PDA

View Full Version : Do you want OOTS book 7 be phonebook sized?

With a box
2015-04-20, 10:34 AM
or britannica size?:smalltongue:
or a 1TB hard drive that contains entire OOTS materials drown for a century?:smalleek:

martianmister
2015-04-20, 06:20 PM
No.........

137beth
2015-04-20, 06:26 PM
I'd prefer Britannica-sized or phone-book-sized. I don't think I could ever finish reading an entire TB worth of OOTS.

ti'esar
2015-04-20, 06:39 PM
Nothing is a true fantasy epic until it weighs as much as a brick.

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-04-20, 09:45 PM
Not literally, as that sounds difficult to make and expensive. I would appreciate having a lot of OOTS, though.

dps
2015-04-20, 10:20 PM
Nothing is a true fantasy epic until it weighs as much as a brick.

I think that OotS in book form has already went well beyond that.

Lissou
2015-04-21, 06:37 AM
I want it to be the size it needs to be. If it gets much bigger than BRitF, though, it might need to be split into two parts, be it only for practical purposes.

But I expect it to be shorter.

Dr. Gamera
2015-04-21, 06:53 AM
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

(But for me, the more OOTS, the better.)

Reddish Mage
2015-04-21, 08:28 AM
I'm waiting for someone to write "what's a phonebook?"

Also acceptable "What a britannica?"

Jay R
2015-04-21, 10:39 AM
This question is functionally equivalent to "How long do you want to wait for OOTS book 7?"

I'd rather see a continuing series of books the same size we've been getting, even if they are labeled 7a, 7b, 7c, etc.

Emanick
2015-04-21, 11:11 PM
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Did you come up with that? Because that's just a fantastic epigram.

Anyway, five years ago, I pretty much wanted OOTS to go on forever. At this point, though, I think I'd rather see it come to a close at pretty much the rate it's going. I hope (and fully expect) that I'll be able to read Rich's work for the rest of his active life, but all stories have a natural ending point, and I'd rather not see OOTS get dragged on beyond that point.

ti'esar
2015-04-21, 11:15 PM
Did you come up with that? Because that's just a fantastic epigram.

It's a line from the eminently quotable Ambassador Kosh of Babylon 5 (the sci-fi TV series that named this website).

Emperordaniel
2015-04-22, 01:35 AM
I want it to be the size it needs to be. If it gets much bigger than BRitF, though, it might need to be split into two parts, be it only for practical purposes.

But I expect it to be shorter.

No, no, NO!

The last book will be split into two parts when they make it into a movie. It's the only way. :smallwink:

Lissou
2015-04-22, 03:15 AM
No, no, NO!

The last book will be split into two parts when they make it into a movie. It's the only way. :smallwink:

The next book, as far as I know, is not the last book (I think I remember reading that there would be two more books after BRitF?). But either way, you're right, of course. The last book, be it this one, the one after that or even another one, will be split into two movies even if much smaller than previous books or having less content, and will presumably be cut off at a point that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

D.One
2015-04-22, 01:15 PM
Britannica is that place where that avatar guy dwells, right? :smallbiggrin:

The fantasy one, no the sci-fi one. :smallbiggrin:

The medieval fantasy PC game one, not the almost-anime reincarnating elemental controlling one. :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2015-04-22, 02:00 PM
Britannica is that place where that avatar guy dwells, right? :smallbiggrin:

The fantasy one, no the sci-fi one. :smallbiggrin:

The medieval fantasy PC game one, not the almost-anime reincarnating elemental controlling one. :smalltongue:That's Britannia, not Britannica :smalltongue:

D.One
2015-04-22, 02:26 PM
That's Britannia, not Britannica :smalltongue:

I know, I was just trying to keep the theme going. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0724.html):smallcool:

Lissou
2015-04-22, 05:52 PM
...Just now realised that the title of this thread said "book 7", not " the next book" . So yeah, that's the last book.

Going back to the idea of it being split up, I think most of the time when that happens it disrupts the story so I hope it won't (and I don't think the Giant would want to anyways) and I think we have some margin before the book becomes big enough that it actually gets in the way of reading it (I have a few books like that that I don't read because they're too big and it's just not practical. Plus when they're softcover the spine breaks in the middle even after reading them just once) but looking at book 5 now, book 7 would need to be something like double the size for the issues that come with books being too big to be that bad. And I don't think that's going to happen.

Hiro Protagonest
2015-04-22, 07:01 PM
Encyclopedia Brittanica? I dunno how thick it is...

littlebum2002
2015-04-22, 07:12 PM
Encyclopedia Brittanica? Is that like Wikipedia?

JCarter426
2015-04-22, 07:22 PM
I don't see how else it could contain those excerpts from the Azure City phone book we were promised.

skim172
2015-04-22, 07:40 PM
A phonebook? Not big enough. I personally want Book 7 to be a grand tome, its dimensions as large as a young child and heavy enough to kill a cow if dropped from medium height. And its pages will be made of finest vellum, filled with illuminated manuscripts and delicately inscribed runic verses of lost tongues. It will be bound by the ancient leather of forgotten beasts of legend.

And its text will be so great that though you would begin to read it as a child, you would reach the final pages as a man - and never in a lifetime could you hope to comprehend the whole breadth of its beauty. It will be so colossal that it would collapse any ordinary table under its immense gravity, instead requiring a special podium made of finest Italian marble (available from OokaDook, pre-order now, beat the rush), carved with breathtaking images of heroes and gods, and made to outlast the length of civilization itself.

In endless eons, it shall sleep upon its pedestal, until primitive tribes of New Humanity shall happen upon its stately, preserved sepulchre. They shall enter that ancient place, tread in fearful awe up those dusty steps, to that marble plinth, where not a mote of sand nor ash lies upon the elevated tome, bathed in a single ray of light from an unknown source: "The Order of the Stick".

And they shall read. And their eyes shall be opened. And there, at that spot, shall arise the first city, the first empire, of those primitive wretches descended of Old Man, who will rise to become the Glorious Enlightened of the Earth, then of the Planets, then of the Stars.

For lo, as The Giant hath written within the Sacred Codexes of the Order of the Stick:

"not nale, not-nale. thog help nale nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail."Meditate upon these words - and thou shalt reach true enlightenment.

But really, I'd be cool with any book format - whatever the author wants.

YossarianLives
2015-04-22, 11:41 PM
A phonebook? Not big enough. I personally want Book 7 to be a grand tome, its dimensions as large as a young child and heavy enough to kill a cow if dropped from medium height. And its pages will be made of finest vellum, filled with illuminated manuscripts and delicately inscribed runic verses of lost tongues. It will be bound by the ancient leather of forgotten beasts of legend.

And its text will be so great that though you would begin to read it as a child, you would reach the final pages as a man - and never in a lifetime could you hope to comprehend the whole breadth of its beauty. It will be so colossal that it would collapse any ordinary table under its immense gravity, instead requiring a special podium made of finest Italian marble (available from OokaDook, pre-order now, beat the rush), carved with breathtaking images of heroes and gods, and made to outlast the length of civilization itself.

In endless eons, it shall sleep upon its pedestal, until primitive tribes of New Humanity shall happen upon its stately, preserved sepulchre. They shall enter that ancient place, tread in fearful awe up those dusty steps, to that marble plinth, where not a mote of sand nor ash lies upon the elevated tome, bathed in a single ray of light from an unknown source: "The Order of the Stick".

And they shall read. And their eyes shall be opened. And there, at that spot, shall arise the first city, the first empire, of those primitive wretches descended of Old Man, who will rise to become the Glorious Enlightened of the Earth, then of the Planets, then of the Stars.

For lo, as The Giant hath written within the Sacred Codexes of the Order of the Stick:

But really, I'd be cool with any book format - whatever the author wants.

That was.... That was beautiful. *sniff*

Killer Angel
2015-04-23, 06:16 AM
Anyway, five years ago, I pretty much wanted OOTS to go on forever. At this point, though, I think I'd rather see it come to a close at pretty much the rate it's going. I hope (and fully expect) that I'll be able to read Rich's work for the rest of his active life, but all stories have a natural ending point, and I'd rather not see OOTS get dragged on beyond that point.

QFT.
I've had enough with ASOIAF, of neverending stories.

Emperordaniel
2015-04-23, 08:19 AM
*snip*

Now I'm picturing a novelization of The Order of the Stick...

137beth
2015-04-23, 02:14 PM
Now I'm picturing a novelization of The Order of the Stick...

And then a bunch of spin-off novels and videogames, collectively referred to as The Order of the Stick: Expanded Multiverse.

Then ten years later, there will be a reboot, entitled Order of the Stick: the Snarl Awakens. As part of the reboot, the entire Expanded Multiverse will be declared an alternate Order of the stick: Legends universe, and we will all freak out about how much formerly cannon material was deleted.

Jasdoif
2015-04-23, 02:32 PM
And then a bunch of spin-off novels and videogames, collectively referred to as The Order of the Stick: Expanded Multiverse.

Then ten years later, there will be a reboot, entitled Order of the Stick: the Snarl Awakens. As part of the reboot, the entire Expanded Multiverse will be declared an alternate Order of the stick: Legends universe, and we will all freak out about how much formerly cannon material was deleted.It'd be an improvement over the tier system we're saddled with now, though.

Peelee
2015-04-23, 04:52 PM

Then ten years later, there will be a reboot, entitled Order of the Stick: the Snarl Awakens. As part of the reboot, the entire Expanded Multiverse will be declared an alternate Order of the stick: Legends universe, and we will all freak out about how much formerly cannon material was deleted.

