View Full Version : Raynnverse Does A Song of Ice & Fire : IC

The Architect
2015-04-19, 07:35 PM
A Song of Ice & Fire
House Lorimer
http://s2.postimg.org/kvgixoluh/House_Lorimer_B.png
297 AC : Highever, Castle Seat of House Lorimer

The Reach is hot.

Many citizens of Westeros who reside north of the Reach's edge imagine vineyards, endless farmland, or rose gardens when they imagine the Reach, and the Tyrells would have it no other way. When one thinks of the Reach, one should think of its bounty, one should remember its importance. What one rarely considers is that much of the Reach is directly west of Dorne, a kingdom known for its deserts and heat. Barrier Bay is a hamlet about the castle of Highever, the ancestral seat of House Lorimer, that is very nearly as south as south goes, and from which on a clear day Dorne itself can be seen.

In the courtyard of Highever, which is loomed over by the many elevated spaces that ring its central structure, a carriage comes to a halt. It is the warm green of the fields of its masters, and its wood paneling is engraved with waves of cascading azure roses. A dozen knights rear up before it, bearing the same green mixed with the colours or sigils of noble houses and landed knights.

After a long moment one of the doors to the side of the carriage pulls open and the crowd that surrounds it grows silent, a see of faded reds and whites waiting in unison. From the door emerges a heavy set figure, perhaps once handsome in his youth but easy living and too much of a few good things had faded his features with the roundness of rotundity. The figures long hair still holds its brown colour but his triangularly cut beard betrays flecks of white.

To the front of the crowd of Knights was another figure, who gave a respectful nod in Lord Lorimer's direction before he spoke. He was Ser Garlan Tyrell (http://www.aaronbmiller.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Garlan-Tyrell_GoT_AaronMiller1-685x604.jpg), second son of House Tyrell "Announcing Lord Mace Tyrell, Lord of Highgarden, Defender of the Marches, High Marshal of the Reach, and Warden of the South."

With that Lord Tyrell took slow steps in Lord Lorimer's direction, and that of his coterie, and gave him a long look "I've not see you since the war with the Greyjoys Lord Garrett..." he seemed to be appraising the new Lord.

What do You do?

To be clear the rest of the party is probably standing immediately around their Lord at this point and the courtyard is otherwise full of servants of the castle and small-folk.

Lord Tyrell is visiting supposedly out of respect for Lorimer's new position as Lord but that is a long journey for a lord of such high standing to travel for such a reason.

SuperCracker
2015-04-19, 08:15 PM
Lord Garrett Lorimer

Years ago, Garrett Lorimer had no clear future ahead of him. He had three elder brothers, one of whom had a child. He was next in line for nothing, was promised nothing, and as soon as his father was able, he was shipped off to Dorne to foster. And ironically enough, he liked it. He loved it. Being away from his family, his father's expectations, had freed Garrett to be the man he wished to be. And then.. his father died. And two of his older brothers. The third was wounded and languished for months before he too died.

Yet Garrett never sought to return home. He sent letters to his nephew, to his brother's wife, to his mother. But he stayed away, in Dorne and across the Narrow Sea. Away from his family's expectations.

Fast forward to only a few months ago. His nephew had grown ill. The boy was not likely to survive. Garrett had no choice but to return. And return he did, making sweeping changes in a matter of days. The oddball bunch that stood around him was a testament to that.

And now, he's hosting the Lord of the Reach.

Garrett wore the colors of red, white, and black. He had noble's clothes, yes, but his clothes were modest by the standards of Lords. He had short brown hair and close-cut hair upon his face, somewhere between stubble and a real beard.

Garrett stood and approached Lord Tyrell, placing his fist to his heart and bowing low in a show of fealty. He allowed the Lord to speak first, and he responded with a broad, friendly smile and a nod. "Yes, my Lord. It's been far too long. I was still a boy when we met last, but I've grown since then. You look hearty and hale as ever," he said. Garrett opened his arms. "Welcome to Highever, our home is yours, as it always has been."

