PDA

View Full Version : Immortality

martixy
2015-04-20, 04:15 AM
So, I have this concept floating in my head about a mad scientist kinda wizard andT̶̠̐̿ḩ̥͇̺̲͔̮̩ͦe̛͖͔̘ͬ̽ ̶̘̖̰͈̿͛̑̔̐̆B͔̱͙̺̪̉ͨo̤͍̝̝̩͐̅̽ͥͥ̍o̮͖͙̺͎̺ͮ͛͋ͨ̓ͧͣ͡ͅk̿̃ ̾ͪ͂ͯͦ̎͂͏̧͔̭ ̸̢͓͍̬̭͔ͨ̇͐̕ò̵̞̼̤̚f̥̻͓͙͓͚̋̍ͥ̚C̴̢̉ͬ̀ͤ̓̿ͪ͂̈́̈̑̓̅̈́͐̿͡͏ ̧̮͚͈̞̯̮ͅh̨̨̭͔̰̙̦̼̞͎̹̲̬̩̦͐͆̈ͥͣ͛̌͐ͯͫ̀́̈́͋̚t͆̄͂ͧ͐̄̂͋͌ͯ ̶̰̤̣̲̪̱̮͔̖̣͉̹̫̘̯͈͙̈̎ͨ͌͊ͬ̃͒͘͜͜͠ų̶̯͉͔̳̪̝ͣ̇̌͛ͫ̃̑͑̄̉͐ lͯ̈̂̓̋҉̤̫͉̖͙̯̝̬͓̜̯͉͉͖̻̬͔̟̀́͘̕h̸̡ͫ̈ͮͥ͂̈́ͦ͒̊͊͋̈́̀̌ͥ̿͌͡ ̙͓̠̬̼̜͔͎͍̻̳̱̬̠̼̩ͅū̵͇̱͇̰̩̥̻͓͕̖̟̗͚̣̙̦̤̘̦̎̒̀ͯͨ̂͌̋̕͘͠ ... Er, Lords of Madness that is, seems to offer the perfect opportunity. With the aberrant feats and the grafts and the grafting class. Simply delightful.
But as part of the overarching theme of self-perfection I also wanted to make the character immortal.
This landed me here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996
Now, it says the Fleshwarper provides the road to that goal. But I've read the class definition forwards and backwards, and nowhere does it specify anything to that effect. And simply transforming into an "aberration" type by the end doesn't seem to confer any extended longevity either.

Also, on a related note. If I take a few aberrant feats and then take this PrC to its logical conclusion, do I lose the benefits of those feats, given that they require "humanoid" type and I'm now an aberration?

JoranShadeslayr
2015-04-20, 04:53 AM
If you want to become immortal and don't mind 3rd party material, Secret College of Necromancy from Green Ronin has an 8th level spell called immortality. It halts the aging process at the age you are when you cast the spell. You no longer take penalties to physical ability scores but still gain bonuses to mental ability scores, and gain immunity to normal poisons and disease. Material component is a periapt of wisdom +6.

martixy
2015-04-20, 05:12 AM
Only 8th level? The gods must be feeling generous (even with a 36k component).

But, anyway I happened to actually read the little disclaimer in that thread, just a few lines up.
Tl;dr, immortality by the grace of the dm only(if you manage to make a good case).

Wedded to history it is! If it flies anyway.

Kraken
2015-04-20, 05:49 AM
My favorite immortality solution:

Cast polymorph any object and turn a rock into a human
Subdue the human so that they will be helpless for the duration of the next step (and anesthetize them if you're so inclined)
Cast steal life (Book of Vile Darkness), and add as many weeks back to your life as you're so inclined
Let polymorph any object's duration expire, and the human will turn back into a rock, and be no worse off

This lets you comfortably park yourself at venerable age and stay there indefinitely, if you'd like. If you're unable to cast these spells yourself, you can simply acquire scrolls. You only need to do it once a year or so, less if you turn the rock into something with more stats to drain - steal life grants you one week per ability point drained. Just be sure you can contain whatever creature you intend to create with polymorph any object.