Eh, I'd miss a fair bit of the EM, but probably think that a lot of it was horrible drivel that deserved to get tossed. And I'd still believe, regardless, that Paladins of the Old World was still canon, because OH MY GOD that was amazing!

skim172
2015-04-23, 11:57 PM
Eh, I'd miss a fair bit of the EM, but probably think that a lot of it was horrible drivel that deserved to get tossed. And I'd still believe, regardless, that Paladins of the Old World was still canon, because OH MY GOD that was amazing!

Well, first will come the prequels, in which we learn that the Snarl used to be an innocent young ball of yarn, who falls in love with his childhood nanny, and then chariot racing, and then two hours of nonsense involving clones, and then the Snarl will murder little children because he had a dream that his girlfriend died or something, and also Mr. Scruffy will have rocket boosters.

Also, EXP is measurable as a blood test for "midi-schmlorians."

But sometime. before that, Rich Burlew be possessed by an alien symbiote that wraps itself around his spine and throat, causing his neck to expand to the thickness of a Christmas ham, and giving him crazy, crazy ideas. "Remake the original strips and add more AT-ATs," they'll whisper. :smalleek:

goodpeople25
2015-04-24, 12:33 AM

Wouldn't the order of the expanded multiverse, spoliers for star wars expanded universe ahead

Mean that V/Durkon (or belkar, if he survives his prophecy) dies saving Haleys's and Elans youngest son (who dies anyway later on) from a random assault of extra-planer beings immune to magic, (which might be what the dark-one wanted the snarl for) and that Xykon has extra phylacteries and temporarily turns Roy to his side. And that the goblins who look defeated at the end come back over and over. And that their are more world eating abominations inculding one that one of roys students at his fighter academy takes control of and destroys stuff but graduates with honors anyway, though im not sure if Haleys and Elans older twin son killing celia is such a bad thing Jk:smallwink:.
If i got anything wrong from the expanded universe let me know Im doing this by memory, also hope what i said made sense, and if you get all of that you get some republic credits (offer only applies if you spend them at wattos shop on tationie)

137beth
2015-04-25, 07:54 PM
Well, first will come the prequels, in which we learn that the Snarl used to be an innocent young ball of yarn, who falls in love with his childhood nanny, and then chariot racing, and then two hours of nonsense involving clones, and then the Snarl will murder little children because he had a dream that his girlfriend died or something, and also Mr. Scruffy will have rocket boosters.

Also, EXP is measurable as a blood test for "midi-schmlorians."

But sometime. before that, Rich Burlew be possessed by an alien symbiote that wraps itself around his spine and throat, causing his neck to expand to the thickness of a Christmas ham, and giving him crazy, crazy ideas. "Remake the original strips and add more AT-ATs," they'll whisper. :smalleek:

The big difference seems to be that with OOTS, most of the forumites think the first book is among the weakest, and that one of the prequels is among the best (since SoD won the Ultimate OOTS Book Tournament).

Although, maybe in the special home video edition of Episode IV: Don't Split the Party, we'll find out that Crystal Shot First (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html).

Darth Paul
2015-04-25, 09:53 PM
It's a line from the eminently quotable Ambassador Kosh of Babylon 5 (the sci-fi TV series that named this website).

Please, I haven't seen that series in so long; can you relate to me how exactly the Giant in the Playground title comes from B5? (I expect it was about the Vorlons, but who said it and when?)

Jasdoif
2015-04-25, 10:53 PM
Please, I haven't seen that series in so long; can you relate to me how exactly the Giant in the Playground title comes from B5? (I expect it was about the Vorlons, but who said it and when?)This one's in the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html).

Well, I picked the name when I first signed on to the Wizards.com message boards in April 2001. As memory serves, I had been reading the boards but not posting for a few weeks when I saw a topic in which everyone who had replied thus far was a complete moron. In a fit of snippiness, I registered and decided to pick a name that would have a connotation of intellectual superiority. Now, I am also a lifelong fan of the Babylon 5 television show, and at one point during the early 4th season, Sheridan refers to the ultra-powerful Vorlons and Shadows as "giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." The quote later made it into the 5th season opening credits. So I decided it had the right level of implication for the bozos to which I was about to respond.

After that, I started posting a LOT on the WOTC boards. I never thought I had built a reputation or anything, but in 2002 when I was announced as the finalist in the Fantasy Setting Search, a lot of people said, "Oh! I've read your posts. You know what you're talking about." At this time I realized that the screen name "Giant in the Playground" had as much brand recognition as my real name, so I decided to keep it for my website and future web activities.

Darth Paul
2015-04-26, 08:28 AM
We HAVE a FAQ?!?

Thanks Jasdoif.

