PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ratings/comments on some Warlock features

Ardantis
2015-04-20, 06:31 PM
I've looked through Pactmaking 101, and I still had a few questions about Warlocks.

- How useful is the improved familiar from Pact of the Chain? How does he stack up to, say, the wizard familiar spell or the Beastmaster's Animal Companion?

- Pact of the Tome gives access to any three cantrips and ritual casting. What's so special about it? It doesn't seem strong to me.

- What are the best Mystic Arcanum high level spells for Warlocks? Which patrons have stronger low vs. high level spells?

Yagyujubei
2015-04-20, 07:06 PM
I've looked through Pactmaking 101, and I still had a few questions about Warlocks.

- How useful is the improved familiar from Pact of the Chain? How does he stack up to, say, the wizard familiar spell or the Beastmaster's Animal Companion?

-There are a couple things to note about this, 1) improved familiars are considerably better than the normal ones, and 2)through pact of the chain (though this is debated so ask your DM first) you should be able to share all the resistances/immunities that your familiar has which can be HUGE. lastly voices of chain master gives you unlimited range communication which is pretty baller

- Pact of the Tome gives access to any three cantrips and ritual casting. What's so special about it? It doesn't seem strong to me.

-The idea here is that for a class with such limited casting, being able to get access to an additional 29 spells that you can cast WITHOUT using a spell slot is a pretty fricking huge deal. yeah they aren't flashy battle spells but the utility here is incredible.

- What are the best Mystic Arcanum high level spells for Warlocks? Which patrons have stronger low vs. high level spells?

-as far as patrons, it's all about play style. archfey has invisibility and dominate spells which are always good, fiend has fireball, or flameshield for select bladelock builds., old one...more dominate spells and evrards black tentacles is pretty great CC. as for MA spell choices in my opinions the obvious ones are conjure fey or mass suggestion at 6, force cage at 7, feeblemind or dominate monster at 8, and foresight or true polymorph at 9

answers in quote

Ardantis
2015-04-21, 09:23 AM
Thanks! Makes sense to me. The Tome feel is very utilitarian, then- no real additional combat options.

It sounds like the chain pact is for bonuses/scouting/rp. Both Tome and Chain are best friends with Eldritch Blast for combat then.

There's only a few high level spells worth considering, and they're universally available. The patrons determine whether or not you rely on damage or save or suck for your spells.

Right?

odigity
2015-04-21, 10:21 AM
Don't forget there's a second Warlock guide on the WOTC site:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4133456