Fawkes
2015-04-19, 09:26 PM
Qorro Otherys

Qorro stands nearby, his sword at his hip, his scarred face locked in a permanent scowl. While familiar with the pomp and circumstance customary of the Lords and Sers of Westeros from his time in Dorne, Qorro nevertheless feels out of place standing at attention among the rest of Lord Lorimer's small council. Garrett had been one of his best pupils in Dorne, and Qorro had insisted on following the new Lord to Barrier Bay to find security and prosperity for his family, but the run-down keep of Highever was somewhat less than he was expecting. The guard was weak even by Westerosi standards, every man untrained and under-equipped. The Master-at-Arms was a broken man who hadn't produced a proper soldier in years. It didn't take to convince the young Lord Lorimer that his old tutor Qorro would be better suited for the job.

Looking over Mace Tyrell's retinue, Qorro couldn't help but feel a pang of nostalgia for the days of fighting alongside true warriors. But mercenary work, even under Oberyn Martell, had always been risky and dengerous. It was no place for a family man. Qorro had a wife and three sons to look out for now, with a fourth on the way, and was fast becoming too old for the battlefield. But he would make damn sure that men who would fight would be ready for it.

Not that any of this lot would survive real combat.

Qorro follows his Lord, and kneels before the Tyrells.

The Architect
2015-04-20, 09:10 AM
Highever, Castle Seat of House Lorimer

Tyrell boisterous takes the younger lord into a brief embrace before motioning for the entourage around them both to end for the passage of the central hall of Highever. As the group began to walk Tyrell gave a nod and a smile in the direction of Lorimer's own entourage "Lord Garrett, I've not heard tell of a Lady Lorimer of late. You're a bachelor then? I suppose all manner of lords have been offering their daughters' hands since your recent ascent though, might I be attending any particular wedding soon?"

Ser Garlan, who had dismounted, seemed to give his father a humorously chiding look as Lord Tyrell ask the prodding question.

What do You do?

SuperCracker
2015-04-20, 12:46 PM
Lord Lorimer

Garrett chuckled and returned the embrace. He was well-known as a gregarious (yet sharp) individual. The show of warmth and friendliness from his liege lord did not bother him in the slightest. It's always best to have more friends than enemies, especially when those friends are of higher station than yours. As the groups walked towards the main hall, Garrett grinned a bashful grin and allowed a pleasant laugh to escape his lungs. He wasn't bothered at all, it seemed.

"I'm afraid no such plans have been made, my lord. I've only very recently assumed my position here. Those kinds of," he paused with another grin, "responsibilities have only now begun to have much importance for me. I hope I make that decision wisely when it comes. That said, I'm always open to your advice on the matter, my lord."

Highever was busier than it had been in years. People were hard at work to make this place something special again. The new lord's fairness to the smallfolk, as well as the way he didn't put on airs, had revitalized the staff of the castle. Despite being very new to lordship, Garrett took the idea is his obligation to his subjects quite seriously.

Steve_the_ERB
2015-04-20, 03:27 PM
Maester Archbold

Archbold followed along as quickly as he could, leaning on his staff, which added a 'clack-clack' to the procession as it moved into the hall. He had just recently left the service of House Polinter, a minor house of the Vale, under circumstances that were not widely publicized. The smallfolk whispered about everything from trafficking with demons to improper conduct towards Lord Polinter's daughter, to missing funds from the house treasury. What was known for sure however was that Lord Polinter had vowed to see Archbold stripped of his chain, a claim that the Citadel had not yet deigned to entertain, and that Archbold's pronounced limp had been a very recent occurrence.

In the short time he had been attached to House Lorimer however he had been nothing if not the model of an efficient, if slightly acerbic, maester: working diligently at getting the staff in order, checking into the books, and cleaning out the far-too-long abandoned maester's office and library in the keep. He had made his desire to expand both clear to his new lord but had not pestered as there were many things yet to take care of.

