PDA

View Full Version : One Piece: Gear IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-20, 08:51 AM
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/Soras_Teva_Gee/90244117-5d07-4fb6-90f2-17f7685d05a8.jpg (http://ferdiferrah.deviantart.com/art/Luffy-super-saiyajin-278219922)
"I am real Super Sand Cyan!"

Previous threads:
One Piece -- Discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166585)
One Piece II: Piece, Red Piece, Blue Piece. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268295)
One Piece III: Cups! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?321349-One-Piece-III-Cups!)

AtlanteanTroll
2015-04-20, 08:57 AM
And that joke went over my head until a quick Google check.

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-20, 09:01 AM
And that joke went over my head until a quick Google check.

I got a three for one but I refuse to explain all of them.

Iruka
2015-04-20, 09:51 AM
I got a three for one but I refuse to explain all of them.

Would someone else be willing to explain?

Sigh
2015-04-20, 09:53 AM
Who wants to bet that if there's a Gear 5 it'll be completely defensive in use?

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-20, 12:36 PM
Who wants to bet that if there's a Gear 5 it'll be completely defensive in use?

Nah next level will be Gear God.

Sigh
2015-04-20, 02:33 PM
Nah next level will be Gear God.

What no clearly they'll save that for when they're making OP movies 10 years after the show and manga have ended.

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-20, 04:12 PM
What no clearly they'll save that for when they're making OP movies 10 years after the show and manga have ended.

So Battle of Pirates premiering sometime 2040?

Dasgovernator
2015-04-20, 04:22 PM
So Battle of Pirates premiering sometime 2040?

You think it'll end that soon? :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2015-04-20, 11:43 PM
You think it'll end that soon? :smalltongue:

Someone is going to do lost century at some point.

Razade
2015-04-21, 02:17 AM
Would someone else be willing to explain?

It's supposed to be "I'm a Super Saiyan". Though Saiyan and Cyan aren't pronounced the same way.

ben-zayb
2015-04-23, 03:30 AM
So it is indeed haki based...and it just makes sense with his growth; Gear 2 operated similar to Soru, which is a powerful technique introduced to him that time. And then we have this CoA-heavy technique that is blended with his DF's recoil property.

Dangit Franky will be so jelly that Luffy now turned into a heavy bom:smallcool:ber.

Iruka
2015-04-23, 03:31 AM
It's supposed to be "I'm a Super Saiyan". Though Saiyan and Cyan aren't pronounced the same way.

Ah, I thought there was a pun ( or several) in the name of the thread.

Kato
2015-04-23, 03:49 AM
Aw, not my suggested edition of "th" to the title? :smalltongue:

Aw, it's so... strange. So, Luffy turns from skinny to muscle beast and uses the fact that you can store energy in an elastic thing to increase his damage... well, that's not too bad. I maybe expected something a little more flashy but it's fine. Mingo getting his various body parts kicked gives me such satisfaction.

Razade
2015-04-23, 03:50 AM
So great. This chapter was amazing and worth the wait.

chainer1216
2015-04-23, 05:34 AM
*begins foaming at the mouth like Barto*

the return of nightmare luffy!

Soras Teva Gee
2015-04-23, 06:39 AM
Ahahahahahahahah that freaking hilarious. This week on One Piece GT.... what a nightmare!

Seems like Bellamy will be defeating Doffy after all. :smallwink:

LaZodiac
2015-04-23, 10:19 AM
I'VE SPENT TWO YEARS FIGHTING HUGE MUSCLE WEIRDOS.

SO I DECIDED...TO BECOME SWOLE AS ****!

Gear Fourth was worth the wait.

Tvtyrant
2015-04-23, 12:43 PM
So he basically stole Bellamy's power and added it to his own? I have to say it has been worth the wait :smallsmile:

Dasgovernator
2015-04-24, 04:36 PM
So he basically stole Bellamy's power and added it to his own? I have to say it has been worth the wait :smallsmile:

Kind of fitting too, considering how low of an opinion Doffy had of Bellamy. Don't piss off Luffy or he'll beat you to death with Irony.

That being said--Dammit Luffy, why did you punch the guy who is perfectly willing and capable of using human shields into a crowd of innocent bystanders. Doffy's probably getting desperate (I doubt he can take much more abuse from Luffy at this rate since he's clearly become outclassed, and unlike G2 or G3 there doesn't seem to be any downside to G4 that can be exploited like what Lucci did), and he's in what he probably considers a win-or-die situation. I'm expecting one last heinous move from him before he finally goes down.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-04-24, 05:18 PM
The good, Gear 4 makes sense in what we have seen how Luffy's powers act

The bad, It is freaking ugly as heck and that is terrible since we will be seeing luffy use it a lot going foreward.

Areswargod139
2015-04-24, 05:39 PM
The good, Gear 4 makes sense in what we have seen how Luffy's powers act

The bad, It is freaking ugly as heck and that is terrible since we will be seeing luffy use it a lot going foreward.

Much like Naruto's demon mode, I suspect it will get a redesign somewhere down the road.:smallcool:

Sigh
2015-04-24, 06:40 PM
Much like Naruto's demon mode, I suspect it will get a redesign somewhere down the road.:smallcool:

This is assuming that there aren't other "modes" involved in this new Gear, remember that when he invented Gears 2 and 3 he didn't name them "Steam Man" and "Balloon Man", but this new form is called "Poundman". To me this implies that there are other functions of Gear 4 that will involve other "-man"s.

Areswargod139
2015-04-24, 07:40 PM
This is assuming that there aren't other "modes" involved in this new Gear, remember that when he invented Gears 2 and 3 he didn't name them "Steam Man" and "Balloon Man", but this new form is called "Poundman". To me this implies that there are other functions of Gear 4 that will involve other "-man"s.

Did anyone else think of megaman?:smallsmile:

ben-zayb
2015-04-24, 11:08 PM

So sorta like Chopper and Franky having other freakish forms? I like it!

chainer1216
2015-04-24, 11:28 PM

Or like zoros asura, it'll never show up again.

LaZodiac
2015-04-24, 11:34 PM

Implying it won't show up again...

Lord of the Helms
2015-04-25, 11:36 AM

Actually, that one did get used a second time during the Saobody Pacifista fight pre-timeskip. It hasn't shown up post-timeskip, but to be fair, Zoro hasn't really had a truly challenging fight since then, unless you count his brief encounters with Fujitora that were always cut short.

LordRahl6
2015-04-25, 03:15 PM
Change of subject people, but how long until we wrap up the Dressrosa arc? Considering we finally reached the Curb Stomping of Doflimingo can't be more than twenty chapters.:smallamused:

Sigh
2015-04-25, 06:00 PM
So sorta like Chopper and Franky having other freakish forms? I like it!

I personally foresee at least one other form that imitates an elephant, with an enlarged torso covered in Haki along with enlarged hands also Haki'd up, leaving the arms and legs along with his head exposed. This form would be used for bull-rushing and similar wall-breaking uses.

Along side that I could also see another form that wholeheartedly imitates a snake as opposed to just the one attack that Luffy's arm used near the end of the latest chapter. Kind of have it be like a boa constrictor where it would be used for close combat grappling and wrapping around opponents to restrict their movements, as well as using all 4 of his limbs to do the whole "fist geppo" thing at once for those opponents that are REALLY fast or sneaky.

ben-zayb
2015-04-26, 02:11 AM
I personally foresee at least one other form that imitates an elephant, with an enlarged torso covered in Haki along with enlarged hands also Haki'd up, leaving the arms and legs along with his head exposed. This form would be used for bull-rushing and similar wall-breaking uses.

Along side that I could also see another form that wholeheartedly imitates a snake as opposed to just the one attack that Luffy's arm used near the end of the latest chapter. Kind of have it be like a boa constrictor where it would be used for close combat grappling and wrapping around opponents to restrict their movements, as well as using all 4 of his limbs to do the whole "fist geppo" thing at once for those opponents that are REALLY fast or sneaky.

I support Luffy having 4th gear forms that upgrades for his DF techniques, sorta how his "cannon" abilities are upgraded to a legit cannon-like figure, so yeah, the elephant form would be great.

However, one thing I noticed with Gear 4 is that it's the opposite principle of Gear 3's power through expansion, so having a tightly compressed elephant form instead and expanded one might look weird and anathema to what the elephant represents.

Dasgovernator
2015-04-26, 01:09 PM
Change of subject people, but how long until we wrap up the Dressrosa arc? Considering we finally reached the Curb Stomping of Doflimingo can't be more than twenty chapters.:smallamused:

I'd say ~10. Doffy's not down yet and I get the impression that he's got one more dirty trick up his sleeve, and we still have to deal with whatever Sabo is running off to do. Add in a few more panels of civilians running away from the birdcage and the general reaction shots, and the fighting will probably end around 788-790. After that we have a whole mess of repercussions to deal with (since this is the first time the Straw Hats are actually upsetting the balance of power in the New World), not to mention the dozens of gladiator fighters, Fujitora, etc. and we still have no idea what's happened to the rest of the SHs who are dealing with the Big Mom pirates.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-04-26, 11:30 PM
I'd say ~10. Doffy's not down yet and I get the impression that he's got one more dirty trick up his sleeve, and we still have to deal with whatever Sabo is running off to do. Add in a few more panels of civilians running away from the birdcage and the general reaction shots, and the fighting will probably end around 788-790. After that we have a whole mess of repercussions to deal with (since this is the first time the Straw Hats are actually upsetting the balance of power in the New World), not to mention the dozens of gladiator fighters, Fujitora, etc. and we still have no idea what's happened to the rest of the SHs who are dealing with the Big Mom pirates.

At this point, I am willing to bet that the other SHs are captured, we have seen nothing of them since the start of the Big Mom attack so they are either defeated and need to be rescued.

OR...

Birdcage locked Big Mom's forces outside in a hilarious way that shaved Lion faces guy mane off in some way.

AtlanteanTroll
2015-04-27, 04:26 PM
I'm curious where people got a translation saying this was Gear 4th "Poundman." Mine said "Boundman" as in, someone who bounces. Leaps and bounds, etc.

Forrestfire
2015-04-27, 04:34 PM
The one I read had Boundman with a note saying it was the kanji for "bounce man."

Sigh
2015-04-27, 06:48 PM
Mine was the (probably done by fans) MangaPanda translation. Bouceman would make more sense, but I guess we'll need to wait for a more official source to verify which is right.

Dasgovernator
2015-05-02, 11:32 PM
Early Spoilers are the best Spoilers

Well, I told ya he had one more trick up his sleeve. Though I really want to see what an awakened Paramecia looks like, because I have no idea what that would actually refer to, and the actual spoilers are unclear. He turns people into strings and has them attack?

ben-zayb
2015-05-03, 07:45 AM
Early Spoilers are the best Spoilers

Well, I told ya he had one more trick up his sleeve. Though I really want to see what an awakened Paramecia looks like, because I have no idea what that would actually refer to, and the actual spoilers are unclear. He turns people into strings and has them attack?
Awakened Paramecia instead enables the user to have the DF effect manifest on or affect the objects around him/her, so in Dofla's case that likely means turning objects string-like? Kinda like already-existing DFs (Diamante's, Inazuma's, etc), to be honest.

Sigh
2015-05-03, 11:30 AM
New episode this week, we end on Luffy and co. getting to the next level while the Gladitorial combatants keep the Executives busy, but they seem to have been set upon by giant mechanical monstrosities. Is that also in the manga?

GreenSerpent
2015-05-03, 11:53 AM
Just so people know, awakened devil fruits have appeared before. The Demon Guards in Impel Down are stated as being awakened Zoan users.

From this, and I'm just guessing here:

Awakened Paramecia have highly variable effects (like Paramecia fruits).
Awakened Zoans are effectively Monster forms of their animal (aka Chopper artificially awakes his fruit when he goes into Monster Point).
Awakened Logia are a simple size+power up (like Enel's final form).

ALSO... Regarding Kaido being described as the strongest creature in the world.
If Kaido happened to be an awakened Zoan user who was stuck in Monster form he wouldn't technically be human.

LaZodiac
2015-05-03, 01:23 PM
New episode this week, we end on Luffy and co. getting to the next level while the Gladitorial combatants keep the Executives busy, but they seem to have been set upon by giant mechanical monstrosities. Is that also in the manga?

Yes, it is. Assuming you're talking about the big ole nutcracker things.

Dasgovernator
2015-05-03, 02:50 PM
Just so people know, awakened devil fruits have appeared before. The Demon Guards in Impel Down are stated as being awakened Zoan users.

From this, and I'm just guessing here:

Awakened Paramecia have highly variable effects (like Paramecia fruits).
Awakened Zoans are effectively Monster forms of their animal (aka Chopper artificially awakes his fruit when he goes into Monster Point).
Awakened Logia are a simple size+power up (like Enel's final form).

