PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft 2? Probably not, but...

Setra
2007-04-16, 02:46 AM
Supposedly Blizzard is finally coming out with Starcraft 2 around the end of this year.

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/779/779920p1.html

Only a rumor, one that I doubt, but it'd be nice.

The Orange Zergling
2007-04-16, 03:51 AM
As cool as it would be, it wouldn't be as good as the original. Not a snow-ball's chance in Hell. The Kerrigan-esque race seems rather... I dunno, just doesnt seem as right as the other three. Infested Protoss, maybe?

But unless I hear it from Blizzard's mouth, I'm not taking it as truth.

blackout
2007-04-16, 04:01 AM
Please, Please! Please, Let It Be True, Gods Of Gaming!

tgva8889
2007-04-16, 04:20 AM
Would be nice. I'd definately buy it, considering how good their first copy was. As long as the campaign editor that comes with it is a good one, where you can do tons of cool stuff, I'm all good.

I'm looking forward to another civilization, and a continuation of the storyline. That will be extremely cool.

Probably not real, though, considering Blizzard has that stupid game called World of Warcraft to bring in the dough...

Reinboom
2007-04-16, 05:53 AM
This would be around the correct time to start to release it.
"And for it's 10th anniversary..!"
However, I was expecting for the 4th race to be Xel'Naga as well.

Pronounceable
2007-04-16, 07:51 AM
I'm certain Blizzard's next game will be Starcraft 2. Can't be Warcraft 4, WoW is too recent; can't be Diablo 3, they did LoD before W3. It'll be either something new, or SC2. Tenth anniversary is approaching.

However, they might surprise us and release SC2 on the 10th anniversary (extremely unlikely).

For this new race: Kerrigan has been fooling around with the zerg, a little bit of "creating in her own image" perhaps?

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 07:59 AM
Whatever happened to Starcraft: Ghost?

Pronounceable
2007-04-16, 08:02 AM
I believe he's training with Duke Nukem...

ufo
2007-04-16, 08:06 AM
I believe he's training with Duke Nukem...

Answer of the year :smallbiggrin:

Kerrigan based race? Sounds incredibly boring. Zerg with... sneakiness? Xel'Naga? More likely, but still doesn't sound very different from Protoss or something like that.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-16, 08:14 AM
Zerg with more psionic abilities. Probably a mix of zerg crossed with terran, protoss, and possibly xel naga.

You guys remember why Blizzard took the proposed 6 races of warcraft 3 down to four? Because 1) they all felt the same, and 2) Demons of Chaos and death mining gold didn't really make sense.

The Xel Naga may simply be too powerful to be a player (battle.net) race, as per Starcraft canon. Or maybe not.

It's also to create different yet balanced races. I think Starcraft is a testament to what an RTS should be. Each race is unique, requiring very different strategy, yet each race is quite balanced against the other (so long as you're not zerg and do something dumb, like letting the the 'toss get masss carriers).

Catch
2007-04-16, 09:17 AM
Whatever happened to Starcraft: Ghost?

Vaporware. Blizzard hasn't had the experience with consoles to make an exclusive. I can think of... two. Lost Vikings for the GBA which was an arcade game and pretty simple and the N64 port of StarCraft which was horrible.

Ghost wasn't developed by Blizzard, instead by Nihilistic, then passed to Swingin' Ape Studios, which they bought in 2005. You may or may not have heard of the string of resignations in 2002 most notably the entire Nihilistic Software development team and the original developers of StarCraft as the result of an internal power struggle with Blizzard. At the time, it was reported that about 85% of the game engine and 40% of all level designs were completed.

The short of it is that it has been postponed indefinably, with vague suggestions that they "...fully intend to revisit the world of StarCraft on PC at some point in the future," though they've been obstinate on making a second RTS in the genre.

I hope it's Ghost or SCII, but don't get your hopes too high.

elliott20
2007-04-16, 09:18 AM
I don't really think SC2 is going to coming anyy time soon. considering how much marketting buzz blizzard usually attaches to ANY of their products, this would have been a big announcement already.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-16, 09:26 AM
... Disconnect the original Starcraft servers?

Stop me if I'm wrong, but aren't the original Diablo servers still up?

And they have been up for eleven years, correct?

Anyway, adding two more units is expansion-pack fare. Did Blizzard add two new units between Warcraft II and III?

... so yeah, this is a pretty stupid rumor.

Catch
2007-04-16, 09:36 AM
I don't really think SC2 is going to coming anyy time soon. considering how much marketting buzz blizzard usually attaches to ANY of their products, this would have been a big announcement already.

I disagree. Upon the release of their new products, Blizzard heralds them with pomp and fanfare, but during development, they're often quite silent.

When they were working on World of Warcraft, it was pretty much a dark horse. Nobody knew anything until it was out. Hell, I had friends in the beta and even then it was on the down-low.

Om
2007-04-16, 09:39 AM
Given the love that Blizzard has for sequels I think its really only a matter of time before we see an SC2. I look forward to the day that the internet collapses under the outraged posts of StarCraft "veterans" on the release of the sequel.

elliott20
2007-04-16, 09:47 AM
I have to say though, Blizzard is one of the few game makers out there who can actually make a balanced game worth a damn.

Setra
2007-04-16, 01:03 PM
Given the love that Blizzard has for sequels I think its really only a matter of time before we see an SC2. I look forward to the day that the internet collapses under the outraged posts of StarCraft "veterans" on the release of the sequel.
Hundreds of Gosu stood up, outraged! Then instantly sat back down, out of breath.

triforcel
2007-04-16, 02:44 PM
I have been looking forward to Starcraft 2 for a long time. I also expect a Zerg-Protoss race more than a Kerrigan-esque one. If you remember the Dark Origin mission in Brood War then you know that Samir Duran who is neither Terran nor Zerg was experimenting with Protoss-Zerg hybrids

The Lost Vikings was originally a game for the Genesis and SNES put out by Interplay which I can only assume has been integrated into Blizzard somehow.

Ronsian
2007-04-16, 02:55 PM
Maybe? There have been so many hints... Blizzard said when WoW came out that within the tenth year they would be back to SC (I assume from the anniversary, 2015 is too long). Blizzard also said that by the end of the year they would have 3 titles out (not finished games, titles). As for WoW, everyone knew it was coming out, but not when. It was pushed back many times, but it came out. Plus, Blizzard doesn't want to just be known for WoW, they could win loads of awards if they do the second one right. Only 2 additional units? I can believe it, it's hard to add lots of balanced units. The new race, I imagine to be Xel'naga-ish. I can't quite believe they would take out all the old servers, it would be awhile before it's fully populated.

Morrandir
2007-04-16, 05:30 PM
To those trying to figure out what the 'new race' could be, play through the Brood War Zerg campaign. When you get to the mission to kill everything in a certain amount of time, do it as fast as possible. Easiest way is to turn on invincibility and just send everything in there.

If you do it fast enough, you go to the secret mission, "Dark Origins." Play through that, and then you'll know.

Must say, it should be pretty cool. Gotta be a SC2 eventually. So many unanswered questions...

(Hope I didn't spoiler anything. Don't see how I could, unless you're REALLY behind the times.)

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-04-16, 08:26 PM
I'd have an SC-gasm if SC2 actually happened. I literally played that game from sunup to sundown for what seemed like decades. I could not get enough of that game... so perfect... so maddening... yet so much FUN!!!

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 08:27 PM
well if it does sweet, and i to thought the new race would be the Xel'Naga

Icewalker
2007-04-16, 08:28 PM
I was expecting Xel'Naga as well. I think they will be making a second one, although not neccesarily that soon, but I'm pretty sure there will be one. Kerrigan race sounds pretty boring though.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-16, 08:30 PM
i agree with Icewalker....borining and kind of odd since she is an infected terran

turtleant120
2007-04-17, 02:24 AM
Bet blizzards next games gonna be WOS- World of Starcraft.:smalltongue:

The Evil Thing
2007-04-17, 02:57 AM
World of Starcraft was Gamespot's April Fool's Joke last year, I believe.

