PDA

View Full Version : Aarakocra monk and increased movement speed

EvanescentHero
2015-04-20, 09:16 PM
Monks get speed increases at some point (AFB, so I forget when). The text just says that the monk's speed increases, not accounting for alternate speeds (swim, fly, etc) that a character might have. I don't think this is that big a deal, since there are no races in the PHB that have anything besides a walking speed. However, I have a player in an upcoming group who may play an aarakocra monk, so I was wondering what you all thought about how the fly speed and the monk's increased speed should interact.

Personally, I think since the fly speed is already higher than the walking speed, I'll only allow her increase to apply to walking speed, at least until the walking speed matches the flying speed.

BootStrapTommy
2015-04-20, 09:51 PM
Book uses the generic term "speed". Meaning all of them.

Naanomi
2015-04-20, 10:19 PM
The same is true, less impressively, of a Water Gensai monk and their swim speed

EvanescentHero
2015-04-20, 11:06 PM

I understand that, but I don't feel like the already borderline strongest race needs another power boost. I know what the rules say, but I wanted to know if anyone else had considered this issue and what they would do in this situation.

HoarsHalberd
2015-04-20, 11:37 PM
I understand that, but I don't feel like the already borderline strongest race needs another power boost. I know what the rules say, but I wanted to know if anyone else had considered this issue and what they would do in this situation.

To be honest it's not that big a deal unless they go some kind of munchkinny grapple drop combo you could see a mile off. The only time it's likely to come into play is if the players decide to run and let the slowest get eaten (bad players) or they're scouting (in which case it's just a judicious focus of skills.) I think most monks would rather the walking speed and hide in lightly obscuring woodland from woodelves.

MinotaurWarrior
2015-04-21, 05:14 AM
Yeah, there's other things (boots of speed) that specify which speed they increase. Monk unarmored movement is generic.

Honestly, what you've got to remember is that Monks are a Melee Class, and the flight speed is basically all the birdfolk get. They're a great choice for monk, but I know that I'd still rather choose wood elf.

EvanescentHero
2015-04-21, 08:04 AM
All right guys, thanks for the input. I'll probably let her fly speed increase as well then.