ALSO... Regarding Kaido being described as the strongest creature in the world.
If Kaido happened to be an awakened Zoan user who was stuck in Monster form he wouldn't technically be human.

Of course. I highly suspect Whitebeard's "I grab the fabric of the world and shake it" ability is the awakened power of his DF, and I suspect that one of Blackbeard's fruits powers are as well (either the negate-DF power, or however he took WB's DF). Croc's water-absorbing power could be as well, since that's pretty unique for a logia.

Though looking again, I think Doflamingo's awakened power has something to do with how autonomous his strings have been so far. I mean, the guy has fully functioning string clones, strings that perform impromptu surgery on his body from the inside, and can control dozens if not hundred of people with his parasite ability at once. That always bugged me, and this would be an interesting explanation for that.

ben-zayb
2015-05-07, 02:42 AM
That's quite a revelation...now which DF users we've alresdy met use an awakened DF? This also makes me think that there will inevitably be Awakened Logia (if there aren't already), likely with different rules. Zoans are physically better but instinct-driven, and Paramecias have their DF manifest on their surroundings, so maybe awakened logia simply allows the user external element manipulation instead of just turning into such elements themselves; this would mean that we already saw some of them, like Crocodile who was the one who first mentioned Awakening.

AtlanteanTroll
2015-05-07, 02:50 AM
So what would awakened Gum-Gum look like? Turning other things to rubber? Hmm.

Luffy's a badass this chapter. Enough said.

Kato
2015-05-07, 03:32 AM
I'd argue that the specific abilities of DF are a bit too random at times to make out clear Awakened users... Okay, a step back. It's kind of cool how Oda reveals a new possible powerup for Luffy which was kind of hinted at before. Though the only real mention I can recall (well, couldn't really, but it's definitely canon) were the jailers in Impel Down. I guess we could try to guess who may have been Awakened already (Law?) but without knowing how this happens or if you "know" that you're awakened, if it's like a huge jump in ability or just another step of mastery... I guess turning things to string is quite different from most things we have seen Mingo do, but this might just be the special effect of the String fruit...
Well, Oda certainly gave us a bunch to think about, anyway :smallbiggrin:

Though, two others notes:
1) "run even if your legs are broken"? Sorry, Riku but the eff? Nxt he'll tell them "run, even if you're in a coma". But it's, OP, spirit beats everything.
2) You can run out of Haki? Or, use too much haki? :smallconfused: We know Luffy's gears can drain his stamina or such, but using too much haki hasn't been anything we've seen so far, have we?

ben-zayb
2015-05-07, 06:07 AM
IOf course, it makes sense that haki has limits of its own or on the user's mind/body. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to not have it (armament, observation, and conqueror) on 100% of the time.

lord_khaine
2015-05-07, 07:23 AM
It honestly makes sense for any type of action to exhaust the wearer in some way.

But besides that the bit about an awakend DF were really interesting. It were hinted at earlier with the prison guards, who among other things seemed to have a insane recovery speed from being beaten down.

And looking back at things, this does look a lot like what Chopper has been doing artificially with his Rumble balls..?
Could it be his berserk mode is an artificial awakening of his DF?

Tectonic Robot
2015-05-07, 11:47 AM
That chapter was downright inspiring.

LordRahl6
2015-05-07, 12:16 PM
Liked the referencing of the Dressrosa as cage in their minds bit. Very Elegant.:smallcool:

Sliver
2015-05-07, 01:34 PM
I wonder how relevant the part about the factory being immune to string damage is going to be. Maybe they'll hide in it?

LaZodiac
2015-05-07, 02:17 PM
I wonder how relevant the part about the factory being immune to string damage is going to be. Maybe they'll hide in it?

The factory that has caused them so much pain becoming what saves them? Yes please. Though it was established other buildings weren't breaking either.

Dasgovernator
2015-05-09, 07:53 AM
Something I just noticed--On the cover to 785, it looks like Jinbe is taking the Poneglyph with him.

Sigh
2015-05-10, 07:22 PM
New episode is out. While I find the Zoro hype to be acceptable, I have to say I hope they play out some of these upcoming fights so as to allow the manga some breathing room, as it is us anime watchers are practically breathing down your collective necks.

Kato
2015-05-14, 03:54 AM
Ah, I forgot to talk about the factory last time... isn't sea stone kind... rare? Like, really rare? Kind of seems to me like building it out of gems with no real point, but then maybe I'm overestimating its value/rarity.

Luffy needs ten minutes to recharge before finally finishing Mingo. Sabo does what... well, I kind of expected him to do, keep Jesus in check. While a whole bunch of fodder attacks Mingo? Will they stand up even a minute to him?!

Otherwise really not much to say, I think. People are rallying behind the future king of pirates, huzzah! Most of them will probably die trying but oh well.

Lizard Lord
2015-05-14, 04:42 AM
Ah, I forgot to talk about the factory last time... isn't sea stone kind... rare? Like, really rare? Kind of seems to me like building it out of gems with no real point, but then maybe I'm overestimating its value/rarity.

Well the factory is very important so it would make sense that Mingo would want to insure that it survives Birdcage in the "off chance" he would ever need to use it.

lord_khaine
2015-05-14, 07:53 AM
Whohhoo! This is why Oda is the king of manga!

I really loved how even after going all out with his new mode, Luffy were still not able to defeat Flamingo on his own.
But got people rallying behind him to buy him time for a comeback because of his leadership and the inspiration he provides.
I honestly wish several other prominent authors would learn a little more from him...

LordRahl6
2015-05-15, 12:41 PM
Whohhoo! This is why Oda is the king of manga!

I really loved how even after going all out with his new mode, Luffy were still not able to defeat Flamingo on his own.
But got people rallying behind him to buy him time for a comeback because of his leadership and the inspiration he provides.
I honestly wish several other prominent authors would learn a little more from him...

Definitely loved the bit with Sabo coming to protect Luffy personally from Burgess.:smallbiggrin:

lord_khaine
2015-05-15, 02:30 PM
I actually liked the part about random gladiators rallying behind him more.

Sabo is rather cool, and seemingly at least in the same tier of strenght as Luffy, but he is already connected to Luffy.
Here we have "ordinary" people actually affecting the outcome of the final battle of the arc.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-15, 02:38 PM
Man Doffy is a tank. That guy has some serious damage resistance.

Dasgovernator
2015-05-15, 05:56 PM
I'm wondering what Zoro's doing though. This seems like something he should be in charge of dealing with, rather than leaving it to all the mooks. Hell, I bet he could finish Doflamingo off himself at this point, which would be a faster and more reliable method of ending the birdcage than whatever else he's trying.

Kato
2015-05-16, 05:55 AM
I'm wondering what Zoro's doing though. This seems like something he should be in charge of dealing with, rather than leaving it to all the mooks. Hell, I bet he could finish Doflamingo off himself at this point, which would be a faster and more reliable method of ending the birdcage than whatever else he's trying.

He's presumably trying to destroy the cage, somewhere... I'll agree, in logic terms it would make more sense for him to help out with Doffy, but OP doesn't run on logic :smalltongue: It runs on Shounen, and there you don't just team up to beat a baddy if you're the main character and his second in command*. From a story telling point of view this makes much more sense.

*exceptions may occur

Sigh
2015-05-16, 10:19 PM
Another new episode this week, Luffy and the other horse riders beat down those tin soldiers for the first time, we've gotten to the 500% hilarious scene with Franky kissing the Manager, and Mansherry has been located. Seriously though, we NEED to get some extended fight scenes in here right now so us anime cats don't actually catch up to you manga guys.

Also I like how even cats are affected by Sr. Pink's hard-boiledness.

Kato
2015-05-21, 03:44 AM
Another new episode this week, Luffy and the other horse riders beat down those tin soldiers for the first time, we've gotten to the 500% hilarious scene with Franky kissing the Manager, and Mansherry has been located. Seriously though, we NEED to get some extended fight scenes in here right now so us anime cats don't actually catch up to you manga guys.

Also I like how even cats are affected by Sr. Pink's hard-boiledness.

Hm, I guess I really need to check out the anime again...

Decent chapter even if little new. Zoro seems to have a hard time stopping the cage by himself. And... seastone is indestructible? Ugh, I hate indestructible stuff, it always makes you wonder how you build anything from it :smallsigh:

The gladiators are up and fighting again but Oda sets a voluntarily impossible count down which means someone will have to stop the cage, I guess. Or everyone dies. Sure :smalltongue:

lord_khaine
2015-05-21, 07:23 AM
yeah.. the hardness of seastone is also something i find really, really dumb.

To start with, if its that strong, why dont they make armor or weapons out of it to a larger degree?

Would leave it a lot more easy to swallow if it were just DF powers that could not break it :smallannoyed:

LordRahl6
2015-05-21, 08:33 AM
Hm, I guess I really need to check out the anime again...

Decent chapter even if little new. Zoro seems to have a hard time stopping the cage by himself. And... seastone is indestructible? Ugh, I hate indestructible stuff, it always makes you wonder how you build anything from it :smallsigh:

The gladiators are up and fighting again but Oda sets a voluntarily impossible count down which means someone will have to stop the cage, I guess. Or everyone dies. Sure :smalltongue:

yeah there were only a few things new, but those that were BIG DAMN MOMENTS. First the non-spoilery stuff, the Factory is coated in sea prism, yes, but its only indestructible to devil fruit powers. So that's why it isn't being demolished like the rest of Dressrosa. On to the spoilers...

Fun how Sabo announced that he was Luffy's other brother, and went on to woop Burgess's ass. For some reason on my part this is I've noticed his scar from being shot.:smallamused:

The bit with Flamingo's "awakened" devil fruit power gave me images of Evard's Black Tentacles.:smallbiggrin: Also regarding powers and the non-spoiler above I see no reason why Zoro's Haki enshrouded swords shouldn't be able to break the cage with the Samurai from Wakano's help.:smallwink:

Finally, Loved the bit with fighters from the Tournament and Kyros save the countrymen and women, but what was really FUNNY was how Oda set the dust up, it looks like at least some of it is coming out of Kyros old leg injury.:smalltongue:

DiscipleofBob
2015-05-21, 09:02 AM

To start with, if its that strong, why dont they make armor or weapons out of it to a larger degree?

Would leave it a lot more easy to swallow if it were just DF powers that could not break it :smallannoyed:

To be fair, the effect of seastone on DF-created constructs (as opposed to DF users) hasn't exactly been consistent. It could still be because the birdcage is a result of DF powers that the seastone can stand up against it.

Dasgovernator
2015-05-21, 10:54 AM
To be fair, the effect of seastone on DF-created constructs (as opposed to DF users) hasn't exactly been consistent. It could still be because the birdcage is a result of DF powers that the seastone can stand up against it.

I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason it works.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-21, 01:07 PM

I originally thought it was impossibly rare, but it seems like that might not be true now. I sooo want a marine battleship made of seastone.

lord_khaine
2015-05-21, 02:01 PM
I originally thought it was impossibly rare, but it seems like that might not be true now. I sooo want a marine battleship made of seastone.

The Marine already coat the bottom of their hulls with it, so they can sail though the monster infested calm belt.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-21, 04:52 PM
The Marine already coat the bottom of their hulls with it, so they can sail though the monster infested calm belt.

They have some on the bottom, sure. But think of all the seastone battleships and mechs we are missing out on.

Kato
2015-05-21, 05:23 PM
They have some on the bottom, sure. But think of all the seastone battleships and mechs we are missing out on.

Holy ****, Pacifistas made from seastone! Or at least covered with. I think we might have just broken the game :smalltongue: (Even if it's not indestructible but only resistant to DF powers... they can just hug their enemies into submission)

Sigh
2015-05-21, 05:53 PM
From what I can tell Seastone has approximately the density and toughness of bedrock, which we find that even Zoro had trouble slicing back in the CP-9 saga (back when they were in the underground tunnel, I believe that was made of bedrock). Certainly not indestructible, but much more durable than your average stone.

DiscipleofBob
2015-05-22, 08:01 AM
From what I understand, seastone is too rare for the World Government to make entire battleships or robots out of it. What little they can procure they first use to make manacles and basic anti-DF weapons, but even those are reserved for their most important installations or at least the most likely to be hit by DF users.

The factory being made by seastone was a private expenditure by either Doflamingo or Kaidou. Wasteful, definitely. But not exactly something the government has control over given there's a Yonkou and a Shichibukai/World Noble laying claim over it.

If anything it could be a sign that a major factor into seastone' rarity could come from the fact that most sources of it are privately owned by forces too powerful for the world government to push around.

Maugan Ra
2015-05-22, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I admit I just kind of assumed that the factory is surviving the 'cage because of the seastone's anti-DF properties, rather than just being ridiculously tough.

