. After a single turn of blocking, it's wrecking aggro and quickly gaining power. Then, it transforms, leaving you with a 7/7. You don't even need to use its landsearch ability to be good - it's a 7/7 for 3. Maybe start it off as 1/4 or 1/3, so it might have trouble surviving early, at least? Or lower the promoted scout to a 3/3.

Swarm Defender 2W
Creature - U
Defender
~ can block any number of creatures.
If ~ blocks at least 4 creatures at once, it gains Protection from Creatures until end of turn.
0/4

Challenge: Something else that's an effective blocker.

Warmatt
2015-05-03, 04:49 PM
So, a blocker that gets extremely good when against 4+ swarming targets? Looks good.

Deep Troll Ironhide 3RRWW
Creature- Troll Warrior R
First Strike, Vigilance, Unyielding (When this creature blocks, Regenerate it)
RRWW- Deep Troll Ironhide gains Doublestrike and "May block any number of creatures" until the end of the turn.
"Brat, I've fought horrors across a hundred thousand worlds. I have witnessed demonic gods made flesh devour nations. I have seen the land shudder and quake under armies of the damned. For close to a million years I have waged war, and I have never retreated, never surrendered. And I am still here, even as they are not."
5/5

Challenge; Something with epic flavor text

Jormengand
2015-05-03, 04:59 PM
Well... it's a 7-drop with no reach or flying, but it's horribly good at blocking anything else and trying to block it is a nightmare, especially since it can go into god-mode to kill anything with up to 10 Tou for RRWW (usually, they're written in WUBRG order, so in this case WWRR). It's probably okay, I guess?

Embargo W
Instant - U
Target land doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Draw a card.
"When your people turn against you, you will curse my name to the heavens and the heavens will side with me."
- Captain Listrata

Next: Something else costing 1 mana... but this time, make it Mythic Rare.

Warmatt
2015-05-03, 05:07 PM
I knew I forgot reach.... Eh. That said, a decent land block and draw card.

Deep Troll Rifle 1
Artifact- Equipment MR
RR; Equipped creature gains +2/+0 and Reach until the end of turn.
Stand Alone- If you only control one creature, Equipped Creature gains +3/+0
Equip 2
"They may be old, but they get the job done. No matter the onslaught."

Challenge; An equipment with Stand Alone.

Jormengand
2015-05-03, 05:18 PM
Assuming you're trying to use the Clan Trostan's Standalone ability, the card would have:

Equipped creature has "Standalone - If you control no other creatures, this creature gains +3/+0".

Anyway, it's functional. Doesn't seem MR, probably more R. Something MR would be more like:

Haleikoradraki, The Spear That Slew Gods 8
Legendary Artifact - Equipment MR
Equipped creature has +8/+0, First Strike and "Creatures fighting, blocking or blocked by this creature aren't indestructible".
Standalone - Whenever you control no creatures, put a 5/5 red human warrior creature token onto the battlefield under your control and equip Haleikoradraki to it.
Equip 6

Though of course, working out a version to cost 1... well, that's all part of the challenge!

Next: Another spear. Doesn't have to be an equipment or even an artifact, of course...

Warmatt
2015-05-03, 05:27 PM
In my defense, it was also a 1 mana card, so was not sure what I could get away with. And damn, that's a nice spear, a real god, or kami killer?

Togan Yar'Shintar, Spear of the Khzam 6WWRR
Legendary Creature- Troll Warrior Lord MR
Vigilance, Protection from Demons, Hatred of Demons 5 (When ~ fights Demons, ~ gains +5/+5 until end of combat), Unyielding (When this creature blocks, Regenerate it)
Whenever a Demon enters play, ~ deals 5 damage to target creature or player
Demons do not have Protection, Hexproof or Regeneration
"For ten million years, I have become the hunter. I am the spear that slaughters the demons, without mercy or hesitation. And I am merely the first of many."
8/8

Challenge; Something made to kill a particular type of creature

Jormengand
2015-05-03, 05:44 PM
Way too much going on, and probably too powerful, and dealing damage to target c/p isn't white or black, and it triggers from your own demons so it'll end the game super-fast. But otherwise, it's okay. :smalltongue:

Going to say that "The type of creature that there are a lot of floating around" is a valid type of creature:

Empathic Obliterator 4BB
Sorcery - R
Destroy target creature and each creature that shares a type with it.
There is not strength in numbers. There is never strength in numbers. Fight as one and you will die as one.

Next: Something with three different possible functions which isn't just a "Choose one."

Warmatt
2015-05-03, 05:55 PM
Originally, was going to have "~ fights it, then regenerates". Should have gone with that really.

Culture Clash 1(B/W)
Sorcery R
Chose a creature you control. All creatures that share a creature type with it gain a +1/+1 counter, and all creatures that do not share a creature type with it gain a -1/-1 counter.
If you spent B on ~, target player with the most -1/-1 counters on creatures they control loses 1 life for each -1/-1 counter on creatures they control.
If you spent W on ~, target player with the most +1/+1 counters on creatures they control gains 1 life for each +1/+1 counter on creatures they control.

Challenge; Something based around a creatures type

Jormengand
2015-05-03, 06:31 PM
On turn four, you can drop Treacherous Pit-Dweller + Culture Clash for the most horrifying combo you ever witnessed, putting a -1/-1 counter on each nondemon, a +1/+1 counter on the pit dweller who is now 5/4 with no drawback, and then you take off a chunk of your opponent's life. Works pretty well with anything that's fairly cheap - if your opponent's running lots of small elves, then turn one swamp shadowborn apostle turn 2 plains culture clash is going to be one-sided wrath, leave you with a 2/2, deal lots of damage to your opponent, and - worst of all - give you a point of life. :smalltongue:

But seriously, it's way too powerful.

Electromagnetic Pulse 1U
Instant - R
Until end of turn, artifacts aren't creatures.

Hey, you said type, not subtype. :smalltongue:

Next: A zero-cost spell.

r2d2go
2015-05-03, 07:13 PM
I like it, but I think I'd like it better as a cantrip (perhaps with a greater cost or limited number of targets), so it's less "sometimes will get stupidly insane value, sometimes will be worthless". Still, cool :smalltongue:

Sleeping Bauble 0
Artifact - U
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ and tap target creature. You draw a card during at the beginning of your next turn's upkeep.

Challenge: Something else that cantrips.

Warmatt
2015-05-04, 07:02 AM
Fairly nice cantriper, nothing to write home about, but solid.

Know-it All 2UU
Creature- Human Wizard UR
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, draw a card.
UU, T- Add a sorcery or instant from target graveyard to your hand.
"Knowledge is power, and she knows more then just about anyone else."
1/3

Challenge; An Ork, or something..... Skaven.

Jormengand
2015-05-04, 09:43 AM
Well, I made the same effect on an enchantment for 4UU, minus the fact that you can return your I/S spells for UU which is pretty powerful. If it's going to be for 2UU, it needs to be on a 1/1 or even 0/1 body. Compare Surrakar Spellblade (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=198310), which only draws the cards if it manages to go face successfully. With 1 Tou. And no evasion. And most of the comments seem to agree that it's hilariously powerful with the right cards to give it that evasion.

Oh, and what the hell is an uncommon rare when it's at home?

Warptoken 3
Artifact - R
T, sacrifice Warptoken: Add 3 to your mana pool and Warptoken deals 3 damage to you.

Next: More mana ramp.

Ninjaman
2015-05-04, 10:39 AM
Flavor makes sence, but it's way too expensive for what it does, especially at rare.

Woodborn - G
Creature - Elemental - U
Forestwalk
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, Woodborn becomes a land forest in addition to it's other types until end of turn.
1/1

Another land-man, or just a man-land.

r2d2go
2015-05-04, 06:39 PM
Well, it's good. I don't know if it's very good, but it's like Llanowar Elves but with Forestwalk and needs lands to drop. I guess that's okay?

Slumbering Plains
Land - Plains U
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T - Add W to your mana pool.
1UU - ~ becomes a 0/5 elemental with "Whenever this blocks another creature, it taps and doesn't tap during its controller's next upkeep" until end of turn. It's still a land.

Challenge: Another card with an activation cost of a different color. Bonus points if it's a land.

Zaydos
2015-05-04, 06:48 PM
Slumbering Plains
Land - Plains U
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
1UU - ~ becomes a 0/5 elemental with "Whenever this blocks another creature, it taps and doesn't tap during its controller's next upkeep" until end of turn. It's still a land.

It's a manland, it's actually weak as a manland, assuming it's supposed to read "Whenever this blocks another creature, it taps that creature and it doesn't untap during its controller's next upkeep". I'd say 2U would be more appropriate, a powerful wall... which requires you to have 4 mana open to use.

Challenge: Another card with an activation cost of a different color. Bonus points if it's a land.

Everion Elf 1G
Creature - Elf Druid R
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
R, T: Draw a card, activate this ability only if you have no cards in hand.

Challenge: Make a Star Trek reference.

Warmatt
2015-05-04, 06:53 PM
Ah, ye classic mana elf, with a red drawing, nice.

Spock 4UUU
Legendary Creature- Vulcan Scientist MR
Hexproof, Vigilance
You have no limit on your hand size, and may draw X cards instead of 1 in your Draw Phase, where X is equal to your devotion to blue.
2UU- Counter target spell, but you have to say "Magic is Illogical"
3/4

Also, in memory of Lenard Nimroy, he shall be missed.

Challenge; Lets go with Star Wars reference :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2015-05-04, 07:29 PM
Un card is un, but repeatable countering for 2UU... un-cards still need to be balanced!

Fear 1WW (Sun, up)
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip Fear.

Anger (Sun, down)
Enchantment - R (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, transform Anger

Hate (Moon, Up)
Enchantment - R (G)
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip Hate

Suffering (Moon, Down)
Enchantment - R (B)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player loses 3 life.

Millennium Falcon 6
Artifact Creature - Starship R
Flash, Haste, Flying
It once made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.
4/3

Next: Another artifact creature.

Zaydos
2015-05-04, 07:40 PM
Fear 1WW (Sun, up)
Enchantment - R
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip Fear.

Anger (Sun, down)
Enchantment - R (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, transform Anger

Hate (Moon, Up)
Enchantment - R (G)
At the beginning of your upkeep, flip Hate

Suffering (Moon, Down)
Enchantment - R (B)
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player loses 3 life.

