PDA

View Full Version : Unleashing the Zombie Apocalypse with Fell Animate

Heikold
2015-04-21, 05:36 AM
I've been thinking about the Fell Animate metamagic feat.

Fell Animate
( Libris Mortis: The Book of Undead, p. 26)

[Metamagic]

Living foes slain by your spell may rise as zombies.

You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes. Any living creature that could normally be raised as a zombie and that does not possess more than double your Hit Dice, when slain outright by a fell animated spell, rises as a zombie under your control at the beginning of your next action. Even if you kill several creatures with a single fell animated spell, you can't create more Hit Dice of undead than twice your caster level. The standard rules for controlling undead (see animate dead, page 198 of the Player's Handbook) apply to newly created undead gained through this metamagic feat. A fell animated spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Does anyone know of a spell to give bonus damage to all creatures in an area? Or just to a certain kind of creature (undead for example)? Preferably something that persists over a long period of time and affects anyone in the area.

The plan is, as I'm sure you've already guessed, to cast said spell with Fell Animate and have it so that anyone killed in the area rises from the dead.

If you've got any other fun ways of abusing this feat though I'd love to hear them as I'm planning an undead heavy campaign and you guys always have the best tricks :smalltongue:

Mystral
2015-04-21, 05:38 AM
Cast greater consumptive field, fell animated and persistent, with liberal applications of divine metamagic. Fly over a few cities while invisible. Most commoners have less than 10 HP.

Also, you become stronger than the big bang after the first metropolis.

Edit: Never mind, spell only works for damage spells. Still a nice combo.

You can't create infinite undead with it, anyway, so I guess any wide area damage spell will do.

Heikold
2015-04-21, 06:00 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The wording is "spell that deals damage to foes".

Now if I were to give everyone in a city 2D6 bonus damage, that would qualify I'd have thought. I just don't know any way of achieving that! Maybe there's a cheese route that I haven't considered.

Mystral
2015-04-21, 06:02 AM
Is there even a point in doing that? It will still only be one casting of a fell animated spell and thus can't create more than 2* your caster level. Which would mean your casterlevel in humans reanimated as zombies.

danzibr
2015-04-21, 06:10 AM
you can't create more Hit Dice of undead than twice your caster level
It doesn't say you make them and they aren't under you control. You just don't create them.

kaffalidjmah
2015-04-21, 06:12 AM
A changeling recaster can do a nice thing...horrid whilting (level 8 necro PHB if i spelled it wrong) casted so that everyone near 9 meter to anyone take Xd6 damage. You can kill an entire metropolis with it.

Rubik
2015-04-21, 06:58 AM
Fell Animate Control Weather. Send a tornado raging through the largest cities you can find.

Or you could craft an air molecule into a self-replicating Wish trap that turns another molecule of air into a trap exactly like it before casting Fell Animate Mass Inflict Critical Wounds followed by Teleport to take itself somewhere else and repeating the process.

Mystral
2015-04-21, 07:05 AM
Fell Animate Control Weather. Send a tornado raging through the largest cities you can find.

Or you could craft an air molecule into a self-replicating Wish trap that turns another molecule of air into a trap exactly like it before casting Fell Animate Mass Inflict Critical Wounds followed by Teleport to take itself somewhere else and repeating the process.

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/groups/1/3/2055/thumb_620x2000/800px-1207335921499.jpg

Heikold
2015-04-21, 07:05 AM
It doesn't say you make them and they aren't under you control. You just don't create them.

Damn. I missed that. Never mind.

Rubik
2015-04-21, 07:17 AM
Oh, and add Fell Drain to the trap, too, so if something dies to the negative level but not the damage, they turn into a self-replicating wight.

ben-zayb
2015-04-21, 08:00 AM
Oh, and add Fell Drain to the trap, too, so if something dies to the negative level but not the damage, they turn into a self-replicating wight.

Personally, I prefer just letting the first wave of Fell Drain Control Weather wights do tgeir thing until the caster regains its slots for another wave (repeated ad infinitum).