PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Animal Companion Question

Nerdguy88
2015-04-21, 08:58 AM
So I'm playing a Half-Daelkyr Druid. I am going for the max amount of animal companions. I am taking wild cohort for a "less powerful" animal companion and taking the beast lord PrC.

My question is this. Is there a way to change feats your animal starts with?

Are there any feats to make them better?

Urpriest
2015-04-21, 09:04 AM
In general, the feats animals are listed with in the MM are just examples, so in principle you could simply call an animal that made different feat choices. Since you don't have that kind of fine control over what you call, though, this requires DM cooperation.

Psychic Reformation is a psionic power that can let a creature re-choose its feats, so if you can communicate what feats the animal should take that would work, though this may fail if the DM rules that the animal has no XP. The Dark Chaos shuffle (Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos) doesn't have this restriction, but is generally cheesier.

In terms of what feats are good, generally they're the same feats that are good for PCs with natural weapons. Improved Unarmed Strike can be useful, though less so at low levels.

Eloel
2015-04-21, 02:26 PM
So I'm playing a Half-Daelkyr Druid. I am going for the max amount of animal companions. I am taking wild cohort for a "less powerful" animal companion and taking the beast lord PrC.

My question is this. Is there a way to change feats your animal starts with?

Are there any feats to make them better?

You should also consider the Beast Heart Adept (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4) from Dungeonscape

Chronos
2015-04-21, 03:53 PM
What alignment are you? Exalted Animal Companion, from BoED, gives them the celestial template, which is sort of nice on its own, but opens them up for all sorts of other great options.