Normally ]Fear (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?text=+[fear) is Black :smalltongue: Edit: Link removed ] from the html :smallfrown:

Millennium Falcon 6
Artifact Creature - Starship R
Flash, Haste, Flying
It once made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.
4/3

Should be legendary, and get a little more P/T (5/4) for the cost in that case (it's got enough keywords it's hard to balance as colorless).

Next: Another artifact creature.

Incom X-Wing 2RR
Artifact Creature - Starship U
Flying, Haste
~ enters the battlefield with 1 Proton Torpedo counter on it.
Remove a Proton Torpedo Counter from ~, RR: Deal 3 damage to target creature or player.
"An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron."
―General Carlist Rieekan
3/1

Challenge: Make a non-Star Trek/Wars starship.

Jormengand
2015-05-04, 07:51 PM
Heh. I like it, though I would be wary of low-flying proliferates making it really powerful.

Sunrider 5WW
Legendary Artifact Creature - Starship MR
Flying
When Sunrider enters the battlefield, put a 3/1 black legendary artifact creature token with flying and shroud called Phoenix, a 2/2 red legendary artifact creature token with flying and haste called Blackjack and a 1/3 white legendary artifact creature token with flying and lifelink called Liberty onto the battlefield under your control.
5/5

Coulda given it the other three, but that would've got crowded fast.

Next: More token-makers.

r2d2go
2015-05-04, 08:29 PM
I think I would have liked it better with two Proton Torpedos, maybe with a higher cost or lower damage. Still, pretty cool :smalltongue:

Edit: Ninja'd, but it still works. Your might be a little strong, though, with 11/11 of flying guys for 7. Eh, it's split up... Still, maybe it should be slightly nerfed.

Starship Carrier 8
Artifact Creature - R
Flying
3, T - Put a 3/2 Starship artifact creature token with Flying onto the battlefield.
4/7

Challenge: Another big artifact. Bonus points if it's not a creature, but interacts with them.

Ninjaman
2015-05-05, 01:48 AM
I think you could have gotten away with making it cheaper or at least giving it vigilance.

Death Star - 8
Artifact - M
8,T: Destroy all lands and creatures without flying target opponent controls.

Enough with the starwars card, make a LotR card.

Blue Ghost
2015-05-05, 01:55 AM
Mass land destruction locks creatures out of the game. Asymmetrical land destruction leaves a player without any chance of coming back. Repeatable asymmetrical land destruction makes players ragequit. I would make this a one-time one-sided creature wipe, without the land destruction bit. Still suitably epic and powerful, without being completely unbeatable and frustrating to play against.

Black Rider 1BB
Creature - Specter (R)
Flying
Nemesis (When this creature enters the battlefield, choose target player as its nemesis.)
When Black Rider deals combat damage to its nemesis, look at that player's hand and discard a card from it.
3/2

(The keyword is for a multiplayer or archenemy supplement.)

Next: Redwall.

Ninjaman
2015-05-05, 05:39 AM
This is way too strong, even in multiplayer, since it just locks the chosen player out of the game. Generally I find the nemesis to be boring, since it limits interactions.

Wall of Brimstone - 2RR
Creature - Wall - U
Defender
When Wall of Brimstone blocks a creature, you may sacrifice it, if you do, Wall of Brimstone deals 2 damage to each creature without flying that player controls.
2/7

More fire!

Zaydos
2015-05-05, 01:14 PM
Wall of Brimstone - 2RR
Creature - Wall - U
Defender
When Wall of Brimstone blocks a creature, you may sacrifice it, if you do, Wall of Brimstone deals 2 damage to each creature without flying that player controls.
2/7

1 sided pyroclasm would be ~2RR on its own. This is a little worse (doesn't affect flyers) but is also a 2/7 defender. I'd say make it sac for 1 damage to each creature without flying target player controls, or make it more expensive to play in the first place.

More fire!

Hellfire Nightmares 1RB
Sorcery
Target player discards a card and ~ deals damage to that player or target creature they control equal to the converted mana of the discarded card.
When dreams become real, nightmares become deadly.

Challenge: Ice!

Warmatt
2015-05-05, 01:33 PM
So, a discard and burn? Nice.

Icecrown Citadel
Legendary Snow Land MR
T- Add S or B or R to your mana pool.
T- Place X 1/1 Black Skeleton creature tokens with "Morbid- If a creature died this turn, place 2 +1/+1 counters on ~" onto the field, where X equals the number of creature cards in each players graveyard.
BB, T- Regenerate all Skeletons, Zombies and Ghosts you control.

Challenge; A legendary Land

Ninjaman
2015-05-05, 02:28 PM
First of you don't seem to know how snow mana works. Second this card tries to do way too much, a land, even a legendary one, should do one thing (besides tapping for one mana that is.) Also this is an untapped dual land with no downside besides being legendary, that's too good. Oh, and the token generating ability should definately cost some mana, a lot at that.

Tomb of the Ghost Lord
Legendary Land - M
Tomb of the Ghost Lord enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
Threshold - 2BB, T, Sacrifice Tomb of the Ghost Lord: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.

Make something else with threshold.

Zaydos
2015-05-06, 11:53 AM
Tomb of the Ghost Lord
Legendary Land - M
Tomb of the Ghost Lord enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
Threshold - 2BB, T, Sacrifice Tomb of the Ghost Lord: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only if seven or more cards are in your graveyard.

So with threshold it lets you sac a land and pay 5 mana (you have to tap it) to do something normally costing 4 mana. Sure it's Instant speed, but you also lose a mana the turn it comes out. It could work as a non-legendary Uncommon, maybe Rare, or as a Legendary Rare if it came in untapped, but as is it's a disappointing Mythic.

Make something else with threshold.

Gravegrowth Thallid 2G
Creature - Fungus C
At the beginning of your upkeep put a Spore counter on ~.
Remove 3 Spore Counters from ~: Put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield under your control.
Threshold - Remove 3 Spore Counters from ~: Put two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield under target player's control.

Challenge: Make something fun in multiplayer.

Jormengand
2015-05-06, 12:57 PM
Probably too complex to be common. Otherwise... I guess okay?

Legio Infernus 3RRR
Legendary Creature - Avatar MR
Any player can block Legio Infernus.
If Legio Infernus would deal combat damage to an opponent, they deal the same amount of combat damage to all opponents instead.
6/4

Next: Another avatar.

r2d2go
2015-05-07, 12:39 AM
Huh. I think it deserves to be a 6/6 at least, since it's almost guaranteed to be blocked in multiplayer, and has no effect in a 1v1. Maybe add some keywords (first strike and trample come to mind)? Eh.

Thorngage's Echo 2RUB
Creature - Avatar Horror U
Deathtouch, Haste
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, draw a card.
2/5

Challenge: Another Horror.

Warmatt
2015-05-07, 04:54 PM
Nice damage and Draw, makes sense.

Graveborn Whisperer 3BBUU
Enchantment Creature- Spirit Horror R
Whenever a non-token creature is destroyed, place a copy with a -1/-1 counter into play, with Spirit and Enchantment in addition to it's other types
Tribute 2 (When ~ enters play, opponents may place 2 +1/+1 counters on ~)
If tribute was not paid, whenever a Spirit you control deals damage, return target instant or sorcery from your graveyard to your hand
"It whispers of dark things, of terrible necromantic lore, and in our lust for power, we damned ourselves by listening."
3/3

Challenge; Something that feels necromantic, but is not a wizard, or a traditionally undead creature sub-type.

Jormengand
2015-05-07, 05:06 PM
You should really look up cards with similar effects for wording. It should look like:

Graveborn Whisperer 3UUBB
Enchantment Creature- Spirit Horror R
Whenever a non-token creature dies, put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield onto the battlefield under your control. It's an enchantment and a spirit in addition to its other types. Put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Tribute 2 (When ~ enters play, any opponent may place 2 +1/+1 counters on ~)
If tribute was not paid, put a Spirit counter on this creature.
If this creature has a Spirit counter on it, whenever a Spirit you control deals damage, return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand
"It whispers of dark things, of terrible necromantic lore, and in our lust for power, we damned ourselves by listening."
3/3

Anyway, apart from being really complicated, it's... okay? I mean, someone can just not pay the tribute and deal with it by shock+pinging it down, but if they have no removal it becomes nasty. Not sure I like it being a situational bomb.

Engraved Urn 4
Artifact R
Whenever a creature dies, put a power counter on Engraved Urn.
Sacrifice Engraved Urn: add 1 to your mana pool for each power counter on Engraved Urn.

Next: Another artifact.

TiaC
2015-05-08, 05:05 PM
Hm, interesting idea, but it feels a little weak. I'd either make it cost 3 or make it colored mana, possibly both at rare.

Portrait of Dorian Grey 3
Artifact R
Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Portrait of Dorian Grey is paired with another creature, any effect that would target that creature targets Portrait of Dorian Grey instead.
As long as Portrait of Dorian Grey is paired with another creature, any damage that would be dealt to that creature is dealt to Portrait of Dorian Grey instead.
Defender
0/6

Make another literary reference.

Jormengand
2015-05-09, 09:01 AM
So it's a 0/6 defender which protects another creature pretty well, as well as being able to block on its own. Not sure that it shouldn't cost more.

For Whom the Bell Tolls 4BB
Enchantment R
Whenever a creature dies, For Whom the Bell Tolls destroys each creature that shared a creature type with it.
A man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls: it tolls for thee.

Next: Something else with a bell.

r2d2go
2015-05-10, 03:41 PM
Huh. Well it turns a death into a potential board wipe, so, good enough as a vs tribal sideboard maybe?

Church Belltower
Land - Plains U
~ comes into play tapped.
W, T - Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature.
In Innistrad, "saved by the bell" has somewhat more meaning.

Challenge: Another land.

Zaydos
2015-05-10, 03:57 PM
Church Belltower
Land - Plains U
W, T - Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature.
In Innistrad, "saved by the bell" has somewhat more meaning.

Functional, though I'd not give it the Plains subtype; makes it too easy to landfetch amongst other things.

Challenge: Another land.

Beast Den
Land U
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
G, T: Target Beast gains +2/+2 until end of turn.

