PDA

View Full Version : Ranger or Paladin level 1-5 help

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 01:09 PM
Is there a way to get this done, players wants to choose one then the other as a prestige

ranger- protection from evil at low levels?

Paladin- calm animals at low levels?

I decided to separate this from my other post because this is creating its own problem aside from that build. These two classes do not seem to mesh well i am learning.

Metahuman1
2015-04-20, 01:13 PM
Well, there are Prestige versions of both classes in Unearthed Arcana. I'm not sure that getting the requirements for both, one by 5th the other by 8th level, will work very well.

That said, if the PC is a divine caster, really, all he needs to do is Dip 1 level of each and he can cast everything on both lists up to his actual base class casting ability. Including the 5th level stuff Mystic Ranger get's if you wanna use that variant.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 01:19 PM
Ok...my problem is i can figure out how to enter the other with these.
Going ranger into prestige paladin doesn't work. And vice versa.
I am willing to use any variant (actually using neutral paladin variant even as the prestige, doesn't change anything really).

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 01:27 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to do. Obviously you can't qualify for prestige paladin or prestige ranger in 3 levels because both require BaB +4.

Troacctid
2015-04-20, 01:29 PM
And Paladins and Rangers don't get any spells at all until level 4.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 01:30 PM
Oops supposed to be 1-5 if possible, my bad. And this is now just to simply see if i can do it...kind of became personal after spending four freaking hours on it.

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 01:34 PM
Oops supposed to be 1-5 if possible, my bad. And this is now just to simply see if i can do it...kind of became personal after spending four freaking hours on it.

Ranger with Edgewalker Sentinel feat qualifies for Prestige Paladin at level 4. That'll do?

EDIT: Missed the Turning requirement. That gets the spell though.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 01:36 PM
Yes actually. THANK YOU. lol seriously i was becoming irate at this point trying to figure out if i could even do this.
All that is left is turning now...
I guess I could fit an apostle of peace in since as a human he is take sacred vow and vow of poverty anyways.

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 01:43 PM
Ranger 4/Knight of the Raven 3/Prestige Paladin X?

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 01:47 PM
could work

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 02:00 PM
All I can see the other way is:

Paladin 10/Contemplative 1 for Animal Domain/Prestige Ranger X

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 02:01 PM
Me too...
Trying to keep this focused on just this idea though because expanding further makes this cross into my other past's area.

Curmudgeon
2015-04-20, 02:02 PM
That said, if the PC is a divine caster, really, all he needs to do is Dip 1 level of each and he can cast everything on both lists up to his actual base class casting ability.
That's nothing like what the actual rules say.
Unique Spells

The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists contain a number of spells that don't appear on other classes' spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class.
So you want a 2nd level unique Ranger spell? You get it at the same level of Prestige Ranger as you would for the standard Ranger class: 8th.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 02:06 PM
That's nothing like what the actual rules say.
So you want a 2nd level unique Ranger spell? You get it at the same level of Prestige Ranger as you would for the standard Ranger class: 8th.

honestly i have seen it argued that;
that line means exactly what you just said.
That the line means you get the spell at the same spell level as the ranger (in case both get the spell).

For my purposes...idc. My player wants a paladin/ranger build that really needs to have both by level 5.

Also thinking mystic ranger (spells earlier).

Flickerdart
2015-04-20, 02:14 PM
As long as your DM is willing to waive the alignment requirement, one level of Soldier of Light provides both the casting ability and the turning necessary to enter Prestige Paladin.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 02:18 PM
Looked at that and didn't see how to enter it this early, earliest that would come online is level 6, and beyond this he plans on going into knight of the raven and sworn slayer

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 02:21 PM
I assumed you didn't want class dips with their own spell list, since otherwise you could just dip a level of druid/cleric.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 02:31 PM
At this point i am just wanting someone to show me how to do this. I give up lol. Would prefer not to dip to many times though but if you can show me a build using

ranger or paladin + prestige ranger or prestige paladin + X < level 5. IDC

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 02:35 PM
Repel outsider...how does that feat fit into here...actually how does it even work. It mentions you getting turn just like a cleric and even treating outsiders as undead. If it counts as turning undead then there is my solution, all neatly wrapped up for me as a feat.

Also is sword of the arcane order and shooting star variant worth it here?

ComaVision
2015-04-20, 03:09 PM
At this point i am just wanting someone to show me how to do this. I give up lol. Would prefer not to dip to many times though but if you can show me a build using

ranger or paladin + prestige ranger or prestige paladin + X < level 5. IDC

Ranger 4/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin

Paladin 4/Druid 1/Prestige Ranger

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 03:13 PM
Would have to be one level later then i hoped but might not be able to avoid it.

What about the repel outsider feat, its wording is strange. Actually i just realized i got this off of a site so it might not be 100% right or maybe not at all. As i thought, the site changed it, it doesn't mention counting them as undead at all.

Petrocorus
2015-04-20, 04:02 PM
As long as your DM is willing to waive the alignment requirement, one level of Soldier of Light provides both the casting ability and the turning necessary to enter Prestige Paladin.

That would be fine, but Soldier of Light requires BAB +5, so you enter at level 6.

j_spencer93
2015-04-20, 04:04 PM
Exactly, i need something for level 4 right now to fill in nicely. IF nothing really fits then i guess another ranger level.