Also, I can't help but find Zoro's problem-solving methods deeply amusing. When confronted with a slowly advancing wall of inevitable death, his thought process basically seems to be 'What if I hit it with my swords?'

Really, Zoro is just a case study of a man who addresses all of his problems and overcomes all obstacles with swords in some fashion. He even seems to have mastered several forms of Haki in order to give him new and interesting ways of solving problems with his swords.

LordRahl6
2015-05-22, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I admit I just kind of assumed that the factory is surviving the 'cage because of the seastone's anti-DF properties, rather than just being ridiculously tough.

Also, I can't help but find Zoro's problem-solving methods deeply amusing. When confronted with a slowly advancing wall of inevitable death, his thought process basically seems to be 'What if I hit it with my swords?'

Really, Zoro is just a case study of a man who addresses all of his problems and overcomes all obstacles with swords in some fashion. He even seems to have mastered several forms of Haki in order to give him new and interesting ways of solving problems with his swords.

And how is that not inconceivable given what we know about Haki.:smallconfused: It was stated early on after its introduction that Haki could both overpower Devil Fruit users/powers and be enshrouded around preexisting weapons.:smallwink:

Cizak
2015-05-22, 12:32 PM

Isn't this exactly the case? Doflamingo can't cut it cause it nullifies DF powers?

lord_khaine
2015-05-22, 04:59 PM
Isn't this exactly the case? Doflamingo can't cut it cause it nullifies DF powers?

But at the same time then Zorro or Franki cant smash it either, so its not just people with a DF power its safe from.

Lizard Lord
2015-05-23, 02:54 AM
But at the same time then Zorro or Franki cant smash it either, so its not just people with a DF power its safe from.

I think it is incredibly durable in addition to DF powers not working on it. Mind you Zoro isn't able to cut the strings on Birdcage either.

lord_khaine
2015-05-23, 05:29 AM
Yeah.. and that bit shows just what level of power Flamingo is operating on, he does have some very solid arguments for being the strongest opponent Luffy has faced so far.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-05-23, 07:44 AM
Yeah.. and that bit shows just what level of power Flamingo is operating on, he does have some very solid arguments for being the strongest opponent Luffy has faced so far.

outside of the Admirals he outright is, the only person who can even come close to Flamingo is Enel, and I doubt he would actually beat Mingo since Mingo can hit Logias, I only say Enel is a competitor for being absurdly powerful cause his Devil Fruit.

lord_khaine
2015-05-23, 09:32 AM
outside of the Admirals he outright is, the only person who can even come close to Flamingo is Enel, and I doubt he would actually beat Mingo since Mingo can hit Logias, I only say Enel is a competitor for being absurdly powerful cause his Devil Fruit.

Well yeah, Flamingo would also be a lot less dangerous without his DF..

But yeah.. actually i think in general Enel is the more dangerous of those two, his mastery of his Logia seems in line with the Marine admirals, and his specialisation of Haki is most likely the best counter against other Haki users.

Sigh
2015-05-23, 11:23 PM
Another episode out, this one's mostly setup but I have to note how absolutely hilarious it is that Sugar is now deathly afraid of anything resembling Usopp's nose. *insert dirty joke here*

Kato
2015-05-28, 05:23 AM
Not too much going on... everyone working together to stop the cage. Viola going up against Mingo because... she has a death wish? Why won't anyone get Luffy and the princess together already?! Let's hope Mingo doesn't find her first.
And Law plans... something. I think. We'll see.

Of course, the one who should save the country is... Senior Pink.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-05-28, 06:48 AM
Not too much going on... everyone working together to stop the cage. Viola going up against Mingo because... she has a death wish? Why won't anyone get Luffy and the princess together already?! Let's hope Mingo doesn't find her first.

If there is not a spot of Senior Pink walking up behind franky All Menacingly while saying "I served Doffy-Sama for all my life, I gave up everything for him...However your heart has spoken to me..I SHALL AID YOU TO DEFEND THOSE YOU CONSIDER IMPORTANT!" and helping Push back the Bird Cage with his Bare hands, and not caring that his hands are getting sliced by the birdcage...or developing Haki..whichever would be cooler..while EVERYONE not franky stops pushing and says "He is so hard-edged" Including all of the men...Oda fails forever.

moving onto other things

In before Law Sacrifices himself to Heal luffy..Just before Princess Tontata gets there for maximum "Kick in the nads" levels

ONE MORE THING!

PINK SAMA? HE IS SO HARD EDGED! *swoon*

LordRahl6
2015-05-28, 10:26 AM

And they only slowed it down for few seconds?!:smalleek: Though Fujitora and the Nay getting in on the act was pretty good.:smallamused:

LaZodiac
2015-05-28, 11:00 AM
And they only slowed it down for few seconds?!:smalleek: Though Fujitora and the Nay getting in on the act was pretty good.:smallamused:

A few seconds is all they need.

lord_khaine
2015-05-28, 04:45 PM

Im not sure this could work of the simple reason, that the issue is not Luffy being wounded, but his Haki needing to regenerate after being expended.
It might not be something that can be fixed faster.

Sigh
2015-05-28, 07:49 PM
I wonder if Viola's abilities lend her an easy step into learning Observation Haki, as if that's the case it might just buy her enough time to last against Doflamingo until Luffy can recuperate.

Cyber Punk
2015-05-29, 05:11 AM
I got that vibe as well. Viola means to buy some time. If Doffy isn't stopped, there'd be nothing preventing him from deadifying the sleeping Luffy.

In before Law attempts to sacrifice his life to save Luffy, and/or Luffy doesn't wake up in exactly the time they expect him to.

Also, Doffy's stopped smiling. :smallamused:

Kato
2015-05-29, 05:29 AM
Im not sure this could work of the simple reason, that the issue is not Luffy being wounded, but his Haki needing to regenerate after being expended.
It might not be something that can be fixed faster.
Well, it seems to cure all kinds of exhaustion... I guess we still don't know enough about haki to say for sure but I feel it would be weird if there was an extra haki endurance for people. But that's just me.

PINK SAMA? HE IS SO HARD EDGED! *swoon*
*swoon*

I wonder if Viola's abilities lend her an easy step into learning Observation Haki, as if that's the case it might just buy her enough time to last against Doflamingo until Luffy can recuperate.
I don't think the best observation haki helps here... Mingo's far too fast for her to react even if her ability itself grants her omniscience. She has a better chance hoping for him to talk a few seconds about how disappointed he is rather than fight.

Kato
2015-06-04, 03:26 AM
To be frank, I'm not a huge fan of the hero worship, even if it is Lucy. I guess gatz does it more to taunt Mingo and inspire the people than anything else but it's still... it disagrees with the "Luffy is no hero" idea which I actually like.
Viola is getting her **** handed to her and I guess she must be lucky Mingo rather plays with her and Rebecca rather than killing both fast. Just long enough to give Luffy a Big Damn Hero moment.
Sadly, no appearance of Pink. And... what did Law do again?

Also: No OP next week makes Kato something something :smallannoyed:

Razade
2015-06-04, 03:33 AM
To be frank, I'm not a huge fan of the hero worship, even if it is Lucy. I guess gatz does it more to taunt Mingo and inspire the people than anything else but it's still... it disagrees with the "Luffy is no hero" idea which I actually like.
Viola is getting her **** handed to her and I guess she must be lucky Mingo rather plays with her and Rebecca rather than killing both fast. Just long enough to give Luffy a Big Damn Hero moment.

Luffy is a hero though, just because he doesn't feel he is doesn't change the opinions of the people he effects. He's come and saved an entire island. He's going to be a hero to it's people. It'd be weird if they weren't cheering for him.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-04, 07:00 AM
He used shambles to swap the position of Luffy and Violet.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-04, 07:59 AM

It is cheesy sure, but the wrestling fan in me was wanting to cheer Lucy's name as the countdown was going down.

There are few moments, as great as than the biggest face in the company gathering energy from the fan's in the crowd.

chainer1216
2015-06-06, 06:05 PM
Aaaaand we're back, I pmed a mod and they fixed it up, so lets all make sure to say thank you to Douglas before returning to talking about how corny this chapter was. (It kinda reminded me of afro-Luffy)

LaZodiac
2015-06-06, 06:18 PM
Thank you.

This chapter was great because the announcer was basically announcing Luffy like a wrestle announcer...which fits perfectly with how the Colosseum was presented.

Razade
2015-06-06, 06:39 PM
People I know are complaining that One Piece is dragging but frankly the pacing of this arc has been amazing. A little sad we won't get a chapter next week but if Oda isn't jerking us around watching Doffy go down in a One Hit K.O is going to be nothing short of the best moment in One Piece.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-06, 06:51 PM
One Piece dragging? Is it because of the chapter count? They obviously haven't read Hajime No Ippo.

I agree that the pacing has been amazing, as well. Unlike Bleach, for instance.

watching Doffy go down in a One Hit K.O is going to be nothing short of the best moment in One Piece.

Very well said!

Dasgovernator
2015-06-06, 07:01 PM
I get the feeling this arc would be better off being read in a single sitting as opposed to piecemeal over ~2 years.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-06, 07:05 PM
I get the feeling this arc would be better off being read in a single sitting as opposed to piecemeal over ~2 years.

Over 2 years, since Punk Hazard was effectively tied into this arc as well.

Razade
2015-06-06, 07:07 PM
One Piece dragging? Is it because of the chapter count? They obviously haven't read Hajime No Ippo.

I agree that the pacing has been amazing, as well. Unlike Bleach, for instance.

Very well said!

Well, this Saga has taken quite a while to be fair and a few chapters have been a little brief on actual content so I can see where they're coming from but yes compared to other manga like Bleach or Toriko it's nothing.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-06, 07:36 PM
Well, this Saga has taken quite a while to be fair and a few chapters have been a little brief on actual content so I can see where they're coming from but yes compared to other manga like Bleach or Toriko it's nothing.

Razade, what Dasgovernator said. It'll make more sense as a whole as opposed to bits and pieces every one week or so.

Razade
2015-06-06, 08:24 PM
Razade, what Dasgovernator said. It'll make more sense as a whole as opposed to bits and pieces every one week or so.

I agree, it's not my argument :smalltongue:

Sigh
2015-06-06, 10:36 PM
Regarding the final blow, I'm not sure why but a few nights ago I had a dream that this final attack would involve Mingo getting megapunched back like 5 times DBZ style until he flew into the ocean, possibly dragging his Birdcage with him as he collides into it from the sheer force of the impacts.

Tvtyrant
2015-06-07, 10:40 AM
I think the biggest distinguishing feature of this arc is that the population all know who they are, unlike Alubarna. I will personally be glad when this arc ends, it just failed to strike the right chords for me

Dasgovernator
2015-06-07, 03:21 PM
I think the biggest distinguishing feature of this arc is that the population all know who they are, unlike Alubarna. I will personally be glad when this arc ends, it just failed to strike the right chords for me

Well yeah, we're to the part of the world where the World Government can't offer protection to all of the islands. Luffy is clearly taking Dressrosa as his territory after this is over.

AtlanteanTroll
2015-06-08, 11:41 AM
Well, that would make two islands his protectorate... Which seems fair. He's on the path to becoming a Yonkou. First Fishman Island, now Dressorosa. I imagine Wano will be next, or wherever Big Mom is stationed. Maybe she's in Wano, who knows. But then there's Kaidou.

I see some complaints of pacing in this arc, but honestly, for me, it's because Oda rushed some things. I haven't really been made sad by One Piece since the time skip, there hasn't been enough time devoted to building the background of characters properly. Where are the tear jerkers?

LaZodiac
2015-06-08, 11:52 AM
Well, that would make two islands his protectorate... Which seems fair. He's on the path to becoming a Yonkou. First Fishman Island, now Dressorosa. I imagine Wano will be next, or wherever Big Mom is stationed. Maybe she's in Wano, who knows. But then there's Kaidou.

I see some complaints of pacing in this arc, but honestly, for me, it's because Oda rushed some things. I haven't really been made sad by One Piece since the time skip, there hasn't been enough time devoted to building the background of characters properly. Where are the tear jerkers?

Did you skip Law's flashback entirely or something? Maybe the characters just aren't resonating with you or something.

lord_khaine
2015-06-08, 04:05 PM

I kinda doubt Wano will become his protectorate, it has been described as one of the very few islands who could remain independent, due to the extreme strenght of their Samurai.

Gray Mage
2015-06-08, 04:33 PM
Did you skip Law's flashback entirely or something? Maybe the characters just aren't resonating with you or something.

Also, Seņor Pink's. So hard boiled. *Swoons*

Tvtyrant
2015-06-08, 07:18 PM
I actually couldn't get into either of those backgrounds. Not like the crew, who are all extremely tragic.