Challenge: Something that grants trample.

Jormengand
2015-05-10, 04:52 PM
Hmm... if you weren't essentially paying 1G for it, I'd be worried that it was a bit much, but it's on par with black growth effects of the same cost so sure.

Overkill! 1G
Enchantment - R
Creatures have +2/+0 and trample.
"Some people die long before they realise they're dead."

Next: Another cheap rare.

Ionbound
2015-05-10, 05:57 PM
Decent growth effect, not bad. Maybe a little undercosted for what it does, but it seems fine. I'm definitely run it in a high-toughness low-attack deck.

Song of the Howlpack-1GR

Tribal Enchantment-Werewolf

Humans you control have +1/+1 and are werewolves in addition to their other types.

Those who hear the song of the howlpack are already damned.

Challenge: Create a card supporting an underused Tribe.

braveheart
2015-05-10, 07:38 PM
Interesting thought, combining werewolf tribal and human

Viashino Commander2RR
Creature-Viashino-R
First strike
Other Viashino that you control have +2/+0 and first strike
5/3

Viashino tribal

r2d2go
2015-05-10, 08:02 PM
5/3 first strike is already quite good for 4 - adding a very potent tribal effect pushes this possibly over the top. I'd make it +1/+1 - it's more standard among Lords and reduces the power.

Viashino Raid-leader 1RR
Creature - Viashino R
T - Viashino gain Dash 1R until end of turn.
Viashino you control get +1/+1.
2/2

Like Incandescent Soulstoke, but Viashino rarely get past CMC 4 and don't have an Evoke theme, so I buffed it a bit.

Challenge: Another lord roughly translated into another tribal.

Warmatt
2015-05-10, 08:09 PM
Decent enough, though I don't know what Dash is.

Orc Bonereader 2BR
Creature- Orc Shaman R
When you scry, flip a coin. If heads, orcs you control gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn. If tails, they get -1/-0 instead.
Sacrifice a creature, T- Scry 2
2/2

Challenge; Another Shaman

r2d2go
2015-05-12, 07:22 PM
There's a few problems with this. Not only is it a coin flipper, it averages to a health buff, which is not very orcish. It also sacrifices creatures for a distinctly meh ability, and doesn't at all support the aggressive kind of play black-red tends to. This seems more like a U/B card, to be honest.

Reader of Sparks 1UR
Creature - Shaman U
Whenever you scry, you may deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
2/2

Challenge: Something else that pings.

Warmatt
2015-05-12, 07:46 PM
A decent scry and die based card, or at the least, a scry and maim.

Blood Reader 2BR
Creature- Orc Shaman R
When a creature you control deals combat damage, scry X, where X is that creatures power
Sacrifice a creature, T- X creatures you control fight X target creatures you don't control, where X is the sacrificed creatures power.
"Da omens in da blood speak of blood, war and death. GIT TA KILLIN!"
3/3

This should work better.

Challenge; Something that says blood magic.

Jormengand
2015-05-14, 06:44 AM
That could easily be quite powerful - getting multiple fights and basically scrying all the cards you're likely to draw for the rest of the game.

Lord Sanguine 6(W/B)(W/B)
Lifelink, indestructible
Lord Sanguine's power and toughness are always equal to your life.
If Lord Sanguine would take damage, you lose that much life instead.
*/*

Next: Another avatar.

Warmatt
2015-05-14, 07:19 AM
An avatar with lifelink and indestructible that's tied to your life total? Very W/B, and very nice :smallbiggrin:

Smug, Pug Boss 2(W/B)(W/B)(W/B)
Legendary Creature- Pug Avatar MR
Extort, indestructible
Spells you cast have Extort
When you Extort, you may deal 1 damage to target creature instead of target player
"It may be adorable, but you have to admit, it always gets what it wants."
2/2

By the wording, it should give all permanents besides lands Extort, and even give your sorceries and instants the chance to add on Extort, while making it a bit more flexible in what it hurts.

Challenge; Something with Extort and flavor text.

Jormengand
2015-05-14, 07:42 AM
Memory issues, because it only gives the spells extort as you cast them as written - maybe "Nonland permanents you control have extort"? Also, "When you extort" doesn't work because Extort is a keyword, not a keyword action.

Alacastra, the Lifeeater 4WWBB
Legendary creature - Spirit MR
Extort, Extort, Extort, Extort, Extort, Extort, Flying, Indestructible.
Everything is yours, and what's yours is mine.
5/5

Next: Something else with multiple copies of the same thing.

Ninjaman
2015-05-14, 09:08 AM
Six instances is way too much, you can too easily cast a 1CMC card and drain for 6, and with indestructible it is too hard to get rid off.

Mealstrom Malfunction - WUBRG
Sorcery - M
Cascade, Cascade, Cascade

Something else with cascade.

braveheart
2015-05-14, 12:34 PM
Interesting, and worth it, but I don't know if I'd ever use it

The Third Storm 3RUG
Creature-R
Cascade
When ~ enters the battlefield, create 2 copies of the last spell you cast, you may select new targets for each copy
3/3

Cascade occurs when you cast a spell, so it goes on top of the stack and resolved before the spell with cascade resolves, the spell you cascade into resolves, or you could cast an instant to copy it instead

Jormengand
2015-05-14, 01:42 PM
See, I feel that might be too much. It's entirely possible that you'll grab another 6-drop and copy it twice. However, trying to copy a permanent won't actually do anything, so there's that. However, you can straight-up cast a 5-crop turn 5 and this turn 6, choose not to cascade the spell unless it's better than the 5-drop you just cast, and then copy the 5-drop twice. So in fact it's definitely too much, and has memory issues on top of that.

Unfinished Business 1B
Sorcery - R
Put -1/-1 counters on target creature until it has a toughness of 1 or less.

Next: Something that would interact well with Unfinished Business.

Warmatt
2015-05-14, 01:48 PM
Nice, hammers a creature until they get ready for the kill.

Finished Business 1RB
Instant- R
Deal 1 damage to target creature. It cannot be regenerated, and loses Indestructible. If Finished Business would destroy it, deal X damage to target player, were X is the number of -1/-1 counters on the destroyed creature.
"Damn amateurs, leaving the job mostly done."

Challenge; Something Gang or Crime inspired

r2d2go
2015-05-14, 08:20 PM
"If it would" is used for replacement effects. In this case, the problem is that the spell doesn't destroy, the damage does . You probably want this to say "destroy target creature with 1 toughness". Also, it's far too weak - putting a -1/-1 counter on a creature is basically the same without the bonus damage, which honestly will happen incredibly infrequently.

Krenko's Ringleader 2R
Creature - Goblin U
Whenever ~ attacks, put two 1/1 goblin tokens onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. Exile them at the end of turn.
2/2

Challenge: Another card that references a lord in the name.

onasuma
2015-05-15, 06:04 AM
I would love to see this printed. Probably its a bit too tough given the logical comparison is to bettleback chief and the potential for this to trigger the plethora of ETB and LTB effects goblins have. Probably better to increase the cost by 1 or remove 1 of the tokens.

Talrands Herald 2UU
Creature - Merfolk Wizard U
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have target creature an opponent controls lose flying until end of turn.
Its essential to provide the weather for when the drakes come.
2/3

Challenge: Create a card from one tribe that hates on another tribe.

Warmatt
2015-05-15, 12:14 PM
Nice, a good little blue debuff, gets the opposing air force grounded.

Bloody Hand of Grummush 3RRBB
Legendary Creature- Orc Avatar MR
Provoke Elves (When ~ attacks, all Elves able to block ~ must do so), Rampage 3, First Strike, Haste
Whenever ~ destroys an elf, Regenerate ~ and place a +1/+1 counter on ~. If ~ has at least 3 +1/+1 counters, it has trample. If ~ has at least 5 counters, ~ has Wither Elves (Damage dealt to elves is in the form of -1/-1 counters). If ~ has at least 10 +1/+1 counters, Elves lose and cannot gain Protection from Black, Red or Orcs.
"Kill them all! Spill their blood, feast on their flesh! Slaughter them all in the name of Grummush!"
5/3

Challenge; Another avatar of a god.

Jormengand
2015-05-15, 01:00 PM
Hmm... probably too much stuff, and it only needs one of the anti-elf abilities. Work on having less stuff in your cards, like, I dunno:

The Penderach 4UU
Legendary Creature - Avatar Skeleton R
Defender
Whenever you would draw a card, draw two cards instead.
The cardinals stand around the Pendrach's corpse, staging elaborate rituals to convince each other that God somehow approves of their motives.
0/8

Next: Another defender.

Warmatt
2015-05-15, 01:12 PM
A decent enough shield and draw card, and a nice bit of flavor text to round it off.

Guardian Grey Troll 3GG
Creature- Troll Spirit R
Defender, Reach
When ~ destroys a creature it blocks, Regenerate ~.
"Tough and solid, they seem to clean up after themselves as well."
4/4

Challenge; A spirit or arcane card.

Ninjaman
2015-05-15, 06:27 PM
That sadly doesn't work. By the time the ability resolves it will already be dead.

Hopefull Watcher - 2W
Creature - Spirit Soldier - C
Vigilance
When Hopefull Watcher enters the battlefield, gain 3 life.
It has stood in the top of the tower for a hundred years, hoping that one day the gate will open and it can go home.
2/3

An elemental.

Warmatt
2015-05-15, 09:21 PM
A night enough white with vigilance and life gain.

Burning Hatred 2RB
Creature- Elemental Spirit R
When you play an Spirit or Arcane spell, deal 2 damage to target creature or player
Landfall- Target creature fights another creature the same player controls
2/2

Challenge; Something with landfall.

Ninjaman
2015-05-16, 02:29 AM
The abilities have no synergy or flavor together, the card should cost 1 less and only do one. Also colors are a bit off, burn would be mono red and fight either mono green or G/R.

Mountain Titan - 3RR
Creature - Giant - R
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target creature can't block this turn.
4/4

Make another simple rare.

Jormengand
2015-05-16, 06:18 AM
See, it's a little worse than just choosing a creature each turn that can't block (barring Azusa shenanigans or evolving wilds, etc.) and I think that that would be a fair ability for it... so actually, yeah, it's good, because if you do have stuff that synergises with it, it works well, and if you don't, it's mediocre.