He nods at Lord Tyrell's words, chiming in, his tone just polite enough to sound as if he's not lecturing. "I have reminded my Lord Lorimer of just such a thing, my Lord Tyrell. That a suitable heir is equal in responsibility to his other duties, one that often takes time to cultivate. I am quite familiar the histories and lineages of many of the houses of the Seven Kingdoms and will be more than willing to assist as needed."

The Architect
2015-04-20, 03:37 PM

Lord Tyrell smiles towards the old Maester as they passs into a corridor leading onto a feast hall "ah, a maester to the core, to think a good match is picked from recited histories and old books. In my history you've got your best options in either making the bees come to the honey quickly, say a tourney or such, or going to where there is the most bees with your pot," he stroked his beard appreciating his own supposed political acumen "court. Leave some good man to hold this place together and find some apartments in the court of good King Robert. Many a first-born daughters of good families can be found often at court, all seeking a suitable match."

What do You do?

Steve_the_ERB
2015-04-20, 07:52 PM
Maester Archbold

Archbold nodded "Without a doubt, my Lord Tyrell, histories cannot tell you everything but they do speak to a certain...consistency of fine grooming. In most situations I would agree that your suggestion was a fine one." His tone, while respectful, was a little dry despite his agreement. "But I would caution my Lord Lorimer about leaving again so soon. His presence has done wonders to bolster the smallfolk and many gains have been made by his presence. If my Lord wishes more than my correspondences on his behalf in this matter than I suggest Lord Tyrell's other course of action. A tournament may be an excellent way to demonstrate our returned vigor."

EikaForge
2015-04-20, 08:34 PM
Saenyra Forge, closely followed by a chest-bearing Bethel, caught up with the highborns in time to hear the Maester's suggestion, "A tourney costs dragons and you never make back what you invest. Though perhaps the local trade would benefit from it, not to mention the deals that could be struck."

The young Valyrian smiled, schemes of riches already occupying her mind.

SuperCracker
2015-04-21, 12:15 AM
Lord Lorimer

He listened to each speaker in turn. His new advisors knew him well enough to know that he would chart his own course, but in doing so he would consider the suggestions of those closest to him. The maester was correct, now was not the time to leave Highever. The land had gone without a solid ruler for years. Leaving without establishing his will would pull the rug out from under all of these improvements. And what’s more… Garrett didn’t want to go and play the loyal subject to a usurper and murderer. Oh yes, Garrett’s time in Dorne had most certainly helped to shape his worldview.

Yet spending hard-earned gold on such frivolity… Archbold made the case for a tournament restoring the prestige of the House. And the young one made the more important point: that the town itself stood to benefit.

Garrett nodded softly, that little, thoughtful smile upon his lips.

“Lord Tyrell, I understand that your son Loras is quite the skilled jouster.” He let the sentence hang out there for a moment. “I think you should tell him to practice, because it seems that Highever will host a tournament soon."

AvianMalkavian
2015-04-22, 06:30 PM
Elena Flowers

Last, and almost certainly least, Elena followed behind her half-brother, Lord Garrett Lorimer, remaining silent while he and Lord Tyrell spoke. Despite the events that had preceded his arrival, she was glad that Garrett had returned to Highever. He was one of the few members of the Lorimer family that had treated her like an actual person rather than a constant reminder of her father's infidelity. She had visited her brother previously, years ago, when Lady Lorimer sent her across the Narrow Sea. No doubt the old woman had needed a respite from the bastard's presence.

In her youth, Elena had learned many important lessons. Though her father treated her well, others in the family would have been eager to be rid of her. However, rather than let the seething stares or the insults tear her down, she found a better path and chose to repay vinegar with honey. The young Flowers girl was naturally cheerful, the fact that it drove her enemies mad was simply an added bonus. Of course, it wasn't exactly the wisest thing to taunt when she had no where to hide. Though Elena's father recognized her, let her live in Highever even, he had not legitimized her before his death. As a result, she was entitled to nothing and would inherit nothing.