Gray Mage
2015-06-08, 08:46 PM
I actually couldn't get into either of those backgrounds. Not like the crew, who are all extremely tragic.

I'd say Law's more tragic than half the crew. :smallconfused:

Tvtyrant
2015-06-08, 08:55 PM
I'd say Law's more tragic than half the crew. :smallconfused:

Objectively sure. I just never got into his back story.

ben-zayb
2015-06-09, 12:54 AM
I actually like plenty of the backstories in this arc. Not necessarily tearjerkers (certainly not Doffy's), but I liked how the stories of Kyros, Law, Seņor Pink, and even Doffy were written.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-09, 07:36 AM
Senor Pink gets double points for being completely unexpected, like go back to when the arc is first starting and say "The guy in a baby bonnet and diapers will have the best backstory of Mingo's crew" and you will get called crazy.

Kato
2015-06-09, 11:37 AM
Senor Pink gets double points for being completely unexpected, like go back to when the arc is first starting and say "The guy in a baby bonnet and diapers will have the best backstory of Mingo's crew" and you will get called crazy.

If you tell half the stuff that happens in OP to anyone, you will be called crazy :smalltongue:

But... yeah, I'm usually rarely an emotional person, but just in the context of a single story told in one chapter, intercut with fight scenes, Pink's backstory must be among the best chapters of any manga I have ever read. I can't even explain why, but it really worked for me.

(Also, Tvtyrant, a backstory doesn't need to be extremely tragic to be good. With that logic you get things like Elfenlied :smallyuk:)

LaZodiac
2015-06-09, 12:15 PM
If you tell half the stuff that happens in OP to anyone, you will be called crazy :smalltongue:

But... yeah, I'm usually rarely an emotional person, but just in the context of a single story told in one chapter, intercut with fight scenes, Pink's backstory must be among the best chapters of any manga I have ever read. I can't even explain why, but it really worked for me.

(Also, Tvtyrant, a backstory doesn't need to be extremely tragic to be good. With that logic you get things like Elfenlied :smallyuk:)

Yeah, Senor Pink's is just...really solid. I even liked Baby 5's backstory, ESPECIALLY when I realized just why she's called Baby 5, considering the context of her back story. Holy crap.

Yeah the last thing we need is more Elfenlied.

Sigh
2015-06-13, 11:07 PM
We interrupt this drought of discussion to bring you breaking news! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtMLRQtCblw) A new episode of the anime has been released, showing us the beginning of Usopp's use of Observation Haki, and taking down Sugar with his face for the second time! It's interesting that Haki use, when untrained, seems to manifest during times of great stress/when an extraordinary feat needs to take place. It really makes you wonder what happened to get Zoro and Sanji to first manifest their Armament Haki (unless you count things like Sanji's fire or Zoro's demon heads as Haki use, which is entirely possible at this point!).

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-14, 01:01 AM

I usually describe One Piece by telling people about Ivankov, now a days I have switched to "it is about Pirates, and a guy who has rubber powers, and there is a guy in a baby bonnet..who is the most awesome person in existence, trust me it is that sort of series"

lord_khaine
2015-06-14, 06:45 AM
We interrupt this drought of discussion to bring you breaking news! A new episode of the anime has been released, showing us the beginning of Usopp's use of Observation Haki, and taking down Sugar with his face for the second time! It's interesting that Haki use, when untrained, seems to manifest during times of great stress/when an extraordinary feat needs to take place. It really makes you wonder what happened to get Zoro and Sanji to first manifest their Armament Haki (unless you count things like Sanji's fire or Zoro's demon heads as Haki use, which is entirely possible at this point!).

Zorro's first use of Haki were likely much earlier, during his fight with Mr 1, where he got a brief glimpse of complete awareness and used it to slice the previously invulnerable metal body.
And besides the process of manifesting Haki most likely being much different depending on if you do it out of desperation or by the urgings of a trainer, then i certainly count those things are Haki manifestations.
We have directly seen another Haki user ignite her body in a simular way to Sanji.

I usually describe One Piece by telling people about Ivankov, now a days I have switched to "it is about Pirates, and a guy who has rubber powers, and there is a guy in a baby bonnet..who is the most awesome person in existence, trust me it is that sort of series"

I cannot disagree strongly enough with this part myself though, imo he doesnt even clear his way into the top 10 list of awesome people.

LaZodiac
2015-06-14, 08:22 AM
I cannot disagree strongly enough with this part myself though, imo he doesnt even clear his way into the top 10 list of awesome people.

To be fair considering some of the other characters in this arc, let alone this entire series, that's NOT surprising. As good as Senor Pink is (and he's great, he's one of the best examples of how One Piece does silliness in a serious way) there are better characters.

Kato
2015-06-14, 12:24 PM
Pink's awesomeness is mostly hampered by his lack of screen time. He's a pretty minor villain in this arc who only gained interest because of his... unique attire. But with basically one chapter of backstory he became immensely popular because, well, it was a really cool backstory.
That's like if minor fishmen villain #5 in the last arc suddenly was loved by anyone. Overall, I guess no, he's not that great, but that is because OP is full of great characters. But by "awesome per page", he's easily top 5, if not topping that list.

lord_khaine
2015-06-14, 04:30 PM
Personally for me, being a villian removes a lot of the sympathy i would otherwise feel for Pink, and that reduces the overall awesome rating.

So even when its awesome per page he dont break into the top 10 for me, Crocoddile easily tops him when it comes to awesome villains.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-14, 07:22 PM
Personally for me, being a villian removes a lot of the sympathy i would otherwise feel for Pink, and that reduces the overall awesome rating.

So even when its awesome per page he dont break into the top 10 for me, Crocoddile easily tops him when it comes to awesome villains.

Yes being a bad guy reduces Sympathy, however why I point him out as being an awesome character is because as a minion to a much bigger bad you generally have been lead to not expect him to really have a backstory at all, which this Arc was really good about, we backstories for characters who outside of bleach we never would have gotten backstories for, I pretty well figured mingo's minions wouldn't get much outside of their quarks, however baby 5 and Pink both got backstories that made those quarks that we laughed at for years at this point make 100% sense, and that is why he is easily the best character of the Arc, and probably my favorite non-strawhat character.

Kato
2015-06-18, 02:09 AM
It's here.

KING KONG GUN!!! Oh, Oda... and so the sunglasses shatter. And what was left of the city. Geez, Luffy, collatoral much? Might as well have killed what was left of the population :smalltongue: But this should be the definitive end of Mingo, heck, he might even be dead from that. We'll see next week, maybe.

LaZodiac
2015-06-18, 02:50 AM
The glasses are broke, Doffy's done. End of story.

That was PRETTY great.

ben-zayb
2015-06-18, 05:11 AM
Whoa, the glass shattered! If tgat isn't enough symbolism for mingo's utter defeat, then I dunno what is.

That was a satisfying pay-off...cool new move, and it went past all defense and straight into mingo's face! Wow!

lord_khaine
2015-06-18, 06:53 AM
Gahh.. i will meanwhile be crying in the corner along with the laws of physics over this chapter..
I always hated Gear 3 for being stupidly illogical, even for OP, and rejoiced when there came a new mode that hopefully put that idea away.
But of course Oda got to sweep the legs of someone being hopeful, and once more give us Luffy smacking people around with a ballon hand... :smallfrown:

Sigh
2015-06-18, 12:16 PM
Gear 4 actually makes more sense when you think about it though, the power doesn't come from just the fact that they're bigger hands like Gear 3, it's essentially a blast made from compression of the air being released all at once in a single punch.

LordRahl6
2015-06-18, 12:40 PM
It's here.

KING KONG GUN!!! Oh, Oda... and so the sunglasses shatter. And what was left of the city. Geez, Luffy, collatoral much? Might as well have killed what was left of the population :smalltongue: But this should be the definitive end of Mingo, heck, he might even be dead from that. We'll see next week, maybe.

Well, I can't imagine how much more powerful Luffy could become after an attack named like that! Godzilla bite?:smallbiggrin:

Dasgovernator
2015-06-19, 01:39 PM
One Piece is officially the best-selling comic book in history, per Guinness book of world records. He has beaten out Akira Toriyama for the spot.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is-buzzing/-one-piece--sails-into-guinness-world-records-065000793.html

Cyber Punk
2015-06-19, 09:11 PM
One Piece is officially the best-selling comic book in history, per Guinness book of world records. He has beaten out Akira Toriyama for the spot.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is-buzzing/-one-piece--sails-into-guinness-world-records-065000793.html

I knew it was only a matter of time! Go One Piece!

:biggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2015-06-22, 10:50 PM

Law's background got close, but it still didn't hit all the right buttons. Not quite. I wonder if you compared the length of backgrounds post-Time Skip to pre-Time Skip if they're any shorter. I bet they are. Maybe I take time to get attached to a character, but it just hasn't been as emotional.

I think Oda's rushing things so he finishes before getting deathly ill, but it's just causing him to work harder. He needs to take some time off.

LaZodiac
2015-06-25, 02:00 AM
New chapter!

This is it. The big chapter where everyone cries because they did it. They finally beat that ****in' flamingo *******. This chapter is great, and I feel like if you where to start all the way over from the start of Dressrosa and read the whole arc, it'd flow super well and feel amazing.

Cyber Punk
2015-06-25, 03:20 AM
This is it...

Guys, I think there's something in my eye. -sniff-

Kato
2015-06-25, 03:32 AM
Oh you pansys, stop with the crying...
:smallcool: What? It's sunny in Germany today. Shut up!

Yeah, not much to say... the battle is over and the chapter is about nothing else. I guess if I wanted to be harsh I'd say the cage symbolism is hitting us a bit heavy on the head, but then OP isn't subtle when it comes to those things :smalltongue: Free! Destroyed but free! Also, Kiros is too manly to allow others to see him cry... oh come on, old man.

btw, Sanji's taste in bread is... interesting :smallbiggrin:

Suichimo
2015-06-25, 04:15 AM
inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Seriously, when has a victory for the Strawhats been so straightforward recently? Heck, not even recently, they haven't really had a straight forward victory since Enies Lobby/Water 7. Thriller Bark ended with Kuma showing up and wrecking everybody. War of the Best ended with Ace dead and Luffy BSODing. Fishman Island ended with Big Mom showing up. Punk Hazard was the lead in to where we are now. I can't imagine this going so easily, especially since it'd mean Doflamingo got taken out in less than ten hits.

I'm still not sure what/who Oda could have lined up for villains after this. All that is really left is Mihawk in the Shichibukai, Akainu and the Marines, and the Yonkou. Big Mom and Kaido are the most obvious, but I highly doubt the Strawhats, even with Law, are capable of taking on any of the Yonkou yet. The closest in power to them would be Mihawk, but what reason would he have to fight them? I imagine the Marines are a bit busy with whatever Dragon is doing, if Sabo is moving around like he is. I don't think Shanks will have a serious fight with the Strawhats and it is to early for Luffy and Blackbeard to go at it, in my opinion.

Maybe a Buggy/Lucci pair up?

Also, is the fight between Sabo and Burgess going to end off screen?

Razade
2015-06-25, 05:56 AM
inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Seriously, when has a victory for the Strawhats been so straightforward recently? Heck, not even recently, they haven't really had a straight forward victory since Enies Lobby/Water 7. Thriller Bark ended with Kuma showing up and wrecking everybody. War of the Best ended with Ace dead and Luffy BSODing. Fishman Island ended with Big Mom showing up. Punk Hazard was the lead in to where we are now. I can't imagine this going so easily, especially since it'd mean Doflamingo got taken out in less than ten hits.

I'm still not sure what/who Oda could have lined up for villains after this. All that is really left is Mihawk in the Shichibukai, Akainu and the Marines, and the Yonkou. Big Mom and Kaido are the most obvious, but I highly doubt the Strawhats, even with Law, are capable of taking on any of the Yonkou yet. The closest in power to them would be Mihawk, but what reason would he have to fight them? I imagine the Marines are a bit busy with whatever Dragon is doing, if Sabo is moving around like he is. I don't think Shanks will have a serious fight with the Strawhats and it is to early for Luffy and Blackbeard to go at it, in my opinion.

Doffy didn't get taken down in ten hits. He fought Law before this and had his vital organs slashed and even had a few scuffles before they landed on the top level of Dressrosa. It's been a constant fight for a long while now. We also don't know how much the Bird Cage took out of him to keep up and maintain.

As for enemies you forget that there are other Super Novas out there doing stuff and several of them have vowed to take out the Strawhats if they meet up in the New World. You also forget that there's a new Shichibukai who (according to Oda) was strong enough to cut off Z's arm. Also there's Moria who is an enemy of Luffy and he's out there doing stuff as far as we know. There are also other Admirals and who knows what's going on in Wano. Then of course the Yonko and we know Big Mom is going after the other Straw Hats currently. There are also other pirate groups under the Yonko since we know they are comparable to Whitebeard and his army so they've got to be out there somewhere.There's also CP0 on the table and who knows what they're doing. So...plenty of big names still out there to be causing problems.

lord_khaine
2015-06-25, 07:27 AM
Really boring chapter today though.. almost might not have been an update at all.

LordRahl6
2015-06-25, 08:11 AM
You guys are right that there isn't development in the story in this chapter, but there's a WHOLE LOT going on behind the scenes.:smallwink:

Cyber Punk
2015-06-25, 08:52 AM
Really boring chapter today though.. almost might not have been an update at all.

You guys are right that there isn't development in the story in this chapter, but there's a WHOLE LOT going on behind the scenes.:smallwink:

There's your reply, Khaine. I daresay if it moved faster, the impact would have been lost.

ben-zayb
2015-06-25, 09:41 AM
Definitely agree that this chapter had a lot going on in the background. I'd even dare say that this chapter still felt more packed with content than Naruto or Bleach (not exactly a good standard, but there you go).

This chapter does what it seems intended to do, which IMO is for soaking in that grand pay-off of finally and decisively defeating the main villain of this (rather long) arc.

LaZodiac
2015-06-25, 10:08 AM
inb4 Doflamingo gets up

Reminder that Big Mam's ship is literally still outside Dressrosa.

Suichimo
2015-06-25, 11:35 AM
Doffy didn't get taken down in ten hits. He fought Law before this and had his vital organs slashed and even had a few scuffles before they landed on the top level of Dressrosa. It's been a constant fight for a long while now. We also don't know how much the Bird Cage took out of him to keep up and maintain.

As for enemies you forget that there are other Super Novas out there doing stuff and several of them have vowed to take out the Strawhats if they meet up in the New World. You also forget that there's a new Shichibukai who (according to Oda) was strong enough to cut off Z's arm. Also there's Moria who is an enemy of Luffy and he's out there doing stuff as far as we know. There are also other Admirals and who knows what's going on in Wano. Then of course the Yonko and we know Big Mom is going after the other Straw Hats currently. There are also other pirate groups under the Yonko since we know they are comparable to Whitebeard and his army so they've got to be out there somewhere.There's also CP0 on the table and who knows what they're doing. So...plenty of big names still out there to be causing problems.

It may not have been under ten, but it certainly wasn't much. The only effective hit Law got off was the Gamma Knife. All the fights in the New World have just been boring for me. Even this one, despite Luffy being in the condition he is in, doesn't feel like it was an actual challenge since most of Luffy's damage is self-inflicted. So far we've had Hody, who only fought Luffy by virtue of being the leader of his group, Ceasar, who basically got one shot when he couldn't sneak attack Luffy, and now Doflamingo.

Jewelry Bonney is being held by the Marines, last we knew. X Drake is likely a member of Kaido's forces. We have no idea what happened to Capone. Urouge is doing... something. Apoo, Hawkins, and Kid have allied together for an unknown reason, but I doubt it has to do with Luffy and none of them outside of Kid, which is mostly from their time at Saobody, seemed to harbor any ill will towards Luffy. Law is obviously allied with Luffy and has helped out in the past, so I doubt he'll be turning on him for anything short of One Piece.

The only new Shichibukai since the time skip is Buggy. I had to look up what you were talking about, as I haven't seen any of the One Piece movies, but I did find out that Oda said Film Z isn't canonical. Moria is nothing, he's already been beaten by Luffy, he was beaten by Jinbei, and then he was beaten by Doflamingo. Lucci is far more dangerous.

Wano is a big question mark, yeah.

The only other Yonkou out there, beyond Big Mom and Kaido who Luffy/Law are basically already fighting, are Shanks and Blackbeard. As I said, I doubt any fighting with Shanks will be serious and it is way too early to fight Blackbeard, story wise.

Reminder that Big Mam's ship is literally still outside Dressrosa.

That's why I said Big Mom and Kaido were the most obvious. Big Mom is already attacking them and taking down/striking at Kaido is literally the entire reason Law brought them to Dressrosa, taking down Doflamingo is just an added bonus.

Dasgovernator
2015-06-25, 01:14 PM
That's why I said Big Mom and Kaido were the most obvious. Big Mom is already attacking them and taking down/striking at Kaido is literally the entire reason Law brought them to Dressrosa, taking down Doflamingo is just an added bonus.

Really? I'm pretty sure Law just straight up lied to Luffy about going after Kaido in order to get him to help take down Doflamingo. Law even told Doflamingo as much when they were fighting on the bridge.

Granted, Kaido is going to be coming after them given what they've just done here, but I doubt sailing out to meet him is their next move. I'm betting they head over to Wano next (though given the Samurai's apparently familiarity with Kaido, that might be the start of his arc anyway)

Sigh
2015-06-25, 01:45 PM
Guys don't forget that there are island-tier dudes all over the place in the New World as well, our favorite blind swordsman was just going around minding his own business before he got recruited into the Marines, and he was strong enough for them to shoot him straight up to Admiral. There's no shortage of baddies for the Straw Hats to take down outside of the ones we already know about, Oda just has to introduce them first.

lord_khaine
2015-06-25, 05:16 PM
There's your reply, Khaine. I daresay if it moved faster, the impact would have been lost.

Nope.. read though it once more, oppion is still the same.

It may not have been under ten, but it certainly wasn't much. The only effective hit Law got off was the Gamma Knife. All the fights in the New World have just been boring for me. Even this one, despite Luffy being in the condition he is in, doesn't feel like it was an actual challenge since most of Luffy's damage is self-inflicted. So far we've had Hody, who only fought Luffy by virtue of being the leader of his group, Ceasar, who basically got one shot when he couldn't sneak attack Luffy, and now Doflamingo.

Not an actual challenge? To start with Flamingo were slicing a town into pieces while fighting Luffy, he had just taken what should have been a mortal hit from Law, and he would have killed Luffy straight up had several people not given their life to slow down Flamingo while he were recovering his Haki.
And at the end Flamingo allowed his pride to rule his decisions, fighting Luffy head on instead of waiting for him to once more grow tired.

I will give you Hody though, he was a speed bumb to show how far Luffy had gone.

Guys don't forget that there are island-tier dudes all over the place in the New World as well, our favorite blind swordsman was just going around minding his own business before he got recruited into the Marines, and he was strong enough for them to shoot him straight up to Admiral. There's no shortage of baddies for the Straw Hats to take down outside of the ones we already know about, Oda just has to introduce them first.

And we saw the individual power of Whitebeards crew, where the people under WB themselves were strong enough to go face to face with Admirals, i think its pretty certain both Big Mom and Kaido will have people under them thats going to be a challenge for Luffy on their own.

Suichimo
2015-06-25, 07:20 PM
Not an actual challenge? To start with Flamingo were slicing a town into pieces while fighting Luffy, he had just taken what should have been a mortal hit from Law, and he would have killed Luffy straight up had several people not given their life to slow down Flamingo while he were recovering his Haki.
And at the end Flamingo allowed his pride to rule his decisions, fighting Luffy head on instead of waiting for him to once more grow tired.

I will give you Hody though, he was a speed bumb to show how far Luffy had gone.

I stand by it. The damage Doflamingo has been inflicting upon Dressrosa is irrelevant, imo, anyone can do a lot of collateral damage. As far as I can remember, almost all of Luffy's damage is self inflicted, from Gear Fourth. Doflamingo had no choice but to fight Luffy head on, Luffy has a major speed advantage.

And we saw the individual power of Whitebeards crew, where the people under WB themselves were strong enough to go face to face with Admirals, i think its pretty certain both Big Mom and Kaido will have people under them thats going to be a challenge for Luffy on their own.

When did any of them fight the Admirals? I remember them fighting several Vice Admirals, but there were only three Admirals at the time(Kizaru, Akainu, and Aokiji). I guess if you count Ace fighting Aokiji.

Sigh
2015-06-25, 09:59 PM
Mr Phoenix himself went up against at least one of the Admirals solo if I recall, and at least one of the other ones went head to head with Aokiji, though I can't for the life of me remember which. Plus we can't forget that rose guy that didn't immediately get wasted by Mihawk, a rather unheard of feat from what we'd seen on-screen before then. Personally I'd rate most of Whitebeard's sub-captains at being able to take down an admiral if 2-3 of them worked together, with the strongest being able to fight an admiral to a standstill.

ben-zayb
2015-06-26, 03:18 AM
Mr Phoenix himself went up against at least one of the Admirals solo if I recall, and at least one of the other ones went head to head with Aokiji, though I can't for the life of me remember which. Plus we can't forget that rose guy that didn't immediately get wasted by Mihawk, a rather unheard of feat from what we'd seen on-screen before then. Personally I'd rate most of Whitebeard's sub-captains at being able to take down an admiral if 2-3 of them worked together, with the strongest being able to fight an admiral to a standstill.

Jozu tanked Crocodile and, more impressively, the strongest slash from the strongest swordsman, and he also stood his ground against Aokiji, even drew first blood, until distracted. Vista also held his ground against the aforementioned swordsman, although the Marco + Vista tag team didn't dent Akainu. Then again, this is the admiral who flesh sculptured Whitebeard, Ace, and Aokiji, and went on to become Fleet Admiral. Likewise, Kizaru and the aforementioned powerful Akainu, in separate circumstances, can't also do jack against an undistracted, uncuffed Marco. Marco's only "legit" hit was from Garp.

And it may not mean much, but speaking of Yonkou subordinates, we have 1. Beckmann, who apparently managed to stop Kizaru cold by issuing a threat, and 2. Shiryu, who was relatively unharmed after getting hit by Sengoku's attack and was claimed to be around Magellan's level.

lord_khaine
2015-06-26, 04:14 AM
I stand by it. The damage Doflamingo has been inflicting upon Dressrosa is irrelevant, imo, anyone can do a lot of collateral damage. As far as I can remember, almost all of Luffy's damage is self inflicted, from Gear Fourth. Doflamingo had no choice but to fight Luffy head on, Luffy has a major speed advantage.

But not everyone can fight off a rival while at the same time casually crushing a city.
And while Flamingo did not inflict any noteworthy damage upon Luffy before then, mainly smacking him around a bit and toying with him, then neither did Luffy inflict any damage on Flamingo before going into Gear fouth.

Anyway, since Flamingo did not reveal the effect of his awakend DF before having seen Luffy's Poundman, and since Luffy would directly have been killed by Flamingo if he had not been saved by the gladiators, then i cant see how people cant think he were a challenge for Luffy, we directly saw he were stronger, and would have won in a fair fight.

Kato
2015-06-26, 05:53 AM
Anyway, since Flamingo did not reveal the effect of his awakend DF before having seen Luffy's Poundman, and since Luffy would directly have been killed by Flamingo if he had not been saved by the gladiators, then i cant see how people cant think he were a challenge for Luffy, we directly saw he were stronger, and would have won in a fair fight.

Well, Luffy wasn't at his peak at the beginning of the fight, even if he mostly had to deal with Bellamy just before. But then many of the previous fights in OP were also quite close, maybe excluding the Fishman Island arc and some of the earliest. It's boring if one character is so far ahead of the other there's no excitement and Luffy winning not because of power of friendship (literally) but power of friends is part of what makes OP a better series.

ben-zayb
2015-06-26, 05:59 AM
Anybody got a guess how much fights Zorro had where he isn't handicapped?

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-26, 08:09 AM
Well, Luffy wasn't at his peak at the beginning of the fight, even if he mostly had to deal with Bellamy just before. But then many of the previous fights in OP were also quite close, maybe excluding the Fishman Island arc and some of the earliest. It's boring if one character is so far ahead of the other there's no excitement and Luffy winning not because of power of friendship (literally) but power of friends is part of what makes OP a better series.

To be fair, Mingo took a Magical Room Knife thingy to the heart and was using his string powers to keep himself together too, Neither was really at full power when things started to get real.

lord_khaine
2015-06-26, 09:19 AM
Luffy winning not because of power of friendship (literally) but power of friends is part of what makes OP a better series.

I agree, Op is one of the very, very few series that has gotten the power of friendship right.

LaZodiac
2015-06-28, 07:16 PM
Oda drew the cast of Mad Max: Fury Road

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CInvWGFUkAAY4Aq.jpg

ryuplaneswalker
2015-06-28, 10:03 PM
Oda drew the cast of Mad Max: Fury Road

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CInvWGFUkAAY4Aq.jpg

All I can say is dude with the skull Necklace is screaming

"SUUUPPAAAA SKULLLLLLL"

Kato
2015-06-29, 07:46 AM
Oh man, Oda... I guess if it gets his approval like that I'll have to see about watching that thing after all.