Ultimate Knowledge 4UU
Sorcery - R
Scry your library. (All of it.)
I am the knower of my future, the master of my fate.

Next: Another rare or mythic with no more than six words of ability + reminder text.

Blue Ghost
2015-05-16, 02:00 PM
Taking the time rearranging your entire library, and eliminating all variance from all your draws for the rest of the game, sound really unfun.

Expiration 4BB
Sorcery
Target player discards their hand.

Next: A combat trick.

r2d2go
2015-05-17, 05:26 PM
Well, it's alright. Mind Sludge costs B less and does about the same thing, though.

Supported Growth WG
Instant - U
Target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is another target creature you control's toughness.
"Growing up together" often means something different in Selesnya.

Challenge: Something else with a variable.

Jormengand
2015-05-17, 05:43 PM
"The another target creature you control" is either incorrect wording, or needs to be changed to something else so it doesn't sound quite as stupid. Okay, so ninja edits. Anyway, it seems pretty powerful - an instant that can block and kill and trample on a creature for 2, or that can mash up a would be blocker (and again trample them) is a lot. Maybe cost it one higher.

Variable Acceleration 3RRGG
Sorcery - MR (Un)
Variable Acceleration deals s damage to up to ut target creatures or players, then you add t2/2 to your mana pool, where s is the highest power among creatures you control, u is the lowest toughness among creatures you control, and t is the number of artifacts you control.
Gotcha! - If an opponent points out that's the constant acceleration formula, not the variable acceleration formula, you may say "Gotcha." If you do, you may return Variable Acceleration to your hand.

I'm sorry, I've been doing too much mechanics recently.

Next: Another un-card, or something else generally silly.

r2d2go
2015-05-17, 08:27 PM
I... I have no idea how to judge this :smalltongue: too many things going on. And it's Un. I guess it's restricted by needing three types of things? It would do a ridiculous amount of stuff if it gets off though.

Laughter WU
Enchantment - Aura U
When ~ enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
Enchanted creature's controller gains 1 life during their upkeep.

Challenge: Something serious.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-17, 08:44 PM
As amusing as Acceleration is, it's still a red/green card that's unusable unless you control an artifact; 0 artifacts means up to 0 targets, add 0 to your mana pool. Red/green is the exact opposite of the colors that like artifacts, and the only condition where it would have a place would be in a limited Un- environment with a ton of artifact creatures. I do like the idea of an Un-card featuring a quadratic equation, though. It just feels more like an Izzet idea than a Gruul one.

Laughter's nice. It's a decent removal spell and good for an Un-set. I almost want it to gain life whenever someone laughs, but it would be hard to avoid abuse.

Field Operative - 3
Artifact Creature - Construct U
W, T, Sacrifice Field Operative: Open target unopened booster pack you own or from the prize pool. Search that pack for a white card, reveal it, write it down, and put it into your hand. (Return that card to its proper place at the end of the game.)
2/2

I was going to change this for being non-serious, but I can't think of a better idea right now, and I think it could work seriously enough in its own environs, so...

Challenge! Make a card that would be good to have in your sideboard. (That is, one that you are likely to want in your deck against some opponents, but not others.)

Ninjaman
2015-05-18, 07:48 AM
It shouldn't allow you to open boosters from the prize pool, just boosters you own.

Sprouting Steel - GW
Instant - U
Destroy two target artifact. Each player put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield for each artifact he controls that is destroyed this way.

Another sideboard card.

ezkajii
2015-05-21, 11:34 AM
Makes sense to me. I feel like it could probably get away with being 2G or [2/W]G instead, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it as is. I'd love to see a strive/kicker version of Sprouting Steel.

Gate Seal XXWWW
Enchantment - R
~ enters the battlefield with X quest counters on it.
WW, T: Place a quest counter on ~.
Whenever a player pays a card's Flashback cost, that player must immediately spend an additional amount of mana equal to the number of quest counters on ~ or exile that card instead.

Let's keep the sideboard challenge going!

Jormengand
2015-05-21, 12:03 PM
Are there even any decks that require Flash cards to work?

Blinding Glory 1W
Sorcery - U
Tap each black creature.
When the army of the righteous goes forth, let none stand in its path.

Next: Another card costing only 2 total.

Ninjaman
2015-05-21, 03:25 PM
Seems very weak, could easily get away with costing 1 less.

Rakan hammerer - GR
Creature - Human Berserker - R
Haste, trample
2/2

Make something else for an aggro deck.

Warmatt
2015-05-21, 03:36 PM
A nice cheap, rush and trample.

Goblin Warsage 1RR
Creature- Goblin Shaman R
When you control at least three goblins, Goblins you control have Haste
When you control at least six goblins, Goblins you control have Doublestrike
Whe you control at least nine goblins, Goblins you control have Trample
"They only get worse once they study war... and swarm tactics are almost all they use"
2/2

Challenge; A lord type card

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-23, 02:19 AM
It's neat, and powerful enough to attract attention, but not quite as effective as you might think. The haste is already about enough to justify the card, and double strike is so potent that it might actually be too bonkers to print in practice... but the trample on the capstone doesn't make much difference at all. Think about it: if you have nine goblins, chances are they're all pretty small - too small to trample over much of anything, damage-wise. If they are big enough to trample, then between that, double-strike and overwhelming numbers you've probably already won.

Golden-Flock Commander 2WW
Creature - Bird Soldier R
Flying, Vigilance
Other Birds you control get +0/+2 and have vigilance.
3/3

Challenge! Make one of those green anti-flying cards.

r2d2go
2015-05-24, 04:22 AM
Well, it's pretty good :smalltongue: it's very good at letting you attack safely with your birds - normally, if you attack with your little birds, they'll die for free and leave you open to counterattack, but with this, they'll likely survive and be up for blocking. Probably not overpowered, but if birds were more of a tribal, it might be.

Leaping Bite 1G
Instant - U
Target creature without flying fights target creature with flying. If the creature with flying dies this turn, put two +1/+1 counters on the creature without flying.
Tastes like chicken.

Challenge: Something else that uses counters.

Jormengand
2015-05-24, 02:37 PM
Memory issues, needs to say "Dies this turn." Remember that fighting doesn't actually kill anything.

Dispel Scroll 2
Artifact U
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, put a charge counter on Dispel Scroll.
Remove 5 charge counters from Dispel Scroll and sacrifice it: Counter target spell.

I hope that's enough counters for you.

Next: A planeswalker.

r2d2go
2015-05-24, 11:22 PM
That's enough counters for bonus points! Anyway, it's pretty good. At 2 colorless, any deck can use it, and since eventually it becomes a hard counter, it's potentially very strong. And while your opponents do know that it will arm in 5 spells, it restricts them to either not playing their big game-winners or not playing spells until they have the mana for those game-winners. It's decent :smalltongue:

Niv-Mizzet, Sparkcrafter 2UURR
Legendary Creature - Dragon M
Flying
Whenever you draw a card, deal 1 damage to target creature or player and put a loyalty counter on ~. When ~ has 5 loyalty counters, transform him.
5/5

Niv-Mizzet, Ascended
Planeswalker M
+2 - You gain an emblem with "Exile this emblem: Counter target spell or ability."
-5 - Deal 1 damage to each creature you don't control and each opponent. Draw a card for each creature or player damaged this way.
-9 - You gain an emblem that says "At the beginning of each turn, draw any number of cards, then shuffle your graveyard into your library."

Challenge: Another legendary creature turned planeswalker.

Ionbound
2015-05-24, 11:35 PM
Huh. That's a pretty cool Walker-Mizzet, though it might be slightly overpowering with the draw capability.

Thalia, Knight-Cathar-2WW

Legendary Creature-Human Soldier-MR

Fateful Hour When ~ enters the battlefield, transform it.

Whenever a human creature is summoned, place one loyalty counter on ~. If ~ has four or more loyalty counters on it, transform it.

Thalia, Guardian of Innistrad

Planeswalker-Thalia

+1: Place a 1/1 Human Soldier token on the battlefield under your control.
-2: Humans you control have +1/+1 until the end of the turn.
-8: Gain an emblem saying, 'All humans you control have +3/+3

People of Innistrad, I will return.

Challenge: I like these. Create another legendary that transforms into a planeswalker.

Jormengand
2015-05-25, 06:54 PM
You need to spell the Fateful Hour out in full, and anyway, wouldn't that transform her with no loyalty counters on?

Veldani Capitol
Legendary Land - City MR
One eye open - When you draw a card, put a loyalty counter on Veldani Capitol. Then, if it has 5 or more loyalty counters on, transform it.

Aspiring Sorceress (UPB)
Planeswalker - Trianna MR
+1: Draw a card and exile a card from your hand.
-2: The next time you cast a spell this turn, put it back in your hand.
-9: Exile each opponent's hand.

Omen of Salvation 4WW
Legendary Enchantment MR
Whenever you gain life, put a loyalty counter on Omen of Salvation. Then, if it has 8 or more loyalty counters on, transform it.

Immortal Soul
Planeswalker - Immortal MR
+3: You gain 5 life.
-8: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you this turn.
-18: You gain an emblem with "You can't lose life".

Next: Something three colours.

r2d2go
2015-05-25, 09:17 PM
So the first one, you miss a land drop in exchange for a... kinda bad planeswalker? Like, it's somewhere around Tibalt, maybe a bit better. So, I guess it's alright, though it could probably come in tapped and force a pay 1 (like Transguild Promenade/Rupture Spire) and tap for those three colors.

The alternative is really bad. Obviously, if you manage to use it for five turns and ult, it's got a neat pretty much auto-win effect. On the other hand, it costs 6 mana, doesn't do anything until it's a walker, and the -8 is pretty close to a plain Fog. 5 life on the +3 is pretty nice, but not enough to justify 6 mana.

Steam-Trunk Weird URG
Creature - Weird U
Whenever you cast a creature, instant or sorcery spell, untap ~.
U, T - ~ is unblockable until end of turn.
R, T - ~ gets doublestrike until end of turn.
G, T - ~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
1/1

Challenge: Something else weird.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-25, 09:30 PM
So, is it supposed to be an elephant, or like, a storage chest? :smalltongue: It's not all that powerful, really; you'll be racking up a pretty sizable storm count by the time it does much of anything. I do like this idea of untapping and self-buffs with tap costs, though... this might just end up as a rare due to its complexity.