Garrett was the only reason that she had not been thrown out of Highever or been forced to work as a servant girl, something for which she was eternally grateful. While she did not have the years of experience that Maester Archbold had or even the savvy for finances that Saenrya did. Still, she could offer the new Lord Lorimer her delightful company, be the one that he could talk to above all others, or so she hoped. She leaned toward her brother, giving him her most charming smirk, "A tourney? Wonderful. And Ser Loras? Well, that will certainly draw a crowd."

The Architect
2015-04-23, 09:23 AM

Lord Tyrell enters the main hall with Lord Lorimer and as servants mill about preparing and settling his entourage he takes a seat at the high table, requesting food from a passing maid "it will give me joy to attend but ... you are so very far south, as south as south goes nearly, and the way to Highever is not ... easy," Safe seems to be more on his mind than his lips "it might do well for House Lorimer to ... attend to a few things before arranging the tournament Lord Lorimer. Actually, there are some things I wished to discuss in that regard if we may?"

What do You do?

SuperCracker
2015-04-23, 11:40 AM
Lord Lorimer

He listened, that same smile on his face... Too far to travel for the Westerosi... I wonder if the Dornish will feel the same way. Garrett nodded with empathy, at the same time gesturing to the food to be brought. He took a seat beside Lord Tyrell at the table. His sister would be allowed to likewise sit near him as well. Despite his mother's frequent and strenuous protests, Garrett viewed the girl as his family. His father's infidelity didn't bother him, it was but a crack in their relationship where other problems were canyons. The girl was here, she was alive, and so it fell to him to treat her with kindness.

"I've only just arrived in Highever, my lord. By the time of the tournament, the path here will be safe. I'll see to it personally."

A very serious look crossed his eyes for a moment before he smiled again.

"Now, what would you have of me, my lord? Your concerns are mine."

The Architect
2015-04-26, 09:23 AM

Lord Tyrell taps his fingers on the table "Well... that. Since the rebellions your house and it banners have had little to no military power, you've needed the men for the farms I know, but it may be best to change that, and to address the banditry. It's gotten to the point that the collection of taxation in these lands of the southern Reach has become ... spotty. The Hand of the King may feel the need to act if this isn't settled soon."

What do You do?

Fawkes
2015-04-26, 01:25 PM
Qorro rises from his seat, addressing the seated Lords.

"If I may have permission to speak, my lords."

Qorro waits for a response.

"I am Qorro Others of Braavos, newly appointed Master-at-Arms of House Lorimer. Since Lord Lorimer's ascension, we have been hard at work improving the numbers and condition of the town guard. I have experience combatting brigands, and I have personally trained our recruits to fight and defend against unpredictable opponents armed with any sort of weaponry. Triston Wallace, meanwhile, is drafting a series of plans that will allow our men to restore order quickly and with minimal damage to our lands. The collection will resume unimpeded, you have my word."

Steve_the_ERB
2015-04-27, 07:30 PM
Maester Archbold

Archbold sat back, folding his hands inside his grey robes as everyone was seated. He glanced at Elena for a moment before remembering Lord Tyrell had no strong objections to bastards, content that it would not be an issue for dinner. He watched the master-at-arms rise, his stomach tightening a bit as he wondered what the outsider would say and hoping he would not have to scramble to save face for his new Lord. However he found the warrior's speech heartening, assuaging his fears for the moment.

He nodded and leaned in to add. "I am sure that our efforts will soon meet with the approval of Lord Arryn in King's Landing. However if you have any details about these bandits Lord Tyrell I am sure we can put that to good use. Are they organized? Do they have a leader? Any known hideouts? I am sure the Master-at-Arms will be able to ferret them out regardless but anything we can use to our advantage will lead to a quicker resolution".

SuperCracker
2015-04-27, 08:44 PM
Lord Lorimer

Lord Tyrell taps his fingers on the table "Well... that. Since the rebellions your house and it banners have had little to no military power, you've needed the men for the farms I know, but it may be best to change that, and to address the banditry. It's gotten to the point that the collection of taxation in these lands of the southern Reach has become ... spotty. The Hand of the King may feel the need to act if this isn't settled soon."

What do You do?

Something flickered, unseen, beneath the surface. Robert's lapdog wouldn't solve Garrett's problems. Garrett would. He smiled and nodded, giving the Man-at-Arms the go ahead to speak. He had faith in the man, or else he wouldn't even be here. And his words came out quite well.

"As you heard, my lord. We will deal with this."

And he would deal with it personally. He was a talented knife-fighter. No way would he send green troops out without risking himself, despite the maester's objections.

The Architect
2015-05-20, 08:47 PM

"I am sure that our efforts will soon meet with the approval of Lord Arryn in King's Landing. However if you have any details about these bandits Lord Tyrell I am sure we can put that to good use. Are they organized? Do they have a leader? Any known hideouts? I am sure the Master-at-Arms will be able to ferret them out regardless but anything we can use to our advantage will lead to a quicker resolution".

Lord Tyrell shifted uncomfortably in his seat "My apologies Maester but I've little knowledge of the criminals of this region of the Reach. I am a Lord, not a brigand."

He turns to Lord Lorimer "is there anything else of immediate import? Otherwise I shall head to rest. It has been a long journey."

What do You do?

Steve_the_ERB
2015-05-28, 01:56 PM
Maester Archbold

As the Lords conversed the Maester gestured to Marska, one of the serving maids, bringing her closer. He leaned down to whisper in her ear so that his words were covered by the din of conversation and dining elsewhere in the hall.

"I am sure Lord Tyrell's men are quite thirsty from their long journey. Please be sure that they suffer no want of wine to slake their thirst."

SuperCracker
2015-05-28, 10:36 PM
Lord Lorimer

He gave a chiding glare to the maester. Things that were in the House's domain would be solved by the house. Not spoken about in painful detail... nor aid requested.

"No, my lord. Please enjoy your rest."

EikaForge
2015-06-02, 05:47 PM
Saenyra quietly watched and listened to the entire conversation, putting on a friendly face but mostly staying forgotten. Her position at the lord's table was tentative at best, just someone to fill in until a better Master of Coin could be found. While others in her position might blather on and try and impress the lords, Tyrell had, as he just said, had a long day traveling. And tired lords are prone to irritability and hasty decisions.

So for now she filed away what was said and what was not said for later schemes and plots, for things that would earn her the respect she deserved and the riches her lord could scarcely imagine.

The Architect
2015-06-04, 06:44 PM
Later . . .

The remainder of Lord Paramount Tyrell's stay was both short and uneventful, and he moved on with little trouble or issue, continuing his tour of the Reach. In tandem to this the prominent figures of Highever were left impressed with the necessity of dealing with their domain's crime problem. As a result the Lord had called a meeting of the small council.

What do You do?

You guys can go ahead with describing the small council chamber. It's been about a week since Tyrell's arrival and he left yesterday so you guys can post any actions you think you might have taken in that interim in the OoC thread.

Fawkes
2015-06-05, 01:28 AM
True to his word, Qorro has spent the week continuously training the Lorimer soldiers, pushing the men to their limits to prepare them to reclaim the roads. But since the announcement of the tournament, he had a second duty - to find talented warriors suitable to represent Lord Garrett in the melee.

Qorro quietly enters the council chamber, blade at his side as ever. He bows to Lord Garrett. "Milord." He nods to the other councilors as he takes his seat.

Steve_the_ERB
2015-06-09, 07:17 AM
Maester Archbold

The Maester entered the council chamber, leaning heavily on his staff as usual, the metal shod tip making a clink-clink-clink as he walked to his seat. His face gave no sign of the interesting news he had to share from his week among the smallfolk and he was not about to go into it until everyone had arrived. He leaned his staff against the table and put his hands into his sleeves, waiting patiently.

SuperCracker
2015-06-09, 09:05 PM
Lord Lorimer

Garrett was already seated at the head of the table when everyone arrived. He always liked to take a moment to sit and reflect before he had a conversation with his council. He said nothing until all were present and seated. Only then did he speak.

"Let's begin, shall we?" The same friendly tone as always. He offered a genial smile. "I'd like to begin with a story. You see, after I was old enough to be a man, the lord who fostered me allowed me to join a company of warriors. There was a boy my age who joined a few days later. We were young men, inexperienced. We were given a task and expected to complete it, young or not."

"We were given too many tasks. I kept my head down and did what was asked. The boy, my friend, he asked for help with his duties. And I did. One of the warriors noticed this. He asked the boy why he wasn't doing the work himself. The boy said 'it's too much, I'm sorry I'm sorry.'"

He took a drink from his water.

"The boy, he did nothing but clean **** from the buckets for six months while in the same time I was allowed into the field."

He looked at everyone gathered. "Do you know why I tell you this story? It's because if you're expected to do something on your own... you don't ask for help. Because if you can't accomplish it, you can't be trusted with anything greater."

He grows more serious. "Don't ask Lord Tyrell or anyone from any house to help us learn what's going on in our own lands. We are more than capable. We will show strength, not weakness."

He leaned back in his chair, returning to a more pleasant demeanor. Yet he was no less serious. "Tell me what you've learned of these bandits. I want a plan to eradicate them." Next order of business as well. "I have also been thinking. And I think I wish to strengthen our ties with Dorne. Have ravens sent for a suitable match to attend whatever event you arrange."

Steve_the_ERB
2015-06-10, 02:01 PM
Maester Archbold

"And intriguing tale, my lord" said the Maester polite but cool as if lecturing to a apprentice. "I have one as well that I'd like to share. Slightly more apocryphal than practical. Three men from the Riverlands were traveling north through the Neck towards Moat Cailin: a knight, his squire, and his page. Unfortunately they soon lost their way and were separated from both the road and each other. The knight, bold and confident, continued forward, fearing neither bog nor lizard-lion. He was never heard from again. The page fell to his knees and prayed silently to the Father, the Warrior, the Crone, and even the Stranger. He too was swallowed by the bogs. The squire, not quite a boy like the page but not yet a knight called out, first tentatively for he was afraid of what lurked in the darkness but soon with more and more vigor. His cries were heard and he was rescued by crannogmen, eventually becoming a knight and a lord."

He sat back in his chair and continued on, slightly less cold as he turned to things of actual concern besides the thin yet prickly hides of nobles. "Banditry in Lorimer and several surrounding lands is centralized in a figure the smallfolk have taken to calling the Red Knight. While fanciful tales of his cursed, ever-bleeding, armor as just that of course, it does give us a singular point to focus on. The coordination of the Red Knight's band, his raids, his likely support structure, suggest a fairly large operation with a central base of operations. This gives us an opportunity to focus on a single target however, on the downside this will likely require military action unless some other solution presents itself. As of now, the current identity of the Red Knight and his motives, if they be more than just greed and mayhem, are unknown."

He made no mention of Lord Lorimer's request about sending ravens to Dorne, at least not yet.

Fawkes
2015-06-10, 02:55 PM
Qorro chuckled softly at the exchange of stories. He had seen enough proud men die to know the maester was right. But he also knew Garrett well enough to know that he would not be easily convinced.

"I have no doubts that Dorne will provide an excellent match you, but the Tyrells will disapprove. I would advise waiting until we have resolved our bandit problems before troubling them with news of a Dornish wedding."

He turned to the Maester.

"Any idea where this Red Knight's 'central base' might be located?"

Steve_the_ERB
2015-06-10, 03:56 PM
Maester Archbold

The Maester shook his head slowly, not answering immediately, leaving it hang for a moment that he might be responding to either the marriage or the bandits but he finally clarified. "I have as yet been unable to determine the location of the bandit lair. I will continue to investigate but its possible what material aid he is getting is not from around here so there may be few leads to follow from here. Perhaps in addition to my own work a bounty might be offered to encourage someone to come forth."