Reinboom
2007-04-17, 03:25 AM
worldofstarcraft was also an empty folder randomly sitting on the root of blizzard's web site for a couple of weeks and the source of a lot of sudden rumors.

Elidyr
2007-04-17, 03:43 AM
I shudder to think of Starcraft with heroes, which I assume they'll do. All the fun tactics ruined by the constant micromanagement of babysitting your heroes.

Zangor
2007-04-17, 03:52 AM
Heh. Starcraft 2? I'll believe it when they release Duke Nukem Forever. (Make Duke a hidden unit! Bwahahahah)

Khoran
2007-04-17, 04:12 AM
Why must you lie to me? Why must you taunt me with that which I desire most in life? Does it bring you some form of sick joy to give me a shred of hope only to set it ablaze moments later?

In all serioussness though, I would for SCII to come out, it would make my year!

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-17, 04:24 AM
I wonder if Korea does april fools day. That article (of a translated article) is dated april 11.

Krade
2007-04-18, 02:08 PM
I am more interested in a story resolution than an actual game. Even if they make it, and it sucks horribly, I would still buy it and play through it at least once. I WANT MY RESOLUTION DAMMIT!!!

KeiranHalcyon
2007-04-18, 08:12 PM
I am more interested in a story resolution than an actual game. Even if they make it, and it sucks horribly, I would still buy it and play through it at least once. I WANT MY RESOLUTION DAMMIT!!!

Never gonna happen. Plot resolutions make it harder to release sequels, which is how they continue to make money.

After what Blizzard did to the plot of Warcraft III (namely, rip off Starcraft's plot using Warcraft characters), I kinda hope they don't make SC2.

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-18, 08:53 PM
Never gonna happen. Plot resolutions make it harder to release sequels, which is how they continue to make money.

After what Blizzard did to the plot of Warcraft III (namely, rip off Starcraft's plot using Warcraft characters), I kinda hope they don't make SC2.

They might ripoff the Warcraft III plot...

Fenix: "Raynor, what are you doing?"
Raynor: "Succeeding you."
*SPLORTCH*

Setra
2007-04-18, 08:55 PM
I dunno, D2 seemed kind of resolute.

Diablo is dead, and this time no one was stupid enough to stick his soulstone in their head.

darkdm
2007-04-18, 09:28 PM
I think it would be a great addition to the RTS genre if it was a good game. I would personally look forward to the day they came out with SC2.

And a brief note on plot resolution: they could have a completely separate story line with separate characters and call it Starcraft. So I think it’s entirely possible to have a SC2 without plot continuation and see no reason why they shouldn't.

KeiranHalcyon
2007-04-18, 09:33 PM
I agree. But they didn't seem to think that would work with Warcraft.

Krade
2007-04-18, 09:49 PM
They might ripoff the Warcraft III plot...

Fenix: "Raynor, what are you doing?"
Raynor: "Succeeding you."
*SPLORTCH*
I know the game's a little old to be using plot spoilers, but still...
Umm... Kerrigan killed Fenix.
And even if they did do that (the fact that Fenix is dead (for real this time) notwithstanding), I would lose all faith in Blizzard as Raynor would never do that because Fenix was just about his only friend.

nivek1234
2007-04-19, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't mind SC2 coming out. In the end, I would most likely buy it. I did not plan and never do plan to buy SC: Ghost if it is a first person shooter.

Endeavourl
2007-04-19, 12:32 AM
I thought blizzard was making too much money off of WoW to care about developing anything else :smallannoyed:

Setra
2007-04-19, 08:34 AM
I thought blizzard was making too much money off of WoW to care about developing anything else :smallannoyed:
There's an old saying that covers this...

"You can never have too much money"

Duffren
2007-04-19, 06:08 PM
I hope they make a Starcraft 2. Then I can see if people will finally stop trusting Kerrigan! That drove me nuts in the single player campaigns!

