PDA

View Full Version : The Fu Lakes Lagoon Talks

The Blue Guard
2015-04-20, 11:41 PM
The Fu Lakes Lagoon Talks
Winter, 527

Valasharix (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXRJBK8oJSA), dominated by Mount Anirkarva, and bordered in the north by the Great Desert, is very, very hot. The fact that most of the land is covered in dark volcanic rock that soaks up sunlight just makes things worse. In summer, the temperature becomes what the Sharix consider comfortable, but that most other races of Telluris consider torturous. Thankfully, the Sharix had chosen to host the talks in winter, when the temperature drops to ‘unnecessarily hot’. Crossing the black wastes of western Valasharix, then, was not as unpleasant as it could have been. Western Valasharix could certainly use some variation in its views, though. Miles and miles of black rocks, and only the occasional vashna buzzing around to break up the monotony.

The view on the road to Shalisha, sadly, does get worse. The closer to the city a traveller comes, the closer to the Dragonbone Steppes they come. That vast and desolate place is today cut off from Shalisha by the Red Canal, but even so, the vast skeletal remains of what had to be a dragon of mind-boggling strength is plain to see.

Compared to that chilling sight, the tall, black walls of Shalisha are a welcoming sight. Built onto, and into, the northern slope of Anirkarva, it was made out of the black rock endemic to the region. However, once through the dark outer wall of the city the world explodes into a riot of color. Murals decorate the walls of almost every building; the exception being government and civil guard buildings. Here, a mural depicting the new cocoa trees on the Black River, and there, a mural of the spring from which the Black River is formed. The people, though, due to the cold, wear heavy clothing to keep themselves warm.

The rooms that the delegates were assigned for the duration of their visit were in one of several new buildings in the city. A stone's throw away from the parliament buildings, it was clearly built to host foreign visitors, and its design was meant to help keep them cool. Like the pavilion the Sharix had made for themselves at the Tellurian Games furs were common, but unlike the pavilion tables and chairs were in evidence. A friendly staff of Sharix, too, was on hand to handle the needs of visitors. They were free to roam the city while the talks proceeded, though it was advised they told people where they were going. Once both delegations had arrived, though, the talks began the same day.

Just as the other rooms, the meeting room was built for the comfort of non-Sharix. A single, triangular table neatly filled most of the middle, and chairs had been spaced out around it. The Prime Minister, her Minister of Finance, and her Minister of Foreign Affairs, all sat on one side of the table.

The Prime Minister stood. "I would like to welcome you all to Shalisha myself, first. I do hope you've enjoyed your stay so far, and I do hope our talks will be productive. Now, before we lay out our proposition, we feel it would only be proper to hear any propositions you have of your own." Smiling, she sat back down.

QuintonBeck
2015-04-21, 01:56 PM
The Prefect of Niemida, Pinna Grant-Tremblor Shinwa arrived with a relatively small retinue composed of two Shinan and two Jinsa representatives of the largest villages laying along the Lakes and Lagoon that the Red Canal opened itself into. Having heard of the heat of Valasharix they wore little, harkening back to the Prefect's Islander heritage with open vests and loose baggy pants but they still sweated profusely in the baking region. It didn't seem to bother the delegation though, or if it did they refused to show it, and they nodded their greetings to the Prime Minister and listened to his words.

"Thank you for hosting us Minister, as for our propositions, they are relatively simple. Grant our Prefecture right to both trading posts in the regions through which your canal is planned to pass. If such is assured us there will be no cause for our Prefecture to ever again stand opposed to the economic use of the canal by anyone who seeks to pass through it."

The Prefect smiled, his eyes sharp as he examined the Sharix leader.

Philote
2015-04-22, 04:06 PM
Queen Mirian Freeform rode in along with a large retinue from Esuma. A carnival troupe joined the diplomatic party as a sign of friendship to bring joy to the population while the Esumans stayed with the populace despite the diplomatic talks themselves being quite serious. Mirian and her group were not used to the heat of this region but they keep their discomforts to themselves. After repairing their facial paint from the heat and adjusting their Garb from its travel state to more ocean themed dresses and suits, Mirian and her group joins the discussion.

