PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make Riven from League.

Reprimand
2015-04-19, 11:21 PM
So I'm trying to make Riven from League of Legends as a pathfinder character and I've decided on using a fighter with the unbreakable archetype because it fits for the most part. Does anyone have feat/skill advice for a mixed two handed/one handed weapon user that's trying to maintain high mobility.

Or can someone teach me a bit about path of war and options that might match up thematically?

I'm also looking for a 3.5 equivalent other than plain swordsage because I'm trying to make this as close to full bab as possible. Warblade might work but again trying to maintain mobility.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-20, 01:46 AM
I'm not really that versed in Pathfinder, so I am unfortunately unable to provide much help for your problem. However, is there any particular reason that you recreated this same thread, when your last one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409291-Help-with-Riven-from-League-of-Legends-in-D-amp-D!&highlight=Riven) isn't even a week old?

A simple bump to the last one would probably have been more efficient.

NineThePuma
2015-04-20, 02:22 AM
So I'm trying to make Riven from League of Legends as a pathfinder character and I've decided on using a fighter with the unbreakable archetype because it fits for the most part. Does anyone have feat/skill advice for a mixed two handed/one handed weapon user that's trying to maintain high mobility.

Or can someone teach me a bit about path of war and options that might match up thematically?

I'm also looking for a 3.5 equivalent other than plain swordsage because I'm trying to make this as close to full bab as possible. Warblade might work but again trying to maintain mobility.

Broken Blade, from Path of War, is not actually at all appropriate for Riven. I was very disappointed to learn that and I suspect you are too.

Path of War is, essentially, "Pathfinder Tome of Battle" and is fairly easy to pick up if you're already familiar. I strongly suggest a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with a focus on Scarlet Throne and Thrashing Dragon with a little bit of Golden Lion. There's also a feat that is pseudo-power attack that gives Temp HP on a successful hit. Covers the basics. Only thing it can't do is Windslash, but... martials.

Vhaidara
2015-04-20, 11:07 AM
Only thing it can't do is Windslash, but... martials.

Mithral Current gets you that. Once I talk Elric into making the higher level versions cones instead of just ranged attacks, anyways.

Xerlith
2015-04-20, 11:12 AM
Seconding what was said above: A Bushi Zweihander Sentinel Warder does all you'd expect from Riven, almost from the very first level.
You get multi-target attacks, general mobility and resilience. Scarlet Throne + Mithral Current all the way.

Reprimand
2015-04-20, 02:33 PM
I'm not really that versed in Pathfinder, so I am unfortunately unable to provide much help for your problem. However, is there any particular reason that you recreated this same thread, when your last one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409291-Help-with-Riven-from-League-of-Legends-in-D-amp-D!&highlight=Riven) isn't even a week old?

A simple bump to the last one would probably have been more efficient.

Oh crap I forgot I made this already... I've been rather scatter brained with school work and finals I'm sorry. Also it was orginally titled something else but it was I changed it to be closer to what I was asking. Also I was asking about 3.5 in that thread for the most part. Now I (mostly) want pf or feat/skill suggestions and I always feel guilty double posting to bump a thread.

A Bushi Zweihander Sentinel Warder does all you'd expect from Riven, almost from the very first level.
You get multi-target attacks, general mobility and resilience. Scarlet Throne + Mithral Current all the way.

Is the Bushi Zweihander Sentinel Warder a Warder archetype? I have the path of war book but I've never read the whole thing.

From the sound of it, I think it will work very well for me!

EDIT: I found the Zweihander Sentinel archetype but what is the Bushi thing?

I found bushi but I'm not sure it works for the concept or is that the only way I can get mithril current?

I also found mithril current and it looks freaking great! though I'm not sure which school I should give up...

Xerlith
2015-04-20, 03:04 PM
The Bushi (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hHsiSKoL2nR4oWgzPKQwXfqYENuNkDmBiX323SlTPfc/edit) is from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?406639-Dreamscarred-Press-Path-of-War-Expanded!-(Discussion-Thread-III)). Path of War Expanded.

Reprimand
2015-04-20, 03:06 PM
Okay thank you!

Any idea which school would be best to give up for mithril current? I'm thinking Primal Fury since it doesn't share a skill with another style I need otherwise I'd get rid of Broken Blade. But it shares acrobatics with Thrashing Dragon.

Mithral Current looks delicious :o

NineThePuma
2015-04-20, 03:49 PM
Mithral Current gets you that. Once I talk Elric into making the higher level versions cones instead of just ranged attacks, anyways.

I deliberately did not include material from the ongoing playtest. It's not Released and much less GM friendly.

Vhaidara
2015-04-20, 04:07 PM
Okay thank you!

Any idea which school would be best to give up for mithril current? I'm thinking Primal Fury since it doesn't share a skill with another style I need otherwise I'd get rid of Broken Blade. But it shares acrobatics with Thrashing Dragon.

Mithral Current looks delicious :o

Well, hopefully that will stop being a problem. The biggest complaint they are receiving is about just having a line that guarantees access to the Discipline skill of every discipline you have.

IIRC (haven't used her in forever), Riven never two hands her sword, so losing Primal Fury shouldn't be a problem. I also don't think any of its abilities fit her, so no loss there.

NineThePuma
2015-04-20, 04:16 PM
IIRC (haven't used her in forever), Riven never two hands her sword, so losing Primal Fury shouldn't be a problem. I also don't think any of its abilities fit her, so no loss there.

She never two hands because most of the time it's only half of a fullblade.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-04-20, 08:34 PM
She never two hands because most of the time it's only half of a fullblade.

To be fair, even when it is full, she doesn't two-hand it. I think the only time she ever grabs it in both arms is during her recall animation on the Championship skin (or whatever its proper name is).

That being said, using two-handed weapons and disciplines would still "fit," if only because she never has anything in her off-hand.

Reprimand
2015-04-20, 08:57 PM
To be fair, even when it is full, she doesn't two-hand it. I think the only time she ever grabs it in both arms is during her recall animation on the Championship skin (or whatever its proper name is).

That being said, using two-handed weapons and disciplines would still "fit," if only because she never has anything in her off-hand.

It's Championship Riven I have it too! : P

But in her lore she never does use two hands to wield the sword since he learned to wield a full long sword when she was only just as tall as one. A Longsword is what 3 ft in length so by the time she was 3 feet tall she could wield a military issue longsword With that kind of strength you would easily wield a great or bastard sword by the time you fully mature. I can probably just get my DM to let me fluff that I'm holding nothing while still taking all the normally pros and cons of wielding in two hands. It would make sense to progressively scale up over time so I'm sure he'd let me.

As for the broken blade I can probably just fluff that as well or homebrew a weapon that deals damage as a long sword and as combat goes on it scales up only to fall apart again after combat.

So like Shortsword -> Longsword -> Bastard Sword -> Greatsword -> Windslash can be used but the sword damage resets if used.

And it could be something I earn through the story. Not something usable at level 1.

While mithral current and Golden Lion shout effects could be my natural ability to effect wind and focus ki into a shout the sword can amplify the maneuvers' size and shape through whatever means my DM feels like using.

So I can still use standard effects but homebrew the weapon to alter them.