LaZodiac
2015-06-29, 10:59 AM
Oh man, Oda... I guess if it gets his approval like that I'll have to see about watching that thing after all.

You'll like it a lot, I promise.

Sigh
2015-06-29, 03:18 PM
New episode, and for us Anime cats we finally get the reveal that Doffy used to be one of the Celestial Dragons right after he beats the snot out of Luffy and Law.

Swaoeaeieu
2015-07-02, 02:12 AM
BREAKING NEWS: the navy takes responsability for ones and apologizes. also a country got destroyed but more on that later.

even in one piece fox news does it's thing

Kato
2015-07-02, 04:05 AM
So... did Sabo just murder a ****? :smallconfused: I mean, totally deserving consider he went out of his way to get him angry, but... wow.

Also, the country is okay with being ruled by a guy who will leave them to be conquered by the next evil conqueror as long as they can stay pacifists :smalltongue: Oh, Oda... I know you love idealism but... Oh, well.

Otherwise not much happening, except as Sigh said, Marines taking responsibility for screwing things up. Well, one admiral, and somehow all his men follow. I guess Marine units are sorted by their respective morality?

Lizard Lord
2015-07-02, 06:13 AM
So... did Sabo just murder a ****? :smallconfused: I mean, totally deserving consider he went out of his way to get him angry, but... wow.

Also, the country is okay with being ruled by a guy who will leave them to be conquered by the next evil conqueror as long as they can stay pacifists :smalltongue: Oh, Oda... I know you love idealism but... Oh, well.

Otherwise not much happening, except as Sigh said, Marines taking responsibility for screwing things up. Well, one admiral, and somehow all his men follow. I guess Marine units are sorted by their respective morality?

Meh. Mooks in One Piece have always copied the beliefs of their leader. With the exception of Captain Morgan, this includes marine mooks.

LordRahl6
2015-07-02, 10:22 AM
BREAKING NEWS: the navy takes responsability for ones and apologizes. also a country got destroyed but more on that later.

even in one piece fox news does it's thing

How novel an idea given that this is the Grand Line, and the one apologizing is a Vice Admiral.:smallcool:

LaZodiac
2015-07-02, 10:25 AM

Naw, Jesus is still alive.

Anyway, something I'd like to note. Fujitora bent a knee to the king in apology, on behalf of the world nobles and the world government. That's...HEAVILY weakened their position, and is going to make the Grand Rivieria quite interesting.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-02, 11:10 AM
Naw, Jesus is still alive.

Anyway, something I'd like to note. Fujitora bent a knee to the king in apology, on behalf of the world nobles and the world government. That's...HEAVILY weakened their position, and is going to make the Grand Rivieria quite interesting.

Yeah . . . I'm honestly wondering if this is the end of his time as an Admiral. Granted its the right thing to do (and probably better off from the WG in the long run), but I'm not sure the WG is going to appreciate someone pointing out on mass media that they're totally at fault here.

Kato
2015-07-02, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I don't see the Marine's or WG supporting Fujitora on that. The most likely outcome would be him getting kicked out for this, but that's unlikely to happen in OP. So... I guess they'll just deny it ever happened? Or buster call the island to make sure hardly anyone knowing about it stays alive... ahem.

Sigh
2015-07-02, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I don't see the Marine's or WG supporting Fujitora on that. The most likely outcome would be him getting kicked out for this, but that's unlikely to happen in OP. So... I guess they'll just deny it ever happened? Or buster call the island to make sure hardly anyone knowing about it stays alive... ahem.

Given that it's being broadcast to a whole host of people abroad I highly doubt a Buster Call would do much outside of piss people off. The way I see it right now is that with how many of them have been defeated by the Straw Hats in the past 2 years the Warlords are going to look like less and less of a threat to the rest of the world, which kind of defeats half the purpose of having them there in the first place! If this doesn't end with the WG deciding to reconsider their stance on having the Warlords on their payroll I'd be surprised.

Suichimo
2015-07-02, 06:16 PM
Given that it's being broadcast to a whole host of people abroad I highly doubt a Buster Call would do much outside of piss people off. The way I see it right now is that with how many of them have been defeated by the Straw Hats in the past 2 years the Warlords are going to look like less and less of a threat to the rest of the world, which kind of defeats half the purpose of having them there in the first place! If this doesn't end with the WG deciding to reconsider their stance on having the Warlords on their payroll I'd be surprised.

Which are, just to list off old and current Warlords:

Beaten:
Buggy
Crocodile
Moriah
Kuma(if the Pacifista count)
Doflamingo

Allied with(whether publicly known or not and whether actually allied with or just perceived that way):
Buggy
Crocodile
Hancock
Kuma
Jinbei
Law
Mihawk(kind of)

Yeah, not sure how the WG can continue the Shichibukai.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-08, 11:49 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

So let's see--we have confirmation that the Gorosei is below CP0, Capone is in an alliance (possibly with Law & Luffy now), Urouge and Enel possibly teaming up, and that the Kidd Alliance is aiming for Shank's head! Not to mention Issho getting ****-talked by Sakazui, and a nice recap with Smoker. Talk about a packed chapter.

Razade
2015-07-09, 04:14 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

So let's see--we have confirmation that the Gorosei is below CP0, Capone is in an alliance (possibly with Law & Luffy now), Urouge and Enel possibly teaming up, and that the Kidd Alliance is aiming for Shank's head! Not to mention Issho getting ****-talked by Sakazui, and a nice recap with Smoker. Talk about a packed chapter.

I don't know what translation you were reading but the CP0 seem on equal footing with different roles. No clue where you got the idea that Capone was in an Alliance with Luffy and Law, if anything he was with Big Mom. He only called them his "friends" because they're all Super Novas. Enel was no where to be seen or even hinted at either.

Kato
2015-07-09, 04:31 AM
Hm... okay, Mangapanda's translation was at some points really weird, I think but I have to agree with Razade, I didn't really get much of the same out of it.

There WAS a lot going on, like Kidd going after Shanks (poor kids... that's gonna be brutal), another glimpse of Kaidou, somewhat, and Fujitora now aiming for Law and Luffy's heads? Well... that could be fun. We'll see. Though, I guess the people will protect them and they get away... somehow.

btw, who's the guy in the sky again?

Razade
2015-07-09, 05:06 AM
Hm... okay, Mangapanda's translation was at some points really weird, I think but I have to agree with Razade, I didn't really get much of the same out of it.

There WAS a lot going on, like Kidd going after Shanks (poor kids... that's gonna be brutal), another glimpse of Kaidou, somewhat, and Fujitora now aiming for Law and Luffy's heads? Well... that could be fun. We'll see. Though, I guess the people will protect them and they get away... somehow.

Another of the Super Novas.

Lizard Lord
2015-07-09, 05:29 AM

As well as a Super Nova, like Kato said, he is a sky person tribesmen that has a devil fruit that, as far as I can tell, just makes him super strong. I, personally, dislike this because it doesn't seem any different than the Charles Atlas superpowers of non-devil fruit users like Sanji and Zoro but with the downside of not being able to swim. The lameness of his fruit is highlighted by how cool and/interesting the devil fruits of the other Super Novas are.

ben-zayb
2015-07-09, 08:57 AM
Mangastream's translation makes more sense this week. Apoo's alliance is gunning for Shanks? Heh, call me crazy, but I think they may actually pull off quite a stunt, at least, instead of being beaten decisively. And while apparently, Kuzan is allied with Blackbeard, I really doubt either party actually thinks this is something more than an alliance of convenience.

I can see Fujitora's answer two ways: first is that he wants to personally hunt Law and Luffy, or that he prefers no unnecessary interference/aid from other marine sectors. It'd be interesting if it turns out to be the latter.

LordRahl6
2015-07-09, 12:35 PM
By Damn, there is a WHOLE LOT going on here. Even if we consider Urouge merely taking a break in the Sky Islands and Capone and the rest referring to Luffy and Law as a member of the "Worst Generation," there's plenty of reprecussions and Gambit Pileups building along the sidelines. It'll be interesting where the next couple of chapters take the story, and when we'll return to the Thousand Sunny making its way to Zou being chased by Big Mamas ship.:smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Sigh
2015-07-09, 04:11 PM
In my translation it looks like Bonney wants to join their alliance, is it the same way with the rest of yours? Because I for one wouldn't mind that kind of teamup...

Kato
2015-07-09, 04:39 PM
Mangastream's translation makes more sense this week. Apoo's alliance is gunning for Shanks? Heh, call me crazy, but I think they may actually pull off quite a stunt, at least, instead of being beaten decisively. And while apparently, Kuzan is allied with Blackbeard, I really doubt either party actually thinks this is something more than an alliance of convenience. attempt to infiltrate them.

Fixed that for you :smalltongue:

btw. isn't the cover page just the cutest? How can I get Oda to draw my request? :smallsigh:

Razade
2015-07-09, 05:59 PM
In my translation it looks like Bonney wants to join their alliance, is it the same way with the rest of yours? Because I for one wouldn't mind that kind of teamup...

No, no translation I've seen makes it seem like that. One says "I'm glad to be their contemporary" which just means "Glad to be one of their equals" and the other was "Glad to be of their generation" which....is self explanatory.

Suichimo
2015-07-09, 06:56 PM

How did Bonney even get out of prison? Didn't she get sent to Impel Down? Certainly another breakout from there would be something we know about.

Iruka
2015-07-10, 06:55 AM
No, no translation I've seen makes it seem like that. One says "I'm glad to be their contemporary" which just means "Glad to be one of their equals" [...]

Doesn't that mean more like "I'm glad to live at the same time as they do"?

Sigh
2015-07-11, 10:24 PM
New anime episode out now, this week we got Law's backstory with White Town and boy howdy they did not hold back from displaying the carnage. Granted there's no guts flying around, this is still One Piece, but we see wave after wave of death and destruction and just all kinds of things that would make a normal person go mad, ending off with Law stabbing Corazon with a knife in present day.

LaZodiac
2015-07-12, 01:26 AM
New anime episode out now, this week we got Law's backstory with White Town and boy howdy they did not hold back from displaying the carnage. Granted there's no guts flying around, this is still One Piece, but we see wave after wave of death and destruction and just all kinds of things that would make a normal person go mad, ending off with Law stabbing Corazon with a knife in present day.

I really hope they showed the field of death orphans.

Sigh
2015-07-12, 09:25 PM
I really hope they showed the field of death orphans.

It was smoky for a solid 20 seconds but they cleared it up to show them before moving on to the mansion burning, yes.

Sigh
2015-07-12, 10:38 PM
Also putting this in a separate post because it deserves it but for those of you unaware there are guys on Youtube that make swords and other weapons from popular media, and recently they made Mihawk's sword. Figured I'd share it for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7OEuhOn4-4

Dasgovernator
2015-07-15, 11:23 AM
Wasn't expecting to see Doflamingo on the cover page. I do like the Wizard of Oz thing he has though.
Sabo with Amnesia? I guess it was sort of expected. Its a little hard to believe that Ace's death was the first time a prominent member of the revolutionaries heard about him (or Luffy for that matter).
"Also, you keep calling me Luffy but you're mistaken! Look closely at this beard! I'm Lucy!" is one of my favorite lines of the arc now.
I wonder what's up with the Crows? I'm betting its some kind of DF, but hell if I know. It might be Dragon's doing somehow.
Finally . . . are Sanji & Co safe? The rest of the crew seems to have completely forgotten about them, or at least prioritize listening to Sabo's back story more than doing something about them. The introduction of the Crows seems to suggest that they do have a way of going after them (especially Zoro, who is still presumably fresh), and their utter lack of concern seems off-putting without an explanation for the audience.

Kato
2015-07-15, 11:57 AM
... need someone to have amnesia? I mean, it's a decent explanation for why Sabo wasn't at Marineford but "the revolutionaries put him in chains to keep him safe" could have also worked. Or "Sabo is not as crazy as Luffy".

Otherwise... not much to add to the previous post. Dragon seems unlikely to control the crows, though. Maybe Sabo's just a bird whisperer. A bit little content on the chapter but oh well.

And on regard to the others... I don't think they have a reason to worry. As far as they know, they're somewhere on sea chilling, no? I mean, we are excited how things went with Mom, but they don't know about that, do they?

LaZodiac
2015-07-15, 12:04 PM
... need someone to have amnesia? I mean, it's a decent explanation for why Sabo wasn't at Marineford but "the revolutionaries put him in chains to keep him safe" could have also worked. Or "Sabo is not as crazy as Luffy".

Otherwise... not much to add to the previous post. Dragon seems unlikely to control the crows, though. Maybe Sabo's just a bird whisperer. A bit little content on the chapter but oh well.