Endeavourl
2007-04-19, 06:31 PM
There's an old saying that covers this...

"You can never have too much money"

Considering WoW makes them money each month, but starcraft 2 will only make them one time money when the game sells...

Ronsian
2007-04-19, 08:38 PM
WoW makes money. Do you know how many awards Starcraft got? Korea is DEVOTED to it. You could call it their sport. Ask ANY person who has EVER played ANYTHING resembling a RTS, and if they haven't heard of it, they live under a rock. Besides, if SC 2 came out, it would shatter most records within 30 minutes. Blizzard has said many times they do not want to be a one hit wonder (WoW).

Ethdred
2007-04-20, 07:18 AM

Diablo is dead, and this time no one was stupid enough to stick his soulstone in their head.

And at the end of Terminator 2 every bit of terminator is destroyed so there's no way there could ever be a T3. Oh, hang on...

Setra
2007-04-20, 10:07 AM
And at the end of Terminator 2 every bit of terminator is destroyed so there's no way there could ever be a T3. Oh, hang on...
Point well taken, but I wonder.. what would sell more.. D3? Or SC2?

Considering WoW makes them money each month, but starcraft 2 will only make them one time money when the game sells...Starcraft 2 would also probably sell over 10 million copies, I'm not quite sure how much it would cost to make but I'm fairly sure that's a large profit.

Besides it's not like they don't have the time to make it.

tgva8889
2007-04-20, 10:13 PM
I was about to go into a whole rant about Terminator and how Skynet should have no problem destroying the past, but I won't.

While it would be awesome to see, as I said before, I just don't think it will happen. I mean, it could, no doubt, but I don't think it will. Besides, I'm content with my Starcraft game.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-20, 10:18 PM

There's still the matter of the Worldstone...

Setra
2007-04-21, 08:34 AM
There's still the matter of the Worldstone...
Wasn't that destroyed by Tyreal?

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-21, 11:09 AM
Wasn't that destroyed by Tyreal?
Yeah, but even HE didn't know what the consequences of such an action would be.
In other words, wide open for a sequel, they just need to pick the form of handwavium to return the big 3 with. Or something. Even if they don't bring back diablo, they've still got that sequel option open.

Exachix
2007-04-21, 11:15 AM
I'm still waiting for Starcraft: Ghost for PC.

Starcraft 2 would have to be very very good.

Larrin
2007-04-21, 11:30 AM
I find it unlikely that anything in the cited article is based on anything other then fantasy. it smacks of rather unimaginitive trolling (trying to get people all riled up because "new race will be lame" and "only 2 new units" and "shutting down servers") on the part of the koreans who did it. None of it really sounds like blizzard....espeacially the part about it coming out by the end of 2007. After Blizzard anounces starcraft 2 ( and i hope they do someday) it will be a long road to the actuall product. Blizards takes forever, but thats why they have three of the most successful Video game series.

Morrandir
2007-04-21, 02:11 PM
Well, Bliz tends to not announce things until the trucks are on the way to ship it out to stores...

So, for all we know, this article could be a hoax, but they might be working on SC2. Gotta be doing something, since the speed of the WoW updates show that it can't be even half the dev team working on it...

Beleriphon
2007-04-21, 02:35 PM
I'm still waiting for Starcraft: Ghost for PC.

Your fact is looking a bit blue there mate. Better stop hold you breath.

Ethdred
2007-04-25, 10:41 AM
Starcraft 2 would also probably sell over 10 million copies, I'm not quite sure how much it would cost to make but I'm fairly sure that's a large profit.

Besides it's not like they don't have the time to make it.

AS well as that, there's the difference between a large one-time hit of cash that SC2 would bring (with a continuing stream of sales) and the regular income of WoW. It would actually be very sensible of them to use SC2 to give them the cash to then make some major (and majorly profitable) developments of WoW. And then use the income from WoW to pay the developers of another PC game and then....

Innis Cabal
2007-04-25, 10:47 AM
ya....i see this comming out rather then ghost...still wished it had come out though