PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Archon [MitP]

The_Cowinator
2007-04-15, 11:05 PM
Snowy Archon

Small Outsider (Archon, Cold, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful)
Hit Dice:2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative:+3
Speed: Fly 100 ft (Perfect) (20 Squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+1 Size, +4 Natural, +5 deflection [Aura of Cold], +3 Dex) Touch 19, Flat Footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
Attack: None
Full attack: None
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks:Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Aura of Cold, Damage Reduction 5/evil and magic, darkvision 60 ft, immunity to electricity and petrification, cold Subtype, Magic Circle against Evil, teleport, tongues
Saves: Fort +3 (+7 vs. Poison), Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration +4, Diplomacy +4, Knowledge (The Planes) +2, Listen +4, Survival (Arctic) +4, Spot +4
Feats: Reach Spell
Environment: Seven Heavens (Arctic/Tundra)
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Flurry (5-10), Snow Storm (10-10000)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Lawful Good
Advancement: 2-5 HD (Small) 5-10 HD (Medium)

This small blue ball is about the size of your head, floating effortlessly off the ground. It appears to have an unearthly glow about it, showing that it is not of this world. As you approach, however, a chill runs through your body, numbing your spine.

Snowy Archons are the tenderizers for the Archon Army and the Forces of Good. They are the front line, blasting away with their spell-like abilities and then retreating as the melee types move in to finish the kill.

Combat

A Snowy Archon Never gets into melee combat. They hover just out of their opponents reach and then use their Aura of Cold and spell-like abilities to incapacitate their foes.
Aura of Cold (Su): A Snowy Archon constantly emits a bone-chilling aura that does a 1d10 damage and slows (no save) within 10 ft, as well as granting a +5 deflection bonus to AC. This may be suppressed or resumed by the Archon as a free action.
Cold Subtype (Ex): A Snowy Archon takes no damage from cold attacks and and additional 50% from fire attacks, regardless of whether they made their save or not.
Spell-like Abilities (Sp): CL 4th; At Will- Aid, Detect Evil, Detect Warmth 1/Minute- Shivering touch 3/Day- Iceball (as per the spell Fireball, only with ice and cold damage)

Icewalker
2007-04-15, 11:35 PM
The CR is questionable. I also find it interesting that it has 11 hp and 10 DR. Still, very cool idea, and I really like it. Dunno what shivering touch is, haven't heard of that spell. Looks good to me, fun idea, little floaty ice archon. Put a link in the main MitP II thread for this.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 02:00 AM
I would decrease the DR to 5/evil and magic.
Survival no longer needs to be specialized by environment, IIRC,

I'm not sure that Aura of Cold should grant a +5 untyped bonus to AC. Either give it a type or decrease the bonus.

Also, the advancement line is confusing. Is a 5 HD Snowy Archon Small or Medium?

XtheYeti
2007-04-16, 07:15 AM
sweet monster, maybe add a at will ray of frost?

The_Cowinator
2007-04-16, 07:24 PM
Starting from the top...

I got the CR from Vorpal Tribble, and I think I'll keep with that. Shivering Touch is from Frostburn, and it's 3d6 DEX damage on a touch, no save (BROKEN!!).

Reducing DR is a good idea. The advancement is when there is a point where there is a bit of overlap, and it's the DM's choice.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 07:42 PM
There are no other creatures that I know of that have that kind of overlap. I would say 3-5 small, 6-10 medium.

In addition to shivering touch being completely broken and thus making this creature (as currently written) unlikely to get my vote anyway, how can it even deliver the spell if it "hover[s] just out of their opponents reach and then use their Aura of Cold and spell-like abilities to incapacitate their foes"? Shivering Touch is, IIRC, a touch spell.

Also: it's tongues, not tounges, and suppressed is spelled thusly.

The_Cowinator
2007-04-16, 10:04 PM
Now I get bashed on my spelling:smallfrown:

Anyways...

Check the feats now. I think I fixed it.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-16, 10:19 PM
Now your Initiative is off. A 16 Dex is only a +3 modifier.

The_Cowinator
2007-04-16, 11:55 PM
Just can't get it right can I...:smallfurious:

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-20, 12:33 PM
Hm. Shivering Touch, I think, is a bit too powerful for 1/round. Move it to 3/day and I think that'll be fine-ish. It'll get my vote.

Danu
2007-04-21, 06:46 PM
Shivering touch, in my personal opinion, is a busted spell. A 3rd level spell that can take down any dragon... if you manage to beat it's spell resistance and do at least average damage.

While most creatures have higher then a Dex of 10, a good shivering touch can take down a lot of critters, simply because they can no longer defend themselves. Dex of 0 = helpless.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-22, 03:48 PM
I agree that it's a broken spell, but this is a good enough concept that if Cowinator's determined to have it, I'm not going to veto it just on the grounds of using a broken spell. Using a broken spell 1/round, on the other hand, is a deal-breaker.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-28, 07:08 PM
Please take the critiques into account and update your creature, or at least make a statement that it's staying the way it is, and tough nuggets to anyone who wants it otherwise.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:23 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people.

TheLogman
2007-06-13, 06:29 PM
Absolutely Yes, this thing is Cold, (Which the list needs more of) Good, (See Cold) and a lower CR (You get it by now). Plus, it has this floating ball of cold Flavor that I like.

MitP: Yes

Icewalker
2007-06-13, 06:50 PM
You don't need to write in a yes, this post has a poll on it. It was made before they were removed.

TheLogman
2007-06-13, 08:05 PM
Ya I know, I voted too, I just wanted to congragulate your awesome.

Maerok
2007-06-13, 08:19 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

DragonTounge
2007-06-15, 11:39 AM
Since it says, or at least it say it on my computer, that the polls are closed and I can't vote in the poll up at the top I'll just put MitP Vote: Yes! Awesome monster.

stolenchariot
2007-06-15, 11:58 AM
I'm saying yes.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 09:37 PM
Hmmn, Skills seem to be a bit out of whack. You should get [5 x (8 - 2)] or six Skills each with five Ranks. After adjustments, that should work out as:

Concentration 5(6)
Diplomacy 5(5)
Knowledge (Planar) 5(3)
Listen 5(5)
Survival 5(5)
Spot 5(5)

Anxe
2007-06-30, 07:09 AM
I'm gonna say no on this one. The amount of damage this thing can deal is completely out of whack with the amount it can take. Mitp: No. For some reason I can't vote in the poll.