PDA

View Full Version : Best moment

Icewalker
2007-04-16, 12:03 AM
Your favorite DnD moments. I'll go first!

(note: first edition)
we were walking single file out of the dungeon, and there were 42 ogres and an ogre boss waiting for us. They won iniative. We killed all of them before they could act.

The magic-user had a cloak that gave her an automatic suprise round, meteor swarm killed all 42 of em, and the second guy walking out has a special ability that allows him a pre-iniative arrow, and he was a high level ranger with ogres as a chosen enemy. Ogre boss goes down.

JackMage666
2007-04-16, 12:10 AM
Tonight, when my DM kindly gave me a Manticore corpse to animate as an Incarnate Zombie....

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 12:13 AM
BBEG fight that had was 5 years in the making, stood up to make his grand speech and walked toward us, the wizard cast grease...

Takamari
2007-04-16, 02:24 AM
We are told that a horde of orcs is threatening a nearby village. We are unsure, but we go with it. After we defeat all the orcs, who oddly, try to negociate, we go back to town to recieve our thanks and rewards. As we are leaving town, the recurring BBEG appears, throws us a sack of platnum and magic items, says "Thanks for doing my dirty work", and vanishes.

We almost killed our DM.

Vyker
2007-04-16, 02:47 AM
My players befriended an old man who spent all his time fishing and doing eccentric old-man type things. Of course, old men are never just old men in D&D, and neither was this 'un! A deposed god in exile, the players work up enough of a rapport with him that he entrusts them with a sealed message along with dire warnings of not to open it and emphasis on how important it is. He sends them to go meet up with a lord several kingdoms down the road, with instructions to deliver it.

Well, this served as the underlying goal of the characters for a few months, as they adventured their way through the intervening territory, getting themselves into and out of unrelated trouble with startling frequency. At several points along the way, the characters contemplate giving up their travels, but carry on anyhow because they remember how important it was to that old man. For those of you keeping score at home, I had nothing to do with this encouragement, perfectly content to let them find their own path or none at all as the whim struck them -- but somehow this old guy had worked his way into their hearts all on his own, and by hook or by crook they were going to deliver his message!

Finally, they make contact with the lord in question, several of them on death's door, one of them suffering from daemonic possession, and the rest very proud of what they've done. Imagine their expression when, upon reading the letter, the lord smiles, walks over to a chessboard, and moves a single piece.

"Thank you. You're dismissed."

That was fun.

random11
2007-04-16, 02:57 AM
Making the players climb a tall mountain, fight monsters so they can reach a cave and draw a sword from a stone.
The fighter then throws his current weapon into lava (one of the conditions required to draw the sword) only to discover that it's just a handle of a sword that is placed on a stone...

BTW, the item was magical, I'm not THAT evil.