And on regard to the others... I don't think they have a reason to worry. As far as they know, they're somewhere on sea chilling, no? I mean, we are excited how things went with Mom, but they don't know about that, do they?

WEll actually, the big mafia don pirate guy said he was going after Ceaser. Sanji's group has Ceaser. And if you look carefully you can see the hints of Big Mam's flag on their ship. So they may actually be in danger.

Suichimo
2015-07-15, 12:26 PM
WEll actually, the big mafia don pirate guy said he was going after Ceaser. Sanji's group has Ceaser. And if you look carefully you can see the hints of Big Mam's flag on their ship. So they may actually be in danger.

Honestly, it probably hasn't been that long since Doflamingo was defeated. Less than a day, maybe. The crew simply has to stop and take a breather. Usopp, Luffy, Law, and Bartolomeo are in absolutely no condition to be going anywhere. Franky and Robin are pretty beat up as well. Zoro and Kine'mon are the only two ready to do anything major, and we don't even know how strong Kine'mon is. Clearly, they aren't teaming up with Sabo's particular branch of the Revolutionaries either. A quick tale from Luffy's second brother isn't uncalled for, though I wish they hadn't gone with the amnesia route.

Also, exactly what transportation do they have?

LordRahl6
2015-07-15, 12:51 PM
Well whether we like the amnesia angle or not it explains why Sabo didn't return to Goa Kingdom. Hopefully, we'll get some forward momentum in the next chapter.:smallwink:

Suichimo
2015-07-15, 01:00 PM
Well whether we like the amnesia angle or not it explains why Sabo didn't return to Goa Kingdom. Hopefully, we'll get some forward momentum in the next chapter.:smallwink:

Why would he have returned in the first place? He hated it, the entire reason he ran in to Dragon is because he decided to leave the island as a pirate first. Even if he didn't have amnesia, he wouldn't have gone back there for anything short of visiting Dadan.

lord_khaine
2015-07-15, 06:11 PM
Why would he have returned in the first place? He hated it, the entire reason he ran in to Dragon is because he decided to leave the island as a pirate first. Even if he didn't have amnesia, he wouldn't have gone back there for anything short of visiting Dadan.

Like maybe letting his brothers know he were not dead?

Amnesia is really more or less the only thing that could explain why he did not try and contact any of them.

Sigh
2015-07-15, 10:01 PM
In any case, just popping it to say that we got a new batch of English Dubbed episodes via Funimation, kicking off the first third-half or so of Sabaody. I really like the voices they chose for each of the members of the Big Bad 11, and while I was prepared to dislike the voice they chose for Law (I thought they would go a completely different direction, more dry) the guy they got for him did a fine job IMO.

I also like how the Dragons all have these snobby English accents, really fits the bill from an American standpoint.

Lizard Lord
2015-07-15, 11:23 PM
I have thought about this every since Ace/Saboo/Luffy flashback. I wonder if, just before the final climatic arc, Luffy will share cups of sake with the rest of the Strawhats.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-07-16, 06:18 AM
I have thought about this every since Ace/Saboo/Luffy flashback. I wonder if, just before the final climatic arc, Luffy will share cups of sake with the rest of the Strawhats.

If they do, will they buy it from a man named Binkes?

lord_khaine
2015-07-16, 08:43 AM

Im not sure they will, but then again im not sure they need to.

Already being crewmembers under the same pirate flag does seem to be considered more or less as strong a bond as that.

Suichimo
2015-07-16, 09:22 AM
Like maybe letting his brothers know he were not dead?

Amnesia is really more or less the only thing that could explain why he did not try and contact any of them.

It's not exactly like the phrase "Sorry I let you think I was dead." is uncommon in anime.

lord_khaine
2015-07-16, 12:19 PM
It's not exactly like the phrase "Sorry I let you think I was dead." is uncommon in anime.

Sorry, but i just cant in any way see how this is relevant to that subject.

There are a lot of extremely stupid things that not nearly uncommon enough in anime.

Sigh
2015-07-18, 10:27 PM
Another week, another episode, and we progress this week with most of Doflamingo's backstory ending with Corazon learning of Law's D.

(not apologizing for that)

Lizard Lord
2015-07-19, 01:23 PM
Another week, another episode, and we progress this week with most of Doflamingo's backstory ending with Corazon learning of Law's D.

Its fine. We did plenty of that already.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-07-20, 06:50 PM

Pfft we have already talked about Law's D. and how much Corazon and Mingo obsessed over it.

Forrestfire
2015-07-20, 07:01 PM
Having been rereading through One Piece for the past month or so, I really have to say, the Dressrosa arc is significalty better in one sitting. I had a lot of trouble keeping on top of what was happening over the massive amount of real-life time it took, but reading it straight through from start to finish is much better.

Sigh
2015-07-20, 07:05 PM
Going back to the latest batch of the English dub for a sec, it surprised me just how much I'd misread the subbed version of Duval's backstory, before Funimation set things straight I thought the dude was just another Helmeppo (aka son of the man in charge of that town) until the Navy found him. Maybe it was just the translation I watched but this whole time I thought that was the case up until about a week ago.

LaZodiac
2015-07-20, 08:07 PM
Having been rereading through One Piece for the past month or so, I really have to say, the Dressrosa arc is significalty better in one sitting. I had a lot of trouble keeping on top of what was happening over the massive amount of real-life time it took, but reading it straight through from start to finish is much better.

That's literally the definition of One Piece, in all honesty. It IS great, but it's so much better reading it all at once.

Forrestfire
2015-07-20, 08:35 PM
Seriously. Even the arcs I didn't really enjoy (mainly Thriller Bark and the Davy Back Fight) were fun to run through in one sitting.

It was really sad to watch Sanji's deterioration over time, though. Reading through the manga makes puts his painful, gradual transition from a cool/competent/badass "smart guy" type back towards the Alabastia Arc and the following arcs to... What he is now. He's one of my favorite characters, and I wish his characterization hadn't drifted so much. :smallfrown:

LaZodiac
2015-07-20, 08:44 PM
Seriously. Even the arcs I didn't really enjoy (mainly Thriller Bark and the Davy Back Fight) were fun to run through in one sitting.

It was really sad to watch Sanji's deterioration over time, though. Reading through the manga makes puts his painful, gradual transition from a cool/competent/badass "smart guy" type back towards the Alabastia Arc and the following arcs to... What he is now. He's one of my favorite characters, and I wish his characterization hadn't drifted so much. :smallfrown:

I think it's less drifting and more him kind of getting sent to a magical fairyland of okama that scared him for life. It's silly and dumb but I still think we have our cool, badass Sanji. He's still smart too.

The thing I feel with Sanji is that...maybe it's because of that "Call me Prince" scenario in Alabasta, but I think there's more to Sanji then we think.

ben-zayb
2015-07-20, 11:04 PM
It seems to me that Oda just didn't want Sanji to be as bland as Zorro at the time, and thus had to inject more of the reverse-Casanova trait in him...and the dosage turned out to be too much.

But I dunno, his fights since the TS still look pretty kickass, except for that one against Vergo. Out of combat, the last memorable cool moment he had for me also had him knocked out cold by zorro.

lord_khaine
2015-07-21, 06:12 AM
I think it's less drifting and more him kind of getting sent to a magical fairyland of okama that scared him for life. It's silly and dumb but I still think we have our cool, badass Sanji. He's still smart too.

The thing I feel with Sanji is that...maybe it's because of that "Call me Prince" scenario in Alabasta, but I think there's more to Sanji then we think.

Yeah, poor Sanji spend a few years in hell, of course that is going to mentally scar him, but i honestly dont think he has changed as such in any noticeable way.
Its just that after the timeskip the crew has gotten really crowded, and the new people have drawn focus away from the old hands.

Else, no offence, but i think your letting personal bias affect reasoning there in regard to the "call me Prince thing", all it means is that Sanji is cool, suave and by far the smartest member of the monster trio, so he can easily figure out that using a false name can be a smart thing.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-21, 12:40 PM
The problem with Sanji since the time skip was that he really . . . hasn't done much. I mean, he sat out most of Fishman Island with his nosebleed problem, then took out a lot of fodder and had to double-team a guy with Jinbe. Then on PH he got captured, got body-switched, and then lost to Vergo. Then on Dressrosa he immediatly fell for a woman, got captured, saved himself only by virture of his own perversion, then rushed out to get stomped by Doflamingo and then bugger off for the rest of the arc. Compare that to Zoro, who I'm pretty sure hasn't taken a serious hit from anyone yet, and has taken out a big bad on every island they've been to so far.

Oda is probably going for a running joke about Sanji being the most anonymous member of the crew (he was conveniently removed from the island before the SH's presence was well known and I'm betting he's not getting a bounty increase or a pic in the news as a result), but it would be nice to see him kicking ass and taking names for a change.

Like say . . . against an established threat that was last seen hounding the group of SHs he's currently with.

Sigh
2015-07-21, 01:13 PM
I'm fairly confident that after Luffy wakes up we're going to get some kind of flashback or rewind to see what happened with Sanji and the rest of the crew. Alternatively Oda could troll us hardcore by not showing us that until the crew reunites, which will likely take a while given the circumstances.

lord_khaine
2015-07-21, 03:22 PM
Well its true Sanji has not been kicking quite as much ass as Zorro, but then he has still been getting a bit of screen time, it has just been used for first showing the scar his stay at Okama island had left, and then letting him overcome that affliction in a crowning moment of awesomeness as he decides to risk his life and gaze at the mermaid princess instead of letting such a chance go by.

And Flamingo is such a huge badass, stomping Smoker, would have killed Luffy without interference, that just managing to hold him off like Sanji did was a big accomplishment.

Suichimo
2015-07-21, 07:28 PM
Well, the crew left on the Thousand Sunny consists of Chopper, Nami, Brook, and Sanji. Chopper and Nami might get a bit of spotlight, such as some haki usage like Usopp got, and Brook will probably have a decent fight. That leaves Sanji as the main powerhouse on the ship, he is also the most varied fighter there. If there is going to be any serious combat, Sanji will get the lion's share of it.

I do agree with Dasgovernator though, it does feel like he hasn't done much. I chalk that up more to the extremely slow pacing of the New World, though.

Sigh
2015-07-21, 07:40 PM
I have to wonder, if Brook ever develops Haki what form would he even use? Observation maybe, in order to boost his effectiveness in the speed category? I just can't see him using Armament outside of maybe for protection since he is just a pile of bones.

Lizard Lord
2015-07-21, 09:46 PM
I have to wonder, if Brook ever develops Haki what form would he even use? Observation maybe, in order to boost his effectiveness in the speed category? I just can't see him using Armament outside of maybe for protection since he is just a pile of bones.

I kinda of feel like the effect his music has is already a form of, or at least similar to, Conquerors Haki.

Sigh
2015-07-21, 10:05 PM
Absolutely not, that music has an effect on Luffy, even if only for comedic effect, and no way Brook has stronger Conqueror's than Luffy.

But you know what would be sick? Robin in endgame OP being able to summon a giant version of herself armed with full body armament haki. Archaeologist too stronk plz nerf

lord_khaine
2015-07-22, 05:09 AM
I think Brook's music is more like the thing Jango did, a sort of hypnotism that we are already familiar with, and have seen Luffy is extremely weak against.

But you know what would be sick? Robin in endgame OP being able to summon a giant version of herself armed with full body armament haki. Archaeologist too stronk plz nerf

Why on earth would that be strong? Giants are already a little weak at the current stage of the comic, and while a giant Robin might be able to crush mooks and minions, then she would only make a larger target of herself against anyone competent.

ben-zayb
2015-07-22, 07:56 AM
What's pretty sick is if Robin learned Shigan from the Revolutionary (because why not?) Learning armament haki could also make her a very potent logia grappler/captor.

Brook's fighting style doesn't particularly synergize with any haki ability or rokushiki tech, except maybe soru for his blitzing style or geppo for more flexible movement, which isn't exactly an issue so far anyway. Awakening his DF would be an interesting improvement, since aside maybe from luffy, he seems to have the next most continuously improved DF.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-29, 11:03 PM
Oh Fuji and your dice. You lovable stink'in cheater, you fudged that roll with your DF, didn't you?

So Sanji & co escaped, only to wind up on what is likely a Kaido-aligned island (Zou? It certainly fits an animal theme). What luck they must have. It does seem like these guys have beef with the Samurai though, so that's not looking good

Holy **** Kaido. His hobby is suicide? I just . . .well, you have to admire his determination I guess. I wonder if he's just straight-up immortal then, if he's survived death that many times.

Que the joker references about Kaido just wanting to watch the world burn. I wonder if Kidd & co are going to be doomed before they even get started with their little crusade against Shanks, who I just realized was able to stop a suicidal beast of a man from joining in the war of the best. HYPE INTENSIFIED.