Prime Minister Alixvara Tierrasha, I believe our predecessors discussed this canal but we can start this discussion anew. In the past, the Caramel Kingdom has offered to work with your empire in the establishment and maintenance of this canal, offering to provide labor and fair use of the canal for both of our empires. This was of course denied by your empire in the past. Your empire has since started establishing this canal as a private work during your rule, excluding the neighboring empires that would also be affected by its construction. As it stands, the Caramel Kingdom is not looking for conflict, but we do not appreciate this canal being built to pass our borders while at the same time trying to exclude our cooperation. I'll finish by saying that it is not so much the canal that we disapprove of, but the lack of unity and understanding between out empires when we could benefit so much joining together the brightest workers from our citizens.

The Blue Guard
2015-04-22, 05:40 PM
Prime Minister

The Prime Minister remained impassive as she listened intently. Smiling, she turns to the Queen.

"It was not our intent to make you feel excluded from Sharixian engineering endeavors, Queen Mirian," the Prime Minister said in a placating tone. "If you wish we could certainty include your help in the ongoing construction. The next leg of the Red Canal is only the second of three, and is not yet complete. If you took over the completion of the second leg, and aided us with the third, we could finish construction within the next decade."

The Prime Minister turns from the Queen to the Prefect.

"Now, Prefect, I'm sure we can come to a more reasonable compromise. Perhaps a trading post in Triwilix? The leg there will be complete soon, and so open to foreign trade."

Turning to them both the Prime Minister gestured, and one of the staff on hand presents a pair of folders to them.

"Now, as for the more general matter of tax brought up by the Prefect by the blockade. I believe it would be best if we three created a neutral organization that handled this sensitive matter. To put it simply, they would tax ships entering the Red Canal through the Fu Lakes Lagoon estuary, and then distribute it to our three governments."

QuintonBeck
2015-04-22, 05:51 PM
"I'm afraid that doesn't work for us," the Prefect smiled politely, "After all, who would have oversight over this joint committee? Who would ensure the division were fair? No, I think we need to work something out here today that we can all be reasonably happy with in the future. As the Canal passes through two regions worth of our Prefecture's territorial waters I have to say the minimum acceptable trading posts would be an equivalent number. As it opens into the waters of Esuma I would wager they would be owed an equal measure to suffice as tax revenue for opening their waters to trade. So the Sharix Republic would grant three trade posts to her neighbors, two to my Prefecture, one to Esuma. I would be happy to offer a portion of help on one of the stretches to ensure any sense of unjustness was quashed on my end."

Philote
2015-04-22, 05:55 PM
I am interested in the current state of the canal and the remaining work and number of years estimated for its completion. It must all be estimated so that we can each provide appropriate work.

The Blue Guard
2015-04-26, 02:59 AM
Prime Minister

"At its present rate of construction, we expect it to be complete in thirteen years, Queen Mirian," the Prime Minister replied, facing the Queen herself. "While much shorter than the 'Grand Canal' that was formerly the only bridge between the seas of Telluris, the Red Canal covers difficult terrain, and in order to minimize the need for locks we will be forced to take a somewhat circuitous route at time. With your help, I feel certain we could lower that to a mere eight years, if you were able to begin aiding construction immediately, that is."

"Now, I'm afraid we cannot agree to those terms," she said, turning to the Prefect. "We have already pledged to allow the city-state of Praeclarus to construct a trade post in Valasharix, and we do not have the facilities to accommodate their trade post and another at this time. If whoever wished to build a trade post in Valashraix were prepared to wait until such a time as the appropriate facilities, however, we could agree to the terms."

QuintonBeck
2015-04-26, 02:34 PM
"We will be happy to wait of course, assuming your nation can await usage of the Canal until such a time as those debts can be settled for until then our Prefecture will be forced to maintain a blockade as you no doubt understand."

The Blue Guard
2015-04-27, 01:10 PM
Prime Minister

"Prefect, the Red Canal isn't finished. Even assuming that you wished to build the trade posts in Valasharix and Maisel, you would need to wait seven years. If you had your eyes set on Kakowokula instead, you would need to wait thirteen years. Regardless of your decision, you will be forced to wait. The only significant choice here is whether you create good will by allowing us to honor a prior agreement first, or ill will by asking us to accommodate you at the expense of another."