PDA

View Full Version : Stats for fine and diminutive animals?

Hiro Quester
2015-04-19, 08:07 PM
My forest gnome druid PC has undergone a dramatic size change, while on a hallucinatory dreamquest. After drinking a potion on a table (labelled "Drink me" in magical symbols) he shrunk to 1/10 his normal size. So mechanically, he as dropped three size categories, from Small to Fine and is now 3 inches tall.

This isn't all bad. Strength was a dump stat anyway, and the +8 to dex from three size changes, +16 to hide, +8 to AC all make this a reasonable state to be in. And as a summoner and caster, most of my primary abilities will still work fine (!).

But I'm stuck in the party rogue's pocket right now.

DM has ruled that since this is a dreamquest, the size change is partly mental so Wildshape's normal absolute size result (small and medium creatures) is now relative to my current size (the same or one category larger).

So instead of becoming a four foot long Leopard, if I wildshaped into a leopard, it would be 4.8 inches long.

It seems sensible to take advantage of the small size for wildshape forms too, then, by wildshaping into a hummingbird or similar fine flying creature. Fine size is less than 6 inches long. The huge bonus to Dex and AC of being fine sized, yet not stuck in our party rogue's pocket, makes this a fairly attractive option.

But there are no stats I can find on individual fine-sized creatures. Creatures this size are treated as swarms, usually.

I recall that some dragon mag listed a hummingbird as an alternative familiar for a wizard. Does anyone know if that mag (I don't have it right now) has stats on the hummingbird?

Or are there other fine or diminutive creatures (ideally flying) that there are published stats for?

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-19, 08:14 PM
I think the DMG has stats for some abnormal sized familiars. Hedgehog should be in there, along with cow. But cow doesn't help you. Anyways, it has a natural poison I think (the hedgehog, not the cow, unless you are lactose intolerant) so that should be useful.

Hiro Quester
2015-04-19, 10:55 PM
Ah. DMG p. 203 has some diminutive familiars, including diminutive screech owl, thrush, and bat, and fine-sized mouse. That's a good start.

Apparently the hummingbird (as a familiar) uses the thrush stats, which is kind of odd. A hummingbird must at least have good maneuverability so it would be able to hover.

Are there other diminutive or fine animals?

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-19, 11:27 PM
Was hedgehog in there? I could have sworn it was. :smallconfused:

Anyways, either PHB2, Comp. Scoundrel, or Spell Compendium had a set of first level druid spells. One turned you into a tiny fish, the other into a bird. I don't remember if they had stats listed or not, but the fish form could be useful.

Best be is going to be to look in anything that has a list of familiars. Someone should have a link to that particular handbook around here.