Man, Luffy picked a bad day to piss this guy off.

ben-zayb
2015-07-30, 01:35 AM
That's a really interesting introduction...Kaidou is rocking some pretty badass fu machu...and his DF may be similar to Marvel's Domino? Despite me not being normally impressed with OP's giants, Kaidou's design looks pretty badass and a legit threat (he's a yonkou after all). I, too, wonder how his encounter with X Drake Shanks went.

Kato
2015-07-30, 04:02 AM
Oh Fuji and your dice. You lovable stink'in cheater, you fudged that roll with your DF, didn't you?

What? How dare you accuse an admiral of cheating :smalltongue:

First off... was I the only one weirded out a bit by Riku's announcement? (Or was it just my translation) "Rebecca, when I am king again, you will be queen." I mean, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way...... did he? :smalleek:

The bit with Sanji and Co was nice but a little confusing. I mean, in the end what generally happened was clear but it just seemed a tad hard to make out every single action. Oh well..

And finally, the introduction of the stringest pirate alive... I was a bit confused at first but then it really worked out well. I mean, holy ****, look at the guy. Life really did a number on him and I guess he might as well be immortal, though that probably is impossible... except for Brooke, of course. Though, if he is the strongest alive, how did he manage to get captured so often :smalltongue: Then again, being unkillable gets you that reputation as well.... Maybe he just has massive damage reduction to everything. Though, he has that massive scar. Well, we'll see. (Also, pretty sure the alliance won't be entirely crushed by him... either they run or he makes them his ******, is my guess.

Lizard Lord
2015-07-30, 04:52 AM
What?

First off... was I the only one weirded out a bit by Riku's announcement? (Or was it just my translation) "Rebecca, when I am king again, you will be queen." I mean, I'm sure he didn't mean it that way...... did he? :smalleek:

My translation read that way as well, but I can only assume he meant princess. Maybe the Japanese language doesn't really have a distinction between the two?

Devonix
2015-07-30, 06:58 AM
I think Brook's music is more like the thing Jango did, a sort of hypnotism that we are already familiar with, and have seen Luffy is extremely weak against.

Why on earth would that be strong? Giants are already a little weak at the current stage of the comic, and while a giant Robin might be able to crush mooks and minions, then she would only make a larger target of herself against anyone competent.

Yes but it would be a super strong clone body. Able to deal damage and distract opponents without you needing to worry about your big distraction getting destroyed, since it's just a clone.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-07-30, 07:48 AM
GUYS

Kaido obviously ate the McCloud-McCloud fruit turning him into a Highlander-Man

lord_khaine
2015-07-30, 09:45 AM
Yes but it would be a super strong clone body. Able to deal damage and distract opponents without you needing to worry about your big distraction getting destroyed, since it's just a clone.

Well.. it would be a strong body, but i doubt it would be stronger than Luffy or Zorro at this point.
And she would certainly still have to worry about it getting damaged, we saw that as recent as back at her last fight with Diamande, she suffers some part of the damage thats inflicted on her grown limbs.

Gray Mage
2015-07-30, 10:12 AM
My translation read that way as well, but I can only assume he meant princess. Maybe the Japanese language doesn't really have a distinction between the two?

I assumed he meant in the future she'll be next in line and it was a bad translation.

lord_khaine
2015-07-30, 11:19 AM
it was certainly just a bad translation, with someone mixing Queen and princess up.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-30, 11:26 AM

No, its just a Mangapanda translation. They're kind of famous for being amusingly terrible at translating things since they first go from Japanese to Chinese and then from Chinese to English. It's why I read the summaries off of the Japanese "Raw scans" instead. Riku clearly says Princess there. For another example, Kaido's line at the end of the chapter is closer to "Come on Joker, aren't you ready for the final war yet" rather than the current one that implies Kaido is going to be attacking Joker.

Sigh
2015-07-30, 05:08 PM
I await with gleeful abandon what King of Lightning and the other Youtube reviewers will have to say at this massive unveiling of hype, because I had the BIGGEST grin on my face the entire time reading that.

lord_khaine
2015-07-30, 05:56 PM
Where does people normally go for good translations?

Forrestfire
2015-07-30, 06:51 PM
I like MangaStream, myself.

Dasgovernator
2015-07-31, 02:45 AM
I like MangaStream, myself.

Me too. They're not perfect (they love to add curse words for no real reason sometimes) but they're probably the best you're going to get outside of Viz Manga, which costs money and comes out when the actual issue hits the shelves.

Also

This is an interesting theory I saw on another site: Kaido's apparent immortality is because a previous user of the Ope-Ope no mi did that immortality operation on him sometime in the past. It would explain why Law, the current user, thinks he has a way to actually beat him.

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 08:38 AM
Me too. They're not perfect (they love to add curse words for no real reason sometimes) but they're probably the best you're going to get outside of Viz Manga, which costs money and comes out when the actual issue hits the shelves.

Also

This is an interesting theory I saw on another site: Kaido's apparent immortality is because a previous user of the Ope-Ope no mi did that immortality operation on him sometime in the past. It would explain why Law, the current user, thinks he has a way to actually beat him.Kaidou already tried to commit suicide by eating multiple DFs, to no effect. The reason why he is called thousand beasts is he has that many artificial zoan DF in his system.

lord_khaine
2015-07-31, 01:39 PM
This is an interesting theory I saw on another site: Kaido's apparent immortality is because a previous user of the Ope-Ope no mi did that immortality operation on him sometime in the past. It would explain why Law, the current user, thinks he has a way to actually beat him.

Dont see a need to spoiler this as its mainly a theory.
And i personally dont think its to likely. It is a good theory that explain why Kaido is the target, but we cant even be sure of that any more now we know Joker were the real target for Law.
For that matter i dont think the Ope- Ope fruit gives actual Cant-be-killed immortality, but just eternal life. It is something that would fit more into the operation fruits domain, and i could easily see a bad translation using one of those words when it meant the other.

Kaidou already tried to commit suicide by eating multiple DFs, to no effect. The reason why he is called thousand beasts is he has that many artificial zoan DF in his system.

Really? got a source on that? As i understood Kaidou were giving those Artificial DF's to his men.

Suichimo
2015-07-31, 03:08 PM

Why would he be constantly trying to kill himself then?

lord_khaine
2015-07-31, 05:39 PM
Why would he be constantly trying to kill himself then?

Actually.. i think he is less trying to kill himself.. and more testing exotic suicide methods because he is so though, that he either think its fun or gets an ego boost out of showing its not enough to work on himself.

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 06:56 PM
Really? got a source on that? As i understood Kaidou were giving those Artificial DF's to his men.It's also a speculation, as I've noted in the spoiler's headers. It's possible that Kaidou has a really enormous amount of zoan DFs, though, so running out shouldn't be that much of an issue

Infernally Clay
2015-07-31, 07:13 PM
I doubt he has multiple Devil Fruits. That's Blackbeard's thing. His "immortality" is either a byproduct of the Devil Fruit he has or he isn't immortal at all but simply absurdly tough - in other words, he simply hasn't yet found a way he can die.

LaZodiac
2015-07-31, 07:26 PM
My guess is that Kaidou has a Chimera devil fruit.

Sigh
2015-07-31, 09:26 PM
If I remember correctly I believe Moria said that Kaido was the same brand of idiot that Luffy was back in the day, perhaps his obsession with suicide is simply a wish to get a genuine thrill? After all, for a pirate like what we can assume Kaido to be from what we know of his he must feel like not having a genuine challenge or threat against his life is insanely boring, thus why he needs the Zoan army to throw the world off balance.

After all, some men just want to see the world burn.

ben-zayb
2015-07-31, 10:32 PM
I doubt he has multiple Devil Fruits. That's Blackbeard's thing. His "immortality" is either a byproduct of the Devil Fruit he has or he isn't immortal at all but simply absurdly tough - in other words, he simply hasn't yet found a way he can die.

But, but... suicide in one piece world is easy! Eat a grand total of 2 Devil Fruits, and it will kill you. Eat a Devil Fruit and jump to the ocean, and it might also kill you.

LaZodiac
2015-07-31, 10:57 PM
But, but... suicide in one piece world is easy! Eat a grand total of 2 Devil Fruits, and it will kill you. Eat a Devil Fruit and jump to the ocean, and it might also kill you.

Therein lies the mystery of Kaidou.

Kato
2015-08-01, 01:58 AM
Eh, I guess the theory about Kaido makes some amount of sense, but a) I agree with khaine that the Ope-immortality is likely "just" eternal youth or something, not resilience to all injuries and b) the "I'm so tough nothing can kill me (and thus I invented a new hobby)" seems much more in accordance with the rest of the story.
Obviously, there could be a deeper meaning behind his immortality, but I'm inclined to believe it's just toughness. Or luck. We'll see.
re his devil fruit... I think there was some talk about him having a mythical Zoan at some point? I'm not sure. I guess he could also just be a normal person, or he'd probably have tried doing something crazy like... going for a swim. But as most villains so far were DF users... And Shanks already is a Yonkou without a fruit...

So, random immortality question: What can kill Brooke?

ben-zayb
2015-08-01, 03:44 AM
Eh, I guess the theory about Kaido makes some amount of sense, but a) I agree with khaine that the Ope-immortality is likely "just" eternal youth or something, not resilience to all injuries and b) the "I'm so tough nothing can kill me (and thus I invented a new hobby)" seems much more in accordance with the rest of the story.
Obviously, there could be a deeper meaning behind his immortality, but I'm inclined to believe it's just toughness. Or luck. We'll see.
re his devil fruit... I think there was some talk about him having a mythical Zoan at some point? I'm not sure. I guess he could also just be a normal person, or he'd probably have tried doing something crazy like... going for a swim. But as most villains so far were DF users... And Shanks already is a Yonkou without a fruit...

So, random immortality question: What can kill Brooke?Good idea bringing up another supposedly "immortal" character, although I believe Brook's variety is something closer to "as long as my soul isn't dead, then I can still control my body".

I'd actually prefer if Kaido turns out to be a normal giant, with the horns even suggesting the same species as Oars/Jr. It'd be awesome if most races have at least 1 top-tier badass normals: Shanks for humans, Kaido for giants, Big Mam for fishmen. I'm guessing plenty the list also includes Mihawk, Roger, Rayleigh, and Beckham.

Lurkmoar
2015-08-01, 04:21 AM
So, random immortality question: What can kill Brooke?

Lava. Lots of lava.

Maybe. Other then that, I'm thinking extreme pressure that can grind bones into dust.

ryuplaneswalker
2015-08-01, 07:28 AM
Prediction time

The reveal of Kaidou's backstory will, surprise us all with a revelation that nobody expected and will move us to tears.

ben-zayb
2015-08-01, 09:12 AM
Prediction time

The reveal of Kaidou's backstory will, surprise us all with a revelation that nobody expected and will move us to tears.
After Senor Pink's story, anything is possible.:smallamused:

Suichimo
2015-08-01, 11:46 PM
Good idea bringing up another supposedly "immortal" character, although I believe Brook's variety is something closer to "as long as my soul isn't dead, then I can still control my body".

I'd actually prefer if Kaido turns out to be a normal giant, with the horns even suggesting the same species as Oars/Jr. It'd be awesome if most races have at least 1 top-tier badass normals: Shanks for humans, Kaido for giants, Big Mam for fishmen. I'm guessing plenty the list also includes Mihawk, Roger, Rayleigh, and Beckham.

Big Mom isn't a fishman, she just kept Fishman Island under her name. The Fishmen still have plenty of badass normals, though, with Arlong, Jinbei, and Fisher Tiger.

Razade
2015-08-01, 11:58 PM
My guess is that Kaidou has a Chimera devil fruit.

Honestly, I don't think Kaido has a devil fruit at all. So far the only thing aiming at that fact is he's nigh unkillable. Could be through plenty of other means.

Cyber Punk
2015-08-02, 05:21 AM
Maybe, Kaidou (also) has an insane Armament Haki. It's a big maybe.

It's highly possible that it'd be revealed that he doesn't use that specific brand of Haki, though. Also, I bet Kaidou is a D.

Kato
2015-08-02, 05:33 AM
Lava. Lots of lava.

Maybe. Other then that, I'm thinking extreme pressure that can grind bones into dust.
The bone Grinding seems possible. Not sure about the lava, though.
Kind of related: Do we have any indication whether Brook is affected by seastone? I mean, the Sea doesn't seem to...

Prediction time

So... like every other backstory? :smalltongue:

Maybe, Kaidou (also) has an insane Armament Haki. It's a big maybe.

It's highly possible that it'd be revealed that he doesn't use that specific brand of Haki, though. Also, I bet Kaidou is a D.
Kai D. Ou? :smallbiggrin: