PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Balancing Domains

Afgncaap5
2015-04-20, 08:14 PM
tl;dr - Is giving a deity the Fire domain and Earth domain too powerful?

Okay, so, I'm starting some initial forays into designing custom deities for my campaign setting, and was considering 3.5-era domains. While a lot of gods could theoretically have many, many domains, it seems to me that it's a decent "balancing feature" to only have certain mixes of domains.

One deity in particular I wanted to refine was basically a highly revered Volcano (in actuality depicted as a sort of Poseidon-like dwarf deity, but often said to literally be a particular volcano on a certain island.) I'd thought about giving a number of domains (Destruction, Protection, Death, etc.) and the two most obvious ones were Fire and Earth. Those are both some pretty powerful domains (and, at higher levels, would allow Clerics to use Turn checks to influence *any* creature with an elemental subtype between them.) That seems strong. On the other hand, though, Obad-Hai gets all of the Elemental domains and could, theoretically, get the same thing. So, should I worry about which domains an individual has, or is this concern not anything to worry about?

Seerow
2015-04-20, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. By RAW clerics of a cause that cherry pick the domains they want already exist. Individual gods having limited domain access is all about flavor, not balance.

Temotei
2015-04-20, 11:26 PM
What Seerow said. In a world wherein many clerics can just ignore restrictions on domains, a deity's domain selection doesn't really mean much.

So pick what fits (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9955426&postcount=1)! :smalltongue: [/shamelessplug]