PDA

View Full Version : Question about Psionics

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-15, 09:13 PM
Now, I'm quite familiar with the mechanics of psionics, and I like the system a lot.

But.

What is the point of the various displays, and is there any reason why I shouldn't swap a display of type X for one of type Y for my campaign?

Jasdoif
2007-04-15, 10:30 PM
Because manifesting a power is a purely mental action, there's no direct way of knowing that a power is being manifested until it takes effect (perhaps not even then). Hence, displays are there to make it apparent that something is going on, in the same way that a spellcaster waving their hands or spouting strange phrases does.

Beyond that, it's mostly just flavor. Some displays shouldn't be hidden/changed, though; any power whose display includes "see text" (astral construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralConstruct.htm) and control sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlSound.htm) come to mind) should be looked at before you decide to alter its display. Having control sound have a display that isn't auditory doesn't really make much sense.

Other then that, it should be fine to swap displays around. An energy cone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyCone.htm) with an olfactory display could smell like jalapeņos when used to cause fire damage, for instance. Or maybe not, but that just amuses me to consider :smalltongue:

Lemur
2007-04-15, 10:59 PM
I think the only potential concern for switching things around deals with displays that don't automatically give away the manifester, since a psion can avoid direct identification with certain powers depending on the display the power has.

Even so, I doubt any real problems or abuses would arise from changing the displays around, especially since a psion can supress displays entirely with a concentration check if he wants to avoid notice that badly.

TheOOB
2007-04-16, 12:32 AM
The only realy point of displays (asside from specific displays for individual powers), is to add a little flavor to psionics and make it more interesting then "I think and stuff happens" Unfortunatly the displays are pretty poorly implemented being rather generic and bland.

You can tell how unimportant displays are to the overall design of psionics by how easy they are to suppress, it's a fairly easy check from a skill every psionic character takes ranks in. Spellcasters have to use metamagic feats to trump their components, while psionics only have a skill check.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-16, 07:50 AM
Only reasons to not swap a display:
The display currently written better matches the flavor of the power.
In some cases, the display is part of the power. As mentioned above, such a power typically has "see text" written by the display entry. Astral construct has a visual display because you can see the construct. Control sound's auditory display consists of the power going off. And so forth.
Beyond those, displays are almost pure flavor. At low levels, before it has become entirely trivial to supress all display with a Concentration check, they do serve as a "warning light," letting characters know something really funny is going on, even when a power has no otherwise obvious effect.

There may be a few game balance considerations in certain display assignments. A few displays are easier to conceal or dismiss than others. Most people would just pause, lost in the momentary memory brought about by an Olfactory display then go about there normal business half a second later without getting too worked up about it. (Though it may prompt them to contact a long-lost friend later that week...) Meanwhile, people will react to a Visual display much the same they would to seeing a spell cast. Though the Visual display may be more intimidating than Somatic and Verbal components. Still, since it is easy to suppress displays with a Concentration check, any balance thought in display assignment is an extremely minor consideration. There really shouldn't be any problem with switching displays around, even if it were changing a Visual to Olfactory or vice versa.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 07:52 AM
If someone Mindthrusts you, do you know who did it?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-16, 08:50 AM
Only if the manifester chooses to issue the Auditory display such that it manifests from him or herself, you can hear the display, and there is no one else standing near the manifester. Other than that, there's really no way to tell. Though, even if you make your save, you can tell you've been the subject of an attack. Characters always know when they've made a saving throw.

Counterspin
2007-04-16, 12:36 PM
Plus, it's only a DC 15 concentration check to supress the display, so pretty quickly a character can hide the source of the psionic events even more effectively.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 01:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback, everybody.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your feedback, everybody.

...no pun intended, of course.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 02:02 PM
No, no pun intended.

martyboy74
2007-04-16, 02:05 PM
In some cases, the display is part of the power. As mentioned above, such a power typically has "see text" written by the display entry. Astral construct has a visual display because you can see the construct. Control sound's auditory display consists of the power going off. And so forth.
Does that mean that manifesting Astral Construct without the display creates an invisible Astral Construct? :smallamused: