PDA

View Full Version : Minion/underling/apprentice

Paeleus
2015-04-20, 12:08 PM
Last nights session had my level 10 high elf wizard on a side campaign mission for the Harpers. The Main Party in the Main Campaign is taking 6 months downtime to each pursue personal interests, so everyone else except myself played temp characters. Long story short, I gained a lvl 1 lightfoot halfling rogue apprentice. Complete with character sheet and the ability to use him and my wizard back in the Main Campaign.

So many questions, so many options, and the glaring fact that this could break the game. What do? besides bow my head and thank the DM.

MrStabby
2015-04-20, 12:14 PM
Last nights session had my level 10 high elf wizard on a side campaign mission for the Harpers. The Main Party in the Main Campaign is taking 6 months downtime to each pursue personal interests, so everyone else except myself played temp characters. Long story short, I gained a lvl 1 lightfoot halfling rogue apprentice. Complete with character sheet and the ability to use him and my wizard back in the Main Campaign.

So many questions, so many options, and the glaring fact that this could break the game. What do? besides bow my head and thank the DM.

This may sound weird, but don't use him much. At least not in combat. If you do it is too easy for the DM to have both the incentive and the means to take him away! Use him to do scouting/reconnaissance tasks for future adventures whilst doing the one you are on. Train him up in your downtime.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-20, 12:26 PM
Do I understand you have a new character for 6 months, who will then come into the main campaign as an apprentice? And during this time you won't be running your wizard?

Try to develop the skills that will complement your wizard. What would your wizard want from a minion?

Maxilian
2015-04-20, 02:41 PM
In my campaing we have a lot of hirelings (mostly working in the town while we are on our adventures) and we use some of them in combat (normally, we use them... cause they are there, but they won't make a big difference -they normally make the cleric -me- waste spells slots to heal them -lvl 1 characters vs lvl 6 bosses? not a good idea-), and even though they are a problem in combat, is nice to have those guys around, mostly because... there are way too many things to do and not enough time :smallbiggrin:

Paeleus
2015-04-20, 09:39 PM
Do I understand you have a new character for 6 months, who will then come into the main campaign as an apprentice? And during this time you won't be running your wizard?

Try to develop the skills that will complement your wizard. What would your wizard want from a minion?

Sorry, I was kind of vague. This campaign where I picked up the halfling street urchin is part of my 6 months downtime. I'm a Harper and decided to pursue that path to help further the plot during my 6 month downtime and get a head start on the BBEG. I will re-enter the main campaign with the halfling with (or without, if I choose) me. I can use and control him in battle or I can send him on errands and such. I can share experience from my wizard whenever I earn it. However, I can not jump an entire level when doing so.

I think I might teach him a little magic. And presto, arcane trickster. Although that seems a bit trite. womp.