Xenophobia 2BB
Enchantment - R
All creatures have Intimidate.
Everyone fears what they don't understand.

Challenge! Make a single-color, common creature that refers to exactly one other color in its text.

r2d2go
2015-05-25, 09:58 PM
Both and neither! It's got a mechanic elephant trunk, a storage trunk in the back, and tree trunk front legs that end in wooden wheels. The body, most of its head and its back legs are like a train, and it's got a laser instead of a headlight. Gotta love weirds :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, this could probably either be "creatures you control" and cost 1 more or cost 1 less - in black aggro, the lower cost makes it more viable (and more worth of rare-power, I'd peg this at uncommon at the moment), while in black control, you don't want your opponents finishing you off. Still, pretty cool.

Gruul Vineburner 1G
Creature - Human Shaman C
R - ~ gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
2/2

Or, if you meant it actually uses the color word,

Gruul Vineburner 1G
Creature - Human Shaman C
If you control a red permanent, ~ gets +2/+0.
1/2

Challenge: Another common, but this time, big.

ezkajii
2015-05-26, 10:11 AM
Not too powerful, not too complicated, but still something I'd play with. I think I prefer the second version.

Ironwood Treant 5GG
Creature - Plant C
Trample, protection from red
7/7

Next: An artifact that references one or more colors

braveheart
2015-05-26, 12:56 PM
Protection is not really a common level ability unless it is reflected in the man's cost, protection from a color should be rare at least, and on top of that a 7/7 trample is a pretty good common for 7 mana. Also protection is rarely green. If the card were a rate it would be appropriate though

Growing Totem 4
Artifact
Anytime a green creature enters the battlefield under your control, untap a Forrest
the forest has life, and power, and by bringing it more life it will give you more power

A green creature that produces tokens of some kind

Warmatt
2015-05-26, 01:11 PM
That's a fairly good land build artifact, and works well with some green cards.

Great Sow 4GG
Creature- Beast R
Haste, Trample
GG, T- Place a 3/3 Green Boar token with trample into play. Then Populate.
"She's big and mean, but whats worse, she has a whole lotta kids."
5/5

Challenge; Something based of Conan the Barbarian.

Jormengand
2015-05-26, 02:20 PM
That is quite a lot of kids, and given that 2 3/3s for GG and no cards is nasty in the first instance, it's probably too much.

Rage RR
Instant - U
Target creature you control gets +X/-X until end of turn, where you choose the value of X.
Draw a card.

Next: Something where colours are important.

braveheart
2015-05-27, 12:59 PM
I like it, it's a nice combat trick and would do well

Blank Canvas XW
Artifact- R
For every color of mana used to cast Blank Canvas put a charge counter on it
T: exile target creature with a CMC less than or equal to the number of charge counters on ~, as long as ~ remains tapped
You may choose not to untap ~ during your untap step
"Some artists are so skilled that they can use a blank canvas to physically capture their subject"

Something that is technically mono color

ezkajii
2015-05-27, 02:29 PM
That's... that's really cool. Elegant. Useful early game and mid-game, never breaks the game (that I can see); I like it. Good flavor too.

Flourishing Biodiversity 2G
Sorcery U
Proliferate all non-green creatures you control.

Next: an Instant with three or more colors

r2d2go
2015-05-27, 02:49 PM
Proliferate can't be used in that way - it has a defined meaning and is something a player, not a permanent, does. Also, even if it did work it'd be quite underpowered, considering you get that plus draw a card or two for the same cost (Steady Progress/Tezzeret's Gambit).

Sphinx' Judgement WUB
Instant - R
Choose one:
- Exile target creature.
- Sacrifice a creature, then draw three cards.
- Counter target spell.

Challenge: Another modal card.

Jormengand
2015-05-27, 03:17 PM
Hmm... yep, functional, works, it's good. Wary of the possibility of nixing a token (that may be about to die anyway) for the draw 3, though.

The Beasts we Hunt 2GG
Sorcery - U
Put 2 2/2 green bear creature tokens onto the battlefield under your control. Bluff. If you win the bluff, put another 2/2 green bear token onto the battlefield under your control. (To bluff, name a card. Your opponent guesses whether that card is in your hand or not. If they're wrong, you may reveal your hand; if you do you win the bluff.)

Hey, bluff counts as two modes, right?

Next: Something else with bluff.

braveheart
2015-05-27, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure if it would count, but it's similar at least

Goblin's Gambit 1R
Instant - U
Bluff
If you win the bluff, draw 2 cards
If you lose the bluff discard a card
(To bluff name a card. Target opponent guesses whether or not the card is in your hand, if the opponent is incorrect, you may reveal your hand, if you do you win the bluff)

I adjusted the wording slightly so that the mechanic can work in multiplayer games

Something directed towards multiplayer play, that is still useful in 1v1 play as well

Jormengand
2015-05-27, 07:35 PM
Honestly, it would be fine if it drew one card on a failed bluff and you'd just wasted your 1R. Discarding on a failure, it's 1R to have a half chance of getting a card and a half chance of losing 2.

Hold it! 2U
Instant - R (Un)
You immediately stop playing and play a single hand of Texas Hold'em with everyone else still in the game. Each player with a worse hand than you discards two cards (From their Magic hand)

Next: A blue-white card.

r2d2go
2015-05-27, 09:04 PM
To be honest, it seems a lot more black than blue. Maybe "You draw a card for each player your hand beats"? In any case, it's pretty bad in single player seeing as discard to for 3 is a thing, so I'm not sure how well it fits the challenge, but it's alright.

Cease 3WWUU
Instant - R
Exile all spells and creatures.
No.

Challenge: Something else with 5 or less words, but no keywords.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-27, 11:40 PM
Cease seems fun. A board wipe at instant speed is already worth 7 much of the time, since you get to untap first afterwards. I'm not sure what you'd want to counter with it other than a creature, but hitting a fancy enchantment or something would be a neat bonus, and the function makes the UU still feel necessary.

Skidcleaver - 3B
Creature - Ogre Barbarian C
Sacrifice a permanent: untap Skidcleaver
The more he kills, the more he destroys. Or maybe it's the other way around? Shoot, okay, let me think about this...
3/3

Challenge! Make a single-color combat trick with a converted mana cost of 4.

ezkajii
2015-05-28, 09:21 AM
It certainly works. It's nice and simple, and I can see his ability being useful against freeze/sleep U effects.

Flanking 3R
Instant - U
Creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.
Any number of attacking creatures you control gain +1/+0 for each other attacking creature you control until end of turn.

(I'm reasonably sure that wording isn't MTG-correct, but I can't think of how you're supposed to say that.)

Next: Something eldrazi

Ninjaman
2015-05-28, 09:56 AM
I would think this would need to be rare due to how powerfull it is in limited. I would word it "Attacking creatures you control get +1/+0 for each other attackign creature, and gain first strike until end of turn." That said it's a nice card.

Ulamog's Prophet - 1G
Creature - Elf Druid - R
T: Add 2 to your mana pool, spend this mana only to cast eldrazi spells.
Ulamog's Prophet gains annihilator 1 as long as you control a creature with annihilator
1/1

Something else tribal

mystic1110
2015-05-28, 02:58 PM
Why is this green instead of colorless or black? I just don't see how annihilator fits on a green card.

Redemption of a Sinner 1WW
Enchantment - Aura U
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't attack or block.
Enchanted creature has "At the beginning of your upkeep, if an opponent controls an Angel, that opponent gains 5 life."

Create a creature without defender and with 0 power - X power does not count.

Jormengand
2015-05-28, 03:29 PM
So, it's a Bound in Silence that's strictly better through having a really, really powerful extra ability (equivalent to 1-2 mana and a card every turn you have an angel). It's more powerful than is really healthy.

Serf 1W
Creature - Human C
Intercepts (When another creature would take damage, you may have Serf take some or all of that damage instead)
When Serf enters the battlefield, draw a card.
The serf knows two things: To work the fields, and to obey.
0/1

Next: A card with an effect that's not usually in that colour, but has a good reason to be (Such as Mana Tithe).

r2d2go
2015-05-28, 04:03 PM
Ehhh... It basically negates one instance of damage. Could probably cost 2W or WW, since as-is it's pretty strong for a cantrip. It could pass at W if you made it only absorb 1 point of damage.

Volatile Gifts R
Enchantment - U
Cumulative Upkeep - Each opponent gains 1 life. Then, if ~ has 6 or more time counters, sacrifice it.
1R - Flip a coin. If heads, whenever target player would gain life this turn, ~ deals that much damage to them instead.

Challenge: Something else with a cumulative upkeep.

mystic1110
2015-05-28, 04:31 PM
It needs a use this ability only once this turn language otherwise, its a win con all on its own . . .

Belith, Lord of the Djinn 5UB
Legendary Creature - Djinn
Cumulative upkeep - Choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand. (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)
Flying
3/5

Create another Djinn

r2d2go
2015-05-28, 05:35 PM
Replacement effects can't replace things more than once, so it won't stack multiple times. If you could only use it once, it'd be pretty awful, since it averages to nothing even if you spend your mana. I added a sacrifice clause at 6 time counters, though, to make it worse in, uh, red control?

It's kind of insane. This is basically win the game in two turns in non-tournament settings, and even in a tournament, you get your sideboard. Probably needs some sort of nerf. Cool idea though.

Sparkstorm Djinn 3UR
Creature - Djinn R
Flying
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery, ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/4

Challenge: Something else that uses instants or sorceries.

Warmatt
2015-05-28, 07:54 PM
A decent flying that would kill with death touch and a heavy sorcery/instant deck.

Goblin Warmage 2RU
Creature- Goblin Warrior Wizard R
Each attacking goblin is treated as an instant cast at the beginning of the combat phase for Storm.
Instants and Sorceries you control have Storm
"He channels the power of the goblin horde into a storm of magic."
2/2

Okay, meant to add each attacking goblin to the stack as far as Storm goes, and then it gives all sorcery and instants in your hand storm.

Challenge; Something with Storm or Gravestorm

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-28, 11:26 PM
0_0 Nope, nope, nopenopneopneooneopneopneopnope. This thing has problems simply because it's so powerful. It leads to sudden, easy, incidental wins that your opponent can do nearly nothing about, in a type of deck - namely goblins - that could already work on its own. Just drop this guy, attack with a few tokens, and cast one lightning bolt. Maybe two. The flavor is fun, but you'll need to find a different way of expressing it to avoid the insta-win issue. ...also, anything that grants storm - even with a cost - should probably be mythic just for its craziness.

Visceral Knowledge 3BB
Sorcery - MR
You draw a card and you lose 2 life.
Gravestorm

Challenge! Make a 1-mana thing that you don't usually want to play on turn 1.

Jormengand
2015-05-29, 05:37 AM
Huh. That's quite clever. I like it.

Unstable Voidling P
Creature - Purgator U
When you control no other creatures, exile unstable voidling.
3/2

Unstable Fiend B
Creature - Demon U
When you control no other creatures, sacrifice unstable fiend.
3/2

Next: Something to do with mana costs.

Ninjaman
2015-05-29, 09:00 AM
I like the black one. Can be quite powerful but the downside is pretty massive so it is probably fine.

Slay the Weak - B
Instant - U
Destroy target creature with converted mana cost 2 or less.
Every one is either a master, a slave, or meat.
- Nicol Bolas

Something with lands

@V Unsummon kills tokens. That shouldn't be a problem.

r2d2go
2015-05-29, 12:28 PM
That's could be quite strong with token-killing. Depending on the block it would be printed in, it might need to say nontoken creature. Otherwise, neat :smalltongue:

Edit @^: True, but I would think Unsummon wouldn't be printed either if big tokens are a large part of the set. Not unless they wanted blue to have 1 mana hard removal.

Dimir Headquarters
Land - U
T - Add U or B to your mana pool.
T, UB - Put a 2/1 creature token with "Whenever this creature deals damage or is targeted, exile it." and "This creature can't be blocked." onto the battlefield.

Challenge: Something else that exiles itself.

mystic1110
2015-05-29, 05:46 PM
The unblockable clause on the token makes the land way over powered . . . its a dream win con for a UB control deck. .

Aether Jumper 2WW
Creature - Spirit Rogue U
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may exile it. If you do, exile target creature. At the beginning of the next end step, return ~ and that card to the battlefield under their owners control with a +1/+1 counter on them.
2/2

Create something that uses charge tokens

r2d2go
2015-05-29, 06:52 PM
Remember that it's exiled when it hits face, so it's basically 2 delayed damage for 3 that can be pinged. It's slower and more expensive than Inkmoth Nexus.

Okay, so if it hits someone, it buffs some guys and has some other minor utility. Cool? The fact that it costs 4 and is 2/2 with no other bonuses is a bit offputting though. Interesting, but probably overcosted.

Carolinum Bomb 8
Artifact - R
3 - Put a charge counter on ~.
At the end of your turn, you may sacrifice a land. If you do, deal X damage to each creature, where X is the number of charge counters on ~.

Or, something a bit easier to balance...

Izzet Shockblaster 3
Artifact - Equipment R
(U/R) - Put a charge counter on ~.
T, Remove X charge counters from ~: Deal X damage to target creature blocked by or blocking equipped creature. If equipped creature is an unblocked attacker, instead deal X damage to target player.
Equip 2

Note that "unblocked attacker" is the language used in Ninjitsu, which is why I used it.

Challenge: Something else that explodes. Bonus points if it explodes more than once.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-29, 08:45 PM
From a mechanical perspective, I'd probably have the bomb either pick a target (to make it a little less oppressive, but capable of hitting players) or sacrifice itself (because, you know, it's a bomb). A little research tells me that you're basing this on a Wells story about a bomb that's always exploding, so making it repeatable and targeted is probably your best bet. The current version is... well, a limited bomb. :smalltongue:

The Shockblaster is a neat concept, but tapping equipment is rather awkward. I have a habit of turning equipment sideways along with the creature it's attached to, so this would probably lead to some cheeky judge calls. You could just have it trigger every time the equipped creature blocks/is blocked/deals combat damage to a player, though. I'd also recommend that you only charge it up as a sorcery, since otherwise there's no reason not to just pretend it's Firebreathing. For that matter, it does seem to be mono-red; blue mana doesn't usually go towards damage-dealing.

Igniter Thrull 1BR
(A thrull is lighting a white-hot ceremonial brazier.)
Creature - Thrull U
Haunt (When this creature dies, exile it haunting target creature.)
When Igniter Thrull enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, it deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
1/2

Challenge! Something you'd keep as a pet.

r2d2go
2015-05-30, 12:44 AM
Seems pretty powerful - Just the 3 damage is worth 1R, and the 1/2 body can do something, even if it's just 1 damage a turn because your opponent really doesn't want to block and kill it. And, of course, if it dies and gets off its Haunt (perhaps because you're playing Grixis Control and block, or because you're running Rakdos aggro with sacrifices), it's just crazy value. I definitely like the idea, but maybe it needs to be a Shock instead of a Searing Spear? Or only target creatures or players, instead of both?

Adorable Bunny WG
Creature - Rabbit R
Whenever ~ blocks, you may pay (W/G) and discard a card. If you do, up to three target creatures deal no combat damage this turn.
0/1

Challenge: Something else adorable, or something else that's sort of a spellshaper but triggers instead of tapping (a spellshaper taps, pays a cost and discards a card for an effect).

braveheart
2015-05-30, 10:01 AM
Interesting effect, I'm honestly not sure how strong it would be.

Riku's First Aprentice UG
Creature-Human, Wizard - R
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may discard a card and pay UG, if you do put a token copy of that creature onto the battlefield
1/1

And it's counterpart

Riku's Second Aprentice UG
Creature-Human, Wizard - R
Whenever you cast a spell, you may discard a card and pay UR, if you do copy that spell, you may select new targets for the copy
1/1

Something legendary

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-05-31, 01:11 AM
I'm assuming you meant for the second apprentice to cost UR. They're both actually quite interesting and reasonable, though it makes me wonder who this Replicate-based legend is. They could both be abused, of course, but there are other copy effects out there that are harder to see coming.

Phage the Silk-wrapped 4BBB
Deathtouch. Whenever PtS-w deals damage to a planeswalker, destroy it. Creatures and planeswalkers dealt damage by PtS-w this turn can't be regenerated this turn.
If PtS-w is a commander, a player loses the game after taking 7, "Commander Damage," from it. (Only combat damage counts as Commander Damage.)
4/4

Challenge! Make a 3-mana instant that doesn't target anything.

TiaC
2015-05-31, 02:49 AM
Hm, outside of commander, it's underpowered. In commander, it's a little too one-note. It encourages you to make a deck that does just one thing. I'm not very fond of it.

World's Boon 2W
Instant - U
All players gain 9 life.

Make a card that broadens an existing mechanic. (e.g. in Urza's block, cycling was always [cycling 2], but later it got more variety without changing the rules.)

Ninjaman
2015-05-31, 03:30 AM
It could be common and only give you life and it still wouldn't be good.

Sidisi's Order - 3BB
Sorcery - R
Return target creature from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control.
Transmute Sacrifice a creature

Another reanimation spell.

Jormengand
2015-05-31, 07:44 AM
Huh. Interesting. Works, functional... goddammit, stop making good cards, people, I can't say anything intelligent about them!

Repopulate 2BG
Sorcery - R
Sacrifice a creature: return 3 random creatures from your graveyard to your hand.
"The land is fertile. The herds roam thick, on four legs and on two."
- Liet

Next: Something with only one colour symbol (Such as W or {W/R} or {W/Phi}) in it.

Ninjaman
2015-05-31, 08:52 AM
First of name is already used. Also wording is off, should be: "As an additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature. Return three creatures chosen at random from your graveyard to your hand." Also I think you could get away with costing 1 less or not being at random.

Frostbite's Lapse - W/U
Instant - R
Target noncreature spell's owner draws a card.
Counter that spell. If that spell is countered this way, put it on top of its owner's library instead of into that player's graveyard.

Something else with CMC 1.

Jormengand
2015-05-31, 09:46 AM
Hmm... good, I think. The foecantrip and the fact that if you block anything important, it'll be back, is worth the lower cost.

Thundershock 1
Instant R (R colour indicator)
Thundershock deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
Coloursickness - If you didn't spend R to cast Thundershock, Thundershock deals 2 damage to you.
Jace never could get the hang of lightning.

Next: Something else colourless.

r2d2go
2015-05-31, 07:22 PM
I dunno if I like colorless Shock at the cost of 2 life. It's a bit like Gut Shot, but better in non-red decks and better when you have mana to spend.

Bloodmail 3
Artifact - Equipment U
Whenever a creature dies, put a charge counter on ~.
Remove a charge counter from ~: Equipped creature gets +1/+2 until end of turn.
Equip 1

Challenge: Something else that is better when things die.

Ninjaman
2015-06-01, 01:14 AM
It should probably be +2/+2, but otherwise I like it.

Ghost Lord - 1WB
Creature - Spirit - R
Flying
Whenever a nonspirit creature dies, put a 1/1 white Spririt creature token onto the battlefield.
2/2

Another multicolor card.

Jormengand
2015-06-01, 07:48 AM
That... doesn't seem all that rare, actually. I would have thought it would be uncommon, but either way it works.

Subversion W/B
Instant - U
Swap target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.

Next: Something else with a Colour/Othercolour symbol.

Ninjaman
2015-06-01, 11:37 AM
That card already exists and the effect is U/R. Also switch instead of swap.

Postmortem Vengeance - B/R
Sorcery - R
Return target creature with cmc 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

Another CMC 1 Rare.

Jormengand
2015-06-01, 12:33 PM
Hmm... it's good, sure. Though I do wonder about spamming it on Ball Lightnings.

Thundergrowth 1
Instant - R (G colour indicator)
Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Coloursickness - If you didn't use G to cast Thundergrowth, it deals 3 damage to you.

Not sure what the right amount of damage is for coloursickness, TBH. 2? 3? More?

Next: Try something else with Coloursickness, or another way to do something out of colour, at a price (Like Phyrexian mana I guess).

braveheart
2015-06-01, 12:58 PM
I like this mechanic, and I think that it can be used more creatively to make something very interesting

Hill Wood Ogre 6
Creature - Ogre - R
First Strike, Trample
Color sickness - if you did not spend G to cast ~, put a -1/-1 counter on it
Color sickness - if you did not spend R to cast ~, put a -1/-1 counter on it
7/4

Let's delve (haha) into this mechanic a bit more

Ninjaman
2015-06-01, 01:24 PM
Need color indicator. For flavor I don't like an ogre being that large, or having first strike. As for balance it seems like a powerful limited rare, but wouldn't be played in constructed, which is fine.

Xirudan's Grasp - B/R
Instant - U
Xirudan's Grasp deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Color sickness - if you did not spend B to cast Xirudan's Grasp, Xirudan's Grasp deals 3 damage to you.
Color sickness - if you did not spend R to cast Xirudan's Grasp, discard a card.

Make another burn spell.

Jormengand
2015-06-01, 01:40 PM
That's... clever. Really clever. Though I think that taking 3 damage or anticantripping are both really harsh for the extra point of damage, so I'd be kinda disappointed to draw this as one of my uncommons. But then, bad cards are good, yadda yadda.

Ascending Fire 2RR
Sorcery - MR
X is 1.
Ascending Fire deals X damage to target creature or player, then increase X by 1. Repeat this process until Ascending Fire deals lethal damage to a creature or any damage to a player. You choose a new target each time.
"If fire isn't working, you don't have enough fire."
- Chandra.

Next: A spell that draws cards.

braveheart
2015-06-01, 03:32 PM
I think that it needs to create a copy each time it resolves, because targets have to be selected when the spell is cast, and you can't have the number of things a spell can target change once it hits the stack, however I do like the idea of building to your real target

Teacher of Patience 2UU
Creature-Human, Monk - R
Hexproof
Whenever ~ gets tapped, he does not untap during your next upkeep
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may draw up to 3 cards
4/7

Something else with an unusual downside

r2d2go
2015-06-01, 03:38 PM
The problem here is that if "a new target each time" is just a different one than the last, you can alternate between you and your opponent (perhaps with a detour or two to creatures) and just win. If it's not, this can run out of targets, and there's a good chance it does. I'm not sure how to make it work, but this is a little weird.

Tinged Knowledge (W/U)(U/B)(U/R)(U/G)
Sorcery - R
Draw a card.
If you spent W on ~, draw a card and gain 2 life.
If you spent B on ~, draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.
If you spent R on ~, draw 3 cards, then discard 2 cards.
If you spent G on ~, draw a card and regenerate target creature.

The problem here is that your card is already a 4/7 hexproof for 4. That needs drawbacks, not bonuses. And while yes, freezing when tapped is a downside, drawing 3 is a significantly larger upside. You can just use this as a 4/7 blocker until your control deck pulls out the rest of the big guns, then swing with it to draw even more big guns. Probably needs to either have higher rarity or lower base stats.

Blaze Runner R
Creature - Goblin U
Haste
Whenever ~ deals damage, deal 1 damage to each creature you control.
There's a reason they let him go first.
3/1

Challenge: Something with at least four colors. Bonus points for exactly four.

braveheart
2015-06-01, 03:56 PM
He works, everything about it makes sense, it might have worked as an uncommon but honestly it could go either way

Nephilum Gate
Land - Gate
~ enters the battlefield tapped, and does not untap during your next untap step
When ~ enters the battle field name a color and put the charge counters onto ~ according to the color selected, W-1, U-2, B-3, R-4, G-5.
T: produce 1 mana of any color except for the color indicated by the number of charge counters on ~

make something that freezes either itself or something else

Ninjaman
2015-06-01, 04:26 PM
This is really clunky and would just make a lot more sense if it just made all colors.

Frost Rider - WU
Creature - Human Knight - R
Whenever Frost Rider attacks, you may tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
2/2

Another CMC 2 Rare.

Jormengand
2015-06-01, 04:47 PM
The problem here is that if "a new target each time" is just a different one than the last, you can alternate between you and your opponent (perhaps with a detour or two to creatures) and just win. If it's not, this can run out of targets, and there's a good chance it does. I'm not sure how to make it work, but this is a little weird.

It stops working when it hits anyone's face or does lethal to anything.

CMC 2? Moving up in the world. It's pretty good. Works.

Vision 2
Sorcery - R (UB colour indicator)
Scry 3 and draw a card.
Coloursickness - If you didn't spend U to cast vision, you lose 2 life
Coloursickness - If you didn't spend B to cast vision, discard a card.

Next: CMC 3 rare! Let's move along!

r2d2go
2015-06-01, 05:20 PM
It stops working when it hits anyone's face or does lethal to anything.

Ah, sorry, misread to be lethal to a player or creature.

Anyway, I guess it's fine, nothing crazy here. All modes for casting are reasonable. Though, it doesn't seem very black...

Scientific Emissary RUG
Creature - Wizard R
Graft 1
Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Whenever you remove a +1/+1 counter from ~, deal 1 damage to target creature or player.
0/0

Challenge: CMC 4 rare :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-06-01, 06:14 PM
He's interesting and effective, but I think he could start as a graft 2

Cursed Mind (B/2)(B/2)
Sorcery-R
Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature, that creature's controller discards a card
"A wizards greatest weapon is their mind, it is also their greatest weakness"

CMC 5

mystic1110
2015-06-01, 08:29 PM
Hard thing is . . . . its either 4, 2B or BB. Its bad at BB, worse at 2B . . . and at 4 . . . . we don't want it to exist due to it warping the color pie to much. . .

So . . . i will have to say no?

Ichorslurper 3GG
Creature - Elemental C
When ~ enters the battlefield, move a counter from target player or permanent onto another target of the same type.
4/5

Create another green card that mentions counters of any type

r2d2go
2015-06-01, 11:11 PM
Well, the power level is about right for a common. I'm not sure about the complexity, but it shouldn't be too bad. So, probably a good card :smallbiggrin:

Vorel's Disciple UG
Creature - Human Merfolk U
T - For each type of counter on target artifact, creature or land, put another counter of that type on that permanent.
2/2

Challenge: Something else that's based on a legendary creature. Bonus points for another "disciple" - a creature that's smaller and cheaper with a weaker but similar effect.

Jormengand
2015-06-02, 05:26 AM
Hmm... seems okay. Decent card.

Kaalia's Disciple (W/B)R
Creature - Human Cleric R
When Kaalia's Disciple attacks, you may sacrifice it. If you do, put a demon, angel or dragon from your hand onto the battlefield, tapped and attacking.

Next: A legendary noncreature.

Ninjaman
2015-06-02, 06:48 AM
The existance of Griselbrand makes this card way too strong. Would probably be fine if printed at WBR.

Yurden, the Great Forest
Legendary Land - Forest - M
(T: Add G to your mana pool.)
1G, T: Put a 1/1 green Elf Warrior creature token onto the battlefield.

Another legendary land.

Ionbound
2015-06-02, 09:40 AM
Elf rush! In seriousness, it seems quite good in an elf based deck. I can't quite remember how much elf synergy there is, but it seems like it might get a bit overpowering since land hate is so rare.

Thraben, Humanity's Stronghold

Legendary Land-Plains-MR

(T: Add W to your mana pool.)

T, 1W: All humans you control gain +1/+1 until the end of the turn.

Challenge: Create a planeswalker based on a legendary from Innistrad.

Jormengand
2015-06-02, 10:34 AM
So now I know what my doomsayer was doing! Well, it's pretty good, I'll say.

Mikaeus, the Immortal Soul 3WB
Planeswalker - Mikaeus MR
+1: Put a +1/+1 counter on target human and target non-human creature.
-3: Until the start of your next turn, whenever a creature deals damage to you, destroy it.
-8: You get an emblem with "Humans you control enter the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter for each non-human creature card in your graveyard, and vice versa."

Next: Another planeswalker.

Warmatt
2015-06-03, 11:57 AM
So for the most part, a way to build an insane number of +1/+1 counters?

Manetho, Demon Sage of Stygia 1BBBWWW
Planeswalker- Manetho MR
+2; Target creature takes X damage, where X is equal to the demons you control. If you sacrifice a human while activating this ability, deals X damage to all creatures target player controls.
-2; As an additional cost for this ability, sacrifice any number of humans. Place a X/X Black Demon creature token into play, where X is the number of sacrificed humans
-12; Gain an emblem with; "At the beginning of your turn, place a 3/3 Black Demon creature token into play with 'Sacrifice a Human- Place a +1/+1 counter on ~, and it gains trample until the end of turn'"

Yeah, it's abilities require payment in blood for the most part, but eh.

Challenge; Another card that revolves around sacrifice.

Jormengand
2015-06-03, 12:26 PM
I smell SBAs. Either way, it's badly written, but probably okay? Though I can't say it's very WB - looks more BR or just B to me.

Colourplague 7
Sorcery - MR
Coloursickness - If you didn't use a colour of mana to cast Colourplague, the controller of each creature of that colour sacrifices it.
The disease is deadly, but many are immune.

Next: Another colourless nonpermanent.

mystic1110
2015-06-03, 12:41 PM
If you go all in It's an expensive wrath of god which you have to play using non-conventional mana sources. . . . You can't relate it to Spine of Ish Sah since its not a ETB effect.

If you play it in a mono colored deck its a cheap offcolor (since it can be any color) Plague Wind.

So either too good or too bad.

Invest 2
Instant C
Put a colorless artifact token named Gold onto the battlefield. It has "Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."
Wealth knows no color but Gold

Create a card that can be cast without paying its mana cost.

Jormengand
2015-06-03, 12:54 PM
Mmm, fair enough on the critique. I was basing it on All is Dust for mana cost.

Anyway, decent card. I mean, it's probably not worth, but on a common that's fine.

Freezing Trap 1
Morph
Whenever Freezing Trap blocks, you may turn it face-up. If you do, return the attacking creature to its owner's hand.
0/0

Why you would pay its mana cost is beyond me, but oh well. Maybe if you had an anthem and didn't want to fork out 3 for it?

Next: Something else 0/0.

mystic1110
2015-06-03, 01:01 PM
If my understanding of Morph is correct - your card doesn't work - when it's facedown its NOT Freezing Trap so you can't say when ~ blocks. . .

