PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Mastermind Investigator: Best Archetype Ever due to editing error

Vhaidara
2015-04-19, 06:02 PM
So, I was considering a dip into Investigator for a knowledge focused PFS character (extra points, free use of Inspiration, character is an Arcanist so I have a good Int), and was looking at archetypes on the PFSRD when I noticed this. I double checked my copy, and then checked if there was an FAQ (there isn't)

A mastermind can use inspiration on any Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge, or skill checks without spending a use of inspiration. This ability alters inspiration.

Now, it is VERY obvious to me that there was supposed to be another skill listed after Knowledge. However, by RAW, this allows the Mastermind to use Inspiration on skill checks without spending a use of Inspiration.

Yes, I know this is clearly another case of the ACG's lack of an editor, however, I see nothing actually illegal about it. Am I missing a thing?

EisenKreutzer
2015-04-19, 08:46 PM
Makes me curious what it was actually supposed to say.

RolkFlameraven
2015-04-19, 08:51 PM
My guess would be sense motive is what is was supposed to be... but well until they FAQ that then no, as odd as it is, and until your DM chucks a book at you, all skills are up for it :smallamused:

Elricaltovilla
2015-04-19, 08:54 PM
By RAW, yeah. All your skill checks get to use Inspiration fo free. I'm sure that there's something out there meant to fix this, and I don't PFS so I don't know if they have a fix for it in their games. I say go for it, what's it really going to hurt?

Ryulin18
2015-04-21, 02:39 PM
I am flabbergasted that got through. Congratulations for noticing this.

stack
2015-04-21, 02:41 PM
I am flabbergasted that got through. Congratulations for noticing this.

You must not have seen the rest of the book. When it hit the shelves the suicide rate among copy editors around the world went up 5% from shear despair.

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-21, 02:44 PM
You must not have seen the rest of the book. When it hit the shelves the suicide rate among copy editors around the world went up 5% from shear despair.

It's pretty awesome that a pen and paper RPG book is getting such wide circulation.

Shame about the suicides though.

Elricaltovilla
2015-04-21, 02:44 PM

Iseewhatyoudidthere

stack
2015-04-21, 02:53 PM
Iseewhatyoudidthere

It was totally, utterly, and indisputably intentional, no matter what they tell you.

bekeleven
2015-04-21, 02:59 PM
Perhaps it wasn't meant to add an additional skill.

"A mastermind can use inspiration on any Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Knowledge skill check without spending a use of inspiration..."

Just thought I'd throw that in, in case anyone mistakenly thought RAI was clear.

Vhaidara
2015-04-21, 03:10 PM
Just thought I'd throw that in, in case anyone mistakenly thought RAI was clear.

Eh, I could see another skill (probably Sense Motive) being on that list.

Also, as far as the power, the main thing is that Invest is probably the best skill monkey in the game right now. And this archetype gives them +1d6 to every skill check they ever roll. Starting at level 1.

icefractal
2015-04-21, 03:53 PM
I'd be inclined to say this actually makes the Investigator more balanced, compared to a Vivisectionist Alchemist for instance. Extremely good as a dip though.