Segev
2015-04-20, 06:57 AM
You could create a permanent magic item of magic jar, transferring your soul out of your body indefinitely. Have a dozen or more bodies with customized grafts to complement your feats which warp and change whatever body you're possessing, and then change bodies the way lesser fashonistas change outfits.

Cicciograna
2015-04-20, 10:33 AM
So, I have this concept floating in my head about a mad scientist kinda wizard andT̶̠̐̿ḩ̥͇̺̲͔̮̩ͦe̛͖͔̘ͬ̽ ̶̘̖̰͈̿͛̑̔̐̆B͔̱͙̺̪̉ͨo̤͍̝̝̩͐̅̽ͥͥ̍o̮͖͙̺͎̺ͮ͛͋ͨ̓ͧͣ͡ͅk̿̃ ̾ͪ͂ͯͦ̎͂͏̧͔̭ ̸̢͓͍̬̭͔ͨ̇͐̕ò̵̞̼̤̚f̥̻͓͙͓͚̋̍ͥ̚C̴̢̉ͬ̀ͤ̓̿ͪ͂̈́̈̑̓̅̈́͐̿͡͏ ̧̮͚͈̞̯̮ͅh̨̨̭͔̰̙̦̼̞͎̹̲̬̩̦͐͆̈ͥͣ͛̌͐ͯͫ̀́̈́͋̚t͆̄͂ͧ͐̄̂͋͌ͯ ̶̰̤̣̲̪̱̮͔̖̣͉̹̫̘̯͈͙̈̎ͨ͌͊ͬ̃͒͘͜͜͠ų̶̯͉͔̳̪̝ͣ̇̌͛ͫ̃̑͑̄̉͐ lͯ̈̂̓̋҉̤̫͉̖͙̯̝̬͓̜̯͉͉͖̻̬͔̟̀́͘̕h̸̡ͫ̈ͮͥ͂̈́ͦ͒̊͊͋̈́̀̌ͥ̿͌͡ ̙͓̠̬̼̜͔͎͍̻̳̱̬̠̼̩ͅū̵͇̱͇̰̩̥̻͓͕̖̟̗͚̣̙̦̤̘̦̎̒̀ͯͨ̂͌̋̕͘͠ ... Er, Lords of Madness that is, seems to offer the perfect opportunity. With the aberrant feats and the grafts and the grafting class. Simply delightful.
But as part of the overarching theme of self-perfection I also wanted to make the character immortal.
This landed me here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996
Now, it says the Fleshwarper provides the road to that goal. But I've read the class definition forwards and backwards, and nowhere does it specify anything to that effect. And simply transforming into an "aberration" type by the end doesn't seem to confer any extended longevity either.

Also, on a related note. If I take a few aberrant feats and then take this PrC to its logical conclusion, do I lose the benefits of those feats, given that they require "humanoid" type and I'm now an aberration?

Sorry, completely unrelated, but I have to ask: how did you manage to write that...stuff with all that...stuff in your first line? You know, Book of Cthulhu.

Necroticplague
2015-04-20, 10:45 AM
Sorry, completely unrelated, but I have to ask: how did you manage to write that...stuff with all that...stuff in your first line? You know, Book of Cthulhu.

Well, manually, it's just a matter of adding letter modifiers (umlaut, accent marks, and similar) to the point where they overflow the letter's space and start doing wierd things. Less manually, there are text generators that can apply the process pseudo-randomly to achieve the effect (eeemo.net being the one I know of).

Back to the main topic: for a slightly less evil version of that steal life plan, binding neberius would let you gain stats back as fast as they are drained, meaning that you can drain yourself infinitely for more weeks of life. One night of draining can put you several years younger. Try not to think about how exactly that works too hard.