Instead you need to word it like so I think

Freezing Trap 1
Morph - 0, pay this cost only if ~ is blocking
When ~ turns face up if it is blocking a creature, return the attacking creature to its owner's hand.
0/0

That might work I think. . . morph is confusing. . . on that note

Sulking Hydra XGG
Creature - Hydra R
Ultramorph XG (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for {3}. Turn it face up any time for its ultramorph cost and put X +1/+1 counter on it.)
Sulking Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Remove half of the +1/+1 counters on Sulking Hydra rounded up: turn Sulking Hydra Face Down.
0/0

Create another 0/0 creature

Jormengand
2015-06-03, 02:10 PM
Heh, neat, but could become too powerful.

Unity Mage W
Creature - Human Wizard U
Unity Mage gets +1/+1 for each Unity Mage you control (Including this one)
0/0

Next: Something else relatively simple.

braveheart
2015-06-03, 03:31 PM
Interesting, it's a simple 1/1 under most situations, but it could do some cool things.

Forged Orders 1R
Sorcery - U
Gain control of target Soldier Creature until end of turn.
Untap it, it gains haste until end of turn.

Make something that is strong against a specific tribal

Ninjaman
2015-06-03, 03:37 PM
It's too expensive compared to treaten to really ever be useful.

Elf Slayer - 1BB
Creature - Human Warrior - R
Intimidate
When Elf Slayer enters the battlefield, you may detroy target elf creature.
3/2

Make a big rare.

Jormengand
2015-06-03, 03:40 PM
Hmm, neat. It works.

Silverlock 2
Artifact - R
When Silverlock enters the battlefield, for each creature you don't control, you may transform it.
Humans can't transform.

Mm, it's fine. Sure.

Blood Golem X
Artifact Creature - Construct R
X is equal to your life total.
8/8

Next: A mythic with no more than eight words of ability text.

r2d2go
2015-06-03, 05:08 PM
It's Molten Giant! :smalltongue: It's alright. Compare to Death's Shadow, I guess - it's colorless and a big guy even when you're not almost dead. I'm a little worried about the combo value of a technically CMC 0 8/8, but it should be okay.

Darklord 3BB
Creature - Demon MR
Whenever ~ attacks, destroy two target creatures.
6/6

Challenge: Something else with no keywords but less than 8 words of rules. Bonus points for being rare or mythic.

Jormengand
2015-06-03, 05:46 PM
I'm worried it might be too powerful, though. Two cards of advantage just for swinging it.

Temporal Spiral 9UUUU
Sorcery - MR
Take three extra turns after this one.
There's not enough time! Never enough time!

Next: Something common. After all those mythics, I think we need it. :smalltongue:

braveheart
2015-06-03, 05:50 PM
Ok, no, just no. That is a 6/6 for 5 which is already pretty decent, but killing 2target creatures when he attacks is too much. Maybe if he killed them when he hit the player he would be reasonable, but as is he could cost 7+ mana

Bookkeeper 3UU
Creature - Human - R
UU: draw a card
"What knowledge do you seek?"
2/5

Make a 5 color plainswalker

r2d2go
2015-06-03, 07:47 PM
Temporal Spiral 9UUUU
Sorcery - MR
Take three extra turns after this one.
There's not enough time! Never enough time!

Next: Something common. After all those mythics, I think we need it. :smalltongue:

It's alright, I guess :smalltongue: if it resolves, you probably win, which is cool.

Ok, no, just no. That is a 6/6 for 5 which is already pretty decent, but killing 2target creatures when he attacks is too much. Maybe if he killed them when he hit the player he would be reasonable, but as is he could cost 7+ mana.

Let me introduce you to Phyrexian Obliterator (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=phyrexian+obliterator), Artisan of Kozilek (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=397777), Eldrazi Conscription (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=193492), etc. It probably only deserves one kill anyway, but it's not as crazy as a lot of things.

Bookkeeper 3UU
Creature - Human - R
UU: draw a card
"What knowledge do you seek?"
2/5

This is decently strong, but not insane, and not at all complex. I'd probably bump it down to 1/5 and make it uncommon, or make it do more and keep it at rare.

I'm going to do Jorm's challenge:

Norn's Persecution 4WW
Instant - C
Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.
Creatures your opponent controls get -2/-2 until end of turn.

Challenge: Something else that is based on an existing card that breaks color. Bonus points if it references yet another card that has a similar effect, but with appropriate colors. For example you could make something that references Brute Force and Giant Growth which grants a large, temporary buff. The above is a reference to Elesh Norn and Zealous Persecution.

Jormengand
2015-06-04, 12:47 PM
It's... okay? I mean, it doesn't feel at all white for any reason, but whatever.

This is an annoying challenge, and I hope you realise that.

Prodigal Pyrosorcerer UR
Creature - Human Wizard U (Un)
T: Prodigial Pyrosorcerer deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
I am the great sorcerer, TIM!
2/2

Next: Something that lets you cast something else.

braveheart
2015-06-04, 01:21 PM
That's actually really strong for a 2 drop, perhaps if it could only hit creatures, or only hit players

Festival of Spells and Discovery XURG
sorcery - MR
Reveal the top X cards of your library, you may put any lands revealed this way onto the battlefield tapped, for each spell revealed this way with combined mana cost of X or less, you may cast it without paying It's mana cost
Put any revealed cards that are not cast or put into play on the bottom of your library in any order.

Make an artifact

Jormengand
2015-06-04, 02:11 PM
No. Compare Epic Experiment (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=253552&type=card) which costs G less and is WAY less powerful, only working on ins/sor.

Explosive Runes 2
Artifact - R (Un)
Whenever a player picks up Explosive Runes and reads it, Explosive Runes deals 4 damage to them.
"I prepared explosive runes this morning."
- Vaarsuvius.

Next: Another un-card, or something silly but not un.

Ninjaman
2015-06-04, 08:53 PM
I have no idea how to judge an un card, but it seems terrible since unless someone is really stupid they will only ever fell for it once.

Rakdos Blood Jester - 4BR
Creature - Demon - M
When Rakdos Blood Jester enters the battle field or dies it deals damage to each creature equal to it's power.
Puts the "laughter" in "slaughter".
5/3

Another Rakdos card.

r2d2go
2015-06-04, 09:22 PM
Gotta say "each other creature", otherwise it kills itself immediately and is basically a 10 damage board wipe to everything. As-is, it's still almost a board wipe to everything. I might give it haste or something, as-is it seems kind of the opposite of what Rakdos wants to do (play a bunch of guys and beat face).

Flame Jester RB
Creature - Devil U
Whenever ~ is blocked, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player, and deals no combat damage this turn.
3/1

Challenge: Something else that deals noncombat damage. Bonus points if it's a creature.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2015-06-04, 10:33 PM
The 3/1 Jester's ability is, in effect, first strike plus one and also removal. At least it doesn't have haste, but it's still enough to be worth at least 3 mana, ya tightwad. :smalltongue:

Pinch-heater 1R
(A goblin, swinging a club at a fireball twice his size as it hurtles toward him.)
Creature - Goblin Shaman - R
Hellbent - When Pinch-heater enters the battlefield, if you have no cards in hand, you may pay X. If you do, Pinch-heater deals X damage to target creature or player.
2/1

Challenge! Make something with an enters-the-battlefield ability that is sometimes a benefit and sometimes a drawback.

r2d2go
2015-06-05, 12:25 AM
So, it's sorta a Fireball if you have no cards? Cool! Probably appropriately costed.

Blood Collector WB
Creature - Vampire U
When ~ enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature.
Death and taxes.
2/2

Challenge: Something else symmetrical.

mystic1110
2015-06-05, 08:27 AM
Compared to Fleshbag Marauder your card should be fine

Chaos Inventor 1UR
Creature - Weird R
When ~ enters the battlefield, each player shuffles a non-land permanent into his or her library, then reveals the top card of his or her library. If it's a permanent card, he or she puts it onto the battlefield.
2/2

Another Weird

braveheart
2015-06-05, 11:04 AM
Putting the permanent into play isn't very blue red, but I guess it works

Shocklava Weird 3UR
Creature - weird - R
When ~ becomes blocked it deals 3 damage to itself and another target creature
5/4

let's make a white sorcery

mystic1110
2015-06-05, 11:24 AM
It's efficient but sort of boring for a rare? Also you might want to put a may clause in their since the ability fizzles if there's no other creatures on the battlefield i think.

Inanition 2W
Sorcery C
Inanition deals 2 damage to target non-white creature, then tap that creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Create blue green card

Zaydos
2015-06-05, 11:28 AM
Inanition 2W
Sorcery C
Inanition deals 2 damage to target non-white creature, then tap that creature. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

Feels more Red/Blue than White. White damages attacking/blocking creatures not just non-white and while White taps a lot of times it only rarely gets things that hold them tapped.

Create blue green card

Frost Spider 2GU
Creature - Spider U
Reach
Whenever ~ blocks a creature tap that creature and put 2 web counters on it. At the beginning of each upkeep step remove a web counter from each creature which has one.
Creature with web counters on them do not untap during their controller's untap step.
2/5

Challenge: Make a Gnome.

braveheart
2015-06-05, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure if you considered multiplayer for that card, but with a 3 player game that ability becomes entirely irrelevant, I think it should be 1 counter that is removed during the controler's upkeep

Tinker Trick 3UR
Legendary Creature - Gnome -R
When ~ enters the battlefield put X 1/1 Construct Artifact Creature tokens with "sacrifice this creature add (1) to your mana pool" onto the battlefield under your control where X is equal to the mana spent to cast ~ -2
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery you may pay (1) if you do put a 1/1 Orthopter Artifact Creature token onto the battlefield under your control
2/3

Make a plainswalker that costs 3 mana to cast

Jormengand
2015-06-05, 03:50 PM
Surely you could make it cost XUR and say "You can't cast Tinker Trick by paying less than 5 mana. When Trick enters the battlefield, put X 1/1..."

Apart from being weird, it's okay. Don't know why I'd use it apart from as a decent mana store (3/2 for 2 isn't bad, plus mana store).

Xavier Halshar 1WB
Planeswalker - Xavier MR
+1: You gain 1 life and each opponent loses 1 life.
-3: Exile target creature.
-8: You gain 2 life for each permanent you control and each opponent loses 2 life for each permanent that player controls.

Next: Something that puts something into your hand.