Onyavar
2015-04-27, 04:49 PM
Sounds not like my kind of fun. Phonebooks (you know, the cross between iPhones and NetBooks that Amapplooglezon produces in 2019) isn't the same format that the previous books had, and I'd like them all to fit into the ultimate OotS collection Box...
Nope, same format as the previous books please, thankyouverymuch.

Emanick
2015-04-27, 10:44 PM
Phonebooks (you know, the cross between iPhones and NetBooks that Amapplooglezon produces in 2019)

This is now my personal headcanon of what the future will be. Just sayin'.

littlebum2002
2015-04-28, 09:31 AM

Please, I haven't seen that series in so long; can you relate to me how exactly the Giant in the Playground title comes from B5? (I expect it was about the Vorlons, but who said it and when?)

This one's in the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html).

Well, I picked the name when I first signed on to the Wizards.com message boards in April 2001. As memory serves, I had been reading the boards but not posting for a few weeks when I saw a topic in which everyone who had replied thus far was a complete moron. In a fit of snippiness, I registered and decided to pick a name that would have a connotation of intellectual superiority. Now, I am also a lifelong fan of the Babylon 5 television show, and at one point during the early 4th season, Sheridan refers to the ultra-powerful Vorlons and Shadows as "giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." The quote later made it into the 5th season opening credits. So I decided it had the right level of implication for the bozos to which I was about to respond.

After that, I started posting a LOT on the WOTC boards. I never thought I had built a reputation or anything, but in 2002 when I was announced as the finalist in the Fantasy Setting Search, a lot of people said, "Oh! I've read your posts. You know what you're talking about." At this time I realized that the screen name "Giant in the Playground" had as much brand recognition as my real name, so I decided to keep it for my website and future web activities.

Holy cow, you guys just blew my mind! I always thought it was a reference to the fantasy game from Ender's Game. In it, he killed a giant, and a playground was built on the giant's corpse. The Giant in the playground. I'm amazed to find out there is no relation.

Onyavar
2015-04-28, 04:38 PM
Holy cow, you guys just blew my mind! I always thought it was a reference to the fantasy game from Ender's Game. In it, he killed a giant, and a playground was built on the giant's corpse. The Giant in the playground. I'm amazed to find out there is no relation.

You know, your idea also makes sense. Different series and I'd have no idea what this giant would represent in that case (hmm... an obstacle to the destroyer of civilizations?), but it's also pretty cool.

137beth
2015-04-30, 01:19 PM
Sounds not like my kind of fun. Phonebooks (you know, the cross between iPhones and NetBooks that Amapplooglezon produces in 2019) isn't the same format that the previous books had, and I'd like them all to fit into the ultimate OotS collection Box...
Nope, same format as the previous books please, thankyouverymuch.

Oh my gods, I have to add this to my quote box! Please?

At some point though Amapplooglezon might absorb Microsoft too (becoming Microamapplooglesozon), and then we'll have Phonebooks weaved in to every window-shade.

Onyavar
2015-04-30, 08:02 PM
Oh my gods, I have to add this to my quote box! Please?

Go ahead, though I doubt it's sig-worthy material when out of context. You may clean it up though.

Sermil
2015-05-02, 06:14 PM
We HAVE a FAQ?!?

Yep, last updated in 2005, and is still talking about a M/W/F update schedule... (And still claiming the reason for the Order to refer to themselves as Order of the Stick "has yet to be revealed" when it was totally revealed in On the Origin of PCs. And... it's actually pretty funny to look through all the out-of-date entries...)

Ragan
2017-04-06, 02:18 PM
Sorry for necro-posting but ...

Does anyone know when the next book is due?

I need it. Bad.

Peelee
2017-04-06, 02:37 PM

I need it. Bad.

No. Not even the author, as the next book will have the current and future strips in it, and there's no set timetable that we know of for it

Also, for future reference, you could have just made your own thread for this instead of necro-ing an old one

littlebum2002
2017-04-06, 02:58 PM
Book 7:
http://www.kumailplus.com/wp-content/original/2011_04/aBglP.jpg

Ruck
2017-04-06, 04:38 PM
I want it to be the size it needs to be.
Pretty much this. I want it to be exactly as long as it needs to be for the Giant to tell the story the way he sees fit.

QFT.
I've had enough with ASOIAF, of neverending stories.

I'm convinced at this point that Martin has no intention of writing the final books.

I'm waiting for someone to write "what's a phonebook?"

Also acceptable "What a britannica?"

What's a battle?

Emanick
2017-04-06, 08:11 PM
I don't know what kind of phone books you guys are used to, but the last few OOTS books have been roughly the size of my local phone books already. (Y'know, before they stopped making them.)

Roland St. Jude
2017-04-06, 09:04 PM

I need it. Bad.Sheriff: Don't be sorry for breaking the rules, just don't break the rules.