PDA

View Full Version : Druid Plant Creature Grapple Rules

shade1986
2015-04-19, 07:35 PM
I had a question about grappeling from a distance. I am going to be playing a druid who can become plant creatures through wild shape. One such creature i have found is the Dire Flytrap. This creature has three tentacles that have 90ft reach + grab. If I use grab to initiate a grapple on a medium creature who is 90ft away from me are there penalties for that? Also, can they hit me, since technicly they are still 90ft from my space while we are grappling? Common sense says yes in some form since my tentacles are holding them (but i think attacking my tentacles shouldnt do full dmg, if they can hit me) but raw seems to say im safe.

Crake
2015-04-19, 07:43 PM
I had a question about grappeling from a distance. I am going to be playing a druid who can become plant creatures through wild shape. One such creature i have found is the Dire Flytrap. This creature has three tentacles that have 90ft reach + grab. If I use grab to initiate a grapple on a medium creature who is 90ft away from me are there penalties for that? Also, can they hit me, since technicly they are still 90ft from my space while we are grappling? Common sense says yes in some form since my tentacles are holding them (but i think attacking my tentacles shouldnt do full dmg, if they can hit me) but raw seems to say im safe.

If you're ONLY using the tentacle to grapple them, there's a -20 on the check, but you aren't considered grappled at all. If you would like to properly grapple them, then you need to use your whole body, and must move into their space upon succeeding on a grapple check.

shade1986
2015-04-19, 10:34 PM
If i initiate the grapple from 90ft away, how would that work? Do i not have the ability to do a full grapple from a distance? I did see this "If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails)." Does that mean i can grab them at 90ft and then pull them to me? I didn't see that -20 penalty rule. Where is that?

Deox
2015-04-20, 04:56 AM
If i initiate the grapple from 90ft away, how would that work? Do i not have the ability to do a full grapple from a distance? I did see this "If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails)." Does that mean i can grab them at 90ft and then pull them to me? I didn't see that -20 penalty rule. Where is that?

Assuming you're referring to the Improved Grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab) special ability:

The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself

Bolded for emphasis.

In addition, when using Improved Grab, note the following:

When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.

Again, bolded for emphasis.