PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Using (Su) & (Sp) while polymorphed

Someonelse
2015-04-19, 09:37 PM
I've tried looking this up online but I keep getting links to WotC that just end up with 404 errors.

Anyway, I'm working on an adventure where I have a dragon using polymorph any object to appear as a human. In human form, can he use his breath weapon and spell like abilities? I'm sure he can still cast his other sorcerer spells. And he would basically have his same hit dice and skills but his Str, Dex and Con would all drop down to 11.

Is this right?

GilesTheCleric
2015-04-19, 09:40 PM
Try replacing the "www" in each link with "archive". Example working page: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/lists

I've always avoided poly effects, so I can't answer the rest of your question.

Edit: Rubik also has a mirror (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5Q9O1xtidQ5aVhaUXlZc1B3Zkk&usp=sharing) of the WotC web material.

Rubik
2015-04-19, 09:54 PM
I've tried looking this up online but I keep getting links to WotC that just end up with 404 errors.

Anyway, I'm working on an adventure where I have a dragon using polymorph any object to appear as a human. In human form, can he use his breath weapon and spell like abilities? I'm sure he can still cast his other sorcerer spells. And he would basically have his same hit dice and skills but his Str, Dex and Con would all drop down to 11.

Is this right?PAO inherits from Polymorph which inherits from Alter Self.

You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack). Since humans have mouths, a dragon PAO'd into one can still use his breath weapon. The same goes for his Sp abilities.

JDL
2015-04-19, 09:54 PM
You need to read through the nested set of rules to get the answer you want.

Polymorph Any Object states: "This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another."

Polymorph states: "This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature."

Alter Self states: "You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack)."

So yes. You keep your breath weapon as well as any supernatural and spell-like abilities you previously possessed.

Rubik
2015-04-19, 09:56 PM
You need to read through the nested set of rules to get the answer you want.

Polymorph Any Object states: "This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another."

Polymorph states: "This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature."

Alter Self states: "You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack)."

So yes. You keep your breath weapon as well as any supernatural and spell-like abilities you previously possessed.Ha ha.

Ninja'd you. :smalltongue:

Someonelse
2015-04-19, 10:08 PM
Thanks! :)