Val666
2015-04-20, 11:02 AM
Take Weeded to history at level 1, play an Elan :v
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat)

Elans are aberrations already .-. and you only need to breathe and sleep, you don't have to eat anymore :v Weeded to History prevents you from aging :3

Segev
2015-04-20, 11:19 AM
Take Weeded to history at level 1, play an Elan :v
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wedded_to_History_(3.5e_Feat)

Elans are aberrations already .-. and you only need to breathe and sleep, you don't have to eat anymore :v Weeded to History prevents you from aging :3

Elan already have no upper limit to their age.

atemu1234
2015-04-20, 12:32 PM
Elan already have no upper limit to their age.

And can alter self into a Beholder with ease

Segev
2015-04-20, 12:44 PM
And can alter self into a Beholder with ease

Though with an 18 Int, turning into one with PAO has a permanent duration and makes you count as one for such purposes as, say, entering certain PrCs.

Petrocorus
2015-04-20, 04:13 PM
Though with an 18 Int, turning into one with PAO has a permanent duration and makes you count as one for such purposes as, say, entering certain PrCs.

Not sure if it works without an Assume Supernatural Ability first.

JDL
2015-04-20, 05:18 PM
Step 1: Find a druid able to cast Reincarnate (or buy a really expensive wand and get someone with UMD)

Step 2: Die

Step 3: Reincarnate into a young body

Step 4: Profit

martixy
2015-04-20, 05:50 PM
Step 1: Find a druid able to cast Reincarnate (or buy a really expensive wand and get someone with UMD)

Step 2: Die

Step 3: Reincarnate into a young body

Step 4: Profit
You seem to be completely missing the point of the entire character.

Now, I really like elans as a concept, especially with the "no need for food or drink" and the Su's, and then you can tack on a Construct brain for no sleep too! And Heart for no disease, poison and the like(though half healing is kinda steep).
...but they are already aberrations and so cannot benefit from the aberrant feats(and those are nice mechanically and kinda central to the theme of the character).
Having a pair of prehensile tentacles really helps when scribing scrolls and shuffling magic components around, let me tell ya...
And I could not find any template that changes type to Humanoid. It's always from humanoid to something else.

The magic jar is a very nice, but ultimately expensive idea(given the cost of maintaining so many bodies), at least until past level 16-17 or so.
But is there some way to acquire soul-less bodies? Cuz the character is not really evil... just with a different mindset. He wouldn't purposefully hurt innocent folk just for his own gain, even if that's his ultimate goal.

Necroticplague
2015-04-20, 08:28 PM
You seem to be completely missing the point of the entire character.

Now, I really like elans as a concept, especially with the "no need for food or drink" and the Su's, and then you can tack on a Construct brain for no sleep too! And Heart for no disease, poison and the like(though half healing is kinda steep).
...but they are already aberrations and so cannot benefit from the aberrant feats(and those are nice mechanically and kinda central to the theme of the character).
Having a pair of prehensile tentacles really helps when scribing scrolls and shuffling magic components around, let me tell ya...
And I could not find any template that changes type to Humanoid. It's always from humanoid to something else.

The magic jar is a very nice, but ultimately expensive idea(given the cost of maintaining so many bodies), at least until past level 16-17 or so.
But is there some way to acquire soul-less bodies? Cuz the character is not really evil... just with a different mindset. He wouldn't purposefully hurt innocent folk just for his own gain, even if that's his ultimate goal.

On templates: pretty much anything humanoid in shape can be wrung though a dustform-incarnate construct combination to make them Humanoid if they're medium or smaller. Only problem is, this pretty much scrubs all special qualities, so you lose out on pretty much everything interesting about Elans (except for the immmortality).

Also, anyone else find it kinda odd aberrations can't take aberration blood?

Bodies are relatively easy to find. This character would be part of a typical adventuring party, correct? Just take one of the bodies of the pile of corpses your everyday activities produce. That failing, there are rules for buying creatures both as slaves and as warbeasts. Warbeasts are priced by HD, so you can get bodies pimped out with all sorts of template for not much money (limited to animals, vermin, and magical beasts, though).Slaves, on the other hand, are priced by CR, so you can get some pretty beefy forms if you find a low CR meatwall. No reason to assume a dead one can't use either of these rules (typically how I've seen people price bodies for necromancer builds).